Type keyword(s) to search

The Judges

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Love that pic! Thanks for sharing cooksdelight!

Edited because I can't spell thanks or for or that when I'm sneezing. I hate allergy season. Sigh...

Edited by ramble

Nice to see Geoffrey's surviving his bankruptcy so nicely. I wonder how the employees he didn't pay overtime on their minimum wage salaries are doing?

I received less than 7% of the money I was owed when one of my former employers went bankrupt. This isn't the place to discuss reform of the bankruptcy laws, but really, employees need better protection. So Geoffrey's now on my dislike list out of principle.

Oh... but how not fun hearing what happened to GZ's employees. I hope they can recoup at least most of their losses.

As far as the other judges, I personally cannot stand Maneet and I feel bad because it's not even her specifically. She looks and sounds exactly like the one and only horrible boss I ever had after 17 years at my former company. I didn't have a problem with her (ex-boss) race, gender, or accent - I'm fine with all of the above. It just happens to be that Maneet matches way too closely, and every time she starts to talk my blood pressure rises. I end up having to fast forward through most of her commentary.

I am pretty entertained by the different looks the judges get on their faces. Some are pretty good at hiding how they really feel about a dish and some are so bad at it.  Amanda and Alex in particular I feel like I can read their minds the second they take a bite.

I love the whole theatrical presentation that the producers have developed with Chris and The Plate of Doom. Whenever a chef has severely undercooked a protein/left out an ingredient on a single plate it invariably winds up in front of him.

The other judges all go through their critiques, and then at the last moment, almost as an afterthought, Chris mentions that he didn't get the same plate as everybody else and seems so hurt about it.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4

Hah!  Saw this.  Bobby Flay is flogging yogurt...Scott Conant gets a luxury car!  What gives!

I saw it too!

Must say I appreciate Bobby's ad since I had no freakin' clue how you were supposed to pronounce "Fage" before. I was saying it all wrong...

Edited by NikSac

Newark Airport

Those two words together without amplification conjured up "how low can you go?"  but, after reading the article, I'm impressed.  Or will be if they actually pull all that off.  Newark is the closest airport to my daughter in PA so I'll have to plan a visit when those places open just to check out the restaurant scene.

• Love 1

I am VERY new to this show and have been binge-watching just not on the network, but seasons 14, 15 and current season On Demand. Oh and last week was the first time I started watching this show, after starting to watch Top Chef and I've never really watched cooking competitive shows, except for a couple of  Gordon Ramsey's shows (Don't judge me!)

That said, out of all the judges I've seen, I like them all except for Arrron, Marc, and Geoffrey; possibly because they're so durned nitpicky, and with Santos, I get the sense he's bound and determined to criticize something in each dish.

For health reasons, my appetite has taken a nose dive the past couple months, so I guess watching these two shows, I'm hoping for something to make me want to eat something, but damned if a lot of the ingredients just make me go "EWWWW!!!"

Though a lot of the buzz words the judges use when critiquing, confuzzle and confuse me to no end.

Welcome aboard GHScorpiosRule. You'll find a few embittered grizzled veterans (myself included), but I'm glad you have been enjoying the show.

Though a lot of the buzz words the judges use when critiquing, confuzzle and confuse me to no end.

Seasoning=more salt. That's the only jargon you really need to know.

• Love 4

Oh Seasoning I get, and I suppose in addition to the judges, the chefs themselves use words that make me feel like an ignorant maroon.

You know, like "transform" Just what the fuck does that mean? Transform? turn it into a different ingredient? what? I need a dictionary! And I consider myself fairly intelligent. Pop is another word, along with Dense, acidity, texture, reduce, and reduction.

I'm a fair to middlin' cook, in other words, in the minds of the judges and chefs, a pedestrian.

ETA:

I have to say, that I always want my desserts to be SWEET, so I cringe when I see chefs adding pepper or spices to "cut down" the sweetness. I'm like Noooo!

And I've been to high end restaurants, and I have to say it's only on these shows that I see these type of "presentations" where all the food mostly lies on top of each other. Me no likey. Guess that makes me pedestrian, eh?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I have to say, that I always want my desserts to be SWEET, so I cringe when I see chefs adding pepper or spices to "cut down" the sweetness. I'm like Noooo!

And I've been to high end restaurants, and I have to say it's only on these shows that I see these type of "presentations" where all the food mostly lies on top of each other. Me no likey. Guess that makes me pedestrian, eh?

I so totally agree about this thing they have about food being piled on high in the middle of the plate. Must everything be a mound? I like my desserts sweet also. Sorry, putting hot sauce on my dessert makes my stomach turn,

• Love 3

I'm always amazed when the chefs buy into the whole spicy balances sweet myth. Spicy may blunt the tastebuds, but bitter balances sweet, in the same way that salt and sour balance each other. My nonna kept a jar of decaf instant espresso around the kitchen for when the sweetness from onions and roasted garlic got too strong in savory dishes, and it works like a charm. Bitters work too (I keep fig and cocoa bitters in the fridge just for that), but she was old school.

The judges seem to buy it too. It's very strange.

Edited by Julia

GHScorpiosRule - If you want to get to know the judges better, I'd suggest you go to the Chopped section on the FN site and watch a few Chopped After Hours.  They're a stitch.  Any more, I think I like those better than the actual program.

• Love 2

GHScorpiosRule - If you want to get to know the judges better, I'd suggest you go to the Chopped section on the FN site and watch a few Chopped After Hours.  They're a stitch.  Any more, I think I like those better than the actual program.

Thanks mlp. I'm definitely going to check it out. Though I do have to admit, after watching the family competition, that I'm really, really, starting to dislike Santos and Geoffery. Those two are definitely on the bottom.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

There are a a bunch of older episodes airing today. Some you may have missed.

Yup, and they're being recorded! yes, I'm very lazy, or rather, don't feel like watching commercials, so I can zip through them.  And Geoffrey is still an asshat in the after hours as when he's judging.

• Love 1

That's too bad, because I really like Marcus, and would much prefer him to say, oh, I don't know, Geoffrey.

The way this show does seasons, is odd, to say the least. When I started watching a couple weeks ago, Marcus was a judge; the year was 2014, and it's my understanding that The Taste is in its third season this year. Do they do seasons like Dancing With the Stars or something? I saw a couple where it stated they were airing season 20, episode, whatever....

That's too bad, because I really like Marcus, and would much prefer him to say, oh, I don't know, Geoffrey.

The way this show does seasons, is odd, to say the least. When I started watching a couple weeks ago, Marcus was a judge; the year was 2014, and it's my understanding that The Taste is in its third season this year. Do they do seasons like Dancing With the Stars or something? I saw a couple where it stated they were airing season 20, episode, whatever....

Marcus just joined The Taste. It was Brian Malarkey year one.

Didn't we figure out (or was it on TWoP?) that Chopped is filmed something like a year to a year & a half before it's broadcast? I remember it was a very long time. I don't think Marcus was filming The Taste at the same time as Chopped.

• Love 1

Last year, they were running three seasons in May, when I set up this forum. But I'm informally moving this discussion to another thread, since it's no longer about judges.

I wish the judges would make up their minds!  Then again, I'm watching current and previous seasons at the same time, so that's probably why they're driving me crazy.

To whit:

Dessert's not sweet enough; I want my dessert to be sweet; then dessert is too sweet, you should have done something with x to make it less sweet.

You need to transform; I don't even recognize what you did with ingredient whatever.

You have to PLATE! it's time to PLATE! PLATE! PLATE! v. the few contestants I've seen who were done 2-5 minutes before the clock ran out, and then would criticize them with 'you had x minutes of time where you could have done a or b to make your plate better. It's like it's a rule violation of someone actually gasp! finishes a little early so they're not racing against the clock to the second, and sometimes having a messy presentation.

• Love 3