Chicago Fire in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

Season 2 is to be released on dvd September second. Extras include:

Behind the Scenes
    I Am a Firefighter Digital Series
    "Stepping Stone" - Chicago P.D. Pilot Episode
    "8:30 PM" - Chicago P.D. Crossover Episode

I love the cover art. With the way the season has gone I was half expecting just a single shot of Gabby to be the dvd cover.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the crossovers. I hate that. I don't care if Taylor Kinney and Sophia Bush want to appear on every show ever, but I don't want to have to watch every show just to know what's happening on Chicago Fire, or else I'm out.

• Love 1

This interview left me cold. It's basically them saying "well everything needs to be about Dawson/Severide so shay has been killed off to service that".

Add in the fact that they didn't know how to write decent storylines for the character outside of being the token lesbian and/or soundboard for Gabby and Severide.

I can't believe they fired Lauren to service this crap.

This zap2it article sums up my feelings:

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/chicago_fire_season_3_premiere_firehouse_51_loses_one_its_own-2014-09

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2

I have to second everything you've said here. After reading that article I was disgusted. I was a huge Severide/Shay fan, because of the uniqueness of their connection. I didn't ship them romantically, but I loved their friendship.

I will never understand the statement that 'taking away a character' will add to storylines. I give Lauren German applause for her constant professionalism throughout such an insulting exercise on how NOT to treat one of your 2 leading ladies. They're down to one on an already unbalanced cast, and they've removed these storylines, IMO :

Severide and Shay dealing with a very important issue in our modern family era - possible coparenting, perhaps surrogacy, and shining a light on a very REAL issue in the LGBT community.

They could actually bring in characters that mirrored what some posters didn't like about it on the web, and have Shay and Severide defend their position; in effect a great sounding board for those in the community that are having their rights as modern families questioned. They could have been that example of true 'friends' that want to make that family for life, because of the love and respect they have for one another.

That choice would effect future love interests, who could and could not deal with a third party in their relationship to either Shay or Kelly. And to see that Shay would value and respect Kelly's role as the father of her child, because she said she wanted someone that would be in her child's life. I would have loved to see that reflection of the way our society is changing, but I think the creators lacked the bravery to stick to their guns to stick it out to give us THAT gritty realism. A shame.

A true shame. This is the first show I've commented on in probably about 3 or more years. It really touched a nerve for me. I'm no longer a viewer of their program, and it really was a GO TO for me.

• Love 2

Wow, that TV Line article. I guarantee they looked at Jesse and Taylor's picks for 5 seconds and said, 'how the hell did those get up there? Take them down before we get fired!' That was the length of their 'day in court'. I'm not blaming Jesse or Taylor, not in the least, but I must agree with another poster(apologies for not checking who) that said:

Paraphrasing- that as the lead males they were more important and not expendable. And the creator breaking it all down isn't doing himself any favors IMO.

He actually calls Lauren magic, yet still she was just not worthy enough of not being cut out, by their standards. Her absence, more than her presence will bring more to the show. Ludicrous and insulting. She truly is a professional. Kudos to her and much success.

I'm really upset about her and all actresses that have faced and continue to face this. If you look at those promo posters, the shows main six are 4 men and 2 women. Now it's 4 to 1. Those were the main players of the show, regardless of how much secondary cast there is.

I see it as a huge mistake, purely for shock value and milking sentimentality over creative story development.

And of that main cast, Lauren German' s was the only character to never have family introduced into the show. Now I see why Kelly said she had no family around and was ALL alone. The writers were already throwing a LOT out there about how solitary Shay was.

Not connected, far more expendable, undeveloped plots, poor storylines, backburnered, and yet...she's magical.

Save your flashbacks and let Lauren shine elsewhere.

Edited by Sharkatefonz
  • Love 3

I am still mad that they killed off Shay and even more mad that they didn't give her a family or friends outside of the firehouse. That is lesbian tropes 101 rearing their ugly head and it's said because I want to support this show because I live in Chicago but as a lesbian this hurts.

• Love 4

Chicago Fire is nominated for 3 People's Choice Awards.

1) Best TV Drama

2) Best Actor - Taylor Kinney as Kelly Severide

3) Character you miss the most - Lauren German as Leslie Shay.

Source

I'm especially happy of how popular Shay is proving to be in the afterlife. It can't correct the massive mistake they made in dropping her in favour of Straight!Shay but at least it's acknowledgement of how great she was.

Also, delighted for Taylor Kinney. I think he's been amazing this season and since I don't see him getting any Emmy nominations for his performance it's nice to at least see him get a People's Choice nod.

NBC is the latest network to give out early renewals. The network is bringing back dramas The Blacklist for Season 3, Grimm for Season 5 as well as all 3 Dick Wolf series, Chicago Fire for Season 4, Chicago P.D. for Season 3, and veteran Law & Order: Special Victims Unit for Season 17, just 3 shy of mothership Law & Order drama’s 20-season run as Wolf is once again gunning for the history books. Wolf’s footprint on NBC could further expand next season with the planned second Chicago Fire spinoff, Chicago Med.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/blacklist-chicago-fire-chicago-pd-law-order-svu-grimm-renewed-nbc-1201366899/

• Love 1
(edited)

I had no idea they were a couple.   

Nope - trying to picture it, my brain won't go there.  I thought he was a lot closer to normal than that.  

Like the poster below stated, they've actually been together for awhile, ever since he appeared in her music video. As for his being closer to normal, well if you believe Gaga in this video from The Ellen Degeneres Show, he's actually a hidden weirdo. I actually love that Dr. Seuss quote she referenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4G2MTP5RcQ

Edited by truthaboutluv

I'm honestly not interested in new Paramedic girl unless she's either 1) a person of color or 2) the almost doctor medic from before.  I liked that she wasn't all giggly.

Edited by Watermelon

Lauren German will be back on our screens in the fall as Lucifer has been picked up.

She plays Chloe.

The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective CHLOE DANCER (Lauren German, “Chicago Fire”), who initially is dismissive of Lucifer. But she becomes intrigued by his talent for drawing out people’s secrets and his desire to dispense justice, doling out punishment to those who deserve it. As they work together to solve the pop star’s murder, Lucifer is struck by Chloe’s inherent goodness. Accustomed to dealing with the absolute worst of humanity, Lucifer is intrigued by Chloe’s apparent purity and begins to wonder if there’s hope for his own soul yet.

http://comicbook.com/2015/05/09/dc-comics-lucifer-gets-a-series-order-at-fox-official-synopsis/

Show doesn't sound to great but yay Shay.

• Love 1

Via TVLine:

Chicago Fire Boss Talks More Spinoffs, Four-Way (!) Crossover With SVU

By Vlada Gelman / August 13 2015, 12:30 PM PDT

Just how many shows can NBC’s Chicago franchise spawn?

The answer to that question depends on the success of the latest entry to the group, Chicago Med, premiering Nov. 17 at 9/8c.

“There would never be a fourth unless [Chicago Med] works,” executive producer Dick Wolf said Thursday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “If this works, who knows what is possible in the future.”

At the moment, however, “the concern of everybody now is to make this show have the same impact that Fire and P.D. have had,” Wolf added.

Crossovers between the uber producer’s many NBC dramas are already in the works, including a four-way event with Law & Order: SVU slated to air in February and a crossover between the three Chicago shows.

“The crossovers are incredible ratings engines for us,” Wolf said. “What we can’t do is have them become commonplace. [There are] three this season, but they won’t include all the shows.”

Added EP Matt Olmstead: “They’re very daunting. Like most creative endeavors, the daunting ones turn out to be the most gratifying.”

Per TVLine:

TVLine Items: New Chicago Fire Chief, Megan Hilty on TV Land and More
By Rebecca Iannucci / August 19 2015, 12:35 PM PDT

The members of Firehouse 51 might not want to get too comfortable when Chicago Fire returns — at least, not if Fredric Lehne has his way.

The ubiquitous TV actor will recur on Season 4 of the NBC drama as Deputy District Chief Ray Riddle, a gruff, politically savvy fire chief above Boden.

According to EW.com, Riddle is gunning for the Fire Commissioner position — and he doesn’t care if Firehouse 51 becomes collateral damage along the way.

Lehne’s many TV credits include Law & Order: SVU, American Horror Story and Supernatural, as well as the upcoming TNT drama Public Morals.

Chicago Fire returns Tuesday, Oct. 13, at 10/9c.

Seriously? Why put him on Chicago Med instead back on Fire? Ugh! And he's already done with medical school? I guess he's done on Code Black then.

I wonder if Halsted's brother is leaving--he was so much more interesting dropping in on Fire before Med started imo; now he's just sort of bland with dumb story lines. Good that Jeff was able to use that GI bill to pay for medical school. Maybe he'll be bff's with Choi.

• Love 1

I have no idea if the timing works out to him really being a 4th year med student, but he's cute and I missed him. And truthishly, he deserved better than that dumb firehouse, especially now that Shay isn't there.