Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

The cast is very active on social media. They live tweet and periscope during each episode. ITA that Lifetime has a steeper hill to climb. I wonder how different the show would be if it was on another network. Would the ratings be better or worse? Would the content be darker? ABC vs HBO vs Netflix vs Lifetime vs any other network?

• Love 1

I actually don't find the situations between AMC and Lifetime all that analogous, as AMC never carried the same sort of baggage that Lifetime has and therefore didn't have such a steep hill to climb.  It's a lot easier to transition from a channel that's associated with broadcasting old classics, because it means the public didn't have established opinions on what AMC original content would be like.

Maybe. I actually think it was harder with AMC because people knew of Lifetime whereas AMC was almost obsolete.  TCM had stolen (back) all of their classic movies.  Lifetime's movies had a certain reputation but they weren't strangers to well received dramas.  If people can remember far enough back that AMC stood for American Movie Classics, then they can remember that Lifetime had Any Day Now, Army Wives and Strong Medicine.  They may not be Emmy winning series but they also weren't ridiculed in the way that Lifetime movies were.

If somehow UnREAL was to get nominated for an Emmy or a Golden Globe award people would then check it out for sure.

Eh, I've stanned for shows that were lowly-rated both before and after awards attention.

• Love 1

Lots of details. They talked all about the show. The main cast and the creators were on stage some of the other cast were in the audience. Craig is really funny. Shiri is really beautiful. A total knockout. Jeremy is boring. They did not spoil a thing about the finale. They talked a little bit about season 2. the live stream will be archived for us to watch again. The Paley Center has lots of tweets from the event.

• Love 2

From TVLine Ask Ausiello:

Question: Any scoop on if UnREAL creators Marti Noxon and Sarah Gertrude Shapiro can change their minds and bring Freddie Stroma back for Season 2 as Adam? I prefer him with Rachel, rather than Jeremy! —Chris

Ausiello: Actually, they never said he wasn’t coming back. Allow Shapiro to give you the lowdown on what was essentially a huge misunderstanding: “Freddie didn’t know that we were considering bringing him back for Season 2, so he answered in interviews that he wasn’t coming back because we haven’t officially picked up his contract. But I actually called him [and said], ‘Hey, do you mind just leaving it open, because we actually are sort of talking about it. If you’re open to it, we’d like to talk about it.’ So the door’s definitely open for Adam to make an appearance again.” Phew, glad that’s cleared up.

• Love 2

http://www.eonline.com/news/682862/whoa-unreal-boss-dishes-on-that-jaw-dropping-dark-season-finale

Hah. You know your character is dull when articles forget their name and use the actor's when talking about the show. In this case, Josh bring used in place of Jeremy.

So apparently it wasn't our imagination when Rachel looked at Quinn at the end like she wanted to kill her. Wow.

"But let's talk about those final moments between Quinn and Rachel in the finale, because we're pretty sure that finding out Quinn ruined her future with Adam made Rachel downright...murderous. Is she really thinking of killing Quinn next season?!"

I read on other websites that people were thinking Rachel recorded her murder confession at the end. I also heard people think Rachel was pregnant because she had her hand on her stomach.

Here's a review with a poll asking us if were Team Adam, Team Jeremy or Honestly, Team Quinn & Rachel? no surprise but Adam is in the lead with 62% then followed by Quinn and Rachel at 23% and Jeremy at 14%.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/03/unreal-finale-recap-rachel-adam-wedding/

Edited by earlbny

I read on other websites that people were thinking Rachel recorded her murder confession at the end. I also heard people think Rachel was pregnant because she had her hand on her stomach.

The hand on stomach thing is down to Shiri's acting style when she's laying down. She does it nearly every time. There are probably 10-12 scenes from Roswell, and more from LUX where she puts her hand over her stomach when she's lying down. I doubt she's pregnant. It's not that kind of show, imo.

It'd be funny though if she recorded Quinn confessing - but since Quinn didn't actually murder anyone - eh... Shia is largely responsible for that, with Rachel carrying maybe 10% of the blame.

The hand on stomach thing is down to Shiri's acting style when she's laying down. She does it nearly every time. There are probably 10-12 scenes from Roswell, and more from LUX where she puts her hand over her stomach when she's lying down. I doubt she's pregnant. It's not that kind of show, imo.

It'd be funny though if she recorded Quinn confessing - but since Quinn didn't actually murder anyone - eh... Shia is largely responsible for that, with Rachel carrying maybe 10% of the blame.

The finale also featured some of the beast crying form Shiri since Roswell. Now I have to go back and re watch Roswell and Lux. As a Shiri fan I thought I knew all of her mannerisms. I doubt she's pregnant either.

• Love 1

The finale did a .30. That's better than last week but not great considering of the competition from After the Rose that probably depressed things. Also, it's not doing that well on delayed viewing.

At this point, I think we just have to accept it's a niche show.

I started watching UnReal because it was recommended on the Married at First sight forum. I had heard about Season one of MAFS so I watched season 2 and immediately thought it was crazy, the matches were terrible, so I checked the forum and found I wasn't alone. And somebody said "everybody should watch Unreal."

After watching Unreal, I understood why the MAFS "experts" matched (1) an extrovert with a recluse who lived like a spider in his mom's basement when he wasn't having sex with every woman he could find (2) a shit-stirrer with a volatile abuser, and (3) a diva with abandonment issues, with a gay guy who responds to stress by running away.

It was for maximum fireworks. And when two of the women proved to be too dignified to follow the script ( wifey 1 would not reveal her husband's infidelity on camera, wifey 3 would not out her gay husband on camera) the producers made it look like it was the wives' fault the marriages didn't work. The only couple they were nice to was couple 2, the shit-stirrer and the volatile abuser, because they made for "good TV. ". Lots of fireworks.

So I tuned into UnReal and the mess on Married At First Sight made sense.

• Love 1

From Variety:

The Creative Arts Emmys will be held Sept. 12 at the Microsoft Theater. A two-hour version of the awards show will air at 8 p.m. Sept. 19 on FXX. Fox will broadcast the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards live on Sept. 20......

“Project Runway’s” Heidi Klum and “UnReal” stars Shiri Appleby and Constance Zimmer are among the final list of talent who will be presenting during the ceremony.

Edited by basically
  • Love 1

I like the Walter White comparison. Walt started out convincing himself that meth was an easy way to make money. He made a better recipe, then he kept thinking of ways to make more money and danger became incidental. He thought he was the good guy dealing with criminals up until the end, when he realized he was the most successful criminal in the game. 

Rachel is the best at her job, maybe even better than Quinn. I suspect that if Rachel continues on the Walter path, she will eventually beat Quinn at her own game, kind of like Walt did with Gus.

• Love 3

I like the Walter White comparison. Walt started out convincing himself that meth was an easy way to make money. He made a better recipe, then he kept thinking of ways to make more money and danger became incidental. He thought he was the good guy dealing with criminals up until the end, when he realized he was the most successful criminal in the game. 

Rachel is the best at her job, maybe even better than Quinn. I suspect that if Rachel continues on the Walter path, she will eventually beat Quinn at her own game, kind of like Walt did with Gus.

I agree on many levels. Rachel is almost as good as Quinn at manipulating people, and I think she'll eventually become better at it because she's more personable than Quinn. Rachel gets people to do what she wants because she meets them on their level and develops a connection with them. Quinn intimidates more than anything else. But Rachel is more self-destructive than Quinn. Publicly, at least. Quinn had her own mess with the producer (Chet?), but she kept it under wraps, for the most stuff. Rachel's shit is always just out there for everyone to see. 

• Love 1

UnReal was nominated for Breakthrough Series by the Gotham Awards, which will be held on November 30th in NYC.

Gotham Awards to introduce categories honoring 'serialized content' -- a.k.a. TV

Nominations for a few other Awards groups are pretty soon as well - I know the Golden Globes & Critics Choice awards are going to be announced early December and I believe UnReal is eligible for both. Does anyone think UnReal or its stars have a shot at getting some awards recognition? Nominations at least?

Edited by basically
  • Love 1

Golden globes is usually more open to new series and Critics Choice Named Unreal as one of their Most Exciting New Series at the last award ceremony so they might have a real chance there. I'm no expert but I would love to see The show get a few nominations at the very least! I think Constance Zimmer may have a better chance at an acting nomination in a supporting category.

• Love 1

Golden globes is usually more open to new series and Critics Choice Named Unreal as one of their Most Exciting New Series at the last award ceremony so they might have a real chance there. I'm no expert but I would love to see The show get a few nominations at the very least! I think Constance Zimmer may have a better chance at an acting nomination in a supporting category.

I see this show as having 3 leads, Shiri, Constance, and Craig.    Sometimes guest stars get awards and if this happens Breeda Wool will take it.   Nominations for all and a couple of awards, please!   

When is this show going to air again?  Loved it. 

I see this show as having 3 leads, Shiri, Constance, and Craig.    Sometimes guest stars get awards and if this happens Breeda Wool will take it.   Nominations for all and a couple of awards, please!   

When is this show going to air again?  Loved it. 

Craig has a large role, but to me Shiri and Constance are the leads and Craig is supporting.  I would love to see some nominations for this show.

• Love 1

UnReal got nominated for 3 Critics Choice Awards! best drama series, best actress drama Shiri appleby, best supporting actress drama Constance Zimmer! Congrats to them all they derserve it! So happy to see the show being recognized!

• Love 2