Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago Fire in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Could it be - the end of the St Gabby era is actually starting to look likely...

http://deadline.com/2018/05/chicago-fire-eamonn-walker-return-season-7-monica-raymund-exits-nbc-1202389675/

I happen to like Monica Raymund and am very disappointed to read this news. I think it's disrespectful Raymund wasn't offered a contract as were Kinney and Spencer.  I sincerely hope it's Raymund's choice to go. 

I've had my issues with several episodes this season, no doubt, but I find the dog whistles directed at Gabby (Raymund) to be off-putting to say the least. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Jesse and Kinney are the show leads and first tier cast members so they would always be prioritised. Although she was shoehorned into every storyline going she was still a second tier cast member alongside Walker and Eigenberg. 

She's opting not to sign on by the sounds of things so I would expect it's her decision to leave.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Chas411 said:

Jesse and Kinney are the show leads and first tier cast members so they would always be prioritised. Although she was shoehorned into every storyline going she was still a second tier cast member alongside Walker and Eigenberg.  

She may have been second tier initially, but that's long since not been the case. 

As for the shoe horning into the storylines?  We'll have to agree to disagree. 

(edited)

FROM CARTERMATT.COM:

"While it is wonderful that Chicago Fire season 7 is happening on NBC, there is some news coming out this morning that may put somewhat of a damper on it: Monica Raymund is likely departing the show.

According to a report from Deadline, Raymund is set to exit the series after a cliffhanger at the end of season 6 had Dawson considering whether or not to head down to Puerto Rico for the relief effort rather than stick around the Windy City. The actress’ contract was expiring at the end of the season alongside some other original cast members. Both Jesse Spencer and Taylor Kinney have already inked their return to the show, while Eamonn Walker and David Eigenberg are also both expected to be back. It remains unclear if Raymund will appear in a guest-starring capacity in the early going, but given that Sophia Bush didn’t do that following her exit from Chicago PD, it’s not something we are counting on.

Kara Killmer, Miranda Rae Mayo, Yuri Sardarov, Christian Stolte, and Joe Minoso, who play many other members of the beloved Firehouse 51 family, are also all expected back for season 7.

Losing Raymund is a huge blow for the series — she’s a strong performer and, to go along with that, she offers up so much connective tissue between this show and Chicago PD given that it was always easy to bring over Jon Seda given that Antonio and Gabby Dawson are related. The producers will now have to either lean towards Brett as the reason to bring over Antonio more and they will have to work in some other crossover connections."

IMHO, and with all due respect, losing St.Gabby is NOT a huge blow for the series.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, preeya said:

FROM CARTERMATT.COM:

"While it is wonderful that Chicago Fire season 7 is happening on NBC, there is some news coming out this morning that may put somewhat of a damper on it: Monica Raymund is likely departing the show.

According to a report from Deadline, Raymund is set to exit the series after a cliffhanger at the end of season 6 had Dawson considering whether or not to head down to Puerto Rico for the relief effort rather than stick around the Windy City. The actress’ contract was expiring at the end of the season alongside some other original cast members. Both Jesse Spencer and Taylor Kinney have already inked their return to the show, while Eamonn Walker and David Eigenberg are also both expected to be back. It remains unclear if Raymund will appear in a guest-starring capacity in the early going, but given that Sophia Bush didn’t do that following her exit from Chicago PD, it’s not something we are counting on.

Kara Killmer, Miranda Rae Mayo, Yuri Sardarov, Christian Stolte, and Joe Minoso, who play many other members of the beloved Firehouse 51 family, are also all expected back for season 7.

Losing Raymund is a huge blow for the series — she’s a strong performer and, to go along with that, she offers up so much connective tissue between this show and Chicago PD given that it was always easy to bring over Jon Seda given that Antonio and Gabby Dawson are related. The producers will now have to either lean towards Brett as the reason to bring over Antonio more and they will have to work in some other crossover connections."

IMHO, and with all due respect, losing St.Gabby is NOT a huge blow for the series.

Why do they need to bring over Antonio? I'm fine with never seeing a member of the Dawson family ever again.

• Love 5

It's really sad when the writers... mainly Hass himself are freaking out and don't realize they have other characters to use. 

I did like Antonio but I'd rather they use him sparingly and not as a love interest and I thought that was over. 

• Love 4

Yeah seriously - exaggeration much. They best episodes this season were the ones with minimal Dawson. Use your other characters. Christ.

also, Bush fell out with NBC which is why she wasn't back as a guest star. I'm sure Dawson could back for the series finale if they want. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

Oh, that’d be great if she’s leaving.  Can Hermann go to please - he’s nothing but a whine.

I liked Hermann until Otis got shot but after that he was annoying. 

I admit, if he chills out next season, I will like him again. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Personally I would be thrilled to not have Gabby around any more. Nothing to do with the actress playing her, all to do with the writers who created the character—if they couldn’t make her storylines work better, it’s all on them, not the actress. I think all the Gabby storylines diminished the rest of the characters on Fire. Casey, so much fun to watch, especially with Severide, and so likeable, was turned into a downtrodden henpecked shadow of his former self by this season, but for what purpose? If this report is true, good luck and godspeed to Monica Raymund.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 11

I am not sure what's more entertaining, the meltdown of Dawsey fans who desperately think that she is actually a universally adored character and they may as well cancel the show now or the way the harpies who told Linstead fans that 'you didn't always get the ending you deserved for your faves' and spent the rest of the year taking potshots at SB fans and reminding everyone how much better the show is without her character are blubbering all over the place that 'Dawsey' didn't deserve to end like that, that Dawsey fans are the only fans that matter and should get the end they want.....so fucking funny.

• Love 3

I like Dawsey as a couple but I've definitely been irritated with the writing for Gabby the last few seasons. I do think that the show tends to Mary Sue her while making her flaw of being self-centered seem like an attribute. Early seasons Dawson was also fiery and stubborn but at some point the show seemed to focus on that as the story rather than just have it be a by product of an actual plot, IMO. I think Chicago Fire could use a breather from that and I'd like to see Matt on his own for a while rather than him just kowtowing to Gabby. I like Monica Raymund as an actress but I'm curious to see the show deal with writing stories without focusing on Gabby's feelings or history becoming a focal point. 

I'd be ok with Hermann/DE leaving too. I was mostly ok with him before this season (though his whining always grated on my nerves) but he's become a huge irritant. I hated how he reacted to Cordova being in the house as well as his sexism about Stella driving the rig once Otis was back. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I'd be ok with Hermann/DE leaving too. I was mostly ok with him before this season (though his whining always grated on my nerves) but he's become a huge irritant. I hated how he reacted to Cordova being in the house as well as his sexism about Stella driving the rig once Otis was back. 

I don't mind the comic relief Herman provides too much but his over-the-top Southside Chicago accent really grates sometimes. It takes me right out of the show as I wonder, gee, no one else on this show talks like this, and I bet he doesn't in real life either! Not to mention the guinea pig incident that he should have put the kibosh on. He and Mouch really stretch my belief that they could be firefighters.

• Love 2

Herman is hit or miss.  Some weeks he is awesome with a good speech to Casey or how he handles a candidate.  Other weeks he is so unprofessional you can’t believe he still has a job.  It’s frustrating, as I like the actor.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

With April Kepner leaving Grey's, Gabby leaving Chicago Fire, and For the People actually getting a renewal...its like the TV Gods have smiled down on me and answered every last one of my prayers.

I don't know what I did to deserve this but...thank you!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I don't mind the comic relief Herman provides too much but his over-the-top Southside Chicago accent really grates sometimes...He and Mouch really stretch my belief that they could be firefighters.

They're the two most authentic ones on the show, despite how badly they're written at times.

Come to NYC sometime...if you think the Chicago accent is laid on too thick, you should hear almost every real FDNY firefighter's Long Island accent! The first few episodes in, six years ago, I thought those two were actual CFD firefighters with SAG cards, just like Mike Stoker and Marco Lopez were on Emergency! in the 70s.

As for Gabby's departure, YAYYYYY! I hope they actually kill Gabby off so we'll never have to worry about her coming back in a VerySpecialEpisode.

• Love 1

I could imagine her returning for the series finale.

Farewell Gabby don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

As for Monica, I absolutely wish her all the best.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

They're the two most authentic ones on the show, despite how badly they're written at times.

Come to NYC sometime...if you think the Chicago accent is laid on too thick, you should hear almost every real FDNY firefighter's Long Island accent! The first few episodes in, six years ago, I thought those two were actual CFD firefighters with SAG cards, just like Mike Stoker and Marco Lopez were on Emergency! in the 70s.

As for Gabby's departure, YAYYYYY! I hope they actually kill Gabby off so we'll never have to worry about her coming back in a VerySpecialEpisode.

But only Hermann (not Mouch, no one else) has the Sout-side (sic) tortured pronunciation--and as someone who was just on the Sout-side last weekend, I can tell you it's not that pronounced any more. Although I do have a house painter right now who could be Eigenberg's voice coach. I could tell a couple of the older guys roaming around the commish's office with Boden are extras/consultants on the show.

Thanks for mentioning killing Gabby off (I would insert a screaming laughing emoji here)--I didn't want to go there myself. but maybe a damaged from the hurricane hotel could fall on her or something.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Chas411 said:

Could it be - the end of the St Gabby era is actually starting to look likely...

http://deadline.com/2018/05/chicago-fire-eamonn-walker-return-season-7-monica-raymund-exits-nbc-1202389675/

Oh happy day, oh happy day!!!! Best news I've heard all day. Cannot stand St. Gabby. Will not miss her in the least. I wonder if Casey and Dawson's latest marital issue over her trying to conceive even though it is dangerous (and Casey not wanting her to) will be the nail in their marital coffin. One can hope.

I do hope Brett wakes up and smells the coffee and realizes Joe Cruz would make a great boyfriend.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Now that I think about it, it's surprising that they made Raymund's exit official already. It kills the cliffhanger doesn't it?

She probably has something in the works and it was going to be out soon. Does kinda screw up the suspense, doesn't it?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Now that I think about it, it's surprising that they made Raymund's exit official already. It kills the cliffhanger doesn't it?

Let's be honest, they suck at cliffhangers anyway. Why should this be any different?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

It's more or less the exact same as it was Sophia Bushs Lindsay on Fire... Minus the gag order.

Did she confirm it before? I was under the impression it was kept under wraps for much longer.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:34 PM, ECM1231 said:

Oh happy day, oh happy day!!!! Best news I've heard all day. Cannot stand St. Gabby. Will not miss her in the least. I wonder if Casey and Dawson's latest marital issue over her trying to conceive even though it is dangerous (and Casey not wanting her to) will be the nail in their marital coffin. One can hope.

I do hope Brett wakes up and smells the coffee and realizes Joe Cruz would make a great boyfriend.

Well she did date Cruz before lol. Unless you mean you hope she realizes this time she should keep him lol

• Love 3

Did she confirm it before? I was under the impression it was kept under wraps for much longer.

Sorry you're right she didn't due to I assume the gag order however every media outlet confirmed it and neither she or NBC or cast members confirmed or denied it.. Again, gag order. 

It it was reported as fact though a few weeks after the finale.

• Love 2
On 14/05/2018 at 9:51 AM, Guildford said:

I am not sure what's more entertaining, the meltdown of Dawsey fans who desperately think that she is actually a universally adored character and they may as well cancel the show now or the way the harpies who told Linstead fans that 'you didn't always get the ending you deserved for your faves' and spent the rest of the year taking potshots at SB fans and reminding everyone how much better the show is without her character are blubbering all over the place that 'Dawsey' didn't deserve to end like that, that Dawsey fans are the only fans that matter and should get the end they want.....so fucking funny.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! LMAO at the dawson fans who think the sun shone out of her arse and that she was the centre of the show!  They are now clamouring for Derek Haas to kill off Casey by making him commit suicide because he cant live without Scabby! Even saying the show is finished without Scabby! Damn hilarious! And all their moaning and hysteria is so funny...Scabby got the ending she deserved and Casey will be SO MUCH BETTER WITHOUT HER! Maybe now we can get back to the original premise of the show and stop with so much romance crap! Keep Casey single for a long while now and let him get back to the wonderful kickass character he used to be before Scabby got her claws into him and he turned into her lapdog. Dawsey is dead! Long live Casey! 

On 14/05/2017 at 5:29 AM, Artsda said:

Chicago Fire Co-Creator Leaving Series

Chicago Fire is losing co-creator Michael Brandt, who is an executive producer and co-showrunner on the Dick Wolf drama. EP and director Joe Chappelle also is leaving the firefighter series. Derek Haas, who has been running the show with Brandt, will continue solo in Season 5.

This truly hasnt helped the show either!

• Love 1

So I'm a little late to the party and just read the news today, but... yay!  

I actually liked Gabby in the first season or two, and tolerated her as indifferent in the next couple.  But the past 2 seasons?  Yeesh.  Good riddance.  (Nothing against the actress, of course, she seems lovely - just the character.)  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Guildford said:

And we are off with the overhyped storylines for season 7....strap your good self in ladies and gentlemen.

19 hours ago, Guildford said:

And we are off with the overhyped storylines for season 7....strap your good self in ladies and gentlemen.

So we know now that it won't be that big or that scary then l guess! Yawn. But l so hope lm proved wrong!

• Love 1

If I interpret what Haas is saying correctly, Raymund gave them enough time to write a proper ending but he ignored it and then was surprised when Raymund did what she said she would. If that is really the case then I find that quite a crappy attitude on Haas' part and unfair to fans especially Dawsey fans. (Which I never was). It sounds like they had the opportunity to give Dawsey a proper conclusion but didn't because Raymund leaving didn't fit with his personal reality.

• Love 2

It sounds similar to Sophia Bush exit from PD. She said she had certain issues working on the show during season three and if they weren't addressed by midseason four she would leave at the seasons end. They ignored all that and gave her a hastily written and crappy send off instead. 

Haas really overestimates how much people care about Gabby and Matt. I assume he's hoping she'll come back for a finale arc or something. Spencer and Kinney only signed one year deals so maybe they're finishing up this season also.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

If I interpret what Haas is saying correctly, Raymund gave them enough time to write a proper ending but he ignored it and then was surprised when Raymund did what she said she would. If that is really the case then I find that quite a crappy attitude on Haas' part and unfair to fans especially Dawsey fans. (Which I never was). It sounds like they had the opportunity to give Dawsey a proper conclusion but didn't because Raymund leaving didn't fit with his personal reality.

It could have been done better but I didn't think it was out of character for her 'if' they were hoping/expecting she would come back.

My interpretation is that while they knew that she was negotiating her contract he expected her to stay like Spencer & Kinney did. Who knows how much he knew and when? I guess his idea was have her throw her tanty and storm off to PR during hiatus and then next season's time jump has her returning to a heroes welcome. Her pulling the pin once the episodes were already in the can and everyone had tottled off to enjoy their hiatus meant they couldn't bring everyone back to re-shoot the ending with water cannons ferrying her down the runway.

Yes, there are a lot of Dawson fans but there are also a lot of people who couldn't stand her, they can't please everyone. (Her being the fictional character Dawson)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Guildford said:

Yes, there are a lot of Dawson fans but there are also a lot of people who couldn't stand her, they can't please everyone. (Her being the fictional character Dawson)

Exactly and I've no interest in watching Matt pine over a long distance relationship when they could do so much more with him, he's been around sidelined long enough. 

Her exit suits the character - it doesn't shock me in the slightest that she'd fuck of to PR without so much of a thought for her marriage. It's in line with how she's behaved throughout the entire relationship. Utterly selfish and self serving.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Guildford said:

It could have been done better but I didn't think it was out of character for her 'if' they were hoping/expecting she would come back.

My interpretation is that while they knew that she was negotiating her contract he expected her to stay like Spencer & Kinney did. Who knows how much he knew and when? I guess his idea was have her throw her tanty and storm off to PR during hiatus and then next season's time jump has her returning to a heroes welcome. Her pulling the pin once the episodes were already in the can and everyone had tottled off to enjoy their hiatus meant they couldn't bring everyone back to re-shoot the ending with water cannons ferrying her down the runway.

That's his quote I based my comment on:

“I was definitely caught off-guard that she was not going to come back. That’s not to say that she didn’t give us plenty of time, because she did. But in my head, that was all just end-of-year negotiating or whatever. I didn’t think that she really wasn’t going to come back,” he continues with a laugh.

He says she gave them plenty of time, so it sounds like they knew early enough but he ignored it because he didn't think it was going to happen.

• Love 1
On 16/08/2018 at 8:18 AM, CheshireCat said:

You've got it in one! They did have plenty of time to write Monica Raymund out better than they did but it looks like sheer arrogance stopped that happening and the ending they finished up with was hurried because their personal reality was just nothing like the real reality! LMFAO! Haas has egg on his face well and truly over all this! Both with Dawson fans and non Dawson fans, even though we are all delighted she has gone finally! l wonder that the writers couldn't actually see how fed up people were getting of Dawson a long time ago! Their little bubble has burst!

On 16/08/2018 at 10:38 PM, Waterston Fan said:

I wonder if Jesse is going to see how things go and if he feels like Haas won't change, he might leave too. I seem to remember him saying in an interview he would like to have Matt single and see how that goes. 

At least the fact that he no longer has that leech Dawson stuck to him means that there could well be better story lines now for Casey! And l'm quite sure that Jesse won't be leaving the show - he is the Jewel In their Crown and they would be fools to let him or Taylor go no matter what they had to do to keep them! And yes, Jesse did say he would like to see Casey single! Well that cant be any worse than him being with Dawson it can only be better! 

Edited by belletane
  • Love 1
On 13/05/2018 at 8:13 PM, Waterston Fan said:

It's really sad when the writers... mainly Hass himself are freaking out and don't realize they have other characters to use. 

I did like Antonio but I'd rather they use him sparingly and not as a love interest and I thought that was over. 

His obvious infatuation with Gabby has been apparent for a long time so a LOT of people out here are delighted she has gone. Haas seemingly can't just accept it and move on instead of whining on about her rather than just appreciate all the other characters he has at his disposal! She is gone and he'll just have to deal with that or leave and let someone else run the show.

On 16/08/2018 at 2:21 PM, Chas411 said:

Exactly and I've no interest in watching Matt pine over a long distance relationship when they could do so much more with him, he's been around sidelined long enough. 

Her exit suits the character - it doesn't shock me in the slightest that she'd fuck of to PR without so much of a thought for her marriage. It's in line with how she's behaved throughout the entire relationship. Utterly selfish and self serving.

Quite true.  The character got the ending she deserved and it was clear that it had all been very hastily written because the show runners didnt believe she would actually have the cheek to leave even though she had apparently told them at the beginning of season 6. The writers and show runner were clearly caught out by their sheer arrogance this time. And the last thing the show needs is for everyone to whine about Gabby leaving. Get a grip and deal with the actress (who was always very good in the part) leaving. Embrace the great story lines that could now happen instead of  pining around for her or making Casey do it. Hopefully Severide will be enough of a friend (and a man) to tell Casey to his face how badly Dawson treated him and when he looks back objectively Casey will see this for himself! Dont want to hear her name ever again in this show. She was a horrible character and we are glad she has gone for good! And it is unforgivable if Haas and the rest of the writers mess this up and fail to  put Casey back where he should be - front and centre of the show! The Gabby fans are all very hacked off with them for what they did to Gabby and the Casey fans will be equally angry if Casey continues to be sidelined through season 7!  If that happens, by the end of season 7 they wont have many viewers left and probably wont have a season 8 either!

• Love 1