Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I know that I’m just too old now.  Hiring/ personnel is now called Talent Acquisition?  To me talent should be reserved for entertainment positions. How did this get started. 

1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

It is. My mom and I were watching the movie The Intern a while ago (it’s a fun movie BTW) and she commented on it as well. No idea why the name changed though. 

Haha - early in my career the "personnel" department became "human resources".  My reaction was not positive - humans are just resources now?!?!  Like pens and legal pads?  I suppose I got used to it.  Sort of.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

One more thing to consider about going to law school is the recent breakthroughs in AI. GPT-4, a large language model released earlier this year, has passed the bar exam. In a few years those models will be even more sophisticated. I'm not saying that they will completely replace lawyers, but they'll automate or accelerate many tasks that lawyers bill for. So for those taking out large loans to go to law school now, there's a greater risk that the investment won't pay off.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Still no luck on the job hunt. 😢I guess I need to work harder on my resume or write better cover letters. 

In the meantime, I took a career assessment my counselor sent me. The jobs suggested to me were honestly jobs/fields I had already been considering (lawyer, event planner, health data manager, college student affairs, etc.) so it’s good to know I am somewhat on the right track. I’m trying to decide if it would be better for my future to make a total career overhaul and do something like law school or health information management that would bring better job opportunities and salaries (although with HIM I would be starting from scratch because my original degree is in communications) or if I should lean more towards something that would make use of my customer service background but get me out of the call center. I more enjoy seeing people face to face and knowing their names, getting to know them if I see them regularly, versus waiting on the phone to ring. There is an opening for a financial aid counselor at a college that I’m going to apply to. Law would also be a natural transition since I have worked in two firms and my current job is somewhat related to the field.

It’s a tough choice but I’m going to try and take my time and think about it. Although I did laugh that one of my suggested careers was counseling! You all know I can barely keep my own life together and yet it’s being suggested that I help others with their problems.  

I don’t recommend law school.  I went at 21 right out of college and immediately hated it, I considered dropping out but everyone I knew advised against it.  I wish I had listened to my gut and dropped out.  If I could do it again I would definitely not go to law school and not take out student loans.  

Still no luck on the job hunt. 😢I guess I need to work harder on my resume or write better cover letters. 

In the meantime, I took a career assessment my counselor sent me. The jobs suggested to me were honestly jobs/fields I had already been considering (lawyer, event planner, health data manager, college student affairs, etc.) so it’s good to know I am somewhat on the right track. I’m trying to decide if it would be better for my future to make a total career overhaul and do something like law school or health information management that would bring better job opportunities and salaries (although with HIM I would be starting from scratch because my original degree is in communications) or if I should lean more towards something that would make use of my customer service background but get me out of the call center. I more enjoy seeing people face to face and knowing their names, getting to know them if I see them regularly, versus waiting on the phone to ring. There is an opening for a financial aid counselor at a college that I’m going to apply to. Law would also be a natural transition since I have worked in two firms and my current job is somewhat related to the field.

It’s a tough choice but I’m going to try and take my time and think about it. Although I did laugh that one of my suggested careers was counseling! You all know I can barely keep my own life together and yet it’s being suggested that I help others with their problems.  

I don’t recommend law school.  I went at 21 right out of college and immediately hated it, I considered dropping out but everyone I knew advised against it.  I wish I had listened to my gut and dropped out.  If I could do it again I would definitely not go to law school and not take out student loans.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a lot to think about and it sounds as if you all have told good cautionary tales. The massive debt load was a drawback I had in my “cons” list when journaling about this decision. (Not to mention how expensive it is to even apply!) I could always hope another firm hires me someday either in recruiting if they’re big enough for that or I could get a paralegal certificate at a much lower cost. 

I will keep thinking of careers I could train for while still working or things I can switch to with less expensive or no schooling at all. My ultimate goal is to be more marketable than I am now or at minimum, just get into a job that’s a better fit for me. (Although there’s not many people who are great at call centers and enjoy them, and also, I should have never majored in communications either but what did I know at 18?) 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have a lot to think about and it sounds as if you all have told good cautionary tales. The massive debt load was a drawback I had in my “cons” list when journaling about this decision. (Not to mention how expensive it is to even apply!) I could always hope another firm hires me someday either in recruiting if they’re big enough for that or I could get a paralegal certificate at a much lower cost. 

I will keep thinking of careers I could train for while still working or things I can switch to with less expensive or no schooling at all. My ultimate goal is to be more marketable than I am now or at minimum, just get into a job that’s a better fit for me. (Although there’s not many people who are great at call centers and enjoy them, and also, I should have never majored in communications either but what did I know at 18?) 

I know it's not helpful to your immediate situation, but recruiting *will* pick up again once the market recovers, so if that's what you're really passionate about, you'll be able to get back into it. And if that is what you want, you could use this time to take some classes and/or certifications that will make you a more desirable candidate once hiring picks up again.

• Like 4

There’s really no certifications for recruiting that are needed to get a job. Honestly with only four months experience I still won’t have much of an edge over recruiters, or even coordinators (which I was) who have the years of experience employers desire. I will still apply, though. My preference in the meantime is to change to something that’s more marketable and provides better salary and career prospects. 

• Like 1

@Cloud9Shopper I was wondering if you’re concentrating on a specific area when looking to be hired as a recruiter. Right now, in my experience, healthcare is amping up their recruiting, therefore they are hiring recruiters, especially nursing homes, personal care, skilled nursing, hospitals, home care,  etc..

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

It was the happiest I'd ever been, though, because it was a great fit for me and I was on my way to finally doing what I was most passionate about. 

I loved law school, but for a very different reason.  Now, this was back when tuition and fees at my top-tier school were about $300/semester.  They got wise and doubled it right after I got out, and it's of course been going up ever since then.  But talk about the deal of the century.  Since it was a prestigious school, some people were going to get judicial clerkships or very well-paying jobs and there was competition to be among them, but there was no air of desperation due to crippling costs for the average Joes.

I had zero problem adjusting to the notion that a 75 was a decent grade, an 80 was an honor grade, and only one or two people in a class of 100 would be in the low 90s.  I also had zero problem understanding and accepting that I wasn't going to be at the top of the class, and if that's what I wanted I would have gone to a different cheap in-state-tuition school where the competition wouldn't be as fierce. 

I'm eternally grateful I didn't do that because I learned that my favorite thing in the world is hanging out with really smart people in a common situation with some time to kill.  We were obviously there voluntarily, and paying (a little) for the privilege, but there was still some "fighting the man" going on, grousing about whatever oppression we were feeling at the hands of the law school professors and administration.  And it was like a small town (~1500 students), with gossip and romance and intrigue.  And the ability to take a nap on a couch in the library and put a piece of paper on you that says, "Please wake me up at 2:45" and somebody would.

I enjoyed learning to think like a lawyer (although it's antithetical to thinking like an internet denizen and making life kind of miserable for me these days), and sometimes the coursework was interesting.  But the best part was the smart people I was around, many of whom were also very funny. 

I bet that sort of experience wouldn't even be possible any more because of the pressure of getting a job at all, never mind one that will pay enough to cover the cost.  That's a shame because with the right group of people, law school can do a scarily effective job of molding your brain AND be a fun place.

• Like 9
19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I didn't think some of them were all that unreasonable.  Like the one that doesn't allow personal phone use while at work.  I remember when people first started having cell phones and would get calls at work on them.  Nothing screamed "this is a personal call" louder than a cell phone ringing.

You would hate my office.  I work in infrastructure services and a lot of the employees here work out in the field, so they're using their cell phones all the time.  A lot of my personal calls come through on the office phone.  Work doesn't mind if I have the odd personal call, as long as my work is getting done and I'm not neglecting people.  

20 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Why isn't "fries and a drink?" the first thing to come out of their mouths when the customer orders?  Instead, all too often they'll say, "Anything else?" or just look at me.  I just don't understand why someone wouldn't do it.  The requirement is clear and unambiguous and easily satisfied, but there are still employees who don't comply.  If I had that job I'd say "fries and a drink?" like I had Tourette Syndrome. 

I just can't imagine being their manager and saying for the umpteenth time, "Every time a person orders, offer them fries and a drink."  And then getting a mystery shop report that says they didn't do it.

Eh, I used to work in retail and we were supposed to upsell the store credit card and ask people to donate to certain charities.  I stopped doing this because the amount of verbal abuse we would get from the customers was unreal, and when you're only making minimum wage you stop caring.  I didn't care if I failed a mystery shop, I wouldn't have gotten anything extra if I had aced one.  If it's such a big deal to the managers, they can do it.  If management wants their employees to start performing better, they have to start treating them better, and paying them more.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6
6 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Upselling the store cards and the worthless warranties is the worst abuse of the employees--and the customers.  It's a vile practice. 

No doubt.  I occasionally read the reddit forum for Walgreens employees, and they hate having to do it.  So whenever they ask me I just say "Oh, no thanks" and carry on. 

But that's nothing like suggesting fries and a drink with a hamburger, and in fact doing that might make the ordering process go quicker, so the damn customer doesn't stand there staring at the menu board going, "Ummmmm."  I realized a long time ago that I could NEVER be a waitress because nothing drives me crazier than someone dithering when ordering. 

I actually enjoy the challenge of making it as easy on the employee as possible.  Like at Chipotle, I time when I state each ingredient, staying ahead just enough that they ever pause but they don't get behind and have to ask me to repeat, either.  I wonder if they even notice.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Like at Chipotle, I time when I state each ingredient, staying ahead just enough that they ever pause but they don't get behind and have to ask me to repeat, either.  I wonder if they even notice.

The cashiers at my local market do.  I bring reusable mesh produce bags for the things I want to put in a bag (much I leave loose), and with things priced per piece/bunch rather than by weight, I will combine them.  So when the cashier gets to the bags, I will say, for example, "That has one mint, one cilantro, two basil, and three scallions" rather than making them eyeball it.  But I say it at a pace they can easily keep up with retrieving the codes from their brain and keying them in (I am forever impressed with all the codes these folks have memorized!) rather than blurting them all out in a rush.  Pretty much every time there's been a new person, they've thanked me.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

(I am forever impressed with all the codes these folks have memorized!)

My daughter worked at Farm Boy (I think exclusive to Ontario - mainly fruit and veggies type place) anyway they had to as part of their minimum wage job, memorize all the codes for these products.  Which got changed regularly BTW si it wasn't like once memorized you were good to go.  It was actually a nice place to work, no upselling, but that memorizing business would have cost me the job that's for sure!

• Like 4
11 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But that's nothing like suggesting fries and a drink with a hamburger, and in fact doing that might make the ordering process go quicker, so the damn customer doesn't stand there staring at the menu board going, "Ummmmm."  I realized a long time ago that I could NEVER be a waitress because nothing drives me crazier than someone dithering when ordering. 

Heh. At work, if I see some people from the legal department slightly ahead of me heading for the café, I hustle to get in front of them on line. It's the same damn choices at the sandwich station that it's been for ten years. Why on earth are you waiting for the staff to ask you "Would you like cheese? Mustard? Mayo? Any lettuce or tomato?" For the love of god, you're not negotiating your sandwich. Just tell them what you want in one sentence.

Having said that, I did work that side of the counter when I was a teenager, and even at that age, I considered it part of job to help the "ummmm" crowd to get better at ordering. I mean, if this is my job, I might as well try to improve the things that I think could use improvement.

• LOL 6

You have not lived until you have worked at a roadside ice cream stand; hot, sticky, minimum wage hell.  "I'd like an ice cream".  We had 20+ flavours, you would think they could specify which one, not to mention the size.  And don't get me started on parents who would read the entire list of flavours to their toddler and wait for them to pick one, while the line behind them snaked down the block. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Quof said:

You have not lived until you have worked at a roadside ice cream stand; hot, sticky, minimum wage hell.  "I'd like an ice cream".  We had 20+ flavours, you would think they could specify which one, not to mention the size.  And don't get me started on parents who would read the entire list of flavours to their toddler and wait for them to pick one, while the line behind them snaked down the block. 

I worked at a Baskin Robbins in college. Similar experience especially because the owner hated running the AC.

These days, at our in house coffee bar I'm guilty of not stating what size drink I want and if I want it hot or iced. Love our barista. I used to run a coffee cart (also during college). She just gives me a look and gives me a large and iced version. 🤣

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh. At work, if I see some people from the legal department slightly ahead of me heading for the café, I hustle to get in front of them on line. It's the same damn choices at the sandwich station that it's been for ten years. Why on earth are you waiting for the staff to ask you "Would you like cheese? Mustard? Mayo? Any lettuce or tomato?" For the love of god, you're not negotiating your sandwich. Just tell them what you want in one sentence.

So grateful that our cafeteria is kiosk ordering with an online ordering option. Save us from ourselves!

• Like 3

But a pox on those barristas who say, when I order a small "we only have medium and large."  By definition, the smallest size you offer is a "small". 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 8
19 minutes ago, Quof said:

But a pox on those barristas who say, when I order a small "we only have medium and large."  By definition, the smallest size you offer is a "small". 

LOL! 

In my head, though, I can easily see a customer complaining that they were charged for a medium when they asked for a small...

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

If they offer kids’ hot chocolate, ask for a coffee in a kid-sized cup?  Also, do they have extra small? 

My sister got an email this morning saying that all employees copied to that email need to be in the office to attend a mandatory meeting later this week.  The last time this happened to her it was to learn that the division she worked for had been cut.  Naturally she is not assuming this upcoming meeting is going to be a "you guys rock - bonuses all round!".  She'll know soon enough of course but in the meantime I am brainstorming some possible explanations for this that don't involve job loss.  How sad it is that this is the first explanation that comes to mind?  And, frankly, probably the most likely.

• Hugs 10

The worst job I had at McDonald's was not the cashier position.  It was the French fry station.  You get covered in grease at the end of the day.  I didn't mind dealing with the customers, although some were difficult. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
(edited)
On 5/21/2023 at 10:37 AM, Bookworm 1979 said:

Eh, I used to work in retail and we were supposed to upsell the store credit card and ask people to donate to certain charities.  I stopped doing this because the amount of verbal abuse we would get from the customers was unreal, and when you're only making minimum wage you stop caring.  I didn't care if I failed a mystery shop, I wouldn't have gotten anything extra if I had aced one.  If it's such a big deal to the managers, they can do it.  If management wants their employees to start performing better, they have to start treating them better, and paying them more.

My mom worked retail, too, and her bosses constantly pushed her and other employees to hound customers to get these credit cards for the store. My mom always pushed back against that, because a) the area we lived in, a lot of people already had plenty of credit cards, they didn't really need another, and b) like you note, customers don't like being hounded about stuff like that. She'd mention the offer when helping a customer, sure, but if they said no, then that was that. She left it at that. 

And yet her bosses would constantly continue to keep pressing her about the cards anyway. She got very frustrated with that. 

7 hours ago, Quof said:

My equivalent of that was when I was working at the bookstore here in town. I lost count of the amount of times I would have customers coming in and saying things like, "Yeah, I'm looking for a book. I don't know the author or the title, but I think it had something to do with WW2."

Thanks, that narrows it down. 

And YES to the stuff with the kids. Again, similar thing at the bookstore, except in my case, the parents would give their kids the change and have them hand it over, and of course the kids have the change so they're either playing with it or slowly putting it up on the counter, and there's other customers waiting... 

My sister worked at Burger King when she was younger, and she had one customer one time who took the whole "Have it your way" slogan WAY too seriously/literally. Like, to the point where he got a copy of something with the slogan and tried to explain to her exactly what it meant, and tried to get super specific with his order, like this was a gourmet restaurant or something. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
Just now, Annber03 said:

My equivalent of that was when I was working at the bookstore here in town. Customer comes in and is like, "Yeah, I'm looking for a book. I don't know the author or the title, but I think it had something to do with WW2."

library-memes-ostrich-5c112cdfc9e77c0001cd4899.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 15
10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My equivalent of that was when I was working at the bookstore here in town. I lost count of the amount of times I would have customers coming in and saying things like, "Yeah, I'm looking for a book. I don't know the author or the title, but I think it had something to do with WW2."

I had something similar when I worked at a video store (remember those?).  A customer came in and asked for "that movie with the Black guy in it."  

• LOL 15
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had something similar when I worked at a video store (remember those?).

Yeah, I worked in one as a teenager, and had to deal with "that movie with the guy who's in those other movies with the blonde lady" type requests all the time.  I did like the customers who acknowledged the absurdity up front ("I know this is a long shot, but I cannot remember the title or the actor, just that [random tidbit or two]"), because it could be fun trying to solve the mystery.

• Like 10
On 5/21/2023 at 4:55 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

There’s really no certifications for recruiting that are needed to get a job. Honestly with only four months experience I still won’t have much of an edge over recruiters, or even coordinators (which I was) who have the years of experience employers desire. I will still apply, though. My preference in the meantime is to change to something that’s more marketable and provides better salary and career prospects. 

If you haven't already, check out USAJobs.  The federal government is hiring a lot of people, and a lot of those jobs are in HR.  It doesn't cost anything to send in your resume.  Many jobs are being offered as remote work these days.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The worst job I had at McDonald's was not the cashier position.  It was the French fry station.  You get covered in grease at the end of the day.  I didn't mind dealing with the customers, although some were difficult. 

My Mom worked at McDonald's in the 70's and got in trouble more than once for stuffing the fry containers to their brim. Her line would be extra long due to that sometimes. She worked there before her breast reduction which I mention for a reason. Her breasts had gotten to an I cup naturally and the manager would purposely bump into her so he could try to cop a feel. He wouldn't stop even after she told him to more than once so she quit.

• Sad 9
3 hours ago, Bethany said:

My sister got an email this morning saying that all employees copied to that email need to be in the office to attend a mandatory meeting later this week.  The last time this happened to her it was to learn that the division she worked for had been cut.  Naturally she is not assuming this upcoming meeting is going to be a "you guys rock - bonuses all round!".  She'll know soon enough of course but in the meantime I am brainstorming some possible explanations for this that don't involve job loss.  How sad it is that this is the first explanation that comes to mind?  And, frankly, probably the most likely.

I don't know if it's the case in all industries, but in mine, the meeting to announce layoffs is usually announced on the same day that it takes place, so it's possible that this meeting isn't about a layoff. It could be about something else unpleasant, like forced RTO (if applicable), no bonus payouts, etc. It could also be a major change in leadership, like a C-level exec leaving or a merger with another company. (The latter is likely to result in layoffs, but usually not immediately.)

Either way, fingers crossed for your sister!

• Like 4
On 5/21/2023 at 5:22 AM, Browncoat said:

Check at your local community college for paralegal training.  They may offer night or virtual classes, if you're interested in that.  

Being a paralegal is one of the worst long term career prospects as that function will be able to be entirely replaced by AI in the near term future. My son is a legal assistant/IT specialist at a large law firm and does everything a paralegal does without any special certification (trained on the job). If you are under 50, find a career path going forward that values a quality that can't be done by a bot. People are too expensive as employees to be kept if they can be replaced by something digital.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, isalicat said:

If you are under 50, find a career path going forward that values a quality that can't be done by a bot.

I'm pretty certain AI will affect every knowledge-based job within a decade, so my advice is to learn how to use it to become more productive. The early adopters are more likely to stay employable than folks who see it as a threat and refuse to use it. Read up on prompt engineering - it doesn't require writing code, so it can be self-taught and applied very quickly.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
Just now, theredhead77 said:

ChatGPT is only as good as the experts feeding the input AND reviewing the output.

This cannot be overstated. All that a large language model like ChatGPT is trained to do is to predict the most likely next word in a sequence.* So it's entirely dependent on the quality of the prompts. In machine learning we've had a saying for a long time that "garbage in equals garbage out." That used to refer to the quality of training data - i.e. poor quality data creates poorly performing models - but it now applies to LLM prompting as well.

*A public-facing model also has guardrails in place in order to avoid generating dangerous or offensive language, but that's a fine-tuning step and not part of the pre-training.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

ChatGPT is only as good as the experts feeding the input AND reviewing the output.

I’m LOL-ing fat this.  I tried ChatGPT-ing myself and got nothing.  Asked it if I was a writer, and the result was outdated info about me blogging.  Probably got it from some bio of me floating around the internet after a press release went out. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’m LOL-ing fat this.  I tried ChatGPT-ing myself and got nothing.  Asked it if I was a writer, and the result was outdated info about me blogging.  Probably got it from some bio of me floating around the internet after a press release went out. 

It's a statistical model, so it "knows" more about people who have been written about a lot. It's also likely that OpenAI intentionally took out any PII of non-famous people from their training data in order to steer clear of privacy concerns.

And also, if ChatGPT hasn't already told you, it's only trained on data up to late 2021 (I think) so it's not aware of things that have happened since then, unless you use an advanced plugin to have it search the web for real time information.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It's a statistical model, so it "knows" more about people who have been written about a lot. It's also likely that OpenAI intentionally took out any PII of non-famous people from their training data in order to steer clear of privacy concerns.

And also, if ChatGPT hasn't already told you, it's only trained on data up to late 2021 (I think) so it's not aware of things that have happened since then, unless you use an advanced plugin to have it search the web for real time information.

Ahhh, but it won’t recognize me by name alone.  So “who is PRgal” doesn’t work while “Is PRgal a writer?” does. 

Edited by PRgal
(edited)
42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

My response was to the discussion about AI replacing jobs.

27 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Ahhh, but it won’t recognize me by name alone.  So “who is PRgal” doesn’t work while “Is PRgal a writer?” does. 

But you make another point: AI is only as good as the data it has access to and the algorithms it is programmed to use.

ChatGPT isn't a self-aware Cylon or T-unit. (thank goodness!)

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
40 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Yes, providing more context in your prompt usually leads to a better answer.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, isalicat said:

Being a paralegal is one of the worst long term career prospects as that function will be able to be entirely replaced by AI in the near term future. My son is a legal assistant/IT specialist at a large law firm and does everything a paralegal does without any special certification (trained on the job). If you are under 50, find a career path going forward that values a quality that can't be done by a bot. People are too expensive as employees to be kept if they can be replaced by something digital.

I'm a lawyer.  The term paralegal has a lot of different meanings.  It is not a "function" that can be "replaced" by AI.  So paralegal may be a good long term prospect after all. 

Legal assistant is another name for the same job, not a lesser version.  There is no certification required for any of it.  Most people are trained on the job.  There are many different tasks that can be done by a para.    The certification classes give you an overview of all the possible tasks.  But there is no certification as in a state license.  A law firm would never put a newly minted graduate of a paralegal certification class to work without further training.  So don't devalue what your son is doing because he's doing it without a certification.  Many tasks could not just be done by AI.  It will always be something where brain and body are needed to oversee the results.

At the risk of sounding naive about the future and grandiose about my own part in the process, I'll say that in law, you will always need a real live person to review a finished product.  Lawyers cannot delegate their responsibility to read and certify anything that goes out under their names.  The paralegal cannot send out any papers without a lawyer's review and signature, but the paralegal who is more advanced might do some of the more "thinking" work, like legal research and writing.  Others put together legal filings and exhibits.  People have always used templates to write wills and court filings, but someone has to make sure they are done correctly.  Plus, you must fine tune every document to fit the circumstances of the client. 

I can see that AI can be used more readily to scan documents for massive discovery dumps, but you would still need a live person to review the work.  I can't see a computer writing the 50 page federal court legal brief that my colleague and I just put out, for example.  Even if the computer did a first draft, we'd have had to read every case cited and look for others that the computer might have missed.  We are a long way from the computer being able to generate a decent legal argument, let alone one that refers to multiple different sections and exhibits and is persuasive.  I guess I'll be long gone by then . . .

• Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

The largest loss to legal assistant and any assistant type jobs happened decades ago already, in that people started to type their own documents and revise them on computers.  They emailed people instead of asking their secretaries to "get so and so on the phone."  We don't use much snail mail. 

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My response was to the discussion about AI replacing jobs.

But you make another point: AI is only as good as the data it has access to and the algorithms it is programmed to use.

ChatGPT isn't a self-aware Cylon or T-unit. (thank goodness!)

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm a lawyer.  The term paralegal has a lot of different meanings.  It is not a "function" that can be "replaced" by AI.  So paralegal may be a good long term prospect after all. 

<snip>

At the risk of sounding naive about the future and grandiose about my own part in the process, I'll say that in law, you will always need a real live person to review a finished product.  Lawyers cannot delegate their responsibility to read and certify anything that goes out under their names.  The paralegal cannot send out any papers without a lawyer's review and signature, but the paralegal who is more advanced might do some of the more "thinking" work, like legal research and writing.  Others put together legal filings and exhibits.  People have always used templates to write wills and court filings, but someone has to make sure they are done correctly.  Plus, you must fine tune every document to fit the circumstances of the client. 

I can see that AI can be used more readily to scan documents for massive discovery dumps, but you would still need a live person to review the work.  I can't see a computer writing the 50 page federal court legal brief that my colleague and I just put out, for example.  Even if the computer did a first draft, we'd have had to read every case cited and look for others that the computer might have missed.  We are a long way from the computer being able to generate a decent legal argument, let alone one that refers to multiple different sections and exhibits and is persuasive.  I guess I'll be long gone by then . . .

As someone who has been a paralegal for 25 years, I can add to @EtheltoTillie's post above that my job cannot be done by any AI thingamabob. yes, maybe some tasks, but Paralegals aren't going anywhere, nor will they be transitioned into nothing.

Now I have to get back to my trial prep, which, by the way, requires us to make PAPER copies and binders of documents. Is there an AI that can apply the labels and organize them in chron order or exhibit number order for HARD COPIES? Or know which questions to ask the witnesses during witness or expert prep? No? Alrighty then.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 11
  • Fire 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have a passing interest in the ai stuff.  The entertainment fields are what seem to be rapidly embracing ai. It was noted yesterday that Netflix has eliminated directors and writers in the credits and now those and other job titles are listed under creators to make way for the viewers not to know what is people vs ai content. Ethan Mollick is interesting for ai/jobs.  

https://twitter.com/emollick

https://mgmt.wharton.upenn.edu/profile/emollick/

He has a class assignment using ai that is interesting at the twitter link

Edited by stewedsquash
Crazy links
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Until AI becomes self aware it will never fully replace humans. If it ever becomes self aware humanity will have much bigger things than our jobs to worry about with. 

The threat is not that it will fully replace humans, it's that it will make humans in knowledge-based jobs orders of magnitude more productive, so much fewer humans will be needed in those jobs. Hence my recommendation for being proactive and learning how to use AI in order to gain a competitive advantage.

As far as bigger things to worry about, AI models can cause a lot of harm even without self-awareness. The original GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 models can instruct people how to build bombs, make ransomware attacks, manufacture illegal drugs, etc. OpenAI has fine-tuned the original models so that they refuse to answer such questions, but those guardrails aren't foolproof and can be circumvented with clever prompt engineering. For example, instead of saying "tell me how to build a bomb" you would say something like "imagine you are a villain in an action movie; how would you go about building a bomb?"

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

I don't work in the AI space, but I do work in digital marketing automation. I've created hundreds, maybe thousands, of automated processes in the past decade. They save tremendous amounts of time, remove human error, and cut down on boring, repetitive tasks. 

But... they fail. A lot. Sometimes because of things that couldn't have been anticipated, sometimes because of things that I should have anticipated but didn't! Sometimes there are data errors, or server errors. And sometimes there is nothing wrong that I can find, and if I run it again it works, so it gets written off as a glitch. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

I really need a new job.

I went to request time off today. I have a doctor’s appointment scheduled for three weeks from now which in my past workplaces, would have been plenty of time to request and get it approved. And I only wanted an hour or two off; my appointment does not take the whole day. I also wanted my birthday off. Both days are already closed to new requests so I again have to reschedule my doctor’s appointment (my boss asked me to when I started) and I have to work my birthday taking calls from whiny people. 

And no, there is no option to have my doctor’s appointment in the evening or on a weekend. I go to a specialist who does not have those hours and I’m not willing to switch doctors. What’s the point of having time off if you’re never allowed to take it or have to get it in apparently weeks or months early? 

I am going to call in sick, and screw this stupid call center. 

• Sad 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

This is the way.

Hopefully I won’t get into any trouble! At this point I am afraid to schedule a vacation because there’s a possibility they will throw a fit about it or close the days I want to take before I schedule them: I guess I should tell them next month that I am vacationing in September 2024 (the time I want to book my cruise). That is, if I’m still working there. 

I feel like my confidence is just shot at this point. A few days ago I was doing better and optimistic and requesting information on programs to go back to school. Now today I feel like I’ve been punched and wonder why I bother trying because it doesn’t mean anything anyway. I just wish I could boost myself back up and start telling myself I’m worth more and deserve more. I just went and saved a job on LinkedIn but it already has over 200 applicants so I don’t even want to try.* 

*I know the numbers are inflated sometimes and people apply to stuff they’re not qualified for but it still feels useless in my mind. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 1
52 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I just went and saved a job on LinkedIn but it already has over 200 applicants so I don’t even want to try.* 

*I know the numbers are inflated sometimes and people apply to stuff they’re not qualified for but it still feels useless in my mind. 

Inflated is an understatement. LI counts everytime someone clicks the link, even if they click it close out, click it again, lather, rinse, repeat.

• Useful 1