Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I would be ok if Eric Braden left the show for 6 month or so. I don't hate Victor, but I do think the character needs a break.

That three months he was off the show in '08 when Sony wouldn't kiss his ass on contract negotiations was definitely one of the better three month stretches in recent history imho. This was when he and Michelle Stafford took turns eating up the show and every road in Genoa City led back to his ass. I didn't miss Braeden for one New York minute.

But honestly, there should be more rotation of characters anyway. Back on New Years or Christmas, Y&R aired a rerun from the early 2000s or late 90s....someone at TwoP pointed out how the show would have an actor show up for one or two scenes and not appear again. Nowadays, they're featured for the entire episode whether they're needed or not. Seriously, does anyone need to see Lily bitch out Kneel three times a week?

• Love 3

Just stepping in here with my UO. I don't like the actor playing Billy at all.

To me, he's kind of coarse--something the Abbotts, physically, are not. And to me [repeating that subjective phrase], he has no resemblance at all to Jack or the rest [or Jill]--he looks more like Stitch's relative [and I'm no fan of Stitch]. While I'm at it, I don't like the actor's delivery--Abbotts speak quite well, and this guy's speech patterns seem a little declasse [can't find the accent marks] by comparison.

Well, there we go.

• Love 1

He's from the South and may be trying to correct his accent?  At first I thought he might be from Pennsyltucky like my family so I looked it up.

I noticed that yesterday...a couple times when he got loud I heard a smidge of Southern accent bleeding through, so that has to affect things until he gets used to it.

This post is to aid people like me, who years ago watched a show called the Young and the Restless.  Today we know the show claiming to be The Young and the Restless is, in fact, the equivalent of Patty Williams and the Plastic Surgeon.  But no one will believe us when we cry impostor.  And yes, on certain days we do feel as if we've been drugged into a paralytic corpse like state and a day player is whirling one of those skull carving electric pizza cutters near our heads.

So, I try to follow, without putting myself in harm's way by actually watching an episode.  But it leaves me with questions and I ask that you answer them.

At present:

1. what's the deal with the necklace?  Why does Colin want it? 
  2. What, in a nutshell, is the Kelly / Stitch story about?  Why has she got it in for him?  What did he do?
  3. Who killed Delia?
  4. Is Phyllis stirring?  Does she have major but sexay bedsores?
  5. Has NuBilly done any scenes with Jess Walton yet and was there any chemistry?
  6. Is Mariah really going to try to bed Nick?  Or steal him away or something?  Because we're talking Nick.  Odds favour her. And the creep factor is up there with Victor and Sharon creating the Colonnade Room.

I confess am on holiday, it was noon, it was raining, I may have been drinking, I know I needed the diversion, so I watched an episode (the moo episode) without the benefit of FF. 

Yeah.  It's great.  I did think new Billy has some potential, though he seems to have aged about twenty years even from Billy Miller  (not a word about wee young David Tom.)  Kelly seems like an old school soap actress, in a good way, but I can't figure out why we're supposed to like her or if there's anything about her that's likeable.  And her up do today made me think of Cousin It doing a handstand.

• Love 4

Who cares if it was noon, you are on holidays so you can drink with your breakfast. I doubt anyone here will be judgey.

Now would PhuckUp have any other kind of bedsores but the sexay one?

Cousin It (with no undies) doing a handstand. LOL!

• Love 1

I thought MS did havea  flair for comedy. Occasionally on purpose.

hate Austin - Will forgive all if he puts some jIf on his woopty-doo (OK, his penis)and becomes a young, dashing widower.

Billy 'killed' Delia.

• Love 1

Team Stitch!

Maybe when Sharon gets raked over the coals by Nick for CREAMY NUDE!! and is made a pariah by the rest of the scum in GC, while he gets with the doppelganger of their daughter,  she can hook up with Stitch.  The two of them can be a very attractive pair of black sheep.

• Love 4

Who do you guys think was the best Diane Jenkins?

I always preferred Original Recipe Diane Jenkins (Alex Donnelly) because of her chemistry with Jack.  Plus, she looked as if she could have at least been a model back in the day.  I just hated the way females roles are recast with increasingly younger actresses.  I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that MW is overrated and was horribly miscast as Diane.

But, MAB was enamored with populating Y&R with actors and actresses from canceled shows and she just loved her shiny new objects.  Once she got them on canvas, she totally rewrote the characters and their history to fit whatever inane plot she conjured up.  On what planet would ICKtor have wanted Diane's ass back?  Nor, did it help that Diane looked just as young, if not younger, than the stepson she shagged.

Another horribly miscast character:  Heather.  Just because someone is considered soap royalty doesn't mean they will always fit into a square peg.

• Love 1

I liked the last Heather, the original scratchy voiced Heather and I didn't like 3D Heather in the middle.

Apparently following my the last Colleen was OK heresy, I liked Maura West as Diane.  She made it her own.  Yeah, she's a slight scenery chewer but she would have been a formidable rival to any woman.  The woman gets the medium.  I just think she was inheriting a part that was strongly identified with others and she kind of ate the show (no fault of her own, nor for the first time) but I thought she gave the character a good edge that was lacking previously.  Diane under the original wasn't such a bad person she just sort of did stuff.  She got softer with Susan Walter who was very pretty.  But I never thought Diane mattered until MW took over she was a bit of a bitch.  I found her entertaining.  

Then again oddly my favourite Jill was always Deborah Adair.  She was kind of softer and lost and wanting more but not vicious or camp.  I think Bill Bell's original vision for the character was the forgotten child, who didn't like being poor, and sort of got in over her head with Phillip Chancellor, but loved him genuinely.  Then they did a hey-going-wild-on-prime-time and turned Jill into Alexis Carrington.   Jess Walton owns her now and I like Jess a lot, but she shouts too much, or she did when Jill had a major part.  If Adair had stayed I could see Jill being tougher but smarter.  Adair just couldn't do wrong side of the tracks.  I guess Aaron Spelling was determined to make her a night time star, failed, and now she's retired. 

(edited)

Unpopular Opinion: After seeing KSJ struggling this week, I think it's time to give him the pink slip. Dude is adrift in a sea of bad acting and even worse storylines.

At least give him a break for about six months off the show. Goddamn he's been terrible lately. I realize that shitty writing has something to do with it, but he's been atrocious as of late.

Also, I like the slow redemption they're giving Exhaustin right now. Nobody trusts the little turd, nor should they, but if they stretch this out long enough, it may make the character believable. Having said that, I fully expect the writers to fuck this up royally. I'm keeping my expectations LOW.

Edited by canucktvwatcher
  • Love 4

Agreed with KSJ. The center of the Winters family was always Drucilla, and since she died the MWTs have circled the drain with him. As for Dru's only progeny, boy did MAB fuck up there with the cancer story. I mean, it wad well acted and all, but now Lily has no chance of having kids with someone other than Canestipation. I wouldn't be sad to see the whole Winters family written off like the Fosters were and having a new black family via Tyler and Leslie.

• Love 3

I liked the last Heather. I thought she was probably the only actress who had some real chemistry with Daniel. They both seemed to be the right ages in real life and they looked good together. They had a "hip" look about them that worked. Red head Heather made me buy into Daniel's artsy sensitive side and not see him in a feminine way. If that make sense. And I liked her with Paul. They looked like they would be father and daughter. She also looked the part of a professional lawyer, assistant DA or prosecutor. Eden Reigel's Heather just made me think that she spent all her down time posting selfies on facebook.

I never really cared for Heather until the red headed one .  I did like her a lot, she seemed to have a real sense of humor unlike her predesessor.

• Love 1

Maybe Neil will become Nikki's drinking buddy - lol. I have never been a big Neil fan, but I do remember some good scenes between Neil and Harmony (Debbi Morgan). I found him more likable with her than with anyone since Dru, and I think she could help him if he starts drinking again. That would give room for Hilary and Devon to get on with it - then Lilly could have a fit about that.  The writing is just so bad for this poor man, I feel sorry for him. There was something sweet about Harmony and Neil together, and I think he needs to be taken in a totally different direction, if the character is going to survive. Again, not a big Neil fan, but looking for a solution to this mess.

• Love 1
The writing is just so bad for this poor man, I feel sorry for him. There was something sweet about Harmony and Neil together, and I think he needs to be taken in a totally different direction, if the character is going to survive.

Yep, and for starters I think he needs to be with a woman closer to his own age. Neil trying act all hip to what the youngsters are puttin' down just makes him look older and silly. I don't think there was anything remotely romantic about the cheap way he courted and wed Hilary and other than the sex part, his attitude toward her seems, IMO, more paternal than marital. Maybe with Ashley coming back the MWTs can revisit her earlier fling him (but for Ashley's sake I actually hope not).

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

I liked Clementine Ford as Mac.  She was the only Mac I did like.  As stated earlier, I also liked Final Departure Colleen. 

I think it's because I like actors who actually look like people, rather than soap actors, all beautiful Southern California types (or not exactly as shown surgical representations.)  

I feel sorry as the show is either ending or risking cancellation in the next few years, that the Jill character has descended into such poor definition and irrelevance.

I really miss the crazy town hijinks when Patty Haiduk was in town.  Those were nuts but good times.

I am still puzzling over why they put such emphasis on the degrading sex Ian forced on Nikki, only to have her so love the child that resulted.  Granted, I leave all my children on a doorstep immediately, if they're not suited for factory work, but I still struggle to reconcile how you could be wild about a child if a) he was the result of degrading sex and/or b) he was a friend of Jill. 

• Love 3

I love the love for Jennifer Landon as Heather Stevens! I LOVED how she took a true dayplayer role and turned it into a triple-Emmy-winning role on As the World Turns. She was always so natural and moving and I never understood why she didn't become a big star. Then when Y&R surprisingly hired her I thought it was nice that they finally had a strong actress in that age range, who also had chemistry with most of the cast, but then they dumped her. It made no sense to me. She was exactly what the show needed. The show used to have so many younger actresses (Tonya Lee Williams, Victoria Rowell, Heather Tom, Tricia Cast, etc.) who were *so* good and could do anything, but in recent years I just don't see that. For a show known for it's female characters I think the past 10 years this has been a very weak area.

On the subject of Kristoff St. John, I'll agree that he had gotten lazy at times, but the storylines are just bad for Neil. I don't understand why they can't center the "black story" around Olivia, or a properly recast Malcolm or Nate or even taking Justin from B&B (since he is part of the Barber family). They've tried so many things to make Neil work, but without Drucilla he is hopeless. I do think there are viable love interests for Neil (Sharon, Nina, Victoria & Cricket spring to mind), but we know they'd never put him with any of those women.

I know it's sacrilege to say anything against MTS, but it's time for her to go.  She's become matronly and her talent is gone.  I don't believe her as any sort of sexpot who can compete with Christine or any woman for that matter.  She's outdated in looks and MTS just doesn't do it for me anymore.  Her ugly face crying is just ammo for me to ffwd her.  I want Christine to go in serial killer mode and do away with the bitch.    Sorry but Nikki Reed Newman and all her damn drama is eating this show.  BASTA!!!  

• Love 6
I know it's sacrilege to say anything against MTS, but it's time for her to go.  She's become matronly and her talent is gone.

I get your point.  It's not so much her fault as they've been writing the same script and the same undeveloped character for thirty years.   Nikki's shown no permanent growth or maturation ever.  It's a shame, because life should have taught her something by now. 

• Love 4

I am still puzzling over why they put such emphasis on the degrading sex Ian forced on Nikki, only to have her so love the child that resulted. Granted, I leave all my children on a doorstep immediately, if they're not suited for factory work, but I still struggle to reconcile how you could be wild about a child if a) he was the result of degrading sex and/or b) he was a friend of Jill.

Oh, Lamplighter....I missed your wit after you got banned at the old board! This part frigging wins :D

• Love 1

Devon has no chemistry with anyone, not even his drycleaner.  This actor is so unappealing, so uncharismatic, I remain astounded that he is still on the show.  I remember when Dru wanted to foster him, and I was thinking, really, why?  To this day he has never shown a part of his personality that is likeable or appealing, and that has to be the actor.  He is a whiny little bitch.  And to think that Hillary would be so hot for him that she would be messed up emotionally etc?  GMAFB

• Love 10

I assume this is unpopular...I enjoy bitch Christine!  I find her so much more entertaining now than when she was the perfect pretty pretty princess Cricket, who was so freaking perfect she practically had singing bluebirds & harp-playing angels following her everywhere she went.

• Love 3

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I find myself constantly liking characters who oppose each other.  I loved both Katherine and Jill and they were always at war, and I loved the cat fights.  I love both Sharon and Phyllis, and don't really give a crap about who gets what man - it's about the way they play off each other.  I find the same fascination with Jack and Victor, even though Victor is always difficult to like, because they play their scenes together extremely well.  Lily and Hilary are interesting to watch, although it would be better if Lily brought it down a notch or two.  I think it takes talented actors to pull off these rivalries, and it takes them both to do it.  The new rivalry between Summer and Mariah holds a lot of promise, although I get tired of Summer's pout.  I always wonder why people pick one character to love and hate the other.  The interplay BETWEEN the characters is where they drama and humor shine for me.  JMO

• Love 7

That must make shows a lot more enjoyable for you, movinon. I usually don't feel the way you do about opposing characters, although I do find myself liking both Victor and Jack.

• Love 2

That must make shows a lot more enjoyable for you, movinon. I usually don't feel the way you do about opposing characters, although I do find myself liking both Victor and Jack.

Now, if I could only learn to like JFP and the writers, who, I must admit, seem to be doing better recently....probably the reason for the new replacement. lol

• Love 1

Ditto. I am loving Mariah now because she may be the only person the writers allow to take that snivelling brat Summer (and perhaps Phyllis? Weee!) down a couple of notches.

Summer and Dylan both have a built-in loathing factor: they are both the prize pets of JFP.

• Love 6

I'm putting this in unpopular opinions because THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE, but I have to say it:

I yelled "yesss!!" when Dylan told Sharon that no one owes her forgiveness and she can't just say sorry, she has to work on getting her life back together and expect it to take time (or words to that effect). Imagine that, words of wisdom from Dylan. He should have also told her she can't waltz into the office of opposing counsel and expect it not to be used against her, but baby steps.

• Love 4

Dylan was absolutely correct in what he told her so I have no problem with it either. No going in to the opposing counsel's office isn't a good idea but it seems that's about all they've got. I don't think a judge is going to give Dickyouass full custody because of that.

• Love 6

I think Avery will say it was an attempt at intimidation and use this as proof that Sharon is not well and balanced. Dickyouass is a perfect name for him. :)

Kristoff St. John is dead weight at this point and I agree they need to toss him. He can take the rest of the Winters with him.

• Love 4

I'm putting this in unpopular opinions because THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE, but I have to say it:

I yelled "yesss!!" when Dylan told Sharon that no one owes her forgiveness and she can't just say sorry, she has to work on getting her life back together and expect it to take time (or words to that effect). Imagine that, words of wisdom from Dylan. He should have also told her she can't waltz into the office of opposing counsel and expect it not to be used against her, but baby steps.

I thought that was a great scene, because he did speak some wisdom to her, but he did it with compassion.   I don't have a problem with the fact that Sharon isn't getting instant forgiveness or that she has some consequences, it's the absolute vilification of her by hypocrites.  The writing for Nick is just terrible, that he would go from UNDYING FOREVER LOVE to I HATE YOU AND YOU MAKE ME SICK AND I'M TAKING OUR KID in 30 seconds flat.  Cartoonish and silly.  Especially since other terrible writing had Nick facing NO consequences for lying about the same thing.  He ends up having Jack be his designated driver for his bachelor party.

• Love 9