Type keyword(s) to search

The Judges

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I was stuck in a hotel room where FN was the best choice and watched the twins episode and he sure as hell has.  And since this meant I watched all the commercials (which I never do otherwise)  I also saw Rachael pushing Worst Cooks and holy moley she was almost unrecognizable.

• Love 3
On 9/10/2016 at 2:35 PM, Totale said:

I was stuck in a hotel room where FN was the best choice and watched the twins episode and he sure as hell has.  And since this meant I watched all the commercials (which I never do otherwise)  I also saw Rachael pushing Worst Cooks and holy moley she was almost unrecognizable.

I don't watch Rachael's daytime show, but when my husband and I saw the same promo, we had the same reaction. I may tune in to her talk show for a double check.

3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Aaron has put on about 100 lbs, I think, from when he first started on the show. I know chefs often gain weight, then you look at someone like Eric Ripert who is still as gorgeous as he was years ago.

And Anthony Bourdain, even though he's not cooking anymore. I adore him - he's the bad boy I'd have dated.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

Trump deposition video set for release

Last week, the judge rejected motions from both sides seeking early victories in the case. Trump's side argued that his comments in the context of a political campaign could not legally amount to a breach of the contract with Zakarian. Zakarian's lawyers contend the remarks, including references to Mexicans as "rapists," made operation of the planned restaurant untenable because of impacts on both staffing and business.

ETA Here they are.

Edited by xaxat

I'm new here.  I have to say my least favorite judges are Maneet (the way she says 'very very' and 'tart') she sounds like a toddler when she speaks and it irritates the crap out of me.  And Zakarian.  He's so super pretentious.  I can't stand that guy.

On the flip side, I love Alex and Marcus, they're my favorite.  When they're on the teen episodes, they're just so warm and happy.

Edited by LissFirefly
Spelled Zakarian wrong.
  • Love 1

I like Amanda Freitag but one little thing bugs me.   She often comments on something being difficult to eat or not knowing how to eat it or fighting with it.  The way she says it with her hand gestures you would think the dish required power tools.  

Maneet's approach to a plate, amuses me.   Proceed with caution!  Often she tastes with just the tip of her fork so she can have a very tiny lick.

I appreciate their different personalities.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 9:08 AM, wings707 said:

Maneet's approach to a plate, amuses me.   Proceed with caution!  Often she tastes with just the tip of her fork so she can have a very tiny lick.

Maneet slays me.  I know she is supposed to be critical of the food, but it never fails, all of the other judges can love a contestant's dish, but she will always find something wrong with it.  I don't think I've ever heard her praise a dish without having something negative at the same time.  It irritates me because every time I hear her take on a dish, I get the urge to slap her.  LOL!

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 5:27 AM, LissFirefly said:

I have to say my least favorite judges are Maneet (the way she says 'very very' and 'tart') she sounds like a toddler when she speaks and it irritates the crap out of me.

OMG!  I feel the exact same way.  I understand English isn't her first language, but whenever I hear her pronounce the word "the" as "duhhh' I cringe.  Her and Amanda are my least favorites.  Amanda irritates me whenever someone has the audacity to have something sweet in the dessert round and she bitches about it.  I don't care if you don't like sweets, desserts are usually sweet.  At least where I come from they are.  Otherwise you're just having an after dinner snack.  Not everybody likes bacon or chili peppers in their desserts!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, swankie said:

Maneet slays me.  I know she is supposed to be critical of the food, but it never fails, all of the other judges can love a contestant's dish, but she will always find something wrong with it.  I don't think I've ever heard her praise a dish without having something negative at the same time.  It irritates me because every time I hear her take on a dish, I get the urge to slap her.  LOL!

OMG!  I feel the exact same way.  I understand English isn't her first language, but whenever I hear her pronounce the word "the" as "duhhh' I cringe.  Her and Amanda are my least favorites.  Amanda irritates me whenever someone has the audacity to have something sweet in the dessert round and she bitches about it.  I don't care if you don't like sweets, desserts are usually sweet.  At least where I come from they are.  Otherwise you're just having an after dinner snack.  Not everybody likes bacon or chili peppers in their desserts!

They seem to take turns on who delivers the bad news after several praises,  to me. The Indian language does not have a th sound among other letters that escape me at the moment, so I get it when she cannot speak them. Well she could, I suppose but doesn't go that far. Lol

Desserts can be too sweet, definitely. I am not fond of Amanda bUT I get that. Hershey syrup is too sweet. When using it for chocolate milk you cannot taste chocolate, it just tastes sweet.

My local brewery released a mole spice beer this week. I couldn't help but imagine Aaron saying "This is not a mole sauce! It's a beer! You should not use the word mole to describe it!"

• Love 1

God, I hate when Zakarian is a judge.  He's so prissy!  Maybe it's just his tone, and his tan.  On cooks vs. con, his fakeness is dialed up to ten!  Argh.  He just seems to take himself a lot more seriously than some of other other judges. 

Edited by roseslg
On December 16, 2016 at 4:02 AM, swankie said:

What kills me about her critiques is how she always says, "I wish you would have used such and so," or "I wish you would have made such and so."  It's as if she has it in her head what she wants the dish to be, and she measures the dish against that, rather than being able to evaluate what's in front her on its own merits.

On September 30, 2016 at 0:46 PM, xaxat said:

When I first read about the lawsuit, my opinion of GZ rose by almost infinite proportions...

• Love 2

Popped in here to announce my support for Eddie Jackson as a judge.  He seems so kind, and I wonder if going through the FNS hoops gives him some sympathy for the competing chefs.  Yet his criticism is still on point.  And he has the best smile.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Popped in here to announce my support for Eddie Jackson as a judge.  He seems so kind, and I wonder if going through the FNS hoops gives him some sympathy for the competing chefs.  Yet his criticism is still on point.  And he has the best smile.

I totally agree. I would like to see more of him. 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, meowmommy said:

What kills me about her critiques is how she always says, "I wish you would have used such and so," or "I wish you would have made such and so."  It's as if she has it in her head what she wants the dish to be, and she measures the dish against that, rather than being able to evaluate what's in front her on its own merits.

I agree completely, there has never been a dish that met her expectations, she thinks everyone should cook exactly like she does. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Scott Conant has opened a new Italian restaurant in Phoenix. I think I'll starve myself for a week, rob a bank, and head up there.

I find tomato sauce on everything boring (understatement) with Italian food.  But this has promise!  I will definitely check this out.  YUM!  

Mora_Menu.jpg  

• Love 1
On 1/26/2017 at 3:35 PM, roseslg said:

God, I hate when Zakarian is a judge.  He's so prissy!  Maybe it's just his tone, and his tan.  On cooks vs. con, his fakeness is dialed up to ten!  Argh.  He just seems to take himself a lot more seriously than some of other other judges. 

I used to go back and forth on Zakarian (and I agree on CvC, he's playing what he thinks a host should be like (hyper and happy) as opposed to who he really is) but over the years two things have firmly shifted my opinion on him toward "I like this guy." One is his relationship with Jeff Mauro on The Kitchen. His interactions with the other co-hosts can sometimes seem a bit stilted, but it's clear he and Jeff actually enjoy each other (and enjoy ribbing each other). Jeff humanizes Geoffrey, and Geoffrey seems to get a genuine kick out of him. He'll make fun of himself on the show (a little) and seems to laugh it off Jeff or the others yank his chain about his suits or time in the makeup chair or his general snobbery. I don't think he takes himself too seriously. The final blow to my ambivalence toward him, however, was Trump. When Zakarian immediately pulled his planned restaurant after Trump's remarks on Mexican immigrants and held firm after Trump sued him, it told me what I needed to know about him. He may be (and probably is) a snob, but he's decent people.

And Scott Conant? Scott is just sex on a stick. (He clearly realizes it, but I don't care. Sex. On. A. Stick.)

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Gbb said:

And Scott Conant? Scott is just sex on a stick. (He clearly realizes it, but I don't care. Sex. On. A. Stick.)

We're going to Scott's new Phoenix restaurant for our anniversary in August.  Can't wait!!!

1 hour ago, Gbb said:
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We're going to Scott's new Phoenix restaurant for our anniversary in August.  Can't wait!!!

I am going, too.  I have already chosen 10 dishes I have to order so there will be many trips. :^)   It is a 13 minute drive for me.  Everything looks delicious.  

https://www.moraitalian.com/#

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gbb said:

The final blow to my ambivalence toward him, however, was Trump. When Zakarian immediately pulled his planned restaurant after Trump's remarks on Mexican immigrants and held firm after Trump sued him, it told me what I needed to know about him. He may be (and probably is) a snob, but he's decent people.

I'm not giving him the benefit of doubt on that one. This is a person who filed for bankruptcy in order to avoid a lawsuit from his employees over unpaid wages and even his business partners sided with the workers.

• Love 3

Here is what I think of the judges on Chopped.

Alex Guarnaschelli is just meh. I used to find her annoying but she now seems like she really learned her manners.

Amanda is a nice and sweet lady, and I adore her.

Aaron Sanchez is a bit overbearing although he's really good in the judging panel.

Mark is kind of annoying because I kind of find him on every show.

Maneet is really nice and sweet, although I don't understand her much.

Scott Conant is a really funny dude. He's kind of a boring jerk. 

Chris is kind of neutral - I don't like him that much.

Marcus Samuelson gets on my last nerve.

Geoffrey Zakarian is okay.

I wish Geoffrey were host because I kind of find Ted Allen annoying. Every time someone seems to get on his nerves and those people are just hard-headed. :-)

On 4/26/2017 at 1:13 PM, Tessa Kizito said:

Marcus Samuelson gets on my last nerve.

Before Marcus Samuelson became a judge, the rule was "use as much or as little" of the basket ingredient. Chefs could legitimately hide the taste of hideous ingredients as long as it was in the dish. He started the "I can't taste this or that basket ingredient" and accusing chefs of covering up the ingredient instead of making it the star of their dish.  Now, if chocolate infused Spam is in the basket, whatever it's turned into had better still taste like chocolate Spam.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

Before Marcus Samuelson became a judge, the rule was "use as much or as little" of the basket ingredient. Chefs could legitimately hide the taste of hideous ingredients as long as it was in the dish. He started the "I can't taste this or that basket ingredient" and accusing chefs of covering up the ingredient instead of making it the star of their dish.  Now, if chocolate infused Spam is in the basket, whatever it's turned into had better still taste like chocolate Spam.

The first time I saw him, he was very legitimate and understanding, but now I find him kind of a pain-in-the-butt because he seems to be more strict now.

Chris Santos bugs me just slightly less.

We ate at Scott Conant’s restaurant, Mora Italian, last night here in Phoenix.  It was delicious.  Everything was excellent and beyond!  We got small plates so 3 of us were able to taste 6 savory dishes 4 desserts.  My grand children were there and both had a personal pizza.  I am going back for more next week when my other son arrives.  

I got a Jameson with one large ice cube.  I love they have those, it dilutes the whiskey less. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure how I feel about Martha Stewart as a judge.  I guess I'll just wait to see if she acts like one of the gang or the Queen of Sheba.  I am willing to bet that she and Alex will loathe one another if they don't already.

• Love 1

I think Martha will be fine. Prison seems to have done her a world of good. She doesn't seem to take herself too seriously anymore. I read she was a model prisoner, doing everything she could for her fellow inmates, like giving classes. Her current PBS shows are very good.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:14 AM, chessiegal said:

I think Martha will be fine. Prison seems to have done her a world of good. She doesn't seem to take herself too seriously anymore.

I agree.  It really seemed to humanize her, took the stick out of her butt and she's much more enjoyable now.  

Too bad this is the most interesting thing about Chopped these days.  It's become must-snooze TV.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 1:51 PM, Bastet said:

I like Martha Stewart on her cooking shows, and love her on her show with Snoop Dogg, so I'm excited to see her on this.

Dang, if they could bring Snoop in with her, I’d be watching every week.

• Love 1

Now that Martha's a judge I'll actively avoid any episode with her in it.  Like her if you want, even adore her if that's your thing (before or after prison) but my Mother and Aunt both went to Nutley High School with her, she's in the Nutley Hall of Fame (gag).  My whole family is from Nutley and goes way back in the town, my Grandfather's name is on the WWII memorial.......... so the stories she tells about growing up there, what things were like are fakey made up homespuns tales that mostly didn't happen that way.  It's just so fake and goody-goody to make herself look better and I not only have no respect for her I just can not watch anything she's on.  I like Chopped but I don't go crazy for it so not a big deal if I miss a bunch of episodes - if it avoids Martha it'll be very worth it.  

• Love 2

Donut episode................... I don't really mind Martha Stewart as a judge but I wish they'd stop fawning over her, feeding her lines, having her bring food and even having the contestants gush about her.  It's become quite annoying.  She's not the Queen of Sheba.  Just treat her like all the other judges.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, mlp said:

Donut episode................... I don't really mind Martha Stewart as a judge but I wish they'd stop fawning over her, feeding her lines, having her bring food and even having the contestants gush about her.  It's become quite annoying.  She's not the Queen of Sheba.  Just treat her like all the other judges.

Totally agree. I am already sick of seeing her face in every new episode. Didn't once upon a time rotate judges?? Guess we are stuck with her until TFN decides otherwise.

• Love 2

The contestants are always shocked to see Martha. Practically wetting their pants.

Is that scripted? Because it's ridiculous.

There are old episodes of Chopped Junior on Discovery Family with Martha as a judge. She's better on that and the kids are cute no matter what.

• Love 1