Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

C9 - what questions do you ask during the interview process? Do you have a  set-set that you tweak for each interview? Do you ask any that show you dove deep into the company to learn more about it? Do you send thank you emails after each interview?

Companies don't just hire for the position they hire for culture fit. They want people who will succeed in the role and also succeed in the company. How do you try to set yourself apart during the interview process? 

I can't remember if I ever shared this but someone (it may have been someone here) gave me a great question to ask at every interview with a hiring manager or member of the decision-making panel:

"How do you see me fitting into this role?"
"How do you see me and my experience in [fill in the blank} fitting into your team?"

It is two-fold. It gets them thinking about how you will fit in and it also can help you gauge if they think you'll fit in to mentally set expectations about moving forward.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, PRgal said:

I agree with @theredhead77!  But sometimes, companies don’t read the candidate well, hires them only to find, a couple of weeks later that they weren’t a good fit.  Because that happened to me once.  

That works both ways, too.  Sometimes the new employee realizes they aren't a good fit -- I had one quit after just a couple of weeks because the job really wasn't what she wanted to do.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That works both ways, too.  Sometimes the new employee realizes they aren't a good fit -- I had one quit after just a couple of weeks because the job really wasn't what she wanted to do.

To be honest, I didn’t really like that job either.  It just gave me weird vibes from a…let’s just say philosophical perspective.  

• Like 3

I think a lot of a job really depends on the culture.  Like that one job I had the owner would threaten to hold people's pay checks.  I mean nobody actually liked it there but you know they sucked it up.

Meanwhile where I work now there is an abuse hotline employees can call if they feel I guess "abused" or what not.  But it's like the stupidest shit people call about like they dont like somebody having open toe shoes.  Or someone didnt say hello to somebody.  But the culture in this environment can be gossipy/overdramatic/whiny, etc....   

5 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I think a lot of a job really depends on the culture.  Like that one job I had the owner would threaten to hold people's pay checks.  I mean nobody actually liked it there but you know they sucked it up.

I remember an assistant news director (before Bitcheroo) who liked to play a game called, "work more hours, get no OT".  People who were NOT salaried employees would be ordered to work extra work hours but not given earned OT with the excuse that the station was trying to save money.  Someone reported it to the labor review board and that nonsense stopped quick!  She was canned some time later.

5 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Meanwhile where I work now there is an abuse hotline employees can call if they feel I guess "abused" or what not.  But it's like the stupidest shit people call about like they dont like somebody having open toe shoes.  Or someone didnt say hello to somebody.  But the culture in this environment can be gossipy/overdramatic/whiny, etc....   

That's the uber snowflake world we're working in now.  To think my parents fought to keep me from being like this as a kid and to learn to take it on the chin, only to see those people catered to!  Seriously, open toe shoes??  

• Like 2

Seriously, open-toe shoes.  If you work in any kind of lab-type situation, or even are a student in a science lab, open-toed shoes will get you sent home to change shoes.  But in a “regular” workplace, it shouldn’t matter.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, magicdog said:

That's the uber snowflake world we're working in now.  To think my parents fought to keep me from being like this as a kid and to learn to take it on the chin, only to see those people catered to!  Seriously, open toe shoes??  

I don't think complaining about something, however trivial, is the same thing as being catered to.  Everyone has petty things that bother them and a hotline is a safe place to vent.  I've worked places where I wish there had been a hotline like that rather than having employees come bitching to me because someone moved their lunch to a different shelf in the fridge.  Not took their lunch, just shifted it within the fridge.  Sigh.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

employees come bitching to me because someone moved their lunch to a different shelf in the fridge.  Not took their lunch, just shifted it within the fridge.  Sigh.

^Why work from home shoud be universally adopted whenever possible, lol.

• Like 5

Apologies to reddit... but it's time for "Am I the Asshole?"

I work for a major grocery store. I'm looking for full time work after having worked part time my whole life (don't ask, it's a long, boring story). My manager asked me if I considered full time, and I said yes. He gave me a packet about the joys of 401k and all that jazz. It felt like a done deal at the time.

This is now, that was a year ago. 

I was never promoted, and please don't think I never asked about it. Apparently I wasn't full-time material in his eyes. I transferred to another store recently (again, long story, don't want to discuss it), and I've been the squeakiest wheel about wanting full time work. I ask what I can do to improve my job performance, anything I can do to get full time work, and I only get vaguely encouraging answers.

On the side, I've been applying for full time work I think I might be qualified for, but I'm concerned I might not fit the bill of what they want. I hate even discussing this, because I'm sure everyone is itching to lecture me on how whiny and entitled I am. 

But I beg to differ. Feedback on my job performances through the years have ranged from merely positive to downright glowing. When I go to work, I work. I don't play on my phone, endlessly gab with others, waste time, whatever. I do my job well and damn near break my back, so I earn every dollar on my paycheck. I have had 2 (2!) absences this year, and I haven't been late once (come to think of it, punctuality is a strong suit of mine). I keep a positive attitude and am never hostile to co-workers or customers. I follow the dress code, the rules, I am open to learning new things, and my supervisors constantly tell me how "awesome" I am. While I appreciate the compliments... I also don't. Warm fuzzies don't pay the bills, and sure as fuck won't keep me financially safe when I'm old. I need fucking money and benefits, not free sandwiches and smiles.

So, yeah, I'm a little frustrated that I'm having difficulty getting full time work. I really don't think I'm asking for more than I deserve... or am I?

Am I the asshole?

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I work for a major grocery store. I'm looking for full time work after having worked part time my whole life (don't ask, it's a long, boring story). My manager asked me if I considered full time, and I said yes. He gave me a packet about the joys of 401k and all that jazz. It felt like a done deal at the time.

I was never promoted, and please don't think I never asked about it. Apparently I wasn't full-time material in his eyes. I transferred to another store recently (again, long story, don't want to discuss it), and I've been the squeakiest wheel about wanting full time work. I ask what I can do to improve my job performance, anything I can do to get full time work, and I only get vaguely encouraging answers.

On the side, I've been applying for full time work I think I might be qualified for, but I'm concerned I might not fit the bill of what they want. I hate even discussing this, because I'm sure everyone is itching to lecture me on how whiny and entitled I am. 

But I beg to differ. Feedback on my job performances through the years have ranged from merely positive to downright glowing. When I go to work, I work. I don't play on my phone, endlessly gab with others, waste time, whatever. I do my job well and damn near break my back, so I earn every dollar on my paycheck. I have had 2 (2!) absences this year, and I haven't been late once (come to think of it, punctuality is a strong suit of mine). I keep a positive attitude and am never hostile to co-workers or customers. I follow the dress code, the rules, I am open to learning new things, and my supervisors constantly tell me how "awesome" I am. While I appreciate the compliments... I also don't. Warm fuzzies don't pay the bills, and sure as fuck won't keep me financially safe when I'm old. I need fucking money and benefits, not free sandwiches and smiles.

So, yeah, I'm a little frustrated that I'm having difficulty getting full time work. I really don't think I'm asking for more than I deserve... or am I?

IMO, you're not the assh*le, but the problem with the workplace environment now is HR and poor management.  I've seen it time and time again with my own frustrations.  I did just as you did - follow protocols, work hard, show initiative, only to be ignored when I want to move up.  All you can do is keep applying elsewhere and hope someone notices you. 

HR's are a nightmare as well, since many of them are staffed by bitter, petty people who delight in keeping people from getting what they need.  I fell like I'm in middle school sometimes (except I can't beat up the bullies this time lest I risk arrest) with all the nonsense.

Consider some alternative job search sites like this one or this one.  Of course there's also the usual like indeed and monster and perhaps linked in.  The only other thing I can recommend (because I'm dong this myself) is start your own business and work for yourself.  I'm tired of dealing with idiots anyway.

2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I don't think complaining about something, however trivial, is the same thing as being catered to.

Actually, it is.  At least that's what I see - management bending over backward for one disgruntled person who has nothing better to do than whine about trivial matters when there are serious issues.  It's like they feel the need to overcompensate because this person is upset over a triviality.  I hear about people getting upset over stuff they have no control over or have no business worrying about.  I've seen careers destroyed because someone was upset about someone's opinion (which should be kept personal anyway) the websites they browse or their method to get the job done (not illegal or wrong, just different than how the  complainer would handle it).  IMO, if you're whining about open toed shoes in the workplace (and you're not in a lab or construction site) or that someone's lunch was moved to a different shelf, there is a much bigger issue at work. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
3 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

employees come bitching to me because someone moved their lunch to a different shelf in the fridge.  Not took their lunch, just shifted it within the fridge.  Sigh.

^Why work from home shoud be universally adopted whenever possible, lol.

There are so many reasons why WFH is the superior way of working, every year when I take the exact same sexual harrassment training I think this is something that would be nearly eliminated if everyone was WFH.  

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Am I the asshole?

Not sure if this is your story or not, although I've never worked retail (except very briefly in college), it is very relatable.  

Edited by partofme

I spent 4+ years working in retail as a part-time recession hedge from '08 to '13, and let me tell you, avoiding full-time direct labor is their jam; their purpose for existing.  

Retailers (large, conglomerate ones anyway) are bottom feeders. It's not you @Wiendish Fitch, it's the business plan. Pay.no.benefits.ever!

That's it, that's the post.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

I spent 4+ years working in retail as a part-time recession hedge from '08 to '13, and let me tell you, avoiding full-time direct labor is their jam; their purpose for existing.  

Retailers (large, conglomerate ones anyway) are bottom feeders. It's not you @Wiendish Fitch, it's the business plan. Pay.no.benefits.ever!

That's it, that's the post.

Glad it's not me and that I'm looking elsewhere.

Fingers crossed that it ain't too late for me!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3

It's not you @Wiendish Fitch, it's the business plan. Pay.no.benefits.ever!

Yep, that's what I was going to say -- their business model is predicated on classifying nearly everyone as part time, to avoid paying benefits.  A loyal, hard-working employee like you is, sadly, who they're going to take most advantage of, not promote.  You're going to have to look elsewhere for full-time work, and then they'll act shocked, just shocked, if you're able to walk in there and quit.

Good luck in your search!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep, that's what I was going to say -- their business model is predicated on classifying nearly everyone as part time, to avoid paying benefits.  A loyal, hard-working employee like you is, sadly, who they're going to take most advantage of, not promote.  You're going to have to look elsewhere for full-time work, and then they'll act shocked, just shocked, if you're able to walk in there and quit.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks! I'll need it!

• Like 3
On 8/11/2023 at 6:01 AM, Browncoat said:

Seriously, open-toe shoes.  If you work in any kind of lab-type situation, or even are a student in a science lab, open-toed shoes will get you sent home to change shoes.  But in a “regular” workplace, it shouldn’t matter.

Yes, I worked in a lab with heavy equipment and chemicals. Open electronic equipment meant no jewelry and you wore sturdy shoes.  This meant less likelihood of dying. Other offices though, I don't get worrying too much about what someone wears, as long as you're covered appropriately.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 2
On 8/11/2023 at 9:58 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Am I the asshole?

Does your store have full-time positions in the scope of what you do that they are filling? Or are they like Wal-Mart and keep non-management at just under full-time hours so people don't qualify for company benefits (at some expense to the company) and instead, have to resort to receiving support in the form of government assistance?

Edited by theredhead77
On 8/12/2023 at 4:58 PM, partofme said:

I’ve only been seriously been looking for a new job for about 2 weeks but it’s seriously annoying how it’s all the same positions listed, nothing new.  

I don't know what kind of position you are looking for, but as someone who spent almost 4 decades in the employment industry (I was a technical recruiter), I can tell you that July/August are not the time to be looking for a new position if you want (a) lots of new jobs to apply for and (b) a swift response to your applications. This is vacation time and until after Labor Day, hiring managers find it difficult to assemble a full team for the interviewing process so they generally don't bother to do much other than maybe collect resumes. (Also true from Thanksgiving through the week after New Year's Day.)

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Some days I actually miss my old job at a small company.  Even though the owner was a stubborn SOB management there knew usually what everyone was working on.

Today at a large company I always call my job @The Shit Show as no one seems to know what anyone else is doing 

Finally things have taken a good turn for me.

Today, I had an interview for an advancement (fundraising) position at a local college, and the people conducting the screening interview said they would be back in touch next week once the hiring manager was back in town. Well, two hours later, they reached out to set up a second interview! So now I have that interview next week. This job is tied to my goals in that I would have a chance to make an impact and get some tangible results and long-term projects on my resume. The interviewers also said I will get a chance to use my writing and editing skills in the job so I’m excited for that. 

I also got a job offer today! The job is with a medical school run by a regional healthcare system and fits one of my career interests (instructional design). However, it would require a small pay cut if they can go to the top of the range, but the pay cut would only be $1 and change an hour from where I am now. It would be a hybrid workplace (three days office, two remote) but the PTO would be better than what my current job is offering. 

Both jobs would provide better employment opportunities and more stability, and most importantly I would not be working in a call center. Work has been really bad this week, and the problems have been enough to break me. My plan if it works out is to take the job offered to me today but still go through with next week’s interview to maximize my options. After all, the first job could get delayed or negotiations could fall through (the salary actually starting was $3 less an hour than what I make now!), and even if things do go smoothly I won’t be working there by next week anyway because of having to give notice. 

With any luck my call center days will be numbered! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 6

One of my daughters is plowing through in HR. She received and accepted an offer at a different company. As of this date last year she was making a bit over  half of what her salary will be at the new place. I’m very proud of her. 😁

• Like 11

So I wish I could say I got closer to a decision on accepting the offer (call it Job A) versus continuing to pursue the job I have a second interview for next week but still really want (Job B). I can’t get over a week to think about the offer and Job B can’t move up the second interview because the hiring manager is out of town. But decision time is looming and tomorrow is the day I am going to decide what to do. I ended up emailing B and asking what they anticipate the salary range being for the person offered the job. If it’s less than  what A was offering then I will accept A and cancel the interview with B.

If B is paying equal to or more than A I will turn down A and keep the interview with B. I don't want to drop out of the process there if the salary would be better plus the commute would be shorter to B. I realize I am making a gamble and in the end I could end up turning down A and not getting the offer from B, but at least I would still be employed too. There’s no good way to do this but I think I picked a good middle ground. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

So I wish I could say I got closer to a decision on accepting the offer (call it Job A) versus continuing to pursue the job I have a second interview for next week but still really want (Job B). I can’t get over a week to think about the offer and Job B can’t move up the second interview because the hiring manager is out of town. But decision time is looming and tomorrow is the day I am going to decide what to do. I ended up emailing B and asking what they anticipate the salary range being for the person offered the job. If it’s less than  what A was offering then I will accept A and cancel the interview with B.

If B is paying equal to or more than A I will turn down A and keep the interview with B. I don't want to drop out of the process there if the salary would be better plus the commute would be shorter to B. I realize I am making a gamble and in the end I could end up turning down A and not getting the offer from B, but at least I would still be employed too. There’s no good way to do this but I think I picked a good middle ground. 

I can't or won't tell you what to do but I had something happen like that.

Back in 2008 I was only working part time so was looking for full time work.  I got 2 interviews locked in at the same time.  I went on both interviews and took Job A because the offer was a little more and the hiring manger seemed to like me.  I never followed up with Job B.

As it turns out I really didn't like Job A and was only there a year.  In retrospect I wished I had at least followed up with Job B 

And as you can see as well this was a while ago 

Edited by BlueSkies
41 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I can't or won't tell you what to do but I had something happen like that.

Back in 2008 I was only working part time so was looking for full time work.  I got 2 interviews locked in at the same time.  I went on both interviews and took Job A because the offer was a little more and the hiring manger seemed to like me.  I never followed up with Job B.

As it turns out I really didn't like Job A and was only there a year.  In retrospect I wished I had at least followed up with Job B 

And as you can see as well this was a while ago 

Thanks for sharing your experience! Job B actually did get back in touch with me and let me know I am their top choice for the job so far! I think with that in mind, even though it’s not an offer from B, I am going to go back to A and explain the situation.

I just don’t feel confident that I can make a good decision right now to go with A and drop B altogether. B has more expensive benefits but a shorter commute and pays the salary I’m making now. No easy choice. A has more affordable benefits but I would need to take a small pay cut and commute at least 35 minutes three days a week. 

It’s a risk but at this point my temptation is to drop A and see out B. If a new “top choice” comes along and I don’t get either job, then I’ve learned a tough lesson and will kick myself for not taking Job A. Although for as much as work sucks right now, my boss does appreciate me (and I acknowledge he is not making a lot of the rules I don’t like; he even said he hates to be the bearer of news that isn’t his decision). 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1

It is 100% a terrible idea to tell a company that made you an offer you may have a better offer coming. There is a high possibility they'll revoke your offer.

It is 100% a good idea to tell the company you don't have an offer with that you received an offer with another company before they called you (even if that's a lie) and you understand the hiring manager is out but did want to let them know.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 7

I ended up getting extra time with the offer I have in hand, as the HR rep I’ve been working with is out of the office for the next couple of days anyway. The hiring manager said with that in mind he was OK with giving me extra time. 

I met with Job B again today and they want me to meet with the team in person next week on the same day I need to make my decision about Job A. So it’s literally going to come right down to the wire and I am super stressed, especially given that interviewing often requires missing work/being late/etc. which is tough in a job that really tracks attendance. I’ve been able to do most interviews on lunchtimes and days off but had to leave work early or come in late a couple times. Job B told me they would check my references before I met the team to expedite things, so they still seem serious about me. Otherwise, if they don’t hire me it would be pretty upsetting. 

• Hugs 1
On 8/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Am I the asshole?

You are definitely NOT being an asshole. But sadly, you story is all too common in the workplace, especially retail. I worked with someone who got a raise just because she was expecting a baby, and I was denied a raise even though I helped increase sales and profits, and my staff preferred having me as a manager. I just can't make sense of how hard working, industrious people with a decent attitude and who have talents and skills get screwed over in the workplace.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
On 8/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I met with Job B again today and they want me to meet with the team in person next week on the same day I need to make my decision about Job A.

You accept Job A, and if Job B comes back with a better offer, you tell Job A that you had a change in your situation and won't be taking it after all.

• Like 8

So last night I decided I am not going to take Job A’s offer, even if Job B does not offer me anything. The big reasons for rejecting A are:

-It’s a hybrid arrangement (3 days on site, two remote). I am not against working in person but the commute is 35 minutes each way on the highway, presuming no accidents or constructions. Since gas is nearly $4 a gallon here and the job would pay less than what I’m currently making (even the top of the range is still less), I couldn’t get fully behind the idea of having to spend more in gas money while taking a pay cut. 

-They offered me the job after one 20-minute interview and I felt like I couldn’t get a good sense of whether I wanted to really work there or clicked with the team. Their process originally did include a second stage with leadership, but I’m worried about why they wanted to hire me so fast. I guess there is some good in having multiple stages to the process even if some employers overdo it. Whereas at least with Job B I will get to meet the rest of the team on Tuesday. 

-I don’t ultimately want to leave where I am now for an offer that’s just OK or “meh.” I want to feel like I’m making the best leap possible. My current job does at least have affordable benefits and offers some other non-monetary perks to get through the difficult days and weeks.

If Job B makes me the offer I will accept it. If they don’t, then I’ve been taking a break from my job search due to how stressful work is at the moment so I can always jump back in for one more push before the end of the year.

• Like 4

So officially rejected the offer yesterday. I don’t regret it at the moment although we will see how I’ll feel if Top Job rejects me. Top Job got a hold of two of my three references yesterday and said the conversations went well, and they are going to try and get a hold of the third person and an alternative reference if the third reference continues to not answer. (I did reach out to him last night so hopefully a nudge helps.) 

I also went in to meet the team today and felt super comfortable with them. So I am hoping barring a last minute disaster that I get the offer. If I don’t then…like I said we’ll see if the regret kicks in about Declined Job. But ultimately I couldn’t take a position where I didn’t feel fully comfortable and would need to take a pay cut also but need to invest in work clothes and more gas money. Just wouldn’t be feasible for my situation. 

• Like 4

I had an interview for a temp job this past Monday. I thought I would know if the assignment was mine by yesterday morning, but I haven't hear anything. I left VMs for the two people who helped me get the interview, and even emailed one of them, but I haven't heard back. I don't care if it's yay or nay, but please don't leave me hanging. 

• Hugs 5
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I had an interview for a temp job this past Monday. I thought I would know if the assignment was mine by yesterday morning, but I haven't hear anything. I left VMs for the two people who helped me get the interview, and even emailed one of them, but I haven't heard back. I don't care if it's yay or nay, but please don't leave me hanging. 

I feel this. The job I’ve been interviewing for (I’m done with my interviews now) originally said they could have a decision for me yesterday, but then they said they would be unable to come to a decision on their original timeline and didn’t give me another idea of when I might hear from them. Two of my references checked out fine and the hiring manager apparently got good feedback from the team about me (or maybe it was just generic “we enjoyed meeting you” feedback that means nothing) but I’m freaking out now because I’m wondering if I said something wrong or did something stupid in the interview that caused them to pull back or if something else just happened internally that threw them off and has nothing to do with me. 

I’m scared of getting ghosted or being rejected when I feel so close especially since I’ve read some other job advice subreddits where people say “if you didn’t hear anything in 1-2 days you didn’t get the job.” (And maybe that’s true in some fields but in places I’ve worked recently, I’ve gotten offers anywhere from three working days to nearly three weeks after my interview so I don’t even believe there’s a universal truth.) 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1

Job subreddits did nothing for my anxiety. You killed your Reddit if I recall correctly? If that's correct, it's probably best to stay out of those forums even if you're just reading.  I had my last interview (out of 5) in January and I didn't get an offer until March. They decided to interview more people, then internal processes, then other things, then finally, an offer.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1

I did indeed nuke my Reddit. I guess I am just stressed out because everything seemed to be going well in the process and no red flags before they told me they needed to hold off on a decision. 

I hope I don’t feel like an idiot later for turning down the other offer I got, even though it had factors that made me not feel very in love with it. I guess I didn’t want to settle for a “meh” offer now that I’m employed and can be more selective than I could when I was out of work. If this first choice job doesn’t work out I guess I will wish I had just sucked it up and taken the blah offer. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I did indeed nuke my Reddit. I guess I am just stressed out because everything seemed to be going well in the process and no red flags before they told me they needed to hold off on a decision. 

I hope I don’t feel like an idiot later for turning down the other offer I got, even though it had factors that made me not feel very in love with it. I guess I didn’t want to settle for a “meh” offer now that I’m employed and can be more selective than I could when I was out of work. If this first choice job doesn’t work out I guess I will wish I had just sucked it up and taken the blah offer. 

Relax. Breath. You should not beat yourself up in the future for making a decision that you carefully considered and as you said, was a "meh" at best. And! you don't want to do much more job hopping so best to find a position you plan to remain in for the foreseeable future. At this point you can't control what is going on with that job you actually want, so try to focus on other stuff for the moment. Take a walk! Play with a puppy or kitten! Eat something delicious! Find gratitude for the blessings you already enjoy! All will be well and all will be well.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Relax. Breath. You should not beat yourself up in the future for making a decision that you carefully considered and as you said, was a "meh" at best. And! you don't want to do much more job hopping so best to find a position you plan to remain in for the foreseeable future. At this point you can't control what is going on with that job you actually want, so try to focus on other stuff for the moment. Take a walk! Play with a puppy or kitten! Eat something delicious! Find gratitude for the blessings you already enjoy! All will be well and all will be well.

They did say they would keep me informed so hopefully I didn’t do anything too badly in the last interview that made them change their minds. (Since I know that could just be polite speak and they plan to actually ghost me or something.)

But you’re right. I am going away for the day tomorrow so I can at least focus on that. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Okay, I still haven't heard back about the temp job, so I guess I didn't get it. But why wouldn't I get some feedback? This agency is pretty good about giving me feedback quite promptly, so I don't know what gives. I'll probably give them a call some time next week to find out what the deal is. 

I'm probably going to get more serious about finding a permanent job after Labor Day, but I would like to get some type of work even if it's temporary.

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Okay, I still haven't heard back about the temp job, so I guess I didn't get it. But why wouldn't I get some feedback? This agency is pretty good about giving me feedback quite promptly, so I don't know what gives. I'll probably give them a call some time next week to find out what the deal is. 

Probably because it's the last week before the Labor Day holiday? And August seems to be the month when everyone is on vacation. I know a lot of the folks at my firm have been out the past two weeks and won't be back until after Labor Day. I don't mean to be a downer. Just speculating on the reason for the radio silence if you will.

As @theredhead77 had stated her experience, for me? My first interview was at the end of June, and I was lucky enough to have follow-up interviews during the first week of July. But I didn't get the offer until the first week of August. And this was after applying, applying, interviewing, and being rejected, for nearly two years. I was lucky enough that I had a temp/contract job that was supposed to be two weeks, which turned into one year exactly, before the new team decided to shift stuff, so it ended for me; but I let my agency know I was willing to do anything and everything just so I was working.

So hang in there. And I promise I don't mean to come off as if this is positive toxicity. Just sharing my experience.

Oh, and as for venting for me? We had a practice group meeting a couple weeks ago and YUCK! Narcissistic Bully's FACE was smack in the middle of my screen! I wish her face had been hidden as with a lot of the others. I had hoped I'd seen the last of her face.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2

Looks like we’re united here as I still have not received word from the job I’m hoping to get either. I’m actually debating on whether to send a follow-up email this week or just wait until after Labor Day. (Today is the fifth business day since the interview.) I have gone back to applying and starting to learn new skills in the meantime, though. Plus my current job has been offering OT so I am getting some extra money where I can. Never hurts.

For what it’s worth the job I want did not give me a timeline of when I could expect to hear from them. So I’m leaning towards following up tomorrow. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 3

Now, for my umpteenth rant about my immediate supervisor who does not listen to a thing I or my edit partner tell him!

He comes into work right as we're starting to get a last minute edit rush.  He says he got the word from "up high" about our shift that there's too much video looping.  We both explained to him that there is a reason why this may happen:  because there is limited video to begin with!

You see there's video that our photogs film  (in house) and stuff that comes from FOX (we're an affiliate) or CNN (we have access to national stories they run).  Now, whatever the big networks send us, that's all we have.  maybe it's a package that we "bust" (break down into a simple VO or a SOT/SOTVO).  We have to edit based on script as close as possible, but sometimes, talky anchors do't know how to shut up and before you know it, the video we initially cut is too short and we have to cut it longer (also orders from "on high").  That means it's inevitable that some of the same video will be see onscreen again.  

If the video is raw video our people shot, we may have more leeway, but there are still only so many useable shots.  For example, our local little league team went to the LLWS, unfortunately they lost and came back home a few days ago.  I was given a source for the raw video of their return to the airport to greet their families.  I used every useable shot possible (many shots were pointed at the floor, shaky cam, etc.) but I still had to loop it after about 30 sec or so of footage.  Since this was a story the anchors would drone on about, we hat to cut at least a minute - preferably a minute 30 seconds.  I explain this to supervisor who apparently has all the answers:

"Just let the producers know and let them decide to continue as is."  

Really?  My partner and I do NOT have time to constantly question every darn story in the rundown.  Sure we contact the producer when there are questions or problems of one kind or another but this is insane!  We get quick instruction in the scripts what to do and do it.  Sometimes we have no choice but to use what is available to us.  

What does supervisor say?  THE SAME THING!  It's like he's really not listening!  He's just repeating what someone else said (who is NOT in our edit bays dealing with our issues and they never even bothered to invite us to meetings and have us tell them straight up what we have to do to get through the day).  

Sometimes I think he wants us to rage quit or something.  

• Hugs 3
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Looks like we’re united here as I still have not received word from the job I’m hoping to get either. I’m actually debating on whether to send a follow-up email this week or just wait until after Labor Day. (Today is the fifth business day since the interview.) I have gone back to applying and starting to learn new skills in the meantime, though. Plus my current job has been offering OT so I am getting some extra money where I can. Never hurts.

For what it’s worth the job I want did not give me a timeline of when I could expect to hear from them. So I’m leaning towards following up tomorrow. 

If you have not done so already, I would definitely send a message indicating your strong interest in the job and company, and come up with one concrete reason why you would be an asset to this particular team/company. My husband interviewed for his first professional position and because he is so low key as a person they thought he wasn't seriously interested - after he had not heard back two weeks after the interview, he sent a message indicating interest, and the company immediately responded positively and ultimately hired him. (From my professional experience in the HR world, one should *always* send a thank you for the interview to the hiring manager and an indication of interest in the position if you are...interested, that is.)

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
38 minutes ago, isalicat said:

From my professional experience in the HR world, one should *always* send a thank you for the interview to the hiring manager and an indication of interest in the position if you are...interested, that is.

This is what I did. A week after interviewing with the person who would be my supervisor (co-supervisor wasn’t available to do the interview), the paralegal director, the manager of the practice group, and the team of attorneys, I wrote them all a hand written thank you note, thanking them for taking the time to meet with me, and how I would be an asset to the firm and group. 

I remember asking for advice from the people here, and @theredhead77 was especially helpful.

She and others here kept me from panicking during the conflicts check. 

• Like 6
48 minutes ago, isalicat said:

From my professional experience in the HR world, one should *always* send a thank you for the interview

It boggles my mind how many candidates fail to do this.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

If you have not done so already, I would definitely send a message indicating your strong interest in the job and company, and come up with one concrete reason why you would be an asset to this particular team/company. My husband interviewed for his first professional position and because he is so low key as a person they thought he wasn't seriously interested - after he had not heard back two weeks after the interview, he sent a message indicating interest, and the company immediately responded positively and ultimately hired him. (From my professional experience in the HR world, one should *always* send a thank you for the interview to the hiring manager and an indication of interest in the position if you are...interested, that is.)

Thanks for the tip. I decided I will send my follow-up on my lunch break tomorrow (if no news has come before then, of course). Hopefully I am still in the running! The job is in higher ed, which I’ve heard tends to move slower, but I decided a follow-up is worth the try. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Bastet said:
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

From my professional experience in the HR world, one should *always* send a thank you for the interview

It boggles my mind how many candidates fail to do this.

I read this article earlier today that claims that no one ever has benefited from sending a thank you letter   🤷‍♀️

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/7-unspoken-job-interview-rules-that-everyone-needs-to-know-goog_l_64e3c2b2e4b0a04c2ed79024

• Like 1
18 hours ago, partofme said:

I read this article earlier today that claims that no one ever has benefited from sending a thank you letter   🤷‍♀️

It's definitely a factor when I hire someone; sending one or not sending one has never been the deciding factor for me, but it's a point in the pro column for those who do and in the con for those who don't.  (If I was ever down to two candidates I felt equally about in every other way, the one who didn't send a thank-you note would become my second choice, and I'd offer the job to the note sender first, but it would have to be a close situation like that.)

Which is in line what the article says; not that no one has ever benefited at all from sending one (they note it may be expected, or at least desired, depending on the industry), just that it's highly unlikely to be the thing the hiring decision is based on. 

Although, while I don't remember who it is, I believe there's someone here on this forum who was actually told their thank-you note is what pushed them into the number one slot.

It may be something that's becoming less of a pro/con as more younger people are the ones doing the hiring. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4