Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 07/13/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

ABC News wrangled Dan Abrams to participate and slowly explain something RO  and others told her SEVEN MONTHS ago, on that same stage.  Puhlease

In the words of Whoopi - right, right, right right right. 

http://jezebel.com/whoopi-goldberg-finally-admits-bill-cosbys-probably-a-r-1717765588

Jezebel chimes in

After repeatedly using her platform on The View to argue that we can’t know for sure if Bill Cosby is a serial rapist, Whoopi Goldberg finally admitted that Cosby’s numerous alleged victims are probably telling the truth.

During Tuesday’s show, legal analyst Dan Abrams was invited to literally help Whoopi understand this situation. In light of The Cosby Show frontman’s testimony released last week in which he admitted to purchasing quaaludes for sex with women, Abrams parsed the statute of limitations law, explaining to Whoopi that those relating to Cosby’s crimes have all expired.

In response, Whoopi said, “If this is to be tried in the court of public opinion, I gotta say, all of the information that’s out there kinda points to ‘guilt.’”

Yes Whoopi, yes.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just came from reading and commenting on the story on Jezebel. Unfortunately, many of the readers over there are falling for this bullshit so Whoopi will likely sail right through this unscathed. Very disappointed. I also felt like the author of the story fell for it as well. I wish some of you here would go over there to comment because I don't think most of the people there are as aware of Whoopi's crap as we are.

I am katbrigz over there, by the way, and I am perpetually in the greys.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 6

Well, if someone wasn't a regular viewer and only followed this topic through the tabs and online media I can see where the conclusion 'better late than never" might be reached.   But, unfortunately I've watched this mess long enough to know better.

On the other hand, Corporate America is dishing out the only punishment Cosby will ever receive and today, it took away his most famous defender.  So there's that.  Whoopi is going to protect her checkbook above all else. 

• Love 7

I just came from reading and commenting on the story on Jezebel. Unfortunately, many of the readers over there are falling for this bullshit so Whoopi will likely sail right through this unscathed. Very disappointed. I also felt like the author of the story fell for it as well. I wish some of you here would go over there to comment because I don't think most of the people there are as aware of Whoopi's crap as we are.

The people on The View's Facebook page are negatively commenting on The Whoopster's "come to Jesus" interview with Dan Abrams.  They weren't fooled & most are as disgusted as we are!!

• Love 13

Now that Whoopi has this "new" information, and she sees clearly that he is guilty and she was wrong, she owes the audience an apology, not to mention the women she basically slandered.  But she should have apologized to the audience at a minimum.

I loved your entire post bannana and totally agree.  The audience was only there to applaud.  Did you notice how she paused and looked at the audience before saying it seems Cosby is probably guilty?  

GiveMeSpace, I'm over at Jezebel now and will definitely make a comment.  

• Love 5

In this clip from The View (from earlier this season), RO specifically mentions the Statute of Limitations being over, to which Whoopi responds "Yeah, well, what're you gonna do?"

Its at around the 8:35 mark.

• Love 16

I know I'm off topic here, but could you explain what "in the greys"  means on that site?  I've seen it a few times, and I don't get the reference. 

• Love 1

I call BS on this crap!  I haven't watched (again) since RO left as I have found Whoopie completely insufferable!  Her defense of Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson, Chris Brown, Bill Cosby, etc., etc. is unforgivable!  Whoopie is an imbecile and an unfeeling, ignorant bitch.  So, I call BS on her "performance" today!

• Love 10

I know I'm off topic here, but could you explain what "in the greys"  means on that site?  I've seen it a few times, and I don't get the reference. 

They put your comment in moderation and it is greyed out until it is approved

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, it's BS.   Just a few days ago, Whoopi was asking why the women didn't go to the hospital and get rape kits done when they were raped.  And making the comparison between her losing the Slimfast endorsement deal to people accusing Cosby of rape.  

it wasn't the statute of limitations that she didn't understand.  She was focused on people trying to destroy Cosby's reputation.  

ETA- thanks, Roger!

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
(edited)

In this clip from The View (from earlier this season), RO specifically mentions the Statute of Limitations being over, to which Whoopi responds "Yeah, well, what're you gonna do?"

Its at around the 8:35 mark.

Yes!  I remember this clearly.  Thank you for posting it Richard.  I reposted it on Jezebel.  Also, I miss RO but I'm glad she opted out of the added stress this job clearly brought to her life. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6
(edited)

That clip of RO along with the memories of how engaged she was about so many things like politics, popular shows like Homeland (we had to miss her during GOT) so many things like her warmness and professionalism during interviews... the wrong co-host left and RO should have been the damn moderator when she came back.

I know why she left, bless her heart, but jeebus - the continuation of Whoopi is just beyond at this point.

I know, i should LET IT GO. ;)

eta: Looks like Whoopi's light bulb moment is getting the proper coverage for the TPTB.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 8

Thanks for the backup, Cosmocrush. I made some of the same points in another post before I saw your comments. I have always been confused by the commenting system over there, but you get voted out of the grays by other commenters from the best I can determine. I voted up your comments. It just really disturbed me that so many people are patting her on the back for this shit when we all know it is bullshit. I just watched the beginning of yesterday's show and it was clearly a setup for today's skit.

• Love 4

I am new, so hello there everyone. :-)

The host changes have been constant for the last few years. When the show first started the hosts stayed forever before the first change was ever made.

I watch sporadically, just host chat. I could care less about the guests.

My thoughts about the hosts and all the changes that are happening:

Rosie 0. is a much better moderator and always kept the show moving.and ligthhearted when she was moderating. But, Rosie. O needs to have  alot of creative control though as Rosie does not like to be second fiddle and when given that I prefer the View with Rosie. Whoopie is there just for the easy money and it shows but I don't think Whoopie is going anywhere. I do feel very sad for her dealing with her brother's death so soon after her mother's.

My feelings with Sherri is she interrupts too much. She really needs this job right now alot though. She can be very funny so I am happy they are bringing her back. Maybe she will tone it down as she certainly has had alot of life lessons since she left, She also got a real wake up call when she got dumped. I think she will reign it in more.

Stacy, just no!

Michelle Collins- I don't know her well, but she appears sweet. It seems like she doesn't get a chance to talk alot so I would like to hear what she has to say about things if the others would be so kind.

Candace Bure, I wish they would make her a permanent host. I am a born again Christian/staunch conservative so I always agree with her. Plus she doesn't get flustered when people are not agreeing with what her POV is.. I read an article that they are thinking that Nicolle Wallace is not polarizing enough and they need someone more like Elisabeth H. so I think Candace would be perfect. A drawback is she lives in Ca. with school age children. I was not crazy about Elisabeth on the View but I think she is great on Fox and Friends.

Nicolle Wallace is a really sweet person but she is more moderate than conservative. I didn't even know who she was when she came but then I watched the movie 'Game Change' where Sarah Paulson played Nicolle and my eyes were opened and I really started to respect Nicolle for giving up on Sarah Palin. As a true conservative, Sarah was never my cup of tea but who knew she was so difficult. I hope they keep Nicolle around, if for no other reason than to keep Whoopie's rants toned down. I do think they both truly like each other though. 

Rosie P., I am so glad she is leaving, but I truly think she was blindsighted when she was let go and for that, I feel bad for her. But, I am so tired of her talking so much and it is always about some cause. Her activism gets tiring.

Raven Symone- I like her alot and I think she is learning to hold her own. I feel she has a strong dislike for Rosie P. though. Her rolling eyes says it all. Raven can be a little too liberal for me, but to each his/her own. I loved her on Cosby and I am sick about the Bill Cosby legacy being put right down the drain. What is wrong with him?

I don't like The Talk but I wish that Whoopie would moderate like Julie Chen and let the hosts speak when called upon giving everyone a turn with the moderator NOT always having the last word. Of course everyone is scared to death of Julie when her husband can fire them on the spot,

Well, they all leave on August 6 and come back in Sept, so we shall see. What a cushy job they have and Whoopie is well aware of this.

• Love 3

For someone who was born yesterday, Whoopi Goldberg sure looks old. 

Honestly, I hope this Judd Apatow person comes in and still blasts her a new one, because that was the biggest load of horse poo I have ever seen in my whole entire life. People have been telling her this for months - Rosie was telling her this months ago, and Whoopi had the unmitigated gall to compare Tiger Wood's sexcapdes to this. because people make stuff up. "I suppose so," was Whoopi's answer when Rosie asked if she really believed if women just woke up and went "I'm going to ruin Bill Cosby's life today." 

She sat there for months defending this man, up to and including what? twoish weeks ago saying "come at me, I don't care?" 

And. "Kinda" it "Kinda" looks like guilt. nice. you can get people off your back, pretend to get 'educated' and enlightened, but still leave yourself open by saying "well, I said, "kinda" with the information I was told.

Woman, don't pee on my leg, and tell me it's raining. I hate you regardless but at least, i would have had a little less hate if you just continued being stupid and ignorant in your defense, not insulting and pretending we are all ignorant in your come to Jesus moment. 

• Love 18

Eight days.  Actually, seven.

so a week.  she basically goes. "I'm right, you're wrong, don't tell me I don't know anything," after being told for months (which is why she's probably being harassed in the first place) and then it's like "Oh but i am so wrong." so okay. you're wrong. where's the public apology for the people you told to piss off them? Seriously. ignorance is not bliss when your job is to be knowledgeable, and you're commentating about it. 

• Love 7

For someone who was born yesterday, Whoopi Goldberg sure looks old. 

Brilliant! 

Whoopi is such a narcissist that she believes her disgruntled audience will lap up her supposed change of heart. If she just came clean and said, "I got a lot of flak for my comments and took it to heart. You were right; I was wrong," most people would respect that. Instead, in her inarticulate - almost incoherent - way, she gives a middle-school-worthy performance to save her bank account. She will never be in Hasselbeck territory as far as my dislike for her, but she is damn close.

• Love 18

I wish I could add some pearls of wisdom but you all have already said it all so beautifully and succinctly. Whoopi is full of crap and it is painfully obvious that the last two days have been nothing more than desperate and poorly handled attempts at image rehab and damage control. Sorry Whoop, even those who don't know you as well as we do aren't buying what you're trying to sell. Sit down.

• Love 14
(edited)

Here's what really bugs me about this Whoopi fiasco--she by all rights has the freedom to say and feel however she does about Cosby or whatever celeb she feels needs defending. In fact, her opinions, as outrageous or ridiculous as it may seem to others in fact make the show interesting. What she doesn't have the right to do is get angry or shut down any opposition to those that feel differently than her, making sure she always had the last word and never even trying to see the other side. That makes the show boring, one sided and infuriating.

What she's also now done by this awful fake apology and "realization" is made it so that now she and others on this show will be less likely to express their opinions because Whoopi can't play nicely with others. Poor Whoopi! Victim again! Look what happened when she disagreed with others! Better keep any interesting opinions to myself! Its already run off Rosie O (and Joy again?) so basically this show is going to be even more PC and more fluff. Thanks a lot Whoopi!

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 13

it's hard to uber-tweet something, so I basically tweeted ABC/TheView that what Whoopie learned today, Rosie told her months ago #DontCare #FireWhoopi lol (I think I added the e lol)but seriously. it still irks me. it's not even the fact she wanted to defend Bill. Her perogative, but it was the nasty way she told ppl off. 

• Love 12

Only Whoopi could lecture the audience about the facts and make the definitive pronouncement regarding guilt when she was the one who had to have an attorney explain it to her.

• Love 18
But what I absolutely cannot accept is her nasty, dismissive, arrogant attitude toward people who disagree with her. Shut up, don't call me, don't tweet me, you're nasty and I don't want to hear and (all together now) I DON'T CARE!  That's a real mean-ness of spirit, the adult equivalent of sticking her fingers in her ears and screaming lalalalala I don't hear you because I'm so superior to you.  It's just loathsome and that, more than her misguided opinions, is why I've finally lost all respect for Whoopi.

RIGHT!  Whoopi went from "come at me, I don't care"  to "Back OFF, I don't want to hear it"   and now to " Oh, I guess maybe I didn't  understand the entire issue, let me explain it to you." 

(insert picture of Whoopi furiously back-pedaling a very large tricycle) 

• Love 15

Just posted on The View FB wall.....

"Glad to see Whoopi do a 180 on her opinion!  My guess is she had to so they brought a lawyer out to explain it to her in front of us and now she gets it......that's right Whoop, the statute of limitations was always known to us, get your head out of your ass!  Oh and btw, don't tweet me, don't email me because I DON'T CARE!"

• Love 23

Well, all I can say is thank goodness Whoopi has given us all closure on the Bill Cosby matter -- I am sure the 50+ women raped/violated by him feel totally vindicated and relieved tonight since Whoopi finally has determined that they, indeed, were raped/violated.

Bill Cosby certainly has now received the proper punishment for his crime(s) since Whoopi has stated that he is a serial rapist and told him to either talk or shut up -- poor Mrs. Cosby, who is probably at this very minute consulting with a divorce lawyer, after all these years because Whoopi has said her husband is a serial rapist . . .

The world is right again -- thank you much oh mighty Whoopi!!!!!

• Love 14

Well, all I can say is thank goodness Whoopi has given us all closure on the Bill Cosby matter -- I am sure the 50+ women raped/violated by him feel totally vindicated and relieved tonight since Whoopi finally has determined that they, indeed, were raped/violated.

Bill Cosby certainly has now received the proper punishment for his crime(s) since Whoopi has stated that he is a serial rapist and told him to either talk or shut up -- poor Mrs. Cosby, who is probably at this very minute consulting with a divorce lawyer, after all these years because Whoopi has said her husband is a serial rapist . . .

I can't believe she didn't separate from him long ago.  There is no tragedy here (re: marriage).  Camille is mature, there is enormous wealth, no small children to bring up.  Get the hell out, carve out and rock a new life.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I'd love to know who got Whoopi to change her mind, an agent or an ABC exec?  I think there's something wrong with her.  If you are just an occasional watcher, you probably think her "We don't know, we weren't there" is reasonable and purposefully open minded so as to not to rush to judgement until all the factors are in, but as the Jon Oliver piece explained, it really is that something is wrong with her empathy for victims and she just ignores facts and says things like torture leads to good things.  It does make me more likely to hate watch the show knowing she ate her words a little though and won't be defending him, I haven't been tuning in lately; the Cosby story makes my blood boil.

I think the difference between Rosie O. and cohosts like Raven, Sherri, Rosie P, and Elisabeth is that they always mention how much they have to study to engage in hot topics, but Rosie O. actually has an interest in the world and is interested in other people.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 12
(edited)

This must've been some wake up call for Whoopi - that people don't like her or respect her opinion as much as she thinks they should.  Plus she's not even that funny or entertaining. Just like Cosby, her time has come and gone. I thought John Oliver's piece was particularly damaging. No comments, just Whoopi mouthing off offensively. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 13

Whoopi is such a narcissist that she believes her disgruntled audience will lap up her supposed change of heart. If she just came clean and said, "I got a lot of flak for my comments and took it to heart. You were right; I was wrong," most people would respect that. Instead, in her inarticulate - almost incoherent - way, she gives a middle-school-worthy performance to save her bank account.

Agree. But would take some integrity. She and this whole show are lacking it.

Here's what really bugs me about this Whoopi fiasco--she by all rights has the freedom to say and feel however she does about Cosby or whatever celeb she feels needs defending. In fact, her opinions, as outrageous or ridiculous as it may seem to others in fact make the show interesting. What she doesn't have the right to do is get angry or shut down any opposition to those that feel differently than her, making sure she always had the last word and never even trying to see the other side. That makes the show boring, one sided and infuriating.

What she's also now done by this awful fake apology and "realization" is made it so that now she and others on this show will be less likely to express their opinions because Whoopi can't play nicely with others. Poor Whoopi! Victim again! Look what happened when she disagreed with others! Better keep any interesting opinions to myself!

Amen! If you believe this guy, believe him. But her offensive defensiveness was just obnoxious and demonstrated her willful ignorance of the subject she was discussing.

• Love 6

Someone on Jezebel had a good idea for a weekly segment  " Explaining things to Whoopi"

So am I the only one who was disgusted by the two hosts brushing their teeth with the 250.00 toothbrush?

I was wondering if they used the toothbrushes in order to make sure that they could take them home.  It's got my germs - i get to keep it!  that was yesterday, right?  

And i wasn't crazy about the innuendo about the vibrating toothbrushes either.  Juvenile! 

• Love 2

Man, I hate to be spoken to like I am 6 yrs old... and then to have WG repeat every thing Abrams said over and over to make sure I got it. HMMMM...got it when the first stories began to appear. These women had nothing to gain financially coming forward.

• Love 9
(edited)

Well, let's not get carried away here.  I think her line was something like, 'IF we are going by the court of public opinion, it KINDA looks like he's guilty....[look at audience and pause for applause].

I'd love to know who got Whoopi to change her mind, an agent or an ABC exec?  I think there's something wrong with her.  If you are just an occasional watcher, you probably think her "We don't know, we weren't there" is reasonable and purposefully open minded so as to not to rush to judgement until all the factors are in, but as the Jon Oliver piece explained, it really is that something is wrong with her empathy for victims and she just ignores facts and says things like torture leads to good things.  It does make me more likely to hate watch the show knowing she ate her words a little though and won't be defending him, I haven't been tuning in lately; the Cosby story makes my blood boil.

I think the difference between Rosie O. and cohosts like Raven, Sherri, Rosie P, and Elisabeth is that they always mention how much they have to study to engage in hot topics, but Rosie O. actually has an interest in the world and is interested in other people.

In kindergarten (or at least my niece's kindergarten class) they teach kids how to recognize patterns.    My big problem with Whoopi's staged about turn today was, among other things, it completely ignored Whoopi's pattern of defending fellow big celebrities despite a plethora of evidence to the contrary, refusing to entertain they might be guilty and doing it in a way that just turns people off. 

If she would have just come out and said something like, "I've been really re-thinking this topic and listening to what people have to say and I've changed my position about Cosby" it might be believable.   But pretending like she didn't know what the statute of limitations is or why a rape victim might not report it - especially 20-30-40 years ago - then bullshit. Or maybe I should say chicken shit. 

Hey Whoopi, today's show was a big failThis show is done and you killed it.   <That was my tweet to the show this afternoon. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 17
(edited)

Raven really doesn't need The View for a paycheck like Whoopi though.

That's right.  She's not supporting a dozen people, and in fact declared herself retired until she 'came out' on social media a couple years ago.  

I haven't been watching every single day so please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing anything where Raven actually defends Cosby.  She only said he was never inappropriate with her four year old self and that she credits him with starting her career.    That's not the same thing as screaming that she doesn't believe Cosby's accusers and everyone else can just shut up or refusing to consider that he in fact just may be a serial rapist. I've only heard her say she was uncomfortable commenting on it and that she had no personal knowledge of Cosby's repulsive behavior in the past.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8