Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

On 9/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, tv echo said:

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

Rose City Comic Con, September 13-15, 2019 (Portland, OR)
Colton Haynes-SAT/SUN ONLY (also Neal Adams, DC artist for Green Lantern/Green Arrow comics, and Jackson Lanzing, DC writer of Green Arrow comics)
https://rosecitycomiccon.com/guest/
Programming Schedule
-No individual panel scheduled for Colton Haynes (just photo op and autograph sessions).

Heroes Comic Con Stockholm, September 13-15, 2019 (Sweden)
Katherine McNamara-FRI/SAT ONLY (also Tom Felton)
https://comicconstockholm.se/guest-line-up/
Heroes Talk
-Fri. (9/13) at 5:45pm - Q&A Panel with Katherine McNamara
-Sat. (9/14) at 3:15pm - Q&A Panel with Katherine McNamara
-Sat. (9/14) at 4:30pm - Heroes Talk Interview with Katherine McNamara

Updated to add...

Midgard, September 13-15, 2019 (Iceland)
Manu Bennett
https://www.midgardreykjavik.is/
Schedule
-Sun. (9/15) at 5:50pm - Manu Bennett

Edited by tv echo

Oz Comic Con Brisbane, September 21-22, 2019 (AU)
John Barrowman-SUN only (also Keiynan Lonsdale) 
https://ozcomiccon.com/brisbane/guests/
Schedule
-Sat. (9/21) at 2:15pm - Keiynan Lonsdale Panel
-Sun. (9/22) at 1:00pm - John Barrowman Panel
-Sun. (9/22) at 3:30pm - Keiynan Lonsdale Panel

Cincinnati Comic Expo, September 20-22, 2019 (OH)
Sean Maher-SAT/SUN only
http://cincinnaticomicexpo.com/celebrities/
Schedule
-Sat. (9/21) at 5:00pm - Spotlight on the Cast of Firefly/Serenity (incl. Sean Maher)

Edited by tv echo

Here's a recap of KM's panel at Heroes Comic Con Stockholm on  Sep. 14...
https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2019/09/19/heroes-comic-con-stockholm-jam-packed-saturday/

After Matt’s panel was finished off with a standing ovation, I pretty much walked out the doors and then back into the same room for the panel with Katherine McNamara. While the room didn’t fill to quite the same extreme capacity as it had with Matt, there were still plenty of eager fans who wanted to pose their questions to her.

Katherine admitted to being a huge Star Wars nerd, and said that she’s learning more and more about DC every day, and she is currently obsessed with IT. She met Bill Skarsgård once and found him to be super kind, and she is very proud of her co-star Isaiah Mustafa for his work on It Chapter Two.

She also talked about how she is a huge nerd, and loves school and learning. She finished high school at 14, and went on to get her bachelor’s degree in business when she was 17. Katherine said that she thinks she finished school so quickly because to her, learning was always a positive journey of discovery, and that is something that she tries to convey to other people as much as she can. While she might not apply her math skills as an actor, she does use her business skills in her day to day life because it helps her understand the business side to being an actress. One of her favorite things about being an actress is also getting to learn something new almost every day, and being a chameleon, getting to slip in and out of different characters.

Katherine also talked about how terrifying it was to do a show like Shadowhunters that already had such a huge pre-existing fandom. She tried to do what she could to learn about Clary by watching the movie, and she read the books about Clary’s story while they were filming the show. She didn’t want to read the other books since she didn’t want to spoil or know too much about other arcs that Clary herself wouldn’t have known about. Katherine also explained that each season of Shadowhunters felt like a school year. The first season felt like they were just trying to keep their head above the water, for the second season they found themselves, and for the third season their characters had history and their own relationships, and that made it the most fun for her. At the start of the third season it almost scared her because it didn’t feel as much like acting any more, because Clary had become an entity of her own to Katherine, so she could just step in and out of her. The last episodes were hard to film because it felt like they didn’t have enough time, but she said it also felt liberating in a way because they did it all for the fans. Every department got to try things they hadn’t tried before, and they got to realize some of the visions they had had themselves.

She also talked a bit about the differences between her role as Clary on Shadowhunters and Mia Smoak on Arrow. When she auditioned for Arrow, she didn’t know what Mia was the role she was going in for. When she got the news that she got the part, and they explained to her that Mia has Felicity’s intellect and Oliver’s physicality, she went straight to the gym. Katherine did say that she preferred starting out on a show and getting to help build it from the ground up — like she did on Shadowhunters — because it creates a very familiar bond, but that coming on to Arrow has also been a very positive experience because everyone on set is so open and welcoming. Another difference between the two shows was the amount of stunts and fighting she did, since Arrow was a lot more intense when it came to fight scenes. When she was allowed she would do her own stunts and fights on set but it happened more often on Shadowhunters since they were often times less complicated.

As far as her dream role goes, Katherine said that she had promised herself that she would never get stuck in one kind of role, so now she wants to do something completely different. Maybe a different type of character or a completely different genre. Her favorite reaction to a script is when she doesn’t know if she can pull it off, because that means it is an opportunity for her to grow and push herself beyond her limits.

Toward the end of the panel Katherine also shared that she is currently working on her own original music and that she will hopefully be able to share it with us soon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Posted on Sep. 20 - JDJ announces his very first comic con appearance...

-- JDJ: "Hello, Columbus, Ohio! Okay, I can't talk for very long. Any second somebody's going to knock on that door, pull me back to set. We have been working tirelessly on Season 8. I know you guys are going to love it. I can't wait for you guys to see it. It's going to be amazing. But right now, I wanted to say that I am going to be at Wizard World Columbus. Okay, I'm going to be there October 18-20. And I'm crazy excited, okay. It's my very first convention, so I know I'm freaking out right now. But I can't wait to see each and every one of you. I can't wait for you to tell me your favorite parts of the show and get to take a picture with each and every one of you. So make sure that you pull up on me, come to my table, say what's up, at Wizard World."

Wizard World Columbus, October 18-20, 2019 (OH)
David Ramsey and Joseph David-Jones (also Teddy Sears) (also Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum and Laura Vandervoort)
https://wizardworld.com/comiccon/columbus

Edited by tv echo

David Rapaport is the Arrowverse casting director. Anthony Meindl is a writer/director/producer and the artistic director of Anthony Meindl’s Actor Workshop in L.A. (and other locations) - this is a really good interview...

Anthony Meindl Interviews David Rapaport
July 5, 2019
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-in-the-moment-acting-art-a-30929154/episode/anthony-interviews-david-rapaport-46778678/

-- DRapaport said that he acts like a "matchmaker" for the producers and that he usually doesn't know what he wants. If he knew what he wanted, he would make an offer. He gets just basic specs from the producers. So you shouldn't go in there, trying to please him. DRapaport: "Just be confident and be yourself."

-- On the "do's and don'ts" of auditioning, DRapaport: "The less the better. An audition for me is chest to top of the head. So if there's anything you're going to do either in the room or on a self tape that's distracting, don't do it. Imagine that we have enough imagination, the producers or directors watching the tape, that they can kind of put a costume on you, they can put the facial hair, they can put the make-up. Because when you come in - like a lot of these comic book shows, they're really - they're bizarre, fantastical, what have you. And even if the sides, it says, this woman walks in and she - you know, her hair is crazy, she looks like Medusa, whatever it is, um, I get you want to kind of come in and feel the character or what have you. But if you come in looking as if you've spent more time preparing your wardrobe and hair, it immediately sets off like a red flag for me that, oh, this person doesn't quite connect with the material or not making it about the material, because, I guarantee you, we're going to have hair and makeup for you. We're not going to ask you to do your own. That might be a fun school project and that's kind of creative for you, but you should be spending time learning the sides. I haven't cast anyone based on the makeup they've worn or the hair they've done or the costume they've worn. Um, and a lot of our superhero stuff as well, in the sides, it says, well, you know, there's a fight sequence here. And people come in, trying to prove they can fight... You're going to have a stunt double. We're going to have a stunt coordinator. We don't need to see that in the acting audition. And the same for self tapes too. A lot of people tend to direct their own self tapes and edit it, you know, special effects and music... It's distracting. It doesn't feel professional. And it's - again, I'd rather just see if there's good lighting, good sound. I want to see you head on and recreate the - you know, this feels like so basic, but - recreate the audition process. Otherwise, it feels as if you're not - you're taking it seriously, but you're - this is not a college, like, thesis on how to make a film. I don't need a cinematographer. I need an actor... And I don't mean to be, like, cruel about that. It's just - just simplify."

-- DRapaport said that he's usually working on multiple projects, so an actor who reads for one show might not be right for that show but could then be a "star" for another show. For example, someone who wasn't right for The Flash could be "amazing" for The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina or for Riverdale. He compared auditioning to dating. AMeindl agreed: "You're not auditioning for a job. You're auditioning for a career." DRapaport said that "it's just a matter of continuing to show up."

-- DRapaport said to "be nice to everyone" because "the assistants today could be casting directors tomorrow" and "the readers today could be series leads tomorrow." 

-- DRapaport: "It's not professional to flirt... That's not the way to get a job. Be kind, be nice."

-- AMeindl stressed being "honest" and mentioned an actor who had one line on Shameless and then became a series regular and was on that show for five seasons: "She was radically honest." [tv echo: I waited for DRapaport to mention EBR at this point, but he didn't.]

-- AMeindl mentioned having a student who was auditioning for Gossip Girl. He then asked DRapaport what he does when he has a "number one choice," who has a lot of talent and not a lot of credits, but the execs or studio is "fixated" on somebody else, who maybe has 10M followers (as a bad example). DRapaport: "I have my own fights sometimes... I learned very early on that sometimes the best actor for the role doesn't book the role. It's an unfair system, it's an unfair process. And, as I said before, it's casting by committee. It's not just one person's decision... So I do everything I can to help facilitate, not my own personal agenda, but what I think is right and what I've discussed with the producers... Casting a pilot specifically takes 10 weeks to do. You're testing multiple people next - opposite each other. You're doing chemistry reads. It's not like you just find a person in the first session... A couple years ago, it came out that I used to bring in my first choice for a role first. Um, I've since stopped doing that, because I think it kinda shot me in the foot, where I - I had an idea of who this person should be and I showed that to the producers. Then all of a sudden they think, um, 'Oh my god, this first person's so great! I can't wait to see who he brings in next' - the next week or the following week or what have you. And what I learned is, it's a process. People need to come to that decision on their own, and I kinda guide it. And I have to be open to kinda discovering who these right people should be, so to speak. And sometimes it takes a little work, a little direction, a little kind of finessing." As for the question of why execs or studios get fixated on someone for a role, DRapaport: "They have a little bit more invested in the sense that they're putting their money into it. And they want - I don't want to speak for every network and the networks I've worked for have been phenomenal. But sometimes it's - they want safety. They want a name. They want to make sure they're going to get eyeballs on the show. Um, or totally, they - you know, sometimes it's - it's, uh, looks before talent. And so my goal is - I love discovering - I love casting actors I know that I fans of. But I also love discovering new people and giving new people opportunities. And, as a fan of television and film, I enjoy watching new faces and feeling like I'm discovering someone on TV. So I'm - I'm supportive of finding new people. And, you know, if it's an un - what's the word I'm looking for? ... Untested or unproven talent. It takes reading people several times to kind of get to that point. So it's - it's setting up multiple reads, or setting up an extra screen test, or setting up an extra chemistry test, to kind of like show this person's ability or her possibility. Um, you know, it's not always obvious right away. You're asking network executives to basically marry someone on a first date." He added that he's asking execs to trust his instinct (as someone who's been in the business for 20 years) when it comes to going to bat for someone when the execs might not see what he sees.

-- When asked to explain screen tests and chemistry tests, DRapaport: "Sometimes, like, during a pilot process, they will - the network or studio will ask for a screen test... The difference between a regular audition and a screen test usually is, it's usually on real cameras, on a real set, with, uh, makeup, hair, wardrobe, what have you, so they can actually see you in the character, um, and see what you look like on film, and see you more in - in the vein of what this would actually feel like on television, as opposed to on a video camera in my office with bat lighting. Um, and it's really helpful. It is really helpful. And we've changed our minds sometimes when you see someone in hair and makeup, and you're like, 'oh, that's not what Supergirl looks like to us.' ... And then a chemistry read is usually either for best friends or for romantic interest, where you pair your top choices for each role, um, whether on screen or on like a regular camera in my office, just to kind of see how they read the role together. Because 9 times out of 10, we're doing each role separately, we're hoping that people have chemistry when you send them onto set, or you edit the chemistry together, but it's nice to know that there's a - there's an energy, there's a vibe, there's a pitter-patter of language between the two of them. And, um, those chemistry reads can be really telling and really helpful. But most often, we don't really get that opportunity. As I said, like, pilot casting can be anywhere from 5 weeks to 10 weeks. This past pilot seasons, I think we did both the - the pilots in 5 weeks.  And, you know, it's a fast process. You have to make decisions very quickly... Ideally, you're able to complete the process by doing screen tests and chemistry reads and things like that. But a lot of times, you don't have the opportunity and you're moving too quickly and you're casting one role before you're casting the other and, um, it doesn't work out that way." 

-- DRapaport said that pilot testing is usually a live test in his office. He added that he will get, on average, 2,500 to 3,000 submissions per role on breakdowns. He'll go through them in about an hour because he'll know the majority of actors already out there. He'll narrow them down to about 75 to 80, which he'll then go through with his partner, Lindsey. They'll look at head shots, resumes, and demo reels. They'll narrow down a first session with producers to about 10-15 actors they already know. They'll also pre-read about 25 actors they don't know and call back about 3 of them to the first session with producers. So they'll have 15-18 people in the producers' session. The producers will then narrow down to about 3 people that they want to share with the showrunner, who will say, for example, let's test two of them. Then they negotiate test deals. Then they bring two people into the studio to test, two people into the network, and then they cast one. Sometimes the network will say that they don't like either of the two choices and they have to go back to the drawing board. They have to do this for every single role and there's usually about 8-10 series regular roles in a pilot, plus guest roles. And they're usually working on multiple pilots at a time. Also, this doesn't count the self tapes.

-- When asked to explain what "number one on a call sheet" means, DRapaport: "To me, it's not just about being the star of the show. It's about being the leader of a show... The leader of the show will sort of set the tone... People look to them to kind of, you know, if they're complaining, if they're upset, if they're happy-go-lucky, if it's an easy set, you know, they really set the tone because they're number one. So, again, we're - it's scary for a studio or network to put that pressure on someone who has never been under that pressure before and perform under pressure. Um, and that kind of - that kind of power, if you want to call it, or pressure can really make or break a person. I've seen people, you know, rise to that kind of challenge and be like, 'we're a team, we're going to make this work, let's be happy and don't be upset that, you know, we're on set for a long time.' They become like a real cheerleader. And for some people, it goes straight to their ego, and they complain about things. They lock themselves in their trailers. It sets just a really shitty tone for the rest of the cast and crew. So you're always going to take a risk, because it does change people." He added that number one on the call sheet is "literally number one on the call sheet."

-- DRapaport confirmed that he kept lists of actors on hand to be considered for different types of shows and that networks each keep their own actor lists. However, he added that these lists change and that it doesn't mean actors who aren't on these lists won't be considered. He mentioned that Grant Gustin wasn't on his list but pre-read for The Flash and ended up getting the role. Also, the entire cast of Riverdale was never on the list, except for maybe Cole Sprause.

-- When asked how someone without an agent or a manager can get an audition in his office, DRapaport said that it's really tough, but it's possible if you promote yourself on social media. He said that just sending a head shot or gift to his office will not be considered professional. He will not respond to unsolicited e-mails. However, it's okay to send invites/promos to his associates for an actor's productions.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Trisha said:

I don't think this clip has been seen before, but I'm not sure:

CW's so smart. Clearly what is best to promote Arrow is not a new promo with footage beyond 801 like all of the other shows on their own network, but an older interview from the cast during an unenthusiastic SDCC. Ingenious. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think he knows what he's doing. If he missed her, he could have shot her a text but that's not what he did. 

I'm having major throwback to "mondays feel sort of sexy" during the 401 filming of the olicity bed scene. 

• Love 5

I diss him quite a bit but I don't think he'd purposely mess with the Felicity fandom. He's never been mean that way.

I think either:

*He's hinting about her return - quite a few people don't give a f@ck about the show now that Felicity is gone so he's taken it upon himself to hint 

*He's genuinely sad about missing the good old days and having a moment (I think this is possible given the stories about him being unable to clap cuz he was crying during Emily's play and him sobbing in 722 - dude is sentimental)

Idk, like 90% of the time when SA does something trolling like this, it's exactly what it seems like it is (ex: during s7, SA's "Smoak Tech" picture and his "Welcome to the family!" tweet to KM on her casting), and he definitely wanted to rile people up. I don't think it's necessarily 

Spoiler

"oh, she's in 807-810, they're going to reset everything!" But maybe a confirmation call from someone that she's coming back for the finale or something

Plus DR seems on board too with whatever it is

EFNsyfpWsAAOZlu?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I don't want to be disappointed. For all we know, he could be thinking of Mia, William and Connor forming a team in the future as being similar to OTA.

Having the visual of his profil pic with the kids (minus Connor) paired with the OTA i-love-you hug is heartwarming enough. Until we know more from the paps, or David, if he blabs at his next con, your way is the way to go. 

25 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Idk, like 90% of the time when SA does something trolling like this, it's exactly what it seems like it is (ex: during s7, SA's "Smoak Tech" picture and his "Welcome to the family!" tweet to KM on her casting), and he definitely wanted to rile people up. 

+ the Russian vodka fueled one night in the bunker 

+ killing Felicity's boyfriend in s5 during SDCC... I don't know if this is a chicken and egg situation but I would hope WM wouldn't have been inspired by him right then and there. 😅

We might have to move this into Spoiler Speculation soon but yes, SA has a long history of teasing us with things we don't fully understand until the episode he's shooting airs (his  Monday tweets while filming 320 & 401, talking at a con about EBR getting scar makeup whenever she shows her shoulder the day after they shot 320, etc). He's bragged about spoiling things in plain sight before. 

Meanwhile, he's briefly featured in EW's video compilation of celebs talking about their current pop culture obsessions. (He picks Succession, which marks the only time I've ever agreed with his TV opinions.)

On 9/27/2019 at 6:03 AM, tv echo said:

Isn't it weird that The CW is using Arrow's Season 2 poster (with Felicity out front) to promote the show's final season? ...

That poster is so good I don’t even care. 

Pandemonium Con 2, October 5-6, 2019 (London, England, UK)
Katherine McNamara
https://www.zarataevents.com/PandemoniumCon2/guests.php
-No individual panel schedule posted.

New York Comic Con, October 3-6, 2019 (NY)
James Callis and J.R. Ramirez (also Kevin Conroy, Meagan Tandy and Rachel Skarsten) (also Benjamin Percy, DC writer of Green Arrow comics, Neal Adams, DC artist of Green Arrow comics, German Peralta, DC artist of Green Arrow comics, Javier Fernandez, DC artist of Green Arrow comics, and Marguerite Bennett, DC writer of DC Bombshells comics)
https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Guests/Entertainment-Guests/
https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Guests/Comic-Guests/
https://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Explore/Panels/Panels-And-Screenings/#/event/warner-bros-television-block-featuring-riverdale-manifest-roswell-harley-quinn-and-batwoman
Panels and Screenings
-Sat. (10/5) at 6:30pm - Frederator Studios CASTLEVANIA Spotlight Panel (incl. James Callis)
-Sun. (10/6) at 11:35am - Manifest Special Video Presentation and Q&A (incl. J.R .Ramirez)
-Sun. (10/6) at 1:35pm - Batwoman Pilot Screening and Q&A (incl. Meagan Tandy and Rachel Skarsten)
-Sun. (10/6) at 1:45pm - Batman Beyond 20th Anniversary (incl. Kevin Conroy)

Edited by tv echo

The 40 thing seemed very odd. Turns out there's a British actor with the same name. 

Now I'm wondering if it even is this Ben Lewis' birthday or if Kat got the wrong Googlw alert. 

Screenshot_20191001_095115_com.android.chrome.jpg

Weird. Surely they'd both know if it was their co star's birthday? Unless they aren't filming together at the moment because he's not in the crossover and yeah she got the wrong alert. If he is 40 he looks good for it.

Apparently it is his birthday.

So maybe someone got the other BL's birthday wrong. Or it's a big coincidence. Cant be used to determine if he's been filming COIE either.

Edited by Featherhat