Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: 40 Days No Escape

I agree that they don't treat him very well, but I think it's because he got off on the wrong foot with them from the start.  He is admittedly psycho and says he has issues.  He completely alienated them on the first few days with his "I'm the man, do as I say" attitude.  Then he broke one of their machetes.  So I can't really blame them at all for not warming up to him, particularly since he seems completely oblivious to how he comes across.  I do think that not eating the tortoise was poor of them.  Not sure at all why not.  There is a lot of meat on that tortoise that could have sustained them.

Chris and Shane both seem to have issues with women.  They seem to think that the show exists for them, and the women are just accessories that they have to drag along.  Chris probably belonged better on the "alpha male" tribe.  While EJ is a military guy, I don't see anything particularly all that "alpha" about any of EJ, Jeff and Hakim.  Would have been interesting seeing Chris and Shane on the same team.  But I guess they wanted more drama.

• Love 1

Interesting that hungry and exhausted Honora had enough pep in her step to run, gazelle-like, through the forest so she could ditch the water bottle. Even if she is a plant, I have to wonder what kind of person--no matter how career-motivated--would volunteer to act like an utter asshole in a survival situation. They should encourage her to climb the highest tree possible and use that time to de-camp and disappear.

• Love 2

It looks like in the future episodes, the teams group together into one big team. In theory, it should work better since they only have to maintain one fire, can hunt more effectively as a group, feel safer, share what they brought, etc... . I wonder if they'll splinter back into smaller groups. I would setup shop near running water.

Honora is ridiculously bad. I agree she acts like a 6 year old. Not sure what will happen with her. Maybe they'll take a vote and banish her. Maybe she'll be on probation. Either way, I think no one will trust her and it will eat away at her. I don't see how she can be salvaged.

Hakim had stomach cramps which may not have been caused by dehydration. Maybe that's why the other 2 weren't as negatively effected. Maybe black people react differently.

Not sure if the turtle (I think it was really a tortoise) was protected, Shane said he would eat it if he found it later.

I loved Luke's deadpans to the camera when Honora was sinking his bottle in the river.  "I don't think she's getting it, I think she's sinking it...yep, she's sinking it."  ROFLMAO!!!

• Love 4

I agree that they don't treat him very well, but I think it's because he got off on the wrong foot with them from the start.  He is admittedly psycho and says he has issues.  He completely alienated them on the first few days with his "I'm the man, do as I say" attitude.  Then he broke one of their machetes.  So I can't really blame them at all for not warming up to him, particularly since he seems completely oblivious to how he comes across.

I totally missed that...did they show it in the regular episode? I don't remember him being all "I'm a man, do as I say." He wanted to get off the ground to sleep, and they basically wouldn't let him build a platform. He mentioned that men are stronger physically than women, but that is a fact (that for some reason a lot of my fellow females are offended by), and we don't know that he said that TO the women (he said it to camera). I didn't see him break the machetes at all. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention?

• Love 4

Not sure if the turtle (I think it was really a tortoise) was protected, Shane said he would eat it if he found it later.

I didn't get why they didn't eat the turtle either.  Is it because the woman thought it was cute and couldn't bear to kill it?  She said something about getting some karma from nature about not killing it.  Then Shane said he would eat it later if he found it.  If he really wanted it, seriously, how fast could this tortoise move?  He could have gone right back after it and caught it.

Mosquito net as a survival item is ingenious.  I don't watch every single Naked and Afraid, so I'm not sure if anybody has had one before.  But it's great for fishing, it can provide warmth, and obviously can keep the bugs away which would drive me nuts.

• Love 4
Hakim had stomach cramps which may not have been caused by dehydration. Maybe that's why the other 2 weren't as negatively effected. Maybe black people react differently.

I think that's really, really, really unlikely. Black people aren't a different species from white people, and no, to someone else's point earlier in the thread, white people do not "reflect the sun" while black people absorb it. Skin tones aren't like car paint. People with lighter skin are actually much, much more likely to have issues with the sun due to burning more easily.

It's much more likely that everyone comes into this having consumed different diets and going through different workouts and training regimens beforehand and perhaps Hakim didn't deal well with the change in diet or sudden lack of readily available water or had a delayed reaction to something he ate just before filming started, or he overexerted himself and his body wasn't used to doing so much work with so little hydration.

• Love 8
(edited)

I guess we'll find out tonight what happened with Honora.

Personally, I'm hoping she was next to tap out - and we don't have to watch (or hear) any more of her whining and her crazy!

As for Shane being ostracized by Alana and Danielle (apparently they freaked out because they think he's crazy): that's unfortunate, but we've seen it before. 

Remember Derek and Angela? They pretty much had to eat rats, if they wanted protein... so that's what Derek did.

Yes, Derek acted kind of crazy when he was really hungry, waiting to cook and eat the rats. Yes, he offered some to Angela in a sort of sarcastic tone (since he already knew she thought it was disgusting). But Derek wasn't the first TV survivalist that I've seen eat rats to survive, and he certainly isn't the first person to lose his emotional equilibrium due to hunger.

I think the fact that he was willing to eat whatever protein was available to him is a *good* thing. But of course, Angela was totally alienated by it --and it seems like the producers took her side and agreed with her that it was Derek's fault she freaked out.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
(edited)

One thing that I remembered about Hakim's previous challenge was that it was in a much cooler environment (India) than the 102+ weather that we have seen in this challenge. Dunno if that was a factor or not.

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Love 1

I think that's really, really, really unlikely. Black people aren't a different species from white people, and no, to someone else's point earlier in the thread, white people do not "reflect the sun" while black people absorb it. Skin tones aren't like car paint. People with lighter skin are actually much, much more likely to have issues with the sun due to burning more easily.

While I agree that white skin burns more easily, black people do absorb more sunlight than white people. White people do reflect more light. In this regard it really isn't any different than car paint. Not sure if skin color was a factor or not, but white and black people are not exactly the same outside of skin color and hair type. For example, black people are much more susceptible to certain diseases. The converse is also true.

• Love 1

I missed the original episode Luke was on, but watching this, I've developed a wee bit of a crush on him.

Honora - judging from her FB page, this is a girl who THRIVES on attention. With a TOTAL lack of self-awareness. Dumb and selfish.

• Love 1

It's much more likely that everyone comes into this having consumed different diets and going through different workouts and training regimens beforehand and perhaps Hakim didn't deal well with the change in diet or sudden lack of readily available water or had a delayed reaction to something he ate just before filming started, or he overexerted himself and his body wasn't used to doing so much work with so little hydration.

As a black person, I'd like to thank you for pointing this out.

• Love 2

Honora should have been paired with the mean girls. Shane should have been paired with Luke and Chris. Then I could dislike one entire team (mean girls). I am so disappointed with Dani (?, the blonde vegetarian who has/had a fever) since I liked her when she was on the show last season. I'm sure Shane can be annoying but I think he means well (good intentions) and just says outrageous stuff at times (but the others seems to over-react to anything he says, even if not controversial). Currently I don't mind Shane and I dislike the two "mean girls" with him. I find it interesting that they are showing this ugly side of themselves since I liked at least one previously (I don't remember the other one much).