Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

On 12/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, isalicat said:

Regarding quitting a job: Two issues will come up eventually, I am sorry to say, even if you have a good financial cushion to tide you over and figure out how to get/keep health insurance that works for you.

(1) When you start looking for a new job, you will be at a disadvantage because you quit your previous job. This is, in my experience, often a "red flag" for potential employers because it leads to the assumption of "well, she could walk away from us if she doesn't like it because she did it before...".

(2) One of the rules of interviewing is not to "bad mouth" your current/previous employer and that is going to be hard if you quit since what are you going to say: "It was a great job but I left anyways"? So think about this very carefully: what explanation will you offer as to why you quit that does not reflect negatively on the job/company you left?

I understand. One thing in my favor though is I’ve had several years at this company (including promotion) and several at my previous company (including promotions). So I think there is still quite a bit to lead one to believe that I can keep a job and am a good worker. 

Yeah, that is something I’m still working on. It’s a shame so much can be used to draw a negative conclusion about a potential employee. The best workers do have issues with their employers, deal with enough bs, and then bounce. 

On the bright side, I am still at my job, so I’m keeping my fingers I’ll find a new job before I quit. I’ve mentioned to friends that I’m looking, so they’ll keep me in mind if they can think of opportunities for me. I’ve added connections on LinkedIn. I’ve obviously applied for jobs now. I’m trying to look for jobs that are around the same pay or higher, but maybe I should be open to lower just so I don’t have that gap in between jobs.

I’ve never dreamed of putting in my two weeks notice more. Oh man, it will be so delicious. I am a damn good worker, and they’re going to regret the way they’ve treated me there. 

• Hugs 2
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Everyone in my division is required to come in on the third Wednesday of every month; tomorrow is the first one

Tomorrow is the second Wednesday of this month, not the third.  Not that the extra week or of worry will do you any good.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
of, not or.
51 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Right I meant the second Wednesday of every month. Tomorrow is the meeting.

I felt like that guy in school who, when the teacher said, "Tomorrow we'll cover chapter six," would raise his hand and say, "Mr. Teacher?  Tomorrow is Saturday."  Groan.

But then I thought there was a chance you really had mixed it up.  I just went though an ordeal on NYC's MTA website relating to the schedule for their mobile office van, where it's at X address on the first and third Wednesday of the month, and Y address on the second and fourth Thursday of the month, for about 100 addresses.  And of course I'll be there on the second Thursday but the next day is the third Friday.  It was more than my little brain could handle.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It was more than my little brain could handle.

Well, I went to the MTA site once again, just to quadruple-check that I had it right, and nope.  I got it wrong.  I was somehow looking at the first Thursday of the month, when I needed the second Thursday, which is listed as 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.

Tragically, I can't really blame the website.  Short of doing a calendar showing the schedule for each day of a given month, it's about as clear as they can make it.

And no doubt I'll end up not trying to meet up with the mobile office van after all.  Typical.

Had a phone interview today but it ended quick because the recruiter said the company was looking for someone to support team members in the Pacific time zone. I wouldn’t mind doing that if I were still out of work or something, but in my current job, I occasionally have to work a mid-shift and honestly it kind of sucks. I really am hoping to get away from that and go back to a standard 9-5 or similar close variation. I am sure the job will be good for someone who doesn’t mind working mid shift or is closer to the West Coast. I didn’t know this when I applied for the job and the recruiter said she just found out too.

I am frustrated because I was laid off a year ago now and I still have not found a position that would be a good fit for me. Everything pays less or doesn’t have the schedule I want. (To be clear I am fine with staying at work beyond 5:00 if needed, I just don’t enjoy working the mid shifts and weekends at my current job…but of course I was out of work at the time and desperate.) When I do find a job I am over the moon for, I have gotten all the way to late stages only to be the first or second runner-up. I just thought by now someone besides a call center would have made me an offer or been a good fit for me. This layoff has really harmed my career and prospects. I am even trying to leave that job off my resume now where it’s not relevant. 

Better luck in 2024 I guess. 

• Hugs 5
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Well, I went to the MTA site once again, just to quadruple-check that I had it right, and nope.  I got it wrong.  I was somehow looking at the first Thursday of the month, when I needed the second Thursday, which is listed as 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month.

Tragically, I can't really blame the website.  Short of doing a calendar showing the schedule for each day of a given month, it's about as clear as they can make it.

And no doubt I'll end up not trying to meet up with the mobile office van after all.  Typical.

I never see the van anymore. Are you trying to get a senior pass?  I got mine through the mail when I turned 65. It wasn’t that hard at all. They will be mailing me a new Omni tap card at the end of the month to sub for my swipe card.  Swipe cards are going away.  I have an on line account so I can even report a lost card.  I may switch to the phone app eventually. I’d have to use my existing credentials to be able to get the half fares 

On 12/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, RealHousewife said:

I understand. One thing in my favor though is I’ve had several years at this company (including promotion) and several at my previous company (including promotions). So I think there is still quite a bit to lead one to believe that I can keep a job and am a good worker. 

Yeah, that is something I’m still working on. It’s a shame so much can be used to draw a negative conclusion about a potential employee. The best workers do have issues with their employers, deal with enough bs, and then bounce. 

On the bright side, I am still at my job, so I’m keeping my fingers I’ll find a new job before I quit. I’ve mentioned to friends that I’m looking, so they’ll keep me in mind if they can think of opportunities for me. I’ve added connections on LinkedIn. I’ve obviously applied for jobs now. I’m trying to look for jobs that are around the same pay or higher, but maybe I should be open to lower just so I don’t have that gap in between jobs.

I’ve never dreamed of putting in my two weeks notice more. Oh man, it will be so delicious. I am a damn good worker, and they’re going to regret the way they’ve treated me there. 

I've been working on a little building connections on LinkedIn of late.

I got connected with people I went to grade school with I hadn't heard from in ages.  I messaged a few of them as well and didn't hear back.  Oh well guess to an extent I cant blame them.  

Thanks for the gift link; I'll come back to it for the details (hopefully expressed in actual words), as I rolled my eyes so hard at this I'm afraid they'll get stuck if I keep going right now:

People are embracing and documenting their delulu online—as well as the catchphrase “delulu is the solulu”—as a way to challenge themselves and make risky career moves that they hope will pay off. Some see it as another form of manifesting, another way to affirm that whatever dreams they have will eventually come true.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Thanks for the gift link; I'll come back to it for the details (hopefully expressed in actual words), as I rolled my eyes so hard at this I'm afraid they'll get stuck if I keep going right now:

People are embracing and documenting their delulu online—as well as the catchphrase “delulu is the solulu”—as a way to challenge themselves and make risky career moves that they hope will pay off. Some see it as another form of manifesting, another way to affirm that whatever dreams they have will eventually come true.

My eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head!

🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

OK, I've got this problem in my offtask life,too, but here's one that's worse in my office  worklife: callers who think that one is doing NOTHING whatsoever besides attending to their very own  phone calls and refuse to believe that one has other imminently urgent tasks to attend to instead of solely passively listening to their rants. It also needs to be said that some of the worse offenders blurt out stuff faster than the Fed Ex ad guy AND openly get annoyed if one politely  asks them to slow down and/or spell out vital surnames! ARGGHH!!!

27 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, I've got this problem in my offtask life,too, but here's one that's worse in my office  worklife: callers who think that one is doing NOTHING whatsoever besides attending to their very own  phone calls and refuse to believe that one has other imminently urgent tasks to attend to instead of solely passively listening to their rants. It also needs to be said that some of the worse offenders blurt out stuff faster than the Fed Ex ad guy AND openly get annoyed if one politely  asks them to slow down and/or spell out vital surnames! ARGGHH!!!

Totally sympathize about callers who won’t slow down! 

But if I can put in a word on behalf of frustrated callers, by the time I’ve gone through multiple levels of chat/phone/callbacks/re-callbacks/we’re texting you a verification code at every step of the way- by the time I get to an actual person who is supposed to be able to address my problem, I do expect that person to be 100% devoted to solving my problem. (Sorry, can you tell I’ve been through this recently?)

But I realize it’s probably neither of our faults, but the fault of the company that puts people in the position of “customer service” or “support” but doesn’t provide them with the ability to actually help the customer. (Rant over)

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Agreed!  I usually find the Wall Street journal articles to be well written, but this one was incomprehensible. They wanted to write about a fad, but it was some anecdotes in search of a connection.

• Like 1

Me when someone sets a meeting for a certain time and then waits until people are in the meeting and have cleared their calendars to cancel it. You couldn’t have canceled this an hour ago, Carol? 

I know everyone loves a canceled meeting, but working remotely, sometimes after what feels like the 50th canceled meeting, I feel a bit detached from the team. I kind of prefer/like to have regular contact with my boss and teammates, and to seemingly never be able to meet with them is a bit lonely at times and draining. 

I have a phone interview on Wednesday for an on-site job. Maybe that will be a better fit, or I can eventually find a remote job where I have more regular contact with my team. Aside from just wanting out of the call center, I think I would like a role where I’m not micromanaged, per se, but can check in with my boss more often and engage more with coworkers. I don’t mind a once-in-awhile cancellation but it seems like they are constant in my job right now. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2

OK, one peeve I have had in my decades long worklife  is when there has a dispute between two or more departments over. ..whatever so they go to the big chief to find out who's right,who's wrong and/or what needs to be done by whom- and the big chief  says the departments can settle things among themselves!

If the two or more departments could resolve the issue/s, why wouldn't they already have done so instead of asking the big chief's help? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Glad we’re back! The outage made me feel like I was in withdrawal. 😂

I don’t have to go back to work until after the new year (my company is closed next week), and it’s the first time in my career I’ve had this perk, so I’m pretty excited about it. It’ll be a nice time to recharge and do some stuff around the house that I’ve been putting off.

I do hope I have better luck on the job market in 2024, as I still don’t believe working in customer service is my best long-term plan and it’s not something I want to get stuck in. (If I had to consider customer service, I would strictly start looking for B2B support or something similar; I’ve about had it with B2C and how awful the public can be.) However, since my company does have some solid benefits and good people, so even though I don’t love my actual job, I’m going to stick it out until I truly have a better offer on the table and accept it, all the checks work out, etc. (It would be hard to leave the people at my current place, but there are a lot of companies out there with nice people, so I think that would work out eventually too.) I had a phone interview the other day at a company where I have a connection and the recruiter is going to recommend me for an in-person interview after the holidays. That job would get me out of a call center environment, so we’ll see how things go. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 6

Guys, I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, but this is what happened to me . . .

I had enough and put in my two weeks notice, even without another job lined up. I instantly got a call offering me a raise to stay, and there was a discussion regarding my unfair treatment at work, as well as harassment I had experienced. 

While I think the raise should have been more, and after everything I've seen with my employer am still proceeding with a lot of caution, I decided to stay for now. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 6
38 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Guys, I'm not encouraging anyone to do this, but this is what happened to me . . .

I had enough and put in my two weeks notice, even without another job lined up. I instantly got a call offering me a raise to stay, and there was a discussion regarding my unfair treatment at work, as well as harassment I had experienced. 

While I think the raise should have been more, and after everything I've seen with my employer am still proceeding with a lot of caution, I decided to stay for now. 

I’m wishing you the best!!!! Hope the job gets better! And yay a raise! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I hope the working environment does improve for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I don't come to this corner of the forums very often, but I was reading my usual topics and then remembered there was a work vent thread, so I just wanted to come and express my sadness that my best friend at work told me he was leaving today.

I know that probably doesn't sound like too big of a deal, but he's my 'person' in the office (yeah I hate that term, but whatever, it's appropriate right now). We've worked together for 12 years and grew to be really close friends as well as co-workers, so this hits kinda hard. It's a very stressful and frustrating job (and honestly I'm ready to quit, too, but now is not the time), and having him to talk with has always been a calming measure for me and one of the joys of coming to work. Not that I don't have other friends in the office, but just not at that level. Really gonna suck not having him around to battle the doldrums.

We'll definitely see each other still and hang out on occasion, but won't be the same without him there. He's married with kids and I'm single and childless so family life keeps him busy. Being in the office and going on the occasional work trip were the only times we really got to hang out. Of course I'm happy for his new opportunity, just sad for me, lol.

I was glad that he told me first, before even turning in his resignation. He was nice enough to treat me to lunch to break the news, haha. Interestingly enough, he hinted that he'd be glad for me to join him at the new job, even if I'm not ready to leave now. Definitely something to consider, but as I said, it's not the right time for me.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me as I sit here in my feels tonight, lol.

• Hugs 13
On 12/24/2023 at 7:54 AM, RealHousewife said:

I truly hope this works out for you, and I don't want to sound like a pessimist... But... Be prepared to be let go at some point, there are strong precedents that companies offer a raise and promise of change while quietly making decisions how to complete the responsibilities of the position without that person. They just need time and a token raise keeps the person around a little longer buying them time.

• Like 5
(edited)

Working occasional evenings and weekends, and the overall inflexibility of my job, is starting to get to me. I was disappointed last night when I realized virtually every activity I wanted to go to at my church over the next two months is scheduled on an evening or weekend when I will have to work and am not allowed to ask for time off. Even the baby shower for my cousin and his wife is this weekend, when I have work. I was lucky to negotiate so I could attend; otherwise I would have missed out on a big event where everyone else in my family would have been there. (Even my sister is coming into town for the shower.)  There are normally about 5-10 days per month at my job where nobody can take time off barring things like emergencies or illness. It just sucks because I understand my employer’s needs, but it’s hard when it comes at the expense of your personal life and I see everyone else making memories and getting job flexibility that I don’t have. I am trying desperately to get back to a more 9-5 job so I can get my life back. I understand working past 5 sometimes even at those jobs, but I don’t think I am cut out for event-based work or shift work at this stage of my life. It was fine to think about in my 20s when I was considering going into the sports business (obviously lots of evenings and weekends but I was way more OK with it when I was younger), but now it’s just tedious working on the weekend and sitting at home afterward alone because I missed out on everything going on while my friends and family were out having fun. 

I am also embarrassed that it has now been a year since my layoff and I’m still in the call center and have not been hired for a role more equivalent to what I was last doing. I am doing everything I can think of to land other employment, so I don’t need anymore job search advice or interview advice at this point. (I even just had an interview at a company where I had an internal referral.) I need something to stick so I can resign and have more flexibility again, and all I need is to be the chosen one just one time and get an acceptable offer. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5

I've long given up my naive pipe dream of ever being promoted to full time at my job; hell, I've asked to work a different shift and even that doesn't look like it will happen, so I'm continuing my search for a new job. It won't be easy, and I'm terrified that nothing will happen, but I have to give it a shot anyway. Cross fingers for me. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 6
On 1/6/2024 at 1:29 AM, theredhead77 said:

I truly hope this works out for you, and I don't want to sound like a pessimist... But... Be prepared to be let go at some point, there are strong precedents that companies offer a raise and promise of change while quietly making decisions how to complete the responsibilities of the position without that person. They just need time and a token raise keeps the person around a little longer buying them time.

Thank you and I totally understand.

Even though they tried to talk me out of leaving and offered me a raise, after thinking about it some more, I decided I still had to go. I had just gone through too much. Going to vent about it a bit in chat.       

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4

I spent some time crying in my room after work today.  While some other things of late have been getting me down my boss was like excessively I thought harping on me today.  I can usually anticipate 1-2 days a month where it seems excessive.

I know when she became my manager she flat out scared me.  Tot the point I would clock out and work sometimes or just work during my lunch hour if she wasn't around.  I guess it got better over time.  But there's still bad days like today.

I used to just apply for other jobs out of frustration sometimes.  But making job interviews and possibly leaving work earlier to do so were often intimidating.  if I'm being honest with myself I'd probably only be qualified to make a lateral move at this point.

So yeah I think I'm gonna start looking at bachelor degree programs at night.  

• Hugs 4

I decided that I want to go back to school for accounting, and I’m hoping I can make that work later this year or early next. My primary reason for choosing accounting is that I want to give myself better job prospects and salary opportunities in the long-term (I’m not sure yet if I want a CPA; I know accountants who have one and ones who don’t; all have good careers), and I’m also more suited to behind the scenes work. After the day I had yesterday, being able to work with numbers and do reports is a lot more appealing than being a punching bag on the front line. 

I also feel like I have tried hard enough to get a job on my old path since my layoff. It’s been a year now and I am still not out of customer service. I’m still looking for a job that is not front-facing and would give me more flexibility but it’s clear the old way is not working anymore, as no one will hire me. I figured it is better to start fresh in a new field and get a marketable skill to go with it. I can always write as a hobby or freelance. 

• Like 6

My last post on this thread said there’s 1-2 days a month I feel my managers beats me up so to speak.  Today was it.

I’ve always sort of given her the doubt in that there’s variables I don’t see that only she does kind of thing.  

But I’m increasingly having enough.  

• Hugs 2
On 1/26/2024 at 8:27 PM, BlueSkies said:

My last post on this thread said there’s 1-2 days a month I feel my managers beats me up so to speak.  Today was it.

I’ve always sort of given her the doubt in that there’s variables I don’t see that only she does kind of thing.  

But I’m increasingly having enough.  

Generally speaking, bullies operate on a path of least resistance. If your manager is being overtly harsh, are you speaking up to indicate that this is unacceptable, and more important, not a productive way to either have you do your job properly or to create a good working environment? If not, no time like the present - schedule a closed door meeting with said manager (do not do this at the same time as she is "beating you up" because you will not be calm enough to manage the conversation properly), and tell her quite directly how this is going from your perspective. Perhaps she doesn't realize that she is communicating in a way that intimidates you (sometimes very direct people can run "roughshod" over others without realizing it), but if she pushes back, then you calmly thank her for her time, and escalate - take it to whoever heads your HR function or your bosses' boss. If that doesn't get you anywhere, its time to find a new job.

• Useful 1

Job hunt has unfortunately still been slow over the forum closure. I got ghosted from my last three interviews (two interviews with the hiring teams at two different companies, and one phone screen), so that was painful. At this point, I have accepted that I am the problem and regret messing up my early career years, as by now, I should be in a much different place and on a more equal level to my peers. 

However, giving up is not an option, so I’m not going to do that. I just updated my resume to remove the job I got laid off from (it was only four months, and in one of the interviews I got ghosted from one of the people on the panel really scrutinized it so I decided that having it there isn’t doing me favors) and took out the months of employment. So now, instead of saying 6/2016 - 4/2018, I am just writing 2016-2018. I tried to refine some of my bullet points as well.

It’s frustrating to still be going through this, but I’m not going to fold like a tent either. Hopefully things get better soon. I still think I need a more flexible job over the long-term, and I won’t get one by quitting the job hunt. 

• Hugs 6
On 1/28/2024 at 6:00 PM, isalicat said:

Generally speaking, bullies operate on a path of least resistance. If your manager is being overtly harsh, are you speaking up to indicate that this is unacceptable, and more important, not a productive way to either have you do your job properly or to create a good working environment? If not, no time like the present - schedule a closed door meeting with said manager (do not do this at the same time as she is "beating you up" because you will not be calm enough to manage the conversation properly), and tell her quite directly how this is going from your perspective. Perhaps she doesn't realize that she is communicating in a way that intimidates you (sometimes very direct people can run "roughshod" over others without realizing it), but if she pushes back, then you calmly thank her for her time, and escalate - take it to whoever heads your HR function or your bosses' boss. If that doesn't get you anywhere, its time to find a new job.

Thanks.

This was real good advice but the reality is I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet to execute this in real life.  Being assertive has never really been my strength.  Trying to gradually build up to it kind of thing.

The thing is I actually do like my boss but I mean I have my own interests to protect as well.  

• Hugs 3
Just now, BlueSkies said:

The thing is I actually do like my boss but I mean I have my own interests to protect as well.  

OK, now I'm confused. Is the person reducing you to tears your boss or someone else in your department? If it is your boss then why do you "actually...like" this person? I am clearly missing something as it sounded in previous posts like you were very unhappy with the situation. Sorry - not meaning to interrogate you, I just assume I'm not understanding properly.

I guess because I've seen this happen too many times in my decades long time in the workplace, I wish every parent/guardian of a new worker would give them the following advice:

If you are getting inclined to seek a new position and/or leave one's current position due to frustrations and you are considering venting to one of your current work colleagues about your intentions: DON'T.

Even if they've had a spotless record of keeping one's confidences instead of gossiping, it's not impossible for them to either blurt it out in frustration to either one fellow employees and/or blab it upon losing their own tempers to the bosses- and if you change your mind this could make the rest of your time there somewhat awkward with others unsure about your reliability,etc.

IOW, if you truly believe that you are ready to blaze your own path towards greener pastures- keep it totally to yourself at the workplace UNTIL you've found them and/or have actually given notice to your employers (and only vent to those with zero connections whatsoever to the workplace).

• Like 3
  • Applause 7

I had a phone interview last month where the recruiter asked me if my boss knew I was job searching and if I had talked to him about what was making me unhappy in my current role. It was such an inappropriate question, and one no interviewer (recruiter, hiring manager, or otherwise) had ever asked me before that I had no clue how to answer it. I just kind of was like “oh I keep my job searches confidential.” (I don’t remember my exact answer; it was something along those lines, though.) I did make it to the hiring manager (got ghosted), but I still can’t believe an interviewer would think that you should share your job search with your current boss and have discussions about what makes you unhappy at work.

(For the record, the reasons why I’m job searching, my boss can’t do anything about anyway. He doesn’t set the operating hours or the dates we need to work evenings and weekends. I’m largely searching to get out of call center work and have a more flexible job, and he isn’t at fault. He’s actually a great boss; I just want more room for growth and a regular schedule.) 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2

@Cloud9Shopper, reading your job hunting difficulties is making me experience PTSD about my own when I was searching.  I saw above that one of your difficulties with your present job is over work/life balance issues.  If anyone asks you why you are looking to change jobs (especially if it's a lateral move and not an advancement) it's usually acceptable to tell them that your present job doesn't offer you a schedule that fosters work/life balance.  Otherwise they can often be skeptical about lateral moves because they wonder if you're unhappy because your supervisors don't like you.  Even if you say you're looking for more money they can twist that in their minds to mean that your bosses didn't think you were worth more.  And if they try to pry about what kind of life balance you're looking for that's none of their business too.  Usually with women they assume that you're trying to balance your home life with work so they don't get too curious and know better than to take it further.  But even if you mention that you want to go back to school that could work against you because they'll assume that you're really not interested in their job but a future goal.  It's so tricky anymore and you feel like you're walking on a minefield in every interview.  I get it, and I feel for you!

2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I had a phone interview last month where the recruiter asked me if my boss knew I was job searching and if I had talked to him about what was making me unhappy in my current role. It was such an inappropriate question, and one no interviewer (recruiter, hiring manager, or otherwise) had ever asked me before that I had no clue how to answer it. I just kind of was like “oh I keep my job searches confidential.” (I don’t remember my exact answer; it was something along those lines, though.) I did make it to the hiring manager (got ghosted), but I still can’t believe an interviewer would think that you should share your job search with your current boss and have discussions about what makes you unhappy at work.

I get how that took you aback but it was a trick question for sure.  They often ask questions similar to that because they want to know why you're looking and assume (usually correctly) that there has to be some sort of dissatisfaction with the job or why would you be looking for a new one?  Usually they word it better than that, though.  It's not really inappropriate, but I get how you took it that way.  It was a poor choice of words.  You can't let it look like it got to you (even if you were justified) because they'll assume that they're hitting on something negative that you're hiding from them if you just say you keep that private.  I would have answered that question with "Oh, I'm not really unhappy in my current role, I just feel that I can be utilized better and challenged more, plus I would like a schedule that offers me a better work/life balance."  Period, the end.

I know, those that can't do, teach, right?  You would think that I would have been successful at getting a job back in 2018 and 2019 with all I know about interviewing.  Which is why EVERYONE in my life thinks I was blacklisted after my worker's comp. case with my former company.  Also, I was required to continue to look for a job for well over a year while I was on worker's comp. (and provide proof of job searches) and that actually worked against me because I was forced to continue applying to the same companies over and over again because of lack of opportunity in positions I qualified for.  And these days the more you apply to a company or a position and not get it, the more it counts against you.  So I was literally screwed over by this.  Add the fact that I was over 60 at the time and forget about it.  I often made it to a second interview and then got ghosted.  Fortunately I have been able to live on my husband's salary and am now collecting a small pension and annuity so I'll be OK until I reach full Social Security retirement age in about a year and a half.  I will also start drawing from my retirement account.  It has been a little rough for the past couple of years but I'm OK and there's a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's hopefully not an oncoming train, LOL).

Anyway, I hope this helps you.  ((HUGS)).  🤗

• Useful 1
(edited)

I am once again making it my goal to be out of the call center by the end of the year, so I hope I can at least land some more interviews soon. It feels very frustrating to be failing/struggling at interviews and then opening LinkedIn (which I have no choice but to have or I wouldn’t have it) and see my network doing well for themselves and other people finding jobs. They don’t have these problems. This is a tough market but it stands that a lot of people are getting hired regardless. I am not. And that’s a fact. I don’t get why this is happening to me. I have been hired before in non-customer service roles and I know I can do it again, but I can’t seem to impress enough. Or I get close and someone else beats me out. 

It used to feel so much easier than this. One of the jobs I lost out on got 300 applicants. Not to mention that pretty much every level of job requires 4-5 rounds of interviews these days. Maybe I’m just not good enough for this new market and heightened interview expectations. 

I went to a job fair today for seasonal hiring for the local minor league baseball team, as I used to work there and was excited about the chance to get rehired. I said to my friend later gosh if only every interview was like this. The hardest question I asked was “how do you handle customer complaints?” 😅 

I guess it just messes with my self worth to not ever be chosen and to hear people say things like “it’s surprising that you make it to final rounds and don’t get picked” or wondering what could be wrong, or looking to blame me. Career and work very much matter to me and I want a job title and a path I can be proud of and share that with others. So it does kind of suck not to have it. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 4
18 hours ago, partofme said:

I got laid off today.  Hope I’ll find a new job fast, don’t know what I’m gonna do otherwise.  

apply for unemployment if you haven't already done so 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

If you live near me and have a Biology degree, I'll hire you!  My assistant just quit, and I need a new one!

Thanks but I don’t have a biology degree, science was never my strong suit.  I believe in science, it’s just not me.  

1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

apply for unemployment if you haven't already done so 

No I haven’t, I am going to get several weeks severance so I hadn’t even thought of that.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, partofme said:

No I haven’t, I am going to get several weeks severance so I hadn’t even thought of that.  

You can have both! So go apply for unemployment ASAP as it takes a week (or more likely three) to "kick in" and start getting you the money you are due (really - its not welfare as you paid into the unemployment system all the time you were working so they owe you!). Good luck on finding a new job!

• Like 5
8 hours ago, partofme said:

I was laid off in the recession that started in '08 and I got a couple of months of severance.  Your old job might have given you an exit package with instructions on when and how to apply for unemployment.  If not they owe you instructions for that so that would be a question to ask HR.  I forget now but I think I applied for it right away and you might need to because there might be some kind of limit on how long you can wait before filing after a lay off even if you have several weeks of severance.  There will be a place on the application to indicate that you are receiving severance and how many weeks of salary you'll be getting so they will know when to start your unemployment checks.  In my case my severance was a lump sum payment but they divided it up into weeks based on my weekly salary.  

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was laid off in the recession that started in '08 and I got a couple of months of severance.  Your old job might have given you an exit package with instructions on when and how to apply for unemployment.  If not they owe you instructions for that so that would be a question to ask HR.  I forget now but I think I applied for it right away and you might need to because there might be some kind of limit on how long you can wait before filing after a lay off even if you have several weeks of severance.  There will be a place on the application to indicate that you are receiving severance and how many weeks of salary you'll be getting so they will know when to start your unemployment checks.  In my case my severance was a lump sum payment but they divided it up into weeks based on my weekly salary.  

The unemployment thing is really confusing.   I’ve lived in NJ since October, but the New Jersey unemployment website says if you physically worked in another state that you should apply for unemployment in that state.   The company I worked for is located in nyc but I’ve worked remote since 2020 and was in the office once in all of 2023, but I think I need to apply in New York.  

4 hours ago, partofme said:

The unemployment thing is really confusing.   I’ve lived in NJ since October, but the New Jersey unemployment website says if you physically worked in another state that you should apply for unemployment in that state.   The company I worked for is located in nyc but I’ve worked remote since 2020 and was in the office once in all of 2023, but I think I need to apply in New York.  

Probably, but you should check with your HR office, it would probably be easier to ask them than to wait on hold to speak with a rep. from the UI office in either state.  I know contacting HR is probably not what you want to do right now, but contacting Unemployment offices can be worse.

• Like 5

Maybe even user @partofme can benefit now from some of this feedback.

I have older versions of my resume still on job boards and I get e-mails from time to time about temp work.  It's not something I ever considered being I work full time.

But I understand the gig economy has been a thing the last several years where it's more and more common.  Just trying to get feedback on its pros and cons say if I decide I would want to change the industry I work in some day.  ty 

• Like 3

Hi guys!  Been a while!

I show up to work as usual and do my normal schtick.  Then a producer asks me if I have any problems.  I asked why and he said my edit partner wasn't there and his replacement would be in around 4!

After a choice naughty word, I got to work in the earlier hour my partner would have worked on - but didn't miss anything.  Apparently my supervisor sent an email about this (which was buried amongst a ton of other emails that don't even pertain to me!) but didn't bother to follow up with a text about this to make sure.  It's not like he hasn't texted me in the past about things like this before.  I was also surprised my edit partner didn't text me either as when we left, he was prepared to come in as usual.  I blame my supervisor more however.  

• Useful 1

So it seems like since 2014 New York State doesn’t allow you to receive severance and unemployment benefits at the same time if the amount of the severance is more than the unemployment would be.  So I don’t think I can apply for a while?  I hope I’ll get a new job long before my severance runs out because I won’t have health insurance after the end of this month, and I have prescriptions I need for my thyroid and for migraines and I don’t want to have to get Cobra.  I have some former coworkers who have been nice and trying to help me with job leads, so I’m trying to be hopeful that networking will work and I’ll get something soon, but I don’t have a great history with applying for jobs and actually getting interviews so it worries me but I’m trying to stay positive for now and hoping something good will come out of this.  

• Hugs 5