Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

The guy in the Farxiga commercial has a weird accent. "Tell your doctor right away if you have blood or red color in your urine, or peeing while you urinate"?! Nope, that's just how he says "pain."

• Love 4

I don't understand this ad at all. First of all, it never tells you how you're going to win the mysterious concert tickets, and secondly, why does the woman with the Coke have a bottle with the word Larry on it?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7cQR/pepsi-but-only-with-pepsi-bottle

In the video she clearly says, "Larry", but whenever I've seen it on TV it sounds like she's saying, "Do I look like a loser to you?" At which point I always say, "Yes, you do."

• Love 2
(edited)

Why does the woman with the Coke have a bottle with the word Larry on it?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7cQR/pepsi-but-only-with-pepsi-bottle

Coke bottles now have people's names on them. I just assumed sales are down because people are drinking less soda, so Coke came up with this promotion to increase sales. Turns out you can buy a personalized bottle of Coke for five bucks: http://www.coca-colacompany.com/coca-cola-unbottled/is-your-name-on-a-coke-bottle-find-out-here

If the name you’re looking for isn’t available in stores, don't fret. Coca-Cola, Diet Coke and Coke Zero logos are also giving way to group names like “Family” and “Friends” on 1.25- and 2-liter bottles, and 12-oz. cans feature nicknames like “BFF,” “Star,” “Bestie,” “Legend,” “Grillmaster,” “Buddy” and “Wingman.”
Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

The "named" Coke bottles have been around since earlier in the year, I think.

I saw them last year, but never bothered to Google until CarpeDiem54 brought it up. 

The Pepsi commercial is snarking at the Coke promotion. As for how to win, there's a URL at the end of the commercial, pepsi.com/pass, which rolls over to https://www.pepsipass.com

Hang out with Pepsi Pass friends and you could earn points for access to exclusive events.

Pepsi Pass works with Facebook and automatically gives you points when you hang out with friends who have the app too. 

Rack up points even faster by capturing codes from specially marked Pepsi products. Look for them on caps, cups, and cans.

Use points toward epic rewards like concerts, getaways and exclusive events.

Do kids today say "epic"?

• Love 1

Thanks! Never heard of the lame "name on a Coke bottle" promo. And if an ad needs for me to go to a website and have a Facebook account to find out about something, they can kiss my ass. I've already wasted time watching their stupid commercial.

• Love 10

What I don't get about that car ad is that they have apparently never ever cleaned it if there is garbage in there from different stages of the daughters life. Gross.

I'll bet the parents have been just as diligent about the car's maintenance as its cleanliness.

• Love 4

Thanks! Never heard of the lame "name on a Coke bottle" promo. And if an ad needs for me to go to a website and have a Facebook account to find out about something, they can kiss my ass. I've already wasted time watching their stupid commercial.

Hahaha!  What a great response!  I'm such an old fogey!

• Love 4

Just back from the grocery store. I went out of my way to see if I could find any lame brained named Coke products. Nada. Must have been an "epic" fail.

Hahaha!  What a great response!  I'm such an old fogey!

Come sit next to me! I'm the Queen of Old Geezers.

• Love 2

Just back from the grocery store. I went out of my way to see if I could find any lame brained named Coke products. Nada. Must have been an "epic" fail.

Come sit next to me! I'm the Queen of Old Geezers.

If anyone cares, they carry them at Target. I have yet to find one with my name on it, though.

• Love 6

Just back from the grocery store. I went out of my way to see if I could find any lame brained named Coke products. Nada.

I had to pick up a bottle of Coke Zero for when my best friend comes over for lunch Sunday, and I couldn’t find one that didn’t have something written on it – not names, but family, friend, etc.  (She has a common first name, but with an uncommon spelling, so even if they’d had names I’d have had to block out a letter if I wanted to give her a “personalized” bottle.)

I found the whole thing annoying.  I don’t drink soda, so I only buy it for guests and that sporadic purchasing means I don’t instantly recognize which bottle is which version of Coke.  They were all turned with the friends/family/whatever side of the label facing out, and the diet, zero, etc. is written fairly small on that side.  It’s not as if it took me a long time to find what I was looking for, but it certainly took me longer than it should to grab a bottle of soda.

• Love 3
Nada. Must have been an "epic" fail

I think it's doing pretty well, and I have to admit that I enjoy it.  Whenever I find the name of one of my friends on my bottle I text them the image.  They didn't advertise it at all, and it seems to have spread totally by social media.  I see the bottles and cans with names everywhere and can't remember seeing the same name twice.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it's doing pretty well, and I have to admit that I enjoy it. Whenever I find the name of one of my friends on my bottle I text them the image. They didn't advertise it at all, and it seems to have spread totally by social media. I see the bottles and cans with names everywhere and can't remember seeing the same name twice.

From the linked article:

The “Share a Coke” campaign featured personalized Coke bottles and cans with the top 250 most popular teen and millennial names in the U.S.

It's interesting that I found my mother's name on a Diet Coke, so it is one of the top 250 teen/Millennial names, according to Coke. My mother is 66 years old. Her name isn't uncommon, but it's definitely a older fashioned name. Edited by bilgistic

I found one last summer in a Rite Aid in West Virginia with the name Jordan on it.  I have a trans relative and his name was Jordan, but she's changed it to a more girly name.  I also know another guy named Jordan, so I did what we're supposed to do - take a pic & post it on FB.  A "friend" suggested I was supposed to share the Coke with neither person, but the entire country of Jordan.

(I really bought two at Rite Aid - the other one was Buffy.  It was the closest bottle to where I was standing.)

• Love 4
(edited)

Around here, the bottles came out at Target last summer after the World Cup. Then they disappeared going into the fall and reappeared after Memorial Day a few weeks ago. Mr. Tanyak and little Master Tanyak have really common names and I found them both last summer. I have a name that was fairly common during the 1970s but has taken a nosedive since. I don't really want to say how many minutes I've spent at target turning Coke bottles around. Lol Strangely enough, I have a friend who lives in Minnesota, and she's found my name two or three times.

I do wonder about that whole "top 250 names of millennials." That might have been true last year, but I've seen some names this year that I have a hard time believing are millennial names. Certainly not in the top 250. I think they might have expanded it to be a little more inclusive.

Edited by tanyak

I have one of those names that probably will not be represented on the Coke cans.  Not a funny spelling, just not a common name.

I think I saw Brattinella on a can just last week...

;-)

• Love 11

I think I saw Brattinella on a can just last week...

;-)

The funny thing is, I've had this nickname for over 50 years, my Mom gave it to me.  It's not just a handle I dreamed up.  Thanks for the giggle!

• Love 3

True story.  A friend of mine lost her husband a few months ago.  One day not long ago she was at a store with a bin of Coke bottles with names and saw one with her name next to one with her husband's name.  It was like a sign.

• Love 11
(edited)

If anyone cares, they carry them at Target. I have yet to find one with my name on it, though.

They are in every store, where I live, that sell Coke products. Can't find one that says "sofaslug" on it though. <insert pout here>

Edited by sofaslug
  • Love 8
Coke bottles now have people's names on them. I just assumed sales are down because people are drinking less soda, so Coke came up with this promotion to increase sales. Turns out you can buy a personalized bottle of Coke for five bucks:

Anybody who is willing to fork over five bucks for a personalized Coke bottle sounds more than a little narcissistic to me.

• Love 2

I can speak only for the college-age kids I teach, but they definitely do. It's only slightly less trendy than "awesome" (which has stuck around as popular vernacular longer than anyone expected).

• Love 1
(edited)

Anybody who is willing to fork over five bucks for a personalized Coke bottle sounds more than a little narcissistic to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but my understanding is there's a slight difference between "you personalize" vs "already personalized because marketing". IE you go in a store and look through the cokes with names on, and grab one with your name: that's just buying a coke. It doesn't have a different price than what non-named bottles would. Whereas, you special order one with a name or word on it they weren't already producing, that's A: $5 and B: glass, not the usual 20 oz plastic bottles in most stores. They seem to be marketing the "special order personalized bottles" as for special events. Like, for weddings or bat mitzvahs or something. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

My 14 yo only says it sarcastically and with derision.  She doesn't make the finger quote gesture but you can hear them implied in her tone. 

I suspect that the use has become so wide spread and common, that it is now uncool with a subset of the younger crowd.  

• Love 2

The AT&T/Plenti ad where the guy in the AT&T store is sitting on the couch, eating the Chinese noodles from the breakroom.  I have to wonder what's going through his mind that he easily mistakes a small store's breakroom for a full blown cafeteria.  Can someone really be that dense? I feel bad for whoever brought those noodles for lunch.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7QMa/at-and-t-plenti-couch-potato

I randomly found a Diet Coke at Target with my mom's name and bought and gave it to her. She was delighted. It was sweet.

I found one with my mom's name as well.

Named Coke bottles, like named mugs, keychains, kids' bike license plates, etc, are all things which will never have my name.

Same here.  My name has so many different ways that it's spelled, companies won't even bother putting it on anything.

• Love 1

There's an ad that plays a nice song while a guy clears out the litter that built up in his Subaru while his daughter was growing up, then tosses her the keys. What kind of parent would want their college-age kid driving a car almost as old as the kid is?

Why not?   If I'm paying to send my kid to college, I have to buy a CAR, too?  

I just couldn't figure out why they had apparently never cleaned out the car before.

• Love 3

I saw an ad where Kellog's was trumpeting the fact that their new Frosted Flakes contain "energy clusters".

Back in my day, we called that "sugar".

And at some point in-between, it was called "honey". 

Even knowing what they're really saying, I still don't get the commercial.  Why is a stuffed toy that's wet with water going to appease the kid any more than one that's wet with juice?  And is the baby even crying because of the juice, or because they took the toy away to wash it instead of doing it later?  Most of all, why, when this is their second child, are they so freaked out by the crying?

This one has gone into heavy rotation around here recently. I hate it.

The "named" Coke bottles have been around since earlier in the year, I think.

I saw them in Germany in September 2013 but not in America for at least a year later.

Names Coke bottles are everywhere, and I thought they had been for years, but it looks like 2014 for the US.  They are in all grocery stores, gas stations, vending machines, drug stores, etc.  I've got one in front of me now with the name Jessica.  Last week's bottle had Mel.  (I didn't finish it so it's still at my desk, I don't memorize my Coke bottle names. ;-P  )

• Love 3

Here's a clip about how the personalized Coke bottle campaign played out in Australia. It looks like it worked quite well down under.

The thing I don't get about that Pepsi ad is that the Pepsi girl is kind of bitchy to the Coke girl, then is shown at the concert without her. If I were the Coke girl, I'd pop another quarter into the vending machine and ask it to give me a new friend.

Why not?   If I'm paying to send my kid to college, I have to buy a CAR, too?

Not necessarily. Some colleges won't even allow a freshman to have a car on campus.

I do wonder about that whole "top 250 names of millennials." That might have been true last year, but I've seen some names this year that I have a hard time believing are millennial names. Certainly not in the top 250. I think they might have expanded it to be a little more inclusive.

Sticking to a top name list could get them in trouble for not having "enough" ethnic names.

You can look up existing names here.

For some reason, it won't work for me. Oh well, they probably don't have my name. It's 1 of those "ethnic" names where you can mostly find the premade personalized stuff with my name in certain areas of the country (areas with big Latina/Hispanic populations) or Las Vegas (probably because they have a fairly big Filipino population & I'm half-Filipina... Though my name isn't specific to the Philippines; it's also Latina/Hispanic).

• Love 1
(edited)
Sticking to a top name list could get them in trouble for not having "enough" ethnic names.

I think it's a perfectly legit excuse if someone tries to get them in trouble for not having enough ethnic names.  "We didn't choose to omit 'ethnic' names, but in an effort to actually sell some Coke, we decided to stick to names that plenty of people have, so we decided to use the top names."

But I just searched for my own name, and it was on there, and I am 92% certain my name isn't one of the top 250 millennial names.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2

For some reason, it won't work for me. Oh well, they probably don't have my name. It's 1 of those "ethnic" names where you can mostly find the premade personalized stuff with my name in certain areas of the country (areas with big Latina/Hispanic populations) or Las Vegas (probably because they have a fairly big Filipino population & I'm half-Filipina... Though my name isn't specific to the Philippines; it's also Latina/Hispanic).

There's a lot of Latin/Hispanic names in the list, and some rather common "American" names were not.  I know when some of my friends checked, they could find their names.  However, I just tried all my friends' names and they are there now.

The first and middle names of everyone in my immediate family are on the list, except for my dad's first name because it's a very weird family name. My grandmother's name is on the list, and she's 88. My late grandfather's name isn't on the list, but his late friend's is; I only noticed it because it's just before mine.

My cats have people names, and neither of them are on the list, which is surprising. They are named after famous people.

I just checked and my name is there. I'm 100% sure it's not a popular name. I've only known one other woman with it and have only ever seen it used maybe a dozen times in my life. I've never seen it on a keychain, mug, etc. My Dad's name, which is old fashioned but quite common, isn't there. My Mom's old fashioned name is there. Weird.

Here's a clip about how the personalized Coke bottle campaign played out in Australia. It looks like it worked quite well down under.

Narrator: "In the previous month alone, 50% of teens and young adults hadn't even tasted a coke."

Rest of the Planet: "That's a good thing."

"One country painted red" made me visualize Coke's triumph over Pepsi in a bloody civil war.  Thank goodness the word's most iconic brand was able to help Australians everywhere resume "connecting."

The video reminded me of an article I read about countries where religion is disappearing:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-12811197

• Love 1