Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I don't think Jason was ever really in the conversation. I think you can take 4th place over 2nd or 3rd, but definitely not 6th (plus there were 6 points between 2nd and 4th, 15 points between 4th and 6th. And bumping both 2nd and 3rd would be a whole different matter.

6th was first alternate over 2nd.

The rule is inconsistently applied, as stated. They could lay out these weights that they clearly have in their head. More likely, they play favourites.

Anyway, I'm glad the team is the way it is. I like all three, and I don't really care for Jason (and Ross was never really in any contention).

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, movingtargetgal said:

I saw Plushenko perform Sex Bomb in person....it was really personal for me.  He climbed up into the audience and gyrated about 18 inches from my face.  I was so embarrassed.  The friends that were with me have yet to let me live it down. 

Please get the proper  therapy so you are not brought down by Plushy hip gyration PTSD.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:35 PM, specialj67 said:

IDK, but the mullet is splendid.

In Mother Russia, mullet wears you.

In all seriousness, now that we know the teams, do any of the Americans have a chance at the gold?  I'm guessing Chen is our best bet, but Bradie could be another American Teen Dynamo that comes out and surprisingly takes top prize.

Asley's La La land performance was underwhelming for me.  I think she was under a delusion that it was much better then what it really was. 

• Love 4

What is still unclear is how the selection committee weighed each of the events and each of the tiers. Had there been a numerical weighting, the decision would have been even more clear-cut, whichever way it turned out. But so far, they have chosen to not provide weights, likely because of the complications of things like relative level of competitors at different competitions, relative differences in scoring among competitions, and anomalies (e.g., Zhou was the only skater of this group to be at Junior Worlds last season).

Yep.

I like Vincent, but if someone had to get bumped for Adam I think it should have been him. Ross beat him at Nationals, which is Tier 1. Ross placed 6th at his lone Grand Prix assignment. Vincent got 2 Grand Prix assignments and placed 4th and 9th, which averages out to slightly over a 6th finish. Looking at it that way Ross beat Vincent in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 criteria. Vincent won Junior Worlds a year ago, but if Ross won Tier 1 and Tier 2 this season, why are they looking at Tier 3? Maybe the committee ignored Vincent’s 9th place Grand Prix finish, and only considered the 4th place which would have put him over Ross in Tier 2, but Ross would still be over him in Tier 1.

And looking at how they decided Ross vs Vincent this time, then it really seems like Mirai should have gone over Polina in 2014. If being 2nd vs 3rd at Nationals isn’t enough of a difference to send someone, which it wasn’t for Ross, then Mirai’s bronze on the Grand Prix that year should have put her over Polina’s Tier 3 Junior Grand Prix.

Which is all my very roundabout way of saying I agree with what others have said above that this isn’t objective. A numerical point system like how people qualify for the Grand Prix Final or taking the top three finishers at Nationals would be objective. Giving somewhat vague tiers, but not really saying how much weight is given to each is not objective. If it were completely objective they wouldn’t need a twelve person selection committee. The way it’s set up now, there is always going to be an air of “We just don’t like you” as a reason for not sending someone.

• Love 7

Many years ago a ladies skater, Stephanie Rosenthal, did a very creative program to that song Rock It (I think by Herbie Hancock?)  Highly original and fun!

I remember this and I loved it. The best part was how warm and welcoming Dick Button, of all people, was in the commentating about it. He seemed delighted by it. Terry Gannon (or was it Peter Carruthers?) joked that it was the same opening for his 1948 free skate (Dick: "Don't I wish") and that Dick was doing the steps along with her in the booth.  Seriously, check out the video, it will make your day.

I think Dick would have been bemused by Jimmy's music....just so long that Jimmy's spins didn't travel. 

• Love 4

Funny story - twenty plus years ago my sister and I found ourselves on the front row of the professional ice skating tour.  I was the youngest but still legal girl in the area.  Victor Petrenko was known to find someone in the crowd to give a kiss.  My sister joked that it could be me.  Sure enough he was skating something sexy and stopped in our area.  He and I made eye contact and he started to inch up.  Apparently I looked appropriately horrified.  As he got closer I pushed further back in my seat and he quickly moved to another section and found a willing girl there.  My sister thought it was hilarious!  I always appreciated his recognizing I wanted no part of the spotlight.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Funny story - twenty plus years ago my sister and I found ourselves on the front row of the professional ice skating tour.  I was the youngest but still legal girl in the area.  Victor Petrenko was known to find someone in the crowd to give a kiss.  My sister joked that it could be me.  Sure enough he was skating something sexy and stopped in our area.  He and I made eye contact and he started to inch up.  Apparently I looked appropriately horrified.  As he got closer I pushed further back in my seat and he quickly moved to another section and found a willing girl there.  My sister thought it was hilarious!  I always appreciated his recognizing I wanted no part of the spotlight.

I can just imagine the deer-in-the-headlights look on your face!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

Asley's La La land performance was underwhelming for me.  I think she was under a delusion that it was much better then what it really was. 

Yup.  Karen and Bradie have room to grow, and Mirai is at her peak now and has a 3A (even if she doesn't land it she still gets a heap of points). While I don't think they'll make the podium, they have the potential to pull something out of their hats and make surprisingly strong showing. Meanwhile, Ashley is tapped out, she peaked at least a couple of years ago and is in a decline. We've seen the best she has to offer and it's not good enough. Ashley can quibble about her points as much as she wants, it doesn't matter, the right team is going to Korea.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

Yup.  Karen and Bradie have room to grow, and Mirai is at her peak now and has a 3A (even if she doesn't land it she still gets a heap of points). While I don't think they'll make the podium, they have the potential to pull something out of their hats and make surprisingly strong showing. Meanwhile, Ashley is tapped out, she peaked at least a couple of years ago and is in a decline. We've seen the best she has to offer and it's not good enough. Ashley can quibble about her points as much as she wants, it doesn't matter, the right team is going to Korea.

I think you are absolutely correct.  I was an Ashley fan back in the day, but the truth is figure skating is an extremely cruel and demanding sport.  She did peak two years ago and thought that season make her a lock for the Olympic team.  She really needs to go out gracefully and with dignity.   Many skaters in the world would love to achieve what she has accomplished.

• Love 7
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

Only Nathan stands a chance at getting any individual medal and, to me at least, if Hanyu is there he will not get gold. 

None of the girls have a prayer of winning an individual medal unless the Russian girls and a few others are absolute dumpster fires. From the competitions I've watched, the judges are set on rewarding backloading programs and fake Maddie faces. 

The judges really do love those Russian Baby Ballerinas.  I think they enjoy seeing tiny little dolls on the ice, who hold their hands over their head for every jump.  I get worried, because it seems like some of these girls are so disposable.  I mean look what happened to that little Schindler's List girl, who was the supposed darling of the Sochi Olympics...until she was not.

• Love 8

Ashley will make an appearance tomorrow on The Today Show.  Will be curious to see if she says anything negative though I'm sure her people have told her to keep it positive.

5 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Only Nathan stands a chance at getting any individual medal and, to me at least, if Hanyu is there he will not get gold. 

None of the girls have a prayer of winning an individual medal unless the Russian girls and a few others are absolute dumpster fires. From the competitions I've watched, the judges are set on rewarding backloading programs and fake Maddie faces. 

The Shib Sibs are favorites to make to make the podium in dance but they are not going as the national champs and are dance teams are in a virtual tie.  There is always the team medal.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The judges really do love those Russian Baby Ballerinas.  I think they enjoy seeing tiny little dolls on the ice, who hold their hands over their head for every jump.  I get worried, because it seems like some of these girls are so disposable.  I mean look what happened to that little Schindler's List girl, who was the supposed darling of the Sochi Olympics...until she was not.

The backloading makes me absolutely crazy.  I think the idea of a bonus jumps in the second half of the program makes sense as it is harder to jump on tired legs and discourages  front loaded programs.  However, now we have ridiculous programs like Zagitova's which looks like a spin and footwork practice followed by a two minute jump clinic (while some pretty music plays in the background).  Balanced programs should be rewarded, yet the backloaders don't seem to lose any PCS points for this.   If I were in charge of the world at least three jumping passes would have to be placed in the first half,  quads would be limited to one for SP and three for LP, and arm variations on jumps would be limited to two or three.  Or if you are Sotskova and always do ugly ones you get none.  :) If you can do attractive Rippons like Vincent Zhou, you can do a few.

Edited by Libby96
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Libby96 said:

Or if you are Sotskova and always do ugly ones you get none.

It's many Russian ladies. Med has a bad Tano. Tukt has a bad Tano. Zagitova makes up for her good arm variations with her bad skating skills.

Karen Chen got too little credit on her FS.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Or poor Elizaveta Tuktamysheva who fucking SLAYED in 2015 and then was was last year's news the following year.

• Love 5

I like Vincent, but if someone had to get bumped for Adam I think it should have been him. Ross beat him at Nationals, which is Tier 1. Ross placed 6th at his lone Grand Prix assignment. Vincent got 2 Grand Prix assignments and placed 4th and 9th, which averages out to slightly over a 6th finish. Looking at it that way Ross beat Vincent in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 criteria. Vincent won Junior Worlds a year ago, but if Ross won Tier 1 and Tier 2 this season, why are they looking at Tier 3? Maybe the committee ignored Vincent’s 9th place Grand Prix finish, and only considered the 4th place which would have put him over Ross in Tier 2, but Ross would still be over him in Tier 1.

I'm fairly certain they also looked at actual scores received (I think I read that during the press conference for the ladies selection, the head of the USFSA mentioned comparing individual elements/scoring potential). So it sounds like it's not only about placements, but also scores. It's hard to compare Tier 2 when they didn't compete head-to-head in their Grand Prix events, and were in events with different competitors. But Vincent's total scores were 257 and 222. Ross's score in his event was 219, so his 6th vs. Vincent's 9th was more about who the other skaters were. I get the frustration over lack of transparency beyond the basic list of events, though. Not sure if there's an objectively right answer for any of this (either the decision or the criteria to use).

Who knows what will happen--I'm definitely more excited for the men's event than any of the others. But I think Nathan has a decent shot (I'm not sure I would call anyone the favorite, given how deep the field is). He beat Hanyu head-to-head in one of their Grand Prix events, and beat Hanyu in the FS at last year's Grand Prix Final. Whatever happens, pretty sure I'm going to be a nervous wreck while I watch, LOL.

The backloading makes me absolutely crazy.  I think the idea of a bonus jumps in the second half of the program makes sense as it is harder to jump on tired legs and discourages  front loaded programs.  However, now we have ridiculous programs like Zagitova's which looks like a spin and footwork practice followed by a two minute jump clinic (while some pretty music plays in the background).  Balanced programs should be rewarded, yet the backloaders don't seem to lose any PCS points for this.   If I were in charge of the world at least three jumping passes would have to be placed in the first half,  quads would be limited to one for SP and three for LP, and arm variations on jumps would be limited to two or three.  Or if you are Sotskova and always do ugly ones you get none.  :) If you can do attractive Rippons like Vincent Zhou, you can do a few.

WORD on the backloading. Zagitova's program is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if I would mandate number of jumps per half, but I would definitely limit the number for which you can get the bonus. Hopefully that would do the trick. I also agree with limiting the arm variations (whether by limiting the actual number or by limiting the number you can earn points for). Even when done well, I think they lose their effectiveness when over used. Vincent Zhou's is absolutely sublime, though, no doubt. Still can't get over that combo he does.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Or poor Elizaveta Tuktamysheva who fucking SLAYED in 2015 and then was was last year's news the following year.

I remember watching her and thinking what a remarkably beautiful skater she was and then it was like she fell off the face of the earth.

• Love 4
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, Dots And Stripes said:

Woah! Shibs are not going to be national champions. At least they will not be a question mark for getting to the Olympics. This might complicate things for the team event though. 

I'm so glad they didn't win.  I thought they were lackluster in their free skate.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Sorry about that,  It wouldn't let me post anything under the quote (which has happened before...very weird!)  Anyway...OMG, the thought of an All-Marie France podium.  That will be truly depressing. But Tanith will like it because she loved H/D's FD today complete w/ all the smouldering angst.  I've loved ice dance for the past 20 years or so but all the face grabbing/neck clutching crap turns me off.  I don't wanna see a soap opera on ice.  

I loved their free dance as well.  I like some drama to a program.

The word is that the Shibutanis expressed a wish to skate twice in the Team Event. I think US has to be quite strategic about the Team Event. It would make the most sense to rest Nathan, and have Bradie skate twice for Ladies, but then that denies Mirai a potential medal and the obvious feel-good comeback story.  Plus the U.S. National Champions in Ice Dance should participate in the team event.

• Love 3

I don't know the rules, but when 2-3 teams are present in one discipline, I wish they would split the short and free for the team event. It gives more skaters a chance to compete and win a medal. IMO, I would not put Chen in the event at all - I mean, he himself showed that it only takes a minute during a gala skate to create a horrible injury.

• Love 1

Not putting Chen in at all might mean the US is signing away a medal, though. So putting people in to "let them have a medal chance" would be invalidated.

Nathan can skate the SP. It would also let him know how the judges are responding to him and make some last minute adjustments.

• Love 1

Who are the team medal threats? Canada for sure. Russia (if they show up) is strong everywhere, but Japan has holes in Ice Dancing and Pairs--can you medal only on the strength of your singles? China has Ice Dancing and Ladies holes. The US has a semi-hole in Pairs and Ladies that add up to maybe a single hole, so who am I forgetting?

I think France could be in the mix just based on Papadakis/Cizeron. James/Cipres is a better pairs team then what the US has.

Italy has Carolina Kostner and Cappellinni/Lanotte.

The US really should get the bronze, but France and Italy have a chance if the US has another Jeremy Abbott type debacle.

• Love 1

I don't know the rules, but when 2-3 teams are present in one discipline, I wish they would split the short and free for the team event. It gives more skaters a chance to compete and win a medal. IMO, I would not put Chen in the event at all - I mean, he himself showed that it only takes a minute during a gala skate to create a horrible injury.

If I recall correctly, the rule is that you start with one team of skaters for the SP, and then you're allowed two substitutions across all 4 events. Obviously there won't be a sub for pairs. So they still have to pick one other for no substitution. Not an easy choice!

Not putting Chen in at all might mean the US is signing away a medal, though. So putting people in to "let them have a medal chance" would be invalidated.

Nathan can skate the SP. It would also let him know how the judges are responding to him and make some last minute adjustments.

Yeah, I don't think you can afford to not put in Nathan for one of the programs. I'd also have him do the SP. His short is great and usually gets him a big score if he skates it cleanly (or mostly cleanly), and you wouldn't risk tiring out your best hope for an individual medal (not including dance). Could set up the team well going into the second half. I'm on the fence about whether the FS should be Adam or Vincent (I see pros/cons either way). As for the other substitution, I don't know. That's tough. I wonder if you can wait to see the standings after the SP to decide.

• Love 1

Who are the team medal threats? Canada for sure. Russia (if they show up) 

I don't understand how the Russians can compete as a team if they are only allowed to participate as non-affiliated individuals in the individual disciplines. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What???  We get to learn what the '98 O's meant to Tara????  Be still my heart cause I've always wondered ;>)

Oh man, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :):)  Seriously, I do like hearing how former Olympic gold medalists are doing and what they think of the sport now.  For Tara, I think it's especially relevant because of how young she was when she won her medal--she can contrast and compare to the young Russians.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Oh man, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :):)  Seriously, I do like hearing how former Olympic gold medalists are doing and what they think of the sport now.  For Tara, I think it's especially relevant because of how young she was when she won her medal--she can contrast and compare to the young Russians.

Indeed.  This year also marks the 50th anniversary of Peggy Fleming's Olympic gold medal, and I'd love to see NBC do one of its filler segments about that event and get her memories of it and what she thinks of today's Olympic figure skating.  Peggy may have retired from skating long ago, but she's still got it as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I don't understand how the Russians can compete as a team if they are only allowed to participate as non-affiliated individuals in the individual disciplines. 

Ooh, good point! Wonder how that will (or won't) work. So if Russia is out, Canada is basically a lock for gold, the US has the best shot at silver, bronze could be really interesting!

• Love 1

Ashley and Ross just withdrew from 4CC (Angela Wang and Grant Hochstein going in their place).  Starr withdrew from Jr Worlds, but is still going to 4CC.

I know that Ashley never does 4CC, but if nationals ends up being the last event of her career, I think that would be a shame. It's tough to travel to Asia and it's a short turnaround time between nationals, but part of me feels like if she really considered herself a performer (not even a competitor, a performer), she would go and give it her all there. Both her and Ross' withdrawals seem kind of like an "f you, happy retirement" thing to me.  I've rewatched Ashley's long from nationals a few times, and decided I really prefer it to her more dramatic programs, it's a shame. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, BelleBrit said:

Ashley and Ross just withdrew from 4CC (Angela Wang and Grant Hochstein going in their place).  Starr withdrew from Jr Worlds, but is still going to 4CC.

I know that Ashley never does 4CC, but if nationals ends up being the last event of her career, I think that would be a shame. It's tough to travel to Asia and it's a short turnaround time between nationals, but part of me feels like if she really considered herself a performer (not even a competitor, a performer), she would go and give it her all there. Both her and Ross' withdrawals seem kind of like an "f you, happy retirement" thing to me.  I've rewatched Ashley's long from nationals a few times, and decided I really prefer it to her more dramatic programs, it's a shame. 

In her Today Show interviewed she mentioned a competition she’s getting ready for and she just had 4CC unless she thinks Mirai will skip Worlds and she’ll go to that. Sucks that Ross is choosing not to go but the 2nd alternate was a big slap in the face and he probably wants his last skates to be Nationals.

• Love 3

There's no way that Mirai will skip worlds.  I had hoped Ashley was referring to 4CC in her Today show interview, but also didn't necessarily put too much stock in it.  Her team probably didn't want to announce a withdrawal from 4CC yet, or maybe she was still deciding.  I hope that she keeps training hard as an Olympic and Worlds alternate though, Karen and Bradie have a history of injuries. 

Unless she meant preparing for Dancing with the Stars. 

• Love 4

Heartbroken for Andrew and Kaitlyn after yesterday's short dance results.  Having said that, what a class act the two of them are.  The interview they did after didn't put blame on anyone, made the best of what happened, and gave credit to the talent we currently have.  

• Love 1

Phil Hersch (@OlyPhil) is Tweeting about Can-flation at the Canadian Nationals.  Tessa and Scott got a near perfect PCS score (39.82 out of 40.00). They've also over inflated PCS scores for skaters who have splated on the ice. Come on. I know the US did the same for Bradie Tennell, but this seems to be overinflation on steroids. Patrick Chan attempted a quad, fell on his face and this was Phil's reaction: 

"Patrick Chan got 9.75 for skating skills from judge who obviously liked his literal bellyflop after landing of 4t. He also stepped out 3ax. With 9.75 were six 9.5s, a 9.25 and a 9.0. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Please don’t try to tell me how that slop shouldn’t affect SS mark."

and this:

"I mean, Osmond showed unusual skating skills (9.0 to 9.5) bouncing off her bottom on the 3F…or was that part of the composition or interpretation of the music (both 9.0 to 9.75)?"

"Judging from the PCS scores Osmond & Daleman got in SP at Canadian nationals, I fully expect those judges to give 11s to Virtue & Moir."

• Love 8
On 1/6/2018 at 1:27 PM, blackwing said:

So Bradie is more like Tara Lipinski, all jumps and no style?  

More questions from "I haven't watched figure skating in four years" me.

1.   It sounds like they get more points for doing the jumps with the hands making an O?  I know it's harder.  I seem to vaguely remember at least a few doing it last time.  Now it seems like many do?

2.  That Bielmann spin... do you get a yellow if you can't fully do it?  So many of these girls try to do it but aren't flexible enough to get the leg fully extended over the head.  Do you lose points for an Ugly Semi-Bielmann?

3.  I'm more impressed with the spin with the leg straight up in front and over the head.  I think Karen Chen did it, and Mirai?  I remember Shizuka Arakawa doing it in the Olympics.  Seems a lot harder.

Number one, yes that is correct. Hands above the head give them an increase in Grade of execution between +1 - +3. It makes the jump much harder as it throws off your center of gravity.  So you do get an additional bonus for that. Which is why many of the Russian ladies tend to do it because they’re all about any points these days. I personally think it does not look pretty unless it is a perfect oval, but it does make the jump so much harder to do. 

Did anyone watch the Canadian Nationals? Gabby Daleman’s SP was perfection. That’s how a Nationals skate in an Olympic yer should go, take notes Ashely Wagner.  I also am hearing rumors that she may do a 4T in the long (she’s been landing it in practice). Her 3T combo just flew across the ice, perfection, and her 3A was butter. She has the height, and I could see her realistically landing a quad if all went according to plan. Although, she’s currently leading by 6 points, it would make sense for her to do another clean skate and win, then risk a quad fall, no?

Also, as much as I adore Patrick Chan, I wish he had retired post Vancouver.  Even though Canadian Men’s has no apparent heir, this is not a good look at all. I remember Patrick in his prime and this Patrick is old, less confident, doesn’t have the stamina, has too many injuries, falls often, and is unsure of himself. You can see the fear in his eyes, something that never existed circa 2010/2014. The quad revolution has aged him out and he can’t keep up. Would have been better to retire with grace than to keep falling and failing hard all over the place. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Phil Hersch (@OlyPhil) is Tweeting about Can-flation at the Canadian Nationals.  Tessa and Scott got a near perfect PCS score (39.82 out of 40.00). They've also over inflated PCS scores for skaters who have splated on the ice. Come on. I know the US did the same for Bradie Tennell, but this seems to be overinflation on steroids. Patrick Chan attempted a quad, fell on his face and this was Phil's reaction: 

"Patrick Chan got 9.75 for skating skills from judge who obviously liked his literal bellyflop after landing of 4t. He also stepped out 3ax. With 9.75 were six 9.5s, a 9.25 and a 9.0. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Please don’t try to tell me how that slop shouldn’t affect SS mark."

and this:

"I mean, Osmond showed unusual skating skills (9.0 to 9.5) bouncing off her bottom on the 3F…or was that part of the composition or interpretation of the music (both 9.0 to 9.75)?"

"Judging from the PCS scores Osmond & Daleman got in SP at Canadian nationals, I fully expect those judges to give 11s to Virtue & Moir."

I don't watch single skaters anymore, but even without watching can say that Patrick Chan has been getting marks he doesn't deserve for years.  I do see highlights and the occasional performance reels, so feel comfortable saying that.  

I still haven't figured out (translation, can't be bothered to learn) how the new scoring system works, so had no idea how close to "perfection" Tessa and Scott scored in their SD.  That explains the calls of a perfect score equivalent to 6.0s for their long program.  Wonder how they'll hold up for the Olympics?

I'm thrilled Piper and Paul, and Kaitlyn and Andrew are going to be going to the Olympics.  I think both pairs are underrated and under appreciated because they're in the shadow of Tessa and Scott.  I do appreciate the skill, time, and effort Tessa and Scott have put into their skating, but after Scott's press conferences and blame game from a few years ago, my appreciation of them hasn't been the same as it once was.  I was also in the camp of not thrilled they came back for that reason.  

• Love 3

Wasn't Patrick always known for falling a lot? I'm sure it's gotten worse with age, but I always think of him as one who used the scoring system to maximize points even when he couldn't execute cleanly.

What is the figure skating obsession with Moulin Rouge? It's too much. That said, I'm still rooting for Tessa and Scott to win Olympic gold even if their music choice is irritating. 

• Love 2
On 1/12/2018 at 4:19 PM, kitmerlot1213 said:

Well yeah I was being sarcastic.  We'd just been subjected, last weekend during Nationals, to a couple of pre-taped interviews w/ Tara (by Johnny) where she talked about her 1998 experience + Terry, over the years, seems to always remind Tara about her glory days prompting her to talk about them.  For some of us, it is always just a dangerous bit too much ;>)

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

You can see the fear in his eyes

This was something that Scott Hamilton mentioned at US nationals. He said if you look at a skater's eyes right before they start a routine, you can see clearly if they're nervous, fearful, scared, confident, excited. He said he always looks at the eyes and can tell exactly how someone is going to perform. The cameras usually get closeups right before a routine starts so I've been trying to look. Definitely not as intuitive as Scott is, though.

Tara mentioned Gabby's quad at one of the last GP's I saw, but she seems to always run out of stream during her free, which apparently more of an issue. I'd love to see a gal do it but I worry about the implications that would follow. I can just imagine all the Russian baby ballerinas being told next year, "You VILL add three quads in the back half of your program!"

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Wasn't Patrick always known for falling a lot? I'm sure it's gotten worse with age, but I always think of him as one who used the scoring system to maximize points even when he couldn't execute cleanly.

What is the figure skating obsession with Moulin Rouge? It's too much. That said, I'm still rooting for Tessa and Scott to win Olympic gold even if their music choice is irritating. 

I think the majority of his falls are on the quad jumps.  I could be wrong about this, but I think that's a major downfall for him, his inability to master quads.  Having said that, that's the primary reason I stopped watching the men.  It's now a jumping competition instead of any type of art form/story telling/artistic visions.  With rare exceptions, the men seem to have a few simplistic moves to link their jumps together and that's boring to watch for me.

Well the Canadian nationals have been a heart break for two of my favourite teams.  The three dance teams I was hoping to go to the Olympics are going but it was a hard battle for my favourites.  I'm so sad for Dylan and Lubov  right now.  Dylan looked tired and I'm not sure what happened to his hand as it was never talked about.  I am thrilled for Seguin and Bilodeau.  I saw them several years ago and they looked like they were promising then with a great future ahead of them.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well yeah I was being sarcastic.  We'd just been subjected, last weekend during Nationals, to a couple of pre-taped interviews w/ Tara (by Johnny) where she talked about her 1998 experience + Terry, over the years, seems to always remind Tara about her glory days prompting her to talk about them.  For some of us, it is always just a dangerous bit too much ;>)

I was sad enough when Tara won over Michelle in '98.  I don't need to relive it.  Tara skated lights out that night, but I still think if the skate order had been reversed, Michelle would have won.

Anyway, on the subject of Olympic anniversaries, it's been 30 years since the Battle of the Brians.  During NBC's ice dance "coverage" last weekend ( I use that term loosely, since they showed about seven programs) there was a short piece about Calgary.  Does anyone know if it was a promo for a longer special?  I hope so.  That was the Olympics that started my skating fandom.

• Love 9