Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Let's Face It

• Start Topic

I tried to use Google to find their physical address and came up empty, so at least you're a stalker who got results, unlike me, who is just a would be stalker foiled by google. I wonder what the reasoning was for creating a trust to purchase the house. Unless the trust was already in existence. That seems to add a complication if (or when) C&T break up.

At any rate, at $36K, I would really hope they purchased it outright without financing. Considering though that a potential mortgage is still less monthly than even the cheapest rent, it's not a bad investment. However, if they want to move, they may have some trouble unloading the house, given the dismal job market.

I wonder if the trust was created by Jezebel (I think that's the site that collected money for them).

Years ago people donated through a website to help the pair with educational expenses in pursuit of their elusive social working [sic] degrees.

• Love 1
(edited)

Gary was a cna. He wanted to persue a career in nursing and they filmed him leaving class way back in the beginning. Idk what happened because I remember seeing him tweet something about him being so busy with either school or work that he didn't have time to pay his rent a few years ago. The mtv money is really crippling these losers imo. Teen mom isn't going to last forever and none of them can see this. Even cate and Tyler's speaking engagements are going to end as soon as they are too old to be relevant to the teenagers they are speaking to. What are they going to say, oh yeah ten years ago, we had a kid and decided on adoption for reasons x y and z? i don't see how the average 16 year old pregnant teenager will relate to them any differently than the adoption counselor. Teen mom is a big thing now but the next generation isn't going to care or even know much about it. Look at a big show like friends. The kids who are teenagers now were babies when that show was on. And that was a mega hit show. Tm is popular but I don't think any of the people on the show have a realistic perspective in the slightest.

Edited by lexiexx
  • Love 3

Wait. Is there a number missing here or they bought a house for 36 grand?

Yep. Not far from Detroit, I believe. Super depressed market, though some people are moving in and renovating in places. It had one of the biggest gains in price this year of any American metro area. They might have bought closer to the bottom of the crash.

My husband is from TN and we are supposed to move there soon. The deal is that I must be an hour out from all family and that puts us square in Chattanooga. I'm shocked at the house Maci bought for that price. I'd pay cash for it and gotten it even cheaper though.

At least you get that high speed fiber network that Chattanooga just built :)

• Love 1

I remember seeing him tweet something about him being so busy with either school or work that he didn't have time to pay his rent a few years ago.

From what I recall, Gary had moved so he could be closer to the college he had enrolled in. He was not going to be near his mother, who was Leah's caretaker. I remember reading in some article about him supposedly owing rent, but I never saw anything after that such as any legal documents or any stories about Gary having to go to court. Not like what recently happened to Amber where there were documents that showed MTV paid her rent. Whether they were loaning her the money or they outright paid it for her, I don't know.

Not like what recently happened to Amber where there were documents that showed MTV paid her rent. Whether they were loaning her the money or they outright paid it for her, I don't know.

Wait, what? Ugh, that pisses me off. And why do I have the feeling MTV does that sort of thing a lot for these girls? It's so gross. It's not "reality". Show a real "teen mom" with her back up against the wall and no one to bail her out but herself. 

Wait, what? Ugh, that pisses me off. And why do I have the feeling MTV does that sort of thing a lot for these girls? It's so gross. It's not "reality". Show a real "teen mom" with her back up against the wall and no one to bail her out but herself. 

When Farrah got hosed over that Craigslist scheme, wasn't the crew pretty quiet, save for the occasional smothered snicker?

• Love 1

Back when that was first posted, I read the .pdf attachment. It looked, to me, like the money may have been Amber's earnings that were just transferred directly to the property company. It had to do with the MTV account name. I don't think MTV paid her bills with their production money.

• Love 2

Oh come on, everyone buys a house before seeing it in the daylight, right?

Was it me, or did creepy Matt seem annoyed when Leah started to feel better? Like he had planned on making her a little sick bed on the floor to pass out in, while he got Amber's money's worth at the sex hotel?

Sofia...nothing that hasn't been said already. At one point she was ripping around the dining room table doing this tooth bearing, panting thing, and I caught myself shuddering and looking away, feeling exactly as I used to when watching the gross eating challenges on fear factor. #freesimon

Whomever above said that T&C act as though Carly is merely out on loan was spot on. And because it cannot be said enough- eat a dick, Tyler.

• Love 5
(edited)

Was that in St Clair County? I checked out the property tax site and although you can search by owner name, I could find nothing under their names.

OK, for $36K, even if they financed 100% of it, on a 180 month amort, that's still less than $300 a month. They should be fine.

I don't know if anyone responded to this already but according to what I found, it's in a trust. It's shocking to me that its in a trust. Something seems fishy especially based on the name of the trust. 

Oops it was posted already! My bad :-)

Edited by Workslame

Interestingly, a friend of mine just talked to me about land trusts a few weeks ago. He owns a weekend property on the coast that he is bored of and a younger friend of ours wants to buy it but does not have the down payment or credit history to buy traditionally so they have decided on this land trust option that he explained to me is a bit like "rent to own." If C&T chose this option then they do not "own" the home and if they are unable to make payments to the actual owner in the future then he can remove them from the property and any equity they have built from the "rental" payments will vanish.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh come on, everyone buys a house before seeing it in the daylight, right?

Was it me, or did creepy Matt seem annoyed when Leah started to feel better? Like he had planned on making her a little sick bed on the floor to pass out in, while he got Amber's money's worth at the sex hotel?

Sofia...nothing that hasn't been said already. At one point she was ripping around the dining room table doing this tooth bearing, panting thing, and I caught myself shuddering and looking away, feeling exactly as I used to when watching the gross eating challenges on fear factor. #freesimon

Whomever above said that T&C act as though Carly is merely out on loan was spot on. And because it cannot be said enough- eat a dick, Tyler.

Sophia reminds me of what I remember learning about Australoids. She has the same low brow ridge and similar unkempt wavy hair. The oral and jaw features of the Australoids were more evoled than Sophia's, IIRC.

Eeew the creepy rapey scenario squicked me out! And made me laugh.

Edited by Shelby

Interestingly, a friend of mine just talked to me about land trusts a few weeks ago. He owns a weekend property on the coast that he is bored of and a younger friend of ours wants to buy it but does not have the down payment or credit history to buy traditionally so they have decided on this land trust option that he explained to me is a bit like "rent to own." If C&T chose this option then they do not "own" the home and if they are unable to make payments to the actual owner in the future then he can remove them from the property and any equity they have built from the "rental" payments will vanish.

That sounds like a house sold on a contract for deed. However, I think in that case, the ownership does transfer to the buyer, but the foreclosure process for the seller is much, much easier than in a traditional bank owned mortgage. I think they can pretty much send a letter and change the locks and the buyer is out.

While the article on the previous page extolls the virtues of land trusts, I just can't imagine C&T making considerations such as liability and tax benefits and deciding to create a trust- and who in their lives would even advise them to do this? Butch? A number of sources (granted, sources like Wet Paint and Teen Mom Junkie) do specifically say C&T bought the house, but as soon as I heard the ownership was a trust I was rather skeptical. I hope they own it though- if only because the rent on that place has to be more than a mortgage would, and C&T don't even have the asset at the end of the day.

I just don't know with these guys. The TM1 participants are some of the least financially savvy people I've ever seen on reality TV, and that's saying something. For the cost of one salon appt, these guys could meet with planners who would help them understand the best way to manage their money (I mean, the initial consultation would cost what a salon appt would, not the ongoing money management costs), and these stupid kids just won't consider it. Do they really think MTV is going to be paying them 10 years from now?

• Love 4
(edited)

That sounds like a house sold on a contract for deed. However, I think in that case, the ownership does transfer to the buyer, but the foreclosure process for the seller is much, much easier than in a traditional bank owned mortgage. I think they can pretty much send a letter and change the locks and the buyer is out.

While the article on the previous page extolls the virtues of land trusts, I just can't imagine C&T making considerations such as liability and tax benefits and deciding to create a trust- and who in their lives would even advise them to do this? Butch? A number of sources (granted, sources like Wet Paint and Teen Mom Junkie) do specifically say C&T bought the house, but as soon as I heard the ownership was a trust I was rather skeptical. I hope they own it though- if only because the rent on that place has to be more than a mortgage would, and C&T don't even have the asset at the end of the day.

I just don't know with these guys. The TM1 participants are some of the least financially savvy people I've ever seen on reality TV, and that's saying something. For the cost of one salon appt, these guys could meet with planners who would help them understand the best way to manage their money (I mean, the initial consultation would cost what a salon appt would, not the ongoing money management costs), and these stupid kids just won't consider it. Do they really think MTV is going to be paying them 10 years from now?

Add to the fact that a few of the cast members from both shows had issues with back taxes, I can imagine they havent gotten much advice

Edited by jadecorleone
  • Love 1

Cate and Tyler I think have the best chance at being paid because of MTV in the long run.  Not by MTV per say.. but because of being on the show.  They can extend their 15 min by traveling and talking about adoption. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't own their house.  It seems they do because they are painting walls and such but I've known people who rented houses and were allowed to paint/decorate however they wanted.  

• Love 1

Tyler always seemed to have stability with Kim. Catelynn appeared to have it rougher. I don't think Butch and April kept them in one stable place for long. And then there were the times the fighting would get so bad and Catelynn would have to leave. So I get that just having their own place, alone, with no drama is a big thing for them. I just wish they weren't resting on their laurels and were working hard to be able to keep their home, or maybe even upgrade, by investing in an education or trade that will get them somewhere in life. 

• Love 2

T/C mention renovating and painting the house on social media.

At $36,000 I hope to god they just bought it!

I agree - it'd be stupid not to, unless for some reason they didn't want to be tied to the town for long term.

Today. 12:41 pm

If this is true and they are doing a rent to own situation they are crazy and must be nearly broke if they could not afford to outright buy a $36,000 house. With the money they have made they should have been able to buy a $100,000 house with cash! But instead i'm sure that money was wasted on cars and plastic surgery (Tyler's sister)  and huge Carly blankets and nail appts and tacky furnishings for the house and a bunch of crap for Carly that she probably never even saw because her parents donated it.  All of these "kids" act like MTV is a career and it is not going to be around forever. As someone else pointed out Cate and Tyler are getting to be too old to give adoption talks. In a few years no teens will even know who Catelyn and Tyler from TM are so they will have no appeal. And a scared or angry 15 year old thinking of giving her baby up for adoption isn't going to relate to a nearly 30 year old ( in a few years) matronly looking Catelynn extoling the virtues of "placing" Carly for adoption.  The gravy train is about to come to a halt and none of these former teen moms are prepared for that.

• Love 3

So I get that just having their own place, alone, with no drama is a big thing for them. I just wish they weren't resting on their laurels and were working hard to be able to keep their home, or maybe even upgrade, by investing in an education or trade that will get them somewhere in life.

I think Cate doesn't want to work. And I don't mean just because she's lazy- I think Cate has dreams of being a stay at home mom who bakes cookies and is involved with school activities and mommy and me classes. She specifically mentioned during 16 and Pregnant that one of the reasons she chose Teresa is because Teresa had said in her adoption binder that once they had kids, she would stay home with them. I think Teresa is probably the person Cate would most like to emulate.

Being a stay at home mom is not financially feasible for everyone, but it actually COULD have been for Cate had they made better long term spending/investment decisions. Not everyone desires a high powered career and staying at home with your kids is a noble calling- but regardless, whether you want to work or stay home, you need to have a plan in place. All these girls are just winging it and may have enough saved up to last a year or two without another MTV check, but eventually, they're going to be broke.

• Love 7

Oh absolutely. I get that. I've pretty much always wanted to be a SAHM when I had my kids. And I was able to. My husband is very skilled in his trade (neither of us were interested in college) and makes a decent amount of money. We're not well off, but we live fairly comfortably. And part of that is that I'm just very wise with the money we do have. So yea, right now Cate CAN stay home. But is MTV still going to be carting these people around in 10 years when Nova needs braces and wants to go to camp, etc? If they still are, I'll eat my hat. But I just wish some of these people had more foresight. 

• Love 2

So I get that just having their own place, alone, with no drama is a big thing for them. I just wish they weren't resting on their laurels and were working hard to be able to keep their home, or maybe even upgrade, by investing in an education or trade that will get them somewhere in life.

This is what I have posted myself. It's not enough to just buy a home and think it will take care of itself. What about the long run? What about future repairs? Homeowner's insurance? I imagine Cate and Tyler owning a home much like I see some young people who buy a car and then reality sets in when it comes time when it is in need of repairs and they don't have the money. C&T are not seeing the future. They are just sitting around thinking the gravy train is always going to be there for them.

I applauded Tyler's mom when she put him on blast about MTV not being a career because she spoke the truth. She surely knows more about what is going on then us. She seemed very worried.

• Love 5

Wow, I really hoped C & T owned that cheap-ass house, but now I'm not sure.

IMO, these girls are exorbitantly overpaid, but it still would have been nice for MTV to have someone give them some basic financial consulting.

• Love 4

I thought the same thing and was thinking she wasn't strapped into the seat. Hope we are wrong! :(.

Another thing is it seems whenever leah spends the night with amber, gary hands her a zip lock bag with several different medications. Even this time when she hadn't been to the doc yet. Either she is sick a lot or she is always on meds.

Leah had been to the doctor. She was given medication. Gary told Amber that Leah had a follow-up appointment. That is the appointment Amber didn't take Leah to because in her mind Leah was fine and didn't need to go. Gary said it was because Amber didn't want to pay the co-pay.

• Love 1
(edited)

Mortified by most of Amber's actions this episode. Take an obviously sick and crying child to your gross FantaSuite? Deciding on your own that you don't have to take your sick child to the doctor? Idiot. Matt remains gross, and that producer maintains her thinly veiled look of bewilderment and concern at anything that comes out of Gary and Amber's mouth. Poor woman should get a pay raise. And watching that conversation between Amber and her brother exasperated even me. How infuriating would it be to have a conversation with someone and every single time you try to say something they interrupt with "I AM listening, but - " Though by the end it did seem like she absorbed a bit of what he was saying.

Maci is boring, even with a dog. So she's getting a new house, a new dog, and a new baby with this guy and still has to strong arm him into proposing? Why do none of these girls have self esteem? Maci, Cate and Farrah are practically begging this dudes to marry them when these guys CLEARLY, even to a viewer, have no interest. Simon wasn't even that into Farrah, but when Sophia started slapping and saying weird shit to him, you could almost see him check out mentally. "What do you think about us?" "I don't know." No eye contact, mumbling, great communication. I don't know which is worse, having a creeper like Matt attach himself to you or have to plead  with some loser to attach himself to you.

Sophia is a little monster, and while I laughed at her ruining her Mom's game, that's what Farrah gets for raising a kid with no manners.  Simon wanted nothing to do with either of them by the end of his trip. She compained he was crabby, yeah, because you refuse to parent your kid and he is obviously bothering the poor guy. Simon told Sophia 'no' more than Farrah ever has in the entire TM run. That last car ride was SO AWKWARD. And the producer's face trying to remain pointedly unemotional during it was equal parts comedy and cringe. Glad the season's over so I don't have to hear "babe" again. Very telling when she asked what was on his mind and he proceeded to grab her vagina. No wonder he was avoiding her calls by the end.

Also I just can't with Tyler's sunglasses. Who told him they look good? They both seemed pretty disappointed that the segment on The Doctors was so quick. I'd tell them to get used to it, if they keep getting booked at all. Listening to them talk to the Mom about "I'm sure Teresa's just wondering how to introduce Nova" and "It would be good for you two to reconnect again" just seemed painfully delusional. Brandon and Teresa aren't wrestling with anything, Carly is just getting older and they have already started limiting the amount of time Cate and Tyler get to see her, which I think is healthy. No reason to introduce even more far flung people that have no bearing on her life.

Ryan doesn't seem so bad lately, but he was definitely on something in that diner scene. His eyes O_O

Edited by mywinston
  • Love 9

Ok guess I missed that part :). Didn't realize it was a follow up that Amber canceled. Thanks.

You do make a good point though, it seems like he's got a zip lock full of medicine an awful lot when Amber comes to pick up Leah. Is the kid sick that often, or did they film a whole bunch of overnight pickups in the same short time frame or something?  I had constant ear infections when I was a kid until I had tubes put into my ears, so I wonder if Leah's headed that direction too. I can't remember what all her illnesses have been.

• Love 1

Farrah? Ugh. Why was Sophia bouncing around the backseat of that car? She even switched seats and belts during the drive.

I am surprised there wasnt any outrage this week about Sophia not being in a carseat. Last week the internet was burning Ryan at the stake for only "sometimes" making Bentley use one.

Regarding Leah being sick so often - do Gary or Amber smoke? My sister smokes around her kids and they are ALWAYS SICK.

• Love 4
(edited)

Regarding Leah being sick so often - do Gary or Amber smoke? My sister smokes around her kids and they are ALWAYS SICK.

Apparently Gary recently bought (rented?) a house he's been working on. He was looking for advice regarding cleaning walls of rooms that have been smoked in. He seemed disgusted by it so I'd guess he doesn't. Not a clue about Amber and her creepy boyfriend.

I haven't seen the episode yet. Did she not know she would have Leah, so she became part of the trip? Or, was it just something she had to include her in for no good reason at all? I think I would have cancelled the trip.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3

Apparently Gary recently bought (rented?) a house he's been working on. He was looking for advice regarding cleaning walls of rooms that have been smoked in. He seemed disgusted by it so I'd guess he doesn't. Not a clue about Amber and her creepy boyfriend..

I have a feeling Amber does smoke, based purely on my own assumptions and intuition. Addicts often replace one addiction with another, and I can see her reasoning that cigarettes don't get you high, so they aren't as harmful as drugs. I also doubt Gary smokes, based on the stereotype that smokers are usually on the thinner side. For all the things MTV shows, they seem to go out of their way to hide smoking cigarettes. We know Jenelle smokes, I think Leah Messer smokes. I think Kailyn used to smoke maybe? Not sure. Catelynn definitely smoked/smokes and so does Tyler. Maci might too, I'm not sure. I feel like I saw someone from teen mom og holding a box of cigarettes in a recent episode, but I don't remember who it was.

• Love 1
(edited)

Strange, on some other MTV shows, such as True Life, people are shown smoking. I remember when the tabloids caught Leah Messer smoking while 8 months pregnant. Tyler and Cate smoke. Here is proof:

http://starcasm.net/archives/94423

I am surprised there wasnt any outrage this week about Sophia not being in a carseat.

Last week the internet was burning Ryan at the stake for only "sometimes" making Bentley use one.

She is five. She would need a booster seat, not a car seat. Besides, there was too much other shit going on that was just as horrible and outrageous such as Farrah pushing her daughter's head into Simon's lap - a guy that Sophia has never met and then forcing that same guy to put his arms and hand onto Sophia. Beyond creepy and just insane. Farrah better be careful her next boyfriend isn't some predator.  Then, there was Amber and Matt taking Leah to that fantasy sex hotel. Beyond a doubt, Leah slept in the same bed with Amber and Matt.

Ryan was in a crash. You'd think after that happening, he would see how putting a child in a booster seat is important, especially after Maci's accident, but he didn't. I think we have a reason to be outraged at that asshole.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 6
(edited)

I am surprised there wasnt any outrage this week about Sophia not being in a carseat. Last week the internet was burning Ryan at the stake for only "sometimes" making Bentley use one.

I didn't realize there was a score card on what we comment about here. Must we comment on every single thing that happened on the show? I barely have time to come here and post, much less trying to remember every single thing that happened with these nut jobs.

As for Ryan, wasn't he in a car accident? Wasn't Bentley just involved in a car accident during that episode? It was the only storyline Maci had during that episode and the only scene Ryan was involved in was the discussion about car seats. I think it is obvious why there was some discussion here about that topic.

Leah being sick all the time, not sure that I see it that way. I think she had a cough and was given cough medicine in one episode and she was given some antibiotics for an ear infection, I believe, which she would have had to finish in order for it to work. I don't see it as her always being sick. My oldest was always getting ear infections and one of my other kids always got a cough around winter time that lasted for almost two weeks.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 1

Simon told Sophia 'no' more than Farrah ever has in the entire TM run. That last car ride was SO AWKWARD. And the producer's face trying to remain pointedly unemotional during it was equal parts comedy and cringe

She had classic "they don't pay me enough to put up with this shit" face.

• Love 3

Have there been after-shows lately? I don't have MTV on my cable line-up so I watch the shows online the day after they air, but I haven't been able to find any recently.  MTV hasn't posted an after-show video since episode 7.

Have there been after-shows lately? I don't have MTV on my cable line-up so I watch the shows online the day after they air, but I haven't been able to find any recently.  MTV hasn't posted an after-show video since episode 7.

I just know of the reunion shows coming up. There will be a part 1 and part 2; not sure how they came up with enough material for two from this meh season.

• Love 4

I didn't realize there was a score card on what we comment about here. Must we comment on every single thing that happened on the show? I barely have time to come here and post, much less trying to remember every single thing that happened with these nut jobs.

That's part of the beauty of these forums, IMHO.  People notice different things, and bring diverse opinions to the table. 

• Love 10

That  might explain why there are no more after-shows. They needed to save some talk and arguments for the reunion because really, what is there to discuss? I am over the Hatfields and the McCoys fight (Farrah and Maci).  At this point, I not only want Farrah and Maci off the show, I just want the damn show to stop already. This damn show is playing with my emotions!

Gonna ask this again, what happened to that scene with Farrah in the santa claus outfit that showed her big ass? Was that a preview episode? I am trying to figure out where that scene came from and why MTV didn't bothering airing it after all.

Gonna ask this again, what happened to that scene with Farrah in the santa claus outfit that showed her big ass? Was that a preview episode? I am trying to figure out where that scene came from and why MTV didn't bothering airing it after all.

MTV took mercy on us?

• Love 3

MTV took mercy on us?

No doubt. LOL 

Since not much of Farrah's ass and other sex adventures were shown, I wonder if MTV decided to remove any "questionable" scenes because of what Maci brought up?

I just remembered. It was during those stupid "Catch Up" episodes where the girls sat there and watched scenes of themselves play out. Farrah was sitting there with her parents and the producer, as they talked over various past scenes. Then, they showed scenes of what they are doing in the present and that is when Farrah was shown in that ridiculous outfit.

(edited)

I spent way more time than I should have trying to find this again (it was better than doing dishes, what can I say?). I couldn't even find it again anywhere. I vaguely remember it being on after she was fighting with/snapping at someone, but that doesn't narrow it down much. I even tried YouTube.  On YouTube I found the event that she went to including video of dancing/stripping, but I couldn't find the part that MTV aired anywhere. Weird. Maybe they made it disappear after Maci's complaining.  Or maybe my search skills are getting rusty, or my brain is trying to protect itself after seeing the event video on YouTube (it was disturbing! ETA - not disturbing because of the dancing/stripping, because I really don't care that much, but disturbing because it was Farrah and I kept remembering how distressed her daughter was about the whole thing).

Edited by NikSac

I've been thinking about Catelynn and Tyler probably far too much...and should be asleep, but I am not.

I have a unique perspective here as my older brother is adopted and I am my parents' biological child. My brother was adopted (or "placed" as C&T say) in 1979 and his adoption was fully closed. C&T keep referring to closed adoptions as the "the 1950s," but that is far from the case. Adoptions today can still be completely closed if one party agrees to it or it a parent is unfit to visit their biological child. It's not like all adoptions are happy go lucky calling each other being besties. 

My brother has biological siblings that don't know he exists (but he knows about them). For a long time, he didn't want to see his bio parents because he was angry at them. Carly may well not want to see C&T, it is totally her choice. She may also want to pursue a relationship with Nova, but she also may not want to. It is hard to read this far in advance what their relationship is going to be. 

Also, growing up as a bio child with an adopted sibling, there were definitely sibling rivalry dynamics and jealousy on both sides. Now that we're adults, we can see the situation rationally, but when you're vying for your parents' attention, you don't see things so clearly. Because of this, I think it is a very bad idea to introduce Carly to Nova when they are both so young. When Carly is a bit older and says, "Yes, I want to meet my bio siblings." then it makes sense. But already they are setting them up to resent one another hardcore.

I know Brandon and Teresa have another child they have adopted. Depending on that child's dynamics with his/her bio parents, there may also be resentment between that child and Carly because Carly's parents appear to want her so badly (whereas many bio parents are totally unfit/appear disinterested in their bio child). I feel like introducing all of these people when Carly is freaking 5 is just too much. Let her wait until she's able to vocalize that she wants to meet these clowns, then she can know her grandfather is the glorious mullet that is Butch.

• Love 8