Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, RS3 said:

It was a holiday and she did film her first day already, as stated by Stephen himself. I'm also 97% convinced that if Juliana and Rick were invited, they would have been there. 

Yeah i saw that it seemed that Juliana has been in Los Angeles the whole week. If she was invited she would have gone.

And today is BC day. So the show has today off also.

20 hours ago, tv echo said:

Oliver and Diggle getting ready for their kids' wedding. *Diggle spits on his hand and smooths down Oliver's hair. Oliver is agahst* Your own fault man, wouldn't have done it if you had run a comb through it.

• LOL 5

Damian Holbrook interviewed SA and DR during TCA Summer Press Tour - starts off with some great SA/DR moments (interrupted by MC and JA), but then a few spoilery mentions are made (transcribed in the Spoilers thread)...

Stephen Amell and David Ramsey on the End of Arrow | TV Insider
Published on Aug 5, 2019, by TV Insider

Edited by tv echo

Here's the full ET interview by Leanne Aguilera with SA (warning: some spoilers, which are transcribed in the Spoilers thread)...

Arrow Final Season: Stephen Amell Reveals If Emily Bett Rickards Will Return (Full Interview)
Published on Aug 6, 2019, by Entertainment Tonight

-- On seeing EBR's play Reborning in NYC, SA: "Everyone made fun of me at the play because they all got up to give her a standing ovation and they looked at me because I was clapping but I wasn't standing, 'cause I was crying and I didn't want to stand up in front of - uh, Emily's, uh - I'm so proud of her. Um, doing a play in New York, like, man, that's a thing. It's a grind. And, um, I think her last show is actually tonight, so very proud of her. I think she's wonderful in the play. I can't wait to see what she does next."

-- SA: "It's weird when people are like, how do you feel about starting this [Arrowverse]. I didn't. I was lucky to be first. It's always been a priority for me. Emily was my first guest star. But then, when Caity Lotz came on in Season 2, or when Grant was in those two episodes, 8 and 9 in Season 2, or when in Season 4 we wove back in Brandon and Caity to help with Legends, um, to get to go to Gotham City and introduce Ruby's character in the crossover, I just try to - I just try to be a good host. That's all. And I tell everyone that comes on, I go, 'you don't need it because you're here already, but if you ever need anything from me, I'm here.'"

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Access's interview with SA at TCA (published yesterday) - I don't think that anything he said in this interview qualifies as a real spoiler, but I've put spoiler tags on the only spoilerish comment...

-- SA: "I'm the reason that the show is done... It's time, it's time. I started the show as like, you know, a guy that was dating a girl and now I'm a daughter - now I'm the father of a girl that's gonna turn 6 on the premiere date of Season 8. She has her own chair on set, like, with her own chair back and stuff like that. She comes all the time. She sits in video village and I'll never get a greater gift as a dad than having a kid who likes what I do and - and thinks it's cool. It's not gonna last forever."

-- SA: "Season 8 has been written and designed for people who love the show. We want to find a way to give back to people who had been on this journey with us for eight years. With this final season, we're doing everything short of me looking directly in the camera and winking. (Smiles) Um, and that makes me very happy."

-- SA: "People feel like they have a bead on what's going to happen. I don't think they do... I love reading online theories and watching reaction videos and hearing people opine about the show. Like, there's this youtube channel that's got Pagey, who's awesome - I hope he sees this. Uh, I listen to him talk about the show and he's super well educated on it and every theory that he has about how the show ends is totally wrong. The way that the fandom has behaved and, um, the ferocity with which they follow and support the show - um, it sounds hyperbolic, but it takes my breath away sometimes. It's really - it's truly special. And I'm gonna miss it. A lot."

Edited by tv echo

Another SDCC interview with SA that I hadn't seen before - in which he makes more comments about missing EBR (as usual, any spoilerish comments are transcribed in the Spoilers thread)...

Stephen Amell Talks ARROW - San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Interview [VIDEO]
By COMICBOOK.COM STAFF - August 2, 2019 06:22 pm E
https://comicbook.com/2019/08/02/video-stephen-amell-talks-arrow-san-diego-comic-con-2019-interview/

-- ComicBook's Russ Burlingame: "For you personally, you are the focal point of a lot of this stuff now. Like, everything that has happened in these five shows now flows out of Arrow, and a lot of that is you and David and Emily." SA: "Yep." RB: "How does it feel to be able to close that door while people are still mostly loving the show?" SA: "It feels really good, man. I mean, you don't want to be the band that comes out for an encore and like 30% of the audience has left. I prefer they stand there cheering and you don't come out for an encore, you know what I mean? Um, it feels really good."

-- SA: "I miss Emily. Um, it feels weird doing the show without her, um, because it's like, you know - I'm a - I'm a creature of habit and I'm a person of routine and, um, you know, I've gone to sets since August of 2012 and expected to see her face more often than not. So not seeing it is sad. But, eh, you move on."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

Fan Expo Boston, August 16-18, 2019 (MA)
Stephen Amell-SAT only (also Tyler Hoechlin)
https://www.fanexpoboston.com/en/guests/celebrities.html
Schedule
-Sat. (8/17) at 12:00pm - Celebrity Q&A with the Star of Supergirl and Teen Wolf Tyler Hoechlin
-Sat. (8/17) at 2:00pm - Celebrity Q&A with the Star of Arrow Stephen Amell

The Sword Experience: Wings Over the Rockies, August 17, 2019 (Denver, CO)
Adrian Paul
https://swordxp.com/event/denver-wings-over-the-rockies-august-17th-2019/
-Sat. (8/17) at 12:00pm - Wings Over the Rockies (Adrian Paul)

Edited by tv echo

It’s kind of hilarious that he had no idea. The TCAs are notorious for telling the winners beforehand so they show up. I guess for the non-televised ones they don’t even bother telling them.

• Love 1

(ETA: Since we now have full video of SA's panel, I've deleted my two posts above that contained fan tweets of selected video clips from this panel, because they just slowed down the loading of this page.)

Video of entire SA panel - mod is Aaron Sagers (good audio, good video)...

Stephen Amell ARROW Panel - Fan Expo Boston 2019
Published on Aug 17, 2019, by Fandom Spotlite

-- SA: "I love finales, so I am very excited for people to come on the journey, but, um, I'm also keenly aware that people are very particular about finales. So, I'm a little nervous, but that's okay."

-- On his favorite series finale ever, SA: "People are going to be really upset, because it's Lost. I love the finale of Lost. I liked the finale of - I liked the finale of Lost. I also really liked the finale of Seinfeld. Um, yeah, Breaking Bad, I was like, 'yeah, sure, it's good,' but I thought everything leading up to Breaking Bad was good... I liked the Game of Thrones finale once I realized that the last episode was effectively like an epilogue...

And I think that's going to be - it's going to be interesting for us for our finale, because they announced that the - the crossover is the eighth episode. And I feel like everything after the crossover might be somewhat anti-climactic. So maybe it's - maybe ours will play like an epilogue as well. I'm not sure."

-- On what he does to try to have a good work/life balance, SA: "I got really good at saying 'no.'" He then said that Arrow sometimes "became more important than it should," but once he had a kid, he would just say "no" when he was asked to do something. In terms of his priorities, he said it was "family, me, work."

-- On what's next for him after Arrow, SA: "I've recently closed on a new project that I'm really excited about, that I am not allowed to talk about. It, um - it's a - it's on TV... I thought that the news was actually going to break last night and I was kinda excited to talk about it today... But something - something - something very soon."

-- Fan first commented that SA did more comedic roles prior to Arrow, before then asking SA about what is his most challenging type of acting and what is the most opposite of his personality. SA: "Oh, man. The most opposite of my personality is, um, you know, early days as - as Oliver, right? And that was also one of the most challenging things, because they wanted me to be very, very reserved and very stoic, and that can very easily come off as stiff and not talented. So, uh, that was really challenging. That was very far removed from my own personality. I'm much more easygoing and, um -

we've actually tried in the final season to - and I've been joking about this - to really try to bring in some levity to the character and some humor, you know, because I did hear a rumor once upon a time that Oliver Queen does have a sense of humor in the comics. Um, we tried to bring a bit of that in.

But, uh, I want to do more comedy as well. I love comedy."

-- On whether he has any stories of working with JB, SA talked about being with John at MegaCon Orlando. He found JB's "super expensive" Rolex in the guests' private wash room and he then wore that Rolex during his duo photo op with John. He wore it for 90 minutes, but John didn't notice, so he flashed the Rolex at John. JB said that he did that "all the time."

-- On how he thought the MCU would play out if he and Hawkeye swapped places, SA: "I don't know... It's an interesting question. I mean, there's so many layers to the premise that we literally don't have enough time... I don't know if [Hawkeye] is my opposite in the - or like the doppelganger of me in the MCU. I'm not sure... I like the comparison. I like that Marvel has their Green Arrow type and we have our Hawkeye type... although I think he's better with a sword, based on Endgame."

-- If Oliver Queen was in the MCU, who would be his best friend and who would he hate? SA: "Well, he would hate Tony Stark, because of blinding jealousy... Who would be his best friend? I don't know. Maybe - maybe he'd kinda dig Thanos... Well, he's the hero of his own story, isn't it?" As for Peter Parker, SA: "I would be annoyed by his boyish enthusiasm." Mod then compared that to Oliver's early dynamic with Barry Allen.

-- On his favorite moment from S7, SA said that a lot of his moments are sad moments, but if he had to pick a couple of days that he remembered a lot, he would pick the two days that he worked with Colin Donnell. SA also mentioned working with the actor who played Oliver's son William because he likes playing a dad. He noted that his "dad voice" is a lot like his Green Arrow voice.

-- On the greatest or best message that fans should take away from Arrow, SA said that, as much as he likes superhero tv shows and superhero movies, he thought the overall message is, "Green Arrow is certainly not the biggest and most popular character, uh, you know, in the DC canon. Um, I'd go so far as to say that, you know - it's not to say that he's not some people's favorite - but, um, he certainly doesn't have the cachet of Flash or Aquaman or Superman or Wonder Woman or Supergirl or Batman or Nightwing or any other of Batman's sidekicks, or any of the Batman villains, or Lex Luthor... He's down the pile a little bit. And, uh, it just goes to show that if you build - if you build a show and you focus on the relationships and what they mean to the central character, then you can take any source material and you can make it into something cool."

-- Mod said that "it's the power of good storytelling." SA said that, talking to David Nutter (who directed the Arrow pilot), "his biggest goal was to establish that, you know, Oliver's sister and mother and best friend and ex-girlfriend and - like, that's what meant - that's what meant the world to him, that's what - that's what moved him forward."

-- Mod noted that the Arrow show "has evolved" and asked if that was a lesson he would take forward into his other projects, "like constantly be evolving, constantly adapting." SA: "Yeah. You have to be ready to pivot at a moment's notice. I mean, Arrow was supposed to be - was supposed to launch a show where we specifically did not want to introduce superpowers. Oops. But then we come out and we have some success. And DC decides that we can use The Flash as a property, and all of a sudden now we have superpowers in our universe. Or, you know, we get a good guest star in Episode 3 and all of a sudden Felicity Smoak is, you know, an integral part of the team. You've got to be ready at all times. When someone - when someone pops, when something works, really go for it. Uh, when something doesn't, don't be prideful. Just retreat, and pretend it never happened."

-- On how many people in the cast are actually adept at archery or martial arts, SA: "Um, you don't want to get into a fight with David Ramsey. Okay? And David Ramsey does not want to get into a fight with Michael Jai White. That's the biggest stretch that we've ever had in the history of the show - me beating up Michael Jai White." He added that everyone who has used a bow and arrow on the show has gone through lessons and has gotten "pretty proficient" (mentioning CH and WH). He then mentioned that he "won the biggest prize at the Pacific National Exhibition, which is like a carnival that we have in Vancouver, in the archery game." 

-- Fan asked, when JB turns 60, if SA was going to deliver a birthday cake to him in a tiny bathing suit as well. SA: "It's part of the deal. Every 10 years, I put on a tiny suit and I deliver John Barrowman a birthday cake...

He's back in the show in Season 8 and that was actually a rider that he put into his contracts."

-- On what happens to the Arrowverse once Arrow's gone because Arrow is the structure for everything, SA: "I think that, kinda by definition, um, you know, once - once our show's done, then, in my opinion, then it - Grant becomes the - Grant as Barry Allen becomes the, you know, central point in the universe, for sure. And, um, he'll do a great job with it. But, um, I don't know. Just don't start calling it the Flashverse. Okay? ... Just keep calling it the Arrowverse. But no, you know, there will always be - we just happened to be first. Right?

But what I think is - what I actually think is, I think that the crossover this year will do a really good job of answering that question for you."

-- Fan: "So throughout all the seasons, you've had different love interests. Who do you believe that Arrow is truly in love with?" SA: "Felicity. For sure. Yeah." (Audience applause)  Fan: "Thank you." SA: "Thank you. (To Mod) I got off easy on that one." Mod: "I know. That was pretty easy." SA: "I thought I was gonna have to be specific and rank - (Makes hand gesture)." Mod: "I thought she was going to challenge you or like there was gonna be a throwdown. No, it was easy."

-- On what kind of tree he would be, SA: "That's really easy. I'm Canadian. I would be a maple tree."

-- On whether he would want to be given a part on The Flash or Legends than Arrow, SA said that he always likes going to the Flash set, although he also likes going to Legends, but he went to the Flash set first and there are a lot of people there who used to work on Arrow.

-- On what Marvel superhero he would be, SA: "Thanos. People think I'm kidding, I'm not."

-- On what D&D character he would be, SA: "I've never played Dungeons & Dragons." He then asked the fan the same question, and fan said an elven ranger because Arrow uses a bow.

-- On what movie he'd like to remake, SA said Blood Sport, but he doesn't want to play the Jean-Claude Van Damme character. SA: "I want to play his burly American, beer-drinking sidekick."

-- On his favorite Canadian province other than Ontario, SA said British Columbia, although he loves the other provinces as well. He also said that he likes the rain because it "adds to the mood" of Arrow. Mod mentioned that Vancouver was "CW Town" and "Arrowverse Town", but SA said that it was "Smallville Town" because that show started shooting there even before Supernatural. He added that he had no idea that Jensen Ackles was on Smallville.

-- On his number one piece of advice for someone who wants an acting career, SA: "To treat it like a career. You know, I know that - I know that the narrative tends to be that, you know, you do nothing, you do nothing, you do nothing, and then you get cast as Oliver Queen and, you know, it comes out of nowhere and you're cast as an 'unknown.' Um, getting Oliver Queen for me was the 10th job that I'd gotten in more or less a 20-month or so stretch. And they really - they appreciated over time. One was, you know, a one-day guest star here and a two-day guest star there. And a recurring guest star here. And then the lead in a TV movie. And then being a regular on a - on a 30-minute show. And then, you know, I'm getting an offer for - for Private Practice. And then - and then getting Arrow. Um, so, A, treat it like a job and build up - build your way up. And B, there's no right way to do it. Like, there's a right way and a wrong way to do an accounting problem, right? Or long division. There's not a right way or a wrong way to do acting. Um, I found a great coach. My wife, who's also an actor, went to said coach. Didn't work for her, right, in terms of his philosophy didn't mesh with her philosophy behind acting. So really work to find someone who you can learn from that speaks to you... One other thing, there was one other thing. Oh, oh, yeah. Show up on time... Buried the lead on that one. Show up on time."

-- On whether he's ever considered doing a military-styled show (asked by fan who introduced himself as a Lance Corporal), SA: "Yes. I haven't really had the opportunity... I was offered a movie on Netflix over the hiatus, and it didn't really work out in terms of the time, but I would've been playing someone in the, um - I would've been playing someone in the Army, for sure... I love military shows. I really do." Fan: "Breaking my heart if you're going to play in the Army. I'm a Marine myself." SA: "Oo-rah." Fan: "Oo-rah."

-- On which suit was his favorite out of all eight seasons, SA: "The Season 1 suit, for sure.

Um, and in Season 8, um, we tried to make a suit - and you can see in the trailer that we put out at Comic Con - we tried to make a suit that, um, felt like it was an ode to the first couple of seasons. And, um, we brought back the Season 1 bow, just because I liked it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Fan: "So throughout all the seasons, you've had different love interests. Who do you believe that Arrow is truly in love with?" SA: "Felicity. For sure. Yeah."

Okay, that’s even worse than I thought. Oliver marrying Felicity and calling her the love of his life isn’t enough for some people? They really expect him to say Laurel or maybe a Laurel or just Black Canary (as long as it’s a Laurel), don’t they? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Okay, that’s even worse than I thought. Oliver marrying Felicity and calling her the love of his life isn’t enough for some people? They really expect him to say Laurel or maybe a Laurel or just Black Canary (as long as it’s a Laurel), don’t they? 

Like @Chaser said I kind of think they must have expected/wanted a Felicity response. If you're enough of a fan to go to a con, you must have seen that he hasn't deviated from this answer for years now. Like even if COIE actually did mess this up (just a hypothetical) his answer would still be the same. If you wanted a positive BC response, wouldn't you say it differently?

Both TVLine and TVGuide seem to be getting their Olicity on lately. I'd like to be paid for messing around with filters and calling it work. 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Maybe she asked the question because she wanted to hear SA say it’s Felicity again. I personally never tire of hearing it. 

23 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Like @Chaser said I kind of think they must have expected/wanted a Felicity response. If you're enough of a fan to go to a con, you must have seen that he hasn't deviated from this answer for years now. Like even if COIE actually did mess this up (just a hypothetical) his answer would still be the same. If you wanted a positive BC response, wouldn't you say it differently?

Maybe, it just seems phrased weirdly? But maybe that’s just me. 

6 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

It is weirdly phrased, especially with the "who do you think The Arrow" not Oliver is in love with. I'm just having a hard time with anyone thinking he's going to come up with anyone but Felicity there. If I personally wanted a different answer I'd ask something like "apart from Felicity who was Oliver in love with?" or "you're favourite non Olicity romance?" or to ensure a Laurel answer (if I wanted one) "What was your favourite part of the Lauriver relationship and how do you think they could have worked out?"

• Love 1

I suspect he’d say Sara is his favorite non-Felicity love interest since she’s also his favorite Canary so the question would have to be extra specific if they wanted Laurel to be the answer. 

Since the transcript has the questioner saying “thank you” in response to his answer I’m guessing they just wanted to hear him say it or were proving something to other attendees. Given the number of conversations I’ve had waiting in lines at cons it’s a definite possibility that they were talking about Arrow as they waited and someone said that they expected Oliver to end up with a member of the Canary network (Black Siren, another Laurel doppelgänger, or even Dinah) now that Emily left. So the question could definitely have been in response to something like that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I was mostly puzzled at the different love interest every season bit. Like, huh? Seasons 3, 4, 6 and 7, there were no others as far as I can recall. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I was mostly puzzled at the different love interest every season bit. Like, huh? Seasons 3, 4, 6 and 7, there were no others as far as I can recall. 

I'm going to respond to this in the Relationships thread.

Next weekend's cons/events (updated, with schedules)...

Fan Expo Canada, August 22-25, 2019 (Toronto, Canada)
Summer Glau (also Tyler Hoechlin and Mike Grell, DC writer/artist of Green Arrow comics) (also Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum, Kristin Kreuk and Laura Vandervoort from Smallville)
https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/guests/celebrities.html
https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/guests/comic-creators.html
Schedule
-Fri. (8/23) at 12:00pm - Spotlight on the Legendary Mike Grell
-Sat. (8/24) at 12:00pm - Celebrity Q&A with Sci Fi "It Girl" Summer Glau
-Sun. (8/25) at 11:30am - Q&A with Smallville Stars Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Laura Vandervoort & Tom Welling
-Sun. (8/25) at 3:30pm - Celebrity Q&A with Supergirl & Teen Wolf Star Tyler Hoechlin

Wizard World Chicago, August 22-25, 2019 (IL)
Kelly Hu (also Matt Ryan, Teddy Sears and Dean Cain)
https://wizardworld.com/comiccon/chicago
Guest Schedules
Programming
-Sat. (8/24) at 4:00pm - Batman v. Superman: Dean Cain & Kevin Conroy Face Off
-Sun. (8/25) at 11:00am - An Arrowverse Conversation With Matt Ryan, Teddy Sears And Kelly Hu

The Troubadour with Katelyn Tarver, Jake Scott, Echo Kellum, The Tenth and DJ Vicious Lee, August 23, 2019 (West Hollywood, CA)
https://www.troubadour.com/event/1879862-katelyn-tarver-los-angeles/
-Fri. (8/23) at 8:45 pm - Echo Kellum

Panama Comic Con, August 23-25, 2019 (Panama City, Panama)
The Sword Experience: Panama Comic Con, August 24, 2019 (Panama City, Panama)

Adrian Paul
https://comicconpanama.com/
Sword Experience Schedule
-Sat. (8/24) at 10:30am - Sword Experience: A Highlander Experience (Adrian Paul)

German Castle Con, August 24-25, 2019 (Solingen, Germany)
Manu Bennett
https://germancastlecon.com/gaeste/
Program
-Sat. (8/24) at 2:50pm - Manu Bennett
-Sun. (8/25) at 2:30pm - Manu Bennett

Edited by tv echo

Now, that I can say never should have been cut as it links in to several things in this episode and is a good moment of character building as well, though it always is these moments that go.

Oliver has verbalised *in canon* as much as his parents loved him, as long as he didn't publicly embarrass him they would let him make as many messes as he wants and sweep it away with money. It would have been even better if he'd ever referenced Moira trying to literally sweep away William's entire existence as well. If he'd been forced to actually grow up in response to that, he might never have got on the Gambit. A lot of their parenting majorly didn't help Oliver in the long run, even without the Emiko storyline. Wanting better for his son, Felicity pointing out 14 is difficult enough for regular kids....

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Soulfire said:

The Season 7 gag reel in HQ --

Oof, that tone SA uses when he's shooting the prison scene and asks "I mean how far are you actually going with your foot" is ... something.

• Love 2