Type keyword(s) to search

Late Night With Seth Meyers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

He didn't ask Minnie Driver how she and her friend got out of the jungle. That was a weird lack of follow up on the story she was telling.

I guess we’ll have to read the book to find out????

No, I think she said that was a story that didn't make it into the book. So, we may never know!

I guess we do know she got out and is okay, so it's not really suspense. It was weird, though, that he changed the subject just as she got to the thing that made it interesting.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I found Jenna Fisher's suit astonishing.

I had to go find this on YouTube to see what you were referencing. 
Maybe not "astonishing" but Jenna Fisher's pantsuit is like a cross between a Disco era leisure suit and pajamas. 
I couldn't stand to watch the show when it was on because I was working in an office with a mean boss, but my daughter loved it and watched every episode.
Regardless, what a delightful interview!

Seth’s response to the Buffalo shooting was the commentary I needed. This really has gone from shocking to everyday. Horrible. 

A Closer Look was also outstanding. He has an uncanny ability to mimic/mock deranged rambling, whether Dolt 45 or Bowtie Benito. Don’t Ask Jeeves was so spot on. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, ahisma said:

Seth’s response to the Buffalo shooting was the commentary I needed. This really has gone from shocking to everyday. Horrible. 

You mean with Amber Ruffin's wonderfully effective singing, right?

I noticed Amber's white flower in her hair was reminiscent of Billie Holliday's when she sang Strange Fruit:
https://www.history.com/news/billie-holiday-strange-fruit-lynchings

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Not to dunk too hard on her but Martha Stewart is looking and sounding all of her age of 80.  It may be time for her to stay put at her bucolic farm and call it a day.  If I were one of the many businesses that pony up a fair amount of cash to be affiliated with her I'd more than a little concerned, but who knows, maybe she and her brand will just live on into perpetuity like Gianni Versace, Walt Disney or Jimmy Dean (of sausage fame).

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, ahisma said:

A Closer Look was also outstanding. He has an uncanny ability to mimic/mock deranged rambling, whether Dolt 45 or Bowtie Benito. Don’t Ask Jeeves was so spot on. 

I'm glad Seth touched on the use of the descriptor "obedient," but it was so deeply offensive, that I hope Amber will run with it on her show.

• Love 2

I thought there was a weird moment during A Closer Look. They were showing clips of Bill Barr using the word bullshit and the word was heard. But afterwards when Seth would say it it got bleeped. Is there some sort of network TV reason for that?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, opus said:

I thought there was a weird moment during A Closer Look. They were showing clips of Bill Barr using the word bullshit and the word was heard. But afterwards when Seth would say it it got bleeped. Is there some sort of network TV reason for that?

I noticed that. What is even weirder is that one was bleeped and the other wasn't even on YouTube. Why are they bleeping anything on YouTube?

On 6/14/2022 at 1:09 AM, opus said:

Awesome. Seth addressed it tonight.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, opus said:

Awesome. Seth addressed it tonight.

Maybe it's because I'm a retired college librarian who has had to prepare endless handouts ad nauseum regarding citation punctuation etc., but I floved Seth's detailed demonstration of why and when it's okay to use profanity on network TV. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it's because I'm a retired college librarian who has had to prepare endless handouts ad nauseum regarding citation punctuation etc., but I floved Seth's detailed demonstration of why and when it's okay to use profanity on network TV. 

He just needs to do a follow up about why it is still bleeped on YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, smittykins said:

Interesting.  I watched that and Stephen Colbert’s monologue, and Barr’s “bullshit” was bleeped.  NBC and CBS must have different late-night standards.

They certainly do. At CBS the insightful topical comedy is on at 11:30 while the stunts and games and fawning over every guest are at 12:30. NBC is the exact opposite...

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect
  • LOL 7

Wow. I remember seeing Seth serious-angry or serious-upset about various things in the news. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen him serious in the quiet, open, and empathetic way he was in his interview with Elliot Page. It was just thoughtful and lovely and beautiful. 

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Being a late night host requires so many things. It's not just a comedy gig. Hosts have to funny, have to make sense of current news, have to be able to interview well, show deep empathy along with proffering comfort and wisdom when tragedy strikes. And they have to do that one far too often. 

Of the current crop, I think Seth truly sets a standard for what a late night host needs to be. 

I mean, could you imagine what Leno could have effectively said after Uvalde or January 6th?

• Like 2
  • Love 8

I just caught Seth's "A Closer Look" from Monday (I think? July 25, 2022?) and realize I may have misstated precisely who is, IMO, the antichrist the last time someone invited me to church --that is, not the person in the still shot here, as I had previously supposed, but rather, based on pyrotechnic entrance and facial hair style [click to see]

Also, I wonder if Seth was starting to feel a little under the weather when this was filmed? 😞 Hope he's feeling better now.

• Love 1

Damn, I missed Seth! I was crying laughing at his impression of Trump talking about Sullenberger and the geese, and the big strong goose with the tear rolling down his bill, beak, whatever. “And he looked at me and he said, ‘HONK.’” 

• LOL 5

Whenever Seth comes back from a break I realize how much I missed him! Even if he did spend the whole Closer Look (deservedly) ragging on my poor state, the Florida of the West… But we got a running Wally gag, a Tucker Carlson impression, AND a Trump impression that ended on a callback to the Wally joke! 

• Love 2

Last night's was great with Jake Tapper, Sheryl Lee Ralph, and chef  Sohla El-Waylly.

Sheryl Lee Ralph was wonderful and looked fabulous.
What are/is her leg wear called, and does/do they go over the shoes or are the shoes part of the leggings or . . . ?

Sheryl-Lee-Ralph-Abbott-Elemetary-Late-Night-Seth-Meyers-11222-TV-Style-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-4.jpg

I thought the joke about "New Thork" was funny (on this week's Corrections), but it got zero laughs in studio. Maybe I just like word jokes.

I also wondered about Sheryl Lee Ralph's leg/shoe clothing. Maybe it's a kind of skin-tight thigh boot?

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone else think Gayle King was the epitome of confidence wearing that grey lounging outfit (an Oprah favourite).  OMG!!!

All I could think was how awful it would be going to the bathroom🚽——which those of us of a certain age do frequently. The odds of it getting gross are pretty high. And she came out wearing it right after talking about having to wear the same dress 2 days in a row during the last election because she couldn’t go home to change! 
E01B8530-DFEA-4FA1-B37C-A348CDC62828.jpeg.55c0c7ef8f46987c3c1ba85cb6e5e950.jpeg

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Did Seth say "sanctimonious" is 6 syllables? I can't make it more than 5, no matter how hard I try.

LOL, "sanctimonious" is only 5 syllables, but "DeSanctimonious" is 6 syllables.😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Seth's Closer Look tonight was great, but I really wish he and the writers had read one of the headline articles about Mastadon (the multi-platform attracting Twitter refugees) before they wrote the riff about what are tweets called on other platforms, because they are called "toots." Seriously. You know? Like. . .  Yeah. Hopefully by tomorrow Seth will have a hilarious bit about toots. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Seth's Closer Look tonight was great, but I really wish he and the writers had read one of the headline articles about Mastadon (the multi-platform attracting Twitter refugees) before they wrote the riff about what are tweets called on other platforms, because they are called "toots." Seriously. You know? Like. . .  Yeah. Hopefully by tomorrow Seth will have a hilarious bit about toots. 

“Trump tooted today….”

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

Oy. Seth's 10.27 that aired last week had him making fun of more than one currently famous person's inability to pronounce words correctly, but then Seth introduced David Duchovny as "Duchovony" (with an extra syllable/vowel) and continued to say it that way at least 3 more times. To Duchovny's credit as an actor and/or a poker player, he never let it register on his own face.
Ironically, when plugging Duchovny's new graphic novel, Seth even asked Duchovny the correct pronunciation of his illustrator's name. I might have caught a twinkle in Duchovny's eye at that moment. Not sure. I was watching on my 24" TV while folding laundery laundry. 
I recall at least a decade or 2 ago Duchovny appearing on someone's talk show and mentioning having a name with too many consonants for an actor. 
I also recall Seth adding a syllable to someone else's name recently, but not whose.

Nevertheless, Seth's bit with Seinfeld impersonations was pretty great.

And Duchovny leading the dry humor conversation with Seth featuring the word penis was much funnier than I'd expect something like that to be. 

The annual Meyers Family Thanksgiving episode did not disappoint, though patriarch Larry was remote from New Hampshire due to a positive covid test. Highlights included mom Hillary muting him during a long, potentially boring golf story, brother Josh teasing her about her doublefisting, and the family's remembering a favorite aunt who once wound up on a fire escape trying to find the bathroom at a Broadway show. The topper was the annual video of Seth's kids dressed as turkeys with Frisbee the dog in a Pilgrim costume. They truly are the late night family we all would like to have, and they are all raconteurs. I could listen to their stories for hours. Maybe they should be guests for the entire Thanksgiving week from now on. Loved every minute of it!! 😁

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

They truly are the late night family we all would like to have, and they are all raconteurs.

Amen!

The entire show was hilarious, from Seth’s MyPillow sound effect fails to the final conclusion of the Corrections sweepstakes!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Damn, I missed it. What was the Corrections sweepstakes result?

I mean, watch for his whole (hilariously pissy) reaction, but he’s sending mugs to every international watcher who sent a postcard. (Plus a Graphics Department snark, a Shoemaker interaction, and a crackup even bigger than the one during A Closer Look) ❤️

• Love 2