Type keyword(s) to search

UnREAL in the Media: News, Ratings, and Previews

(edited)

Episode 8 is called "Two" and here's the promo for anyone who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98KWLwE0mJs

I'm not spoiled for this show -- I don't even know if there are spoilers for this show -- so this is pure speculation. This promo suggests to me

that Rachel will sleep with Adam to "deliver him" to Chet. Maybe the sex is just part of her plan to get him on side, or maybe it's an explicit trade off between them. But basically, she whores herself out in order to get her own show. And then Chet being Chet, he doesn't keep his word, Rachel doesn't get to run the new show, she's still working for Quinn.

Adam has already whored himself out, the show is obviously every bit that dark, and I get the sense that UnReal would happily put a fucked-up spin on its One True Pairing.

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tags
  • Love 4

Shiri Appleby just tweeted that she will be a guest on James Corden tonight and will also be chatting with Jim Gaffigan. I'm not sure what time it airs, I've never seen his program but maybe someone else does?

RATINGS: LIFETIME’S “UNREAL” DECLINES FOR SUICIDE FALLOUT

Monday’s edition of “UnREAL,” which chronicled the fallout of Mary’s suicide, suffered week-over-week losses in adults 18-49 and total viewership.

Airing out of a slightly improved “Devious Maids,” Monday’s “UnREAL” posted a 0.27 adults 18-49 rating with 713,000 viewers. Last week’s episode, which built to Mary’s death scene, posted a 0.32 rating with 739,000 viewers.

I hope it's improving on all of the other platforms, as the live airings are not doing very good.

• Love 1

Well, I'm actually not that worried about the live ratings. At this point, the live number probably is what it is. Hopefully, there will be an uptick for the finale, but I think expecting anything massive this season is unrealistic. Hopefully, people catch up between now and season 2.

• Love 1
(edited)

Shiri Appleby just tweeted that she will be a guest on James Corden tonight and will also be chatting with Jim Gaffigan. I'm not sure what time it airs, I've never seen his program but maybe someone else does?

Thanks for the info and heads up. I just set my DVR. It's about time Shiri did a late night talk show appearance. I've been pushing for this since they premiered the show back at SXSW.

I used to be obsessed over the ratings. Now that it got renewed I am not that obsessed. I am not surprised the ratings are low.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)

It airs in the old Craig Ferguson slot which was right after Letterman's show.  Usually that's 12:35 Eastern but it may vary in your area. Right now CBS has replaced Letterman with reruns of some of their procedurals (NCIS, Hawaii 5-0) and Corden follows them. 

As for the ratings, the thing I love about cable is once a show's season is greenlit, we'll get the season.  Ratings will matter more next season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Lifetime hopes people discover and binge it in the runup to the next season. 

ETA: Oops.  Corrected the time. I'm Central and incorrectly gave the time as Eastern.  I've changed it so it matches up with the correct EST start time.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
(edited)

I just had a couple of friends text me to say they took my advice and finally got around to watching UnREAL. One DVR'd it and the other watched it online. I think the positive reviews and word of mouth will help the show. Do they count live numbers only or does the online numbers factor into the ratings.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1
(edited)

Shiri Appleby is going to do an interview/Q&A tomorrow with Red Carpet Crash.

You can e-mail me questions if you want. Also going to be talking to Craig and Constance soon. samthemailman@redcarpetcrash.com

Red Carpet Crash ‏@redcarpetcrash 21h21 hours ago

On Thursday I am talking to @ShiriAppleby about @UnRealLifetime if anyone has questions. @UnREALFans

Here's the red carpet crash interview Shiri did.

Interview: 'Shiri Appleby' Talks UnREAL - RedCarpetCrash.com

Edited by earlbny

Thanks for that! I would love to see her do a comedy - she had a web series a few years back called "Dating Rules from my Future Self" and she was really funny. I hope she gets a chance and UnReal opens up some doors for her. All of the actors on the show are fantastic and most have been flying under the radar for some time now like Craig and Constance - I hope the show continues to be recognized, they deserve the good reviews and all that comes with.

Also it was cool to hear that Craig and Shiri have been friends for so long - I knew they worked together in the past but I didn't know they Stayed close.

(edited)

Your welcome. I am with you and would love to see her do more comedy. Despite always crying and being serious on TV she's actually really funny. She cracks me up and has me plotzing. I love Dating Rules. If that show was on TV it could have been a big hit like New Girl or The Mindy Project. Shiri got to produce Dating Rules and directed an episode or 2. You need to check out the movie When do We Eat? If you have not already seen it. It's about the worlds fastest Seder gone wrong. It's a comedy about a family celebrating Passover. Shiri plays the role of Nikki Stuckman She's the daughter and a professional sex surrogate. It was a funny movie and Shiri looked good in glasses and lingerie. Shiri would with Craig in the The Thirteenth Floor which came out in 99. Shiri had a small role in the movie. I feel like a few years ago Shiri was at a turning point in her career beginning to transition from in front of the camera to behind the camera. She called up her friend jenni konner and her her if she could shadow the director on Girls. She said said yes and Shiri flew to NY. One thing led to another and she was asked to play the role of Natalia on the show. That role was Shiri's 1st Nude scene. It got lot's of people talking. She got more press about that small role which lasted 4 episodes then her whole 2 seasons of Life Unexpected. I felt that her role on Girls changed peoples thinking about her and opened up the door which aloud her to land the role of Rachel on UnREAL. UnREAL is becoming Shiri's most talked about and promoted she she's ever done in her career. Shiri recently said she wants to do more darker roles. I am down with that. During her SXSW press tour for UnREAL she filmed a movie called Babylon. There is no IMDB entry for it yet. She has said in an interview to keep an eye out for it. I am not sure what it's about.

ETA: I listened to that phone interview Shiri did the other day. She mentioned that how she's been trying to break into comedy for 3 years and it's tough. She also mentioned how her role on girls opened up doors and showed people a different side of Shiri. It's an 18 and change long interview. I think it's worth listening to. You can listen to it at the Red carpet Crash link I posted above.

ETA:http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/unreal-is-what-a-feminist-looks-like?utm_term=.qpjgzWVl3#.yedN908ZGr

How will you make sure both next season and in the possible more distant future that it makes sense for Rachel to continue to work there?

SGS: It’s Rachel’s story, and it will always be Rachel’s story. I think we feel like the evolution of a young woman finding her way in the world is super ripe and has a ton of legs. To get inside somebody and go through the world with them has always been the aim of the show. We’re going to break next season around what Rachel’s going through, not what we want to see on a reality show. And we’re very happy to go on that journey with such a little freakball. Because she’s such a freakball.

Edited by earlbny

The cast and creators of UnREAL are going to do a panel at the Paley Center on July 30th; I believe if you sign up for newsletters you can also get info on livestreaming it.

Thanks for the info. Too bad I don't live in LA. You can buy tickets at the following links. It looks like if you go you get to see the season finale early. Someone may leak spoilers. How come the whole cast is not going to be at this event?

Sometimes people get added/removed to/from these events as they become available/unavailable.   It also could be a thing about only inviting the regular cast.

(edited)

Sometimes people get added/removed to/from these events as they become available/unavailable. It also could be a thing about only inviting the regular cast.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. However the rest of the cast is just as important. it gives me the impression that they dont care about the contestants. To be honest I only care about Shiri Appleby so I am happy. The rest of the cast should matter.

Edited by earlbny
(edited)

I just started watching this, and I have a partial theory as to why the ratings are bad.

The title is terrible.

It tells you nothing about the show. I'm fascinated by manipulation in reality TV and a huge fan of "behind-the-scenes of TV" shows -- I would've been all over this show earlier if I'd known what the heck it was about. I think a good title is underrated when it comes to attracting an audience. This is a common word, capitalized oddly, and it's not even a word that normally evokes a reaction ("Scandal"), an image/lifestyle ("Empire"), or is even a clear description of its subject matter ("Friends"). And it's not just a Lifetime thing -- I've never watched a second of "Devious Maids," but I sure as heck think I have an idea about its content.

I don't even think they could've saved themselves with "UnReality" because there are many different types of reality shows. I believe they needed a title to convey this was a behind-the-scenes skewering of a dating show, not just...a generic word. The only reason I even found out what this show was about is someone in another reality TV thread talked about it, with a one-sentence summary.

Bottom line: I'm guessing if the ratings are still bad, it's in large part due to the fact that its title did nothing to attract its target audience (people like me).

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2
(edited)

I just started watching this, and I have a partial theory as to why the ratings are bad.

The title is terrible.

It tells you nothing about the show. I'm fascinated by manipulation in reality TV and a huge fan of "behind-the-scenes of TV" shows -- I would've been all over this show earlier if I'd known what the heck it was about. I think a good title is underrated when it comes to attracting an audience. This is a common word, capitalized oddly, and it's not even a word that normally evokes a reaction ("Scandal"), an image/lifestyle ("Empire"), or is even a clear description of its subject matter ("Friends"). And it's not just a Lifetime thing -- I've never watched a second of "Devious Maids," but I sure as heck think I have an idea about its content.

I don't even think they could've saved themselves with "UnReality" because there are many different types of reality shows. I believe they needed a title to convey this was a behind-the-scenes skewering of a dating show, not just...a generic word. The only reason I even found out what this show was about is someone in another reality TV thread talked about it, with a one-sentence summary.

Bottom line: I'm guessing if the ratings are still bad, it's in large part due to the fact that its title did nothing to attract its target audience (people like me).

You bring up some really great points. I think it's a combo of the title and the network. I came to this show a little different then you. I am a fan of Shiri Appleby so when she signed on back in 13 I started tracking this show. Nobody I know ever says hey lets see what's on Lifetime tonight. Even though the network is trying to re brand I still think of it as Television for Woman. If it was on ABC, HBO or Netflix I bet more people would tune in. People watch those networks regardless of what's on TV. People that watch reality TV may know it's all fake however they want to pretend it real. They don't want to know all the BTS stuff. People that don't watch reality TV just don't care. If it was not for Shiri I would probly not be watching this show even though I think it's the best show of 2015 and Emmy worthy. Who's the target audience.

To be fair Lifetime really tried to promote the heck out of this show. They are still promoting this show. Shiri was just on the Talk and the Late Late show. They got every entertainment website/blog/Reality show website talking about it. Some were paid to talk about it and others just started talking about this show because it's really good TV. It's one of the most talked about shows of the summer. Maybe you missed the promos that seemed to air 24/7 on various networks. I saw a ton of them on ABC. The cast has been live tweeting and using Periscope every week. It's not for lack of trying.

They did a lot of press for this show. They were at SXSW. They were on various talk shows and done a lot of interviews. they even had the cast host present/host award shows/events. They could have always done more but it was not for lack of trying. Every review so far has been super positive. This is one of the most promoted and talked about shows Shiri has ever been apart of. The summer is not an easy time for TV watching. Plus Most people got hooked on binge watching. It's all the rage right now. The live numbers have not been great but the other numbers have. Regardless it got picked up for season 2.

Titles can make or break a show. Shiri was on a show called Life Unexpected. It's a was a family show on the CW. Before it premiered it had a different title. I believe it had 3 different titles. From Wiki: The CW announced the series in January 2009 under the working title of Light Years because the main character Lux's name means Light. According to Liz Tigelaar, the title "tested way too sci-fi" and it was changed to LUX (the name of one of the lead characters) in April. This was quickly changed again into Life Unexpected, but at The CW Upfronts in May, the series was promoted as Parental Discretion Advised. That June, the network reverted to the name Life UneXpected, again highlighting the name of the main character in capital letters. Initial advertising for the series in fall 2009 listed it without the capitalized "X", which became the final version as it appears now. With UnREAL it's hard to figure out what the show is about at 1st just by looking at the name. Once you read the premise of the show it begins to make more sense. However the spelling is not easy to remember. The shows you mentioned all have simple names that tell you everything about the show in the title. 

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 2

RATINGS: LIFETIME’S “UNREAL” GAINS VIEWERS

Despite receiving weakened "Devious Maids" lead-in support, Lifetime's "UnREAL" holds in the demo and rises in viewership.

Monday’s edition of “UnREAL,” which matched the previous week’s adults 18-49 rating, enjoyed a slight week-over-week uptick in total viewership.

The episode, which was the eighth of the inaugural season, garnered a 0.27 adults 18-49 rating with 731,000 total viewers. The previous installment, which posted the same 0.27 rating, reached a slightly smaller audience of 713,000.

• Love 2

I've always assumed the network is the reason the ratings are so bad. I can't tell you how many people (most of them women!) I've talked this show up to who looked really interested in checking it out until I told them what network it was on. And really? I don't blame them. I'm pretty sure I would have had the same reaction if I hadn't been exposed to the positive buzz in the press for the show before I decided to check it out. For a long time Lifetime hasn't just been associated with the idea of "TV for Women" it's been associated with terrible TV for women. And it's going to take more than one good show to change that impression for people.

• Love 1

I've always assumed the network is the reason the ratings are so bad. I can't tell you how many people (most of them women!) I've talked this show up to who looked really interested in checking it out until I told them what network it was on. And really? I don't blame them. I'm pretty sure I would have had the same reaction if I hadn't been exposed to the positive buzz in the press for the show before I decided to check it out. For a long time Lifetime hasn't just been associated with the idea of "TV for Women" it's been associated with terrible TV for women. And it's going to take more than one good show to change that impression for people.

The commercials for their other programming is enough to make me go running, screaming, into the night.  Are there really women who watch this other stuff?  I'm not being snobby, I just want to know.

• Love 1
(edited)

ITA with what you both said about Lifetime. However would the ratings at the reviews differ of it was on another network like AbC, HBO, Showtime or Netflix? I bet if unREAL manages to win a bunch of Emmys people will then start to tune in. I also find it funny that a lot of the Lifetimes other original programming is Reality TV.

Edited by earlbny

ITA with what you both said about Lifetime. However would the ratings at the reviews differ of it was on another network like AbC, HBO, Showtime or Netflix?

Maybe not HBO or Showtime because those are subscription based channels (and Netflix doesn't release ratings so who knows there?) but for sure if it were on ABC. Even low-rated network shows pull in larger numbers than very successful and critically acclaimed cable dramas. A ratings bomb on network TV can still pull in 3 million viewers an episode. Those kinds of numbers would be considered a failure on one of the big 4 networks, but a success on cable.

• Love 1

Maybe not HBO or Showtime because those are subscription based channels (and Netflix doesn't release ratings so who knows there?) but for sure if it were on ABC. Even low-rated network shows pull in larger numbers than very successful and critically acclaimed cable dramas. A ratings bomb on network TV can still pull in 3 million viewers an episode. Those kinds of numbers would be considered a failure on one of the big 4 networks, but a success on cable.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense.I think it helped that it was on Lifetime. It's a new show and one of the only shows on the network as apposed to just another show on a crowed network. I guess if it was on one of the big 4 networks it may have been cancelled. 

(edited)

Here's a 30 minute interview with Craig Bierko

This site has apparently done interviews with other cast members. I believe I listened to one with Constance Zimmer.  The reason I bring this one over is because he talks a little about:

• his career:  For instance, he answers the question about passing on Chandler.  He's fine with it because he just happened to like another pilot more and made a choice.
  • his weight:  He had the weight on for another movie role and was planning to lose it before filming UnREAL but the producers thought it fit the character and wanted him to keep it.  He didn't mind having it on for a short period but he can't imagine carrying the extra weight for years, which he hopes is how long this show goes on for.  So he lost the weight even though the producers were okay with him keeping it on.  That means Chet is gonna be a fox next season, IMO. Although I guess they can still make him look shlubby.
  • How much he loves the show.  He gives a much of the cast a lot of love including Constance and Shiri.  He also says nice things about Freddie Stroma, Breeta (she's hilarious) and Josh Kelly (talks about his military past and how he considers him a hero.) 
  • He will be back for Season 2.  He imagines Constance and Shiri will be back but that is literally all he knows.  He can't imagine losing anyone but he also knows they may because it's the nature of the beast of their reality show setting.
  • His dog on the show is his dog in real life.  According to him, the dog, Boo, was around him during rehearsal for the pilot and TPTB just decided he'd be the dog on the show too.
Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

Thanks for the summary - was trying to listen to the interview earlier but kept getting interrupted. I really like Craig, he's doing a fantastic job as Chet. I think it is true to Chet's character that he started out overweight and completely disheveled looking. After the hospital scare, he seems to have started cleaning himself and his life up little by little. I imagine Chet was a fox at some point but the fortune, fame, and success went to his head and he over indulged. I'm sure they'll find a way to explain his weight loss next season.

• Love 2

Paley Center Unreal Panel

Looks like most of the cast will be there!

An Evening with UnREAL

Thursday, July 30, 2015

7:00 pm PT

Los Angeles

IN PERSON

Shiri Appleby, “Rachel Goldberg”

Constance Zimmer, “Quinn King”

Craig Bierko, “Chet Wilton”

Freddie Stroma, “Adam Cromwell”

Josh Kelly, “Jeremy Caner”

Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, “Jay”

Marti Noxon, Creator/Executive Producer

Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, Cocreator/Supervising Producer

Moderator: Jarett Wieselman, Senior Editor, Entertainment, BuzzFeed News

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks for the liks and info. I hope they stream this or put it on DVD like past events. Too bad none of the contestants will be at the event.

Someone asked a TV insider a questions about the Emmy's. Here's the question and answer.

Question: I know that it's too soon to be asking this, but what do you think about UnReal's Emmy chances for next year? Do you think that both Shiri Appleby and Constance Zimmer have a chance at being nominated for Emmys (along with the show and its writers, directors and crew members)? And which type of categories should the show and its actors, writers, directors, and crew members submit themselves into: drama or comedy? - Chris

Matt Roush: The last part of your question is a no-brainer. UnReal will qualify as drama, not comedy. There are satirical elements in play on the show, and I know I've laughed at some of the more outrageous dialogue and antics, but primarily this is a backstage drama. And the TV Academy has made it pretty clear that outside of some rare exceptions (like Jane the Virgin), hourlong shows will be considered dramas under the current rules. That said, UnReal would have to be seen as a real underdog given the general strength of the drama categories. The show may be a step up from a guilty pleasure, but the melodramatic nature of its plot twists and premise make it a tough sell. Not that it isn't worthy, and Appleby and Zimmer are terrific, but when shows like The Americans and Justified have trouble getting noticed, picturing UnReal among the finalists goes beyond unreal to surreal.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

So basically he's saying they don't have a chance in hell, lol. I sincerely hope he gets proven wrong! Question: is unreal eligible for golden globe nominations or is that next year too?

I hope he gets proven wrong as well. My feeling is that by the time 2016 roles around this show will be old news. People will be talking about the next big thing. If the 2nd season becomes a sophomore slump (I hope not) then when it comes time for award season it will gets past over. People live in the now so they won't be talking about season 1 anymore. I hope season 2 is just as good if not better.

I wish this show was a netflix show - it deserves better than Lifetime - I think Lifetime is the culprit of its ratings woes.

I'm completely hooked on this show and don't watch anything else on Lifetime. I only watch UnREAL.

I hope it's not produced by Lifetime - the producers need to jump to another network.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish this show was a netflix show - it deserves better than Lifetime - I think Lifetime is the culprit of its ratings woes.

I'm completely hooked on this show and don't watch anything else on Lifetime. I only watch UnREAL.

I hope it's not produced by Lifetime - the producers need to jump to another network.

ITA 110% I am a guy and love this show. It's the only thing on Lifetime I watch.  wish it was on HBO so we can get more skin. However it it was on HBO the shock value of various line used in the show would not be as shocking. I believe this show is produced by A&E. Lifetime was looking to re brand the network.

Here's an interview with Freddie.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/unreal-adam-freddie-stroma-prince-charming.html

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 1

ITA 110% I am a guy and love this show. It's the only thing on Lifetime I watch. 

I'm female and Lifetime is 100% associated with tripe and trope tv for me.  This is the only show I have ever watched on the channel, but I am kinda embarrassed by it being on Lifetime.

But hell, if some originally good channels (A&E, Bravo, etc...can migrate into crap, maybe it is a two way street?

• Love 4
(edited)

The host of the Bachelor just slammed Unreal in an interview with Variety. Sounds beyond bitter and immature. Don't have the link but he pretty much said:

- It's a terrible show that no one is watching.

- that it got exactly what it deserves (that no one is watching)

- the biggest difference between the bachelor and unreal is that people actually watch the bachelor.

Totally just rubbing in the low ratings and ignoring the incredible reception it's gotten in the press and with critics.

Edited by basically
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Bachelor is very successful and popular. The host does not need to slam UnREAL. The only thing that interview might do is actually get people to watch our show. The live ratings have been poor but it's on Lifetime. Plus that does not factor in all the other numbers. To me UnREAL is a drama/soap not a total BTS tell all. It's not like UnREAL is breaking down each episode of the Bachelor. I am not worried. I don't think anyone will care.

I found the link for you.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/chris-harrison-bachelor-unreal-lifetime-1201549641/#comments

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3

Jezebel's take:   

Maybe Harrison’s just bitter about the critical success of UnREAL—it’s received raves across the board. Or maybe he—lover of romance that he is—is defensive about the fact that UnREAL makes The Bachelor look less like a way to find love and more like a gussied-up version of Bachelor in Paradise. Or maybe he’s mad about how the host of Everlasting is depicted as a cheesy, sleazy motherfucker who sleeps with the contestants he’s supposed to be ~guiding through this journey~, especially given Harrison’s rumored connections to previous castmembers of his own show.

http://jezebel.com/chris-harrison-on-the-bachelor-inspired-show-unreal-it-1720680577

• Love 2
(edited)

The network is definitely hurting it. But people who do tune in can't stop. It's good stuff!

Ratings are out. I wonder if it is a bad sign for the finale.

RATINGS: LIFETIME’S “UNREAL” HITS DEMO LOW; “DEVIOUS MAIDS” ADDS VIEWERS

While it avoided a series low in total viewership, Monday’s “UnREAL” set a new low mark in adults 18-49.

The episode, which was the inaugural season’s penultimate installment, posted a 0.21 adults 18-49 rating with 572,000 total viewers. Both numbers markedly trail those of the previous week’s broadcast, which scored a 0.27 with 731,000 audience members.

The 0.21 adults 18-49 rating represents a new bottom for the Lifetime comedy. The 572,000 viewership mark is the show’s third-lowest on record. The June 15 and June 22 episodes drew 565,000 and 552,000, respectively.

Lifetime led into “UnREAL” with “Devious Maids.” While it too suffered a week-over-week decline in adults 18-49 (down from a 0.41 to a 0.37), it enjoyed a viewership increase (from 1.165 million to 1.265 million).

Edited by garuru
  • Love 1

I get the "wrong network" argument as I have made it before myself for other shows but this network is giving the world the chance to find it whereas another network might not.

Lifetime selected it, promoted the hell out of it and renewed it even with lackluster ratings so I don't agree that the network is "hurting" it.  Did it have any other offers?  It may have very well been Lifetime or never seeing this show.

Lifetime is trying to rebrand itself and its situation is similar to what AMC went through when they decided to make original programs.  They chose shows that had been passed on by other networks (Mad Men) and in some cases, many many networks (Breaking Bad) and stuck with them.  Hopefully, this show will grow through word-of-mouth but it will take patience by the network...which Lifetime seems to be doing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I get the "wrong network" argument as I have made it before myself for other shows but this network is giving the world the chance to find it whereas another network might not.

Lifetime selected it, promoted the hell out of it and renewed it even with lackluster ratings so I don't agree that the network is "hurting" it. Did it have any other offers? It may have very well been Lifetime or never seeing this show.

Lifetime is trying to rebrand itself and its situation is similar to what AMC went through when they decided to make original programs. They chose shows that had been passed on by other networks (Mad Men) and in some cases, many many networks (Breaking Bad) and stuck with them. Hopefully, this show will grow through word-of-mouth but it will take patience by the network...which Lifetime seems to be doing.

ITA with everything you said. I've followed Shiri career since Roswell and this the most promoted and well received shows she's been on. Lifetime is trying to rebrand the network so they took a chance on this show. I read that the creators were planning to shop it around to HBO, Showtime and Netflix. Lifetime pitched them an offer they could not refuse. I can't say if they had any other offers or not. Lifetime gave them the green light to go as dark as they want. Lifetime is still trying to rebrand the network however they still show the cheesy lifetime movies and reality TV. People still associate the network with television for woman. Mad men and breaking bad became big hits do to word-of-mouth and good promotion. The shield was a big hit for a cable network. One of the 1st to win an award. I think that part of the problem with UnREAL is the fact that a lot of people don't know what the show is about. It's a little confusing. So let me get this straight. UnREAL is like the Bachelor only it's a scripted show about the making of. If you don't watch reality TV you most likely don't care. If you do watch reality TV you know it's fake but you don't want to find out how fake it really is. You want to pretend the fairy tail fantasy is real. Some bad shows do really well because they are on a good network and so,e good shows do really bad because they are on a bad network. If somehow UnREAL was to get nominated for an Emmy or a Golden Globe award people would then check it out for sure. UnREAL May be well received amongst the critics but it's a hard sell to the TV audience. The spelling is also weird. You can also factor in that's it's the summer. Edited by earlbny

Lifetime selected it, promoted the hell out of it and renewed it even with lackluster ratings so I don't agree that the network is "hurting" it.  Did it have any other offers?  It may have very well been Lifetime or never seeing this show.

Lifetime is trying to rebrand itself and its situation is similar to what AMC went through when they decided to make original programs.  They chose shows that had been passed on by other networks (Mad Men) and in some cases, many many networks (Breaking Bad) and stuck with them.  Hopefully, this show will grow through word-of-mouth but it will take patience by the network...which Lifetime seems to be doing.

I actually don't find the situations between AMC and Lifetime all that analogous, as AMC never carried the same sort of baggage that Lifetime has and therefore didn't have such a steep hill to climb.  It's a lot easier to transition from a channel that's associated with broadcasting old classics, because it means the public didn't have established opinions on what AMC original content would be like.  AMC was basically able to build their reputation from scratch.  Lifetime, on the other hand, has built its reputation on 15-20 years worth of poor quality original content.  It's going to take a lot more than one good series (or even 2-3 good series!) to turn that around.

I think Lifetime has done a great job with UnReal.  They've clearly given the creators a lot of independence, which is laudable, and are showing tremendous patience as UnReal finds an audience.  And they're clearly very proud of the show and doing everything they can to make sure that people outside of its existing user base knows it's there.  I don't think anyone's disputing that.  But all of that respectable work doesn't mean that the Lifetime stigma isn't real and/or doesn't affect the show. I know they're trying to turn the network around, but until the commercials for other programming on Lifetime stop looking like stuff that was rejected by TLC for being too trashy, UnReal looks more like a fluke than a change in course.

• Love 2