Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Follow up to the retirement letter I wrote for a friend. He got an email this morning thanking him for the letter and asking "what is your retirement date".  Information that was in the first line of a very terse letter.  This is one of the reasons a lot of people hate having to deal with HR.

I'm petty and would respond with something like "per the first sentence in my retirement letter, again, my retirement date is XX."

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

I’m sure I’d get fired if people knew what I was really thinking:

These employee morale building events are a waste of fucking time.  That’s not even a personal dig at anyone.  When the smoke clears from it it will be the same bullshit as before

the overly enthusiastic employee is driving me nuts as well.  This person is just way too fucking talkative.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

People always forget HR is there to protect the company, not the employee. 

In happier news, my boss told me that our "people and culture" team is doing compensation reviews to ensure everyone is being paid fair market rate and they'll do any necessary salary adjustments later this year. It doesn't replace the yearly merit raise. They do this every so often and is one of the many ways they keep employee retention numbers so high. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
19 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Have two phone interviews this week (two different employers). I’m a little suspicious of the employer I’m interviewing with tomorrow. I got contacted about two months after I applied (which doesn’t bother me too much; who knows what was going on behind the scenes) and received an email from “The HR Team” inviting me to interview. I found it weird that whoever wrote the email couldn’t even put their name but I think the company outsourced the job posting and screening interviews since the job wasn’t on their job board. So I responded and asked if I could have a copy of the job description since the job has been taken down. The HR rep gives me an interview time but does not acknowledge my request for the description, so I thanked her for letting me know the interview time and asked again if I could review the job description. She still hasn’t even acknowledged it or provided a copy. (Luckily I found it at the beginning of a notebook.)

I hope this is not indicative of what the employer is like to work for. At a minimum, I see a yellow flag but I will still do the call with this apparent HR robot and see what happens if I get to meet the employer. 

My interview on Friday has no red or yellow flags so far at least.  

Yikes. Be careful that one isn't a DevilCorp

https://www.reddit.com/r/Devilcorp/comments/vs5i8m/welcome_to_rdevilcorp_what_you_need_to_know_and/

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It’s not haha. Without giving away too much, the job is supporting a training and education department at an industry association.

The HR rep who did the interview is a consultant and isn’t an employee of the company but rather the agency she works for. So since a lot of HR screens are just making sure that we’re on the same page about the job and benefits (and a consultant likely doesn’t know that much about the job anyway; even internal HR reps don’t always know a ton during phone screens), I will see what happens when I get to talk to the hiring manager. I’m still skeptical but who knows. 

• Like 2

I’m for all individuality and expressing oneself.  I mean look who is on my avatar

That being said there’s a place and time for everything.  A lot of people here are just real unprofessional imo.  

Interview this morning went well, and I already have a time for a panel interview next week! I think this job is a stronger potential fit than the position I interviewed for last month, but I know nothing matters until there’s an offer. I was too hyped up after today to keep applying so I just gave myself the rest of the day off from job apps. Indeed and LinkedIn will be there tomorrow just as well. 

Oddly enough I feel kind of guilty for thinking of leaving my current role, which is weird considering customer service jobs (especially call centers!) are generally high turnover by nature. I guess it’s because my current employer does have good benefits otherwise and I’ve been there less than six months and I’m sure they’d be upset if I left too soon. At the same time, working in the call center was only meant to be a stopgap for me until I found a better fit (even the recruiter I talked to today understood that customer service was not my long term goal), and I’m not going to stay there forever when the job has already made me cry a few times! Gotta help myself out too. 

• Like 4

A job I had back in 2010 was the first time I learned other people have "Sunday Night Blues" so to speak.  It was actually at an employee party back then over the weekend.

While there was a lot I dint like about that job I got laid off there.  As a result of "The Great Recession" to some extent.  

Months later I found another job the one I have now and just thought yeah I'll be here for like a year pay my dues then get back on my feet.  All these years later I am still at my job.  I used to apply for other jobs years back but nothing much ever came of it and just gave up.  

In many ways I still feel the impact of The Great Recession.  

• Hugs 1
14 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Months later I found another job the one I have now and just thought yeah I'll be here for like a year pay my dues then get back on my feet.  All these years later I am still at my job.  I used to apply for other jobs years back but nothing much ever came of it and just gave up.  

In many ways I still feel the impact of The Great Recession.  

I feel this. Part of the reason I’m pushing to get out of my current job is because I only had to take it due to being laid off from my last job (I still haven’t forgiven my old employer for how coldly they treated me two weeks before Christmas and how my boss was focused more on her feelings while talking to me about it). I hate everything about working in customer service but the bills have to be paid. I didn’t go work in a call center because I have an undying passion for entitled customers and being constantly scrutinized, trust me. I’m hoping to be out by the end of the year but if that fails, hopefully I don’t have to stay longer than the one-year mark early next year.

Anyway, I am quitting career counseling.    Now that my counselor gave me resume feedback (she said it was mostly fine and I just need to show more “results,” which is hard in jobs where results weren’t really measured in numbers, but I guess I could embellish), I don’t really feel like there’s much point in continuing and still doing worksheets. And she’s starting to stress me out more! During my session last week, she literally said a thermostat on the wall in a spare room with a desk (the thermostat has been there long before I moved in and I am not going to attempt to rip it out of the wall) could be distracting to an interviewer and I should position my computer so it’s not in the background. Sorry but if an employer is that distracted by something most people have in their home, do I really want to work for that person anyway? We’re not talking about a religious shrine or boy band posters being on the walls or something. And she was asking me if sitting in front of two closet doors downstairs was really the only option I have. Again, I’m not going to work for someone who hates that I interviewed in front of two doors that may be open an inch.

I did get a mini ring light on Amazon last night to help with my presentation but I am not going to hide a thermostat for crying out loud. The interviewer can learn to cope for an hour. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

During my session last week, she literally said a thermostat on the wall in a spare room with a desk (the thermostat has been there long before I moved in and I am not going to attempt to rip it out of the wall) could be distracting to an interviewer and I should position my computer so it’s not in the background.

Tips I’ve seen about virtual interviews include the advice to have a plain background, with no additional objects within the frame. There’s a bunch more, available by using Google. Indeed also has a section on it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Tips I’ve seen about virtual interviews include the advice to have a plain background, with no additional objects within the frame. There’s a bunch more, available by using Google. Indeed also has a section on it.

Other than the thermostat, the wall is plain. She also harped on me when I sat in front of two closed closet doors downstairs that were plain. (OK they were open an inch or two but you couldn’t see the washer and dryer, and she still nitpicked it. So where am I supposed to interview then? I only have so many spaces at home and these are the most appropriate setups. 

I don't think having a thermostat on the wall on an otherwise plain wall or sitting in front of closet doors you can't see inside is that big of a deal and any interviewer who is upset about it is the problem. I am not going to rip a thermostat out of the wall in a house I don't even own to please an employer. 

I am so sick of all the pressure on applicants to be perfect in every single way or they don't deserve to work. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Why can't you blur your background? It's unfortunately back to an employer's market. There are so many qualified people looking for work that they have the pick and your choices are play the game to meet whatever standards employer's have (simple resolution to your background issiebis the blur) or stay where you are and make the best of it.

I get it, it sucks. Every time interviewed I dragged a cat tree out of view, covered the bed in my office with a white sheet, used a blurred background, and spent 10 minutes adjusting the lighting and blinds so they could see me clearly.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

. . . Sorry but if an employer is that distracted by something most people have in their home, do I really want to work for that person anyway?. . Again, I’m not going to work for someone who hates that I interviewed in front of two doors that may be open an inch.

I did get a mini ring light on Amazon last night to help with my presentation but I am not going to hide a thermostat for crying out loud. The interviewer can learn to cope for an hour. 

1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I don't think having a thermostat on the wall on an otherwise plain wall or sitting in front of closet doors you can't see inside is that big of a deal and any interviewer who is upset about it is the problem. . .I am so sick of all the pressure on applicants to be perfect in every single way or they don't deserve to work. 

In a competitive market, best to be flexible. The interviewer's in the power seat. They don't need to "learn to cope for an hour" or ignore distractions.  They don't need to learn or do anything.  The pressure's always on the applicant to be as perfect as can be so the applicant is seen in the best light.  Not one who shows the interviewer - screw it, this'll be good enough. (Unless the applicant has major skills or talent that no one else can match for a job no one else is qualified to take, attention to every detail is required.)

If the job requires attention to detail, not bothering to close background doors or aim the camera or put on a background blocker to make the presentation space bland & eliminate distraction, puts you below someone who paid attention to those details. They get the job & you don't.  Why?  Not based on skills.  Based on something more important to working with others - attitude and attention to detail.  When there are multiple applicants it's the tiny things that push one applicant over another.  If you're bothering to apply for the job, bother to ensure that you get it. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

I work in the philanthropy world and once tried to organize a mental health awareness seminar focusing on East Asian mental health awareness.  It - especially back in 2018 - is still very much stigmatized.  There ARE organizations, but I found it difficult to get one of them to discuss mental health as how it affects children (whether minors or adults, but ESPECIALLY minors) of immigrants who have continuous conflict with their parents/other family members due to culture.  The woman I spoke with at an organization that specializes in East Asian (or namely, Chinese) mental healthcare and awareness, kind of skirted around my questions.  I feel like they only want to focus on actual immigrants, especially those who have language challenges (which I totally get, but some who do not still want a therapist who understands the culture).  It leaves a big hole.  She was actually quite annoying and I gave up.  I get this a lot.  People kind of skirting around/spinning things.  And it makes me roll my eyes.  I'm trying to help.  So why are you not even answering my questions? 

(edited)

I guess every employer is different then because I had other people tell me they would not be bothered by a thermostat on an otherwise plain wall. I’m still not going to work with the career counselor anymore, and for some reason my computer completely slows down as soon as I blur my Zoom background. But I cannot afford hundreds of dollars on a new laptop right now either.

I am doing the best I can on the space and resources I have available. I’m glad for all the people who are perfect though and have never made a mistake on their virtual interviews or never left something in the background on accident. I got a job once before when sitting up against a plain closed door and the boss who interviewed me thankfully isn’t the type of person who would be upset if I had a thermostat on the wall and didn’t blur my background like. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
(edited)

We're just trying to help you succeed. People here have a huge variety of experience, including recruiting and hiring, coaching, career development, etc...

Flexibility, attention to detail, creative problem solving, displaying the ability to be a team player all matter during an interview.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 16
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I'm glad for all the people who are perfect though and have never made a mistake on their virtual interviews or never left something in the background on accident. 

No one here has claimed to be perfect, but they are giving you great advice (advice I'm going to use when I start looking for a new job next year!). You have to play the game if you want to get a new job, especially in this market, and that means adjusting and doing things you might not necessarily think are needed. It shows you care about the details, are presenting your best self to the people you could potentially be working with, and are setting yourself apart from the other candidates. If I'm being flat out honest, saying the interviewer will just have to adjust and "can learn to cope" throws out a defensive attitude that I feel like an interviewer could pick up on.

• Like 13
(edited)

I mean you obviously want to put your best foot forward in an interview but personally I dont see a thermostat in the background as an issue.  It's not like its a picture of a naked chick or guy.

I mean personally if someone is going to be that picky about something like a thermostat in the background what will they be like to work for?  A job I got years back I went on an interview for in person and was asked if I parked in the first spot as that was the bosses.  I said no, which I didn't.  In retrospect though that was a little a bit of a flag to me now as someone more socially nuanced as to what that company was all about.  It was the owners way or the highway where people weren't allowed to have opinions in this company.  Frankly it stunk.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I mean personally if someone is going to be that picky about something like a thermostat in the background what will they be like to work for?  A job I got years back I went on an interview for in person and was asked if I parked in the first spot as that was the bosses.  I said no, which I didn't.  In retrospect though that was a little a bit of a flag to me now as someone more socially nuanced as to what that company was all about.  It was the owners way or the highway where people weren't allowed to have opinions in this company.  Frankly it stunk.

If a large organization -good chance the initial interviewer isn't even the person for whom you're actually going to work & maybe that person isn't picky. But you'll never know because the one sifting through many applicants can use whatever criteria they want to weed out the unqualified, the lax, the lazy, the crazy, those who aren't team players, the complainers, the slow learners, & those with entitled attitudes. And on even teeny-tiny seemingly inconsequential things rejections can be based.

It's not being picky about a thermostat or open doors, per se.  It's about giving a professional vibe to your presentation, where ever it takes place. Attention to detail.  Not hard to position a laptop so the thermostat doesn't show.  Sit closer or slant the screen or angle your head or body to block it. Not hard to fully close closet doors. (Or if you really can't adjust for whatever it is, just start off by thanking them for the opportunity to interview by Zoom (or whatever) & that your options are limited for a quiet interview space & you hope x, y or z won't be distractions - and move on.)

Maybe it matters not at all for a dead-end job - but if there's room to advance, you want them to see from the get-go that you're alert. And not that person who can't be bothered to close a closet (if a clue to them that you won't close drawers or cabinets at work or have a lax or "whatever" attitude.)  They have so little to go on - the tiniest things can leave impressions or clues - good or bad.  Do you seem detail-oriented & will present well to supervisors or clients (if client-facing) - or one who doesn't even know what the considerations are, or if you know, don't care?

As for the owner's parking space, I don't see how that leads to a red flag about not allowing room for workers' opinions or that it's the owners' way or the highway.  That owner is running a business that provides the means for others to earn a salary.  Respect that.  It has no bearing whatsoever on whether employee opinions are respected or considered.  It simply means, I'm boss so I get a designated spot.  In big & small office buildings there are often reserved parking spots for bosses, supervisors, managers or whoever.  It doesn't stink. That's life. And a lesson - you want a reserved spot - earn it. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, realityplease said:

If a large organization -good chance the initial interviewer isn't even the person for whom you're actually going to work & maybe that person isn't picky. But you'll never know because the one sifting through many applicants can use whatever criteria they want to weed out the unqualified, the lax, the lazy, the crazy, those who aren't team players, the complainers, the slow learners, & those with entitled attitudes. And on even teeny-tiny seemingly inconsequential things rejections can be based.

It's not being picky about a thermostat or open doors, per se.  It's about giving a professional vibe to your presentation, where ever it takes place. Attention to detail.  Not hard to position a laptop so the thermostat doesn't show.  Sit closer or slant the screen or angle your head or body to block it. Not hard to fully close closet doors. (Or if you really can't adjust for whatever it is, just start off by thanking them for the opportunity to interview by Zoom (or whatever) & that your options are limited for a quiet interview space & you hope x, y or z won't be distractions - and move on.)

Maybe it matters not at all for a dead-end job - but if there's room to advance, you want them to see from the get-go that you're alert. And not that person who can't be bothered to close a closet (if a clue to them that you won't close drawers or cabinets at work or have a lax or "whatever" attitude.)  They have so little to go on - the tiniest things can leave impressions or clues - good or bad.  Do you seem detail-oriented & will present well to supervisors or clients (if client-facing) - or one who doesn't even know what the considerations are, or if you know, don't care?

As for the owner's parking space, I don't see how that leads to a red flag about not allowing room for workers' opinions or that it's the owners' way or the highway.  That owner is running a business that provides the means for others to earn a salary.  Respect that.  It has no bearing whatsoever on whether employee opinions are respected or considered.  It simply means, I'm boss so I get a designated spot.  In big & small office buildings there are often reserved parking spots for bosses, supervisors, managers or whoever.  It doesn't stink. That's life. And a lesson - you want a reserved spot - earn it. 

I work for a large company as well and had not heard of anyone getting denied for how the visual presented per online interviews.  However here most but all interviews are back to being in person.

Just because someone else is a supervisor or provides for others don’t mean I have to respect them.  Not if he uses tactics like threatening to fire people by end of the day if things aren’t taken care of or holding up employees paychecks.  In a professional organization I belong to someone there used to work for audit in a mid size company.  The company had struct and very bureaucratic rules when it came to parking and management.  The rest of the company as well was run poorly.  So yes in my experience if a company is very particular about parking that is a red flag about how it’s run.  

• Like 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I work for a large company as well and had not heard of anyone getting denied for how the visual presented per online interviews.  However here most but all interviews are back to being in person.

Just because someone else is a supervisor or provides for others don’t mean I have to respect them.  Not if he uses tactics like threatening to fire people by end of the day if things aren’t taken care of or holding up employees paychecks.  In a professional organization I belong to someone there used to work for audit in a mid size company.  The company had struct and very bureaucratic rules when it came to parking and management.  The rest of the company as well was run poorly.  So yes in my experience if a company is very particular about parking that is a red flag about how it’s run.  

Except for people in the HR Dept, unless we were part of the management affected by the hires & had input, & sometimes not even then, we were not privy to information about the totality of who had interviewed nor learn the particular reasons why any one person was selected over another.  So I'm not sure how anyone not involved in the hiring would have "heard" or know if someone wasn't hired for any particular reason. And if they had "heard," that would seem rather indiscreet of the hiring folks, at very least.  Few rejected applicants are told of the specific reasons they weren't selected so they might not know either - they just don't hear back or just don't get the job.

Holding up paychecks or threatened firings are not okay.  But that's far different than parking rules.  We only discussed a space reserved for the boss.  Don't see how a reserved boss' space shows a company is bureaucratic or poorly run.  It just means certain positions come with certain perks.  That's pretty universal.  Advancement has its rewards. Sometimes minor, like parking spots, sometimes major, like salary. 

As for respect, it is usually earned (though you can have respect for the position & not the person.) Sometimes we have to work with or for people we don't respect.  And if the people, rules, or firm culture just aren't worth it or mesh with our goals, can leave.

Edited by realityplease
left out a "not"
  • Like 5

A company hires a person to provide a service in exchange for money. The company isn't a friend or family. They don't provide unconditional love and acceptance. They have a need and standards that needs to be met by the person they are hiring. It is a transactional relationship. Nothing more.

• Like 11
6 hours ago, realityplease said:

Except for people in the HR Dept, unless we were part of the management affected by the hires & had input, & sometimes not even then, we were not privy to information about the totality of who had interviewed nor learn the particular reasons why any one person was selected over another.  So I'm not sure how anyone not involved in the hiring would have "heard" or know if someone wasn't hired for any particular reason. And if they had "heard," that would seem rather indiscreet of the hiring folks, at very least.  Few rejected applicants are told of the specific reasons they weren't selected so they might know either - they just don't hear back or just don't get the job.

Holding up paychecks or threatened firings are not okay.  But that's far different than parking rules.  We only discussed a space reserved for the boss.  Don't see how a reserved boss' space shows a company is bureaucratic or poorly run.  It just means certain positions come with certain perks.  That's pretty universal.  Advancement has its rewards. Sometimes minor, like parking spots, sometimes major, like salary. 

As for respect, it is usually earned (though you can have respect for the position & not the person.) Sometimes we have to work with or for people we don't respect.  And if the people, rules, or firm culture just aren't worth it or mesh with our goals, can leave.

I agree with the bold.

My point was if there seems to be an unhealthy focus by a company on in this case parking spaces to me it's probably not going to be a company I'll enjoy working for.  I'll leave the conversation there.  

• Like 1

Speaking of job interviews I think it’s easier to find a job when you’re out of work.  Yeah I mean it looks better if you’re employed but the interview process from I recall is time consuming.

Plus if you’re not working you have more time to prepare and become emotionally invested in the interview.  Then there’s the thing if you work for asking for “personal time” off or to leave work early.  My boss is smart.  If I ever said that more than once in a week she’d catch something was up.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of job interviews I think it’s easier to find a job when you’re out of work.  Yeah I mean it looks better if you’re employed but the interview process from I recall is time consuming.

I wonder though if you WFH and can have virtual interviews if the process might be easier or not.  I am fortunate enough to be working remotely ever since covid and am only interested in looking for other remote work.  I'm relatively happy and complacent in my job but have come to the conclusion I need to find something else for financial reasons.

• Like 2

I'd rather look for work while I still have a job than being desperate when out of work. The latter situation may mean I take or have to take something I hate and won't stay with for very long. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

I'd rather look for work while I still have a job than being desperate when out of work. The latter situation may mean I take or have to take something I hate and won't stay with for very long. 

I guess we are all different.  I totally understand the struggle is real so to speak.

But in retrospect I was pretty fortunate with this job only working part time before it.  It gave me time and energy to focus more on finding a good fit.  While at times my job doesn’t feel that way…. I’ve lasted over 10 years with it 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ABay said:

Not venting a spleen, just a work-related thing: Today is my 25th anniversary at my current job. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Congratulations! At the very least, that's an amazing accomplishment in today's workforce. Is your company celebrating you in any way? They should. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, ABay said:

Not venting a spleen, just a work-related thing: Today is my 25th anniversary at my current job. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It sounds like a pretty neat thing. Somebody should at least take you out to lunch today. 

My company is about 27-28 years old. Earlier this spring we had a big retirement shindig for about 10-12 long time employees who were hanging it up in 2023. As we have an affiliation with a sports team, one of the things they gave each retiree was a jersey with their name and a number that corresponded to the number of years they were with the company. 

One of my favorite people in the company was in the group with his number 27 jersey. He had been there from the start, which means he was in a small office space with the owner and few other people when they were just getting started on what is now a multi-billion dollar business. 

• Like 8

Thank you... It's mostly significant to me because it means I've reached half of the criteria to retire with a full pension, and I'll reach the other in December. Also, I'm stunned I'm still here. It's a bit different in academia. At my university, there's a campus-wide celebration in the fall for everyone who was tenured or promoted the previous spring semester, and the union holds a lunch for new and newly retired faculty in the fall. Departments also usually hold a party for departing faculty, generally in April/May as most people leave after the spring semester. Between tenure and retirement, eh.

But I bought some wine and a cake to go with dinner tonight.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
10 hours ago, ABay said:

Congratulations!  Champagne and cake!

Now you have to stop reminding everyone of how much better it was in the old days.

I work for a federal agency.  In my first week there was an awards ceremony and someone got a 50 year pin.  My roommates thought I had joined a cult.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
11 hours ago, ABay said:

Congratulations!!!!! 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ABay said:

I've been at my current job for over 35 years.  I feel just fine about it since retirement is just months away!  Good golly, I am OLD.  

• Like 8
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, Calvada said:

I've been at my current job for over 35 years.  I feel just fine about it since retirement is just months away!  Good golly, I am OLD.  

I was at my "career" job as an employee for two years and then self-employed (with a partner) for 36 years....retired for one year (doing some volunteer work) and then was recruited for an entirely different job two years later, which I still do. Its part time so I can still do my volunteer work at a local pantry as well as pursue other things. So I'm an OLD too...but I clearly like to stay busy! Work doesn't feel as work like when you can choose to do it (rather than have to), right?

• Like 6

I’m so embarrassed and ashamed right now.

I had a promising interview with an employer last week (and once I chilled out I even ordered a mini ring light to put on my laptop to look good in the interview). I got a skills test and the other day the recruiter reached out to me and asked for my references. I got really excited and everyone who I asked was willing, with a former supervisor even telling me she gave me a “stellar” reference. (She was my boss at the job that laid me off but it wasn’t her decision to let me go.) Well, today, I got a rejection email “blah blah we had tons of applicants etc. and we went for someone with more experience.” I can’t believe I made it this far only to lose out at the reference check stage and now I have to tell all my references I didn’t get the position, which is embarrassing. In most cases, a reference check is a done deal. 

I am not going to reach out for feedback, since if I hadn’t interviewed well and bombed the skills test I’m sure they never would have asked for references. I mean maybe it was thisclose and they went with someone else, but I was so hopeful. I know the longer I am in the call center the harder it will get to break out, and I feel terrified at getting stuck in customer service.

At the same time, maybe I need to cool it on the job hunt for now…

• Hugs 6
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I know the longer I am in the call center the harder it will get to break out, and I feel terrified at getting stuck in customer service.

At the same time, maybe I need to cool it on the job hunt for now…

For me, you're looking at this exactly the wrong way. Try to flip it; the more intrviews you have, the closer you are to landing the right job.  If your interviewing skills and resume were such a problem, you wouldn't continue to get multiple rounds into these openings. 

Self-fulfilling prophecies are dangerous. Negativity can spill out of your pores if you let it, and be picked up by astute interviewers.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1

It’s hard for me to look it at that way when I am rejected again and again and never seem to be the best candidate for anything. 

And unfortunately there are some employers out there who would only see me as being good at customer service if I end up stuck there too long. I am not looking to accept another call center or customer service position. It sucks to have to be a punching bag with a smile on your face since every little move you make is monitored. I have colleagues who have been doing this for several years and I admire that they can survive it. I hate it. I just wish I could go back to a job that’s more back office-oriented. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2
23 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

It’s hard for me to look it at that way when I am rejected again and again and never seem to be the best candidate for anything. 

And unfortunately there are some employers out there who would only see me as being good at customer service if I end up stuck there too long. I am not looking to accept another call center or customer service position. It sucks to have to be a punching bag with a smile on your face since every little move you make is monitored. I have colleagues who have been doing this for several years and I admire that they can survive it. I hate it. I just wish I could go back to a job that’s more back office-oriented. 

Have you thought of doing something different all together, like starting your own business?  

35 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Have you thought of doing something different all together, like starting your own business?  

I am not really made for self-employment though I wouldn’t mind having a part time side hustle. I don‘t love the idea of having to pay my own health insurance and going weeks at a time without income. I like the stability of an employer but it’s so hard anymore to find a job unless you have the right connections or manage to say everything flawlessly in an interview and hit all the right marks on your assessments, if your field does those. Plus it seems so many employers want experience immediately and don’t want to train anymore.

I have been talking to some accountants lately, as if I go back to school I want to do it right and get an employable skill this time. So far, it seems like a good possibility for me! But we’ll see. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I am not really made for self-employment though I wouldn’t mind having a part time side hustle. I don‘t love the idea of having to pay my own health insurance and going weeks at a time without income. I like the stability of an employer but it’s so hard anymore to find a job unless you have the right connections or manage to say everything flawlessly in an interview and hit all the right marks on your assessments, if your field does those. Plus it seems so many employers want experience immediately and don’t want to train anymore.

I have been talking to some accountants lately, as if I go back to school I want to do it right and get an employable skill this time. So far, it seems like a good possibility for me! But we’ll see. 

Have you gone to networking events (are they still a thing?)?  When I was blogging, I'd go to speed networking parties on the regular, and made connections with PR people as well as those in the fashion/food/lifestyle industries.  This was in the late aughts and early 2010s (I'd say 2008-2013?), so things are probably really different now.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Calvada said:

I received my '40 year pin' (and a framed picture) several months ago.  I've been at the same library for that amount of time (right out of graduate school), but have done various jobs within the library.  I've been eligible to retire for a couple of years, but as long as I basically like my job I'll keep working.  I'm trying to get in better shape right now and once I do if I feel like I could travel (and do the walking that would probably be involved) I might retire and do some traveling around.  But I have two elderly cats that I don't like to leave for more than one night at a time, so my travel options are limited.  And even when I retire, I would be eligible to go back to the same library to work part-time at the front desk (one or two nights a week and the occasional weekend) to make some extra money.  One thing I do like about my job these days is that there isn't any real pressure.  I do my job well (at least I think I do) and I fulfill my duties (including doing some research, conducting workshops, etc.) but I don't have the pressure that the young librarians to do obtain tenure (I got that decades ago).  And, if I decided that the atmosphere of the place had changed for the worse (due to changes in administration, for example) I have the freedom to just retire. It's kind of nice.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I hear ya 💯

18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Have you gone to networking events (are they still a thing?)?  When I was blogging, I'd go to speed networking parties on the regular, and made connections with PR people as well as those in the fashion/food/lifestyle industries.  This was in the late aughts and early 2010s (I'd say 2008-2013?), so things are probably really different now.

When I was in college we'd have like a career day or something like that where representatives from different companies were there to talk too.  You'd wait and stand in line with them and hope for an interview.  Too which only one time and interview came out of it for me and the representative from this company told me he hated doing them from his end.

The one professional organization I belong to used to have something like that.  And ironically between that 2008-2013 this was.  They'd get representatives fro different companies you can try to network with.  Again back in the day this never led to anything for me.  

But yeah like you say though I have a feeling those events might be a thing of the past?  idk.  especially with more and more work from home situations 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

When I was in college we'd have like a career day or something like that where representatives from different companies were there to talk too.  You'd wait and stand in line with them and hope for an interview.  Too which only one time and interview came out of it for me and the representative from this company told me he hated doing them from his end.

The one professional organization I belong to used to have something like that.  And ironically between that 2008-2013 this was.  They'd get representatives fro different companies you can try to network with.  Again back in the day this never led to anything for me.  

But yeah like you say though I have a feeling those events might be a thing of the past?  idk.  especially with more and more work from home situations 

I remember those from college too. But even by the time I was going to them (around 2006 or 2007) employers were telling you to apply online. I never found them very useful. 

There is a networking group in my region and they say they are “enhancing” the area but I never see them doing anything besides having networking events at various fancy restaurants. They could at least be doing some community service or something too.  

• Like 3