Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Is Gabrielle Dalman going to Worlds?

I don’t think she’s said anything explicitly on the subject, but I’d guess the motivation to end this season on a more positive note would be powerful.

Kaetlyn has said she’s going (no doubt hoping to be the first Canadian woman to repeat at Worlds since Karen Magnussen).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

I feel so bad for Ross. I thought the top three at Nationals should go. I still think that. I also thought if anyone got bumped, it should have been Vincent, but I did change my mind about that. Vincent was 3rd at Nationals and 6th at the Olympics. He deserved to be there.

It is hard to imagine this Olympics without Adam. I guess for me the question is how would the placements have been different. Adam was 3rd out of 5 in the Team event. Vincent could have done similarly, since I doubt they would have put Ross in for the team event. Then Adam got 10th in the individual event. He was never going to medal. Ross could have managed a top 15 finish. Is the difference between 10th and 15th enough to leave someone out of the Olympics? I don’t know.

Adam was a wonderful presence at the Olympics, and he did skate 3 good programs. But he really did flake at Nationals, and this was the third Olympic Year Nationals where he didn’t deliver. I like Adam, but I feel really bad for Ross. At least he seems to be moving past it.

• Love 4

HartofDixie, thanks for posting those links. Good for Ross not letting this disappointment drag him down.

18 hours ago, redpencil said:

Chucking the bonus altogether would be just as bad as what we have now. Strive for balance, I say.

17 hours ago, MostlyC said:

I'd like to see the end of backloading programs.  a) It's not fun to watch b) clearly it's not the crazy hard feat that it used to be.  I'd rather see well balanced programs.

I agree, balance is key. Maybe a rule that there must be so many jumps or elements in each half of the program. And while I'm making new rules, I hereby decree that music from Les Mis, Phantom, Turandot, and Moulin Rouge be banned from use for (at least) the next five years. Either that, or start giving bonus points to skaters who use any other music. That should do the trick!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And now, representing Italy, Carolina Kostner and her walker, skating to Hallelujah and Carmen! 

Nice mix for the SP. For the FS, I suggest Moonlight Sonata and Nessun Dorma.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And now, representing Italy, Carolina Kostner and her walker, skating to Hallelujah and Carmen! 

With "Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge mixed in for good measure. 

• Love 4

I do expect the backloading to be banned for the same reason they don't allow skaters to just do lutzes and axels over and over.  I hope they also are proactive and prevent frontloading too. 

With regard to the topic of compulsories, I'm in favor.  Not figures but a routine that every skater has to do.  Make it how a skater qualifies for the short program but doesn't count after that.  Would it get boring to watch?  Sure, but a string of bad routines also gets boring.  And compulsories tend to be simple in comparison to the main routines so we could see really well done elements that don't get huge scores.  I know I miss seeing spirals and laybacks, and a compulsory routine could also require simple but well done jumps like a delayed axel or an assortment of singles.  I don't expect compulsories to ever return to the senior level but I'd love to see them.  I still rewatch the gymnastics compulsories from 1996 Olympics.  It was a great way to get a crash course in excellent gymnastics versus seemingly well done gymnastics.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, redpencil said:

They added the bonus specifically because some skaters were doing the opposite and front loading. I'm fully on board modifying the rules so that only a certain number of jumps will qualify for the bonus. Out of 6-7 jumping passes, I'd probably allow 3-4. Most skaters aren't going to stick more in the back half if they don't get the bonus for them; might as well do at least a couple on fresh legs instead. Chucking the bonus altogether would be just as bad as what we have now. Strive for balance, I say.

Another option is to not allow the bonus to be in effect unless at least 2 jumps have been attempted in the first half of the program.  Or perhaps anyone who doesn't perform a couple jumps in the first half gets an automatic deduction which would cancel out any bonus. The idea behind the bonus is to reward skaters for doing jumps on tired legs.  If they choose to do as little as possible in the first half of the program in order to save their legs for the bonus; they don't deserve the extra credit.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I do expect the backloading to be banned for the same reason they don't allow skaters to just do lutzes and axels over and over.  I hope they also are proactive and prevent frontloading too. 

With regard to the topic of compulsories, I'm in favor.  Not figures but a routine that every skater has to do.  Make it how a skater qualifies for the short program but doesn't count after that.  Would it get boring to watch?  Sure, but a string of bad routines also gets boring.  And compulsories tend to be simple in comparison to the main routines so we could see really well done elements that don't get huge scores.  I know I miss seeing spirals and laybacks, and a compulsory routine could also require simple but well done jumps like a delayed axel or an assortment of singles.  I don't expect compulsories to ever return to the senior level but I'd love to see them.  I still rewatch the gymnastics compulsories from 1996 Olympics.  It was a great way to get a crash course in excellent gymnastics versus seemingly well done gymnastics.

But isn't the short program really the same as the compulsories you're suggesting?  There are required elements for the short program that every competitor is required to do.  Of course, there is a lot of leeway as to which ones are performed as well as the order and music.  I don't want to see layback spins from skaters who don't have the flexibility in their back to do them well, since that's my major problem with everyone trying to do a Biellman spin.  Same thing with spirals.  Yes, it would separate the wheat from the chaff to an extent, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching a bunch of botched laybacks in hopes of seeing a couple of really good ones.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 4:44 PM, gingerella said:

It felt like I'd watched the same program with the same costuming and music like 3 times over the course of the Olympics, and that's not including the Skating Finale. What I meant was that people use the same music/costumes/program for Team, Individuals, and it seemed in some cases like I'd heard certain songs 3 times, so I assumed they used the same music for their short and long program. Maybe I'm mistaken but it sure felt like the music and routines were repetitive. And if one skates in team, I think they should have a different routine for individual. Make it more challenging for them to not re use programs within one overall competition. Again, YMMV.

On 2/28/2018 at 5:01 PM, SeanC said:

Literally nobody used the same music, and I don't think anybody repeated costumes, though given that costumes cost money, it's vaguely possible somebody did.

Making people develop 4 programs will majorly decrease skating quality in both competitions.  There's a reason that skaters don't vary their performances over the course of a season (unless things aren't going well); the idea is to refine a single routine to its optimal form.

It probably also felt like the same program over and over because a lot of the skaters used the same music. While there's always been a lot of overused musical warhorses, it's become even more of an issue under IJS.

Multiple skaters kept using "Hallelujah," "Swan Lake"/"Black Swan," "Moulin Rouge," and "Turandot." In the SD, there was even a warmup group that had THREE different teams all using "Despacito."

Edited by KFC
  • Love 2

I too would love to see more spirals and layback spins and have them hold the position longer than 4 seconds. I think the biellman is compulsory in the short - too bad because I don't find it a pretty move. Almost every skater seem to feel the need to grab their legs.  Not pretty.

• Love 6

Ashley specifically said she was not criticizing Zag, but the loophole that allows such programs. 

As mature as Zagitova's response was, I would have preferred if she had actually had the quote translated for herself, realized she was not being criticized personally, and refused to play this game at all. Ashley's statement has been blown way out of proportion given what she actually said. 

Personally, I would like to see Chock and Bates, and Nathan do well at Worlds. I fear Nathan may be done with skating. I think the USA is going to take a drubbing at Worlds this year.  I hope the Japanese make a big impact.

I would love to see this also, but I wonder if they're still a question mark because of Madison's ankle injury that she has apparently been skating on all season but that was re-aggravated in their SD warm-up. If they are continuing on, and it sounds like that's what they're thinking right now, they might need to shut it down for this season so that she's ready to go for the next one. The Shibs are probably fielding the opportunities that have come up post-medals. I would be surprised if H/D don't go to Worlds, though. 

That number is for the pros, not the celebrities.  The celebrities start off at 125k, and if all goes well and they win they may end up with a total of 350k.

DWTS is probably one of the more lucrative opportunities figure skaters and gymnasts get at this point. The days of multiple tours and television specials and competitions for retired skaters (like ice wars) are over.  Even Stars on Ice is a fraction of what it was even just a few years ago, with many cities cancelled and just a handful of dates. Most of the money in a successful Olympics probably comes from endorsements. So if you can get a chance to get a big DWTS paycheck, it would probably be financially foolish to not take advantage of that. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

As mature as Zagitova's response was, I would have preferred if she had actually had the quote translated for herself, realized she was not being criticized personally, and refused to play this game at all. Ashley's statement has been blown way out of proportion given what she actually said. 

I would love to see this also, but I wonder if they're still a question mark because of Madison's ankle injury that she has apparently been skating on all season but that was re-aggravated in their SD warm-up. If they are continuing on, and it sounds like that's what they're thinking right now, they might need to shut it down for this season so that she's ready to go for the next one. The Shibs are probably fielding the opportunities that have come up post-medals. I would be surprised if H/D don't go to Worlds, though. 

DWTS is probably one of the more lucrative opportunities figure skaters and gymnasts get at this point. The days of multiple tours and television specials and competitions for retired skaters (like ice wars) are over.  Even Stars on Ice is a fraction of what it was even just a few years ago, with many cities cancelled and just a handful of dates. Most of the money in a successful Olympics probably comes from endorsements. So if you can get a chance to get a big DWTS paycheck, it would probably be financially foolish to not take advantage of that. 

Appears to be around 20 tour stops

2018 Tour skaters (so far)

Also I saw on Twitter that Max Aaron is going to Worlds.  Who is he replacing?

2 hours ago, Jillibean said:

It really feels like Figure Skating is dying in the United States, even though it is very popular in other countries.  It really is not worth the commitment and sacrifice for most familes to get their kids to high level.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Max Aaron is replacing Adam (Jason & Ross passed on going to Worlds). Hawayek/Baker are replacing the Shibutanis.

I was hoping the Shibs would be at Worlds. I’m looking forward to seeing how Hawayek/Baker do. I’d love for them to place higher than Hubbell/Donohue.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

It really feels like Figure Skating is dying in the United States, even though it is very popular in other countries.  It really is not worth the commitment and sacrifice for most familes to get their kids to high level.

Are there any collegiate scholarships offered for figure skating? Gymnasts have a fallback plan if they don't make the Olympics (and of course some do both). Is there anything like that for skaters?

• Love 1

I am thrilled for Hawayek and Baker! I do like the Shibs, but this is basically exactly what I wanted to happen for post-Olympic Worlds.

They've got serious potential to be the next big thing in US Ice Dance. I adore their FD. They might need to make a coaching change, for reasons political and otherwise, and Jean Luc should really be thinking about bulking up a bit because right now they're running into the same issues with lifts that young Virtue/Moir did because of their similar heights, but they could be so great. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Are there any collegiate scholarships offered for figure skating? Gymnasts have a fallback plan if they don't make the Olympics (and of course some do both). Is there anything like that for skaters?

Nope, there's no such thing as a figure skating team at the collegiate level.  There are a couple dozen colleges that have synchronized skating teams which compete, but there's no need for individual skaters in that.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2018 at 7:31 PM, doodlebug said:

Obviously, we don't know exactly what they make, but, based on Shawn Johnson's contract, which was made public because she was a minor and it had to be revealed in court (and also Heather Mills, whose contract was revealed in her divorce from Paul McCartney); the stars are paid a lump sum initially and then get weekly payments which escalate if they make the cut week after week.  The winner would make somewhere in the neighborhood of $365,000 it appears. 

This is about what Bindi Irwin made three years ago and another contestant confirmed was the standard contract at the time. Court documents cited:

• a $125K base
  • $10K per week for weeks three and four
  • $15K for week five
  • $20K per week for weeks six and seven
  • $30K per week for weeks eight and nine
  • $50K per week for the final two weeks

On 2/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, Crs97 said:

Moonb have you seen his LP based on Aaron Copland music?  He does a spread eagle as a farmer surveying his land that is sublime.

Let's definitely add extended spread eagles and high altitude deathdrops to the wish list for future choreography.

Appalachian Spring is a classic that I hadn't watched in forever. After that YT suggested old, obsessive media coverage of Boitano's quadruple loop that felt timely. I'm glad he ultimately focused on jumping perfect triple axels instead but the quads were really elegant when landed (:37 in).  

19 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

It's not the same, but I think US Figure Skating offers athlete scholarships. Aren't Vincent and Nathan both headed to college this fall?

Job-wise, I presume shows like the ones under Disney on Ice like to hire skaters with senior level experience.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, herbz said:

and Jean Luc should really be thinking about bulking up a bit because right now they're running into the same issues with lifts that young Virtue/Moir did because of their similar heights, but they could be so great. 

I think this may be exactly why they need a coaching change. Remember Krylova's comments about Tessa and how she treated her skaters who put on weight? 

I'm really happy they're getting to go to Worlds. They should have been competing for the podium by now imo, so this past quad has been frustrating to watch for them.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Vera said:

I think this may be exactly why they need a coaching change. Remember Krylova's comments about Tessa and how she treated her skaters who put on weight? 

I'm really happy they're getting to go to Worlds. They should have been competing for the podium by now imo, so this past quad has been frustrating to watch for them.

Exactly what I was thinking of. Krylova's comments- didn't she call Tessa 'fat and lazy' in the same interview as calling Meryl Davis talentless?- were beyond awful, after two seasons of awful comments about Tessa's body post-surgery. I'm concerned that it will be Kaitlin pressured to lose weight when the obvious solution is to get Jean Luc to work to adapt his physique. Kaitlin already has good core strength.

Really hoping they can make a splash at Worlds. They deserve to be right up there- it's been quite frustrating to see them held back both domestically and internationally for teams (well, Chock and Bates) I don't think are half as talented these past few years. I'm just pleased we get to see that gorgeous Liebestraum one more time, and he is so good at selling the Latin (maybe even the best male dancer at it?)

Edited by herbz
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I don't know about scholarships but there is a US Collegiate Championship.

3 hours ago, halopub said:

Job-wise, I presume shows like the ones under Disney on Ice like to hire skaters with senior level experience

Cruise ships are also a big source of job opportunities for skaters who do not quite make it to elite status.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I don't know about scholarships but there is a US Collegiate Championship.

Cruise ships are also a big source of job opportunities for skaters who do not quite make it to elite status.

I think Agnes Z was skating on a cruise ship. They have different shows for Disney on Ice though it’s not the same as Ice Capades. 

9 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

I think Agnes Z was skating on a cruise ship. They have different shows for Disney on Ice though it’s not the same as Ice Capades. 

Timothy LeDuc was on a cruise ship before he paired up with Ashley Cain.

7 hours ago, Jaded said:

Thought this was cute.

Eh, the transitions are a bit awkward, and that death spiral and the extensions on those lifts leave a lot to be desired.  No way they'd ever get anywhere near the podium!

Yeah I’m not a fan of Adam’s outfit. It looks rather strange. 

Mirai is so young, but the dress and hair adds a decade to her looks. I wish she should’ve worn her hair down and wore something more youthful. 

Anyway, I hope they had a nice time. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

From tonight's red carpet at the Oscars:
MV5BMTc5ODM2OTg4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ3

Adam definitely wants to be the new Johnny Weir.  I can overlook the suspenders, the leather harness, and the shoulderless tuxedo jacket, but shoes with no socks?  No, Adam, just -- NO.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Indy said:

Mirai looks lovely. Adam’s suspenders ate his tuxedo. 

So it appears they were the only skaters that were invited.  The Shibs did attend the Vanity Fair after party.  Ashley posted a pic on Instagram at the beach - you know she's pissed that she missed out!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Adam definitely wants to be the new Johnny Weir.  I can overlook the suspenders, the leather harness, and the shoulderless tuxedo jacket, but shoes with no socks?  No, Adam, just -- NO.

He's so beautiful too, this choice of outfit does him no favors at all.

• Love 4
On 3/4/2018 at 7:29 AM, fan94 said:

I was clicking around after seeing your clip and saw a video of her looking significantly less scary and looking like she was actually fond of Evgenia. I tried to find one of her interacting fondly with Alina and couldn't. I've heard that she's pretty harsh to Evgenia but I am still sticking by my conspiracy theory that this woman doesn't like Alina! 

• Love 3
On 3/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, scarynikki12 said:

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about gymnastics compulsories so I'm glad you mentioned that at the end! When they announced they were getting rid of compulsory gymnastics routines for the Olympics, I was like noooooooooo!!  I agree that although the difficulty level of compulsories is much lower than what we are used to seeing in finals, it really lets you see who has a good solid base of technique. Sometimes in my dance classes, the teachers would have us practice doing single pirouettes (rather than double or triple pirouettes) because even though it's not as flashy, a single turn requires precision and control. For that reason, I would be in favor of compulsories for skating which seems to have turned into a jumpathon lately. I also enjoy seeing how each person interprets the same music and moves differently in compulsories. That's when you can really tell who listens to the music and uses their movements to punctuate the music versus who just mechanically puts their hand where they were told it should go.

• Love 7

I miss gymnastics compulsories and would be in favor of there being a set program that all skaters have to do (maybe they could choose their own music, but the steps/jumps would have to be identical). I don't find gymnastics compulsories boring because, as noted above, they really allowed someone like me, just a fan of the sport who was never a gymnast beyond a few classes when I was 5 years old, the chance to really discern the differences in quality and technique. It was also fun to see that, even with the exact same routine, different gymnasts could bring their own flavor to the routine. See Daniela Silivas' 1988 Olympics compulsory floor for an outstanding example of a routine that is just excellent in all aspects, compulsory or not. I think skating (and moreover, skaters) could really benefit from having to spend more time on the basics of technique, which would likely help lessen injuries and burnout, as well. If it means fewer quads being attempted in the free skate, I'm ok with that.

However, I would not want to see the return of compulsory figures. That was like watching paint dry.

• Love 6
(edited)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf9GSS7H2nQ/?hl=en&taken-by=avantabootlabs

Well, that seems like a really unprofessional overreaction! Yikes! I know Karen said she’s had boot problems, but I don’t remember her blaming the company. It sounds like her pair wore out from use. She’s never said they were poorly made. I definitely didn’t hear  her say anything that “disgraced the name of an Olympian.”

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5
On 3/2/2018 at 12:27 PM, Jeddah said:

I was hoping the Shibs would be at Worlds. I’m looking forward to seeing how Hawayek/Baker do. I’d love for them to place higher than Hubbell/Donohue.

Oh yeah!  IMO they are so much more talented than Hubble/Donohue.  H/B are able to beautifully present a wide variety of programs whereas H/D seem to be stuck on that steamy, smouldering, angsty-ridden dreck.  Go Hawayek/Baker!!!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about gymnastics compulsories so I'm glad you mentioned that at the end! When they announced they were getting rid of compulsory gymnastics routines for the Olympics, I was like noooooooooo!!  I agree that although the difficulty level of compulsories is much lower than what we are used to seeing in finals, it really lets you see who has a good solid base of technique. Sometimes in my dance classes, the teachers would have us practice doing single pirouettes (rather than double or triple pirouettes) because even though it's not as flashy, a single turn requires precision and control. For that reason, I would be in favor of compulsories for skating which seems to have turned into a jumpathon lately. I also enjoy seeing how each person interprets the same music and moves differently in compulsories. That's when you can really tell who listens to the music and uses their movements to punctuate the music versus who just mechanically puts their hand where they were told it should go.

This video is a great example of what a good routine vs an average one.

5 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Well, that seem a like a really unprofessional overreaction! Yikes! I know Karen said she’s had boot problems, but I don’t remember her blaming the company. It sounds like her pair wore out from use. She’s never said they were poorly made. I definitely didn’t hear  her say anything that “disgraced the name of an Olympian.”

Karen never said the name of the company so they took it upon themselves to let the world know and to attack her on social media.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Well, that seems like a really unprofessional overreaction! Yikes! I know Karen said she’s had boot problems, but I don’t remember her blaming the company. It sounds like her pair wore out from use. She’s never said they were poorly made. I definitely didn’t hear  her say anything that “disgraced the name of an Olympian.”

That post appears to have been written by someone who thinks big words are impressive even when used incorrectly.  I think he probably meant "maligned," not marginalized, and...they've been besmirched? Really? Besmirched? Is this guy using a biblical thesaurus? Nothing short of pure alteration? What does that even mean? Is there impure alteration? Did he mean adulteration? The whole thing is practically comical.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 5