Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Novel Approach

Well, that was interesting.  Dylan O'Brien gives an advanced course in nonverbal acting.  Is this the first time Stiles has directly killed someone?  He played the traumatic reaction really well.

Kira / Scott melodrama was yawn-worthy.  I hope one of the intelligent members of the pack (i.e., not those two) figures out that Theo led them to Eichen House AND that he knew when they were coming, therefore he's working with the Doctors. 

Speaking of Theo, he couldn't have been more transparent hitting on Malia.  I really hope she just tells him to piss off.  We've got enough going on this season that we don't need a pointless love triangle to get in the way.  Maybe she'll be the one to piece together Theo's part in tonight's attack.

Malia actually read the whole book, so I thought her freak-out was going to be Doctor related, but no, more of the  Desert Wolf teasing.  Whatever.

Again I have to admire the show-runner's respect for continuity.  Something the kids did back in Season 3 is still causing problems.

• Love 5

This was my favorite episode this season.

Poor Stiles. There is no way he is going to take killing Donovan well. It was self-defense, and frankly, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened to him earlier in the series being only human. I'm glad we saw him wincing but I'm sort of surprised we didn't see the wound ever.

Finally! Electric Kira! I'm glad the showrunner remembered her actual supernatural power beyond waving a sword around. And real consequences of her and Scott being together with him struggling to save her (a theme with Scott having star-crossed lovers, first Allison the hunter and then Kira the fox). I wonder what she was saying in her sleep. I also liked Kira asking about Lydia-obsessed-Stiles. I sort of forgot about how different they used to be and how Kira wouldn't have known. It was a nice callback to season one and two Stiles and Lydia.

Didn't care for Malia or Theo. I like Malia, I just wish the story had stayed at Eichen the entire time.

Wonder where Peter got shipped off to. Could you imagine Derrick's reaction to them choosing to go to Eichen House? And where were the adults tonight? You know Sheriff would have been all over Stiles when he heard about that call to the school.

Well, that was interesting.  Dylan O'Brien gives an advanced course in nonverbal acting.  Is this the first time Stiles has directly killed someone?  He played the traumatic reaction really well.

Yeah tonight's episode was totally Dylan's moment to shine. I loved it when he was just in his jeep quietly freaking out staring at his bloody left hand and trying to keep his shaking right hand still. MTV had better be thanking whatever gods they worship that he's sticking around for another season.

• Love 4
(edited)

Dylan O'Brien is the only male actor on this show that you could give that cold open to. Any of the others would have made a mess of it. I wouldn't say that Dylan gave an advanced class in nonverbal acting because Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys killed in the tooth removal scene from The Americans. That was a master class and a tour de force. However Dylan's no slouch for an actor of his age.

The rest... meh.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

Loved the ep. O'Brien is a treasure, Kira got to be useful (I still hate her but yay for short circuits), Creepy Orderly was Creepy (was dying for him to ask the doctors to put their stuff in a box but he just cowered), Valack was yummy. Scott was denser than my aunt's fudge cake, especially with respect to the one relationship in his life that really matters: with Stiles.

Not enough Parrish or flames and way too many clothes. The back of his SUV must be a forensic dream-house. If Lydia was compromised by the Dreadlocked Docs, then Parrish probably was too. I was hoping for the bad guy to be the Nemeton not the Dreaddies. Stumpie better speaks to my aesthetic. What can I say.

Still liking Malia (omg, I can't believe that) and Theo better stick around and continue to do eeeeeevil.

• Love 1

That was a good episode. I also think Malia/Theo should have been saved for another episode, but I guess they wanted a break from what was going on at Eichen House. I'm also guessing that Malia flashing back to the car accident might have partially to do with the Dredd Doctors. She did come into brief contact with them when she was trying to save Tracy, after all. So I imagine between her and Lydia, they'll get the answers that they need. 

Dylan O'Brien killed his scenes, as usual. I was kind of hoping he would tell Scott, but I can also see why. Plus, Lydia knows something is up so she'll get the truth out of him eventually. 

I'm glad we got to see Kira actually using her powers, even if she couldn't control them. It was kind of cute to see Scott carrying Kira out while his skin was burning. A little creepy too, but also kind of cute. Also, I laughed at the scenes with Tyler and his dad, especially with his dad's character bolting out of there and Scott giving him an 'are you kidding me' look.

So, Valack is the new Peter, right? Creepy evil guy who comes in once in a blue moon to spout off information, then he shadily does stuff for himself. 

I'll be honest, I wanted more Parrish.

I'm sorry, I couldn't pay attention to the plot because my eye was so focused on all of that bright pink blush the girls were wearing.  Is this the latest trend in make-up?  To look like a clown?  I don't like, not at all.

Also, boo, Scott, lying to Kira will never work out well.  

(edited)

Decent episode, and Dylan acted the hell out of it. However, the show is really starting to annoy me with its main wolf pack keeping secrets from each other. This is what gets people in trouble and/or killed. First, Stiles does it by not talking to the others about parasite guy's death, and then Scott about what he saw when looking at Kira. Yeeesh.

I can sort of forgive Stiles since he feels responsible for the guy's death, and how Scott was going on about killing is never an option. (Whatever.) However, not only did he not intend to kill the guy, he couldn't have known his actions would have led to death. It's only exaggerated plot contrivance that it did. So instead of running to his friends or his dad for comfort and support, he runs to the clearboard planner of doom. ARG!

I realize there might not have been a lot of extra time, but I can't believe Scott was so wishy-washy about explaining what he saw with his wolf-ray eyes to Kira. Even if she didn't have the answers, maybe her mother would. It's just stupid to have kept that secret. But what was it that he saw? Did her fox morph into a wolf, or was it just more fully developed/solid?

Granted, I suppose all these secrets are what's going to break the pack, and that's what this season is a bout, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

ETA: Also liked the callbacks to the previous season/plot threads. We finally get some sort of payoff for that ley line report that Danny (*sigh*) was working on way back when.

Speaking of callbacks, I thought Mountain Ash stopped all supernatural creatures, and not just were-based ones. If so, how was Lydia able to go further than Scott/Kira? And how did they get all the supernatural creatures in their cells in the first place?

Edited by Richness
(edited)

Decent episode, and Dylan acted the hell out of it. However, the show is really starting to annoy me with its main wolf pack keeping secrets from each other. This is what gets people in trouble and/or killed. First, Stiles does it by not talking to the others about parasite guy's death, and then Scott about what he saw when looking at Kira. Yeeesh.

I can sort of forgive Stiles since he feels responsible for the guy's death, and how Scott was going on about killing is never an option. (Whatever.) However, not only did he not intend to kill the guy, he couldn't have known his actions would have led to death. It's only exaggerated plot contrivance that it did. So instead of running to his friends or his dad for comfort and support, he runs to the clearboard planner of doom. ARG!

I realize there might not have been a lot of extra time, but I can't believe Scott was so wishy-washy about explaining what he saw with his wolf-ray eyes to Kira. Even if she didn't have the answers, maybe her mother would. It's just stupid to have kept that secret. But what was it that he saw? Did her fox morph into a wolf, or was it just more fully developed/solid?

Granted, I suppose all these secrets are what's going to break the pack, and that's what this season is a bout, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

ETA: Also liked the callbacks to the previous season/plot threads. We finally get some sort of payoff for that ley line report that Danny (*sigh*) was working on way back when.

Speaking of callbacks, I thought Mountain Ash stopped all supernatural creatures, and not just were-based ones. If so, how was Lydia able to go further than Scott/Kira? And how did they get all the supernatural creatures in their cells in the first place?

My biggest issue with this episode is that they decided to go ask a guy about a book THEY DIDN'T READ. Was there some great urgency as to why they had to see him that very night ?

UGH

The Mountain Ash has never made much sense as Scott used to go into the vets office all the time which apparently had mountain ash protection.

Well one of the good good guys actually killed someone... and it was the HUMAN. *eye roll* You'd think with all the super power hijinks it would be one of the super powered teen that would have accidentally punched someone too hard in their supposed life and death battles.

I am left wondering what happened to Peter after that guy did his eye trick with him... Then what happened ?

I'm assuming all those security guards are dead because of Scott and his stupid pack. Also why didn't Malia and Stiles go together ?

Scott lying to his girlfriend was annoying and typical. Why deal with a problem when you can ignore it until it proves fatal for someone else.

Edited by wayne67

Yeah, this wasn't a bad episode but I found the lying to be both stupid and deplorable.  I'm hoping to blows up in both Scott and Stiles faces.  I understand why Stiles was upset but that guy's death was completely in self-defense and it was done in a way that Stiles couldn't have known that was the direct result.  I thought Scott would have learned from his father last season that sometimes you just can't avoid killing but he's still a judgmental little twit.  His lying to Kira and concealing that information is deplorable.

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't get why Scott lied to Kira, other than the script said so.  "What do you see?"  "I see your fox aura."  "Oh."  "What does that mean?" "I don't know, maybe I'll ask my mother next time she's guest starring".

Regarding the Mountain Ash, I don't think it applies to Lydia.  My evidence is sparse but I can fan-wank it:

1.  Several episodes have shown that you need a complete circuit of it for it to be affective.  The trim in Scott's house is mountain ash wood, but there's a gap at a door so he can enter freely.

2.  Werecreatures can't break a completed circuit, nor can they complete an open circuit.  Back when the Oni were attacking Scott and crew at his house, he said they had a security system, but he needed his mother to activate it.  When she showed up, she tossed the mountain ash across the door, sealing them in and the Oni out.

3.  At the lake, Lydia tossed her grandmother's alleged ashes at the open side of the boathouse, they fell into a line and she recognized what had happened.  So she's able to manipulate mountain ash like a human.

Lying to cause drama is a tv staple, that just makes everyone look like idiots. Kira was asking her boyfriend because she's probably worried that the Fox part is starting to take more control. And Scott thinks he's making her feel better by saying she's fine which is stupid because she's not fine. 

Stiles is only slightly more understandable because he's still freaking out over killing someone (even if it was in self defense). But he does have a girlfriend that killed her family by accident and would understand. Although now it looks like they are making the Desert Wolf the one that killed her family or I suppose injured them which caused Malia to turn and finish the job. I also guess we are now supposed to wonder if Malia's mother was trying to kill her. Then just like I figured, Stiles being too busy for Malia and maybe still trying to get with Lydia is causing Malia to turn to Theo. I wonder if the Dread Doctors want her being that she is half coyote and half wolf. 

What happened to Peter? I know they don't want to focus on the older crowd as much but it would be nice to hear what happened to them. 

The AV Club did a great review, talking about Stiles unnecessary and out-of-character guilt over what happened and poor decision making, along with Scott's inexplicable lying.  It's ridiculous that these characters should be keeping secrets from each other this many seasons in the the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I haven't really been following TW S05 so far but I was drawn in by this episode and its potential to kickstart a great storyline. 

Or at least I was captivated by the first 10 minutes before TW returned to its usual contrived tedious nonsense. 

I've been very bored of TW's repetitive use of cold opens in which anonymous teenagers are attacked by monsters. So it was a refreshing change to see an episode open with a main character who we actually care about on their own and in jeopardy. While there would obviously be no killing of Stiles it was again - REFRESHING to have to the consequences of Stiles having killed in self-defense and having to deal with a corpse. At first I really wanted to see Stiles cleaning up the gory scene and then taking Donovan's body off to bury in the woods. But then we had Stiles (still in shock) irrationally calling 911 and it felt like there was a chance for an even better storyline - Stiles being found by police at the scene where a boy (who had publicly threatened his father) is dead following a violent struggle. Without being able to explain the supernatural circumstances, Stiles could be suspected of outright murder, not self-defense. Especially if Theo whipped up some false evidence to suggest that Stiles was on the attack not Donovan. And if Dylan O'Brian could have continued to be entirely mute and traumatized during all of this, that would've made for a standout episode too.   

But no. Parrish took the damn body.

I guess it's been suggested that he's burning the bodies to destroy evidence of the supernatural world? I guess he's actually using Phoenixy powers to bring the dead kids back to life, right? (Ugh. I hate Parrish. Parrish actually makes me yearn to have Derek back and Derek was my least favourite character). Anyway. My fear now is that the issue of Stiles having killed Donovan (in blatant self defense), this issue that is clearly going to cause the upcoming Scott/Stiles rift - will eventually be undone because Parrish will use his powers to bring Donovan back to life.  

Which....UGH, I hope not. I badly want Donovan to stay dead and I want Scott to accept that there is such a thing as justifiable homicide. In S4 the writers wimped out on their hints that Scott might have to kill someone, simply by avoiding putting Scott in a situation where he must kill in self-defense or defense of his pack. That said, having Stiles be the one to kill is more fitting because Stiles has always been more willing to kill a dangerous monster for the greater good - Peter, Jackson, even himself when he was possessed. It could be a good development to have Stiles be the one to shift Scott's blind instance that they must not kill under any circumstances, self-defense included. What worries me is that the writers seem to be on Scott's side and desperate to keep the McCall pack pure - hence my fear that Stiles killing Donovan will be unwritten because the writers don't want blood (permanently) on Stiles hands. Despite the fact that Stiles was the victim of a violent attack and should not be vilified for having defended himself.

And yeah, as Saruka noted...looks like they may be unwriting Malia killing her family too.

So yeah, in conclusion - this is a potentially good storyline which will most likely be wasted. Let me know if any half-decent fanfic writers make better use of it. Also, may I ask - what is Dylan O'Brien still doing on this show? I'm getting kind of annoyed with this kid for wasting his time on TW when he's clearly got the talent (and following Maze Runner, the box office appeal) to leave the show for better things.          

Edited by Yitzhak
(edited)

The AV Club did a great review, talking about Stiles unnecessary and out-of-character guilt over what happened and poor decision making, along with Scott's inexplicable lying.  It's ridiculous that these characters should be keeping secrets from each other this many seasons in the the show.

I wouldn't say it is inexplicable or out of character for Stiles to lie (see...every episode of TW so far). Stiles has always been in favor of lying and keeping secrets, even from people he cares about like his dad and Malia. I think it's understandable that Stiles would have kept this from Scott, not only because of Scott's stance on killing, but because Stiles is still trying to figure out what happened to the body and is busy conducting his own Theo-mistrusting investigation separate to Scott. I do agree that the guilt Stiles is suffering with feels imposed by the writers. Sure I think Stiles would be shaken up, but not reproaching himself. 

I thought Scott would have learned from his father last season that sometimes you just can't avoid killing but he's still a judgmental little twit.

Forgot that scene but...yeah. Exactly.

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 1

may I ask - what is Dylan O'Brien still doing on this show? I'm getting kind of annoyed with this kid for wasting his time on TW when he's clearly got the talent (and following Maze Runner, the box office appeal) to leave the show for better things.

Because JD gives him scenes and storylines and arc that work his talent.  Also, this was his first real job, he probably feels some loyalty to JD and TW for giving him his break and his contract may be a little more iron clad than apparently everyone else who's ever been on the show.

I guess it's been suggested that he's burning the bodies to destroy evidence of the supernatural world? I guess he's actually using Phoenixy powers to bring the dead kids back to life, right? (Ugh. I hate Parrish. Parrish actually makes me yearn to have Derek back and Derek was my least favourite character). Anyway. My fear now is that the issue of Stiles having killed Donovan (in blatant self defense), this issue that is clearly going to cause the upcoming Scott/Stiles rift - will eventually be undone because Parrish will use his powers to bring Donovan back to life.

really don't think the dead are coming back to life anytime soon. It's more likely he's just cleanup crew or that this is pure instinct, like Lydia was in S3. Some people just have to strip naked and burn corpses with their naked bodies at mystical stumpy groves. I say we just need to be more supportive and let them do their naked thing nakedly. It's a burden to us poor viewers because having an attractive muscled young actor who regularly loses his clothing and is forced to walk around au naturale is so out of character for Jeff Davis and his production team. Perhaps an angry letter to the Teen Wolf office might be in order. One that demands equal treatment for other preternaturally fit actors.

• Love 7

In S4 the writers wimped out on their hints that Scott might have to kill someone, simply by avoiding putting Scott in a situation where he must kill in self-defense or defense of his pack.

Totally agree. It annoys the crap out of me. Scott doesn't seem to have a problem with the Sheriff, his dad, Chris, etc. killing people—I guess they're not "good"? Ugh. (And let's not forget he begged Derek for the chance to kill Peter in s1.)

I do agree that the guilt Stiles is suffering with seems imposed by the writers. Sure I think Stiles would be shaken up, but not reproaching himself.

I don't see Stiles as feeling guilty or reproaching himself. I think it is still shock, maybe some regret that things went down that way. It's the first time he's killed someone. That's a big deal and he's still holding it all inside right now. I think he'll be able to talk about it with his dad, although he defaults to secrets so it could be a while. Scott is his usual go-to, but obviously can't be in this case.

I think Stiles was trying to bring it up to Scott. Then Scott went on his we don't kill people, we save them mantra. So Stiles didn't tell him and now probably feels more guilt because of that. 

• Love 1

really don't think the dead are coming back to life anytime soon. It's more likely he's just cleanup crew or that this is pure instinct, like Lydia was in S3. Some people just have to strip naked and burn corpses with their naked bodies at mystical stumpy groves. I say we just need to be more supportive and let them do their naked thing nakedly. It's a burden to us poor viewers because having an attractive muscled young actor who regularly loses his clothing and is forced to walk around au naturale is so out of character for Jeff Davis and his production team. Perhaps an angry letter to the Teen Wolf office might be in order. One that demands equal treatment for other preternaturally fit actors.

Stumpy called in a Cleaner?

Works for me.

I can understand Stiles keeping quiet (can this please be the season Scott 'Righteous Ass' McCall killing someone) but I don't understand Scott not telling Kira her aura is looking more defined and she's speaking in Japanese. She knows something not right or she wouldn't be asking, he's not helping anyone by lying about it.

No one read the book before going to see Eye Guy? Not even the classic group assignment trick of a few chapters each?   

Bringing up early Stydia was not awkward exactly, gossiping about the people you're waiting for is normal enough, but as a viewer I have to wonder if the show is paving the way for them getting together or if it's future motivation for Malia doing something stupid.  

(edited)

can this please be the season Scott 'Righteous Ass' McCall killing someone

I honestly find it a bit frightening how many people desperately want a teenage boy to murder people and think he's a righteous ass for not wanting to kill people.. the usual sane response to any situation. Especially in a show where the hyper violent murder machine everyone seems to want him to be are the bad guys.

But then I just don't think 'what my lighthearted teen show really needs is more psychopaths who kill first and ask questions later in the main cast'.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 5
(edited)

No one read the book before going to see Eye Guy? Not even the classic group assignment trick of a few chapters each?   

The only one that read the whole book, didn't go with them for plot reasons (aka) start a flirtation with new guy. 

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

I honestly find it a bit frightening how many people desperately want a teenage boy to murder people and think he's a righteous ass for not wanting to kill people..

It's not that we (I) want Scott to kill anyone.  I would just like him to acknowledge that, like a law enforcement officer, with what they are doing, taking a life may be necessary.  That killing to save your life or someone else life, in the line of duty basically, does not make the person who killed a bad or irredeemable person.  That it was not something done easily or for fun, but because there was no other option.  

Using this ep as example, if Stiles hadn't pulled that pin on the scaffolding, what would Donovan have done to him?  Maybe kill him. Maybe paralyze him.  Maybe something else, but it would have ended Stiles' life as he knew it.  Was Stiles wrong to protect himself? I don't think so.  It would have been nice if the scaffolding junk could have just knocked Donovan out and let Stiles escape, but that wasn't the story they were telling and it would have just meant another confrontation at a later time and if Sheriff were there, don't you think he would have shot the SOB threatening his son?  Would that make Sheriff a bad person or a LEO with too much personal involvement in the shooting?

I don't want Scott to turn into bloodthirsty murderer, killing anyone who looks at his pack wrong.  I do want him to acknowledge that while not killing the bad guy, the guy shooting at you to reference Captain America: The Winter Soldier, is an admirable goal and the very first choice always, you don't always get to go with your first choice.  Even if his second choice is to use Eichen House as an Arkham Asylum equivalent, it's good to have a second and third and fourth choice, even if you don't like them.  The majority of LEOs never fire their weapon, but they acknowledge it may be necessary.  Why shouldn't the True Alpha determined to protect his pack and his territory acknowledge the same thing?

Edited by jelaine
  • Love 4
(edited)

I would just like him to acknowledge that, like a law enforcement officer, with what they are doing, taking a life may be necessary.

Err, he has. Unless we selectively forget all the times he's made it clear he'll kill someone unless they do go away or stop threatening them.

But then I find Scott's pacifist viewpoint much more laudable than Derek's murderhobo viewpoint or Koshiko's 'kill the teenager to get at the immortal spirit that won't be harmed by losing it's current host' viewpoint.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 1

Err, he has. Unless we selectively forget all the times he's made it clear he'll kill someone unless they do go away or stop threatening them.

Mind giving specific examples or even just episode titles?

• Love 1
(edited)

Was Stiles wrong to protect himself? I don't think so.  It would have been nice if the scaffolding junk could have just knocked Donovan out and let Stiles escape, but that wasn't the story they were telling...

Exactly. Scott is not a pacifist. We see Scott use violence against his enemies and attackers in most episodes of Teen Wolf. What if Scott hit someone in a fight and they were hurled against something sharp, impaling them? The writers could have had Scott accidentally killing someone in a violent struggle a dozen times already. It's something the writers have spared Scott. But unless Scott abstains from all violence and avoids all danger I don't think Scott can preach that he'll never do the exact thing Stiles did.

Okay...am I missing something? So the police arrive at the school library less than 10 minutes after Stiles called 911. Not only is the body gone, but all the blood (but for one drop) is gone too and the smashed library shelf and fallen scaffolding seems magically repaired. I've missed a few episodes but...have we seen any further superpowers from Parrish suggesting he can clean up a crime scene at lightning speed? And if we are to assume Parrish was at the scene - why would he not help Stiles? Surely it must be Theo and the Doctors who did the magical clean up job since Theo was the one who sent Donovan after Stiles. In that case, can we assume Parrish is already under the Doctor's power? How did Theo and the Doctors do the clean up so fast for that matter? I'd speculate that Stiles hallucinated the whole thing (maybe drugged by the bite in his shoulder) if it weren't for that scene showing Parrish with Donovan's dead body. And that Stiles still has the scaffolding pin.    

Edited by Yitzhak
(edited)

I found everyone to be super annoying in this episode.  Lying doesn't get you anywhere and from the point in the episode when Stiles didn't tell anyone that he was attacked, the lying continued ad naseum for the whole episode.  Sitles not telling what happened is understandable from the standpoint of him never really having killed anyone before.  He's obviously freaked out but I also do think it has a lot to do with his differing viewpoint about whether or not you should kill someone who is a real threat to you.  For Scott it's black and white and always has been but for Stiles, its a gray area.  I do hope that he gets that bite checked out though.

I was under the impression that the dread doctors cleaned up the mess and that Jordan then came and took the body.  I do feel that its a compulsion for him to burn the bodies because they are not natural.  I am very interested in seeing him caught in the act, if that would make him snap out of it?

Scott not telling Kira that her fox spirit is pretty much consuming her is a really stupid thing.  I understand him not wanting to alarm her but she has already tried to execute someone and she's also talking japanese in her sleep.  All things that point to her kitsune influencing her in ways it probably shouldn't be.  I can see that being the reason that she leaves.

I don't think that anyone is saying that Scott should kill everyone who might be a threat but he does have to acknowledge that letting villains go doesn't always work.  Most of the time it blows up in their face.  Sometimes taking a life is necessary.  It doesn't make you an evil person but it may protect you in the future.

I'm super annoyed with Scott and the mountain ash.  When he was becoming a true alpha, they made a point of showing that its something that he can get past but he doesn't seem to remember that this season.  Its probably more of a plot contrivance than anything else but it bugs.

I do love Stiles and Lydia's relationship.  Its grown so much since season one and while I wouldn't mind them getting together in the future, I don't want them together now.  I love her relationship with Jordan and I love Stiles relationship with Malia.  I don't think that anything will come of Malia spending time with Theo,  I think her animal way of seeing things would never equal her cheating on Stiles.

Edited by blugirlami21

Explain to me again, why Stiles did not mention his fight with wendigoboy?!<br />Also I hope Malia gets rid of Theo not sex him up. Scott lying to Kira oh wel the tragic hero. I am still watching just hoping to see more Lydia Banshee-wushu.

Explain to me again, why Stiles did not mention his fight with wendigoboy?!

You're asking why a kid (a child, a minor, a pre-adult) with anxiety disorders (panic, confusing, ADHD, subject to freak outs, all stiled up) did not follow through on his 911 call (unable to even speak and report at the time) to his dad's sheriff's department (parental authority and power mismatch) about killing (involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide, or worse) under circumstances (supernatural threat, lamprey wendigo hands in necks) that would probably not be admissible in court to his friend who tends to be judgy judgy pure true Alpha?

Can't think of a single reason. He should have shared because sharing is caring.

• Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, I personally don't think it was out of character for Stiles to not share what happened in the library with anyone in the pack either. Didn't he wait to share about his intense night terrors until Scott shared that he was having problems keeping from changing into Alpha form? I hope it comes out sooner rather then later, or someone notices that Stiles is all out of sorts. Me thinks the guilt is definitely going to tear Stiles apart until he talks to someone about it.

I also wonder if Scott is going to say anything about Kira to anyone. I wonder if he'll do it at the beginning of this next episode and it further sets Kira off.

Edited by SnoGirl
I'm super annoyed with Scott and the mountain ash.  When he was becoming a true alpha, they made a point of showing that its something that he can get past but he doesn't seem to remember that this season.  Its probably more of a plot contrivance than anything else but it bugs.

They addressed this in a previous episode, when Kanima!Tracy was able to bust out of the circle of ash Deaton put around her.  Someone pointed out that Scott had done it, and Scott replied, "once, and it almost killed me".

I honestly find it a bit frightening how many people desperately want a teenage boy to murder people and think he's a righteous ass for not wanting to kill people.. the usual sane response to any situation. Especially in a show where the hyper violent murder machine everyone seems to want him to be are the bad guys.

I agree.

to his friend who tends to be judgy judgy pure true Alpha?

I mean, I have gotten pissed that at this point they won't let Scott kill anyone, especially Peter last season, but I don't have a problem with Scott's go to solution being to try not to murder. I don't think Scott is really that judgy, and I wouldn't say it was necessarily a bad thing, to judge people who's go to solution is murder. Scott has really only ever gotten judgy with people like Derek, who usually never try to find any other solution but to kill. When Derek thought Lydia was the kanima, he wanted to kill her no questions asked. 

And, Scott will consider killing, if there is no other solution. I just watched the second season again, and there was a point where he conceded that Jackson probably couldn't be saved.

I think overall Scott's attitude about the chimera is right. Most of these people being turned are innocent. I mean Donovan wasn't exactly, but most of these people are victims, so just killing them shouldn't be their go to option. I think that was what Scott was telling Stiles. Stiles was arguing that because Lukas had been trying to kill them, it would have been alright if Kira executed him, which Scott didn't agree with. But, even though Kira did what she did, Scott didn't judge her. If Stiles had explained what happened, Scott wouldn't have judged him. 

I think this season, up until last night, was light years ahead of last season. I still don't care about half of these characters, but the story has mostly been entertaining. But, the really crappy, plot point writing is starting to seep in. There was no real reason to have Scott lie to Kira about what he saw. Stiles is a big liar, and that's not necessarily out of character, but I don think he would tell someone. There's no reason for him to have kept it from Lydia when she was asking what was up. It was stupid that most of them didn't bother even trying to read the book. 

I did get a kick out of seeing Tyler and his dad together, especially when he bolted.

• Love 1
(edited)
But no. Parrish took the damn body.

Which....UGH, I hope not. I badly want Donovan to stay dead and I want Scott to accept that there is such a thing as justifiable homicide. In S4 the writers wimped out on their hints that Scott might have to kill someone, simply by avoiding putting Scott in a situation where he must kill in self-defense or defense of his pack. That said, having Stiles be the one to kill is more fitting because Stiles has always been more willing to kill a dangerous monster for the greater good - Peter, Jackson, even himself when he was possessed. It could be a good development to have Stiles be the one to shift Scott's blind instance that they must not kill under any circumstances, self-defense included. What worries me is that the writers seem to be on Scott's side and desperate to keep the McCall pack pure - hence my fear that Stiles killing Donovan will be unwritten because the writers don't want blood (permanently) on Stiles hands. Despite the fact that Stiles was the victim of a violent attack and should not be vilified for having defended himself.

I'm really hoping they won't go with Parrish resurrecting the victims because that would further undermine the serious nature that death is supposed to have and often doesn't in supernatural drama and usually doesn't for a whole host of reasons.

My theory is Parrish is offering the Nemeton burnt offerings as in the Old Testament. The chimeras corpses are burned at the site of the Nematon as a ritual sacrifice and with each sacrifice the Nemeton becomes more powerful. If all Parrish was trying to do was destroy evidence he could burn them anywhere...

I'm not sure if Parrish is under the control of instincts he doesn't yet understand (like Kira who could just ask her mother about it already) or whether he's under mind control by the Dread Doctors or is obeying the instructions of the Nemeton.

But then I just don't think 'what my lighthearted teen show really needs is more psychopaths who kill first and ask questions later in the main cast'.

It's not that we (I) want Scott to kill anyone.  I would just like him to acknowledge that, like a law enforcement officer, with what they are doing, taking a life may be necessary.  That killing to save your life or someone else life, in the line of duty basically, does not make the person who killed a bad or irredeemable person.  That it was not something done easily or for fun, but because there was no other option. 

Personally it's not that I want Scott to become a murderer out of some sense of blood lust but because it's UNREALISTIC that the SUPER TRUE ALPHA who apparently has untapped wells of super strength that he still hasn't bothered to learn to deal with gets into supernatural fist fights every other episode of the show and doesn't kill even accidentally. He never accidentally punches too hard and kills someone, he never has a violent altercation that ends with the other person impaled on a piece of debris and it grates. 

His character gets a free pass against death. It irritates me because noone else gets to have the luxury of never having to worry about the consequences of not killing someone. For instance he let Darach and Deucalion go at the end of season 4a and they had both murdered people in cold blood and had no one to stop them if they did so again as Scott wouldn't be monitoring them at all. I wouldn't mind him not killing the bad guys if he had a decent alternative. Shoving Peter in the supernatural holding cell was a decent compromise between killing the campy creepster that's kind of lovably crazy evil and letting him go around unsupervised.

I don't want him to kill, I just want him to THINK. For instance in season 2 he could have told Lydia and Jackson the truth that one of them might be the Kanima and incidentally killing people and restrained them until they could run some blood tests or something... Yet Scott vetoed the others suggestions as to killing one or both of them and instead of restraining or monitoring either of them he just let them both wander around and a whole police station was massacred. I still blame Scott for that.

But then I find Scott's pacifist viewpoint much more laudable than Derek's murderhobo viewpoint or Koshiko's 'kill the teenager to get at the immortal spirit that won't be harmed by losing it's current host' viewpoint.

Threatening someone with a brutal grisly death doesn't hold much weight if you've never killed someone before. I find it ridiculous that Deucalion would be scared of Scott's empty threat. Deucalion is probably off recruiting a whole new set of werewolves and causing chaos in another town because Scott apparently doesn't care about anyone's lives outside his social circle.

The thing that bugged me most about this episode oddly enough was Lydia and Stiles inability to follow the most simple instruction. DONT MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE SUPERNATURAL PRISONERS... So what did they do ? They looked into every single cage... *sigh* Then Lydia kept getting told to read the book... When she's supposed to be a super genius. UGH

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

Cannot agree more.

I enjoyed the pace of this episode a great deal. It papered over the fact that some of the reactions to things made no sense. Ref: Scott lying to Kira, no one reading the book, Theo and Malia (!?), Parrish apparently being able to clear and clean a crime scene in 10 minutes.

But, hey, this is way better than last season. There's that.

Scott's refusal to kill is refreshing when so many supernatural series take the morally gray option. It makes sense for who the character is, and he doesn't seem entirely opposed to self-defense kills, but seems to be more opposed to that slippery slope. He does have a point about the chimeras being the victims not the bad guys. I do feel that eventually his luck is gonna run out and he will have to kill someone.

I liked how they focused on the core characters tonight. No newbies, no parents, just the pack and Eichen House. 

Loved seeing both Poseys "Oh shit" reaction to the doctors. First time I've ever seen a family resemblance. And Papa Posey running away was the funniest thing in a mostly creepy episode.

(edited)

Scott's refusal to kill is refreshing when so many supernatural series take the morally gray option. It makes sense for who the character is, and he doesn't seem entirely opposed to self-defense kills, but seems to be more opposed to that slippery slope. He does have a point about the chimeras being the victims not the bad guys. I do feel that eventually his luck is gonna run out and he will have to kill someone.

I don't mind that Scott doesn't kill. It bothers me that he doesn't kill and he's never held accountable for letting all these serial killers and mass murderers wander about usually unpunished for their various crimes.

Peter resurrected himself in Season 2 and he's been directly and indirectly responsible for numerous deaths since then and his current status is unknown. Scott hasn't even mentioned him this season as far as I can recall.

I like lots of protagonists that don't kill people intentionally. Batman, Superman and Aang spring to mind but there are usually consequences for them not taking the direct approach to crazy murdering psychopaths. With Batman it's chronic Asylum escapes and really silly Villain deaths and a ridiculously high crime rate for Gotham. Superman has Lex Luthor repeatedly resurfacing to cause problems to Metropolis. Aang's forebear was too forgiving of someone crossing the line and it resulted in a hundred year war that killed uncounted people including an entire race of people.

Scott gets to keep his hands clean, makes speeches about murder being wrong and never is held accountable for all the resulting deaths of that moral stance. Instead people are always going on about how much of a good guy he is for his INTENTIONS. Ignoring that those people he called victims still died because even when he is the same room as mass murderers he just stands there looking dim witted and useless. He wasn't even shown to chase the Dread Doctors or look for clues (admittedly that may be of their mind trickery but I'm not holding my breath on that one). Nor did he pursue Darach after she tried to kill his mom or Peter after he threatened to kill his mom.

He's never even held to account that his actions resulted in the death of Allison's mom (indirectly) or Allison. After 5 years he can't even be relied to keep a teenager acting weirdly strapped to a metal table so it doesn't run loose murdering people. If he is supposed to be a leader he should be accountable for the actions/inaction of his group. If he's not supposed to be held accountable for his or their actions he should let someone else take over...

The show seems to want to have it both ways. Isn't Scott so great, he's the werewolf Polyanna blessed with True Alphaness and has never killed anyone and his pack is so kickass. Even though he's only turned one person and only because he couldn't be bothered transporting him one flight down to receive medical attention and under his 'leadership' dozens of people have been killed.

If he wants to be involved in the murder of the week, he has to take some responsibility for not doing a good job of it. If he isn't supposed to be held responsible for the massive death toll than he should abdicate his power to someone with the wisdom or intelligence to do so.

Where the hell is Derek? Where is Danny and Coach ?

Where is my the fun supernatural comedy from season 1? Is Scott still on the lacrosse team this season ?

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 3
My theory is Parrish is offering the Nemeton burnt offerings as in the Old Testament. The chimeras corpses are burned at the site of the Nematon as a ritual sacrifice and with each sacrifice the Nemeton becomes more powerful. If all Parrish was trying to do was destroy evidence he could burn them anywhere...

I'm not sure if Parrish is under the control of instincts he doesn't yet understand (like Kira who could just ask her mother about it already) or whether he's under mind control by the Dread Doctors or is obeying the instructions of the Nemeton.

That's what I'm thinking too.  The Nemeton was dormant until Young!Derek killed his girlfriend there and it became active enough to save Jennifer(?) and turn her into the Darach.  When Scott and company did their death ritual to find the kidnapped parents, they fully awoke the damn thing.

Maybe the Nemeton is the ultimate villain of the series.  They need to get out to the forrest with some dynamite and a stump grinder, stat.

(edited)

Well I can definitely say Stiles is by far my favorite character! That was his first kill. I like that he didn't try to save that guy he simply defended himself. And he won the fight! I forgot how much I enjoyed his scenes with Lydia.

Scott and Kira was extremely boring. I kept hoping it would go back to Lydia and Stiles. They should have just had them go talk to the guy, since Kira and Scott were useless. And I didn't get what happened with Kira, except I kept thinking "get off of Scott you are hurting him" when she was all over him after they got out of the building.

I still hate Theo and I hate that he is making a move on Malya. I was hoping she would turn into a Coyote and kill him.

Edited by blueray

My theory is Parrish is offering the Nemeton burnt offerings as in the Old Testament.

Ashes are a great source of phosphorus and potassium that are handy for fertilizing your favorite mind-controlling tree stump. I suspect Stumpy (aka Audrey III) is just interested in balanced supernatural nutrition as well as supporting the naked aesthetics of the local wildlife. Whether you're a hellmouth, a haven, or a simple monster sanctuary with a built-in beacon, a stump's gotta eat. 

Maybe the Nemeton is the ultimate villain of the series.  They need to get out to the forrest with some dynamite and a stump grinder, stat.

On behalf of the Society to Preserve Flammable Naturist Deputies, may I suggest that might not be the best approach to protect this rare and threatened population? Surely there's a more environmentally friendly way to de-dreaddoc a nearby residential area without impeding on the beautiful but highly parrishable ecosystem?

• Love 3

If he isn't supposed to be held responsible for the massive death toll than he should abdicate his power to someone with the wisdom or intelligence to do so.

It's nice in theory for Scott to be all "Wow, I'm a bad leader. Maybe I should let someone else do it," but how on earth is he supposed "abdicate his power"?  It's not like it's a magic ring he can hand to someone else. Unless you're seriously advocating for Scott to get someone to kill him so he doesn't have to be an alpha anymore. And if you're just talking about his status as The Guy People Look Up To. That's not really on him. People will follow who they choose to follow.

But moving on: I'm really disappointed that Donovan is dead. The Dread Doctors and Theo are still to enigmatic to really be interesting to me, but Donovan felt like a credible threat both for his manufactured wendigo-ness and (perhaps moreso) for his very human beef with Stilinski. It's just such a waste to see that fall away.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's nice in theory for Scott to be all "Wow, I'm a bad leader. Maybe I should let someone else do it," but how on earth is he supposed "abdicate his power"?  It's not like it's a magic ring he can hand to someone else. Unless you're seriously advocating for Scott to get someone to kill him so he doesn't have to be an alpha anymore. And if you're just talking about his status as The Guy People Look Up To. That's not really on him. People will follow who they choose to follow.

But moving on: I'm really disappointed that Donovan is dead. The Dread Doctors and Theo are still to enigmatic to really be interesting to me, but Donovan felt like a credible threat both for his manufactured wendigo-ness and (perhaps moreso) for his very human beef with Stilinski. It's just such a waste to see that fall away.

He doesn't have to have someone kill him to take his power. Derek basically got a power down from healing Cora. Hell it could be an unintentional side effect of him taking away the pain of too many others in the hospital. It doesn't need to stop him being a werewolf but if he's not going to use his great power for anything it's kind of annoying loose plot thread that could be resolved by a power down. Then we could have a character arc for Scott where he tries to decide whether he wants the power and responsibility that comes with a True Alpha or whether he'd rather be a beta and have someone else make the hard calls.

Despite my criticism of Scott's leadership, I like the actual character of Scott, I don't mind that he's a sweet guy trying to protect his friends the best way he can. It's just when he's acting as the moral authority for all the supernaturals for town because of his True Alphaness. It leaves me going who put you in charge ? and why should older more experienced supernaturals care about the opinions of some 17 year old wunderkid stomping around cluelessly?

Scott may not want to be a leader but he forcibly stops other people from taking actions that he doesn't like. That either makes him the default leader with all the responsibilities that come with or a bully forcing his opinions on everyone else with his super strength. For instance he completely blocked Kira's strike last episode during a battle with an unknown and potentially lethal scorpion hybrid that could have resulted in either one of them dying. For all he knew that person who put someone else in a hospital the day before could rise up and attack them again, shoot venomous spit or whatever.

I do agree with you about Donovan. It kind of reminds me of the previous season with the assassins. Just when one of the assassins become interesting and potentially dangerous they get killed off with little fan fare like Wendigo boy, Teen Hunters and NO mouth guy. I still miss No mouth guy. All those psychopaths murdered by other psychopaths so the good guys don't have to get their hands dirty. It's a theme.

Is it just me or is it kind of pathetic that these teens who basically live in a horror movie don't ever carry any weapons (other than Kira)  they should be able to get some mace/pepper spray, handcuffs from the Sheriff and maybe some of the anti wolf arsenal from Chris Argent and yet they wander around aimless and defenseless.

I don't think Stumpy is evil. I think it's probably completely neutral from its description by people. It is a power source and a beacon to supernaturals. Sacrifices give it more power which probably increases it's ability to broadcast to supernaturals and it's effect on supernaturals. Previous to the Hale fire it probably provided a minor but noticeable difference to the supernaturals in the areas like maybe 1.1/1.2 times their power. Nothing major but a useful cumulative benefit to a wolf pack like the Hales.

Then the wacky kids and their assorted hijinks provided more fuel for Stumpy which further increases its broadcasting strength and effect on supernaturals so you end up with supernaturals experiencing 1.5 times the power they'd feel anywhere else. Hence why the Dread Doctors are experimenting in the neighborhood to try and make use of the fairly varied supplies of supernaturals in the vicinity and the more pronounced effects. You also end up with the True Alpha making his home there and the premiere hunting family Argents and rare ancient Kitsunes setting up shop there.

As its power grows the more effect it has on the supernaturals and the more damage those supernaturals can do on the humans.

Parrish is just feeding the Dread Doctor's failed experiments to Stumpy and the momentum keeps building.

Or at least that's my theory based on what I've seen and some general fanwanking for explanation for all the non stop drama in that town.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

I also liked Kira asking about Lydia-obsessed-Stiles. I sort of forgot about how different they used to be and how Kira wouldn't have known. It was a nice callback to season one and two Stiles and Lydia.

That was good. One thing that impressed me right away about Stiles was that he wasn't a "Good Guy". He didn't do things for Lydia to impress her and make her think he was boyfriend material (although he wouldn't have objected!). He did them because he liked her and wanted to help her (even if it was just by listening).

But then we had Stiles (still in shock) irrationally calling 911

I didn't think it was irrational of him to call 911 or to hide when the police came. Donovan's body needed to be seen to -- he didn't know that Parrish would come for him.

what is Dylan O'Brien still doing on this show? I'm getting kind of annoyed with this kid for wasting his time on TW when he's clearly got the talent (and following Maze Runner, the box office appeal) to leave the show for better things.

I've heard that he's doing this season as a favor to Posey. I'll bet they find him some "movie-time" in return.

I have to wonder if the show is paving the way for them getting together or if it's future motivation for Malia doing something stupid.

I certainly hope not! I like the current partnerships (Lydia-Parrish and Stiles-Malia) and would hate to have them broken up over something stupid.

I do love Stiles and Lydia's relationship.  Its grown so much since season one and while I wouldn't mind them getting together in the future, I don't want them together now.  I love her relationship with Jordan and I love Stiles relationship with Malia.  I don't think that anything will come of Malia spending time with Theo,  I think her animal way of seeing things would never equal her cheating on Stiles.

Considering that Theo is Eeeeeeeeeeeeevil, I don't think there's much of a future in a Theo-Malia romance....

Considering that Theo is Eeeeeeeeeeeeevil, I don't think there's much of a future in a Theo-Malia romance....

I'm okay with Malia going evil. She's a practical girl. If Theo sticks around she can torture him. It looks like the show is steering towards Stydia right now pretty hard. If nothing else, they're playing Marrish as practically Victorian. Given that Lydia is a forward gal, one suspects it will not go past friendship except in Parrish's fevered hallucinations. (One suspects all his hallucinations are fevered by default.) I just hope they don't try to set up Parrish with extremely boring deputy chick who suddenly showed up for no reason. She's annoying me.

they're playing Marrish as practically Victorian. Given that Lydia is a forward gal, one suspects it will not go past friendship except in Parrish's fevered hallucinations.

I think previews (as seen on Wolf Watch) are considered spoilers, so I will just say that I think you're wrong here.

• Love 1

I've heard that he's doing this season as a favor to Posey. I'll bet they find him some "movie-time" in return.

Really? Aww. I can't begrudge Dylan sticking with TW for O'Brosey reasons.   

• Love 1

That high school is downright goofy. Sure, you need a key card to get into the grand library but otherwise it looks like kids could run the halls any time of the day or night.

Kira's aura looks more like a tanuki than a fox with its rounded ears.

I really don't understand why Scott had to lie to Kira about her fox aura.  It seems that your kitsune aura becoming larger, more defined and more bloodthirsty would be the kind of thing that would warrant more honesty, not less.

That high school is downright goofy. Sure, you need a key card to get into the grand library but otherwise it looks like kids could run the halls any time of the day or night.

Considering the amount of deaths in this town you'd think the school would lock its doors shut after like 5 pm so that they can ship off these endangered teenagers off to their parents so they don't have to look after them any more.

I'm amazed that there are teachers at that school considering how many students and teachers have died in the last 5 years.

• Love 1