Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/29/15

I believe Schilling is a first-time guest, but the rest are old faves:

6/29: Taylor Schilling (actress – promoting show “Orange is the New Black”)
6/30: Jon Hamm (actor – promoting movie “Minions”)
7/1: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
7/2: Sarah Vowell (author of upcoming book “Lafayette in the Somewhat United States”)

Weeks of 7/6 & 7/13: DARK!

Followed by the final 3 weeks of Jon. (sigh)

• Love 2

That rather sucks, taking two weeks off, then Jon doing twelve more shows in three weeks before abandoning us for good. <:( Well at least we get to see Sarah Vowell with Jon one more time.

With July 1 being Canada Day, will Jon give us Canadians something special, seeing as we were the ones that helped give him his international bonafides?

Waaah, waaah, poopy-poo! Someone call a fleet of Waaambulances for all the butthurt crybabies that didn't like the decisions handed down from the Supreme Court. But make sure they're all tied up on one end and the other tied to a trailer latch as the waaambulances drag them off from behind.

That Antonin Scalia cartoon was pretty cute, gripping the sadness of not getting his way. Does anyone know the style of animation they were trying to use? Was it from a comic or short cartoon or something cuz it looks vaguely familiar.

That Scalia cartoon was amazing.

I did laugh at those saying it should be the will of the people making this decision.  They conveniently ignore that with recent election results, and polls, the majority of Americans support same sex marriage.

• Love 3

That Antonin Scalia cartoon was pretty cute, gripping the sadness of not getting his way. Does anyone know the style of animation they were trying to use?

It was totally the old Zoloft sad little egg from the commercial of the early 2000s.

• Love 6

First of all, I feel confident that Diane Krueger and Taylor Schilling are the same person. I'll be skeptical of all 'evidence' presented to the contrary. Second of all, for such an apparently charming person, that was a really bad interview. Like, Love Hewitt levels of bad. Not that I think TS is JLH-esque at all. This is all on Jon. The senioritis has reached Stage 4, it appears.

• Love 2

Well, if it did fall off, that would explain the lavish editing.

Wow, that was some hacked up video right there. It was almost like they weren't even talking to each other and the entire conversation was spliced together. I wonder what the heck was going on. Of course, I am apparently the only person in the world who has never seen OITNB so I have no idea who this actress is.

While Jon was right to be flabbergasted by the proclamations against marriage equality from the right wing, something he fails to touch on is their pandering to the religious right. This is one of the very few aspects that I prefer in Bill Maher, he never fails to hammer away at that kind of hypocrisy.

• Love 3

Of course, I am apparently the only person in the world who has never seen OITNB so I have no idea who this actress is.

That makes two of us.  :-)

Because it can't be said enough : Shut the fuck up, Scalia.

• Love 3

I agree Jordan did a great job tonight, and Jon rescuing Jordan from inhaling mercury was not just sweet and breaks the "on location" gimmick, but his rescue encapsulates him showing dignity to human people. I feel like outside his rants with the media (especially FOX NEWS), at least he respects humanity no matter which side of the situation they are on, even though I know Jordan was just pretending. That was a nice reminder how much I'll miss him and his humility.

When Jon started talking tea, I thought Ollie was going to come out. But Jon ham was okay. Jon has the best hilarious ironic singing voice around.

Did not know Hamm was providing his voice to a comedic villain in a spinoff movie from Despicable Me.

Welcome to the clown car, Chris Christie. And take a deep breath before entering.

• Love 1

When Jon started talking tea, I thought Ollie was going to come out. But Jon ham was okay. Jon has the best hilarious ironic singing voice around.

TDS surprised me for letting celebrities present the tribute segments, defying my expectations of just allowing correspondents. Maybe they'll be saving their most successful alumni near the end. 

TDS surprised me for letting celebrities present the tribute segments, defying my expectations of just allowing correspondents. Maybe they'll be saving their most successful alumni near the end. 

My far out wish is that they save the last tribute for Obama returning to the show.  They just keep Obama's appearance a secret, Jon starts the first segment by talking about the Mets when Obama interrupts, and he even makes them spell Jon's name correctly.

Jon Hamm introducing the singing clips was great. I got a little kick out of him saying that Jon taught the world to sing. 

I need more info re the bit they did on Jewish minions. I don't think the audience understood either. Hamm spelled it out, but I didn't catch the spelling and don't know how to google it.

I was wondering what Hamm was there to promote. I like that his voice as the dungeon master is not really recognizable as his. I saw The Avengers: Age of Ultron this weekend, and I kept thinking he voiced Ultron. (It was James Spader.)

• Love 2

I need more info re the bit they did on Jewish minions.

It's spelled 'minyan', which I only know because of that one episode of Northern Exposure. (What?!)

I hope an upcoming retrospective tribute uses 'Stewbeef' as the name.

• Love 4

I really wish the SCOTUS had come out and announced that they'd ruled against marriage equality and let all these assholes go on and on about "The Supreme Court is the law of the land.  Them's the breaks." and "THEY UPHELD THE CONSTITUTION!!!"......

Only to have the SCOTUS come out and go "PSYCH!  Just kidding...." and then see what morons like Jindal and Huckabee would've said after that.  Because they love to spout off about how the Constitution grants them their right to have guns but apparently when there's not a ruling in their favor, the Constitution doesn't matter at all.

What a bunch of dicks.

• Love 2

Did not know Hamm was providing his voice to a comedic villain in a spinoff movie from Despicable Me.

Welcome to the clown car, Chris Christie. And take a deep breath before entering.

I'm thinking Ollie and the rest of the most successful ones will be the last week.

• Love 1

Schilling's Daily Show look was featured on Tom & Lorenzo's whiteboard - so while we didn't get their take on it, plenty of commenters chimed in.

• Honey, is someone pissed at you?
  • She knows she's wearing a bathrobe, right?
  • One doesn't just wake up and go out in Jay Gatsby's pajama top.
  • Darling, you walked outside in your bathrobe. If you want us to create a distraction for your discrete getaway, dear, wink twice.
  • She went straight from the bathroom to the taping.
  • Maybe the outfit is UNDER the bathrobe?

You know, I thought she was just wearing one of those "hipster dresses" I see a lot. But my husband's reaction was also "why is she wearing a bathrobe?"

• Love 1

If I did not know better (well who says that I do), I would swear that Jordan's segment was written by Stephen himself. I loved the segment, but I kept thinking Jordan was channeling Stephen as a correspondent. Which if true is awesome.

• Love 1
(edited)

I did laugh at those saying it should be the will of the people making this decision.  They conveniently ignore that with recent election results, and polls, the majority of Americans support same sex marriage.

And that 36 states had already enacted laws enabling gay people to marry. So if the Supreme Court had ruled gay marriage illegal, would the Republicans freak out about the "imperial" Supreme Court riding roughshod over the will of the states? Of course not, they'd have hailed the Supreme Court for restoring "God's Law." I'm so tired of the endless Republican hypocrisy. They claim that they're angry about the gay marriage ruling over the principle of judicial overreach, but they were angry when the Court wouldn't overreach and toss out the ACA subsidies.

Call yourself a patriot who loves America, but have a tantrum and say you want to shut down the Supreme Court when you don't like a couple of its rulings. Is that the kind of democracy we wanted to bring to the Middle East? We're setting a great example.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8

So I guess we know why Jon gave Kirsten Gillenbrand two segments. Incredulous that providing medical aid to 9/11 first responders has an expiry date, and that some in Congress feel the need to be assholes about it.

You suck at your day job, Ted Cruz. And you suck trying to replace Harry Shearer on The Simpsons.

• Love 4

WTF, Ted Cruz?

WTF, Chris Christie? When Hannity berates you about treating Obama respectfully, why not just throw it back in his face -- "Hey, Sean, what would you have done? Refused to greet him? Spit on his face? Like him or not, he's the goddamn President of the United States, and you show a little respect."

Loved all the fake campaign marketing items. Dr Ben Carson-ogenics. Stillary Clinton Moonshine. Killary Clinton Murder Kit.

Jon calling Trump an escalateur really cracked me up.

• Love 8
(edited)

As expected, Jon's takedown of the opponents of the SCOTUS' ruling on same-sex marriage was awesome. He eviscerated their pathetic arguments one-by-one, especially that beyond-tired trope comparing gay marriage to polygamy. Last time I checked, polygamy was not only a choice, it's a crime. So are bestiality and pedophilia, for that matter.

My response to Sen. Cruz's audition for The Simpsons: "Eat my shorts."

What a bunch of dicks.

I respectfully disagree. Dicks can be useful; Jindal, Huckabee, et. al., not so much.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5
(edited)

As expected, Jon's takedown of the opponents of the SCOTUS' ruling on same-sex marriage was awesome. He eviscerated their pathetic arguments one-by-one, especially that beyond-tired trope comparing gay marriage to polygamy. Last time I checked, polygamy was not only a choice, it's a crime. So are bestiality and pedophilia, for that matter.

Homosexuality used to be a crime (and still is in many places), so that wouldn't be an effective argument against those assholes. They can just point out how that has changed, so now these other "crimes" will stop being crimes. 

Edited by VMepicgrl

Homosexuality used to be a crime (and still is in many places), so that wouldn't be an effective argument against those assholes. They can just point out how that has changed, so now these other "crimes" will stop being crimes. 

Just like interracial marriages used to be a crime. Everything they're against was basically a crime.

• Love 2

To be perfectly honest I'd have a lot more respect for Kirsten Gillibrand if she'd named names like Jon was trying to goad her into doing. Yeah yeah, I get it, she has to "work with these people" and she wants to stay classy or whatever, but F that. Let's get real, there are some real a-holes in the Senate and they are never, ever going to work with Democrats on anything. I wish someone had the guts to name names. Point the finger, put them on the spot. Make them defend their odious positions, especially when it's something as egregious as denying medical coverage to first responders. I'm a little tired of the politicians playing "politically correct."

I bet Bernie Sanders would have named names.

• Love 4

On the bright side, Donald Trump hitching his crazymobile with the Republicans, and their likeminded crazy people like Steve King and Ted Cruz, will be a huge benefit for Hillary Clinton winning the White House in ease.

Alaska Indigenous People 1, Ohio nill. Don't worry Ohio, you still have your college football champs.

And we just saw the appeal of Sarah Vowell tonight. She's sarcastically funny and very intelligent. It would have been an exclamation point if, after Sarah had wheeled herself to him, Jon had planted a kiss on her cheek.

Seems a TDS tradition to blow dummies up on the MoZ before the Fourth of July.

• Love 2

The bit about Christie's first campaign ad with the guy punching the horse had me crying laughing.

What a classic bit. Now I want to watch Blazing Saddles again (though honestly the last time I saw it, the campfire scene made me gag).

• Love 1

No, I don't think it's professional to name names in any open forum. If KG were sitting next to another senator and called him out on some bs he said right there on the show, then ok. Otherwise, I'd rather there are some Senators who take the high road and say, "You're not professional, but I'm going set an an example for others. I'm here to work."

And that 36 states had already enacted laws enabling gay people to marry.

It would take *38* states to ratify an amendment. I'd say the will of the people is rather definitive. If anything, this is the kind of issue that scotus was created for. The social zeitgeist is clear on marriage equality and the court confirmed it on the national level. Some of the republican candidates complained that the 10th amendment rights were taken away, but the court decided on the case because there wasn't a need to sit for 14 other cases for the remaining states. 

This was actually a very precise and thoughtful handling. That's why they ruled last year about the 'legal standing'. That throws out a ton of other cases. Then they let the lower courts go through cases based strictly on equality and confirmed it on the federal level now. I mean, this is 8th grade civics.

I don't mean to be overly long, but this is really an important issue and I think we've moved to a more inclusive level of liberty with this case. 

In 1824, in retirement 37 years after serving as the Constitutional Convention’s prime mover, James Madison, 73, noted that the 1787 “language of our Constitution is already undergoing interpretations unknown to its founders.” He knew that the purport of the text would evolve “with the changeable meaning of the words composing it.”

Anthony Kennedy’s opinion for the court said: “The generations that wrote and ratified the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment did not presume to know the extent of freedom in all of its dimensions, and so they entrusted to future generations a charter protecting the right of all persons to enjoy liberty as we learn its meaning .”
Chief Justice Warren was not wrong when, in a 1958 case concerning the Eighth Amendment’s proscriptions of “cruel and unusual punishments,” he said: “The amendment must draw its meaning from the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-is-the-supreme-courts-duty/2015/07/01/c78a5a2e-1f51-11e5-aeb9-a411a84c9d55_story.html

I mean, if the guy who literally *wrote the Constitution* is saying, 'we made the Constitution this way,' come on.  

• Love 4

On the bright side, Donald Trump hitching his crazymobile with the Republicans, and their likeminded crazy people like Steve King and Ted Cruz, will be a huge benefit for Hillary Clinton winning the White House in ease.

Yeah, it could reach Hillary winning 45 states.  Trump's on tape saying that, it's not taken out of context, it's not misleading, he flat out said the Mexicans coming into the US are drug dealers, murderers, and rapists, with maybe some good people coming through.