Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I am a government employee with good benefits and I am dipping my feet into the job market after 11 years. My workplace has just gotten too toxic and is having an adverse effect on my mental health. The final straw is when my director told me I chose my baby over my career and that is why I am not advancing. I complained to HR and although she admitted to saying it, they still informed me that they would take no action against her with no explanation why. My director is hated both internally and externally but her bosses and HR seem to be digging in their heels to protect her—so  I am just done. I am so nervous about starting over again after 11 years, but excited to try something different and hoping to find something less mentally draining.

Good luck to you!

• Like 3
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

The final straw is when my director told me I chose my baby over my career and that is why I am not advancing. I complained to HR and although she admitted to saying it, they still informed me that they would take no action against her with no explanation why. My director is hated both internally and externally but her bosses and HR seem to be digging in their heels to protect her—so  I am just done.

That's horrible!  You could sue those jerks for that if you have it recorded!  The woman had the nerve to admit it!  

Reminds me of when Bitcheroo told me (in front of my immediate supervisor no less) that I wasn't allowed to have ideas!  

Speaking of, we got called into a meeting - good news - that according to a study by corporate, our station ranks 52% as the channel locals prefer.  Pretty good when you consider the market (2 million people) and the the competition were ranked as 14%, 15%, and 17%.  Naturally, this was a meeting that could have been summarized in an email.  Bitcheroo was busy holding up the numbers on pieces of paper and nodding because she thinks that makes her a useful prop.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I’ve never been a supervisor or laid anyone off, but I also feel bad for both of you. The guilt of letting someone go right before Christmas for no reason other than budget cuts has got to sting too for any person of decent moral character. Its just an extremely crappy situation all around. Yes, she has her home and bills paid, but she also has to live with knowing she caused people financial hardship during the holiday season, even though she was just following orders.

Being somewhere in middle management and being told that YOU have to tell Bob that he is being terminated for no other reason that the company is reducing costs, is shitty.

Nobody ever taught you how to lay off somebody. That's not something they teach you in business school. It's not something they go over in training for your job. But it's somehow now your job to do. It wasn't your idea. But because he reports to you, it is now your responsibility to inform a person that they're out of work.

I imagine that the VAST majority of people given orders to inform an employee they are being let go say at least one or two things they shouldn't say. Something insensitive, or something stupid, is bound to come out of their mouths. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Nobody ever taught you how to lay off somebody. That's not something they teach you in business school. It's not something they go over in training for your job. But it's somehow now your job to do. It wasn't your idea. But because he reports to you, it is now your responsibility to inform a person that they're out of work.

Yep, and it sucks.  Not as much as being the one laid off, of course, but it's hard; you hate having to do it, but you also feel bad that it's being done, period.  If saying so is making someone else's pain all about you, there really aren't any good alternatives, as saying nothing would come across as if you didn't care this is happening to the person.

Good luck in the job hunt, @AgentRXS; you have a tough job even in a healthy environment, so I hope you find something fulfilling but with less heartache.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I am very depressed. My best friend at my job was abruptly fired on Christmas Eve. In this case, the suits at work didn't even have the nerve to tell him. They just cut off his email and when he asked they asked for his personal email and emailed him a termination letter. No explanation was given.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 8

Rough end to the week yesterday. I barely got any responses to my applications the whole week and I have no interviews lined up for next week either. I was hoping to head into this coming Monday with at least one interview, and I expect a lot of myself in general, so I consider this a disappointment. I hate now being unemployed tanks your self esteem, at least it does mine. I cried two or three times yesterday wondering why this happens to me and why I can’t get a career going but all my peers have no problems.

I wish I had listened to my 13-year-old self and gone to cosmetology school when I had the chance. Of course, that’s overpriced for what you make when you get out and once I was no longer 13 I realized I sucked at customer service. 😂 So that’s why I don’t do that. But in all seriousness I don’t see my stylist losing her job or taking an income hit. People are still getting their hair done in a recession.

Hopefully the coming week brings better outcomes and some interview invites. And I’m waiting to see if I get to the third round of interviews with one company. I have had two other rejections, one after the recruiter screen and the other after a second round interview. I am going to start applying for survival jobs in the meantime and dumb down my experience I guess so I can hopefully get some income coming in, as I’m still not being paid unemployment. (I’m in PA, our system is badly broken and people wait weeks and months for unemployment payments. It’s dire.) 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I have had two other rejections, one after the recruiter screen and the other after a second round interview.

I know it's difficult, but try thinking of it as not being the one selected rather than being rejected; it sounds like splitting hairs, but it really is two different things in terms of the impressions and motivations of the person on the other end.  Especially where you got to a second interview; you were one of the few they were interested enough in to spend that second chunk of time with.  There are so many applicants for each position, it doesn't speak poorly of you to fall off the list somewhere in the process.  But I know it makes you feel bad.

I hope you can pick up a survival job in the interim, as not having financial doom hanging right over your head will alleviate some stress.  (And, hey, the bright side about those jobs sucking is people are always leaving them, so there are openings.  But employers impose ridiculous hoops even for those, so it can be a slog -- here's wishing you something speedy as a temporary fix.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Rough end to the week yesterday. I barely got any responses to my applications the whole week and I have no interviews lined up for next week either. I was hoping to head into this coming Monday with at least one interview, and I expect a lot of myself in general, so I consider this a disappointment.

As a retired headhunter, I can tell you definitively that between December 15th and January 15th very little interviewing or hiring goes on. So its NOT you!! I know not having income coming in is enormously distressing so I hope you can find at least a temp job very soon, but do expect things to pick up in terms of interviewing for a job you would really want in the next few weeks.

Clearly I don't know anything about how you are applying, but I always tell people that are laid off that their new job is applying for jobs, so if you are serious about getting back to work, this is a full time (i.e. at least half a day every day, and more if you can) enterprise. Get lots and lots of resumes out there or whatever is most appropriate for you. Notify every single person you know (yes, everyone!) that you are looking. Volume can be key! Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

As a retired headhunter, I can tell you definitively that between December 15th and January 15th very little interviewing or hiring goes on. So its NOT you!! I know not having income coming in is enormously distressing so I hope you can find at least a temp job very soon, but do expect things to pick up in terms of interviewing for a job you would really want in the next few weeks.

Clearly I don't know anything about how you are applying, but I always tell people that are laid off that their new job is applying for jobs, so if you are serious about getting back to work, this is a full time (i.e. at least half a day every day, and more if you can) enterprise. Get lots and lots of resumes out there or whatever is most appropriate for you. Notify every single person you know (yes, everyone!) that you are looking. Volume can be key! Good luck!

Your first paragraph is very reassuring! I was a little worried that maybe I just have a bad resume or something but I’ll let more time pass before I consider that as an issue. (I had someone look at it last year, but even after making changes, it still took a few more months for me to get a job offer.) 

I do still try to keep a “work schedule” and work on applications and searching between 9-5 or 5:30 on weekdays. I don’t apply on weekends unless I miss time during the week because I want to still make time for mindless TV and hobbies, as well as just recover from the grind. (I take a lunch break during the week too!) Now that people are back from the holidays, I will up my LinkedIn outreach as well. 

Some people I know are not terribly helpful about job searching but I do at least know a few people who know what I want and will keep an eye out. Last week my well meaning but clueless friend sent me an admin job that paid $16 an hour and would require a 40-mile round trip commute. I don’t think she realized that I’d basically be eating the check in gas costs. 

On 1/7/2023 at 2:06 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I was a little worried that maybe I just have a bad resume or something but I’ll let more time pass before I consider that as an issue. (I had someone look at it last year, but even after making changes, it still took a few more months for me to get a job offer.) 

Since I just had surgery (recovering well...not to worry) I am stuck at home for the next week with little to do so I volunteer, if you like, to review your resume from the perspective of someone who was a rather successful headhunter (if I don't say so myself 😸 ) for forty years. I have no idea how you can contact me directly but please do so if I can be of help! As I recall you said you were in the recruitment field so if you are still looking for jobs in this arena, perhaps I'll have some suggestions. (I assume there is some way to ping people through Primetimer that doesn't show up in a forum...and I can send you my email.)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

I assume there is some way to ping people through Primetimer that doesn't show up in a forum...and I can send you my email.

Hover over the user's name/icon next to the post, and you should get a pop up. Click on the Message button and you can send a private message directly to that member.

image.png.5d659bc2f7bdd9b0d8bb8c301932a39a.png

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 1

Finally…scheduled two interviews for next week. One is with a local law firm for a legal assistant role and the other is with a radio station for a multimedia advertising sales job. I know the two jobs couldn’t be any more different, but I was a legal assistant a few years back and enjoyed the work, and at least I was able to work at a second firm, even if it was in the recruiting function and I was only there for a few months. I guess my resume isn’t too terrible after all…

As far as the sales job, I do have some customer service experience and had a seasonal fundraising job for four summers. The training program seems solid and there would be no sales expected of me for the first three months. Ultimately, I would prefer the law firm role but if the sales job is what I get offered…well I need to start making money again and it would be low pressure for a while. Unfortunately I don’t get to be too picky while collecting unemployment. 

As much as I’d love to keep working in the recruiting or HR realm, I’m struggling to even get interviews for roles related to the job I just had. Even though the layoff wasn’t my fault, I think having only four months of experience is setting me back compared to candidates who have more. And with all the layoffs going on I can pretty much guarantee there’s a ton of competition. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2

Just found out my former (and best) News Director just died!

He was the one who held the position longest at the station - 10 years (before him NDs lasted about a year!) and helped make our station the ratings powerhouse it is today.  He was unceremoniously dumped when there was a change in management.  He was also the one who favored me to be Assistant News Director (until Bitcheroo took it after he'd left).  Scarier still was that he was only 62!  

• Sad 12

Found this article on current interviewing processes and just how ridiculous things are getting: 

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2023/1/12/23546379/job-interviewing-applying-exhausting-tests-employment

I remember even when I was job hunting last year while I was employed how absurd some employers were acting. I had four rounds with one company (recruiter, plus three team members on individual calls) only to be ghosted, and another employer who expected me to go through five rounds of interviews, including preparing a writing sample and meeting with the hiring manager to get feedback. 

As far as my status, the two interviews I have for next week are still on but I haven’t gotten any other calls yet. I got rejected from a retail job though even though “everyone” is hiring. That’s comforting. 

• Mind Blown 1

I’m pretty happy at my job, but why are some folks so two-faced? I have this one coworker who has talked a lot of trash about another one, yet he’ll go linger at this man’s desk and chit chat like they’re best friends. It’s not the first time I’ve seen stuff like this. If I don’t like someone, I will either do my best to avoid them or only speak with them if they approach me. I don’t seek them out for non-work related conversation. 

• Like 3

January starts year 3 of my job hunt. Everyone I know who has been looking has found one or more new jobs, been promoted, etc... since I started looking. 

I'm so defeated and have no mental energy to "keep clapping". Just over it. When will it be my turn?! What job gods do I need to make an offering to? Something has got to give. And I do not want advice. My resume has been reviewed, my interviews have positive feedback.  I'm just venting.

• Hugs 13

Feeling slightly less anxious about the big city/hybrid job interview today although not by much. The final round is tentatively scheduled for this coming Thursday and I’m awaiting the exact time and the names of the interviewers, which I should know on Tuesday. I’m nervous because of the length of the interview (about two hours) and how much taking this job will change my life should it be offered to me. A long commute in the short term and relocation to a huge city in the long term still seems so daunting. I’m panicked about leaving behind my family who is still local, the family pets, and my church community. 

I still just have a bad feeling overall and I keep trying to tell myself it will be fine; I’m just nervous and this is how you grow a career. Usually though bad feelings don’t fade for me. I do have two interviews scheduled locally next week and have an initial call for a remote job as well so this big city job isn’t the be all end all. 

@theredhead77Sorry you’re still struggling. My job hunt before this one was 10 months, and I definitely felt the disappointment of wondering why everyone else was getting cool new jobs and promotions but me, especially in the “hot” job market. I hope something goes better for you soon. Sometimes I too get tired of all the advice well meaning people give that actually isn’t helpful. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I still just have a bad feeling overall and I keep trying to tell myself it will be fine; I’m just nervous and this is how you grow a career. Usually though bad feelings don’t fade for me. I do have two interviews scheduled locally next week and have an initial call for a remote job as well so this big city job isn’t the be all end all.

Trust your gut. There have been two times in my life when I accepted a job despite having a bad feeling about it - once early in my career, when I didn't have any other options, the second time much later in my career when a company offered me a huge salary bump but I didn't like the people with whom I'd interviewed - and both times I ended up being absolutely miserable.

11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Trust your gut. There have been two times in my life when I accepted a job despite having a bad feeling about it - once early in my career, when I didn't have any other options, the second time much later in my career when a company offered me a huge salary bump but I didn't like the people with whom I'd interviewed - and both times I ended up being absolutely miserable.

If I had never been laid off I wouldn’t even be interviewing with this firm. Not as if I wanted to start anew when I only was just starting a job this past August only to lose it last month. Looking at being the newbie again sucks. I’m secretly hoping one of the local jobs pans out since the apartment I was supposed to move into is still available (the church that owns it didn’t rent it to anyone else yet and they didn’t advertise it to begin with) and I know I would have so much more space and quiet that I won’t get if I have to relocate to NYC in my mid 30s. Unless I could live in a quiet area of Long Island like my older sister does now. Her neighborhood is so peaceful but there’s also great restaurants and shops nearby. 

I feel like I’m being such a child about this, especially since being out of work means I will likely take the first satisfactory offer I get. Weirdly enough, I was nervous about taking the job I got in August, figured it was just nerves and lo and behold I got laid off. And that was even considering I ended up liking my boss and the work… 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Hugs 2

Had my first interview of the week today for a legal assistant position. I think I would like the work and the team but the benefits are just so so (no PTO for six months, only one week vacation the first year). They are interviewing for the rest of the week and into next week so I probably won’t hear anything for at least a week and a half-ish. Moving on from that…

Tomorrow I have a video call for an initial interview for a talent acquisition position. Then Wednesday I have an interview for a radio ad sales job, and Thursday, I’m interviewing for the New York job in the city. I’m still not feeling that job but know I may not have a choice when this crop of interviews finishes. I have applied for survival jobs to try to get income coming in and no bites. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

One of my daughters has been offered a position at a place that offers care from independent living, to skilled nursing at one location. She said it was like stepping onto a cruise ship. I asked if employee’s parents get a discount. 😁

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 5

I booked another interview today that I’m excited about. It’s an admissions job at a local college and I really think I would enjoy working there. I have family who went there and had great experiences and it has a solid reputation in the area. The interview is next week.

I posted this in another thread but I’m very hesitant about this job in New York. I got my schedule for the interview today and about half the people I’m meeting will be on video, but the employer still expects me to come to the office. So I’ll only be meeting about half the interviewers in person and will have to do one set of interviews on a video call because the other people are in different time zones and offices. Which is OK but…there is a more efficient way of doing this? Like just have a video call and have people log in and out? I kind of feel like they don’t care much about my time to have me come spend an hour in their office on a video call.

They also want me to print three copies of my resume and bring it in case it’s asked for. They can’t print it themselves? What year is it? I went to an interview yesterday and my interviewers had already printed my resume. This employer just seems very stuck in the past or rigid or something. I really hope I can get an offer elsewhere at this point.  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Remember that you are interviewing them as well.  Even if they offer you the job, you are not obligated to accept.

Not accepting can cause someone to lose their unemployment benefits, though.  However, not if there was good cause to decline the offer.  Rules vary by state, but here distance from home is specifically listed as a factor that will be considered in evaluating good cause.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

They also want me to print three copies of my resume and bring it in case it’s asked for. They can’t print it themselves? What year is it? I went to an interview yesterday and my interviewers had already printed my resume.

When I was interviewing in person, I always brought several additional copies of my resume. It's polite and professional. What if someone is added to the interview and doesn't have a copy of your resume already? It's really not a big deal.

• Like 11
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not accepting can cause someone to lose their unemployment benefits, though.  However, not if there was good cause to decline the offer.  Rules vary by state, but here distance from home is specifically listed as a factor that will be considered in evaluating good cause.

PA’s definition of suitable work is any work you are capable of performing, but they do also consider the distance from your home in that definition. If I took this job (assuming it were offered to me), it would be about 120 miles from the bus pickup at home to the station at the dropoff point. I don’t know what PA’s mileage cap is in determining commuting distance but I imagine I’d have a case to say it wasn’t suitable work.

Of course if they don’t offer me the job, none of this matters.

I have another interview tomorrow and one scheduled for next week (on top of the ones I had today and yesterday) and I have two one-way video assessments to get done. I think I will hopefully have enough options and I’m crossing my fingers I can do well enough to be able to choose between offers. 

• Like 3

So found out this afternoon that an eighth person was added to my interview panel for tomorrow and it seems like a tad…much for my level of work. (This is a lower level coordinator role and I won’t be supervising anyone.) I am going to go to the interview and think about it over the weekend (even if they make a fast decision and send an offer on Friday I can ask for time) and this gives me a chance to test the commute out and see how it makes me feel. 

I just wonder if they felt the need to add an eighth person is it a red flag that they have trouble making decisions. Will they need a ninth person? It seems so off to me. Although I know in some jobs it’s normal I guess. 

I had an interview today for a media sales job that seemed to go well. The hiring manager is looking for 2-3 candidates and he’s worked in sales his whole career so I’m sure he knows what he wants. That was a one-interview deal. Then I have an interview next week and did two one-way video interviews (you record your answers; no interviewer on the other end) today as well. So I have options hopefully! I just hate being out of work..  

• Useful 1

I just wonder if they felt the need to add an eighth person is it a red flag that they have trouble making decisions.

The bigger red flag is the inefficient use of resources, IMO. The time that each of those eight people spends on your interview is time that they don't spend doing their actual jobs. With the economy being what it is, and you just having gone through a layoff, that's definitely something to consider.

Having said all of that, I think that for now you should just focus on having a good interview. You can worry about all the other stuff if you get the offer.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The bigger red flag is the inefficient use of resources, IMO. The time that each of those eight people spends on your interview is time that they don't spend doing their actual jobs. With the economy being what it is, and you just having gone through a layoff, that's definitely something to consider.

Having said all of that, I think that for now you should just focus on having a good interview. You can worry about all the other stuff if you get the offer.

Thanks. Yeah. The good thing is that by the time the interview wraps it will be late afternoon and then the next day is Friday. Even if they do make a decision and get an offer letter out that quickly (and offer it to me; I don’t know how many finalists they have) I can take the weekend to reflect on it. So hopefully no pressure to make a decision. 

I don’t think I am going to get an offer from the NYC job and that’s OK with me. Even for not driving for the commute, getting up at 5 am (to get ready and get down to the bus), riding in and then going home at the end of the day…no. Even if it’s only temporary I don’t want to be up at 5 am to get home after 9 pm. If the firm were closer to me or I knew I were relocating really soon (and I can’t plan an out-of-state move at the moment since I STILL haven’t received unemployment I qualify for) then I’d love the job since it seems like a decent team. 

The employer has been trying to fill the job for “a while” (their words, not mine) and have more people to see next week anyway. I would bet either they’re waiting on a unicorn and/or their unwillingness to bend on the three days in office requirement is hurting them. So, no more interviews in NYC for me unless the employer is willing to do video interviews and/or they have less hybrid expectations. I can’t afford to buy another bus ticket anyway. 

I’m calling my state rep on Monday to try and get my unemployment expedited. A lot of people have had to do that to get their benefits payments unfortunately because PA never really recovered from pandemic unemployment and the system is a mess. My mom lost her job last year and calling our state rep got her the back pay within two days. I’m so disappointed in my state that they can’t even get people who deserve unemployment their payments in a timely manner and leave us to suffer for weeks and months. It’s been six weeks since my layoff and my severance is basically gone. I can’t wait any longer or bills will start going unpaid.

I have two local interviews next week. With all the interviews I’ve scheduled this past week and for next, something has to come from it. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I don’t think I am going to get an offer from the NYC job and that’s OK with me. Even for not driving for the commute, getting up at 5 am (to get ready and get down to the bus), riding in and then going home at the end of the day…no. Even if it’s only temporary I don’t want to be up at 5 am to get home after 9 pm. If the firm were closer to me or I knew I were relocating really soon (and I can’t plan an out-of-state move at the moment since I STILL haven’t received unemployment I qualify for) then I’d love the job since it seems like a decent team. 

The employer has been trying to fill the job for “a while” (their words, not mine) and have more people to see next week anyway. I would bet either they’re waiting on a unicorn and/or their unwillingness to bend on the three days in office requirement is hurting them. So, no more interviews in NYC for me unless the employer is willing to do video interviews and/or they have less hybrid expectations. I can’t afford to buy another bus ticket anyway. 

I’m calling my state rep on Monday to try and get my unemployment expedited. A lot of people have had to do that to get their benefits payments unfortunately because PA never really recovered from pandemic unemployment and the system is a mess. My mom lost her job last year and calling our state rep got her the back pay within two days. I’m so disappointed in my state that they can’t even get people who deserve unemployment their payments in a timely manner and leave us to suffer for weeks and months. It’s been six weeks since my layoff and my severance is basically gone. I can’t wait any longer or bills will start going unpaid.

I have two local interviews next week. With all the interviews I’ve scheduled this past week and for next, something has to come from it. 

I would not take the job. The commute is brutal. Not worth it.

NYC rents are at all time high. Even a room will be $1000-1500… 

Unless the job pays $100,000 I would say no. 

Speaking as a life long NY resident.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I suspect that they liked you but the commute is causing them as much trepidation as its causing you.

As someone who has been on the hiring side.  If you are interviewing for a job with a long commute you have to overcome what the the person hiring would feel about having a long commute themselves.  If they would not be willing to do it or do it and hate it, they'll assume you won't be willing to do it for long no matter what you say to them. 

No one wants to hire someone they think will just be biding time until the get a better (shorter commute) offer just to have to start hiring all over again because bringing on a new employee comes with extra work that they'd rather not have to repeat.

And they are probably not in a place to bend on the 3 days per week.  That probably came from top down and has a significant amount of disgruntlement from the people they pushed it down onto.   Making exceptions in that type of an environment creates too much trouble amongst everyone else.  A company might make that type of exception for their highest, indispensable performer who has a good reason for needing the exception.  They aren't going to consider it for a new hire.

• Like 9

Yeah, if someone was planning to commute rather than relocate, I'd figure the person who'd have to spend five hours per day on the road was never going to stick with the job, no matter how good a fit otherwise.  And with good reason -- that's a ridiculously-long commute (and I live in Los Angeles, where insane commute times are considered normal [but I have a strict 30-minute limit; I've been able to work from home for many years, but if that ever changes the cap will remain in effect).  If I was really interested in them, I'd drill down hard on relocation; like you said, the commute time causes as much hesitation on the hiring end as it does in the candidate.

I definitely don’t blame the hiring manager for the office policy. She probably didn’t decide on it. I knew they wouldn’t make an exception for me when they had someone move away to a city where they didn’t have an office and she wasn’t able to work remotely. 

The commute would probably be a bit easier to take if I had a definite relocation date pinned down or had family already offer for me to stay with them. 

Anyway it’s a moot point for now. I have an interview for a local job this week that I’m excited about. :) Time to focus on other things. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I definitely don’t blame the hiring manager for the office policy. She probably didn’t decide on it. I knew they wouldn’t make an exception for me when they had someone move away to a city where they didn’t have an office and she wasn’t able to work remotely. 

The commute would probably be a bit easier to take if I had a definite relocation date pinned down or had family already offer for me to stay with them. 

Anyway it’s a moot point for now. I have an interview for a local job this week that I’m excited about. :) Time to focus on other things. 

That's wonderful! Wish you all the best with your interview. :)

This isn't really venting because I am SO THRILLED AND DOING THE HAPPY DANCE! Why? Because one of my favorite lawyers--who had left the firm to work at DOJ-nearly three years ago--returned to the firm today!

One of the other partners had told a couple of us paralegals that he was coming back, but I thought he was just messing with us. But he wasn't!

This attorney was one of the group that interviewed me and pushed to hire me. We had a great working relationship and I've missed him and working with him.

He's back and I'm happy!

• Like 6
  • Applause 9
  • Love 2

Officially got rejected from the NYC job today. I was expecting it so not too upset. On the upside, I did get another phone interview for Thursday for a job at a health insurance company that helps people find the plan that’s best for them. It’s not the most glamorous job but it is probably recession proof and something everyone needs.

I did call my state rep today about my unemployment payments and his staffer took all my info and said if I don’t hear from him or unemployment on Wednesday to call him again. PA is so backwards and the system is wronging so many. I’ve read stories about people being unable to pay bills and such since their claims are so held up and I am terrified for next month. I’m barely paying my phone bill and Internet (need those so I can job hunt) as it is. 

Oh and someone in one of my writing groups told me today that I have a bad attitude and I’m making excuses and it’s going to show in interviews. She was ripping me to shreds for not having someone review my resume, not asking for interview coaching/tips because she coached someone else in the group on interviews, and she was riding me for not watching continuing education videos or upskilling. I checked my application to interview stats and I’ve gotten interviews from about 8% of my apps and had two second rounds and one third round interview. My stats could be a little better but considering the job climate I’m not doing terrible I don’t think! 

Needless to say this person’s speech was not the inspirational pick me up for me to get out and conquer the world. Like the audacity to accuse someone who hasn’t had income in a month and is paying medical expenses out of pocket of having a bad attitude for not watching YouTube videos to learn skills. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

She was ripping me to shreds for not having someone review my resume, not asking for interview coaching/tips because she coached someone else in the group on interviews, and she was riding me for not watching continuing education videos or upskilling.

I'm starting to think you need to be more selective with the online groups you're participating in. Between the weird fandom groups and now this, this can't be good for your mental health.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
32 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I'm starting to think you need to be more selective with the online groups you're participating in. Between the weird fandom groups and now this, this can't be good for your mental health.

You’re right. Although before this incident, the writing group was fine and no one ever gave me a problem. (One person even beta read a fanfic for me and was really kind and helpful.) I don’t know if someone just felt a need to prove they were superior to me or if she was having a bad day herself or what was going on. It just came out of nowhere. 

• Sad 1

Response from Chit Chat, which is more appropriate here:

With the contract job I had before I landed my dream job (really, I work for a firm that has been so supportive and accommodating during the pandemic and even has let us work a hybrid schedule now-I only go in two days a week, and there are a couple of partners who are just the best), I was hoping to make that permanent. And had my head hunter not left the agency halfway through my tenure, I know she would have fought to get me a good deal and offer. But she had left and the owner of the agency took over, and he was so passive and did shit all. But we started out with four temps--two left suddenly; the third was actually a temp to perm person and who I reported to, but something happened and they let her go and the general counsel put me in her position. Which led to more responsibilities and working on more substantive assignments. And an increase in the hourly pay. It wasn't much to begin with, but the extra $2 helped.

Then they hired another VP, who decided to bring her own assistant, so my contract ended. No regrets as the new VP was a moron and her assistant thought she knew everything, yet continued to email me after I had left to ask how to do the job I had been informed she knew more than me. I had my pride and only responded to ask the other support staff as I was no longer there.

Hey, you want my help? Then PAY me.

But during the contract work, I was applying, applying, applying and went to interviews. I think I mentioned this pages back last year. And ironically, I got my current job on my own.

I know how hard this is for you, @Cloud9Shopper, because I've been there.

The people here were a great source of moral support as I lived (and still live) alone--I was depressed, couldn't understand why it was so difficult to find a job. There were times I thought I'd be kicked to the streets and lose my home. I HATED having to ask my parents for financial help. 

And after I'd been with my firm for two years, now I'm flooded with messages from recruiters about my "great and vast experience" and they have the PERFECT job for me. Oh yeah? Where were they when I was desperately looking a few years ago?  I don't bother responding.

Is my job perfect? No. I'm no longer in the "honeymoon" period, and have to deal with attorneys who have shit for brains, which makes my job more challenging. But the good totally overweighs the irritating.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 8
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Is my job perfect? No. I'm no longer in the "honeymoon" period, and have to deal with attorneys who have shit for brains, which makes my job more challenging. But the good totally overweighs the irritating.

This reminds me of the old saying:  "employers are not your friends". 

I've been lucky in where I work but others have not been so fortunate.  Recently a work colleague came back after being off on long term disability for over a year.  Within a few weeks she was fired - well they use the weasel words that mean fired but sound better.  Essentially though they had  no control over her long term disability and I guess you can't let someone go while they are off but they were just biding their time until she came back.   So anyway yeah take what is good about a job and enjoy it but never lose sight of the reality that you are never indispensible.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 4

Have a couple more phone calls scheduled for next week and an in-person interview for the lower paying nonprofit job. It turns out someone I worked with ages ago works at the nonprofit now (I did not know this before I applied; we talk occasionally but aren’t close friends or anything) and he put in a word for me. It makes me feel almost guilty for knowing that if I take the job I will have one eye out for something better paying. But it has to get offered to me first so we’ll see what happens. I’m also waiting for confirmation of a second interview for a remote job that has better pay and good benefits, although that job wouldn’t start until late March. 

I am not expecting any job to be 100% perfect. I know by now that every job has at least one annoying coworker or tasks to do that are less than exciting. I just want to not get stuck in a $35,000 a year job for too long (if that’s what happens) so I don’t stagnate salary and career wise. Hopefully I get an offer at some point in the next couple weeks…I’ve certainly had a ton of interviews and am still booking them… 

• Like 2

One of my daughters had an interview recently. She was hired on the spot. After she accepted, the doctor told her he knew he was going to hire her as soon as they shook hands upon meeting. Go figure.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

One of my daughters had an interview recently. She was hired on the spot. After she accepted, the doctor told her he knew he was going to hire her as soon as they shook hands upon meeting. Go figure.

Congratulations to your daughter!

As someone who's interviewed a lot of people, I have also developed this kind of intuition. I can usually tell from the first five minutes of the interview whether I'll give the candidate a "thumbs up." I can't make the hire decision unilaterally though, so there are still situations where someone did great in my portion of the interview but failed to impress some of the other interviewers.

• Like 3

I hate when employers require personality assessments before you even get an interview and can reject you based on the results. I just did one for a job that asked me what I do when the clocks in my house have different times on them (either it doesn’t bother me or I correct them). At the end of the lengthy test there was a survey that asked what my current employment status is, how long I’d been looking for a job, if I felt positive, negative or neutral about the job market based on COVID and economic conditions; and what kind of interest I’d been getting from other employers. I don’t think I’d ever used the “prefer not to say” option so much. 

I’m sorry but I don’t think a potential employer needs to know know that much before even talking to me, or even at all. It felt super invasive for some reason. I won’t be too sad if that employer doesn’t call, needless to say. Like it’s really not your business how long I’ve been looking for a job. I was also afraid they’d screen me out for being out of work/not even consider I could be laid off through no fault of my own. If assessments have to be used then they should be strictly skills based or the employer can create a job simulation and ask how employees would handle possible job situations. That says a lot more about my fit for the job than how I set the clocks in my house. 

I am getting burned out on this process and can’t wait until it’s over. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I just did one for a job that asked me what I do when the clocks in my house have different times on them

????? What is THAT going to tell them? Btw., my clocks are set differently on purpose. Now that would throw them a curveball! 😄

But, invasive and NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS would be my choices for answers too.

• Applause 3
3 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I hate when employers require personality assessments before you even get an interview and can reject you based on the results. I just did one for a job that asked me what I do when the clocks in my house have different times on them (either it doesn’t bother me or I correct them). At the end of the lengthy test there was a survey that asked what my current employment status is, how long I’d been looking for a job, if I felt positive, negative or neutral about the job market based on COVID and economic conditions; and what kind of interest I’d been getting from other employers. I don’t think I’d ever used the “prefer not to say” option so much. 

I’m sorry but I don’t think a potential employer needs to know know that much before even talking to me, or even at all. It felt super invasive for some reason. I won’t be too sad if that employer doesn’t call, needless to say. Like it’s really not your business how long I’ve been looking for a job. I was also afraid they’d screen me out for being out of work/not even consider I could be laid off through no fault of my own. If assessments have to be used then they should be strictly skills based or the employer can create a job simulation and ask how employees would handle possible job situations. That says a lot more about my fit for the job than how I set the clocks in my house. 

I am getting burned out on this process and can’t wait until it’s over. 

Those personality assessments are such bullshit. What's to stop someone from lying? 

• Applause 4