Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Constance Zimmer won the Critics Choice award for best supporting actress in a drama series.  I am very happy for her.  It was well deserved.

Shiri Appleby was nominated in the lead category, and in my opinion should have won.   Her performances were incredibly layered and nuanced, and fascinating to watch.   At least she got some recognition though, and by people who really know television and film.

• Love 1

Obsessed with this show! I can't wait for season two. Big fan of Shiri Appleby. I watch the Bachelor every season and this was such an interesting/dark way of looking at it. I also read a book called Lipo Queen that was a story about what it's like behind the scenes of a reality tv show and how things are manipulated. You assume not everything is real on these reality shows, but it's horrible to think it gets THAT bad behind the scenes! 

• Love 1

Discuss media mentions, ratings, and previews here!

Oh my goodness. You're right GreenEggsandPam!

The book LIPOQUEEN is EXACTLY like Unreal Season 1!!! Same names, same characters, same storylines, just set differently! So cool. So funny!Cant wait for Season 2!

(edited)

I soooooooooo look forward to season two!  I fucking loved this show, even the jumper!  The actress sucked so fine with me!  Good casting.  

Hard to find the book Lipoqueen or Lipo Queen.  Amazon doesn't have it and a google search brings up liposuction sites.  Maybe it will become mainstream at some point.  I have no need to read it since it mimics season one.  

Edited by wings707

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/ioan-gruffudd-unreal-season-2-cast-lifetime-1201752718/

Yay!  I really like Ioan Gruffudd, I'm excited to see him join the cast.

I hope he doesn't play an asshole. Then again, he might be really good at it. 

This makes me feel a little better about "Forever" being canceled. I loved that show. 

And I'm very happy to see a black suitor, but I don't consider BJ Britt "drop dead gorgeous--based on pictures, anyway. He's cute, but he kinda looks like the love child of NFL receiver Terrell Owens and Brandy's brother Ray J (of Kardashian sex-tape fame).

Let's go, season 2!

Edited by topanga
(edited)

A couple of events are coming up with the creators and cast of "UnReal" if you're in NY and interested in attending:

2016 Vulture Festival

SUNDAY, MAY 22

2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.: UnREAL: AFTER THE FINAL NECKLACE

Vulture editor Gazelle Emami in conversation with Lifetime’s UnREALco-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, cast members Shiri Appleby, Constance Zimmer, B.J. Britt, Craig Bierko, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, Josh Kelly, and executive producerCarol Barbee. Milk Studios (450 West 15th Street). Tickets $30 (includes an hour in the Vulture Lounge with complimentary drinks following the event).

An Evening with Unreal: Paley Center for Media

Monday, May 23, 2016

7:00 pm ET

New York

IN PERSON

Shiri Appleby, Constance Zimmer, Craig Bierko, B.J. Britt, Josh Kelly, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, Carol Barbee.

They will also be at the ATX Television Festival in June, full details not announced yet.

Also UnReal received a Peabody Award:

75th Annual Entertainment & Children’s Programming Winners

Congrats to them! Ceremony Details.

Awards presentation on the evening of Saturday, May 21, 2016. Keegan-Michael Key will be the host. The awards will be taped for a television special to air on the cable channel Pivot on June 6, 2016 at 8:00pm ET/PT.

Not sure if any of the cast will be attending.

Edited by basically
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but Constance Zimmer won the Critics Choice award for best supporting actress in a drama series. I am very happy for her. It was well deserved.

Shiri Appleby was nominated in the lead category, and in my opinion should have won. Her performances were incredibly layered and nuanced, and fascinating to watch. At least she got some recognition though, and by people who really know television and film.

I loved Constance Zimmers reaction when she won! She was so floored and teared up quite a bit in her speech - a surprise win but so well deserved.

I agree about Shiri - wish she could have won as well, especially since Carrie C*** who did win is more of a supporting actress in The Leftovers But - I was just honestly thrilled Shiri was nominated in the first place. This role has sort of reinvented her as an actress in the industry and she's gotten a lot more acclaim for it than anything else in her career so far which is awesome. She'll have another shot!

Edited by basically
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

Interesting that the female contestants are nonentities.

They don't want to spoil anything.  Several of the women will have larger parts, the winner, F2, the trouble maker, etc.  Most of the bachettes will be eliminated in the first few episodes and will be quickly forgotten or not even noticed at all.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

But according to the article, it says that Freddie Stroma won't return to make a guest appearance as Adam for season 2 of "UnREAL"! And "UnREAL" co-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro said in that EW interview a few months ago that Adam was going to appear in season 2! :-(

Edited by Chris Burgess
(edited)

My guess is it was up in the air when he was still just doing Pilot season but with his show officially picked up by ABC, yeah I'd say it's doubtful we're seeing Adam again. But hey, Cameron Monaghan did Gotham and Shameless at the same time so you never know. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

My guess it was up in the air when he was still just doing Pilot season but with his show officially picked up by ABC, yeah I'd say it's doubtful we're seeing Adam again. But hey, Cameron Monaghan did Gotham and Shameless at the same time so you never know. 

It was never a plan to bring Adam back. He left for England and offered Rachael a life of wealth and travel, she refused.  Done.  

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Okay, yes we all saw that, but the poster above just stated that the co-creator hinted at his possibly coming back so I was merely suggesting why that might have been. 

I missed that post.  After the show wrapped there was a lot of buzz on SM about him coming back and production ducked all inquiries by being evasive.  I took that to mean, they wanted all buzz about the show to keep going.   Along with this there were rumors that Freddie Stroma had committed to do another show, which proved to be true. 

As far as him having time to pop in for a role in one episode, I can believe that.  He will not be a key character is what I see.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I missed that post.  After the show wrapped there was a lot of buzz on SM about him coming back and production ducked all inquiries by being evasive.  I took that to mean, they wanted all buzz about the show to keep going.   Along with this there were rumors that Freddie Stroma had committed to do another show, which proved to be true. 

As far as him having time to pop in for a role in one episode, I can believe that.  He will not be a key character is what I see.

According to that article about their engagement, it said that Freddie and Johanna got engaged in Vancouver (where "UnREAL" is flimed at), and there were pics of them on social media of them on and off the set of "UnREAL" with theirformer costars! These are one of the pics of them in Canada with their former "UnREAL" costar Josh Kelly (see below)! I asked Johanna on facebook if Freddie was there to film a guest appearance as Adam for season two of the show, and she said they were only there on vacation, and then I asked her if that meant that Freddie wasn't there to film aguest appearance as Adam, and then she blocked me on facebook (I wasn't really friends with her on facebook, I just saw her pics on Josh Kelly's [who plays Jeremy on "UnREAL"] facebook account).

12036471_10103726197137931_4643954921163830813_n.jpg

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/unreal-costars-johanna-braddy-and-freddie-stroma-are-engaged-w206789

"Up next, the pair will continue working on ABC shows. (The actors won't be returning to UnREAL.) Braddy currently stars as Shelby Wyatt on the FBI drama Quantico, which was recently renewed for a second season. TheHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince hunk, meanwhile, just landed a new role in the Kevin Williamson–created show Time After Time. He will also appear on this season of Game of Thrones as Dickon Tarly."

18 minutes ago, wings707 said:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/unreal-costars-johanna-braddy-and-freddie-stroma-are-engaged-w206789

"Up next, the pair will continue working on ABC shows. (The actors won't be returning to UnREAL.) Braddy currently stars as Shelby Wyatt on the FBI drama Quantico, which was recently renewed for a second season. TheHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince hunk, meanwhile, just landed a new role in the Kevin Williamson–created show Time After Time. He will also appear on this season of Game of Thrones as Dickon Tarly."

Did SGS really lied to us then about Freddie making a guest appearance in season 2 of "UnREAL"? WTF?!?!?!

(edited)

Shiri Appleby will be a guest on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert Monday, May 23rd. She will also be on New York Live on WNBC in New York at 12:30pm ET.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/networks-that-have-the-most-to-gain-at-the-emmys.html

Lifetime

The network that once sold itself as Television for Women is hardly new to scripted originals, and it’s also not a complete Emmy virgin: Over the years, a few of its TV movies — the ones that veered from camp and cheese — have gotten attention from TV Academy voters, as has Project Runway on the unscripted side. But with reality show–inspired drama UnREAL, Lifetime might finally have a chance to get on the board with a scripted series nomination. The network has been pushing hard to get attention, months ago sending critics a binge-watching kit filled with snacks and every episode of season one. And next month, it’ll hold a For Your Consideration event on a yacht, duplicating one of the group dates seen on the Bachelor–inspired show.

How much Emmy matters: Somewhat. There’s no indication Lifetime execs suddenly have any aspirations of becoming a female-focused FX or AMC. But what the network does need is a new, younger-skewing scripted hit. UnREAL was hardly a Nielsen juggernaut in season one. Lifetime’s Emmy campaign is as much about driving up attention for the show as it is winning an award or establishing a new standard for Lifetime series.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, romantic idiot said:

I thought she just said that they hadn't ruled out Freddie's coming back - not that he would.

She said that there was really good chance that Freddie would come back as Adam for season 2, but she turned out to be a lying bitch on that promise!

• Love 1
(edited)

A good chance is no promise and I don't know why anyone would think it was anything more than a way to fob people off. Or maybe I just learnt from years of Ryan Murphy prevaricating about Jesse.

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chris Burgess said:

Shiri Appleby was on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" last night promoting season 2 of "UnREAL"!:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCrZfH0Yh8

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXfaxA36qx8

Thanks for the links. That was great. 

I watched the "Quickie Catch Up" show last night, which gave a great recap of Season 1. But half of the 30 minute show was a preview of Season 2, which looks really good. I can't wait for the season to start. But why hasn't Madison updated her hairstyle? The ponytails seem a little gimmicky at this point. Everyone knows she's not the naive ingenue she pretended to be last season.

(edited)

Thanks for the links. I wish that interview was longer but I understand. Still great. The new season looks really good. I am not sure I am feeling BJ just yet. I have to give him some time. I felt no chemistry with him during some of the cast Iterviews. He seems very quite in real life. I happen to like Maddison's hair.  Rachel looks so hot this season. Not that she didn't last year. I never bought into the whole she does not shower and wears the same clothes every day. It could also be that I am a hippie at heart. LOL  I can't believe Shiri's 37. She looks so much younger then her actual age. Then again I am a total sucker for Shiri Appleby. I am starting to get tired of Quinnns one liners and catch phraes. Some of them are funny and classic but after a while it becomes excessive and a little to much. Rachel and Chet are probably my 2 favorite characters. I hope Maddison gets a bigger role this season. I liked her as well.

Heres a link with some juicy gossip. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/16095-lifetime-s-unreal-season-2-is-even-bleaker-moves-farther-away-from-the-male-gaze

Edited by earlbny
On 5/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, Almost 3000 said:

Interesting because I thought season 2 was going to be the wedding spin-off of season 1 bachelor and the set-up fiancée.  I wonder if we'll get that story.

But Adam and Anna didn't get married, remember? Rachel made sure Anna found out that the wedding was a sham. And Anna gave production the great scene on camera that they wanted--a beautiful shot of her walking up a giant staircase, in her wedding gown, saying basically that she was walking, because Adam was a shit.

God I love this show. I can't wait!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But Adam and Anna didn't get married, remember? Rachel made sure Anna found out that the wedding was a sham. And Anna gave production the great scene on camera that they wanted--a beautiful shot of her walking up a giant staircase, in her wedding gown, saying basically that she was walking, because Adam was a shit.

God I love this show. I can't wait!!

That's right! thx. I just somehow got it into my head that with all the plotting to get a wedding that was to be season 2.