Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I'm still not working with this Senior Para ever again. Did you know? She used to be an actress! She dated both Depp and Robert Downey, Jr. Yeah, riiiiiiiiight. And used to be a stunt double for some actress named Kim Richards. She's done EVERYTHING! And the fact that she was "angry" on my behalf for the insulting task I had to do yesterday, doesn't make up for her treatment of me during the whole trial and right before.

It's a slow day today. Senior isn't feeling well, so is taking a day. But I have local counsel's paras to help. And co-counsel. And it's the co-counsel's paralegals who have been a source of support and help to me.

But I'm not counting the day, I'm counting the HOURS until my ass is on a plane back home.

Kim Richards used to be on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.  She's the half sister of Kyle Richards, who's still on, and Kathy Hilton.  Kim unfortunately had alcohol and mental health issues and left the show.  All three sisters used to act, but Kim was the most famous and successful.  They were child actresses.  Of course, Kathy married a Hilton and had daughter Paris! 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5910786/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_17_act

This was a movie based on their lives.

Are you out in LA for this trial?

Edited by EtheltoTillie

She played Prudence on Nanny and the Professor and was in a few Disney movies, without looking her up the only two I recall are the two Witch Mountain ones.  I'd think both of those would have probably needed a stunt double but that would mean this horrible person was doubling for a child so maybe there were other more action packed movies later.

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Are you out in LA for this trial?

Nope. Indianapolis.

58 minutes ago, Bethany said:

She played Prudence on Nanny and the Professor and was in a few Disney movies, without looking her up the only two I recall are the two Witch Mountain ones.  I'd think both of those would have probably needed a stunt double but that would mean this horrible person was doubling for a child so maybe there were other more action packed movies later.

Apparently it was for a really bad, horrible movie with James Spader, before James Spader was...James Spader.

I don't watch reality shows, so obvious why I wasn't familiar with her name.

YES! Will be booking my flight home on Monday so I can leave this place and this CASE AANND the horrid team from the new Chicago office behind, never to work with them or Senior Para again.

Is it Saturday, June 10th yet?

First thing I'm going to do is get a HOT STONE MASSAGE for 90 MINUTES. Followed by a facial.

Then Sleep. And I'm never, ever, ever going to complain or bitch about the team/practice group of lawyers from my home office ever, ever, ever again.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I know some people have looked at me kind of strangely for telling them I applied for jobs at lower pay when I was really feeling horrible at work 

Honestly I am starting to think more of taking a pay cut if I were to get an offer that would get me out of a call center. Unfortunately it can’t be a really big one since I live alone and have to pay everything by myself, but if a job paid $2-$3 an hour less than what I was currently making I’d at least be open to applying.

If it were $16 an hour or something though? No. I can’t afford to go that far. That would be an almost $10 an hour pay cut and I wouldn’t take it unless I won the lottery and just wanted to work to stay busy.

My career counselor offered to look at my resume for me and help me see where it can be written better since I’m still not getting interviews. 😕She doesn’t actually do the writing portion (she gives suggestions and will leave the writing to me, which I’m fine with) but I am still open to ideas and I would rather trust her than a random person on Reddit (there’s a resumes sub) who may or may not be lying about their hiring experience. I’ve never been that great at marketing myself and need all the help I get. 

Job hunting pet peeve: When people tell me to try temp agencies. I can’t afford to leave a full time job with benefits to go for a temp job, and in my area, a lot of the agency jobs are for warehouse workers or low-paying office jobs, unfortunately. 

• Hugs 1

Kim Richards and Jodie Foster were practically interchangeable as child actors and frequently up for the same roles. I think there was a third girl as well but I'm blanking on a name.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 1:52 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Probation at my company is four months long and they don’t allow any vacation time in that period, not even one day. I’m kind of upset about it, because I’ve been a good employee and my boss has complimented me but the policy is just so rigid and outdated (IMO).

The State of Texas is pretty generous with its leave policy, but you can't take any vacation days until you've been employed for six months.

On 5/31/2023 at 7:04 AM, Quof said:

I once worked in an office where the support staff started calling dibs in January for vacation days over the Christmas holidays. Once the allowable number of people had claimed them, it was too bad for the rest. 

At the state job I got after college, I started work in July.  Christmas rolls around and I haven't been there long enough to take off, so I had to be part of the "skeleton crew" for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.  State employees get Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, AND the day after Christmas off, as well as New Year's Day, so depending on how the days fall, you can get 11 days off by taking only 3 annual leave days, or 16 days by taking 6 annual leave days.  What a deal, and pretty much everybody did it.  Or, everybody who could

It worked out fine, though, because hardly anybody's actually working right around Christmas, so the atmosphere in the office was really chill, and those of us who had to work were looked on with pity.  Even though we got three days around Christmas, which is more than a lot of people get.

Then my next job with at a law firm and I found out just how good state employees had it--they get Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving off, but much to my surprise, the law firm made people work the day after Thanksgiving.  Savages!

• Fire 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Apparently it was for a really bad, horrible movie with James Spader, before James Spader was...James Spader.

I only know about this movie because an online friend loves awful in a good way 80's movies. She's posted about Tuff Turf more than once.  I looked at the list of stunt people on IMDB and watched the end credits in this YT video which lists the same names. The only woman on the list died in 2007.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

the law firm made people work the day after Thanksgiving.  Savages!

Yeah, those damned Courts that impose filing deadlines so that documents have to be there by the end of the day on Friday, regardless of what happened on Thursday. Rest assured the lawyers weren't doing it to spite you. 

7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Then my next job with at a law firm and I found out just how good state employees had it--they get Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving off, but much to my surprise, the law firm made people work the day after Thanksgiving.  Savages!

This is why I don’t get why the US celebrates Thanksgiving on a Thursday. We get a long weekend in October.  Monday is the day off,  but many families, including mine, would have the family dinner on Sunday.  Monday is what I call “recovery day.”

• Like 2

I finally got a phone interview! It’s this coming Wednesday; I was able to scheduled it late enough in the day that I can work about half of my shift. The job is not customer service (not going from the frying pan to the fire) and is more in line with what I want out of my career plus kind of similar to what I was doing before I was laid off. 

I am a little nervous though because in past jobs I had a lot of flexibility to take time off when interviews came up and now I don’t have as much of that. I did make sure the day wasn‘t blacked out before I booked the interview but if I continue to get interviews I may have to work a little harder to juggle the scheduling with my job so I don’t get disciplined in the meantime. (I mean job hunting could take another year for all I know.) 

However, I am trying to put my anxiety aside. Getting out of the call center and taking a better job is important to me and I need to do whatever it takes to get there. Today was a bad day and I ended up staying 25 minutes late due to a long call that I finally unfortunately had to wrap up. I hope I was reasonable but I also can’t stay on the phone all night helping someone. I will just keep reminding myself why I’m trying to leave to begin with (more career growth and flexibility) and do my best to perform up to par at my current job on the meantime. And remind myself that on Wednesday I will do the interview without guilt. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I resigned today. My boss was floored and although she accepted it during our meeting, she called me about two hours later asking if I'd reconsider. Apparently when she told her boss I'd resigned, her boss flipped out and directed her to offer any accommodation necessary to keep me on board. I was very polite about it but I turned them down. It took four people to cover for me when I was out unexpectedly recently and no amount of money in the world is worth the stress of trying to do the job of an entire department by myself. I think they are realizing how much I did alone and starting to panic about how to handle it after I leave. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 5
  • Applause 9
55 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Apparently when she told her boss I'd resigned, her boss flipped out and directed her to offer any accommodation necessary to keep me on board.

That has to feel good.

55 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It took four people to cover for me when I was out unexpectedly recently and no amount of money in the world is worth the stress of trying to do the job of an entire department by myself.

I agree completely.  If they offered to hire three additional people to make your workload reasonable (and a raise), that could be cause for reconsideration, but there is no raise or promotion alone that can make your situation tenable.  Bottom line, though, they should have known all along what they were asking of you was ridiculous, so your resignation is not shocking; with that total lack of awareness, it best to get out. 

Good for you!  I hope you enjoy the decompression period, however long you decide you want to wait before looking for your next position.  It's wonderful to have the financial cushion to do so (I've gone that route myself -- in fact, after a similar situation, where they laid off half my department but didn't reduce by one iota the work required of it, and of those of us remaining, the bulk of it fell on me -- and it was invaluable to my mental health, and to putting me in prime shape to take on something new when the time came).

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On a funny note... this is not a vent but a typo that went out in an email where luckily all involved had a good sense of humor about it and have been cracking jokes at my (well deserved) expense.

I am working at compiling all of our year end data analytics. It all has to be done by June 15 for a July 1 lock down/publication date.

I had a department chair email me wanting to know if I had received all his department data and if everything was ok and if I needed anything else from him.  He copied his co department chair, his associate Dean, his Dean, The Provost, and my boss.

I emailed him back (replied all) and this is the email: "Everything on your end is looking good.  I notice that one of Dr. [..] grades from her [..] class section 03 is still missing.  In the final report that will go down as an unreported grade in the grade distribution report. If you like you can give her a nude and let her know she has until June 14th to get that in so that it will make the cut."

I sent it along.  But after I hit send I decided I wanted to also send it to another of my data colleagues so she'd know.  I went to my sent folder to forward it and re-read it and read the 'you can give her a nude' line in horror. 

So in pure sitcom fashion, I sent everyone a new email highlighting that and said "ARghhhh....I meant you can send her a Nudge.   A Nudge.  I am sure you are aware I would never advocate the other."

Yeah, Like I said luckily everyone's inner comedian came out.  My boss said to me in a later Teams message, 'I about died.  You are usually so careful and deliberate in your communications, you know I will dine on this for awhile, right?'

Sigh.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

WAHOO!!!! Closing today instead of Thursday! So that means just cleaning up shit and sending stuff we didn't use back to my home office. If I can get all this done by Thursday, maybe I can change my flight from Saturday to Friday.

I SOOOO want out of this fucking place and this group of attorneys.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 4

I woke up this morning with a headache and now have one coming on again. It’s been a long two days of back-to-back (to back) calls with barely any time to breathe. Today was a little lighter than yesterday but not by much. I talked with another rep yesterday who said her day was pretty much the same and we both talked about practically running from our desks when our shifts were over. 

I am nervous for my interview tomorrow especially because I have to put in for an early dismissal and I’m so paranoid something is going to go wrong. If my current job is making my head hurt, though, I obviously don’t want to feel like this all the time. Ugh. I wish I weren’t trapped in such an unhealthy environment. I almost feel lame though because I hate this type of work and it seems like other reps are fine/happy with it and have been around for years. I know I can’t compare, as I’m sure there were reps before me who did not last long either. I try to feel better by reminding myself that most people do not make careers in call centers and there are employers who don’t hold a short term stay in one against you.  

• Hugs 3
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I woke up this morning with a headache and now have one coming on again.

Most, if not all of PA is under an unhealthy air quality warning. Your headache could be from the smoke we are experiencing. Not saying your job doesn’t give you a headache, just putting it out there.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

My son said the kids played outside today, but I got clarification from the parent group that it was only in the morning.  Air quality was unsafe in the afternoon, so they didn’t.  I can see the haze from my condo - I don’t think I’ve seen anything this bad…ever.  It’s not going to clear up until at least Thursday. 

• Sad 3

Thinking of everyone who is affected by the wildfire and smoke pollution. We have them almost every year on the West Coast (2020 was particularly bad), and it's one of the worst environmental hazards, IMO.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 3

Turns out PRkid DID NOT have outdoor afternoon recess after I asked the parent group chat.  Kids his age don't know how to elaborate yet (they went outside in the morning, before things got bad).  They aren't going outside today.  I barely went myself.  I normally walk to the gym for a training session but had to cancel because I didn't want to get sick (I had some sort of respiratory thing back in the winter that wasn't COVID or pneumonia.  The doctor at the walk-in who was likely too tired of seeing this, just told me that it's something that will "eventually pass" and gave me an inhaler).  Worked out at home, but even then, I wasn't able to do my usual.  Ended up taking an online ballet class.  

Phone interview seemed to go well. I’ll know next week if I made it to the second round, which will be with my potential supervisor. If I get to and make it past that, the last meeting would be with the CEO. (It’s a small company, less than 10 employees.) I think based off the interview today I would like the job and have a good chance of getting to the second round, so fingers crossed. 

I was able to get out of work on time for the interview which helped a lot of my anxiety. And now I am just kind of enjoying a couple hours to breathe since the week has been so chaotic. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1

Today has been a terrible day. Back-to-back phones all day. I don’t want to be super specific about my job, but let’s just say customers have deadlines to meet that are communicated clearly, set in stone, etc. And without fail there are people who always wait until the last minute and then whine when they can’t get through on the phone or website or they call back acting like it’s our fault they waited forever to get it together and demand extensions (not possible) and/or freebie services for future use. 

I just broke down before my break because I have no more empathy left for these people and they often refuse to get off the phone or demand to continue holding. (Hard when everyone on the planet is calling.) I hate when they call and don’t have the most basic information available or don’t know where their account number is. And I hate that my old job was taken away for no good reason and I ended up stuck in a crappy job that I’m not good at. I just want to be happy again and get back to knowing what it’s like to be able to breathe at work when I need a rest and treated with respect and have control of my own time everything else. Right now no matter how hectic things are everyone just expects me to smile and deal with it. I don’t get how people can do this job for years. I’m already worn out. 

• Hugs 5

So a vent I did two weeks about two things that were rally made me anxious never actually happened.

On the other hand yesterday and item which I did not think was important at all I did not follow up on and I got scolded a little.  Not written up or anything like that but it still stung a little.  

But that's what I can't stand about work.  In my mind this thing was like so low on the importance meter but my manager didn't think so 

• Hugs 2

I got a second interview for the job I had a screening for last week. If I get through this round, there would be one more interview to go. The next round is with the hiring manager. 

Still haven’t heard much else from other apps. But this job seems promising. The work environment is what I thrive in and it’s related to my current goals…and it’s not customer service! So I’m happy to still be in the running. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

my job a lot of times dont feel like the best fit for me.  We (employees) get in each other's personal space quite a bit and it lacks good protocols.  

I hate dealing/interfacing with people and I enjoy having protocols to everything vs a shit show like atmosphere.

But I guess I know what the job is and what not and can get along with most people 

• Hugs 1

I think the second round interview went well. The hiring manager still has a couple more people to talk to, and I should know next week if I’ll move to the final round. 

My response rate on applications is now about 8%, so it has ticked up a little in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, outside of the job I’m interviewing for, none of the others have been great leads. One employer used “Dear Applicant” in their email greeting (and it was not just an automated “thanks for applying!” email where I’d just ignore it) so it kind of felt like they were sending everyone the same blanket email about the job description and scheduling an interview. It was with a legitimate company and a real person was writing the email, but it felt so off-putting and cold. Just take the two seconds and address me by my first name.

Fortunately it was only a part-time job, although the extra money would have been nice if the employer had put a better foot forward. 

The other job I heard back from was better but I could not have taken the huge pay cut based on the salary. It would have been close to a $10,000 salary cut. Fine if I were living at home or still unemployed but in this situation it just doesn’t work. When I said I would take a pay cut to leave the call center I didn’t mean that big of one. Maybe like $2-$3 an hour less than my hourly rate, which is a different story. And of course, every app that required a personality test was an immediate no. 

So, if I don’t get an offer from the job I’m interviewing for, I’ll just have to hope there’s something else better out there. There’s so many more dud jobs than there was 1-2 years ago. 

• Hugs 1

Has anyone ever encountered a company with an interview process that includes a candidate being asked to create a presentation on an assigned topic, present it to a panel and the answer questions in a Q&A session.

My company is inconsistent in how hiring is done.  Its kind of a manager by manager or site by site thing. I err on the side of making it as painless for the candidate as possible.  I do not do personality tests, presentations, round after round of interviews, etc.

So  I'm trying to figure out how weird this presentation thing is.  Is this a thing?  I'm leaning towards it being some consequence of our reporting structure changing and having Europeans applying what is "normal" for them in an interview process to the US. Or maybe its that particular HR person. 

It seems like it would drive any good candidate running for the hills.  I'm curious how many people they've got lined up for this are going to nope out before the "interview".

I can't speak to companies but this is common in academia. If you're on a shortlist, you give a presentation about your research and also a teaching presentation.

I've never heard of something like that outside of academia either in North America or Germany.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Has anyone ever encountered a company with an interview process that includes a candidate being asked to create a presentation on an assigned topic, present it to a panel and the answer questions in a Q&A session.

I have heard of this outside of academia, but I've never heard anything positive from candidates who have gone through it. I personally know of one former coworker who went through something similar during an interview. She's in marketing and they asked her to put together a hypothetical campaign on a specific product and present it during one round. She didn't get hired, but later saw her work being used in a campaign this company was doing - they essentially stole her ideas and used them in the real world. She now refuses to do any interviews that require anything like that and I do, too, based on her experience. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2

After taking three days off to decompress, I was back at work today. Remotely, as it makes no sense to go in for just one day.

Anyhoo, it felt soooo good to be working on my cases, with my teams! Of course it started with the team from hell, who couldn’t bother to read their emails from when the trial ended, when I emailed EVERYONE and let them know where all the video excerpts used at trial were saved. So I had to waste time confirming they hadn’t been moved and emailed the associate who asked, that I had already taken care of it.

Then I responded to Power Hungry Witch’s text that I was only on this team to help out at trial only and that going forward she will have to handle any and all requests since this is her case. I took my email off the distribution list for this group.

I have my own cases that need my focus. Never doing another thing for this case or her. She really put a dent in my self confidence.

And she, and the partner who thinks she’s perfect, were trash talking and shitting on MY office, two of my favorite partners, and my and Witch’s supervisors our last night. I’m like, I’m sitting right here. But I stayed quiet. Witch really is protected and yapped as if she’s a managing partner. All I know is to refuse to work with her again-will just say my own caseload is too heavy and to get someone else.

AHEM.

So I spent the rest of the day working on all my other cases, and not a single nerve was stressed.

And we got an email today that the firm is also giving us all Monday July 3 off. So we all have an extended long weekend! My guy pal and I will spend it together.

• Like 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

My friend had to do this when applying for an IT position. Their end game was to gauge his documentation, presentation, and training skills. I can't remember what it was for, but I did ask (because of the situation emma675 shared), and it was for a common scenario and he wasn't creating any groundbreaking info for them to steal.

11 hours ago, emma675 said:

I have heard of this outside of academia, but I've never heard anything positive from candidates who have gone through it. I personally know of one former coworker who went through something similar during an interview. She's in marketing and they asked her to put together a hypothetical campaign on a specific product and present it during one round. She didn't get hired, but later saw her work being used in a campaign this company was doing - they essentially stole her ideas and used them in the real world. She now refuses to do any interviews that require anything like that and I do, too, based on her experience. 

That is a huge issue! When I was utilizing some of the Reddit recruiting subreddits people would talk about that happening. Same with code "homework".

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2

Based on some of the people that have been brought in from the outside at my company the last 2-3 years, I'm all for whatever interview techniques or tests it'll take to get the right ones.

I was listening to some stand up comedy while walking the dog the other day, and Daniel Tosh's old bit about the unemployment rate came on. It's obviously exaggerated statements to make you laugh, but he's not entirely wrong here:

The unemployment rate in our country’s around 6.5%. I’m told that’s pretty good. I could care less. ... The number that blows me away is that over 90% of Americans have jobs. Who the f*** is hiring you morons? Because I wouldn’t. The sense of entitlement? Everyone thinks they deserve more than they have. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Well, my manager emailed me this morning, "checking in" to see how I'm doing and wants to "connect" on Tuesday to talk about how the trial went.

The trial? A HOT, UNORGANIZED MESS.

But the rest? After getting a sense of how protected the Power Witch is (I'm sorry for using bad and derogatory names, but it will take awhile for me to gain back my self confidence and concerns over how this will come back to bite me in the ass if I'm not careful how I phrase things to my manager(s)), All I will tell her about working with her, was that I had no guidance and no training and was left to figure things out on my own.

Of course I've documented everything that happened and how she treated me, and how others (the other associates, co-counsel's paras, and even the support staff in our Indiana office) saw how she treated me. I'm just glad that she doesn't get to review me, as she also gets reviewed. I'll just provide the names of the attorneys who emailed me and told me what a good job I did, under such pressure, and it being my first trial. I did save the emails from the client though. And if one of the co-counsel's paras hadn't told the lead partner, how hard I worked, and worked my ass off, considering I didn't know anything, and how the Senior Para bullied me, he, along with the other partners, would have just praised her for "doing all the work" even though they could see and saw I was the one doing all the heavy lifting. And she also told him, while I was green, I caught on quick--only had to tell me/show me how to do something once, and I caught it. And it's true. You don't need to write down step by step instructions; tell me once how to do something, maybe twice, and I catch on and can do it. It was after that conversation that the lead partner came up to me and thanked me for all my hard work. Still not using him as one for next year's evaluation though.

And on a note, that makes me laugh, and might give y'all a giggle, I told one of our clients, who is originally from Ireland and who still has his wonderful Irish brogue, that if the judge had allowed him to testify, we would have won.

Whaaat???

But on a more serious note, I'm going to be as objective as I can, without playing the blame game because I know how my manager rolls.

Wish me luck!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Yes, before I retired from my career as a technical recruiter, we had senior scientists asked to do a presentation about a previous project in the final rounds of the interviewing process - about a half an hour long and then Q&A for 15 minutes or so. It was fairly common for Ph.D. level jobs in a biotech development environment. The hiring company would provide a laptop etc. so that the candidate could bring a flash drive with the salient illustrations.

It's been nothing less than insanity at my place of employment!!

All last week leading up to the Stanley Cup finals was nuts enough;  with every win, there were "cold opens" to edit each morning for almost each hour!  A hat trick - copyright free music - fans in their VGK gear shouting "Go Knights Go!!"  - more copyright free music - more plays on the ice - more copyright free music, ad nauseum.

There were watch parties to cover, people waving VGK flags like war symbols!

Towels given out for the crowds!

A co-worker who was moonlighting as an "honor guard " (they sweep up hats and stuff on the ice between quarters).  Had to do interviews with her!

Got to meet the Keeper of the Cup and the cup itself was in our studio!  

Then, we WON! 

It was nonstop!  More cold opens (with copyright free music) and now chants of "We Are The Champions".  Parade is planned!!

Friday:  My edit partner was off but one of the photogs was set to fill in.  Fridays are very busy without the Stanley Cup news, but I knew we could handle it.  Until I learn there was breaking news (hostage situation and barricade) and other things which had the producers send him out to cover - I was essentially editing the show alone!  To say I was frazzled by the end of the shift would be an understatement!  I hope management doesn't find out - or they'll think all they need is one editor to do all the editing for the mornings!

Then I get a text that afternoon from my supervisor asking if I'd be willing to do some OT.  I've posted previously that OT is uncommon in recent years so I was happy to take it.  I went in Saturday at 5pm to help edit the parade stuff.

The bosses ordered two huge square pizzas for everyone - Bitcheroo was there while I was getting a slice - I think she was hoping I'd lose it and throw it at her but pizza should never be defiled like that!  At least I didn't have to deal with her beyond that.

Three editors on that shift (to cover all ends of what would be a hectic celebratory day) and I was ready!!  What happened at the parade?  Well, 50 Cent (yup - that guy) has a new champagne label and of course VGK is advertising a partnership of some sort so the guys celebrated early with it!  The team was dripping wet and taking off their shirts and drunk as skunks while fans (including kids) were watching in amazement.  When they entered, one slid down the steps on the stage, and everyone acted like a bunch of drunken frat rats!  OK I get it - not every day one wins the Stanley Cup and it was their night to celebrate but this was embarrassing!  Lots of cussing during their "victory speeches" as well (did I mention kids were present?).   Our station had to go out on a 20 second delay  in case something went out that was improper for air.  

We finally got the all clear to leave at 11PM and by the time I got home, I passed out.  

Came in this morning and told edit partner everything he missed.  He nearly died laughing - especially when I showed him the video of the team being drunk and trying to give their speeches.  He almost wished he could have been there!

Today?  Peaceful and calm by comparison!  Just leftover stories like warmed over pizza (some of which was still where they were left Saturday night!).  Most included replicas of the cup in one form or another (one carved of ice at the Minus 5 Ice Bar, a gourmet chocolate version so exact it had the names on it).  

I'm so ready for a break!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

the cup itself was in our studio!  

Forgive this 100% off topic post, but I was in NYC in 1994 when they won the Stanley Cup and I went to the parade downtown.  On the way there on the subway there was a kid maybe 10 years old, by himself, with a little replica of the cup he'd made out of foil.  It was the cutest thing ever.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Forgive this 100% off topic post, but I was in NYC in 1994 when they won the Stanley Cup and I went to the parade downtown.  On the way there on the subway there was a kid maybe 10 years old, by himself, with a little replica of the cup he'd made out of foil.  It was the cutest thing ever.

And that kid is now in his late 30s (maybe even 40).....time flies.  

4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Well, 50 Cent (yup - that guy) has a new champagne label and of course VGK is advertising a partnership of some sort so the guys celebrated early with it!  The team was dripping wet and taking off their shirts and drunk as skunks while fans (including kids) were watching in amazement.  When they entered, one slid down the steps on the stage, and everyone acted like a bunch of drunken frat rats!  OK I get it - not every day one wins the Stanley Cup and it was their night to celebrate but this was embarrassing!  Lots of cussing during their "victory speeches" as well (did I mention kids were present?).   Our station had to go out on a 20 second delay  in case something went out that was improper for air. 

I saw some of this on our local stations in Dallas! Some of those guys were so drunk I'm amazed they were upright. Our local sportscasters were cracking up ove how much had to be beeped out and how little sense one blonde, shirtless guy made. 

• Like 1

On my way out of the office, I stopped to chat with one of the reporters who was at the parade doing live coverage that night.  It seems one trashy woman tried to pick a fight with her!  

To put this in perspective, this reporter is about 5'2, petite, thin and looks like she'd blow over in a stiff wind (and she may very well admit it!).  She's doing her live coverage from her particular vantage point (we had several reporters covering different areas of the parade route - treating it like NYE) and chatting it up with fans, etc. .  This one woman was determined to be in the next live shot and even told the reporter she was was (even leaning in on her before the next live shot!) ,  She and the photog politely told her it wasn't a good idea and she needed to stay out of frame if possible.  This woman then openly declared she was going to beat her up!  The photog spotted some Metro officers (who were out in force treating it like NYE) and motioned for them to come by.  Eventually the woman and her boyfriend (who just stood aside during all this) were escorted out.  Another reporter who was on a balcony during his coverage said he spotted two guys having it out fist to fist as well.  Metro also gave them the one armed escort from the event.  Don't know if they were arrested or not, but at least there didn't seem to be any major issues that night.

• Like 1

I've always been a person that's sensitive to asking someone something when they look either stressed or pissed off.  Like I learned at an early age certain times aren't good for certain things or questions.

I have one co worker who whenever she gets a thought in her head she just yells it out/has to call me/ has absolutely no sensitivity to sometimes its just a bad time to ask somebody something.  The thing is I like her deep down and she is not a bad person which I guess is why I never really say much back to her.

Perhaps this isnt the best question to ask on a thread called vent your spleen about work but How Many People Actually Like Their Jobs?

My first job I liked as an office manager but the company was more like a seasonable type of business.  It wasn't sustainable too make a living off that salary.  Plus no health benefits with that job as well.  

1 minute ago, BlueSkies said:

Perhaps this isnt the best question to ask on a thread called vent your spleen about work but How Many People Actually Like Their Jobs?

My first job I liked as an office manager but the company was more like a seasonable type of business.  It wasn't sustainable too make a living off that salary.  Plus no health benefits with that job as well.  

I had a job in 1999 that I loved, but they closed the office I was working in and moved everything to NC.

I loved working for Dollar General until one too many quit on me among other things and I decided to quit.

• Sad 1
52 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I've been really lucky with my jobs - other than the one that fired me. I have somehow managed to get the 3 full-time (and one full-ish-time) jobs I've had from people I know. Which is good, since the ones I applied for from the classifieds on my own lead to nothing. 

I'm aiming to retire next year.  I'll miss the people a lot.  I won't miss the commute.

And may I just add that no one really "retires" anymore.  There are no pensions in the private sector, so now one just "quits" when one is ready and starts drawing on social security and any retirement savings.  And yet, we still call it "retiring". 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I really liked my last position, I just hated living in Georgia.

Loving my new position, and living in NV. 

• Like 4

I liked my last job and had plans to stay there for at least 2-3 years had they not laid me off. My current job has some good benefits I haven’t gotten in other places, but I hate that it’s customer service because it’s just not suited to me. I am trying to find a job with less phone work/more behind the scenes where I have more control over my day and I can make better use of my skills and abilities. 

Anyway, I sent my resume to the career counselor I’ve been working with. I’m hoping she can give me some suggestions that will lead to more callbacks and better jobs coming my way. (I’d rather have someone I trust review it than a random person on the Internet.) I still haven’t heard anything back from the job I interviewed for last week, unfortunately, so I’m going to follow up with the hiring manager early next week if there’s still no word. 

My response rate has gone up slightly to about 8% but unfortunately most of the leads have been no good. :( 

• Hugs 2