Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love how Seth ends every “A Closer Look” segment with a replay of a phrase caught on camera, replaying the audio clip in a way that actually makes sense, especially in last night’s case, applying the juvenile taunt of “they have no balls” to the group represented by the speaker of that taunt.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I love how Seth ends every “A Closer Look” segment with a replay of a phrase caught on camera, replaying the audio clip in a way that actually makes sense, especially in last night’s case, applying the juvenile taunt of “they have no balls” to the group represented by the speaker of that taunt.

I could be mistaken but I suspect that Seth doesn't know what clip will be used. Just based on his reaction some of the times.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, possibilities said:

I love Surprise Inspection. 

It is a really smart way to repackage all the crappy unusable jokes into a really funny bit.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I could be mistaken but I suspect that Seth doesn't know what clip will be used. Just based on his reaction some of the times.

This detailed Vulture article from 2016 — written after the article's author followed Seth and everyone around for a day while they composed A Closer Look — makes it seem very unlikely that there are any surprises for Seth in the script or with the sound or visual effects: vulture.com/2016/12/seth-meyers-late-night-c-v-r.html

But given that it's now 8 years later(!), it could be possible that the show team is now such a well-oiled machine that Seth could occasionally be surprised by the sound-bite punchline.

Or maybe he is just sometimes surprised by the audience reaction?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

I always wind up LOLing at at least one joke in every Surprise Inspection, and thinking, how did that not make the monologue??

It's an honor to have you joining us Mr. Scollins!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 10/18/2023 at 1:58 PM, possibilities said:
On 10/18/2023 at 9:25 AM, Quof said:

I've been watching YouTube clips, as well as listening to Seth's podcast with his brother.  I'm finding him funnier now than I have in years past, but I want to reach through my device to grab him by the neck and scream "Please learn subjective versus objective pronouns!  I'm so tired of hearing you say "I" when you should say "me"!"

Someone should report this to "Corrections".

On Monday's Corrections, Seth was called out for his misuse of "I" rather than "me".  I feel heard.  

• Fire 3
  • Applause 1

Amy Poehler looked fantastic in tonight's show. Seth looked hilarious in a suit... I don't remember him looking awkward in a suit when he wore one before. But I loved the way the conductor hat looked-- changed the entire outfit. But now I want to see Amy in that dress with the conductor hat.

I thought it was weird that Biden followed Amy. I would think he'd be the first guest. 

I had no idea it had been 10 years, either. Time flies. It kind of freaks me out a little.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought it was weird that Biden followed Amy. I would think he'd be the first guest. 

Callback to the order they appeared on the very first episode. I guess Joe has no problem following Amy.

• Like 3

Great anniversary episode. I could tell things were edited super tightly to squeeze in everything they wanted. I liked the guest order. Amy was so sweet and festive and celebratory. It was nice to have that and have her as a bridge for the slightly more serious Biden portion. Seth seemed kinda nervous to me, but I think he did fine. He asked a few real questions that I don't think other late night hosts would. No comment on Joe's answers.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Is there any backstory on why the two of them were chowing down on ice cream cones in front of a bunch of reporters?

On 2/29/2024 at 7:35 PM, opus said:

Is there any backstory on why the two of them were chowing down on ice cream cones in front of a bunch of reporters?

Also Biden iconically loves ice cream. It's become a big part of his image in the last few years and I figured that was part of the reason he asked if Seth wanted to get some with him.

I really liked the way they mixed it up in this week's episodes. It felt like there was a concentrated dose of more of the segments they don't do very often. I love A Closer Look but it was nice to see them flex a little more comedy muscle.

• Like 3

I surprised myself by being able to f'love a clip of MTG (as Seth's call back at the end of tonight's A Closer Look).
From his impish grin, I think he realized how perfect it was.

5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

How is Seth getting even funnier in ACL? I’m laughing myself silly, and I had a cat on lap last night so that was no easy feat.

Was that the one with paddle ball, and then the sleep mask, and then the paddle ball with the sleep mask, while all the video clips of you-know-who were running in the background?
Perfect.👏
Isn't how we all feel right about now?

• Like 1

Liev Schreiber said he had an incident of TGA - Transient Global Amnesia. I've had that happen to me, and once it was diagnosed and I told people what had happened, almost half said it had happened to a friend or relative.

It's scary when it's happening, but it doesn't last long - mine lasted about 12 hours. And the neurologist I saw said he's only seen recurrences in 3 or 4 patients in his 30 years of practice.

Here's a web site for those who are interested:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-global-amnesia/symptoms-causes/syc-20378531

• Like 1
  • Useful 5