Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Looks like the Valieva case will be settled soon. WADA has put RUSADA on formal notice to wrap up the investigation quickly, or it will be taken out of their hands and adjudicated by another body. 

Medals coming soon! And none for you, cheating Russians! 

• Applause 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

The women’s event just now was crazy! 6th, 5th, and 4th place after the short program went 1-2-3. Starr Andrews skated the programs of her life this weekend and got a silver medal! So happy for her 😃

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

The women’s event just now was crazy! 6th, 5th, and 4th place after the short program went 1-2-3. Starr Andrews skated the programs of her life this weekend and got a silver medal! So happy for her 😃

I am freaking out over here! I've wanted a performance like that from her for so long! 

Awesome job, Starr!! <3

• Love 5

This no replays thing sucks. That damn group should have been happy with the fact that more people would know who they were instead of getting mad which lead to the situation skating fans with Peacock are in now. I missed the ladies and wanted to see them.....

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6

Congratulations to Shoma. A few little bobbles, but still put up a great score to handily beat Miura. Camden...what a headcase. Such a beautiful skater, such crappy jumps. I think I've ever seen maybe two clean free skates from him. When he puts it all together, he is competitive. Come on Camden! The US needs someone besides Ilia to show up.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

This no replays thing sucks. That damn group should have been happy with the fact that more people would know who they were instead of getting mad which lead to the situation skating fans with Peacock are in now. I missed the ladies and wanted to see them.....

It's truly enraging. Nothing more than a cash grab. When is that damn suit going to be decided? They're destroying the sport. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

NBC will be airing 90 minutes of coverage this afternoon from Skate Canada. It’ll probably just be highlights of the medalist, and doesn’t make up for the lack of replays, but at least it’s an opportunity to catch some performances you may have missed. I think it starts at noon, eastern time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Both of the free skate competitions for the men and women at Skate Canada this week were kinda unpredictable. It’s too bad Keegan was at such a points deficit from the SP, because his free skate was darn good. I can’t tell if his free skate is the same as last year or slightly reworked, but it’s gotta be the best he’s done any iteration of that program.

Pairs was slightly less of a mess compared to SA, but outside of Miura/Kihara, it was still kinda rough. It was great to see Miura/Kihara again—and seeming way more prepared than Knierim/Frazier last week. 

Not surprised that Gilles/Poirer won, but am at how high their scores were. I love their RD, but not so much the Evita FD. It’s certainly an improvement over the snooze fest of a FD from last year, but it doesn’t grab me to the same degree as their RD. 

Why can’t NBC run some of the skating on some of their other channels?  Then we could DVR it if we can’t be home because of little things like a job or….. life.  It’s like they make decisions each year to make the sport less and less accessible to the public.  They are doing the same crap with the World Gymnastics Championships which are running right now.  I know these sports aren’t the NFL, but they are two of the most watched sports during the Olympics.  You’d think they would want to maintain some interest between the games.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7

For my money Keegan Messing had the best choreography out of the top men at Skate Canada. It's too bad it doesn't count for more, points-wise. Frankly I think Shoma has terrible choreography. To me, it just looks like one jump set-up to the next with a lot of posing in between. I thought even Miura had more interesting choreography so I don't know what the hell Johnny Weir was talking about. But then I tend to dismiss anything Weir has to say about artistry.

Starr Andrews had a beautiful skate but, correct me if I'm wrong - she skated without a lutz jump. Hard to see how she can be competitive without a lutz or a triple-triple. Did she even have a flip?

Felt bad for Madeline Schizas, she started out so strong and the crowd was really with her. From first to seventh, ouch.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Starr Andrews had a beautiful skate but, correct me if I'm wrong - she skated without a lutz jump. Hard to see how she can be competitive without a lutz or a triple-triple. Did she even have a flip?

She opened with the triple flip in sequence with a double axel. Ideally she'll have the triple triple combo later in the season. 

Disappointing that she isn't confident enough in the lutz to include it but at least she did a clean program. It's been so long since I've seen her have a great skate. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Libby96 said:

Why can’t NBC run some of the skating on some of their other channels?  Then we could DVR it if we can’t be home because of little things like a job or….. life.  It’s like they make decisions each year to make the sport less and less accessible to the public.  They are doing the same crap with the World Gymnastics Championships which are running right now.  I know these sports aren’t the NFL, but they are two of the most watched sports during the Olympics.  You’d think they would want to maintain some interest between the games.

Amen to your entire post. It's so ridiculously messed up that they outbid all of the other networks to have exclusive airing rights in the US, then slap 98% of it behind a paywall. I have Thoughts on Peacock, which are largely off-topic to this thread so I'll spare everyone my rant, but suffice it to say I refuse to reward NBC's abominable coverage with more money. Figure skating deserves better than this - skaters and fans alike.

On topic - so happy to see Amber Glenn do so well last week, and Kaori is always a delight even with her short hair. Pairs turned out fairly exciting, and I really enjoyed Stellato-Dudek and Deschamps, and though I'm still sad we don't have Jason skating during this Grand Prix season, it was a fun surprise to see his brief interview with Terry et al. Earlier today I caught the beginning of our 90 minutes of Skate Canada crumbs that NBC has deigned to share, and was incredibly impressed with Rinka Watanabe, especially since I don't even remember hearing about her before now. Looking forward to seeing more of her in the future. If NBC sees fit, of course. Still have the rest to watch - might as well try to make it last as long as I can...

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 4

I agree about Keegans long program, so well skated, wish he could have landed that quad in the short program. I will miss him next season, he's been fun to watch, I hope he plans to carry on doing Stars and other shows. 

I loved Gilles/Poirer's free skate, it was skated perfectly, didn't think the marks were too high at all.  I didn't see the short programs for any of the ice dance, did they not show it on CBC? I taped all of it tho, so maybe not.   I kind of agree about Shoma, always loved him, he's adorable, but am starting to find his prgrams always look the same tho, just to different music. 

I was surprised that during Madeline's skate there was a glass flower stem on the ice, I thought they banned throwing flowers on the ice ages ago, for obvious reasons, personally I don't think they should be throwing anything on the ice, too risky for the skaters. 

Edited by wintrygal

For everyone, frustrated about the replays, please do yourself a favor and either download Opera browser or get a VPN app. I use Free VPN and it works great. Then, you can watch the ISU feed on YouTube anytime you want. You can go back and watch previous competitions, too. F*** Peacock and NBC. I watched Peacock the last two weeks because they were in North America but I still used the ISU feed for the event I had to miss. Now that the rest of the competitions are in Europe or Asia, you’ll want an alternative. 

• Useful 6
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

How convenient that the "group" has a relative who is a litigation attorney. Their list of lawsuits is impressive. 🙄

Seriously. I hope no one (skaters, arenas, networks, movies, etc) EVER uses these people again, they are clearly just looking for someone to sue. Total jerks. 

• Love 11
On 10/30/2022 at 10:19 AM, specialj67 said:

Not surprised that Gilles/Poirer won, but am at how high their scores were. I love their RD, but not so much the Evita FD. It’s certainly an improvement over the snooze fest of a FD from last year, but it doesn’t grab me to the same degree as their RD. 

Piper Gilles looked stunning in that dress, and they flowed so well from one element to the next. I especially love their twizzles. I think the scores were in some respect a reward for the overall beauty of the program. I am excited to see them in more competitions this year.

Sometimes I don't mind the limited coverage of events on NBC.  As I don't always have time to watch the full event, and the smaller coverage works better to get the basics of what went on at the event.  As for NBC/ DVR-- I am guessing it is those not watching on streaming or cable that can't DVR it?  I watch with you tube TV subscription so I am able to dvr those events, but it would be a bummer not to be able to.  

Either way I totally get all of the frustrations as it is hard to find good skating coverage these days!

As for Starr, I was happy for her great performance, but she just has always really been boring to me.  She is lacking presence or something, but she did do well at this competition. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

How did Jason get a Bye?  (or whatever it's called)?

I think you are automatically eligible if you place in the Top 5 at Nationals the year before. Jason placed 4th, so would qualify. 

• Useful 4
8 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Well that's not good. Especially if you're at work on the west coast. 

I just happened to be on lunch at 1, and with skipping through the warmups and replays, I was able to see all but 3 skaters (not including Loena). I guess we see what they’ll do with the rest.

I was watching the short programs earlier and started well before the end of the time limit they gave. I thought since I had started watching the replay then that I'd be able to watch till the end. I was wrong. I had over 30 min to watch when they cut me and probably others off.

• Sad 4
  • Fire 1

I believe Deanna just became the oldest Grand Prix gold medalist in history. Also the first Canadian Grand Prix win for somebody other than Piper & Paul since 2017.

Ye-lim Kim's reaction to still being the silver medalist despite not skating particularly well was hilarious.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Wow, this is the quietest I can remember seeing this thread during a Grand Prix weekend. It's as though making it almost impossible for people to watch cuts down on viewership. 🤔🤬

Also, it's probably too late to say anything by now, but for those of us relying on broadcast our crumbs of Grand Prix de France are airing on E! today, not NBC. NBC will show them next weekend.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 2
  • Fire 4

Ladies were on at 5 am, so I didn't get to see them live. And I was too late to watch the replay. I wish I would have known about the coverage on E! 15 minutes before it ended. At least I will get to see Loena. 

I already knew her score, and she was lovely. It will be fun to watch her and Kaori race to the top.

Edited by Salacious Kitty

Since I couldn’t watch any of the GP event in France live and didn’t want to adjust my schedule to watch the archived streams on Peacock for the limited times they were available, I plunked down the money for a VPN subscription so I could watch on the ISU’s YouTube channel. It was a great viewing experience, and if you have the spare money, I recommend it!

Even though this was generally a lower scoring event, I really enjoyed most of the medalists performances. However, I find Guignard and Fabbri to be unmemorable as performers. They seem to be a very good team in terms of technical content, but I find that I almost never connect with their programs. I preferred the performance of the Canadian team who placed second.

I didn't see their whole program but there's a highlight out there of the Italian dance pair (Guignard/Fabbri) who won the gold this weekend. They must be watching Virtue and Moir highlights. They have a lift where her hoo-ha is basically in his face.  What was the nickname for that lift that was floating around when V/M did that? 

Lumi should sign them up as spokes persons. Heh.

C/B had better clean up their programs, or they're going to be staring up at this pair and G/P on the podium. 

This weekend's coverage of the World Gymnastics Championship was equally shitty. Thanks for nothing NBC.

I really hate that the Olympic Channel is now gone. They would run repeats of figure skating and gymnastics events the week after.  And swimming. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

The Olympic Channel is sorely missed.  This thread is not as active, and neither is the Gymnastics thread.  The Gymnastics World Championships was last week, and there are hardly any posts about it.

• Sad 3
  • Love 5