Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

Are those tests specific to the recruitment industry? I've worked at several companies that are difficult to get into, and applied to/interviewed with many more, and never in my 16-year career have I had to answer such inane questions as the one about clocks.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Are those tests specific to the recruitment industry? I've worked at several companies that are difficult to get into, and applied to/interviewed with many more, and never in my 16-year career have I had to answer such inane questions as the one about clocks.

I have applied for a bunch of recruiting coordinator and HR coordinator jobs and haven’t had a test like this yet. This particular job was an HR customer service rep, so basically working in a call center and answering HR questions from employees. 

I don’t love assessments as much as the next person but I’m sure there’s a way this company could create a skills based assessment for this position. Have a job simulation with customer service scenarios or something. Let the applicant do a mock data entry exercise. There has to be a better way to see if a job is a good fit besides questions like “When at work I….” (choices being “speak before I think” or “think before I speak.” I mean, duh, my dog could answer that question.) 

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I just did one for a job that asked me what I do when the clocks in my house have different times on them (either it doesn’t bother me or I correct them)

My guess is they want to know if you're concerned enough to correct something if you notice it or are about consistency.  Some people can't stand seeing the tilted picture frame and MUST straighten it.  I probably would have said I keep my clocks in different time zones - so I know what time it is for those I love living in different parts of the world!!

Personally, I think these assessments aren't all that.  If recruiters/employers want to know why good help is hard to find - they should check a mirror.  I think  they are their own worst enemy.

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Employers have different ideas  on how to weed people out. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It's not about weeding people out though, it's about finding people who are the most likely to be successful in the role. And asking irrelevant questions is the worst way to go about that.

• Applause 3
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

It's not about weeding people out though, it's about finding people who are the most likely to be successful in the role. And asking irrelevant questions is the worst way to go about that.

Asking what appear to be irrelevant questions is a tool. Would I want to participate in such a thing as an employer, or a person being interviewed, probably not.

To me, it’s similar to having the same question rephrased repeatedly on a test. It serves a purpose for some.

If I didn’t like the hiring process of a prospective employer, I wouldn’t consider working with them.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Asking what appear to be irrelevant questions is a tool.

I agree, but my point was that it's not a useful one. Companies like Google, who used to employ this tactic, have since admitted that it doesn't result in high-performing employees, so they scrapped it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

If I didn’t like the hiring process of a prospective employer, I wouldn’t consider working with them.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine who works in the hospitality industry (she works as a venue's special events manager) was job hunting and she ran into those ridiculous personality assessments all the time.  It didn't take long before she refused to apply for any position that required one, as - while she has exactly the kind of people skills that make someone good in that kind of role - she didn't want to work for someone who'd rely on something so ineffectual to weed people out before even talking with them, but knew she was greatly reducing her options in making that decision.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine who works in the hospitality industry (she works as a venue's special events manager) was job hunting and she ran into those ridiculous personality assessments all the time.  It didn't take long before she refused to apply for any position that required one, as - while she has exactly the kind of people skills that make someone good in that kind of role - she didn't want to work for someone who'd rely on something so ineffectual to weed people out before even talking with them, but knew she was greatly reducing her options in making that decision.

I remember applying for those type of jobs many years ago when restaurants and retail were still using them. I’m applying for survival jobs again and it seems a lot of those businesses have done away with them. 

Anyway I decided I will no longer take a personality test for a job. If it’s a skills assessment that’s one thing and I’ll participate. But if I get a personality test, no more. I’m so tired of employers claiming they have no wrong answers yet rejecting people who don’t fit the profile.

I just got an email from another employer asking me to take one and saying I’d get a personalized workplace insights report from the assessment company. I deleted the email. It’s fine; there are companies out there that don’t require this madness. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Finally I got my unemployment payments so I’ll be able to pay rent and be spared any discomfort or threats of eviction with my landlord. (He doesn’t know I got laid off and he’s a property manager so he owns a lot of homes, meaning I virtually never see him anyway….I think he said he owns 20 or 25 properties.)

Now I just need a job offer. It’s been eight weeks since I got laid off. I won’t go too much into work stuff here, but I do have a top choice employer (they haven’t gotten back to me yet either way)…just that I have to go with the first offer at this point, and if it’s not ideal, I can keep an eye out for something better. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Finally I got my unemployment payments so I’ll be able to pay rent and be spared any discomfort or threats of eviction with my landlord. (He doesn’t know I got laid off and he’s a property manager so he owns a lot of homes, meaning I virtually never see him anyway….I think he said he owns 20 or 25 properties.)

Now I just need a job offer. It’s been eight weeks since I got laid off. I won’t go too much into work stuff here, but I do have a top choice employer (they haven’t gotten back to me yet either way)…just that I have to go with the first offer at this point, and if it’s not ideal, I can keep an eye out for something better. 

Great news!  We are all relieved for you.

• Fire 1
  • Love 3

I remember having to take those ridiculous assessment tests-How proficient I was in Word, Excel. Ridiculous. Considering they only have you like, 5 seconds to make a choice, when in real life and at the job, you have more time to figure out how to do something; Google, ask a colleague, etc.

I know the one recruiting agency I used stopped requiring the candidates to take those. And of course the head hunter I had, was looking out for MY best interests. And when she left, I followed her. She was the one who got me the contract jobs while still looking for permanent work; but when she left the last place, there was a non-compete, so I couldn't go to her for a year. But during that year was when I stopped using agencies and just applied on my own and got the job I'm at now.

• Like 1
On 1/30/2023 at 8:06 PM, Bastet said:

Those personality tests are indeed bullshit.  They're also heavily biased against introverts (based on a highly inaccurate view of what being introverted actually means).

Around 20 years ago a temp agency refused to take me on because I tested as an introvert on a personality test.

My friend and I were just discussing the bias against introverts in the workplace. I can be friendly and I'm a good public speaker, but I don't like mindless chatter and I need my alone time.

Anyway, as many of you know, I lost my job last fall. I'm temping while looking for another job. I just finished a front desk job at a local school. The recruiter I'm working with mentioned another front desk job. I'm not sure I want to do this type of assignment again considering its on a bigger scale and in the corporate realm.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

From chit-chat:

4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Now I just need a job offer. It’s been eight weeks since I got laid off.

I, too, need a job offer. I quit my job a few weeks ago so I could get out of hell, GA and have zero income. My most promising interview process was supposed to update me last week. I've followed up 3 times. *crickets*

I'm glad your UI finally showed up and that you are getting interviews. I've submitted 15 applications over the last 5 days. No bites, yet.

• Hugs 5
12 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Around 20 years ago a temp agency refused to take me on because I tested as an introvert on a personality test.

My friend and I were just discussing the bias against introverts in the workplace. I can be friendly and I'm a good public speaker, but I don't like mindless chatter and I need my alone time.

I'm also an introvert. I used to be called stand-offish and even reported to HR for preferring to eat lunch alone sometimes and not wanting to attend every happy hour. Working remotely has been an absolute godsend in this regard. I'm in a lot of Zoom meetings, but I can turn the camera off if I'm not one of the main participants, and having a quiet lunch by myself helps replenish my energy for the second half of the day.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 6
47 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I quit my job a few weeks ago so I could get out of hell, GA

Woo!! I'm happy for you finally getting out of that place.  Are you back in CA?

I hope you see some movement on the job hunt soon.  It's brutal.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Woo!! I'm happy for you finally getting out of that place.  Are you back in CA?

I moved to NV, just outside of Vegas. A friend of a friend hooked me up with his rental house at a "friends and family" discount.

I hope you see some movement on the job hunt soon.  It's brutal.

This starts year 3 of my job hunt. It's embarrassing that I haven't gotten a single offer during the "candidates market" and now that we're in a "recession" it's just going to be even harder. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

This starts year 3 of my job hunt.

Maybe things will improve now that you're in a new location and looking locally rather than being an out-of-state applicant.  A friend's brother was looking to relocate out of state and went about two years without getting much of anything, let alone an offer.  When he finally just quit and moved to the new location, he started getting more response.  (He now has a job, but I don't remember how long after he moved he got it.)  Fingers crossed for you!

36 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's embarrassing that I haven't gotten a single offer during the "candidates market"

I understand how you feel.  This rampant "everyone's hiring, but no one wants to work" lie has distorted people's perceptions of those looking for work, making them feel like shit.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This rampant "everyone's hiring, but no one wants to work" lie has distorted people's perceptions of those looking for work, making them feel like shit.

My nephew is going through this right now.  He relocated for his wife's education and was assured before moving that "there are tons of jobs going for the asking".  Uh huh.  What he didn't know until he got there was that the tons of jobs were almost all low paying, retail and part-time.  And even when he finally decided to settle for a job like that until something better came along.  Well, no prizes if you guessed that he still didn't get one of these "jobs for the asking".  7 months and counting.  

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Maybe things will improve now that you're in a new location and looking locally rather than being an out-of-state applicant. 

I sure hope so, but I'm not optimistic. I had been using the NV address I'm now living at in my applications and was also applying to 100% remote positions. If I was lucky enough to get a phone screen I would get to the final round and they the feedback was always positive (but vague) that they really liked me but went with someone else.

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

And even when he finally decided to settle for a job like that until something better came along.  Well, no prizes if you guessed that he still didn't get one of these "jobs for the asking".  7 months and counting.  

Yep. That is also a problem. The low-paying retail jobs don't want someone who is just there until something else comes along. They want someone who will stay at the job long-term.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Sad 1

My phone rang during an in-person interview today. 🤦‍♀️My interviewer came out to get me maybe a minute or so within me coming in and I didn’t get a chance to silence it. (I know I should have before walking in the building but I was a bit antsy.) Luckily it was a robocall so I didn’t pick it up and have a conversation or anything but not what I wanted to happen regardless. 

My old boss said to me today that she can’t believe employers are screaming that they can’t find people, no one wants to work, etc. and then not hiring anyone. I'm finding at least for my search that so many steps have been added to these interview processes and employers seem to be holding out for someone perfect. They want to drag it out over multiple rounds and/or add assessments and then complain about the candidates they get and nitpick. I've had a couple of hiring managers say "we've had this job open for a while and we're looking for the right fit." Well no one is perfect! Someone has to be good enough at some point. But employers want the moon and stars even for a <$40,000 a year job. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 4
On 2/1/2023 at 12:53 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

My old boss said to me today that she can’t believe employers are screaming that they can’t find people, no one wants to work, etc. and then not hiring anyone. I'm finding at least for my search that so many steps have been added to these interview processes and employers seem to be holding out for someone perfect. They want to drag it out over multiple rounds and/or add assessments and then complain about the candidates they get and nitpick. I've had a couple of hiring managers say "we've had this job open for a while and we're looking for the right fit." Well no one is perfect! Someone has to be good enough at some point. But employers want the moon and stars even for a <$40,000 a year job. 

Two possible takes here:

(1) When I was still working full time as a headhunter, there were numerous occasions when I was asked to fill a job, had candidates go in and interview (through more than one round) and then find out that the hiring company was not prepared to make an offer because they had not yet *received approval to budget for that opening* (I kid you not). This was especially true of the more highly compensated jobs (like Director level) where the company was thinking about going into a new development cycle on a product, or developing a new product altogether. So the "looking for the right fit" could be a falsehood to cover up this kind of situation.

(2) Getting rid of someone who doesn't work out is really fraught these days, with people suing right and left for "unlawful termination" (again, almost always at the professional level - people fired from Burger King don't generally have the resources to sue and if its not a clear cut case of racism or something, no lawyer is going to take the case without a big retainer up front). So a lot of companies interview and interview hoping they will find someone who really seems "perfect", or even better comes with a personal referral from someone inside the company, so they feel better about signing off on that offer letter.

• Like 4

I got a part time hosting job at a chain restaurant. It’s not a long term plan and I will keep looking for a full time job, but it will give me something to do and a small amount of extra income. And the manager is OK with me working there for just evenings and weekends once I do get a regular job. And if the job I get is no longer compatible with the restaurant…then I can drop the hosting gig and not have to deal with any long-term effects to my career or my resume. 

Still no job offers from any of the places I’ve finished interviewing. I had a question about one job I interviewed at last week, but when I emailed the hiring manager, I got a bounce back that she’s out of the office. I’m hoping I’m still in the running for the job and that they didn’t hire someone and ghost me before she went out of office. Hopefully she’ll follow up when she comes back. Goes to show how hiring can get held up. I am pretty sure two other employers ghosted me. Oh well. 

I have a video interview and a phone interview tomorrow and I’m waiting for confirmation for a video interview next week. My mom predicts that I’ll start getting offers soon and I’ll hopefully be able to choose and not just take the first thing. She sometimes drives me crazy but this is one instance where I hope she’s right…. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
5 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Well I didn't get the temp job I was talking about. The people who interviewed me liked me, but they went with someone who has more experience in the company's field.

Sorry to hear that. The “more experience” always seems to get me eliminated too. 

I had an interview today for a job I likely would not enjoy now that I know more about it. It would be a very strict call center environment with 90% attendance expected, lots of metrics being monitored, constant coaching…and the work hours are not great. Obviously if I don’t get any offers but that one I would deal with it but would keep looking for something less stressful with better hours. 

I wish I could know if I were still in the running with the job where the hiring manager is currently out of the office. It’s been eight working days since my interview so I’m thinking no but at the same time…the last job I had I waited three weeks from interview to offer so there are no absolutes or “every employer does it this way” when it comes to hiring. And people being out of the office can delay things. It’s my top choice job so that’s why I’m stressing. 

Unfortunately another week has ended for me with no full-time offers. I have a phone interview on Monday and am waiting for another employer to get back to me to schedule for Thursday. I will follow up with her on Tuesday if I still haven’t heard from her. She reached out yesterday to check my availability and I responded but she didn’t confirm today so hopefully she will on Monday. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

My company is on a hiring freeze for anything but "critical" roles, but we still get to hire interns for the summer. Two of my teams got approval for an intern, and both managers told me that they had to turn down many great candidates because there's only one spot available on each team. I just feel so sad for everyone who had to be told "you did great and the team really liked you, but we have chosen someone else." There's not even any constructive feedback we can give them that they can work on. Just the sad fact that there are more great candidates than there are openings.

This is just to reiterate to everybody here who's currently applying for jobs:

(a) don't take rejection personally, and 

(b) it's a numbers game more than anything.

• Like 2

It’s definitely something to keep in mind. I know when we hired summer associates at my firm…everyone seemed like they would be a good candidate. Very few, if any, candidates were totally off the mark or majorly flawed in some way to make them unhirable, even people who didn’t make the top three or four we were discussing in the selection meetings. I remember that in one of our locations, two hiring partners just made the decisions rather than having a committee, and they knew who they wanted before the two last callback candidates interviewed. It’s hard to remember that sometimes now that I’m back on the job market and wondering why I’m not good enough to have been hired yet while we’re still hearing news about all the job openings and how great the market is and I see other people getting laid off and hired again quickly. (Although the subtext is the market is great only for certain jobs/industries.)

It’s tough to keep trudging when everyone wants to assume you gave a bad interview and didn’t practice ahead of time or that your resume sucks. And sometimes that does happen and is the case, and we all have off days sometimes. But it’s just hard for me to imagine that it’s my fault all the time when there’s just as many factors outside of my control too, or employers ghost and you don’t know why they didn’t like you. I remember about a year ago that my sister, who certainly isn’t dumb and lacking social skills, got turned down from a job and the company made it clear in their rejection email that they wouldn’t provide feedback to rejected candidates, so she has no idea why she didn’t get the job. I feel like it’s becoming less common for employers to give feedback these days and the email she got is pretty typical. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 1

It’s been two months since I was laid off and I don’t really know how much longer I can keep going. I’m just getting tired and burned out on the process of job searching and interviewing, and later this week, I have a 90-minute interview…for a job that doesn’t even pay $40,000 a year. It’s like some employers are bloating the process because they can. At that salary, a phone screen and a face-to-face with the hiring manager should be enough. Obviously I am playing along (and pretending I’m happy about it) since I have nothing else to do but it’s so tiring. I don’t even feel happy to get interviews anymore because every process is so long and dragged out and I just want it to be over. I was confronted about my job history in an interview last week and the interviewer very bluntly asked me “so what do you want in a company?” The interview wasn’t really going great to that point and I didn’t want the job once I heard more about it, but I had never been asked that before so I was kind of caught off guard. 

I’m sick of it all….the applying, the multiple rounds of interviewing, the ghosting by employers, the STAR questions…I just want a job offer now. I’m even tired of my old boss asking how things are going because last week she was expressing shock that I haven’t been hired yet. Maybe because the firm laid me off after not even six months and now there’s tons of people on the market with experience, Janet. How’s that? 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 8

That sucks, @Cloud9Shopper. I'm starting year 3 of searching and it's just one auto rejection after another these days. I had to quit my job in order to move to NV and now the stress is on. I don't qualify for unemployment or any sort of benefits since I resigned so it's just me and my savings for now.

I was getting interviews and to the final round early on but not anymore. Everyone I know has gotten multiple jobs, promotions, etc... since I started looking.  

• Hugs 8

I didn’t get my top choice job. The employer decided to “move in a different direction.” Honestly it’s their loss in my eyes. They’ve had the job open for nearly a year and the hiring manager said at the interview that they’re looking for “the right fit” and they’re the ones insisting on a candidate meeting eight different people for a non-leadership role. (It was an admissions counselor job at a college, which involves a lot of travel and tends to be kind of high turnover.) I felt like I clicked well with everyone so my best guess is that either one or two of the panelists didn’t like me and there had to be a unanimous vote, or I said something wrong in one of the interviews…or maybe someone thought I was rude when I wasn’t intending to be.

I did try asking thoughtful questions too like about day in the life stuff, asking about my interviewers’ backgrounds, what they liked about the school. Maybe they weren’t as impressed with my questions as I was hoping. I don’t know. I could analyze this all day, but I decided not to ask for feedback because 1) lots of employers don’t give it these days and 2) I am disappointed about not getting my dream role but I still have other interviews this week and I don’t want to drown in the sorrows too much I guess. I hope the perfect employee is awaiting them and their high standards. 

• Hugs 4

Sigh. 

I finally got an offer…and it was for the job I absolutely didn’t want. I have until 5 pm tomorrow to let them know either way, and they won’t put anything in writing until I verbally accept the offer. There are two other jobs I’d prefer, calling my first choice Job A and the second choice Job B. Job A said they can get back to me tomorrow morning at the latest, and I’m waiting to see when Job B can be in touch. This job I don’t want we’ll call Job C. 

On the upside, though, I wouldn’t have any qualms about burning bridges with Job C if necessary. The job wouldn’t even start until the end of next month which gives me some time to keep interviewing and see if anything else materializes. If I got another offer before I was scheduled to start C I would definitely renege, but I know I would never apply for that job/employer again so no harm done. 

I have an interview for a fourth job, D, next week. Cross your fingers that something else I’d prefer comes through. I don’t want to end up in an unhappy and miserable environment. I’d rather just do the restaurant job until something comes along rather than do a full time job with crappy hours that will stress me out. 

• Hugs 2

Sounds to me like job C is your backup plan. Unless you want to think of the restaurant job as your backup. And that one is also easy to quit, isn't it?

Not that I'm in your shoes, but accepting the offer for job C and spend that month looking sounds like the best option to me. But maybe wait at least until you hear from job A.

Good luck with it all!

• Like 2

Yes, Job C is last resort because I wouldn’t be happy there. I don’t like the sound of the environment and the work hours are pretty terrible. (Like I’d have to give up my evening activities because it’s a mid-shift job and I’d feel pretty hurt about not having that small social part of my life.) 

I did get some good news in that the recruiter from B wants to talk to me tomorrow and asked how much salary C offered me, so I let him know. I hope he’s not going to call me only to say well actually we can’t make you an offer…that would be even worse than getting a job I don’t want… 

Am I petty? I have a school bag that has a bunch of teacher stuff. I leave my bag on my desk when I have to go downstairs to teach in another room. I went to teach another class in another floor, and when I came back, the teacher who was teaching a class in the room where my bag and desk are said "I'm sorry, but I saw the gummy bears in your bag and I ate them." First of all the gummy bears were inside my bag, and he said "yeah but I was at your bag, saw the gummy bears, and I just ate them." I'm livid. I know it's over gummy bears, but just the entitlement he felt to go into my bag to get gummy bears is just beyond. I'm still stewing about this.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 17

I don't know if your bag closes or not, but going in someone else's stuff just seems like theft to me.  If the candy were loose on your desk maybe he'd have a case but even then it's iffy.

Edited by partofme
  • Like 9
38 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I know it's over gummy bears, but just the entitlement he felt to go into my bag to get gummy bears is just beyond. I'm still stewing about this.

Not to suggest you would have these in your purse at all but he was not only entitled and greedy but he was also pretty damn stupid.  We've had a lot of cases of kids eating gummy bear type candy found in their home that were definitely not gummies meant for kids!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Good news! I ended up receiving three job offers in total! I declined Job C, the job I didn’t want, and was soooo happy when I told the recruiter I was going to have to turn them down. I would have worked there if I truly had to, but I knew with the schedule and how stressful the environment sounded that I wouldn’t have been happy. 

So…I ended up going with Job B! Job A would have been a great company to work for and had good benefits, but they paid less than B and couldn’t have guaranteed that I would not have to work on an evening where I have a weekly commitment (church choir). I simply was not willing to risk giving up choir unless, again, I didn’t get offered any other jobs. Job B has a schedule that works better with my personal life, has a closure between Christmas and New Year’s (which Job A doesn’t), and was able to pay in line with my salary goals. 

I signed the offer letter and background check consent for B and will start at the end of the month. I also am not going to work at my restaurant job since I only have to wait two weeks for my new job to start. The manager there seemed mad but..at the end of the day I wasn’t looking to work in a restaurant long term and I’m sure I am not the first person and won’t be the last to get hired and then not start. Let him be mad; they’ll forget about me soon enough. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Congratulations!

Best of luck and here's hoping you can now move out of that crummy place.

Thanks! I’m moving in a few weeks. The apartment was lined up before I got laid off, and luckily my mom knows the landlord (I got it through word of mouth; the owners didn’t want to advertise) so they were willing to wait until I figured out my job situation. So I’m outta here soon and have confirmed with my landlord. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Am I petty? I have a school bag that has a bunch of teacher stuff. I leave my bag on my desk when I have to go downstairs to teach in another room. I went to teach another class in another floor, and when I came back, the teacher who was teaching a class in the room where my bag and desk are said "I'm sorry, but I saw the gummy bears in your bag and I ate them." First of all the gummy bears were inside my bag, and he said "yeah but I was at your bag, saw the gummy bears, and I just ate them." I'm livid. I know it's over gummy bears, but just the entitlement he felt to go into my bag to get gummy bears is just beyond. I'm still stewing about this.

Not petty at all. You should report him.

3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Good news! I ended up receiving three job offers in total!

Congratulations! I'm glad the timing worked out so you're able to pick the best out of three.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Good news! I ended up receiving three job offers in total! I declined Job C, the job I didn’t want, and was soooo happy when I told the recruiter I was going to have to turn them down. I would have worked there if I truly had to, but I knew with the schedule and how stressful the environment sounded that I wouldn’t have been happy. 

So…I ended up going with Job B! Job A would have been a great company to work for and had good benefits, but they paid less than B and couldn’t have guaranteed that I would not have to work on an evening where I have a weekly commitment (church choir). I simply was not willing to risk giving up choir unless, again, I didn’t get offered any other jobs. Job B has a schedule that works better with my personal life, has a closure between Christmas and New Year’s (which Job A doesn’t), and was able to pay in line with my salary goals. 

I signed the offer letter and background check consent for B and will start at the end of the month. I also am not going to work at my restaurant job since I only have to wait two weeks for my new job to start. The manager there seemed mad but..at the end of the day I wasn’t looking to work in a restaurant long term and I’m sure I am not the first person and won’t be the last to get hired and then not start. Let him be mad; they’ll forget about me soon enough. 

Congratulations! So happy your job search is over! And with offers to choose from! 

4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This person teaches young students? I'm thinking you should report it. It's theft.

• Like 4

Thank you guys for all the congratulations! 

The only thing I just realized is that I may have messed up my unemployment by not going to work at the restaurant. I will have to call the state next week to be sure but I signed my full time job offer today and decided I didn’t need the part time job since my new job starts at the end of the month. But since I filled out my onboarding paperwork (I did this before the job offers came through) I was reported as a new hire and now it will look like I quit a job, which will mean my claim could be flagged. So I may be screwing myself out of my last few weeks of unemployment even though I technically didn’t refuse an offer this week since I signed my letter for the full time job today. 

I only decided not to work the part time job because I knew I’d be taking training and then quitting in two weeks but I guess the state is actually going to frown on my decision. If the offer had never come happened I would have gone to the restaurant and worked there until something came up. I guess everything happened all at once and I didn’t even realize the impact this could have on my claim until now. 

Honestly. Ugh. There is always a wrinkle. I don’t know what to do. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2

Gripe: When a person is forced to zip their lips. That is all.

Unrelated, I’m semi-retiring. It feels good, weird, and scary. I’m good with it being semi, though. I have never burned bridges, and don’t plan to do that now.

• Like 7

I'm counting the minutes until I qualify for a full pension. 10 months, 1 week. As soon as possible after that, I'm gone. It isn't that I hate my job--it's a good job, a good salary, a good place to work--but I'm so tired of the unending angst over the budget, enrollment, legislature, governor, the newest buzz words that are really the same idea with a different name, etc. I do worry about supporting my cat on a reduced income.

• Like 9