Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

^^^I FLOVE Ian! Oh I know he'll go down in flames because Victurd of the Black T-shirt of Virility will defend Nikki's honour blah blah, but Ray Wise is bringing so much to this show. That smile and those eyes just send such a myriad of emotions when he speaks. Y&R really lucked out with him.

IA about the flower arrangements. They were everywhere. Between them, the wealth of GC's upper society and the beautiful sets, Y&R was the classiest of all the soaps .

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 2

It is always right to love Ray Wise in any of his manifestations! And at the moment, he's doing a wonderful job of skating that fine line between playing a touch of referential campy satire [shout-out to StewedSquash] and real characterization.

He even classes up the "Stefano DiMera, International Man of Mystery" thing of lurking in doorways.

Loved that. Is it UO to like Ian? If it's wrong then I don't want to be right. I kept telling Dylan (via my tv because that's not crazy) to drop the knife and squirt Ian in the eye with lemon juice. I could tell that ex-soldier a thing or two about combat.

ITA that Y&R used to have great flowers. Every home and office had stunning floral arrangements. My mother used to say sometimes she tuned in just to see the flowers. :) Guess they cut that from the production budget, which is too bad because it was part of the sumptuous feel Y&R used to have.

The flowers were even seasonal, to boot. No sniffing marigolds. And the food used to look good, too! And Big Blue Plate, how I loved her!

• Love 4
My unpopular opinion is I wish they would have Jack be a playboy and stop with the mushy gushy stuff. I want him to have a whirl wind affair with Kelly and not do this redeeming Jack, I wish I was my saintly father schtick. I want a scheming playboy!

I was hoping Jack would have gotten some edge back and just "played" while Phyllis was in a coma. It would have made sense. I find it unbelievable that he'd fall for another woman in any kind of serious way. I want him to hook up with Kelly because I want Phyllis gone. But as far as character and story it's pretty weak.

I hope the show at least plays their relationship complex. But they won't. They'll make it all about Summer not wanting them together and so they fight their feelings.

• Love 1

Loved that. Is it UO to like Ian? If it's wrong then I don't want to be right. I kept telling Dylan (via my tv because that's not crazy) to drop the knife and squirt Ian in the eye with lemon juice. I could tell that ex-soldier a thing or two about combat.

Ian better watch out, because if Dylan snaps, he will totally cut a bitch with that lemon juice covered knife, and it's gonna sting.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think PB is a good actor but overrated.

I'm really really tired of all things Sharin and wish she would go away. At the very least I need a good long break from her.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 2

I'm really really tired of all things Sharin and wish she would go away. At the very least I need a good long break from her.

I think that PB has been an anchor of normality and restrained acting on the show. After being paired with MS and having to play the straight man to Countess Jazzhands Windmillerson as well as other characters like CrazyCakes Patty, he's always the compass that reels in the crazy. Jeez, he even makes EB look good with the laid back performances. The only thing I don't care for with PB is the Patented Taut Jack Jaw. It's an embellishment, but not nearly as bad as MS' Crazy Eyed Fists of Fury. He does tend to overuse that move, though. Past that, I think he's perfectly classy in the role, and makes it look easy to play Jack.

As far as Sharin', I wouldn't hold my breath on her going away anytime soon; she's central to a couple of big storylines, and like it or not, she's in there for the long haul. She's sticking around, and is a fixture, just like Turd's 'stache!

Ian better watch out, because if Dylan snaps, he will totally cut a bitch with that lemon juice covered knife, and it's gonna sting.

Yeah, Ol' Dullard looked like he could go all K-Bar Army Knife Training with that Ginsu knife on Ian there, thus setting up the inevitable "Whodunnit?" with Ian. I hope they don't do that, as Ray Wise is hitting it out of the park as Ian Ward, but they'll exit the character, no doubt. That's sad, because a long term feud with IW would be great for any number of characters on the show. Edited by canucktvwatcher
  • Love 3

I still don't care about Billy's former side piece and I don't like that Jack is being paired with her.

I don't like her either and do not understand why they recasted this unneeded character.

I sure hope we are not in for yet another lame ass whodunit with Ian as the victim. That would be a horrible waste. I am loving Ray Wise.

I have a bad feeling that is exactly where we are headed. They are setting it up so that almost everyone in town will have a reason to kill the old bastard.

I think PB is ok.. nothing special tho.. he sure made me NOT a jack fan..  I used to love the Jack character.. now he is a boring wimpy letch who falls in love at the drop of a dime.. bleck

and I am so with you on the sick of Sharin.. I really wanted that nutbag to go to the nuthouse for a long long time.

• Love 1

I imagine the writers would be shocked that the more popular opinion seems to be rooting for Ian over the Newmans/Dylan/Avery/Summer.  How DARE little miss "innocence foundation" get on Leslie's ass for defending Ian.  Oh right...because in miss cupcake's rainbows & unicorns world, her clients really are innocent! Blech.

• Love 1

I sure hope we are not in for yet another lame ass whodunit with Ian as the victim. That would be a horrible waste. I am loving Ray Wise.

It sure looks like that is where they are headed.  And I think we are starting to see the set up so that it can be just about anyone in town.

Maybe Ray Wise is too expensive to keep as a long term player.  I have no idea, but he's got some acting cred.  Maybe they can get higher list actors for shorter term parts.  This is absolute conjecture on my part, lol.  I hope he sticks around.  He's amazing with the psychobabble getting under people's skin.

• Love 2

I liked Cricket but I do agree that she was on too, too much back in the day.

I still like seeing Christine.  I like the Bell family, the real Bell family, and like to see them on Bill Bell's shows. 

What's even better than a Y&R forum?  15 Y&R forums filled with lots of laughs, but it's a lot of reading

• Love 2

I still like seeing Christine.  I like the Bell family, the real Bell family, and like to see them on Bill Bell's shows. 

ITA with you,  I know Christine can be grating at times but there is something comforting and familiar to me when I see her.  It's old school, YR.  I wish they would bring back Nina and let those two gals have a storyline together that doesn't revolve around Pauly tight pants.  I always loved when Christine would come over to Nina's apartment and they would gossip or whatever.

• Love 4

Okay, it galls me to admit it, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but I agree here.

ITA with you,  I know Christine can be grating at times but there is something comforting and familiar to me when I see her.  It's old school, YR.  I wish they would bring back Nina and let those two gals have a storyline together that doesn't revolve around Pauly tight pants.  I always loved when Christine would come over to Nina's apartment and they would gossip or whatever.

She's a known quantity, and a Bell [agreed, atomage], and even if she never says anything unpredictable, it is comforting to see her, and yes, it was good to see her with Nina during Nina's stint as mother of the year.

Commander Paul has never bothered me--that could be a UO, maybe. And he did chew some first-rate furniture during the "my evil son" storyline.

• Love 5

My unpopular opinion? I liked Cricket but I do agree that she was on too, too much back in the day. I therefore hated Phallus from the moment she galloped her goat-smelling ass onto the scene. An over-rated self involved unprofessional line repeating wannabe. The only time I though she could halfway act a scene is when she was Sheila. Then she was on every phreaking day in every phreaking s/l. Ugh. Blerg.

I don't miss her.

Ha! I share the same UO as well because I like Cricket also. In the early days she was the Anti-Phyllis, so I was Team Cricket 100%! While she was pretty bland for the most part, it didn't really bother me that she was front and centre all the time - she was the boss's daughter after all so I wasn't surprised. As long as she was driving that sicko Phyllis insane with jealousy, it was a delight watching Cricket torment her just by being alive! Lol. Good times.

• Love 6

You know, Phyllis love or hate, those were some really good scenes. The writers were onto something new, some revival of history that really could have, in the right hands, generated all kinds of interesting story. But no, it didn't go where it might have.

As long as she was driving that sicko Phyllis insane with jealousy, it was a delight watching Cricket torment her just by being alive! Lol. Good times.

Cricket was working off the super-righteous stiff there, and it worked! Too bad they don't do more of that.

• Love 2

I gotta say that you can put me in the Christine camp too, at least when she was attempting to bring down the Stick Monster for the hit and run.  It became clear after a while that it wouldn't happen,  but it was fun to imagine for a while.

Remember the overacting at that time, with SyPhyllis and Christine, and then PattyCake Paulie weeping and gnashing his teeth over Lil' Ricky?  I think I broke barwear myself at the time.

• Love 3

Sometimes, I just wonder if more ham isn't what's needed on the GCAC buffet. It's a soap, fergawd's sake! Bring on the Virginia Ham, the prosciutto, the Black Forest ham! Let smoked pork and witty lines rule the day!

Remember the overacting at that time, with SyPhyllis and Christine, and then PattyCake Paulie weeping and gnashing his teeth over Lil' Ricky?  I think I broke barwear myself at the time.

• Love 1

I found it entertaining. It was so bad it made me laugh a few times, especially the board room scene. If I had been in the room when that scene was being filmed I probably wouldn't have been able to keep it together.

Reading the other thread my UO is I was glad to see Jana go.  Couldn't have cared less... but that may in part have been due to the fact she was glommed onto the Fishers and I don't really like anybody in that family or how big they were for awhile, eating the show. 

My biggest UO may be that I don't hate MCE. I honesyly don't get comments about her looking like a boy or mannish. I agree that she lacks the appeal that, say, Sharon had back before she went off the rails, but with a lessened role and better writing...well, it worked for Michelle Stafford.

• Love 2

I like MCE too.  I liked her on AMC when they first brought her on, then they ruined the character so Rebecca Budig's character Greenlee would get a boost.  I thought she did a great job there under difficult circumstances - being paired with Ryan Lavery was NO treat.

I didn't care much one way or the other when she came to Y&R, but lately I've been enjoying the character more.

My UO - and I didn't like thinking this - but my feeling for Katherine Chancellor diminished in those late years when she seemed to exist mostly as an apologist for Victor and a cheerleader for Nikki, at the expense of characters who should have meant much more to her.  It's only thanks to Jeanne Cooper's decades worth of fabulous work that I didn't end up disliking Katherine completely.

My other UO - or maybe it's not so much, I don't know......is that I miss Judith Chapman.  Whatshisname, Jeffrey, HE I could do without.  But her I miss.

• Love 1

Hey boes--I kinda agree with everything you said---I thought MCE was OK (ok CRAZY sorta on amc) but she dressed better (sometimes) and while she was in the loon category often still she was OK--- I never realized that she was sacrificed at the altar of Rebecca  Budig but now that you mention it---ummm yeah---I am not fond of Chelsea but I know it is the writing and not the actress because I have seen her do better----and hope she will get something better but who knows?

My biggest UO may be that I don't hate MCE. I honesyly don't get comments about her looking like a boy or mannish.

I don't hate MCE either. I like her and Chelsea and I like her being paired with Adam. Even when they did nothing but sit on the couch and laugh I still liked them. Sure it may have been boring at times but it was nice seeing a couple who weren't miserable. And they were quite refreshing after having to suffer through the us against the world bullshit with Adam and Sharin. When Adam comes back I hope he is eventually put back with Chelsea and they become the partners in crime scheming couple that they should have been from the beginning.

My other UO - or maybe it's not so much, I don't know......is that I miss Judith Chapman.

I miss Gloria too. She brought some much needed humor to this depressing show and I miss the Fisher/Baldwin family interactions.

Looks like my UO is that I don't care for MCE! I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. The woman is a mediocre actress at best, her character has been propped to high heaven, and she is injected into more SL's than she needs to be. They've accelerated the character from a grifter to one of GC's rich and powerful. While possible, it's certainly not plausible. Mind you, we ARE talking about a soap here, but c'mon.

The slow burn/slow buildup of characters is a lost art on soaps these days, especially YR, where it seems like a) the more newbies the better, and b) the writers feel the need to accelerate characters without them paying their dues, storyline-wise. I get that audiences are now more impatient for the payoffs, but the writers, if they're worth a Good Goddamn, will/should be able to find the balance with characters, and develop them with an end goal for the character in mind.

My other UO is that I'm annoyed, as I've mentioned, with all the newbies introduced on the show. I understand there's a need to keep things fresh, but YR has been such a revolving door as of late, that they've failed at that, too. I have no fucks left to give about the newbies, which are variations on themes of characters already present. Like someone upthread, or elsewhere in YR discussion mentioned (apologies, I forget who said this, but I agree), ENOUGH WITH THE GRIFTERS! Also, enough with the "Grifter Gone Good" trope. Enough, enough, enough! And shame on JFP for continuing the dogpile of newbies with nothing to do, who are less interesting than reading a 1,000 page instruction manual. Cut the shit, JFP! We don't need newbies who no one gives a fat rat's rectum about standing in the background waving while they recite boring dialogue while simultaneously leaking any personality they have out onscreen. I mean, I could see it if any of the newbies actually had something worthwhile to do, but they don't. And most viewers, like me, don't care! Get a clue, fools on the writing staff!

• Love 4

UO?  I always enjoyed the Jabot boardroom scenes and the all the business storylines even though Victurd always came out on top.  I'm not sure if anyone works anymore. 

• Love 2

UO?  I always enjoyed the Jabot boardroom scenes and the all the business storylines even though Victurd always came out on top.  I'm not sure if anyone works anymore.

True, but I think these writers don't know how to write them, either!

• Love 2

UO, I like David Tom just fine.  He plays the role of Billy Abbott.  Billy Miller played the role of Billy Miller.  I wouldn't want to see Billy Miller come back.  Bacteria should never have happened in the first place.  Victoria is so much older than him, but do they ever address that?  Maybe with Victor calling him Billy Boy all the time.

• Love 2

I like Cane...there I said it :)  I don't like Lilly, but I do like her when she is with him, and I do like Lilly and Cane as a couple.  I do agree that their constant need to have sex is a bit annoying, but I don't feel like Cane is looking at her like he's some kind of perv.

• Love 4
(edited)

UO....I like the character of Colin. He's about twenty times the man Purseholder Cane is, and he's got some balls AND smarts. Too bad his empty headed offspring didn't get a bit of that. Also, he has good chemistry with Jill. TR and JW actually look like they're having fun, even though they're being handed shit sammiches on a regular basis.

I swear, they could have set up Bobby Scorps as a credible underworld threat to Turd, but they just fucked it up.

Edited by canucktvwatcher
  • Love 2

Love Tristan Rogers and always will but on this show? they saddle him with the crappiest self important son ever who sucks on a good day and has a she-devil valley girl for a wife who is hateful and selfish on a good day---aaarrrggghhh--even TR can only do so much with MWT and while I like Jess Walton and all this whole storyline does nothing for me and while I know it is easy to blame JFP who treated him like crap elsewhere still---this SHOW needs to get a clue and sadly I don't see that happening but still my TR love will remember the glory days of Robert Scorpio and not the drunk deadbeat dad they tried to sell at a later date on GH--not sure if JFPs did that or some other clueless dumbass---so sorry to see the really good ones kicked to the curb---sigh

• Love 3

UO:  I did not like Billy Miller.  I would ff thru him (and of course, Kane).  I though his hamming it up all the time was a complete turn off.  I haven't watched since they killed Delia - I could not go thru all that depressing stuff - and just never came back.  But I do keep up, and when BM left, there was such an outcry, while I'm thinking, who cares?  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Love 1
(edited)

LOL--mom and I quit for 6 weeks or maybe 2 months to avoid the whole Delia debacle---we love Billy Miller and our love started on AMC where he played MCEs insane brother that she killed with a crowbar---I really think they wanted to keep him but they could not figure out how and they had already gone there with the yucky whatever his name was who became Ronan on Y&R --he won an emmy and they said at AMC--whoops good actor how can they fix it so they gave him a brain tumor---ick--awful---horrid--etc. To this day I do not like that actor and HATED the character of Ronan even before he got involved with Phyllis and that made it worse----

As much as I like Billy Miller I get those who don't---he is an acquired taste and as a creep he is downright scary--see Lifetime movie or that show "Ringer" --still he has a soft spot for me and that is an UO apparently--lol

Edited by Oly
  • Love 2

Oly, I loved Ronan at first and was excited to see him play oposite Tricia Cast when it was discovered they were mother and son. But, in typical fashion, the show went with throwing him to Phyllis instead of showing us the angst between an adult child who was stolen at birth and his mother. That whole story could have come full circle and Nina's two sons could have busted the whole babynapping/selling ring that had their dirty mitts on Lucy. JB and TC had a real emotional vibe that could have been massive but nope! Instead we got the godawful Phonan. IMO, that was simply to showcase Phyllis in her black undies stomping around his office. Ronan turned into a whiny weenie and I was glad to see the last of him. 

• Love 6

LOL P&E--the actor was better than the material and that happened on AMC too--I didn't care for him on GL either but he was the last in a long line of recasts and I never bought into his relationship with Dinah (soon to be Phyllis over here) Your story line with Nina and her sons would have been so much better and Phyllis free would have worked for me.

I didn't think Billy Miller was all that great. But when DT came on I realized BM had a charisma that I missed. He also made Billy a grown up, and right or wrong, it's tough to go back to kid Billy now. I hated Villy. It's nonsense age-wise and I think AH is one of the most boring actresses on daytime. Initially Villy was funny because BM had enough charisma for the both of them. When they went angsty I thought they both sucked. I really hope BM doesn't win a lead actor Emmy. He is simply not that good an actor, IMO. Or if he is, he's lazy and picked moments to act. And that annoys me.

• Love 3

UO:  I want Shick to stay together.  Here's why - what if Sharon's secret comes out (I hope it's not true, but it is JFP), and Nick decides to forgive her cuz she was sick. Summer is pissed and turns to Jack and gets even closer him, since she is so mad that Nick forgave Sharon for the switch.  Victurd blows a gasket and gives Nick hell, who in turn really cuts daddy dearest out of his life for good (a girl can dream, right?)  But here's the best part for me - NuPhyllis goes nuts about it, is jealous of Shick, tries to run them down with her (rented) car, misses them, and drives head on into a brick wall and dies.  

• Love 8

Oly, I loved Ronan at first and was excited to see him play oposite Tricia Cast when it was discovered they were mother and son. But, in typical fashion, the show went with throwing him to Phyllis instead of showing us the angst between an adult child who was stolen at birth and his mother. That whole story could have come full circle and Nina's two sons could have busted the whole babynapping/selling ring that had their dirty mitts on Lucy. JB and TC had a real emotional vibe that could have been massive but nope! Instead we got the godawful Phonan. IMO, that was simply to showcase Phyllis in her black undies stomping around his office. Ronan turned into a whiny weenie and I was glad to see the last of him.

Yeah, Ramen Noodles was a wasted character. JB was working it, too, until they threw him to the Sarlac Pit of Phyllis. They could have had the Dynamic Duo of Ramen Noodles and Last Chance and taken that a ton of places storyline wise, but noooooo. I even was happy to see MomJeans Nina for awhile. Even with Phyllis aside, the writers completely screwed this up. At this point, the return of the three of them would be a vast improvement over the dreck that's being served up.

And for what it's worth, Chance and Chloe, while not entirely believable at all times, were a decent coupling. That too, did pass, though, to the surprise of no one. Once again, the writing team could not find their ass with both hands.

• Love 4

And for what it's worth, Chance and Chloe, while not entirely believable at all times, were a decent coupling. That too, did pass, though, to the surprise of no one. Once again, the writing team could not find their ass with both hands.

I'd almost forgotten Chance and Chloe.  What a shame they abandoned that pairing.  IMO it was the best Chloe was ever in, and made her more likable than she ever was again.  And I liked Chance - which wasn't a popular feeling on some sites.  I miss the character, and I miss that connection to the Golden Age of Y&R even more.

But not to worry, we have DILLON!  And no I'm NOT serious.

• Love 3

I liked Ronan fine, until they made him Nina's long lost son.  That was such a letdown for me, having watched the pretty much the entire babynapping story, and Nina's subsequent search.  And wasn't it all just a setup for bringing in Rose's neice and the whole Looooocy acquisition?  Ugh, it's hard to keep it all straight in my head because it was just so disappointing.  No emotional payoff.  It was like, "Oh, it's you" on Nina's part, and "You never found me!!" on Ronan's, for what, the span of maybe 5 episodes.  Then Ronan was snotty to Nina and she got fed up, then . . . what?  Ronan stole part of Chance's liver and skipped town?  I hated it.  The only decent part were the flashback scenes, but even those just underscored how much better this show was at playing drama.

Trivia questions, because I am too lazy to Google it.  Ronan had two names, correct?  His undercover and real one?  What was his other name, and which was the real one?

• Love 1