Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I've been keeping this close because it still feels like a dream, but after 3 years and 200+ applications, I start my new job on Monday with a company I've been trying and trying to get into.

I'll be a process improvement BA for an international gaming company here in NV. It comes with a raise from my last position, a nice bonus, 15 days PTO, a decent 401k match, benefits on day 1, etc... I'm so excited.

I received a nice "welcome to the team" email from my new manager a couple of weeks ago and the ongoing onboarding process has been amazing. I feel so supported and know exactly what to expect, and when. This level of communication is a dream for someone like me.

It is a hybrid company and the campus is amazing. It has an on-site cafeteria, a gym, free Starbucks (tip your barista!), and free lunch on Wednesday. The only downside is they are an open floor plan and I've spent my life either in a cube farm or an office with a door. After WFH for 2 years it will be an adjustment but for only 2 days a week, I'm sure I'll be fine. I have good noise-canceling headphones.

WOOHOO!|

ETA: Thank you to everyone here for your support, encouragement, referrals, etc... <3 

Wow!!! and Woohoo! Congratulations! This sounds incredible! Especially after such a long time being in the wrong place! I'm sure you'll be fine meeting with people 2 days per week. You might even enjoy it!

Wishing you all the best for your new work life!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have good noise-canceling headphones.

This is great news!  Do they have the new cell phone booths in your building?  We have them in our lobby now.  They're like the old phone booths, but they just have a glass door and a table and seat.  People use them for private calls. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I'll be a process improvement BA

I had to look up what this is, so I've learned something new already and it's only lunchtime.

The only downside is they are an open floor plan

That is a big downside, but for only two days a week, I think you'll adjust just fine, especially given all the upsides.

Congratulations!!  You had to wait a long time, and ultimately take the leap of relocating without a job in order to get out of Hell, and I'm happy to hear it has finally paid off -- and quite well so far.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Thank you, everyone! I dropped off the radar with updates because they were so depressing, and as time went on, it didn't do me any good to get my hopes up for anything.

This is the third position I've applied for at this company. The next day, the recruiter I previously worked with shared it on LI, so I sent her an email. She had already gotten my resume and was going to email me for a time to speak. That was in December when I had already decided I was going to quit and move. The interviews wrapped up at the end of January, and it was well over a month before I got my offer.

Right after I got my offer, I had five additional phone screen requests from applications I turned in at the end of January. I turned them all down since those salary ranges weren't even close to this one. And this company has a great reputation for treating its employees well.

• Like 9
  • Love 5

I just got a call from my recruiter. He told me about a short term admin job at a financial services company that is located quite close to where I live. The pay is decent, and so are the hours. He's going to meet with the office manager tomorrow and present my resume to her. Wish me luck.

• Like 14
  • Hugs 2

Good luck @Bookish Jen. Congrats @theredhead77. Very happy for you.

Not a big deal, but I just want to vent a bit about this one coworker. I used to really like him. We saw eye to eye on a lot of issues whenever topics like misogyny or racism came up. I thought he was one of the more respectful and decent men in the office. I was always more comfortable around him than some of the other guys due to their “locker room talk.” 

But he is coming across more and more two-faced lately. I didn’t like when he’d mock our supervisor because despite any issues those two have, our supervisor a nice guy and never says anything bad about the coworker. This same coworker also complained about these two other coworkers, but I’ve noticed that he visits with those two more than he does anyone else. If I don’t like someone, I don’t constantly go to their cubicle to chat. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Not a big deal, but I just want to vent a bit about this one coworker. I used to really like him. We saw eye to eye on a lot of issues whenever topics like misogyny or racism came up. I thought he was one of the more respectful and decent men in the office. I was always more comfortable around him than some of the other guys due to their “locker room talk.” 

But he is coming across more and more two-faced lately. I didn’t like when he’d mock our supervisor because despite any issues those two have, our supervisor a nice guy and never says anything bad about the coworker. This same coworker also complained about these two other coworkers, but I’ve noticed that he visits with those two more than he does anyone else. If I don’t like someone, I don’t constantly go to their cubicle to chat. 

That's tricky. Maybe your coworker is going through a tough time and is (unfairly) letting it out by trash talking the supervisor and other coworkers, or he's always been this way and is becoming more open with you because he thinks you're interested in the trash talk and gossip. Next time he says something mean about one of those people, ask him if he's doing OK because you've noticed him being more negative lately. If you prefer to be more direct you could say "I really like XYZ is and don't appreciate your comments about them." That will probably cool off the friendship between you two, but at least you will have stuck to your values.

• Useful 2
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That's tricky. Maybe your coworker is going through a tough time and is (unfairly) letting it out by trash talking the supervisor and other coworkers, or he's always been this way and is becoming more open with you because he thinks you're interested in the trash talk and gossip. Next time he says something mean about one of those people, ask him if he's doing OK because you've noticed him being more negative lately. If you prefer to be more direct you could say "I really like XYZ is and don't appreciate your comments about them." That will probably cool off the friendship between you two, but at least you will have stuck to your values.

Thank you for the advice. Our friendship has already cooled since I have been doing the above. I wondered if he became more distant with me since I am friends with the supervisor and don’t have any major problems with anyone. People absolutely expect you to agree sometimes with the trash talk, and unless you’ve crossed some major lines, that isn’t really my style. We did complain about certain individuals having some bigoted ways years ago, but that was the only negative stuff that was mutual between us.

Working remotely, sometimes I missed seeing coworkers, but I can’t stand the fakery and office politics. I really roll my eyes when I hear people say men don’t gossip or start drama. (Insert the meme) lol They absolutely do, in my experiences even worse, and also hold grudges. These super chill laidback men who simply go to work and return home are just as common as the women who do the same. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Working remotely, sometimes I missed seeing coworkers, but I can’t stand the fakery and office politics. I really roll my eyes when I hear people say men don’t gossip or start drama. (Insert the meme) lol They absolutely do, in my experiences even worse, and also hold grudges. These super chill laidback men who simply go to work and return home are just as common as the women who do the same. 

This 100%. I also agree that working remotely cuts down on the toxicity of in-person office culture. Some people still find ways to be toxic though.

• Like 3

In need of advice..... I found another job in my field. Better hours, pay, days off, and I'll be a supervisor now. The only thing is the job is 1:45- 2 hours away across the state (FL) in an area that was devastated by Hurricane Ian a few months ago so housing is extremely limited. I am set to start on the 23rd. Work time and hours are typical office hours.

Since it is highly unlikely I will find permanent housing then, would you all recommend that I make the two hour trip each day or rent a hotel Sunday night and return home on Thursday? Just looking for suggestions.

12 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

In need of advice..... I found another job in my field. Better hours, pay, days off, and I'll be a supervisor now. The only thing is the job is 1:45- 2 hours away across the state (FL) in an area that was devastated by Hurricane Ian a few months ago so housing is extremely limited. I am set to start on the 23rd. Work time and hours are typical office hours.

Since it is highly unlikely I will find permanent housing then, would you all recommend that I make the two hour trip each day or rent a hotel Sunday night and return home on Thursday? Just looking for suggestions.

I think the choice depends largely on your financial situation, how exhausting you find the commute, and how comfortable you are staying in hotels for long periods of time (I personally like hotels only for short stays). Maybe try it out both ways, since you don't have a to make a long-term commitment with a hotel like you would with a lease.

Once the area has recovered from the hurricane and there's more housing available, are you planning to move there permanently?

5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think the choice depends largely on your financial situation, how exhausting you find the commute, and how comfortable you are staying in hotels for long periods of time (I personally like hotels only for short stays). Maybe try it out both ways, since you don't have a to make a long-term commitment with a hotel like you would with a lease.

Once the area has recovered from the hurricane and there's more housing available, are you planning to move there permanently?

Yes, am planning to move permanently as soon as I find a place.

9 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Yes, am planning to move permanently as soon as I find a place.

Are there any short-term rentals that you can get in the meantime - like a temporary roommate situation or an ADU on someone's property? That may be cheaper than a hotel and give you the opportunity to get to know some locals.

• Like 1

I loathe commutes of more than 30 minutes each way, so the thought of spending up to four hours a day on the road has me immediately saying no question: Rent a local hotel room (or a short-term guest home rental if that's available in the area) during the week until you find a place (so long as you can afford that).  FOUR HOURS.  PER DAY.  And driving, I assume, so it's not even sitting on a train.

But I have a cat who's terrified of new situations, so I'd have to either leave her home and have my parents - whom she merely tolerates, as with everyone else in the world other than me - take care of her daily during the week, only being with her on weekends, which I'd only do short-term, or take her with me, hoping she'd adjust -- and not be let out by a hotel employee ignoring my posted warning -- in which case I wouldn't be coming home on weekends, I'd just stay there full time.  So it's nowhere near that simple in my case.

Not knowing the details of yours, I'd say it comes down to how long you realistically estimate it will take you to secure permanent housing and what your individual situation puts in the "con" column for doing the hotel/rental thing until that happens, but my preference would be hotel/short-term rental rather than commute unless circumstances made commuting the better option.

Congratulations on the new job!  It sounds great, and I hope it's everything you want it to be, and that this relocation period isn't as difficult as it seems.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

This 100%. I also agree that working remotely cuts down on the toxicity of in-person office culture. Some people still find ways to be toxic though.

Earlier this year I had to do an on-line harassment training course(the exact same one I had to do the past two years) and I think this is another reason WFH should be permanent for anyone who wants it, it avoids most opportunities for harassment.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I also agree that working remotely cuts down on the toxicity of in-person office culture.

I read through a lot of stuff talking about how things went for companies with working from home during the pandemic, specifically as part of developing long term plans for what to do when it was over.

One success from working remotely was that call centers became more efficient (when managed properly of course), because the lack of personal interaction greatly decreased the number of complaints about and disputes between coworkers.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

My company's fiscal year ends on March 31st, and both the quarterly leadership meeting and the monthly all-hands were rescheduled to the last week of March, on consecutive days. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but all signs point to bad news, probably a lay-off before the end of the fiscal year or a freeze on promotions and bonuses for the upcoming performance reviews. I can deal with whatever happens, but the worst thing would be if senior leadership asks me and the other directors/VPs to follow a "script" that tries to spin it as positive. The people on my teams are very intelligent and they would lose all respect for me if I tried to feed them that kind of BS. In the past I have successfully refused to follow such "scripts" but all of those situations were minor in comparison.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3

From chit-chat. Replying here since it is work related.

9 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

If my paycheck doesn’t come by Saturday I don’t know what I’m going to do. (They pay the 15th and the 30th.) I have never been out of money but right now it is really dire, and I just kind of feel like nobody cares. Everyone just expects me to continue having money and have a perfect budget. Well I need income for that to happen. 

If I don’t have my check by tomorrow I am telling my job that I need a longer lunch on Friday so I can go to the bank and get an IRA withdrawal. Yes I will be penalized and all that but I am out of options. Maybe their payroll processes should get into the 21st century and they wouldn’t have to worry about it. 

You may want to ask for a longer break to handle a personal emergency instead of "telling" them (or demanding) a longer lunch. Being penalized (as you put it) in your first 90 days (let alone the first 30 days) is literally putting your job at risk. Is a check that may come Saturday or Monday worth losing your job?

Can't you go to the bank on Saturday or handle this via phone?

• Like 5
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

From chit-chat. Replying here since it is work related.

You may want to ask for a longer break to handle a personal emergency instead of "telling" them (or demanding) a longer lunch. Being penalized (as you put it) in your first 90 days (let alone the first 30 days) is literally putting your job at risk. Is a check that may come Saturday or Monday worth losing your job?

Can't you go to the bank on Saturday or handle this via phone?

I believe penalized refers to the IRA balance, not to the job. 

• Like 3

The bank is closed on Saturdays and I can’t do it over the phone because there is paperwork to sign in person. I just feel uncomfortable counting on the mail for this.

Besides if my coworker is allowed to train with her kids crying in the background (even though we have a policy that says caring for children while working remotely is not allowed) and can disappear to take care of them, then I should be allowed to go on an errand. 

• Like 4

Choose your battles. I realize it will completely suck to have a $0 balance over the weekend but if you lose this job you will really be SOL. I'm not sure if it varies by state but I would be shocked if you would qualify for UI if you were let go over this.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Besides if my coworker is allowed to train with her kids crying in the background (even though we have a policy that says caring for children while working remotely is not allowed) and can disappear to take care of them, then I should be allowed to go on an errand. 

Completely irrelevant to your situation, and you will look petty if you bring it up to your supervisor or other coworkers.

• Like 10
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I don't think that will work as an argument. I sympathize but it's really just a few days. Spend the weekend in your new place, have your mom cook you dinner and buy you breakfast, take some leftovers with you, and then it will be Monday.

I once spent almost a year having a budget of 5 bucks per day after I paid all my bills. I think and hope you can last a few days longer. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I don't think that will work as an argument. I sympathize but it's really just a few days. Spend the weekend in your new place, have your mom cook you dinner and buy you breakfast, take some leftovers with you, and then it will be Monday.

I once spent almost a year having a budget of 5 bucks per day after I paid all my bills. I think and hope you can last a few days longer. 

I agree, it never looks good to point to someone else, particularly as a new employee. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I agree, it never looks good to point to someone else, particularly as a new employee. 

Word. One never knows the circumstances behind another person's situation. They could have an exception, an emergency their manager knows about, be besties with the manager or HR, etc...

The first year should be spent keeping your head down, learning, asking questions and learning company culture.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I so agree. Years ago I worked with a lady who was furious that a coworker in another department kept leaving early several times a month. She never asked this person why, she would just bitch to everyone about how unfair it was that they got to leave early and no one else did. Turns out, this person was taking their spouse for chemo treatments several times a month and had gotten permission from HR and their boss. And it also turned out that this person's manager and the manager of my department were friends and when the manager of the coworker leaving early heard what this lady was saying, she went right to my manager. Guess who got let go shortly after? 

I learned by watching that situation unfold that 1) you never bitch about someone else's hours or working arrangements because 2) you never know what someone else is going through and 3) you have no idea what's been discussed behind the scenes.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I so agree. Years ago I worked with a lady who was furious that a coworker in another department kept leaving early several times a month. She never asked this person why, she would just bitch to everyone about how unfair it was that they got to leave early and no one else did. Turns out, this person was taking their spouse for chemo treatments several times a month and had gotten permission from HR and their boss. And it also turned out that this person's manager and the manager of my department were friends and when the manager of the coworker leaving early heard what this lady was saying, she went right to my manager. Guess who got let go shortly after? 

I learned by watching that situation unfold that 1) you never bitch about someone else's hours or working arrangements because 2) you never know what someone else is going through and 3) you have no idea what's been discussed behind the scenes.

When I first started with my last company I was hourly, but my boss was super flexible as long as I worked my 8. One Friday I came in at 6am and left at 9am. I was dressed up, too. This other woman, who had a super rigged boss went to HR to complain. My boss and I got hauled into HR about my hours and that instance. I shared with HR what I Shared with my boss to secure permission to use some vacation time. I was going to a funeral for my friend's 3 week old. The funeral was 3 hours away. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Sad 3

One Friday I came in at 6am and left at 9am. I was dressed up, too. This other woman, who had a super rigged boss went to HR to complain.

I don't get why people complain when others leave work early.  I have days where I leave work an hour or so early, and my co-workers will take half the day off or leave early, too.  My co-workers have a lot of overtime, so they use their flex time. I don't get much overtime at my job, but I have a lot of holiday time so I'll take an hour off here or there.  As long as there's coverage, no one gets angry about it.  I've never had anyone freak out because someone left a few hours early, or took some time off in the morning to attend to something.  Wow.

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

I don't get why people complain when others leave work early.  I have days where I leave work an hour or so early, and my co-workers will take half the day off or leave early, too.  My co-workers have a lot of overtime, so they use their flex time. I don't get much overtime at my job, but I have a lot of holiday time so I'll take an hour off here or there.  As long as there's coverage, no one gets angry about it.  I've never had anyone freak out because someone left a few hours early, or took some time off in the morning to attend to something.  Wow.

Same. Unless it's a situation where customer service levels are impacted due to a staffing shortage, or someone is stuck picking up the slack and it never works itself out. But even then, management usually has the final word on scheduling and can prevent that from becoming an issue with attendance policies. 

In my situation, the complainer wasn't even in the same department, she had zero to do with my job and vice versa. She was just unhappy that my hours were dictated by the needs of the business and my flexible manager, while her's were static because her boss was rigid. 

• Like 5

Reminds me of a non-work situation from my childhood when this girl in my 6th grade class stood up and said loudly, "MRS. SMITH!  MRS. SMITH! AMY IS EATING CANDY!!  Amy was not eating candy; she was taking medication because she had epilepsy.  The teacher shut that shit down immediately.  I knew because Amy was a neighbor and we had learned early on that while we were playing, if she started "acting funny," we should get Amy's mom.  As a young child I didn't know that meant she was having a seizure.  At some point I asked my mom if Amy had high blood pressure, because my grandma had high blood pressure and she had to take pills every day too.  My mom explained it to me in very basic terms, but also impressed upon me that one does not ask personal questions and I shouldn't bring it up to Amy unless she said something to me first. 

You never know what is happening with someone else.  The only time I questioned when a co-worker was out was when a person in my office would spend a day talking about the big night out she planned, and then the next day she wouldn't come in because she was "sick."  This started happening almost every week.  The supervisor called her in and expressed concern.  She left our office because of how "stifling" management was.  

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Reminds me of a non-work situation from my childhood when this girl in my 6th grade class stood up and said loudly, "MRS. SMITH!  MRS. SMITH! AMY IS EATING CANDY!!  Amy was not eating candy; she was taking medication because she had epilepsy.  The teacher shut that shit down immediately.

Trouble is there are so many resentful people out there who think everyone else is breaking the rules and they are obligated to spoil it for them, even when there is a good reason.

• Like 6

I just wrapped up the first week at my new job. The onboarding process is the best I've ever experienced. Everyone is so nice and the campus is amazing.  There is a full-service Starbucks that is free to the employees, an onsite gym, free lunch on Wednesday, jeans (dressy) are fine, company events w/ beer or wine (the company has a liquor license), and we get a half day every Friday (which are supposed to be "meeting free Fridays").

I'm in a department that has late calls and does testing so the half-days will eventually compensate for the long hours. 

I'm sure there will be a time that I become jaded and burned out, but that day is not today.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 12
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm sure there will be a time that I become jaded and burned out, but that day is not today.

This does tend to happen after the "honeymoon period" wears off, but if you set boundaries early on, you can minimize the burnout. Only work late nights when it's required for a project, don't make a habit of it. 

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

This does tend to happen after the "honeymoon period" wears off, but if you set boundaries early on, you can minimize the burnout. Only work late nights when it's required for a project, don't make a habit of it. 

Yep. I'm a big fan of the work-life balance. My direct coworker works late nights and our boss is encouraging him to slow that roll. He's young and ambitious but he has small kids at home he should be spending time with. Unfortunately, we need the late meetings because we work directly with people all over the planet but he (a direct coworker) told me to question the later meetings and meetings that seem like they can be emails. I'm already working with him to create agendas and how to come to the meetings more prepared.  I will put in 8-9 hours and on nights we have late meetings, I'll start my day later.  

• Like 9

I was fuming a few minutes ago. Big renaming for a client and their products. The Dip had one thing to do, of course said oh you have to do your piece before I can do mine. Nope, not connected at all, plus several systems are to be updated Monday. Oh but she had to schedule a meeting to go over it. Tech guy, who trained me years ago, was on the call, backed me 100%. “Oh I guess I was the only one confused.” Yes, we know how to do our jobs. 
So Dip does her updates and promptly logs out, sending first to me to review. And it is wrong. All she had to do is remove one word or replace a word in each title. Completely erased stuff and added stuff that doesn’t follow the existing pattern. Would have been client facing error. I texted her, saying this isn’t correct. Said not one word to me, probably po’d. Like I wasn’t. Sent back to me with 3 errors still. Co-worker had stuff earlier in the day Dip did that was still wrong after sending back 2x, said I am just going to fix myself. I get it, but she needs to fix her own errors. A lot of people have coddled her or done her work for her for years. I have not in a long time; that gravy train is derailed with me.

She had multiple errors all week, saying she’d set up something then, nope oh LOL I guess I didn’t do it. 

Then I was going to show a co-worker how that naming deal worked and she had logged out. I have stayed online late to help her with stuff, like 1.5 hours extra. Just a tad heated. 

I am so tired honestly right now, I am in a fk it all mood. Then I was going to the grocery, but no my car battery is dead. So either I get it jumped via my Halo Bolt (didn’t work first time but I was flustered), or plan b is calling AAA. It’s always something. 

• Hugs 5

I just wrapped up the first week at my new job. The onboarding process is the best I've ever experienced. Everyone is so nice and the campus is amazing.  There is a full-service Starbucks that is free to the employees, an onsite gym, free lunch on Wednesday, jeans (dressy) are fine, company events w/ beer or wine (the company has a liquor license), and we get a half day every Friday (which are supposed to be "meeting free Fridays").

I'm in a department that has late calls and does testing so the half-days will eventually compensate for the long hours. 

I’m so happy for you! You deserve it! I’ve been crossing my fingers for you because I remember how much your advice and support got ME through as I panicked and worried after my round of interviews for the job I have now.

No burnout for me, but certainly challenges with a certain attorney (who I ended up working for on a case when the previous paralegal left) who doesn’t understand the concept of “division of labor” and thinks I can do everything. But I’m saving that talk with him for when I get back from my trip.

So 🙌🙌🙌🙌 and 🥂to you, my friend!

• Like 9

I got asked on the interview for the job I got what was attracting me to customer service work again because I hadn’t done it in a while. If only I could have said “unemployment is getting old now and I need a paycheck again.” I had to make something up about wanting to help people, and I guess the hiring team was convinced since there I am now. And I still don’t want to work in customer service but…bills gotta be paid until I can get back out… 

• Like 5