Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

I read comments on another website where someone posted various lies Sarah has said. It was interesting. They posted quotes from her. 

Sarah also said nasty things about Maddison. Quinn needs to put her in her place.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, portfino said:

Sarah Gertrude Shapiro joins the long list of showrunners (basically everyone but Vince Gilligan) who should never talk about their show.

The Marti Noxon bad blood is fine. That's probably creative ego's butting heads. And I don't mind her attacks on Lifetime execs, that's punching upward. But the stuff about Josh Kelly is completely unnecessary, and that's coming from someone who's been very critical of the character.

I know it's hard to get new jobs in Hollywood, but if I were Josh Kelly, I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.  If your showrunner/director/writer is that blatant about hating your character, and is actively trying to ruin them, I'd get the hell out too.  This completely explains to me the sharp character turn Jeremy made at the end of last season and the beginning of this one - I actually had the UO of liking him more than Adam, but this character change feels inorganic to me, and knowing that Sarah was forced to keep him when she didn't like the character makes a lot of sense.  Before his change this season, I actually could've have seen his and Rachel's relationship not as a Carrie/Mr. Big (as they reference in the article) but more as "two people who are drawn to each other even though they know they're toxic when they're together."  You could write some interesting storylines with that, especially now that Rachel is in charge.  Instead, Jeremy is now this one-dimensional asshole and there are no shades of gray to their relationship.  It's sloppy writing. 

I will say, I hope Josh Kelly got his way and he doesn't actually physically attack Rachel.  That's a step too far for me, and I don't buy the excuse Sarah gave him of "it would make the character more complex".    

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Jeremy adds nothing to the show so that article certainly answered my question about why he was still around. I hate when a network forces a a male actor on a show hoping the female viewers will lust after him.

• Love 6
(edited)

Jeremy could have been an interesting character, but to pigeonhole him as a Mr. Big type (which, what?!) limits what they can do with the character. Rachel shouldn't be with anyone right now, let alone seesawing with Jeremy. But Lifetime is gonna Lifetime, I guess.

Poor Josh Kelly. It can't be fun to be on a show whose EP doesn't want you there.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7

I would much rather Rachel focus on her career then a man. Lifetime has said they are trying to re brand the network yet they continue to do the same stuff over and over again. Unless Josh can't find another job I would leave.

• Love 6
On 6/14/2016 at 8:26 PM, portfino said:

Sarah Gertrude Shapiro joins the long list of showrunners (basically everyone but Vince Gilligan) who should never talk about their show.

The Marti Noxon bad blood is fine. That's probably creative ego's butting heads. And I don't mind her attacks on Lifetime execs, that's punching upward. But the stuff about Josh Kelly is completely unnecessary, and that's coming from someone who's been very critical of the character.

Yeah, she seems more than a little insufferable.  I am not the biggest Marti Noxon fan, but I wonder if her absence is the reason I have found this season lacking. I can't quite pinpoint it, but I am not nearly as invested this season. so far.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I can't quite pinpoint it

IMO, Noxon seemed to be able to focus and produce Shapiro's ideas in a way that worked for the show and the network, and I feel like that pragmaticism is gone.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/15/2016 at 9:22 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I know it's hard to get new jobs in Hollywood, but if I were Josh Kelly, I'd be looking for a new job ASAP.  If your showrunner/director/writer is that blatant about hating your character, and is actively trying to ruin them, I'd get the hell out too.  This completely explains to me the sharp character turn Jeremy made at the end of last season and the beginning of this one - I actually had the UO of liking him more than Adam, but this character change feels inorganic to me, and knowing that Sarah was forced to keep him when she didn't like the character makes a lot of sense.  Before his change this season, I actually could've have seen his and Rachel's relationship not as a Carrie/Mr. Big (as they reference in the article) but more as "two people who are drawn to each other even though they know they're toxic when they're together."  You could write some interesting storylines with that, especially now that Rachel is in charge.  Instead, Jeremy is now this one-dimensional asshole and there are no shades of gray to their relationship.  It's sloppy writing. 

I will say, I hope Josh Kelly got his way and he doesn't actually physically attack Rachel.  That's a step too far for me, and I don't buy the excuse Sarah gave him of "it would make the character more complex".    

Spoiler

SGS did eventually talked JK into doing the scene where Jeremy attacks Rachel. JK didn't want to do the scene at first because he thought he was being cast off the show! And the writers originally wrote out Jeremy in the fifth episode of season two, before SGS decided to extend his storyline throughout the rest of the season!

And I think that SGS didn't make Jeremy into the Mr. Big type like like the studio (not the network) wanted her to, 'cause it also said in the article that she didn't want to make Jeremy that type of character, and created a storyline where he turned into an asshole! I actually posted that New Yorker article on his facebook account (I'm friends with him on FB), and JK PM'd me to delete it because it made him and other people feel uncomfortable! And I asked him if he was going to stick around next season because of what was said in that article, and he told me he didn't know, but he recently tweeted on his twitter account that he wrapped production on S2, and used the hashtag #tillnextseason which may indicate that he'll be back next season!

Edited by saoirse
spoiler tag added
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Jeremy could have been an interesting character, but to pigeonhole him as a Mr. Big type (which, what?!) limits what they can do with the character. Rachel shouldn't be with anyone right now, let alone seesawing with Jeremy. But Lifetime is gonna Lifetime, I guess.

Poor Josh Kelly. It can't be fun to be on a show whose EP doesn't want you there.

Maybe I'm being contrarian here, but this could be an opportunity for him to show what he can do in roles he would never have been cast for before - 

• Love 2

Call me cold hearted but I really don't care if Josh works on this show or not. Just like a normal person if the boss doesnt like you at the job you look for better and leave when you can.. Jeremy is a character to me who just never added anything to the show worth warranting Lifetime to want to shove the character onto viewers. Rachel doesn't need him and the characters don't have much chemistry if any chemistry together.

• Love 8

The actress who plays Brandi is taking over the  Entertainment Weekly snapchat tonight for episode 3. I was going to reply to the tweet that she sent out but I held back. Here's what I almost tweeted out. Who's to blame me or the show?

@MoGanderton @EW @UnRealLifetime I love UnREAL but sadly I have no idea who you are. Shame on UnREAL for not doing a better job.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I watched this on the UK Lifetime channel last year but doesn't look like it's returning to it this year. So disappointing as I really enjoyed it :(

That's really surprising.

• Love 2
On June 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Deanie87 said:

Yeah, she seems more than a little insufferable.  I am not the biggest Marti Noxon fan, but I wonder if her absence is the reason I have found this season lacking. I can't quite pinpoint it, but I am not nearly as invested this season. so far.

On June 16, 2016 at 3:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

IMO, Noxon seemed to be able to focus and produce Shapiro's ideas in a way that worked for the show and the network, and I feel like that pragmaticism is gone.

I agree - something is missing and after that article it seems it's Marti Noxon. SGS is basically in charge now, which is what she wanted I guess, but I think she kind shot herself in the foot because something is off this season.

I feel so bad for Josh Kelly - no matter what I feel about Jeremy, that New Yorker article - ouch.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, basically said:

I agree - something is missing and after that article it seems it's Marti Noxon. SGS is basically in charge now, which is what she wanted I guess, but I think she kind shot herself in the foot because something is off this season.

I feel so bad for Josh Kelly - no matter what I feel about Jeremy, that New Yorker article - ouch.

What is SGS?

I feel badly for Josh Kelly, too. Jeremy is not a compelling character.  He is not a good evil force.  He is just mean and it cuts too close to a real life personality rather than what this show is doing with the rest of the cast. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, wings707 said:

What is SGS?

I feel badly for Josh Kelly, too. Jeremy is not a compelling character.  He is not a good evil force.  He is just mean and it cuts too close to a real life personality rather than what this show is doing with the rest of the cast. 

SSG = Sarah Gertrude Shapiro. She's the wine who worked on the bachelor l and created the short that became UnREAL.

• Love 2
On 6/16/2016 at 10:14 AM, earlbny said:

I would much rather Rachel focus on her career then a man. Lifetime has said they are trying to re brand the network yet they continue to do the same stuff over and over again. Unless Josh can't find another job I would leave.

If the studio has him on contract, there's very little he can do.  I liked Jeremy more than others and really like Josh Kelly but they should have definitely let him go if he didn't fit into her plans for this season.

That said, I'm not sure I approve of her plans for this season.  Both Chet and Jeremy had their dark sides last year but this season it seems like its their dark sides on meth.  I think her plans for Jeremy are over the top.  And I think what she's doing with Chet is especially over-the-top and meant for some kind of plot point that isn't even all that interesting.  As a result, even Quinn and Rachel are starting to feel like caricatures since they aren't even playing off of real characters.

On 6/12/2016 at 3:53 PM, scartact said:

I too have a lot of concerns about how UnREAL will ultimately handle race and racism (especially anti-black racism) and how it intersects with sexuality, but I'm cautiously optimistic and I just don't personally come to the same conclusion the writer does that, "Season 2 cannot be saved" after seeing merely one episode. I would rather see how the show handles it and then critique what they've presented because I think the work should at least speak for itself first before I apply my opinion to it. How do we know Ruby is going to be "othered" and pushed to the sidelines yet? How sure can we be there Jay won't have a complex and complicated response to the portrayal of race on this show?

That being said, while I think the writer comes to her conclusions prematurely and would have liked her to be more explicit in her critiques, I absolutely do not think they are invalid to have, nor is it invalid to want the show to be accountable to how it portrays its characters. I don't think there's such a thing as asking too much either for a show to do and it is important to voice these concerns as entertainment attempts to diversify itself.

I can see how some people might think her conclusions are reached too hastily but I see her POV.  The show has laid out its season and its POV.  It's unlikely, with as many episodes that they have, that there's going to be some grand pivot. Ironically, even though they have a black bachelor, I think the show did a better job of commenting on race last season.  At least it didn't pretend it was going to make greater revelations about race than it did. 

• Love 4
On 6/8/2016 at 0:14 PM, wings707 said:

Maybe Netflix would pick it up.  

This would literally make me jump for joy.  I think this show is PERFECT binge watching material.

Netflix has a lot of shows I think they need to drop (they just released something with Adam Sandler that looks terrible, and I'm not really into Bloodline)

If they could drop a couple of stinkers and pick up UNreal, I would be so very happy.

• Love 4

I'm glad we now know why Jeremy is still there. UO but I really liked him last year, I found him so hot, I liked how much he loved Rachel and I was annoyed at how she dicked him around. When he called her mum in the last ep though... that was just shitty, I didn't want to see him again after that. His character was certainly a one and done so I was very surprised to see him back ALTHOUGH, I didn't even know it was him because Josh Kelly looks so bad now! I had to look up on IMDb to see if it was JK because he looks so different. I generally hate negatively commenting on someone's appearance but his looks take me out of the story because I keep thinking it's a different character and really, he was there as the eye-candy last year so without his hotness and now he's also being totally nasty and chauvinistic his role seems totally pointless. I'm not a supermodel and my weight certainly yo-yos so I can understand how that happens but it's so disconcerting with him. I'm not sizest either and I'm fine with scruffiness, I actually find Chris Pratt much more attractive when he is bigger and scruffy ala Parks and Rec season 1 than all buff in Jurassic World but you can still tell it's CP. With JK it's very hard to reconcile the two different appearances.

(I feel so mean!)

• Love 2
(edited)

I am I the only person that is so over Quinn's one liners? For me it went from OMG she did not just say that to now she's like a cartoon character. I feel like they are trying to hard to get everyone to start saying her one liners and become the new catch phase.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, earlbny said:

I am I the only person that is so over Quinn's one liners? For me it went from OMG she did not just say that to now she's like a cartoon character. I feel like they are trying to hard to get everyone to start saying her one liners and become the new catch phase.

I think they're just trying to hard to show her as a 'hard-ass', 'lean-in', 'alpha-woman'.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, fastiller said:

I think they're just trying to hard to show her as a 'hard-ass', 'lean-in', 'alpha-woman'.

ITA. I had that discussion with a lady friend of mine and she said it was because Constance is a woman. I said if it was Chet I would feel the same way. Even Tony Soprano was nice sometimes. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, earlbny said:

ITA. I had that discussion with a lady friend of mine and she said it was because Cinstance is a woman. I said if it was Chet I would feel the same way. Even Tony Soprano was nice sometimes. 

I said this somewhere else....but I agree.  I hate that in order for a woman to be strong she has to always be a jerk.  Or grabbing her crotch.  I don't think a guy is awesome for grabbing his junk and neither is a grown woman.  

Some people can be nice...AND strong.  I've seen it with my own two eyes....and heard it with my own two ears....no other senses were involved :)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, earlbny said:

ITA. I had that discussion with a lady friend of mine and she said it was because Constance is a woman. I said if it was Chet I would feel the same way. Even Tony Soprano was nice sometimes. 

4 hours ago, RCharter said:

I said this somewhere else....but I agree.  I hate that in order for a woman to be strong she has to always be a jerk.  Or grabbing her crotch.  I don't think a guy is awesome for grabbing his junk and neither is a grown woman.  

Some people can be nice...AND strong.  I've seen it with my own two eyes....and heard it with my own two ears....no other senses were involved :)

I should've ended my previous post with "and I don't like it..."

The entire characterization of Quinn these first few S2 episodes have me really, actively disliking her. Not just in the "yeah, she's not so great" way, but rather in a "oh good God I wish she'd fall off her very high stilettos and break her leg and not be able to be around anymore" way. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, fastiller said:

I should've ended my previous post with "and I don't like it..."

The entire characterization of Quinn these first few S2 episodes have me really, actively disliking her. Not just in the "yeah, she's not so great" way, but rather in a "oh good God I wish she'd fall off her very high stilettos and break her leg and not be able to be around anymore" way. 

I know what you mean. you could say the same thing for a few of the characters this season. I am curious to know how different this show would be if Constance never took the job and Megyn Price was Quinn. Or if Marti Noxon never left? I heard the original pilot they shot with Megyn was more comedy and less drama.

Edited by earlbny
23 hours ago, earlbny said:

Oh, no. I LOVE Quinn's one-liners. A big reason to watch the show! Please don't take that away from me LOL!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I love her one liners too!

This show is full of cartoon characters and over the top personalities.  I like that!  

Yeah but they at least had a shred or two of humanity.  I feel like thats mostly gone away this year.  

Season 1 really did feel more like a behind the scenes look at a reality show.  This year doesn't quite have the same feel....and I think, in part, thats because its hard to believe that people really have their "awful" dial turned up to 11 all the time.  Or that people keep falling for people who have their "awful" meter dialed up to 11 all the time.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RCharter said:

Yeah but they at least had a shred or two of humanity.  I feel like thats mostly gone away this year.  

Season 1 really did feel more like a behind the scenes look at a reality show.  This year doesn't quite have the same feel....and I think, in part, thats because its hard to believe that people really have their "awful" dial turned up to 11 all the time.  Or that people keep falling for people who have their "awful" meter dialed up to 11 all the time.

I agree that the departure from the season one format is disappointing.  I don't take this show as seriously as some.  I sit back and enjoy it for what it is.  I think it will get better in season 3. 

(edited)
3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I agree that the departure from the season one format is disappointing.  I don't take this show as seriously as some.  I sit back and enjoy it for what it is.  I think it will get better in season 3. 

I agree......I still enjoy the show and its still appointment TV for me.  I just think its lost a bit of its mojo.  

And, maybe there is some awesome overall plan (like Coleman doing a behind the scenes), or they may start fleshing out some of the characters. I like the base story line, and I'm really growing to like Darius/Ruby.  I hope they give more backstory/characterization to some of the contestants.  I feel like they are trying with a few of them, so maybe as the season progresses we'll get more.

I sincerely hope that there is a plan to get the show back on track with season 1.  I've heard of something called the sophmore slump, so maybe this is it?

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hope nobody minds if I switch it up a bit.

Tonight I went to the NYIT SAG-AFTRA

Foundation conversations UnREAL. 

Tonight I went to the NYIT SAG-AFTRA

Foundation conversations UnREAL. 

For the 1st time in history I did not get lost. yay for me. I walked into the NYIT building and got on the end of the line. There was probably a good 10 or 20 people in front of me. Then as they let us in nobody was paying attention so I was able to cut the line. My mom taught me that trick. I went down an escalator and made my way to the theater.  I noticed that since I was one of the 1st people in the theater I could sit anywhere I want. So I choose to sit in the front row. Being short I always wind up getting stuck behind someone tall. These were comfy seats as apposed to the crappy seats I am used to sitting in. I even found a secret outlet under the seat so I could plug my phone in.

Someone took the stage and made some announcements letting us know that we can't take photos or videos. We also were not aloud to get autographs. They also mentioned that we can't reveal any spoilers. Then the lights went down and we were treated to episode 6. That's the episode Shiri directed. For some reason they skipped episode 5. Weird. After the episode was over the lights came on and the cast came out. Shiri, Constance, Jeffrey and Craig. No surprise but Shiri looked absolutely stunning. We then got treated to a 30 minute Q&A. No questions from the audience. The only time they went to the audience was when Jeffery made DeeDee stand up. She plays Ruby.

After it was over I made my way over to Shiri. I was extremely nervous. I've met her many times but it does not get any easier. I turn into a 13 year old boy who just started going through puberty. LOL However I took my friends advice and went for it. I threw out my nerves and talked to her. This may sound cheesy but I gave her a handmade card. She thought it was so sweet. I know they said no autographs but I had a copy of the variety magazine with Constance's autograph but not Shiri's. I was determined to get it signed. As soon I was about to hand it to Shiri a lady came over and said no autographs. Shiri begged the lady to make an exception. Then she signed my magazine. Shiri said to Constance this Eric. I nearly lost it. I can't believe she knew who I was. Constance said we answered all your questions you sent in for the Yahoo thing. I asked a lot of questions. I was bored at work. She said it should be up real soon. I got to meet all 4 cast members and get a pic and autograph with Shiri. 

I have a strange feeling I am going to sleep really good tonight.

Spoiler

The cast is super friendly and nothing like the characters they play on UnREAL.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Yeesh, 480,000?  That's bad.  If the ratings are this low, I wonder if Lifetime would think about pulling the renewal (like HBO recently did with Vinyl).  

The biggest silver lining is that I think it would give Netflix a chance to pick up the show.*

And I think Netflix might allow SGS a little more creative freedom.

I've only read second hand stuff -- but she seems like she speaks her mind, and it doesn't seem like she is entirely happy with the direction of the show, and much of that comes from having to kowtow to the network.  I wonder if....subconsciously at least....she may be writing this show to fail.

If Netflix picked this show up it would be great, I totally binge watched the first season and it was an awesome binge watching show.

* - credit to the person upthread that mentioned the idea of a move to Netflix.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RCharter said:

- credit to the person upthread that mentioned the idea of a move to Netflix

Thank you!  That was me.  

1 hour ago, romantic idiot said:

Not sure more creative freedom is what SGS needs, given the Season we are seeing so far. 

There is too much creative freedom that has run amok from where I sit. .  

• Love 2

I've never been that much of a fan of Marti Noxon but now I realize why I haven't been feeling this season like I did with last season and it's her absence. One of the reasons why Outlander works so well is they have multiple producer/writers with a diversity of ideas on how to shape the show. I hate that Sarah is running this show into the ground because I'd hate to see networks be skittish about giving an out lesbian a chance to get a show off the ground based on what's happened with UnREAL. I may be reaching with what I just said. Only time will tell.

(edited)

The cast has said they don't read reviews or things people post online. I don't totally buy that. They have to know if people say sophomore slump or things like that. You would think they would take the criticsim and Work even harder. I hope SGS reads stuff and gets back to making this show great again. 

Here's an interview Shiri and Constance did with Huffington Post Live. It's 20 minutes. I love them. They are so funny. They want to do UnREAL till they are 80. Money, Dick, Power, Depends. LOL Unless I miss heard Constance she likes season 1 better then season 2. She wants Quinn and Rachel on the same team. 

https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostEntertainment/videos/10154284454307363/?permPage=1&ncid=tweetlnkushpsn00000001

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Thank you.  Loved that interview!  It was fun to see them out of character, especially Constance.  She is the polar opposite of Quinn.  

You're welcome. I loved that interview as well. Last night I witnessed first hand just how different Constance and Shiri are from there characters. They were so down to earth, funny and so nice. 

I just saw the tweet from Emily Nussbaum (Pulitzer winning tv critic for The New Yorker, highly respected) where she admits she's not feeling season 2 so far - that's the highest-level critical confirmation I've seen of what a lot of us have been saying lately. (She thinks the structure feels off, doesn't like all the switching up of who's in charge, thinks Darius is weakly characterized, and that the contestants are cartoons.)

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I just saw the tweet from Emily Nussbaum (Pulitzer winning tv critic for The New Yorker, highly respected) where she admits she's not feeling season 2 so far - that's the highest-level critical confirmation I've seen of what a lot of us have been saying lately. (She thinks the structure feels off, doesn't like all the switching up of who's in charge, thinks Darius is weakly characterized, and that the contestants are cartoons.)

Wow. Not shocked to hear that at all. Sadly I agree. I hope SGS reads that tweet and comes back strong in season 3. 

In a Huffington Post interview Shiri & Constance said they dont like seeing Quinn & Rachel apart. They like them on the same team. 

Edited by earlbny

Wishing I hadn't read that Cosmopolitan article. I'm not caring for this season much as it is, and dislike SGS more every time I read something new about her. There was a YouTube video where she was answering fan questions that made me realize she wouldn't be someone I would want to hang out with, and each new article confirms it. Including the one that broke down her story and detailed the facts that didn't quite match up. 

• Love 6