Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Such a terrible tragedy, and it could have been mitigated.  I think the bank manager who called the cops DESPITE the victim telling her not to, before the kidnappers had even left, she is probably re-living this every day since.  Shame on the cops for the comedy of errors, you COULD HAVE SAVED THOSE PEOPLE!!!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure where to post about this special, but, I suppose it could come under this thread, because it's about Dog the Bounty Hunter and his show/job is about hunting criminals.  I've searched all over and can find no thread on this site for him. his show or the special.  Odd.   Anyway, there was a special last night about his wife's cancer and surgery.  I am DYING to discuss it.  I need someone who has actually had cancer to give a REAL perspective on it.  I've NEVER SEEN anything like it in a true life or fictional account.  It was bizarre is an understatement.  Since, I know there are a lot of insightful and well versed posters on this thread, any suggestion would be appreciated.  

http://www.aetv.com/blog/news/ae-network-to-premiere-two-hour-special-dog-and-beth-fight-of-their-lives-nov-27-at-9p

I watched this on my DVR this afternoon and would also like to read some discussion about it.  I haven't had cancer and I'm not a fan of the Chapman's.  However, I will agree that "bizzare" is an understatement and I'd like to know if my negative impressions were the norm or if their fans have a different view.

• Love 1

Okay, this "Village of the Damned" show about the town of Dryden is super freaking eerie. And it's only the first episode. That poor family. What a tragedy. And at Christmastime, too, no less. 

I'm so nervous about how the story with the missing child turns out. Obviously it'll be bad, but I'm dreading learning just how bad :(. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, MonicaM said:

I watched this on my DVR this afternoon and would also like to read some discussion about it.  I haven't had cancer and I'm not a fan of the Chapman's.  However, I will agree that "bizzare" is an understatement and I'd like to know if my negative impressions were the norm or if their fans have a different view.

I was thinking the SAME thing.  I haven't had cancer and so perhaps, I have no right to make any comment on a person who has had it, but, I will say that in my entire life, I have never seen in real life, nor on any reality show, nor in any fiction piece on tv, ANYTHING like what I witnessed in that special.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.  For most of the special, I sat with my mouth open.  I've known who these people were for many years and even used to watch the show a little, but, had no real opinion of them lately, but, OMG.  This was odd.  Of course, I wish anyone who has cancer well wishes and good health.  I still would like more perspectives on what they witnessed.  I'm glad to know it's not just me who thought it was bizarre.  

Do you think it will pick up any action if I start a thread for it in the TV SPECIALS forum here?  Apparently,, not many watched it, but, OMG.  I would say that it is quite something to see.  I don't really know what words describe it, besides, odd and bizarre.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was thinking the SAME thing.  I haven't had cancer and so perhaps, I have no right to make any comment on a person who has had it, but, I will say that in my entire life, I have never seen in real life, nor on any reality show, nor in any fiction piece on tv, ANYTHING like what I witnessed in that special.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.  For most of the special, I sat with my mouth open.  I've known who these people were for many years and even used to watch the show a little, but, had no real opinion of them lately, but, OMG.  This was odd.  Of course, I wish anyone who has cancer well wishes and good health.  I still would like more perspectives on what they witnessed.  I'm glad to know it's not just me who thought it was bizarre.  

Do you think it will pick up any action if I start a thread for it in the TV SPECIALS forum here?  Apparently,, not many watched it, but, OMG.  I would say that it is quite something to see.  I don't really know what words describe it, besides, odd and bizarre.  

I didn't watch, because Dog & Beth make me cringe.  But I am ever so curious about whatever it was that was so bizarre, so I'd read the thread.  ;-)

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Okay, this "Village of the Damned" show about the town of Dryden is super freaking eerie. And it's only the first episode. That poor family. What a tragedy. And at Christmastime, too, no less. 

I'm so nervous about how the story with the missing child turns out. Obviously it'll be bad, but I'm dreading learning just how bad :(. 

Yeah - I have no idea where this story is going, but I am not going to spoil myself by looking it up.  I hope the show doesn't disappoint, like so many others have.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. The Beth Chapman cancer special, it reairs this Saturday at noon on A&E, just in case anyone wants to catch it.  Also, I may start a thread on it, later.  I just got busy and may not have time right now. 

I may never forgive you if you don't satisfy my curiosity, and I end up having to watch these two grotesques.   '-D

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, Lizzing said:

The up close & personal dental work was a bit much though.  I can watch all the crime scene photos they throw at me, but teeth drilling causes me to look away.

I always turn the TV to "guide" and check the schedule, when Dr. Now is cutting open the 600 Lbers.

20 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

FYI - People Magazine Investigates actually has a forum, with episode threads (thanks, @Drogo)  here.

ETA - I posted there, because the poor little forum looked sad and neglected, and it deserves some attention, too!   ;-D

Nope. With many shows covering the same cases, what's the point?

I got bored with The Vanishing Women. I was so excited about too. While I have a great deal of sympathy for the victims and their loved ones, they all led such high-risk lives it seems blaming a serial killer is a huge leap from the more logical explanation of violence related to their lifestyles. None of it seemed as obvious to me as, for instance, the West Mesa prostitute murders or even LISK. Did they ever put it all together? 

Edited by bubbls
10 hours ago, KellsBells said:

I can't believe ANOTHER Scott Peterson special is on ID. He's everywhere and there's no more new to the story. 

Preach!  A new crime is being committed every few seconds, yet all the true crime shows we watch on all the different channels can't stop re-hashing the same damned crimes ... over, and over, and over again.

I demand FRESH BLOOD, dammit!  :-)

• Love 19
20 hours ago, KellsBells said:

I can't believe ANOTHER Scott Peterson special is on ID. He's everywhere and there's no more new to the story. 

Didn't watch, but saw a clip of that Ted Rollins blabbing again how there is no physical evidence. Give it up dude! There is a mountain of circumstantial evidence plus he had enough time to cover his tracks. 

• Love 10
On 11/29/2017 at 7:31 PM, KellsBells said:

Quoting my own post from a couple of days ago to say that I just saw an advertisement for a three-part show on Jodi Arias that's going to air in January. Three parts on Jodi Arias???? I don't want to see three minutes of Jodi Arias! Let her rot in peace, already!

• Love 11

I see they have one on Tupac now, but like both Petersons, Jon-Bennet, and Menendez brothers, I remember the coverage, and don't care to watch.
One case I'd like to see an update on, is the highway of tears, in British Columbia, where all those girls have been killed, hitchhiking.  They've caught at least one killer, but they believe there've been more than one, through the years.
I watched a really interesting one, Grave Secrets maybe, about the social worker who was killed in her car.  A true whodunit.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, auntjess said:

One case I'd like to see an update on, is the highway of tears, in British Columbia, where all those girls have been killed, hitchhiking.  They've caught at least one killer, but they believe there've been more than one, through the years.

Sort of related, is Viceland's Woman episode "The Missing First Nations Women".   https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/canada-the-missing-first-nations/5720e9735ee98e4a2cbc0e0d

• Love 3

Thanks, I'll look for it on the schedule, as I hate to watch anything long at my computer (desktop).
That would  be the case.  You kept thinking that the government could have done do much more to help, traffic cams, maybe funds for a bus route, or even help to set up a jitney.

OK, just checked and it's on Wed. morning, 12/6, and I've set it to record!  Thanks again.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

LOVE the above!

Excited about the next two epis of Murder Made Me Famous: Susan Smith and Yolanda Saldivar!

Also, I know most people are over Jodi, and the Menendez Brothers, but a two-epi show starts tonight on Reelz and Erik Menendez Talks starts on A&E!

Edited by punkypower
Got too excited and put wrong network
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, punkypower said:

LOVE the above!

Excited about the next two epis of Murder Made Me Famous: Susan Smith and Yolanda Saldivar!

Also, I know most people are over Jodi, and the Menendez Brothers, but a two-epi show starts tonight on Reelz and Erik Menendez Talks starts on A&E!

I just watched part one of Menedez Talks.  I honestly believe that he's convinced himself that all his and Lyle's defense lawyer, Leslie Abrahamson, said was the truth in the first trial.  

I've heard it all before.   But there was one thing Erik said -- he'd lock his bedroom door but dad would keep knocking and demanding to be let in.  Ummm, if that was true, why didn't dad have the lock removed?  Oh, and Erik's heartfelt soliloquy didn't change my mind - beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty.  

• Love 7

Yup, I was very disappointed in the first episode. More of L&O: True Crime blaming the victims. The one thing that got me was the full crime scene with Josè and Kitty. Holy crepe!! I don't want to get in trouble, can I post a link to it? 

I apologize about the Arias special. My only problem with Reelz is that they constantly repackage their shows under different titles.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, punkypower said:

LOVE the above!

When are those two episodes on? I don't see it on my guide. 

• Love 1

The Menendez Murders: Erik Tells All is on A&E. Just looked at my guide and they will replay the first episode tomorrow at 2pm CST.

Reelz snowed me. They named it Jodi Arias: What Really Happened, but it was just their Murder Made Me Famous with a new name. However, ID will have a special, Jodi Arias Revealed, on 12/14.

I watched the Susan Smith MMMF and it just angry. I was 16 at the time and my first real experience with a national media murder case. I don't care what her background was, I still tear up and wish her death when I see those sweet babies!

Your Worst Nightmare on ID started up again for its fourth season last night on ID. 

The Dating Game Killer starts tonight on ID.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, punkypower said:

I watched the Susan Smith MMMF and it just angry. I was 16 at the time and my first real experience with a national media murder case. I don't care what her background was, I still tear up and wish her death when I see those sweet babies!

I was 10 when that case broke, and I have very vague memories of hearing about it on TV. I remember hearing about how, when my mom and my grandma were watching Susan tearfully begging on TV for people to help find her kids, my grandma immediately said, "She did it." 

Caught the "Your Worst Nightmare" episode on TV last night. Weird, creepy case. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I was 10 when that case broke, and I have very vague memories of hearing about it on TV. I remember hearing about how, when my mom and my grandma were watching Susan tearfully begging on TV for people to help find her kids, my grandma immediately said, "She did it." 

Caught the "Your Worst Nightmare" episode on TV last night. Weird, creepy case. 

My mother said the same thing. She had trouble believing Susan's story, it didn't make sense. But it was watching Susan tearful and begging was what made her certain Susan killed them. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

my mom and my grandma were watching Susan tearfully begging on TV for people to help find her kids, my grandma immediately said, "She did it." 

That was my exact comment.  She was lying, and I could see it.  Horrible woman.

• Love 10

Who cast Jack Black as Rodney Alcala?   Just kidding, but this chubby guy, really?  Looks nothing like him and his wigs scream low budget.  Unbelievable how stupid the psychologists, parole board and judges can be.   

• Love 11
18 hours ago, punkypower said:

Yup, I was very disappointed in the first episode. More of L&O: True Crime blaming the victims. The one thing that got me was the full crime scene with Josè and Kitty. Holy crepe!! I don't want to get in trouble, can I post a link to it? 

If you don't post a link to it in this thread can you PM it to me?

I recorded it, but deleted it almost immediately afterward.

Even the guy playing Jim Lange looked nothing like him, though I noticed he pronounced "Alcala" the same way Jim did(AL-ca-la instead of Al-CAL-a).

Plus the documentary they aired after it was a rehash of the 48 Hours episode.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3

I watched most of the Dating Game Killer, but, I actually liked the documentary about it that came on afterwards much better.  I'd actually skip the movie and watch the documentary, if I had it to do over.   It was a CRAZY case.  That's for sure.  So much damage done even after he could have been stopped.  He seemed too clumsy and off to be so adept to killing.  It was really like nothing I have ever seen before.  I suppose he reminded me a little of Charles Manson, but, he had the ability to do hands on murder, unlike Manson.  But, both were blood thirsty.  I can't believe that I was not familiar with this serial killer.  I've been a reader/viewer of true crime for many years, so that was surprising.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I watched most of the Dating Game Killer, but, I actually liked the documentary about it that came on afterwards much better.  I'd actually skip the movie and watch the documentary, if I had it to do over.   It was a CRAZY case.  That's for sure.  So much damage done even after he could have been stopped.  He seemed too clumsy and off to be so adept to killing.  It was really like nothing I have ever seen before.  I suppose he reminded me a little of Charles Manson, but, he had the ability to do hands on murder, unlike Manson.  But, both were blood thirsty.  I can't believe that I was not familiar with this serial killer.  I've been a reader/viewer of true crime for many years, so that was surprising.  

Here is a good link for the photos.  Share with as many people as you can; many of these girls are unidentified.

Possible victims of Rodney Alcala

• Love 2

I think it's interesting how there is a DNA database for family members who have missing people in their family where they can contribute samples for linking them to the DNA of recovered remains.  It's heartbreaking, but, at least they are able to find out what happened and where they were found, even many years ago. 

• Love 5
On 12/2/2017 at 8:40 PM, Otter said:

I just watched part one of Menedez Talks.  I honestly believe that he's convinced himself that all his and Lyle's defense lawyer, Leslie Abrahamson, said was the truth in the first trial.  

I've heard it all before.   But there was one thing Erik said -- he'd lock his bedroom door but dad would keep knocking and demanding to be let in.  Ummm, if that was true, why didn't dad have the lock removed?  Oh, and Erik's heartfelt soliloquy didn't change my mind - beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty.  

I watched this, I would have an easier time believing the brothers were abused if Eric wasn't insisting to this day that he was in immediate fear for his life when they shot their parents.  I just don't believe that at all.  I could believe that he was afraid the abuse would never stop and that was his motivation, but he's still saying that Jose and Kitty were gonna kill him that night and there's just no way.  They were watching tv.  They weren't going to kill their kids.

• Love 7
On 11/21/2017 at 11:13 AM, walnutqueen said:

I am assuming that would be a "yes", although how they found my barn at the back of 30 wooded acres when not even my closest friends could see my Coleman lantern light from the road is yet another mystery.

Manson was a magnet for unstable people at that time.  Apparently, so was I, but the majority of the unstable people I attracted had very good "hearts and souls".  Those 30 acres also attracted the very BEST that ever described "hippies" - people so honest and giving and loving that they totally won over my straight-laced parents forever.  The barn walls that could've been painted with my blood by Mansonites actually held a wondrous connection between the generations and classes, like nothing else I've ever witnessed.  So it's all good.  ;-)

Wow!  Chilling story.  Good for those bikers!  You were almost infamous. 

I am an old hippie, too. :^)

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, partofme said:

I watched this, I would have an easier time believing the brothers were abused if Eric wasn't insisting to this day that he was in immediate fear for his life when they shot their parents.  I just don't believe that at all.  I could believe that he was afraid the abuse would never stop and that was his motivation, but he's still saying that Jose and Kitty were gonna kill him that night and there's just no way.  They were watching tv.  They weren't going to kill their kids.

I agree. I'm not sure why he says that.  I do believe the abuse, but, not that the parents were going to kill them.  I wonder if he has to say that, to support a self defense claim.  Like, if he thought his life was in immediate danger, then self defense or justifiable homicide would be a defense. But, it just doesn't ring true for me and detracts from the real facts of sexual abuse.  Maybe, there is some psychological reason for this belief.  Then, there was the crazy spending after the death.  All of it just screamed, we are the killers.  To be so smart, they sure were ignorant in their actions.  Which, I suppose, might indicate that there wasn't a lot of pre-planning.  They sure didn't seem to use a lot of expertise.  Would they have been caught, if they didn't spend like crazy and confess to the therapist? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I watched the Manson doc "Inside the mind of a madman" on History last night. It's just the first episode, but I think this may be one of the better ones the channel has done. It actually had some new info, stuff I hadn't heard before, which is surprising. I'm not all that surprised, though, that younger people aren't familiar with the case, it's been almost 50 years. My nephew, who is 29, started watching the OJ mini-series that was on earlier this year ( it's now on Netflix) and he told he, other than just generally knowing about the murders, he didn't know any real details of the case. He really didn't even know that OJ was such a superstar in his football days, and this kid is kind of a sports nut ! I just think it's kind of a generational thing, even the chase and stuff happened when he was just a kid, so it's not as ingrained in his memory the way it is us older folks. Now that he's getting older, he's watching all these shows about history and I get to spout off all my trivia about it to someone who hasn't heard it a million times !

I'm not sure how many episodes History is doing on Manson, but if they keep up the quality of the 1st episode, it'll be worth watching.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:s

Here is a link for the Manson show.  Man, it looks very intense.  I may check it out. Thanks for the tip. 

http://www.history.com/shows/manson-speaks-inside-the-mind-of-a-madman

ooohhhhh--I thought it was a total snoozefest.  It was 4 hours and could have been told in 2. Totally disappointed.  I did, however, buy the Helter Skelter DVD and was blown away totally. Both actors hit home runs out of the park...no, zip code.

• Love 2

I’m sick of the Menendez brothers, sick of Charles Manson, sick of Scott Peterson... get off my screen!! (rant over)

I just watched the show about the Clutter family murders, and it wasn’t until watching it that I found out they had two older daughters who were elsewhere when the family was murdered. Those two were literally forgotten in all the hoopla and the old movie “In Cold Blood.”

I’m also watching “Village of the Damned” about a small town in NY which has had a LOT of murders in a ten year time span.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m sick of the Menendez brothers, sick of Charles Manson, sick of Scott Peterson... get off my screen!! (rant over)

I just watched the show about the Clutter family murders, and it wasn’t until watching it that I found out they had two older daughters who were elsewhere when the family was murdered. Those two were literally forgotten in all the hoopla and the old movie “In Cold Blood.”

I’m also watching “Village of the Damned” about a small town in NY which has had a LOT of murders in a ten year time span.

Oh yeah. I watched episode one of Village of the Damned. (Odd title, but, I liked it.)  I can't recall when episode two airs.  Previews looked promising. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh yeah. I watched episode one of Village of the Damned. (Odd title, but, I liked it.)  I can't recall when episode two airs.  Previews looked promising. 

The second episode will air tonight :). 

I'm intrigued by the series, too. That idea that a small town can have THAT many violent crimes in such a short time span is creepy and curious. 

• Love 3