Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Required Reading

A pretty confusing mishmash of an ep, even one where the actual theme was hallucination. Loved Lydia and Styles' unfortunate flashbacks (although didn't Lydia's grandma smother to death courtesy of Brunski?) that tie them together even further. Saddened that Parrish and Lydia did NOTHING untoward together despite hints and promises from other board participants. (Still Victorian. Damn it.) Liked the slight hint that their supe-powers were working in tandem for a moment.

I loathe Hayden and I think they're playing a game with Lydia hearing her name -- that she's a natural and not a Chimera, and she was being harvested not converted. I would be so happy if both Hayden and her big sister were gone soon but they seem so permanent right now.

Loved the Kylhin Rhambo thing (did I even spell that close?) He like Sprayberry is an absolute delight and I treasured his on-screen moments, even if they were with the ever-more-wet-blanketty Kira. Die, Kira, die. B'bye.

Ditto Theo. He's fantastic. I hope he doesn't turn out to be the Nogitsune's new host.

Not enough Parrish.

Stiles' hallucination made his previous hallucination wherein his dad yells at him and blames him for killing his mother make a lot more sense. Kudos for that, writers! The kid they got to play young Scott is way less adorable than Posey really was at that age.Glad he didn't actually drop the class and that he apparently still has his inhaler on campus. 

I hope that new harsh yet concerned teacher lives through the season. Seriously, how does this town recruit police officers, teachers and medical personnel? It's worse than Sunnydale. Had we seen Hayden's cop sister before? 

• Love 1

Way to go, Stiles.  You inexplicably hide what happened last week from EVERYONE and now you've managed to get yourself blackmailed as a result.  The lying and omissions on this show are annoying the living hell out of me.

• Love 1

I feel the same way about the lying.  Why is everyone lying all of sudden this season?  Things that would be shared with the whole pack last season are being kept in the dark for no apparent reason.  I know that they are trying to set up the lies tearing the pack apart but there are better ways to go about it.  And the liars are usually the most blunt, honest, people in the group.

Stiles is lying about Donovan which has already blown up in his face since Theo is now blackmailing him 

Malia is lying about the Desert Wolf to Stiles of all people.  Wasn't he the one helping her look for her?

Scott is lying to Kira about her kitsune.  Which is also going to blow up in his face.  Why isn't he the one trying to figure out what is going on with her?  And the fact that he told Theo that he didn't trust her anymore was kind of ridiculous. 

On that note why isn't Kira trying to figure out what is going on with her?  She has her mother as a source of information and she can also do research on  her own but I have seen no evidence that she is doing so.

I don't like Liam's friend, I feel like they are trying too hard to make her happen.  Way too much time spent on her surly attitude about something that happened ten years ago.  I also don't like how isolated Liam is from the rest of the pack.  

• Love 1

Had we seen Hayden's cop sister before?

Was she the one who got all protective of the Sheriff after Donovan threatened him? (Ep 3) I remember thinking, "Aw, he's a good boss. His deputies love him."

The secrets and lies thing is classic lazy plotting to force drama. Ugh!

(edited)

On that note why isn't Kira trying to figure out what is going on with her?  She has her mother as a source of information and she can also do research on  her own but I have seen no evidence that she is doing so.

I don't like Liam's friend, I feel like they are trying too hard to make her happen.  Way too much time spent on her surly attitude about something that happened ten years ago.  I also don't like how isolated Liam is from the rest of the pack.  

ITA. The whole exchange between Kira and Mason highlighted the problem for me even more .

Kira: Why are you researching Kitsune?

Mason: Because I met one

Kira: Oh.

It boggles my mind that none of the main teens wonder about their super powers. Scott doesn't bug Deaton every day about what a True Alpha can do (it'd be one thing if Deaton said he's only heard unreliable folklore but he's constantly doing that vague mysterious advisor bullshit that drives me mental) while at work. Malia doesn't ask her bio dad about her mother or about her powers (he'd probably lie but it'd probably be amusing). Lydia doesn't ask her mother about their family history or search her grandmother's place for hidden books or anything that might be informative (or asks Peter about how he used her to bring himself back from the dead) or Deaton.

Kira is probably the worst offender, her mother lives with her, is alive, is centuries old and has Oni as body guards/ servants and could tell her all about what a kitsune can do. Instead Kira only asks about her love life being inconvenienced by problematic wolf/fox relationships.

Yeah I don't care about Liam's non girlfriend. We already have enough supernaturals in the main pack we don't need more tertiary supernaturals to join the group already. This isn't Buffy season 6. *sigh*

I wish Scott would ask how packs work from somebody (Satsomi, Deaton, Deucalion, Peter Argent, Gerard Argent or Mexican Hunter Lady) so that he'd learn something about how to run a pack after 2- 5 years of just winging it.

Did Allison's bestiary disappear into thin air along with several of the secondary and main characters ?

On a positive note it was nice seeing Brett and Mason hanging out watching Liam practice and chatting about supernatural nonsense. A nice non date.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 3

A few things, the first of which are eye related:

1. Why didn't Theo's eyes turn to blue? Are we to believe the kid stolen by the Dread Doctors and turned into a creature wasn't an innocent? And I'm really not sure I buy that Theo can be so shady and still yellow-eyed, anyway.  A blue-eyed Theo should be why Stiles and Scott are reluctant to let him into the group, not "the fourth grade!"

2. Why are Malia's eyes blue, again? Back when we all assumed she wolfed out as a child and accidentally killed her mom and sister before, during or after the car crash, it was understandable. But if the *~Desert Wolf~* shot them from the road, that's not Malia's doing. I want more of this, less sad backstory for Liam's Not Girlfriend.  BTW: Lacrosse practice just isn't the same without Coach. So I'll just pretend that was gym class and move on.

3. I thought Lydia was hearing "Aiden" in the surgery room and I was intrigued. If it was just Hayden...I'm still less intrigued.

4. I want to say I'm really frustrated with the abrupt endings, because I am, but at the same time...I think season one was pretty abrupt, too. But I came to that once it was on Netflix so there was no problem jumping straight to the next episode. Maybe this will seem better on rewatch.

5. But mostly, yeah, I agree with whoever said this episode felt less like an episode and more like a mishmash of things, all of which I want to know more about. Except Hayden. Forget Hayden. I feel mean for saying that, because I'm sure her actress is a great person who I wish plenty of success for, but I just don't care about her character.

6. Stiles is really the only thing believable to me in all of this. I get why he hasn't said anything about Donovan. Even thought it was a self defense death, it's still a death he was played a role in, and not while he's been taken over by an evil fox. I do wish the information had come out at the station though. That seemed like a natural time for it. I'm just going to hope there's an even better father-son moment for him and Stilinski down the pipe.

• Love 1

Stiles should have told his father.  His father wouldn't have thrown him into jail.

What's with Scott saying he doesn't know if he could trust Kira?  Where the hell did that come from?  Both Scott and Kira (who I agree, doesn't seem interested as all about anything other than her own relationship with Scott) just go to Kira's mother for more information?  Mason claims to have met another Kitsune and that doesn't interest her?

I'd expect the lying and omissions in Season 1, maybe Season 2.  But Season 5?  After making a big fuss about how they're a pack now?  Ridiculous.  Also, Scott continues to be the worst werewolf in every way.  He's as shitty as a pack leader as he is in a fight.

(edited)

Just because the Desert Wolf shot Malia's mom and sister doesn't mean they died from that. I think their bleeding caused Malia to turn into a Coyote and kill them and eat them. So then technically she did kill them. 

Theo's eyes not being blue is the strange one. Maybe that's showing he's not a bitten werewolf, but a made from the Dread Doctors one. 

I'm also confused, what hasn't Malia told Stiles about what she saw? She did tell him she saw the desert wolf causing the accident, Stiles was asking her about it. I'm glad that Malia isn't buying Theo's helpful puppy act and while she may have been slightly impressed with his body she still questioned his motives. Also see Scott, I told you, you should let Malia do your fighting because you are terrible at it. I wonder if Malia being a hybrid Coyote/Wolf makes a difference. 

Liam's just a fluffy puppy. I hate his love interest story though. I don't care about whatsherface. He needs to be more involved with his pack. 

WTF, is wrong with Kira? She has a living relative that is also a Kitsune to ask questions too. Nobody else has that luxury. If you are having doubts ask your freaking mother, not your dumb boyfriend or a kid you just met. 

Mason claims to have met another Kitsune and that doesn't interest her?

Mason meant the Kitsune he met was Kira. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I was really confused by the burial spots on the football field. That seems a really conspicuous place to incubate your new chimerae.  Were they occupied?  They looked like mounds of dirt, not holes in the ground, so were they supposed to be pre- or post-transformation?

Cody Christian is looking fine, but the best part of his work-out scene was that he blatantly hit on Malia and she shot him down.  That seemed to be a running theme for this episode:  scenes where, in a typical high-school soap opera, a budding couple would realize their attraction to each other get interupted by supernatural events.  Lydia / Parrish, Theo / Malia, Liam / Hayden.

I thought it was interesting that all three halucinations dealt with the loss of a loved one.  Okay, maybe not "interesting" but "plot relevant".  Including Malia's from last week, all of them have been about a childhood trauma.  I hope they're not going to say that the Dread Doctors have been messing with them for years.  I really hope that they're not going to retcon Stiles' mother's illness as a supernatural occurance.

Minor nit-pick:  I thought the club that Hayden worked at was an illegal, occasional rave.  Now it seems to be a weekly if not daily event.  It's sort of stretching my credulity.  I know it's a silly thing to get hung up on in a show about werewolves, but that old saying keeps coming to mind:  "A plausible impossibility is better than an implausible possibility".

A few things, the first of which are eye related:

1. Why didn't Theo's eyes turn to blue? Are we to believe the kid stolen by the Dread Doctors and turned into a creature wasn't an innocent? And I'm really not sure I buy that Theo can be so shady and still yellow-eyed, anyway.  A blue-eyed Theo should be why Stiles and Scott are reluctant to let him into the group, not "the fourth grade!"

2. Why are Malia's eyes blue, again? Back when we all assumed she wolfed out as a child and accidentally killed her mom and sister before, during or after the car crash, it was understandable. But if the *~Desert Wolf~* shot them from the road, that's not Malia's doing. I want more of this, less sad backstory for Liam's Not Girlfriend.  BTW: Lacrosse practice just isn't the same without Coach. So I'll just pretend that was gym class and move on.

3. I thought Lydia was hearing "Aiden" in the surgery room and I was intrigued. If it was just Hayden...I'm still less intrigued.

[snip]

6. Stiles is really the only thing believable to me in all of this. I get why he hasn't said anything about Donovan. Even thought it was a self defense death, it's still a death he was played a role in, and not while he's been taken over by an evil fox. I do wish the information had come out at the station though. That seemed like a natural time for it. I'm just going to hope there's an even better father-son moment for him and Stilinski down the pipe.

Great points.

1.  I thought Theo should have blue eyes also, but I think he's going to turn out to be a successful chimera, so the previously established rules won't apply to him.  His eyes aren't blue despite having killed, and he's able to go full-wolf despite not being super-special like Talia and Derek.

2.  It's not clear to me, but last week it looked like Desert Wolf shot at the car but didn't kill anyone.  Presumably Malia transformed and killed her family after the car ran off the road.  Still no idea why DW was shooting at them, and why she didn't go grab Malia after the wreck (if it was her intent to recover Malia).

3.  I thought Lydia heard "Aiden" also, especially since he appeared in her hallucination in the season premiere flash-forward.

6.  That bugs me too.  Also Theo blackmailing Stiles doesn't work for me at all.  Theo is trying to ingratiate himself into the pack; blackmailing Stiles pretty much guarantees that Stiles will be against him.  "Get me into Scott's pack or I'll tattle about Donovan" doesn't seem likely to work.  Unless they derail Stiles completely, he'd be much more likely to confess to Scott or his dad.

I'm not ready to call that moment blackmail. I think it's Theo playing off of this thing they now have in common (being responsible for deaths) to try to bond with/manipulate Stiles. It's not something Scott can understand, and it's not something Stiles even wants him to know about, so I can see Theo using that to his advantage. What better way to convince Scott to let him into the pack than to get Stiles in his corner even if Scott doesn't know the details behind why?

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't understand what the Desert Wolf was doing either. Was she trying to kill Malia? or see if she would turn and what she would turn into (Coyote or Wolf)? If it was the first one then she's not a very good assassin and if it was the second, why did she just leave after that?

Theo is not brightest is he? He pretty much made both Stiles and Malia suspicious of him.  Although he probably has dumb, trusting True Alpha Scott on his side and of course the old favorite, plot made stupidity, So his plan will probably work for a bit. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Theo is not brightest is he? He pretty much made both Stiles and Malia suspicious of him.  Although he probably has dumb, trusting True Alpha Scott on his side and of course the old favorite, plot made stupidity, So his plan will probably work for a bit. 

Frankly if Theo was an actual villain he would have killed them all while they were sleeping instead of recording Kira's sleep babbling.

Then again why should villains be effective and kill the good guys when they can make elaborate convoluted plans to recruit/kill Scott...

*sigh*

It felt sort of like Liam was on another show for most of the episode since he didn't really interact with the main pack much. Why did he need to go to that club to give her money when he could have handed it to her at school...

It was nice that someone in the pack bothered to learn self defense techniques. It only took 5 homicidal villains to get around to it. (I can't actually remember what the Big Bad villain count is any more.)

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the problem with the whole 'lying' theme is that it doesn't work for half the characters and what we've known about them. For Stiles, it makes sense because he did just kill someone. In self defense, ok, but I'm sure it's been difficult on him. But now he's going to be blackmailed, which means that this plot goes into stupid territory. You know, all Stiles has to do is tell Scott about Donovan then the blackmail from Theo doesn't work. And that way, Stiles can prove Theo's shadiness and boom, Theo's plan blows up in his face. It wouldn't be Stiles if he accepted the blackmail willingly, so he better have a damn good reason for not telling Scott or Malia or anyone because I'm sure they would be understanding. Despite Scott being gung-ho on not killing, he knows Stiles. He's best friends with Stiles and he would be supportive of Stiles 100%. 

Next, Scott. His lying is the most ludicrous of all because unlike Stiles' reasons, this one doesn't make sense for his character. We even have Stiles telling Scott that he trust everybody in the premiere episode, which fits Scott's character. Now suddenly, he's not talking to Kira AND he tells Theo that he can't trust her? It's just not Scott and it makes no sense for him not to say anything. He hasn't even given a reason for it. All it feels like is contrived drama to not only have Kira and Scott break up, but also to have Theo gain information to use against the pack and to get Scott to trust Theo. It feels awkward and it doesn't feel in character for Scott. The talking about his problems to Theo? Sure. The context of the conversation about Kira and the lying? No. That's just bad writing all around and it demeans Scott as a character. 

Malia's lies about the Desert Wolf? Ok, that feels more in character. The problem I have is that, once again, Theo is apparently the new go-to guy for all this information and it seems to only be used to make Theo more shady because he'll probably take that info to the Dredd Doctors and used against them. There's no other reason for Theo being the secrets guy, and being evil at the same time. I mean, it's good that we know Theo's working for the Dread Doctors so we won't be surprised when all of this blows up in their faces, but still. It's clunky, clunky writing and there's no reason for it.

The hallucinations were actually well done. It actually fit each character and I liked how it's slowly beginning to develop them. I liked Scott's asthma coming back up and his 'flashback' looks like it'll either go nowhere, or it might lead to something. Stiles' 'flashback' with his mom? Heartbreaking and totally puts context into Stiles' other wolfsbane hallucination. Ok, Lydia's is stupid, only because it brings Stupid Hayden into the story, which no thank you. I dislike Hayden, dislike Liam's storyline with Hayden (I loved his little moment this episode with him giving Scott his inhaler) because it separates him from the pack and I don't care about Hayden's deputy sister. I'm glad for a female cop, but I do not like her connection to Hayden. So Liam punched her in the face? Because he was fighting with another guy? Really? That's the reason she's acting like he's the devil? Wow, show, wow. That just makes her look petty. I thought he did something worse, like he dated her and then cheated on her. Or he ran over her cat. Something. But he punched her in the face...and then she punched him right back. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the overreaction. Sure, be mad at him. But the way she's acting toward him is way over the top, especially for that long period of time that it happened. 

I also do not care that Lydia heard her voice and she will probably be some key in stopping the Dread Doctors. I wouldn't mind if she was just taken away; I don't mind her sister sticking around, but take Hayden away ASAP. Otherwise, I actually liked the episode. Just take away Scott's stupid scene with Theo in the locker rooms, and take away Hayden's bitch faces at Liam. Maybe the episode would have flowed better without them. I actually loved Mason getting scenes with Kira and Brett. Mason is the Danny we should have had. 

Edited by Lady Calypso

I don't understand what the Desert Wolf was doing either. Was she trying to kill Malia? or see if she would turn and what she would turn into (Coyote or Wolf)?

I thought she was trying to get her daughter back.  Well, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.  Her daughter was taken away from her, she wants her back, being an assassin on Teen Wolf goes about it in the most inefficient way possible and then loses her after the crash and Malia shifts to her coyote form.  Still doesn't make a lot of sense, but it makes me happy.

Oh, and I'm calling Michelle Clunie, AP Biology teacher, as the Desert Wolf. 

I get the villain not killing everyone because then we'd have no show. But I do like my villain to be tad big smarter and not as obvious as Theo is being making all the heroes look like dumbasses. Although they have kept Stiles and I suppose Malia suspicious of his motives. That just leaves the rest of them, mostly Scott since Lydia and Kira could care less about Theo. 

Malia seems to have picked up some martial arts skills from somewhere. Maybe were-coyotes are born with that skill since her mother is an assassin.  

I thought Talia took and hid Malia because the Desert Wolf was going to kill her or something. Or maybe that was a different show. Also for not being with her family, she somehow ended up with a similar name to her aunt.  

6.  That bugs me too.  Also Theo blackmailing Stiles doesn't work for me at all.  Theo is trying to ingratiate himself into the pack; blackmailing Stiles pretty much guarantees that Stiles will be against him.  "Get me into Scott's pack or I'll tattle about Donovan" doesn't seem likely to work.  Unless they derail Stiles completely, he'd be much more likely to confess to Scott or his dad.

I didn't get this. I was thinking that Theo would have successfully gained some of Stile's trust by saving him from that guy. Which is what he would want, if he truly was trying to join the pack. Also wouldn't Stiles be like "how do you know about that" or could just deny it. And yeah they should have had is eyes be blue.

Going off of the eye thing, were they out of contacts this week? Scott's eyes should have turned when he was attacked and I don't recall Malia's eyes turning either.

I could careless about Liam's girl, and much rather him be interacting with the group then Theo (who I hate). I did however like that it was Liam that helped Scott.

I get the villain not killing everyone because then we'd have no show. But I do like my villain to be tad big smarter and not as obvious as Theo is being making all the heroes look like dumbasses. Although they have kept Stiles and I suppose Malia suspicious of his motives. That just leaves the rest of them, mostly Scott since Lydia and Kira could care less about Theo.

Unfortunately it's episode 6 of season 5 and we have a vagueish idea of what the Dread Doctors want, better test subjects.

As for Theo, does he have any particular motivation ? If he wants to take the True Alpha's power for himself, wouldn't it be made easier by killing some of the pack members. Hell he can blame it on the Dread Doctors who can apparently show up anywhere at any time without detection.

It's one thing not to kill main characters because plot contrivance, it's another for the Villain to just stand around while all the good guys are asleep and DO NOTHING. He could at least pour some wolfsbane or cyanide in their coffees in the morning to slowly poison/weaken them. He doesn't even have to succeed but he should try something slightly more menacing than basically being a supernatural version of a shit stirrer...

It doesn't feel like there's much stakes if the only people who are dying are random red shirts whose names we wont remember in a week. I'm not sure if anyone died this episode. That's how irrelevant deaths are in this show lately. I can't even remember if they happened or not from episode to episode.

Just because the Desert Wolf shot Malia's mom and sister doesn't mean they died from that. I think their bleeding caused Malia to turn into a Coyote and kill them and eat them. So then technically she did kill them. 

Theo's eyes not being blue is the strange one. Maybe that's showing he's not a bitten werewolf, but a made from the Dread Doctors one. 

I'm also confused, what hasn't Malia told Stiles about what she saw? She did tell him she saw the desert wolf causing the accident, Stiles was asking her about it. I'm glad that Malia isn't buying Theo's helpful puppy act and while she may have been slightly impressed with his body she still questioned his motives. Also see Scott, I told you, you should let Malia do your fighting because you are terrible at it. I wonder if Malia being a hybrid Coyote/Wolf makes a difference. 

Liam's just a fluffy puppy. I hate his love interest story though. I don't care about whatsherface. He needs to be more involved with his pack. 

WTF, is wrong with Kira? She has a living relative that is also a Kitsune to ask questions too. Nobody else has that luxury. If you are having doubts ask your freaking mother, not your dumb boyfriend or a kid you just met. 

Ah.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I have to admit, my attention is really waning on this series this season.  It started last year and it hasn't gotten any better.

I thought it was interesting that all three halucinations dealt with the loss of a loved one. Okay, maybe not "interesting" but "plot relevant". Including Malia's from last week, all of them have been about a childhood trauma. I hope they're not going to say that the Dread Doctors have been messing with them for years.

I think the hallucinations are because the book brings up repressed memories. If you have been operated on by the Dread Doctors (really, we're calling them that? :D), you'll remember it. If you haven't, you'll remember other repressed memories from your life.

Why did he need to go to that club to give her money when he could have handed it to her at school...

Wayne, surely you know Jeff Davis better by now. Shirtless hunks in athletic situations are fine and dandy, but you have to mix it up with shirtless hunks in gay/bi club situations. (Why do I feel like the guy stripping and showing his ink—"too much"—is pretty much exactly how a TW casting call goes?)

I'm not sure if anyone died this episode. That's how irrelevant deaths are in this show lately. I can't even remember if they happened or not from episode to episode.

Toothy boy chewing on electrical wires at the hospital died after Theo ripped his throat out.

I agree with LeisureTime that Theo isn't blackmailing Stiles, he's creating a secret bond with him. "I killed in self defense, you killed in self defense, but we both know Scott won't understand, so we'll just keep this between us. You can trust me on this."

Theo was playing a dicey game with Donovan last week—Stiles could easily have been killed. Unless Theo was actually hiding up in the library rafters, ready to save Stiles if need be? And that's how he knows about Donovan? And mutual self-defense killing is just as good a way to bond with Stiles as saving him would have been? Ugh, this show.

(edited)

Wayne, surely you know Jeff Davis better by now. Shirtless hunks in athletic situations are fine and dandy, but you have to mix it up with shirtless hunks in gay/bi club situations. (Why do I feel like the guy stripping and showing his ink—"too much"—is pretty much exactly how a TW casting call goes?)

Toothy boy chewing on electrical wires at the hospital died after Theo ripped his throat out.

While I appreciate random shirtless hunks, they could have had Liam come straight from a steamy locker room shower scene before handing over the cash to whats her face at school. Then at least we could have some semblance of whether Scott is playing lacrosse or not...

Unless the show is trying to tell us Liam swings both ways which would be nice... but I doubt it.

Also if Liam's non girlfriend has super hearing how does she tolerate a club environment? It's bad enough when you have normal hearing let alone enhanced hearing. I'm assuming that she got a Supernatural Kidney ala Misfits.

Ah yes nameless tooth guy snacking on electrical cabling... How does that even work? wouldn't chewing on electrical cabling reduce the amount of electrical output you're getting.

As for the Chimeras if you have 7 or 8 of them why don't you just deploy them all at once instead of one by one in random nonsensical places to ambush people.

You know what would have been good is if any of them made any attempt to capture and interrogate any of these chimaeras for information. Scorpion guy got knocked out last time and no one asked anything of him before he got terminated.

I miss the humor that this show used to have. Where is the bromance between Stiles and Scott? Where is the mentor/mentee relationship between Scott and baby beta Liam? Or the relationship between Scott and Kira ? All the relationships feel fractured as of late.

Edited by wayne67
(edited)

Stiles not telling anyone about Donovan including his girlfriend that also killed people is stupid. If he told Malia, she'd probably be like,"good for you" and try to make out with him for being the winner in the fight. If he straight up murdered Donovan I could understand, but he knocked some stuff off a ladder to stop Donovan, he had no idea that it would kill him. I don't see how that's a bad thing, he was protecting himself. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

(Why do I feel like the guy stripping and showing his ink—"too much"—is pretty much exactly how a TW casting call goes?)

The joke in that scene was actually the bartender was telling the new hire he could make 1k a night in tips, asked him to show what he had, and at the sight of his abs/chest he said "well maybe less".  What I did miss in that scene is what did Liam overhear the bartender saying that made him suspect Hayden(?) was a chimera?

Going off of the eye thing, were they out of contacts this week? Scott's eyes should have turned when he was attacked and I don't recall Malia's eyes turning either.

They use CGI to do the eyes.  And yeah I hope the show addresses why Malia's eyes are blue and why Theo's are not at some point soon and that isn't left unresolved.

As for Theo, does he have any particular motivation ?

We don't really know his motivation right now.  That is why I have a hard time making sense of his actions because we have no clue what he wants.  It probably won't be revealed for a while, and when it is I doubt it will make his actions anymore logical though.  (I still shudder thinking of the "explanation" of the benefactor plot )

What I am worried about with this season is it has already been revealed that 5B will have the Dread Doctors as well, so what is actually going to be resolved in 5A?

Stiles not telling anyone about Donovan including his girlfriend that also killed people is stupid. If he told Malia, she'd probably be like,"good for you" and try to make out with him for being the winner in the fight. If he straight up murdered Donovan I could understand, but he knocked some stuff off a ladder to stop Donovan, he had no idea that it would kill him. I don't see how that's a bad thing, he was protecting himself.

Stiles not telling Malia about his self defense kill is dumb. Did he forget about all the time he's spent around her? She's pragmatic enough that she'd clearly accept killing to protect oneself, especially if it was more or less accidental.

Malia not telling anyone about her mom is more acceptable, since it's not particularly relevant to the current crisis. I'm pretty sure she killed her adopted mom and sister anyways, after panicking and turning in the crashed vehicle.

Scott and Kira are just dumb. No, Scott, don't tell you girlfriend about problems with her fox. And it's not like there's a living, breathing centuries old kitsune who just might know something waiting at home. She's even pretty cool!

Pure Scott. Gets his ass kicked by everything, needs to be saved by the werecoyote. Granted she's pretty badass, but still.

The joke in that scene was actually the bartender was telling the new hire he could make 1k a night in tips, asked him to show what he had, and at the sight of his abs/chest he said "well maybe less". What I did miss in that scene is what did Liam overhear the bartender saying that made him suspect Hayden(?) was a chimera?

What I am worried about with this season is it has already been revealed that 5B will have the Dread Doctors as well, so what is actually going to be resolved in 5A?

I liked how they had Liam find out about Hayden. She tells Liam to "just listen" to what the bartenders are talking about in reference to a question he asked her. Liam using his human hearing can't hear the bartenders so he knows Hayden has super hearing and is using it passively.

As for season 5A, I think that it's going to be the story of how Lydia got into Eichen and why she thinks all her friends will die. So season 5A is the story of how the McCall pack fell apart.

ITA. The whole exchange between Kira and Mason highlighted the problem for me even more .

Kira: Why are you researching Kitsune?

Mason: Because I met one

Kira: Oh.

It boggles my mind that none of the main teens wonder about their super powers. Scott doesn't bug Deaton every day about what a True Alpha can do (it'd be one thing if Deaton said he's only heard unreliable folklore but he's constantly doing that vague mysterious advisor bullshit that drives me mental) while at work. Malia doesn't ask her bio dad about her mother or about her powers (he'd probably lie but it'd probably be amusing). Lydia doesn't ask her mother about their family history or search her grandmother's place for hidden books or anything that might be informative (or asks Peter about how he used her to bring himself back from the dead) or Deaton.

Kira is probably the worst offender, her mother lives with her, is alive, is centuries old and has Oni as body guards/ servants and could tell her all about what a kitsune can do. Instead Kira only asks about her love life being inconvenienced by problematic wolf/fox relationships.

Yeah I don't care about Liam's non girlfriend. We already have enough supernaturals in the main pack we don't need more tertiary supernaturals to join the group already. This isn't Buffy season 6. *sigh*

I wish Scott would ask how packs work from somebody (Satsomi, Deaton, Deucalion, Peter Argent, Gerard Argent or Mexican Hunter Lady) so that he'd learn something about how to run a pack after 2- 5 years of just winging it.

Did Allison's bestiary disappear into thin air along with several of the secondary and main characters ?

On a positive note it was nice seeing Brett and Mason hanging out watching Liam practice and chatting about supernatural nonsense. A nice non date.

[snip]

Yes!  When Kira acted surprised that Mason was curious about Kitsunes I just rolled my eyes.  I mean, why the hell would she not want to do more research?  

And the lying -- I don't like it.  The pack is better when they are truthful with one another.  

• Love 3
(edited)

It felt sort of like Liam was on another show for most of the episode since he didn't really interact with the main pack

I have a lot of gripes about this episode - especially the sudden lying everybody's doing for no reason - but his REALLY bugged me. They have their very special #BeaconHillsBookclub night and Liam isn't there? But Theo is? That just makes no sense to me. Meanwhile, Liam's stuck in this unbelievably boring "what happened in 6th grade" subplot that I simply do not care about. Even his replacement-Danny obligatory-gay best friend had more relevance in this episode.

Now suddenly, he's not talking to Kira AND he tells Theo that he can't trust her? It's just not Scott and it makes no sense for him not to say anything. He hasn't even given a reason for it.

I do not believe for even a second that Scott would not tell Kira about her fox aura but would then tell THEO that he doesn't trust her. Unless Scott really doesn't trust Theo and is playing a long-game - and that is possible because Deaton pointed out that it may be possible under the "new rules" for a new beta in his pack to take his powers. I'll choose to believe that for the moment because the alternative is too annoying. So Scott is the one being manipulative here by making Theo believe that he's buying his schtick.

Oh, and I'm calling Michelle Clunie, AP Biology teacher, as the Desert Wolf.

I admit when she showed up again in this episode I thought, "new teacher suddenly in more than one episode - totally evil".

Edited by AudienceofOne

Those were FIFTY DOLLAR SUNGLASSES PULLED DOWN TO THE TIP OF MY NOSE ASSHOLE. (Thank you for putting this in a separate thread. Makes it a lot easier to respond to the recap!)

I remain completely confused by girl with scary ear. Don't know if she was actually a chimera or Lydia just spazzed out because when a creepy guy says "read the book", he's probably promoting pornography or something else bad for your brain. I can't tell where Lydia's actual flashback ended and her banshee superpowers kicked in.

I certainly hope Vengence girl is a chimera and not a misdiagnosed natural supernatural because whatever kills her and gets rid of her sister sooner makes me happy. Not as happy as sexy, sexy fight instructor happy but happy.

Speaking of trying to make Kira/Fetch happen (it's not going to happen), if your creepy new wannabe pack member friend started hanging out watching and recording your sleeping girlfriend, wouldn't your response be less "Cool bro, I don't trust her now" and more "DIE CREEP DIE?". That is of course ignoring gym equipment and conveniently located bottles of water spray.

Yes: Stiles, Mama McC, and Papa S all kicked ass and took names. Loved their bits.

As for Peter? Us too. You are not alone.

I really hope the Pack is playing the long game with Theo, because the lying for the sake of PLOT! is awful. How long did it take before Scott was confiding in Issac? I just feel like people are acting out of character all over this episode.

Stiles I can understand not saying a word. He killed someone, and from previous seasons we know the guilt hits him really hard. I'm surprised he hasn't told Malia yet, but maybe this is them growing apart.

Lydia is being proactive. Her Grandma was taking about the first time the Dredds were in town right (They're coming to get us?) Unless she was talking about the Serial Killer orderly, but he was just one versus the "they're" she used.

Did Teen Wolf have to cut back on actors this season for the sake of the new teens? I feel in the past we would have seen convos with Kira's mother about her new powers. If we don't see a convo between Stiles and Sheriff about at least the flashback, I'm going to call bull. Stiles just talked about how secrets can cause major issues. At least we still see Melissa.

I can not not watch this show, but man, sometimes it's so frustrating to watch. I guess I want more logic from a show which has always been loose and fast with their own world building logic.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can not not watch this show, but man, sometimes it's so frustrating to watch. I guess I want more logic from a show which has always been loose and fast with their own world building logic.

I know what that is like. I think I'm most frustrated because this plot line with the Dread Doctors blurring the lines of supernatural and natural would have more of an impact if they actually did some clear supernatural worldbuilding like how exactly is a beta accepted by an Alpha into a pack and how many supernatural species are there supposed to be and how much does it cost to buy so much Mountain Ash ASH. Or why does the werecoyote who spent 7 years in another body fight better with that human body than the True Alpha. Or when is Scott going to learn how to fight ? or HOW DID PETER HALE BRING HIMSELF BACK FROM THE DEAD? You know basic worldbuilding.

Instead we get these bad guys blurring the flimsy lines of supernatural something with their science or something and I'm like yeah so what ?

I'm only in this show for the relationships between some of the characters but it's getting harder to care because some of those relationships get way too much focus or not enough and sometimes it makes no sense the random jumps these characters make.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

I'm only this for the relationships between some of the characters but it's getting harder to care because some of those relationships get way too much focus or not enough and sometimes it makes no sense the random jumps these characters make.

I'm here the the relationships now too. Scott and Stiles. The boys with their parents (and now their relationship to Argent). To see if Stiles and Lydia ever gets together. And maybe to see if Issac ever comes back. I'm a sucker for the long game romance of Stiles and Lydia, and Issac was an excellent Beta, he was adorable as the third son to Melissa (third to Stiles' second place).

This is why I'm also so frustrated! All this Plot! lying is messing with the relationships, and it doesn't even make sense...unless it's for the long game against Theo but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if the pattern between the chimeras isn't the loss of a parent. The first girl didn't seem to have a mother; Donovan either and didn't he lose his dad. Hayden, if she is a chimera, didn't seem to have parents due to the fact her sister pays for the medication. And I'm leaning towards Theo being a chimera too because he is too good a werewolf to have been basically an omega before his coming to Beacon hills, he can do the full shift and he is in league with the doctors. If he is a chimera, it's another one without parents.

I'm wondering if the pattern between the chimeras isn't the loss of a parent. The first girl didn't seem to have a mother; Donovan either and didn't he lose his dad. Hayden, if she is a chimera, didn't seem to have parents due to the fact her sister pays for the medication. And I'm leaning towards Theo being a chimera too because he is too good a werewolf to have been basically an omega before his coming to Beacon hills, he can do the full shift and he is in league with the doctors. If he is a chimera, it's another one without parents.

Considering the fatality rate of adults in this town, there would be lots of candidates for conversion based on that theory though didn't Donovan's dad get paralysed from the waist down ? I don't remember him saying he was dead.

I'm still not clear on why being an Omega is a bad thing for werewolves... Wasn't Malia an Omega for 7 years ?

I really wish they'd clear up whether a large pack grants metaphysical benefits or just synergistic benefits because it weighs on my mind. Then again I wrote a fan fic a couple of days ago from Nemeton's POV so my sanity may be in question :P lol

Stiles I can understand not saying a word. He killed someone, and from previous seasons we know the guilt hits him really hard. I'm surprised he hasn't told Malia yet, but maybe this is them growing apart.

I can see why he wouldn't tell Malia, mainly because she'd be too accepting of it.  She's still part feral-girl who doesn't completely understand how human emotions work. I don't thnk she would understand why he feels guilty.  Her reaction would likely be "it was him or you.  I'm glad you chose you."  If only Stiles had someone to talk to about it, someone who has had to use lethal force in similiar life-or-death situations, like, oh I dunno, a law enforcement officer or an ex-soldier who is now a law enforcement officer...

Speaking of, I'd love it if Stiles told Parrish.  "Yeah, don't worry, no one will find out because I'm pretty sure I incinerated the body at the Nemeton while in a fugue state."

• Love 2

I'm thinking the Chimera's had organ transplants. That was the point of Hayden's story right? Make sure she had enough money for her rejection pills?

I'm thinking the Chimera's had organ transplants. That was the point of Hayden's story right? Make sure she had enough money for her rejection pills?

I'm betting it will be people who had major illnesses, probably with the explanation that the Doctors originally operated on them and now are coming back to finish the experiment now that it's matured. I'm betting the edging around what was up with Theo back when Scott and Stiles knew him will be a major illness.

The joke in that scene was actually the bartender was telling the new hire he could make 1k a night in tips, asked him to show what he had, and at the sight of his abs/chest he said "well maybe less".

As much as the hashtags often induce eye-rolling, I was disappointed they didn't take that opportunity for a #MaybeLess tag.

• Love 1

I'm here the the relationships now too. Scott and Stiles. The boys with their parents (and now their relationship to Argent). To see if Stiles and Lydia ever gets together. And maybe to see if Issac ever comes back. I'm a sucker for the long game romance of Stiles and Lydia, and Issac was an excellent Beta, he was adorable as the third son to Melissa (third to Stiles' second place).

The reason I started watching Teen Wolf was the potential Lydia/Stiles pairing.  Since that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, I am fully on board with Parrish and her!  

The reason I started watching Teen Wolf was the potential Lydia/Stiles pairing.  Since that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, I am fully on board with Parrish and her!  

(Why do I feel like the guy stripping and showing his ink—"too much"—is pretty much exactly how a TW casting call goes?)

Frankly, I suspect those have less in the way of pants. I've heard Colton Haynes' reason for suddenly bolting the show described as "Executive Producer Grabby Hands" on another board, and a cryptic statement he made recently hints about that possibly being the case.

The reason I started watching Teen Wolf was the potential Lydia/Stiles pairing.  Since that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, I am fully on board with Parrish and her!

I don't think that's Lydia. I think that's Stumpy the Nemeton.

The bit I liked best was when Mahlia asked Stiles about his shoulder, and when he tried to shuck it off, she told him "I can smell blood" (she did not add "dumb-ass" but it was implied.  He then tried to jive her off some more, and she gave him a look like "I can hear when you're lying, too [dumb-ass]!" 

He apparently still has his inhaler on campus.  

Why does a werewolf have asthma?????  That makes zero sense.

Why did he need to go to that club to give her money when he could have handed it to her at school...

As mentioned -- to up the "sexy" count.  We had a woman in a bra -- gotta have 10 shirtless dudes for balance.