Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: 40 Days No Escape

Wow. I know this is a hardcore survival show ... but at this point, there needs to be some sort of producer intervention. Honora is completely f-ing her team. She stole Luke and Chris' stuff and threw their things into the river!!!

She's a psycho.

• Love 7

The least Chris and Luke could have done was throw Honora's machete back in the river instead of letting her have it. I'd have not taken such a high road myself. Damn, she is one miserable brat. I bet she has few admirers in the real world.

• Love 4

She's lucky her two partners are male, and (male or female) punching her would probably have gotten the production team to get off their lazy assets and intervene. She's put their lives in Danger with her stunt and is seriously unbalanced. She didn't even complete her original challenge, and has now completely proven that even if she somehow completely finishes the forty day challenge she does not deserve to be on the show. She clearly thinks she is on either Survivor or Big Brother.

Once the show is over, she'll probably get a lot of fans praising her ruthlessness, though... sigh.

• Love 2

I cannot believe that bitch Honora. I would have used the knife to chase her as far away as possible. I certainly hope she is gone next week and the guys hook up with others to replace their survivor tools. I have never really disliked anyone on the show until Honora came along. I pity anyone who has to deal with her on a regular basis. I hope she finds a rock and stays under it. I am by far not a violent person but she is the first person I have ever seen that I desperately want to see get smacked.

• Love 4
(edited)

The worst part is, the producers of the show are dropping the whole group's survival score because they cannot work with Honora!

Those producers are the people responsible for this situation in the first place. There is no reason why they should have included Honora in the XL show. She did nothing impressive the first time, and she tapped out early because she thought it would be nice to lie out and bake in the sun for hours on a brutally hot day. (Such a shocker that she got heat exhaustion!)

Why would the producers decide that background qualified her for this (even more difficult) XL survival challenge?? It makes no sense.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 9

Luke and Chris were wayyyy too nice to her. They should have kicked her from their camp the first time she threw away a tool. Either get it back and apologize or you're out. One strike and you're out. Survival is no joke and they can't afford to put up with her crap.

Also, why wasn't that turtle killed and eaten? Sean is a character but given his background I'm not surprised . His 2 partners, Danielle and the red head (with the perpetual smirk what's her name) really irritate me with their negative attitude when he's actually doing something productive. Alll they do is roll their eyes at him. Turtle selfie? C'mon! I would still kill and eat it no matter what they said. More food for me and I guarantee in a few days they would be eating it too.

• Love 5

If Honora refuses to tap out, and continues to make their lives miserable, can't they like banish her or something? Refuse to let her in their camp or give her any sort of food they find, and let her try to survive out on her own away from them?

Chris and Luke showed remarkable restraint, and tbh, I'm surprised neither one of them punched her.

• Love 4
(edited)

Those guys should have thrown Honora in the river! What a psycho bitch!

I'm glad the three women are doing well. And Dani finally found the other two. She was alone for a week which was impressive. I had a feeling maybe the producers were prodding her in the direction of the other two women.

Is the finale next week already? Did I hear that right? Seems like it would be too soon.

Forgot to add: my favorite scene was when Honora fainted and was laying in the sun spread eagle with the bag over her face and her teammate left her there because he didn't care. That was hardcore hate!

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 2

If Honora refuses to tap out, and continues to make their lives miserable, can't they like banish her or something? Refuse to let her in their camp or give her any sort of food they find, and let her try to survive out on her own away from them?

It's simple-during her next fainting spell, destroy camp, take her knife, and walk away. There is absolutely no way I'd continue living with her. Get far enough away, on the other side of the river where she won't be able to find you. 

As for Shane, I feel like the producers are trying really hard to give him a psycho edit and it's not working (especially when you can compare him to Honora). Instead the girls in his camp are coming off like "mean girl" bitches. They're not cute or funny. You can tell they enjoy pushing his buttons. All they've done is lay around camp and take selfies with turtles. Shane built camp, has built weapons, climbed trees and gotten them some fruit... The guy is trying really hard and they've done nothing. 

• Love 10

If I were Luke and Chris...I'd be sleeping with one eye open.

No kidding! When they gave her her machete back, I was thinking 'Great! Now she can kill you with it!' I know Luke didn't want to deal with another tantrum but there is no way in hell I would have given it back. I would have told her that she could have it back after she found their knife and water bottle at the bottom of the river. She has the maturity level of a preschooler and I hope they kick her out of camp and tell her to go survive on her own. She can climb trees all day - 30 feet! - and survive on fruit.

I guess the other group wasn't really starving or they would have eaten that tortoise in a heartbeat. Yeah, she was cute. But, if I was starving, cute wouldn't be enough to keep me from making her a meal.

• Love 5

Honora is beyond words. So terrible .

Two things that bugged me in addition to Honora, the chick who brought the turtle back knowing that Shane was hungry. If you're not going to eat it, don't go showboatin' :) with it, then set it free.

The other person who annoyed me was Chris. If he didnt' want to eat the fruit. he should have offered it back to Honora or to Luke - not thrown it in the sand. (imo)

• Love 6

Wish those bitches would lay off Shane. When that one gave the interview that he was obviously trying to be cool when it wasn't his personality...isn't that a good thing?! What do you want from him? I was shocked they didn't eat the turtle. Like, it doesn't make sense at all if they haven't eaten in seven days.

Honora. I really think I would have hurt her. Were the cameras/producers not around, she'd be at the bottom of that lake along with the supplies. I wonder she would be around another woman in this situation. She seems to think she is always the victim when it comes to men. I can't remember. Was she the one whose roommate was murdered or something?

• Love 2
(edited)

1. That turtle IS an endangered animal. Killing it is illegal. Do you really expect Discovery to film that and show it on national tv? -> scripted show

2. Honora asked for item she brought . They refused to give it to her. Theoretically she might have taken her survival item and left. How is her wanting her item any different than guy in other episode not sharing knife he brought?

In addition when she passed out in sun no one picked her up and carried her a few feet to shade. So of course their team score should go down.

And seriously throwing food in sand is wrong. Let someone else eat it if you don't like green mango which is tart and commonly used in Thai food.

Yes she acted inappropriately. Yes they acted inappropriately. Yes it was edited to create drama. Bottom line this season is about teamwork drama not naked survival techniques that I want to see.

Edited by SlidingKat
  • Love 2

I didn't know the turtle was endangered. The show didn't inform me of that. So yes, I did want an explanation.

As to the rest: NOPE!

If honora is dumb enough to lie in the shade its on her. And asking for her item back to throw it in the fire/lake in a deranged fit is...not something I'm even going to bother responding to.

The guys acted inappropriately by not berating her to leave.

• Love 4

2. Honora asked for item she brought . They refused to give it to her. Theoretically she might have taken her survival item and left. How is her wanting her item any different than guy in other episode not sharing knife he brought?

It's different because she threw their knife away. She shouldn't get to keep hers after she just destroyed theirs. 

• Love 6

I guess you missed the part where she was trying to burn her fire starting tool? She had already thrown her drill into the fire and was trying to get at the bow and board in the ziplock baggie to also toss in the fire. There is no theoretically, she was actively trying to destroy "her" survival item. Much like an adult won't sit around and watch a toddler destroy property, the guys did the right thing by taking the rest of the fire starter away from her. 

Chris throwing his little piece of mango in the dirt was rude, but doesn't even come close to Honora's actions. 

• Love 4

Throwing food in the sand is more than rude imo when food is scarce to... none. And Chris was not the one who climbed the tree to get the fruit. Luke is the only sane person on that team imo. However, Honora shouldnt have been on this xl show in tne first place imo.

• Love 3

When that one dude got the thorn to the bone in his finger and the narrator mentioned the infection risk, I thought maybe the infection rate is so high because the person has a friend squeeze the hell out of the wound with dirty hands...?

• Love 1

I was extremely annoyed with Honora and decided that there was no way in hell the producers should have extended an invitation to her for XL.  She is a very damaged and immature girl.  If you listen closely, almost all her bitching and whining and attacking were really projecting her own feelings about herself onto her partners, telling them what she thinks they think about her.  Sounded like Luke knew how to handle her using techniques he learned doing wilderness therapy but that's not his job here.  

If her goal was redemption for her piss poor performance in her first attempt, she's just proving to the audience that she isn't up to the challenge once again.

• Love 3

Luke is a very calm meditator. He was using his skills & trying diligently with Honora, but she was having none of it. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when she passed out in the sun. That's the exact same thing she did in the challenge she tapped out of. Ignoring her partner's advice to try to stay sheltered except around dawn & dusk, she spent hours with her lame magnifying glass out in the desert. I guess she didn't learn anything.

I do find it interesting that the all female team & the all male team currently seem to be getting along the best. I'm sure as time goes by there will be changes though.

I couldn't quite make out what Shane said about the time being right & he was ready to be involved with a woman, or something like that. I can't recall which woman was sitting next to him but I could see her shift her entire body subtlety away from him. I haven't liked how the ladies seem to be enjoying poking fun at him but I felt their discomfort in that moment.

• Love 1

I had kind of guessed that the turtle might be an endangered species, but then why wouldn't they bring that up? Its a valid argument against killing the creature, far more so than "Awww, it's cute". I thought that Shane's reaction (for a starving man) to her thoughtlessly parading a food source in front of him was restrained, all things considered.

Random thought:

Neither Luke nor Chris are in the army, correct?

I now want to see E.J. and Honora interact, heh. Or they could have her interact with the trio comprised of two badass ladies and a third badass-in-training lady.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm really disappointed the show brought Honora back, she simply does not belong on this show.  Her personality is more suited to a "Real Housewives" show.  I watch this show for real survival drama, not the manufactured psycho stuff.  It seemed to me like she wanted to tap out but didn't want to give the guys the satisfaction.  She was laying in the sun to deliberately get sick enough to be carried away again.  She also had the attitude that "if I'm not going to make it, I don't want anyone else to make it either".  This is seriously immature behavior not suited for a survival situation.

Did I miss something?  I thought that one of the ladies on Shane's team was near death at the end of last episode, but she looks fine this episode with no mention of her recovery. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 4

It seems as if the groups are breaking into two friends and one outsider.

Alana and the vegetarian making fun of Shane,

Eva and Laura look like they do not trust newcomer Dani after she turns down the lizard dinner, they've been together a while and developed a trust/respect relationship.

Chris and Luke with self-selected outcast Honora. (Interesting the producer condones her conduct)

Of course EJ and Jeff went a long time 'without water' and Hakim could not (after three days without water.....)

• Love 2

I was wondering if the lizard with the worms, wasn't actually worms that he just ate and hadn't digested yet. 

Sad to see them bring back Honora, if I want craycray, I can watch Survivour.

• Love 2
(edited)

Honora should be confined in a mental institution for the rest of her life for the protection of herself and society. She is a sociopath.

I cannot believe they gave her the machete back.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 2

I think Honora is just a big fake, and I'd like to know how much the producers are in on it.  Her facebook page lists her as an actress, and shows her bragging about how her freakout was even bigger than Omarosa's on The Apprentice, then posted #winning and #theatermajor.  So she pulled that stunt on purpose to receive attention, and it's working.

Scroll down to her photo holding up her finger like she's number one.  #smug #fake #scripted

https://www.facebook.com/Honoraborealis?fref=ts

• Love 4

Without a doubt, Chris was out of line for throwing away half of that piece of green fruit that Honora climbed a tree to get. (Indeed, Chris has been 'more than rude' to her in quite a few scenes -- but his behavior still isn't as extreme or as completely unacceptable as Honora's). I don't understand why the producers haven't pulled Honora from the show already. She is obviously very emotionally unstable, and she might even become dangerous.

Honora's emotional instability was apparent in the challenge she tapped out of, when she insisted on lying out in the hot sun despite her partner's repeated admonitions to get into the shade. It was not surprising to me that she ended up getting heat stroke (or whatever that was) and being pulled out of there on a stretcher, unconscious!

When she did the same thing again in the XL show, I think Chris and Luke should at least have tried to get her into the shade --but I'm sure they knew how she had reacted before during the 2-person challenge.

It was probably Honora's way of trying to manipulate Luke and Chris into begging her to return to the shelter. She probably wanted them to fuss and worry about her getting 'sick,' and they just didn't want to play that game.

• Love 4

It seems as if the groups are breaking into two friends and one outsider.

It's generally true that if you have three kids playing together, they tend to do this.  Two or four are fine, but three can cause problems.

• Love 2

I think Honora is just a big fake, and I'd like to know how much the producers are in on it.  Her facebook page lists her as an actress, and shows her bragging about how her freakout was even bigger than Omarosa's on The Apprentice, then posted #winning and #theatermajor.  So she pulled that stunt on purpose to receive attention, and it's working.

Scroll down to her photo holding up her finger like she's number one.  #smug #fake #scripted

https://www.facebook.com/Honoraborealis?fref=ts

To me, it just sounds like she's trying to save face and defend her horrible behavior. If she intimates that it was all fake and was prodded by producers, then it excuses her behavior and gives her a pass for acting like a child because it wasn't real. The fact is, though, that as far as I can remember, there hasn't been a single survivalist on this show to exhibit that sort of destructive, entitled behavior. There have been some shitty contestants, but none who resorted to sabotage like that.

• Love 8

That's possible, but her behavior was so OTT and "unbelievable!" that I think it still my be actually unbelievable.  And it makes no sense for her to be on this extended challenge if she couldn't hack the first one by being so dumb as to lay out in the sun.  It just seems a little fishy to me.  And it's the number one thing people are talking about after the episode.

Today she posted a giant rant about bullying and bullies, and her ever present victimization, of course, but buried in it was a statement that they all want camera time.  She knows how to get it by whining like a four year old.  A terrible four year old, because I certainly don't want to disparage the majority of four year olds who are vastly more mature and functional than she is.

• Love 2

Yeah, but she also said that she gained weight before the challenge, because "that's what survivalists do, and it's also what method actors do". I have no doubt that she wanted camera time (it's still reality tv, at the end of the day), but I just don't buy that the whole thing was scripted and the result of prodding from producers, and she's some kind of method actor who's doing a performance piece or something. It sounds like a cop out.

• Love 3

I wonder about Hakim. his body was far more muscular than the other guys, like a body builder,. I am thinking those muscles might make a bigger demand on his body for water, but this is a guess, not any knowledge. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Please don't take this the wrong way -- but darker colors absorb more of the sun's rays, lighter colors tend to reflect them. (That's why I always buy a car with a light-colored interior, since we live in an area where it gets very hot.)

Maybe Hakim's skin was absorbing more heat than the other guys', or was absorbing it faster, and that led to early heat exhaustion.

Anyway, it's sad that Hakim had to tap out. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do as a survivalist when he had two very capable partners... They called him "The Ninja", and if I recall correctly, they said he's training for that American Ninja Warrior show. Those guys have to be incredibly buff on top, to carry their own weight as they swing their way across tricky obstacles. So Hakim probably has a very different skill set from the other guys.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 2

I would have liked to be in the room when they were recalculating Honora's psr. 

"Okay, she tried to burn her fire starting kit in the fire...that's a new one.  Maybe we should give her bonus points for irony.  And she threw a machete into the river.  I don't think we have a category for that on the form here.  Fishing line, bottle, in the river.  Oh, she went back in the river to finish the job on the bottle.  Do we deduct again for that, or is that double-counting?    Can the psr go negative?  We need a new form here."

• Love 13

I would have liked to be in the room when they were recalculating Honora's psr. 

"Okay, she tried to burn her fire starting kit in the fire...that's a new one.  Maybe we should give her bonus points for irony.  And she threw a machete into the river.  I don't think we have a category for that on the form here.  Fishing line, bottle, in the river.  Oh, she went back in the river to finish the job on the bottle.  Do we deduct again for that, or is that double-counting?    Can the psr go negative?  We need a new form here."

Good one! 

Unfortunately, for the XR version they don't do it that way. They have this dumb system where they don't give each survivor his/her own psr rating, they rate the whole group of three. (That means all those 'deductions' you mentioned are applied to Luke and Chris as well!) 

It's not fair, of course. Survivalists had no choice in who they would group up with --and I'm sure Honora (who tapped out of her original challenge because she insisted on lying out in the hot sun instead of seeking shade) is the one person that no group would have picked!

• Love 1

Shane seems damaged. That makes me sad that the women seem to enjoy egging him on. It is mean spirited imo

Totally hear you.  It's starting to look like he is more generous and caring than his "team mates".  Collecting food for the vegetarian and in his monologues talking about being an effective team mate.  Someone referred to his "Team Mates" as "mean girls".

• Love 5

Oops, I posted on the wrong thread I think.

_____

So Honora basically doesn't learn from her mistakes. Why did she lay in the sun after their trek? So she can get 'heat exhaustion' again like she did in her previous episode and tap out? And if her team didn't support her tree climbing to get fruits...so what? She should have gone out again, and gotten fruit to help out her hunger and energy levels instead of complaining that they were sidelining her. Gosh she is so annoying. Throwing the fire starter in the fire? Then the knife, fishing items, and canteen into the water? What a petulant childish, immature, way to act. Over what? Chris suggesting that she won't make it to day 40? If she couldn't do 21 days how can she make 40---- basic common sense. The guys need to ditch her. She is bad news.

I'm loving the all-girl group right now. They have water, food, camarderie, and shelter...more than what all the other groups have.

I feel bad for Shane. He's trying so hard and the girls are just mocking him. Sending the turtle back was sheer stupidity. When they start starving in a week they will be praying for that turtle to come back.

The Alpha Males are so annoying. They couldn't get to water before losing the black ninja dude? How did they get stuck in the black Palm forest? At least they have water and food now. Too bad their shelter is too far from it.

REPORT THIS POST

• Love 4

I'm loving the all-girl group right now. They have water, food, camarderie, and shelter...more than what all the other groups have.

They certainly made relaxing in the stream look inviting!

• Love 3
(edited)

If Honora agreed to come on XL for a shot at redemption...she has failed MISERABLY.  Wow, I am embarrassed for her right now.  She is acting like a petulant child.  Chris is no peach himself - if he didn't like that fruit, he should have just said I don't like it, here take it back, instead of throwing it away.  Chris was just mad that climbing the tree wasn't "sanctioned" by him.  Luke seems like the most level headed of the three but there are also times where he acts like a jerk.

I missed the first two episodes, so I'm not sure how they selected this group of 12.  I would have loved to see the cute Hawaiian (?) girl that made all the cool things out of palm fronds.  

Edited by greyhorse
  • Love 3

Honora is like a toddler who hasn't fully grasped the difference between positive and negative attention. If she really is an actress, does she honestly think this "role" is going to lead to bigger and better things for her career? That said, Luke is a damn SAINT. He was probably my favorite guy going into this, and my opinion of him has only increased. Except he was dumb to think that Honora was going back in the water to retrieve the bottle she threw in there. It was obvious she was going to sink it.

I am also super disappointed in Alana and Danielle (with Shane). They really are being nasty to the poor guy. Yeah, he's a bit crazy and messed up, but would it kill them to have a little empathy? Even after Shane mentioned the serial killer stuff (which I think he was basically saying the docs had no faith in him whatsoever, and said he would be a disaster), I would have tried saying something like "wow, that makes it even more amazing that you're able to do this kind of stuff! I guess all of us would probably get a doctor to think we're nuts, since we're out here naked and afraid!" Instead, these women are rolling their eyes at all his attempts to get along. I'd rather be out there with Shane than with either of those chicks.

Eva is a badass for staying out there with that cut. I hope that stubbornness doesn't become her downfall, though.

• Love 7

Honora is horrible. But Chris is awful too. He's a pompous egotistical bullying jerk. I recall hating him his first time around too. He had a similar partner, a woman who wasn't great and tapped out, but he treated her like garbage.

• Love 2

My theory about Honora is that she was not able to bring her meds with her= crazy irrational behavior..

The way those girls treat Shane is despicable. Being hungry can bring out the worse in people, Shane is attempting to control himself, and make the best ofit. Those girls, I will call them girls, are vile human beings. True colors.

• Love 6