Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

(edited)
8 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

@earlbny consider it a tribute to your fan-dom that my first thought when I read this was, I wonder what earlbny will think of this:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/unreal-will-reportedly-end-with-season-4-on-hulu.html

Thanks for posting that and thinking of me. I was just about to post it myself. I have yet to read it. Once I do I will comment on it.

ETA: I just read the article. I like the move. It can’t hurt. How much worse can it get? Plus binge watching is all the rage right now. And I hate waiting. One of the problems I’ve noticed is with the promotion. I’ve read a handful of comments from people that say they had no idea the show was still on the air.

What will it’s legecy be? When all is said and done it will probably be remembered for one great season and 2 or 3 bad or Ok ones. Plus the real BTS drama between Sarah and Marti. Say what you want but being on Lifetime definitely hurt the show. Even bad shows on bigger networks do better ratings. The. Again they also get cancelled quicker if they have bad ratings. After season 4 what is left in the story for them to tell? Will Lifetime just totally give up on the show and let Hulu take over or will it be a joint venture? Whatever happens as long as Shiri is still on the show I’ll tune in to find out. This will go down as the longest running TV show Shiri has been apart of. Prior to UnREAL Shiri’s record was three seasons of Roswell. She also got to direct a bit more and a production deal out of UnREAL. So that’s where her focus will probably turn once the show comes to an end. 

On a sidenote Marti Noxon has two shows about women’s pain and rage debuting this summer. When I read the news it made me LOL

Edited by earlbny

Thanks to Sandra for the info. It looks like the new season will premiere this summer at least in New Zealand.

UnREAL (Lightbox, July 17)

Less than two months after the season three finale, this razor-sharp reality show-set black comedy returns. 
Once again, young producer Rachel Goldberg (Shiri Appleby) is forced to come up with increasingly bizarre ideas to keep her job at Bachelor-style show Everlasting. Apparently, this time around, events have been "inspired" by the sexual misconduct allegations that haunted a recent Bachelor In Paradise season in the US.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/104973894/julys-mustsee-tv

• Love 2
(edited)

Rather then pull the BAND-AID off slowly they just ripped if off. They said F**k it I am out. Despite all my negative comments about the show I enjoyed it. I finally came to grips that it was a silly over the top nighttime soap on Lifetime and was not an Emmy winning masterpiece. I will also admit that I watched the show for Shiri. If she was not on the show then I would not have watched. The long break and bare minimum promotion  did not help. (I bet you all had no idea the cast was on Acess Hollywood Live right now?) Neither did being on Lifetime. Whatever happened to this show changing the Lifetime tagline? I want a tell all to come out with the cast and creators. I want to know all the dirty laundry. What went wrong BTS? What do they wish they could do over or change or delete from the show. I have yet to watch season 4 (I don't have Hulu yet) however I did read a spoiler article with Shiri.

Spoiler alert. Read it at your own risk. http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/16/shiri-appleby-unreal-series-finale-postmortem-season-4/

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

Another thing I find interesting about the handling of this show is that it's been wrapped for quite a while - I think they filmed seasons 3 and 4 back to back. Has there been word of Sarah Gertrude Shapiro lining anything else up? Although to be fair I haven't heard of the leads committing to anything else either, tho maybe until this announcement they were still contractually obligated to UnReal. They definitely deserve to do bigger, better things.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Another thing I find interesting about the handling of this show is that it's been wrapped for quite a while - I think they filmed seasons 3 and 4 back to back. Has there been word of Sarah Gertrude Shapiro lining anything else up? Although to be fair I haven't heard of the leads committing to anything else either, tho maybe until this announcement they were still contractually obligated to UnReal. They definitely deserve to do bigger, better things.

You are correct. They filmed season 3 and 4 back to back. They were in shock that it got picked up for a 4th season. The Hulu pick up was a also a surprise to the cast. Not sure about SGS or Stacy.After leaving UnREAL Marti is busy as hell. Constance is doing the final season of House of Cards minus Kevin Spacey. Shiri said shes waiting for the right role that films in LA so she can stay close to home.  I just read that Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman landed a role in American Horror Story. Genevieve Buechner auditioned for something recently but not sure what it was or if she got the role. I know nothing about anyone else. A couple people from previous seasons landed roles on something else and everyone else is MIA.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

In April 2017, Shapiro signed a multiyear deal with A&E Studios (which produces UnREAL) to develop and produce new shows, which I found weird, because after season 2, I would've assumed both parties would've wanted to move on from each other.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, earlbny said:

You are correct. They filmed season 3 and 4 back to back. They were in shock that it got picked up for a 4th season. The Hulu pick up was a also a surprise to the cast. Not sure about SGS or Stacy.After leaving UnREAL Marti is busy as hell. Constance is doing the final season of House of Cards minus Kevin Spacey. Shiri said shes waiting for the right role that films in LA so she can stay close to home.  I just read that Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman landed a role in American Horror Story. Genevieve Buechner auditioned for something recently but not sure what it was or if she got the role. I know nothing about anyone else. A couple people from previous seasons landed roles on something else and everyone else is MIA.

Glad to know Constance will be back on HoC! And yeah, perversely, I guess I am fishing for some indication that Sarah is less employable that Marti (whose Sharp Objects I am definitely enjoying) I don't know why I care, except that I feel like the promise of UnReal was somewhat squandered post season 1.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Glad to know Constance will be back on HoC! And yeah, perversely, I guess I am fishing for some indication that Sarah is less employable that Marti (whose Sharp Objects I am definitely enjoying) I don't know why I care, except that I feel like the promise of UnReal was somewhat squandered post season 1.

Me too. What has Sarah done to have people knocking down her door. The best season of UnREAL critically speaking was Season 1 and that was the only season Marti worked on.  I posted the following info back in may.

On a sidenote Marti Noxon has two shows about women’s pain and rage debuting this summer. When I read the news it made me LOL

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

The networks/studios usually have cast options, meaning they're still under contract for a certain amount of time. But maybe they already went into the season, knowing that it might be the end, who knows.

Shapiro has a deal with the studio who produces the show, I think.

I mean, a Lifetime show was nominated for a writing EMMY. I think that changed the game for them. At the same time, they did not really capitalize on it with more new quality shows and Unreal then spiralled downwards in acclaim, so they are kinda back at square one.

I forgot that Shapiro got a deal with Lifetime/A&E. Shiri got one as well. Appletree pictures. They should have had other shows lined up and ready to go. Instead they kept airing all the other crap. It's a shame.

ETA:

UnREAL Final Season Sarah Gertrude Shapiro Interview Exclusive

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/unreal-final-season-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-interview-exclusive-1202873466/

Edited by earlbny
4 hours ago, earlbny said:

Rather then pull the BAND-AID off slowly they just ripped if off. They said F**k it I am out. Despite all my negative comments about the show I enjoyed it. I finally came to grips that it was a silly over the top nighttime soap on Lifetime and was not an Emmy winning masterpiece. I will also admit that I watched the show for Shiri. If she was not on the show then I would not have watched. The long break and bare minimum promotion  did not help. (I bet you all had no idea the cast was on Acess Hollywood Live right now?) Neither did being on Lifetime. Whatever happened to this show changing the Lifetime tagline? I want a tell all to come out with the cast and creators. I want to know all the dirty laundry. What went wrong BTS? What do they wish they could do over or change or delete from the show. I have yet to watch season 4 (I don't have Hulu yet) however I did read a spoiler article with Shiri.

Spoiler alert. Read it at your own risk. http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/16/shiri-appleby-unreal-series-finale-postmortem-season-4/

Thanks for that link. The spoilers don’t really make me want to see it actually play out. The show lost the plot for portraying provocative that is entertaining and provocative that is just sensationalistic and tone deaf. It’s such a shame, because there was talent and there was a great first season, but that’s about it. 

(edited)

I plan on watching season 4. I made it this far so it would be silly to quit now. Even though it was probably just a one hit season.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, chaifan said:

Is there any word on when Season 4 will air on Hulu?  They just put up Season 3. 

It’s available now.

8 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

AV Club review (warning SPOILERS!) https://tv.avclub.com/unreal-s-final-season-falls-to-new-depths-of-depravity-1827672696. I don't get Hulu and I'm not in the least interested in watching Season 4! Jeesh, how far can you fall?

Thanks for posting that link. I don’t get Hulu either. However they offer a free month subscription. I happened to find S4 else where. 

ETA: Reality Steve Podcast with special guest Shiri Appleby

http://realitysteve.com/2018/07/19/the-bachelorette-becca-podcast-87-interview-with-unreals-shiri-appleby/

I have to give mad props to Shiri for coming out and admitting some things about UnREAL. Two of the things she said are exactly how I feel. 

Season two suffered because Marti left.

Shiri did not like the rape storyline.

I guess now that the show is officially canceled she can say those things. I doubt she would say that if they were planning on making another season.

Edited by earlbny
On 7/19/2018 at 6:37 PM, earlbny said:

I have to give mad props to Shiri for coming out and admitting some things about UnREAL. Two of the things she said are exactly how I feel. 

Season two suffered because Marti left.

Shiri did not like the rape storyline.

I guess now that the show is officially canceled she can say those things. I doubt she would say that if they were planning on making another season.

My guess is that if you had a drink with either one of them and they were being real (as opposed to UnReal) her and CZ would both say they are glad this show is behind them!

• Love 2
On 7/25/2018 at 3:40 AM, nosleepforme said:

I think the cast needs to look up the definition to the word "legacy".  This show has no legacy.  It started out as a great, novel premise, had a great first season, then tanked from there.  Yes, there were good moments along the way, but there is no "legacy" here.  Constance & Shiri talked about the show showing powerful women who could still be friends.  I'm sorry, but the Rachel/Quinn "friendship" is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  That last moment of friendship & support brought down a (somewhat) innocent guy.  Legacy.  right.

• Love 8
On 7/25/2018 at 1:05 PM, BingeyKohan said:

My guess is that if you had a drink with either one of them and they were being real (as opposed to UnReal) her and CZ would both say they are glad this show is behind them!

ITA. Now that the show is over and behind them they can give a more honest opinion. I can’t wait to see what they both do next and what they will say about this show down the road.

On 8/1/2018 at 4:52 AM, nosleepforme said:

Eh, I think they loved being on the show all the way. For all of the show's flaws, Rachel and Quinn were fantastic characters to play, and particularly Shiri never got to play a character like this before. May they have some criticism about the later seasons of the show? Probably. But I think overall they're happy with their experience, they were allowed to play two very messed up complicated women and there able o direct episodes of television which they both take an interest in. This show certainly beats playing the cutesy girlfriend of a male protagonist and similar roles.

Well said. ITA with what you said. I don't think they disliked their time on the show. It was just nice to hear Shiri give an honest opinion. Not the company line. Hopefully this show will help shiri land another job that makes her a household name, finally wins her an Emmy or lets her play something completely different. I read something from an actress who's not on UnREAL that said her show she's on is letting her direct as well. It must be a new trend and not just a Lifetime thing. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

And yeah, perversely, I guess I am fishing for some indication that Sarah is less employable that Marti (whose Sharp Objects I am definitely enjoying) I don't know why I care, except that I feel like the promise of UnReal was somewhat squandered post season 1.

Me too. What has Sarah done to have people knocking down her door. The best season of UnREAL critically speaking was Season 1 and that was the only season Marti worked on.

I have no idea who is responsible for what part of the show. And of course there are other writers and editing, directing, etc. plays some factor. I vaguely remember some good stuff from season 1 but in general, I am not here for the lazy feminism of seasons 3 and 4. So that person can go. The person who was responsible for all the humor from the side characters can stay. The person who made season 4 so compulsively watchable can stay. The person responsible for the season 1 romance can go pursue that. Everyone else who has tried to write romance since then needs to choose a different genre. At best there's been some cute banter or the actors have carried it. People need to know what their strengths are. 

• Love 2