Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

The most recent two were released on Monday 8/9 and Tues 8/17

They usually title them “the week of Monday, [DATE],” meaning 8/9 through 8/12. This latest one, Seth joked that they don’t have to identify the week by the Monday date, the Tuesday date would work just as well. But they are actually released after the Thursday show. 

• Useful 2
55 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Is Seth going to have a live audience starting today? I thought he said that once they came back after Labor Day, there would be at least a limited audience. Just curious. In the meantime, I'm fine with Wally. 😊😎

Amber Ruffin's show --which Seth promotes (she's on his show too and writes for his show and both shows use the same space)-- started having a live audience about a month ago. Unlike Colbert and others, Amber's audience is both vaxxed and masked, which follows the CDC's latest guidelines (as of a few days ago). So, since Seth has waited this long (perhaps because he has young kids whereas Colbert's are of the age to be vaccinated?) maybe his audience will be masked too.

I doubt I'll watch it live because of the hour here.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, opus said:

Quite the interview with John Mulaney last night.

Right?! I actually stayed awake!
But then the few times I've seen Mulaney he has always commanded attention.
I hope he's back to being "square."
Back in the 70s I had a musician friend who was "square" when everyone else around him was drinking and getting high, but then he had a time where he got into "speed," but, fortunately, it didn't last more than a year.
So hopefully that will be Mulaney's case too, but I kept looking at his eyes, if you know what I mean.

And, of course, Seth came off like the mensch that he always seems to be.

• Love 5

Wow, the internet really went nuts over the John Mulaney thing! I think his interview was really heartfelt. Some of his fans think they can’t like him anymore, but they should remember that he’s a human, and has foibles like everyone else. I’m rooting for him to succeed.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Really?? I'm surprised to hear people think him having a drug problem means they can't like him. What kind of fans did he have?? 

I don’t know, it was weird, like they have this idealized vision of him that they have him on a pedestal. Oh, and his marriage ending really has their ire up.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

So, since Seth has waited this long (perhaps because he has young kids whereas Colbert's are of the age to be vaccinated?) maybe his audience will be masked too.

I thought about that, too, but Jimmy Fallon has had an audience for months now and has young kids not yet eligible to be vaccinated. I'm not complaining, however. 

• Useful 2
On 9/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, cpcathy said:

Wow, the internet really went nuts over the John Mulaney thing! I think his interview was really heartfelt. Some of his fans think they can’t like him anymore, but they should remember that he’s a human, and has foibles like everyone else. I’m rooting for him to succeed.

I know the crossover was only brief with both Seth and Mulaney with him, but I keep hoping at least one of these SNL people will actually talk about Horatio Sanz.  

But lets admit even what we DID see dodged a few issues.  Mulaney's act of being happy about the baby seemed threadbare.  And while I wouldn't expect them to talk about how he treated his former wife, it certainly felt weird knowing it was being avoided.  

I think Seth was just (once again) trying to do his somewhat screwed up but brilliant friend a solid. As one does, to coin a phrase.  But people on the net were definitely reacting to how strained it felt.

Edited by SnarkShark
  • Love 2

Ah... I know nothing about Mulaney's previous marriage or anything else about him other than what I've seen on SNL and this show. So if there is other stuff that people are finding out about that is unsavory, then it makes more sense to me that maybe that's causing the negative reactions.

Being late to your intervention, and getting a rogue haircut, is fairly mild stuff for a person with a massive addiction problem. It just seemed fairly tame to be turning fans against you. But... if the interview conveniently ignores the really terrible stuff....

• Love 2

I was a huge Mulaney fan. Not anymore. He was cheating on his wife and got his mistress pregnant. 

His stand up featured him and wife not wanting kids. So his mistress getting pregnant is surprising.

I was planning to see his show. Not anymore. He is not getting my $.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I love Seth and omg, he keeps getting better.  He’s my favorite treat of the day. 

Ref. Mulaney.  I get having him on.  I was only vaguely aware of him before the scandal. I wish anyone who’s in recovery much success, but his timeline of events isn’t accurate, imo.  It’s none of my business how he builds his new family, but as a person new to recovery….it seems like poor judgement and little consideration by the parents regarding a child.  I guess you do the best you can with what you have.  

• Love 1

I think adding a live audience to Amber's show has degraded its quality significantly. They spend the first part of the show just airing the audience screaming and Amber talking about having an audience and generally pandering to their applause. I clocked it at nearly 5 minutes of the most recent episode.

It's also fucked with the sound mix. They've got the audience so loud that it drowns out Amber and Tarik sometimes. The choice is either waste even more time pausing for crowd noise, or fix your sound mix, but as an at home viewer, I don't get anything out of listening to crowd roar.

Colbert is even worse. 

I know that these shows are basically a vehicle to promote guest projects, but if they are making a show to cater to the guests more than the audience, I'm not sure why we should keep watching it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think adding a live audience to Amber's show has degraded its quality significantly. They spend the first part of the show just airing the audience screaming and Amber talking about having an audience and generally pandering to their applause. I clocked it at nearly 5 minutes of the most recent episode.

It's also fucked with the sound mix. They've got the audience so loud that it drowns out Amber and Tarik sometimes. The choice is either waste even more time pausing for crowd noise, or fix your sound mix, but as an at home viewer, I don't get anything out of listening to crowd roar.

Colbert is even worse. 

I know that these shows are basically a vehicle to promote guest projects, but if they are making a show to cater to the guests more than the audience, I'm not sure why we should keep watching it.

We have enjoyed the under produced at home shows more than in the studio with or without an audience 

• Love 3

I literally never saw any of these shows (Seth, Colbert, Trevor Noah) until about April 2020, because I'm not interested in vapid celebrity interviews. I began watching because they were discussing serious issues like the pandemic and I was stuck at home for a while. I'm really not liking the new/old format. Lots of wasted time and screaming and what feels like ego pandering. I'm close to abandoning them all. I'm afraid of how Seth will be like with an audience.

• Love 1

I love Surprise Inspection! It would be hilarious if he did it to the Graphics Department, too, especially if he used his Graphics voice for them. Speaking of, that Disneyworld Southwest Airlines joke absolutely needed a photo of the “full pumpkin” interior. 

I absolutely expected the Daniel Craig Macbeth joke to be Karen Chee’s, and neither of the ones she actually wrote. No bad jokes from Amber?

Edited by ahisma
spellcheck is bad at names
  • Love 2

Oh no!  Free lunch!  Child care!  2 years of community college!  You know what that gets? Actual working people, not billionaires going into space for a few minutes.  Yeah those tax cuts really trickled down.  

and just because the lunch is free doesn’t mean every one eats it.  It’s not like everything is free.  It’s a set meal.  Not everyone likes everything being served free.  My older kid is vegetarian so can’t eat much of the free meal, so she brings her own lunch.  My other kid doesn’t like most of the food served, also brings their own lunch.

• Love 5

I think this show is making the transition back to an audience really smoothly. It doesn't seem like they're distracted by it or changing the kind of stuff they do, other than less of the banter with the crew. They even kept Seth's casual clothing and "we love you" closer. So far, so good.

Also, I love Eliz Warren, so that's always a mood lifter.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think this show is making the transition back to an audience really smoothly. It doesn't seem like they're distracted by it or changing the kind of stuff they do, other than less of the banter with the crew. They even kept Seth's casual clothing and "we love you" closer. So far, so good.

I was thinking that too. Either Seth's target audience is a bit more sedate and cerebral than the other late nights, or they actively ask the live audience not to go over the top.

• Love 4

Agree with the previous two posts, which are pretty much what I came here to say. I think Seth is making the smoothest transition to an in-person audience of all the late-night hosts. Not only does he not fawn over them, he's actually a little sardonic toward them, which is refreshing.

I do miss seeing the band members at home. No more keyboards in the kitchen or wildly creative, vivid decor as a backdrop for the guitarist. But they must be over the moon to be playing together in person again. All the tech in the world can't substitute for that. Surely musicians who perform collaboratively have had a hard time of it with distancing (all things being equal).

• Love 4

Can someone tell me who Billy Bob Thornton said he sang background vocals for on an album?  The episode he was on tonight was repeat tonight and I’ve seen it before. I missed it that time too! He’s talking as if the guy died. He gave Billy Bob a ring in anticipation of his death.  Anyone know?  

On 10/13/2021 at 11:48 AM, opus said:

I was thinking that too. Either Seth's target audience is a bit more sedate and cerebral than the other late nights, or they actively ask the live audience not to go over the top.

Agreed. I don't know how they managed to pull this off when the others haven't. But so far it does seem like Seth has transferred his comfortable audience free routine more or less seamlessly to having an audience again. I LOVE that he's kept his casual clothes and comments to his writers, etc. It doesn't feel like he's putting on some sort of fake persona that isn't really him (like Colbert).

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved the "Bon Ivermectin" joke last night. Also, big fan of the gourd/God joke and even the RKelly one. I mean... good job making me laugh while trying to sell me that I shouldn't. That's good writer aikido.

The joke that literally had me on the floor was Lenny/rabbits. Of course, Mike Scollins wrote that joke. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 5

I just watched the new Thanksgiving episode with Seth's brother and parents on stage, and with videos of his kids that were very well edited for cuteness and relevance.
BTW, I'm not sure if this was previously revealed on SM, but:

Spoiler

Seth and his wife had a baby girl at home in a couple of hours in the bathtub with a midwife

Anyway, Seth's brother is the better dresser LOL, but all of them (Seth, brother, both parents) are very witty and naturally funny and at ease on stage.
It did break my heart a little to see his mom——like both of my parents before they passed——suffering from a Parkinson's or a Parkinson's-like condition while still being completely mentally present, also like my parents were. 🙁

But I enjoyed seeing how they share familial traits, and I enjoyed hearing Seth's style of wit coming out of his parents and brother. They also share the same facial expressions and general amusement with life.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:
  Hide contents

That video of Axel holding baby Addie saying "Baby sister do you like me?" is the sweetest.

I always love when Seth has his family on. What a fun family. 

It’s clear that Seth didn’t become a comedian because he had a traumatic childhood. They are the only family I’m slightly envious of.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, I'm not sure if this was previously revealed on SM

He actually broke the news on Corrections the night before. I was super surprised it’s been kept quiet so long!

• Love 4

Seriously shocking surprise, but good for them! 

Spoiler

I wonder why it always has to be an "A" name?

I was surprised to hear the Thanksgiving show is their highest rated of the year. He was speculating that it's because of the post-game slot, but I also wonder if it's because everyone else is off, so people migrate from other franchises for a live show. Plus, it's pleasant. After all the tension, having a family that seems to genuinely get along is refreshing. I almost didn't watch but was glad I did.

I had trouble understanding the mixologist's speech-- I don't even know why. It was like he mumbled the last syllable of every word or something. I was glad Seth sometimes repeated what he said. I'm usually good with accents, but it didn't seem like an accent so much as a diction issue.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, possibilities said:

it didn't seem like an accent so much as a diction issue.

Also possibly a low-talker and/or a mic issue.

But Seth's mom made up for all of it with her perfect taste test evaluations of the drinks, which were supported by the rest of the family telling us what she was likely to conclude. This family should get a prime time series.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So it is weird how just watching Closer Look on YouTube has affected me. I was going through movies on Prime Video looking for something to watch and close to each other I saw Heat, Donnie Brasco and Scent of a Woman. And now all I can think about is Seth's Al Pacino impression.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Oh, man. Seth wants to do Best Of Corrections, and I would never be able to decide. Jackals are mentioning the knitting war+sweater, the rooster spy who couldn’t wink, the graphics department who gets off on humiliation…. Best Of would just be playing them all over from the top!

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Unpopular opinion: Wally isn't funny. All the time they spend on him is wasted time.

But then, I never found the sea captain funny either, so I guess I can be a bit of a curmudgeon 😐

Same. Same. Same.
That is:

• Wally's not funny.
  • Sea Captain's not funny.
  • I am a bit of a curmudgeon.

But when Seth is right on target, I appreciate it. 
And his interview with Priyanka Chopra-Jonas was great mostly because he let her shine.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Unpopular opinion: Wally isn't funny. All the time they spend on him is wasted time.

For the minute or so of airtime he might get per episode, I never really thought about it.

Edited by opus
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

But then, I never found the sea captain funny either, so I guess I can be a bit of a curmudgeon 😐

I am pretty indifferent to Wally, but I thought the Sea Captain was pretty funny. When Seth was doing the no audience and home shows, stuff like the Sea Captain, the weird tangents (like the cicada musical) and the bad impressions and call backs made me laugh a lot. Plus I always thought they were kind of a hint that Seth was kind of going crazy doing the show from home.

• Love 5

I love Wally! I always root for him to get lines rather than just a camera appearance, so he can earn extra 😄

I don’t know what I’m going to do over the next few weeks with no show and, most importantly, no Corrections. I laughed at loud at Mikey the Shoe sounding exactly like Seth’s impression of him!

• Love 2