Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 12/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

If Village of the Damned is carrying their stories in chronological order, then, I wonder why in this last story, there were doors left unlocked.  The town had had an entire family slaughtered by a stranger who came into the home.  And yet these girls didn't lock their doors?

I watched this on ID Go today, and I had the same question. The story about the baby was awful, I knew the mother had killed her. I really wish she’d gotten more time in prison.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I really wish she’d gotten more time in prison.

Yeah, I'm kinda starting to wonder about the police/court system in this area. In the case with the family being murdered, a police officer had fudged evidence. The woman who killed her baby didn't serve much time in jail. And in tonight's episode, which picks up from where they left off last week, they're interviewing the guy who stabbed another man to death...and he's clearly not in prison.

No wonder the townspeople felt unsafe. 

• Love 6

I don't know what happened with this guy who looks to be out of prison. I haven't read ahead.  I suppose he got a new trial and found not guilty or had success with a mental defense or maybe, he served a sentence and got out.  I personally know someone who got life for a murder committed when they were 19-20 and they got out of prison while in their 40's.  I think the defendant in Village of the Damned was rather young at the time of murder.  It will be interesting to see how this series goes.  I wonder how many people still live there.

• Love 1

I’ll put this in spoiler tags in case anyone wants to wait until tonight.

Spoiler

I looked the guy up, and he got new attorneys who petitioned the court for his release due to not getting adequate counsel. His first appeal was denied but I couldn’t find anything out farther than that.

The guy in Dryden who got out of prison still seems a little angry about the whole deal, which struck me as weird.  The woman he married is pretty,  possibly a hybristophiliac.   I see jealousy ahead, uh oh.    

And now the other guy who doesn't like getting dumped and breaks in with a weapon!  WTF is with these guys?    

I looked up the town to find the population - 14,000 in 2010 - and found this:
TV Series giving Dryden a "bad name"?

"Believe it or not, some residents of Dryden, NY, take issue with Investigation Discovery calling their community Village of the Damned. In fact, more than 3,400 people have signed a petition asking the cable channel to stop the limited series of that name, which the petition authors view as “voyeurism of human suffering and tragedy.”

Not big fans of the First Amendment apparently.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Love 8

Did anyone see The Eighties on ID this week?? I hate the music but have liked quite a few of the episodes.  This case was about a 13 year old who went missing in small town Minnesota.  I think it was after Johnny Goucsh(sp.) who had gone missing in Iowa.

It has really bothered me. Her mom left and Dad got a new wife with a lot of children, 10 total.  Sarah was not really liked by her stepmother and mostly stayed after school to avoid going home. She was favored by her dad. Dad lead the search and wanted to set up a program for missing kids. I think after John Walsh.

Turns out he killed because she did not want have sex with him. Creep. I was really broken up about this. A young girl with no one in her corner. Too sad. These are the kinds of stories that I get haunted by. She was all alone. Heartbreaking. Dad got life. In an interview several years ago he stated he didn't think of her much.

This is when I think there is a hell and he will be there.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, applecrisp said:

Did anyone see The Eighties on ID this week?? I hate the music but have liked quite a few of the episodes.  This case was about a 13 year old who went missing in small town Minnesota.  I think it was after Johnny Goucsh(sp.) who had gone missing in Iowa.

It has really bothered me. Her mom left and Dad got a new wife with a lot of children, 10 total.  Sarah was not really liked by her stepmother and mostly stayed after school to avoid going home. She was favored by her dad. Dad lead the search and wanted to set up a program for missing kids. I think after John Walsh.

Turns out he killed because she did not want have sex with him. Creep. I was really broken up about this. A young girl with no one in her corner. Too sad. These are the kinds of stories that I get haunted by. She was all alone. Heartbreaking. Dad got life. In an interview several years ago he stated he didn't think of her much.

^^^YES!  I still can't stop thinking about it, either.  I was trying to catch some of the news articles and I thought one of them read that he had raped her for 5 years...which meant it started when she was EIGHT YEARS OLD!  Oh my God that poor child.  I'm surprised that her friends said she was outgoing and friendly and good in school.  I would not have been surprised if they described her as withdrawn and sad.  That follow up interview with him was abhorrent - I too hope he burns in hell for what he put his own daughter through.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Razzberry said:

The woman he married is pretty,  possibly a hybristophiliac

She didn’t speak, and her name being Alexandria, I immediately thought she might be Russian and has no clue about her husband’s true past. Until this show aired.

I’ve been watching “The 80’s, The Deadliest Decade”, is that the same show you’re talking about, @applecrisp, @TheGreenWave? I  missed the one about the 8-yr-old, if it’s the same show. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I’ve been watching “The 80’s, The Deadliest Decade”, is that the same show you’re talking about, @applecrisp, @TheGreenWave? I  missed the one about the 8-yr-old, if it’s the same show. 

Yes - she was actually 13 when her father murdered her, but had been raped since she was 8 - it is the "Milk Carton Murder" of Sarah Rairdon

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Razzberry said:

The guy in Dryden who got out of prison still seems a little angry about the whole deal, which struck me as weird.  The woman he married is pretty,  possibly a hybristophiliac.   I see jealousy ahead, uh oh.    

And now the other guy who doesn't like getting dumped and breaks in with a weapon!  WTF is with these guys?    

Yeah,  I was side-eyeing the guy during his interview. The way he talked about how he understands he's getting to live a life that the guy he killed didn't get to lived...it felt kinda...rehearsed? Just something about the tone of his voice bothered me. And watching him get married was creepy. I kept looking at his wife going, "Um, do you know his past?" 

The story about the stalkery teenager is creepy, too. Yeesh. 

1 hour ago, applecrisp said:

Oh, god, that case was so horrifying. It sadly didn't surprise me to hear him say he didn't think of her much in that interview clip-anyone who can abuse and murder their own child like that, yeah, I imagine they don't have any sort of conscience keeping them up at night haunting them about their crimes, no. 

I like the song they use for the theme for that show, myself. I think it makes things a little more eerie, somehow. 

• Love 6

I just finally got a chance to see both Final Vision and the People Magazine investigation about Jeffrey McDonald. I remember reading Fatal Vision years ago, as well as seeing stories about the murders, but didn't remember all that much. I have no doubt he's guilty, but I have another interesting theory. He says he had just finished a 24-hour shift AND he was trying to bulk up for a boxing match. Plus, that syringe supposedly found in a closet. Suppose this was a combination of resentment for being tied down, sleep deprivation and 'roid rage? 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah,  I was side-eyeing the guy during his interview. The way he talked about how he understands he's getting to live a life that the guy he killed didn't get to lived...it felt kinda...rehearsed? Just something about the tone of his voice bothered me

It may sound rehearsed, but for men who’ve been incarcerated for 20 years, they’ve been taught how to talk, walk, etc., the entire time they’ve been in prison. It’s a “natural” way for ex-prisoners. If that makes any sense at all.  My husband has counseled many men who were incarcerated and/or addicts, and he said the guy sounded like he was toeing the straight and narrow.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know what happened with this guy who looks to be out of prison. I haven't read ahead.  I suppose he got a new trial and found not guilty or had success with a mental defense or maybe, he served a sentence and got out.  I personally know someone who got life for a murder committed when they were 19-20 and they got out of prison while in their 40's.  I think the defendant in Village of the Damned was rather young at the time of murder.  It will be interesting to see how this series goes.  I wonder how many people still live there.

This is the second episode I watched and I find it super boring. The stories are told in such a dragged out, lugubrious way that it sort of takes all of the drama out of what, inherently, are dramatic stories. Or should be, anyway. 

Edited by KellsBells
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

It may sound rehearsed, but for men who’ve been incarcerated for 20 years, they’ve been taught how to talk, walk, etc., the entire time they’ve been in prison. It’s a “natural” way for ex-prisoners. If that makes any sense at all.  My husband has counseled many men who were incarcerated and/or addicts, and he said the guy sounded like he was toeing the straight and narrow.

Hm. That's a good point. I never really thought about that, but that would certainly make sense. 

I hope he is genuinely willing to turn over a new leaf, not just for his own sake but that of his family. Anything's possible, and there are criminals who can change their ways. I totally understand the woman who witnessed the murder being fearful over him being free, too, though. I hope she can find her own peace with everything as well. 

• Love 4

Yeah, I get why you would be terrified of a murderer being released, but, I think that not all are still dangerous. Of course, do they deserve to have a life after doing that?  I guess it depends on the circumstances. 

I have grown weary of those shows where there are MANY red flags of trouble ahead, but, they are ignored, tragedy ensues and then the family, friends, colleagues, etc. act all shocked. I mean, why be so shocked.?  When a person is violent, cruel, abusive and hell bent on torturing people and animals, why are they surprised when he kills someone? It's pretty easy to predict things like that.  I don't have much patience for it. 

Last night on Village of the Damned, we didn't see how the guy got into his girlfriend's house, but, if her dad, the coach, left the doors unlocked (even though his daughter is being stalked............I'm not even going to say it. 

Is it just me or do they (Village of the Damned) put the writing up on the screen for just a second or what.  I'm a rapid reader, but, that's just ridiculous. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Last night, we didn't see how the guy got into his girlfriend's house, but, if her dad, the coach, left the doors unlocked............I'm not even going to say it.

I know. None of these people lock their doors!!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

Well, if it's a safe town, you have an argument, but, the one who witnessed her friend get stabbed, said that their town was a place of fear and panic due to the horrible murders and then the next sentence said who would even think of locking their doors.  I mean.....that's messed up.  

• Love 5

We’ve got an ADT sign in the yard, visible cameras, a dog that barks at the wind... and we still lock all of our doors. And I’m in a town about the size of this one, and our crime rate isn’t bad (drugs, mostly, no one wants to work but they like to make money).

• Love 5

Last night on Village of the Damned, we didn't see how the guy got into his girlfriend's house, but, if her dad, the coach, left the doors unlocked (even though his daughter is being stalked............I'm not even going to say it. 

If you want to know now...

Spoiler

He shot the locks off the back door.

I assume they may reveal more about what led up to the incident next week.  I wish they would do one story per episode rather than setting each story up as a "to be continued".  I have no patience and I look stuff up, inadvertently discovering likely subjects of future episodes.

• Love 8

In addition to the method by which the teen killer got in the house being left out (or left for later reveal), the show also heavily implied that JP Merchant went to Dryden H.S., but he didn't.  He was from a town about 20 miles away and his former classmate's year books had the name of his actual high school (Homer Central).  So it is likely that all the details around his past girlfriend's death/his depression wasn't widely known in Dryden High, beyond what the waitress may have relayed quickly to Amber.  My point being that, a brief conversation with a waitress might not have spiked up Amber/her family's level of wariness as they probably should have been at the time they were still dating.  Clearly they were alarmed after the break up because 

Spoiler

Amber & her mother went to the cops a couple of times after the breakup because of JP's stalking behavior.

With regard to The 80's Deadliest Decade.

18 hours ago, TheGreenWave said:

I was trying to catch some of the news articles and I thought one of them read that he had raped her for 5 years...

I paused it every time they put up a news article, and I think one did say this.  But this episode did make me wary of the news "clipping" they put on screen because there were at least 4 "articles" that were really only headlines or maybe a sentence having to do with the case.  The rest was filled with the same 3 paragraphs about a book by a military person in Texas and about some kind of science courses offered at some kind of college...all had zero to do with the case.  It was just dummied up for the show, which struck me as irretrievably stupid since so many people can pause live TV and have HD.  

15 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

This drives me batty.  I've never even heard of a place where I wouldn't lock the doors.  Not a damn one.  Even if crime is low, you don't want Gladys Kravitz popping in while you're vacuuming in your undies.  Small towns always struck me as even worse than cities; they're nearly always described as "close knit" and "everybody knew everybody", which just translates to me "chock full of nosey bitches" thereby giving me even more reason to lock the door and buy block out shades. LOL!

• Love 10

After reading the comments, I was comfortable deleting another Dryden show unwatched.
I needed the space for my Catfish obsession, which is entertaining if you don't dwell about people like these running the world.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the movie and documentary afterwards on Jeffrey McDonald?  There was some discussion about it earlier.  I had not planned to watch, since I've about had my fill,, but, ended up watching most of it.  THEN I watched most of the documentary afterwards, because I knew most of those bring interviewed.  (Attorneys)  I've met Jim Blackburn (Prosecutor) several times and attended some of his presentations.  He's no longer an attorney.  not that it matters. (Long story.)  I was amused that Wade Smith was so adamant about Jeffrey's innocence.  I respect him a lot and while I disagree with him, I find it quite odd that he would know so much about the case, but, still think that Jeff  is innocent. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

I love that show! And know people who’ve been catfished.

But you despair of the world in the hands of people who have serious relationships with people they've never seen.  Hell, what do they care if there's a park to visit, if they can see one online.
I'd like it better if Max was the lead, because Nev was dumb enough to be catfished himself.

I watched that Murder in the Heartland, where the old lady was put in a wishing well, and it was refreshing to see people say that she was disagreeable, and that lots of people might have wanted to kill her.  
The murder was in 2008, so why was there no mention of trying to get forensic evidence from the duct tape--fingerprints, DNA, of matching tape ends--when they really had no forensic evidence otherwise.
The Unusual Suspects was in Maryland, where people sound like they should, and make me homesick.

• Love 5

Well, I think I've seen a new low on ID Discovery.  The step dad who shot his step daughter in the head, so that he could have sex with her corpse! OMG.  I don't recall the name of that particular show, but, what a bizarre story.  Two questions:  how did he get home after leaving his truck over in a particular area of town where he later picked it up.  He drove the victim's car there, after killing her and drove back in his truck that was parked nearby.  I never figured out how he got home after leaving his truck there AND when did he do it? The neighbor denied giving him a ride. That had to really be planned out.  What a monster.  Also, why was he wife screaming at him to tell it all to police when they came to arrest him?  Had he already told his wife the whole  story?  So odd.  I can't imagine how the wife of the killer feels that her husband did this to her daughter.  Why he picked a family member.....omg.  

• Love 7
On 12/15/2017 at 8:31 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I think I've seen a new low on ID Discovery.  The stepdad who shot his stepdaughter in the head, so that he could have sex with her corpse! OMG.  I don't recall the name of that particular show, but, what a bizarre story.

Was it See No Evil “Vanished at Noon” about the 2014 disappearance of 33-year-old Jessica Padgett in Pennsylvania? Gregory Graf murdered his stepdaughter, then recorded himself sexually assaulting her corpse. The jury (nine men and three women) took six minutes to convict.

The video was made up of eight recordings that were shot by Graf over a span of two hours using two cameras. During jury selection, one-fifth of the members of the jury pool were excused after they said they would be unable to watch it.

Jes’s mom, Danelle Bittner, was married to Graf for 17 years. She was in Florida at the time of the attack. As for the truck, “Graf had his pickup truck dropped off in the borough for maintenance at Harhart's Garage.”

• Love 6

I caught some 48 Hours reruns on ID about an Australian cult and ran across an investigator with what is possibly the best cop name ever: Lex de Man.  It's like his parents wanted him to be a cop or a lawyer, and there was no escaping his fate.  

• Love 11
On 12/14/2017 at 8:57 PM, cooksdelight said:

I love that show! And know people who’ve been catfished.

I saw a show on the TLC schedule, I Catfished My Kid.  An episode is set for 12/28.
https://tgroupproductions.com/i-catfished-my-kids/

On 12/15/2017 at 8:31 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I think I've seen a new low on ID Discovery.  The step dad who shot his step daughter in the head, so that he could have sex with her corpse! OMG. 

Don't remember either. I knew I'd seen it before, when she went to folks house to fax, so I just deleted it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I caught some 48 Hours reruns on ID about an Australian cult and ran across an investigator with what is possibly the best cop name ever: Lex de Man.  It's like his parents wanted him to be a cop or a lawyer, and there was no escaping his fate.  

That was such a wild story. I feel so bad for the people who didn't get to see Anne and her husband behind bars because of lack of proper evidence. Of course there weren't going to be multiple police reports-it was a freaking cult! Most of the victims weren't lucky enough to break away or get the opportunity to call out and report anything the way a couple of them managed to. And the couple times somebody did come out to investigate initially, Anne knew how to cover her tracks. So frustrating.

Re: the investigators, my favorite was the FBI agent who decided to join the mailman on their daily rounds as a means of covertly staking out that house in New York Anne had fled to, because she knew a regular ol' police stakeout would've stood out and given them away in such a rural area. Very clever. 

It was also interesting to see a woman being in total control of that kind of a cult. Normally it's men who have that kind of power-women might be involved in running things, but they're still usually in a subservient role. And yet Anne was just as cruel as many male cult leaders are. 

Also, those pictures and videos of the children all with light hair and similar clothing were creepy. Very 'Children of the Corn'-esque. 

• Love 6

Is anyone going to watch “The Family I Had” on Thursday? I am hoping I don’t hate the mother, the promos make it sound like she blames her son for every bad thing that has happened to her. He is obviously troubled, to have killed his sister, but he needs help. Not an overbearing mother blaming him constantly.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2017 at 8:44 AM, cooksdelight said:

When I was little and we lived in town, we didn’t lock our doors. Until one day my mother discovered sugar and flour missing. Then milk. It turned out to be the next door neighbor, helping herself. After that, doors were locked.

The same thing happened to us when I was young.  The woman next door would take bread from out freezer, one or two slices at a time!  So when my mother would go to get a loaf of bread it was often half a loaf.  Not too smart.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Is anyone going to watch “The Family I Had” on Thursday?

I decided to skip it, and not sure about the rest of the Village of the Damned.
Looks like there's no new Zodiac code until January.

• Love 1

I've got the dvr set for "The Family I Had" though the ads for it drive me nuts.  In particular, when (I think) the mom who says that "Paris fell in love" with his little sister the moment she came home from the hospital.  That always hits my ear weird; I mean, I love my sister but I'd never say I "fell in love" with her at any point in my life, nor would she about me.  It just sounds so odd and overcompensating, so I'm already giving the mom an eye roll.  But it is an actual documentary, so at least I hold out hope there aren't cheesy reenactments. 

• Love 3

Sounds like little Paris may have Burke Ramsey'd his sister, or maybe I've just been watching too many of these.  I flipped over to NatGeo for a change of pace and watched a doc about male chimps.    How at 15 years on they spend most of their time bullying and abusing the females.   Disheartening.

• Love 5

Well, I watched "The Family I Had" last night. Made by two independent filmmakers - it's definitely not your usual ID fare. I don't want to discuss the specifics for those who haven't seen it, but I will say that the story of inter-generational familial psychopaths, and the mother's denial (wrapped up in forgiveness), unfolded in a way that was absolutely chilling. So don't let those ads turn you off! It was fascinating.

Edited by Mannahatta
  • Love 12
55 minutes ago, Mannahatta said:

Well, I watched "The Family I Had" last night. Made by two independent filmmakers - it's definitely not your usual ID fare. I don't want to discuss the specifics for those who haven't seen it, but I will say that the story of inter-generational familial psychopaths, and the mother's denial (wrapped up in forgiveness), unfolded in a way that was absolutely chilling. So don't let those ads turn you off! It was fascinating.

Amen!  The Family That I Had  gave me a chill too.  OMG.  IMO, I thought that mom and grandmother were as messed up as the murdering boy.  None of them seem to have much insight or touch with reality.  The adult's let the little girl down by allowing the boy to have access to her, AFTER he had pulled a knife on his mom.  AND NOW, grandmother says that she thinks that Paris might still try to hurt his mother, BUT NOT the little boy, when he gets out of prison!  What's wrong with those people.  HOW IN THE world would any school, agency or group of any kind allow that mother to speak to their young people?  I bet her speaking career dries up after that documentary airs.  She seemed enthralled with listening to that 911 call from Paris after he stabbed his sister.  

I really wish there was some way to get the young son away from the mom and grandmother. He needs proper care givers.    I don't care what Paris does to them, when he gets out, but, he's going to be pretty ticked off, once he gets word of how mom has torn up all his cards and letters to the younger brother.  That little boy should not have to be subjected to his killer brother in prison as he grows up.  Mom had this child knowing what the risks were.  It's so messed up.  Please remind me what year does Paris get out of prison? I don't believe anything that he said about being sorry.  I think he, his mom and grandmother are all just a like. Did they ever say how they got their money? They seem to be quite wealthy, though possessed no skills or talents to explain it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Amen!  The Family That I Had  gave me a chill too....Did they ever say how they got their money? They seem to be quite wealthy, though possessed no skills or talents to explain it. 

Well, the grandmother, Kyla Bennett, did wind up inheriting the (trucking?) business of her daughter's father - the same guy who was murdered. The grandmother creeped me out from the start, but apparently her carefree, smiling manner has served her well in life. And what about her rationalization for those violent, misogynist graphic novels she was sending to Paris in prison? How evil can you get?

I wonder how the other daughter turned out.

Another weird thing - among many - the mother, Charity, seemed to like to style her young son's hair as if he were a girl. It wasn't just that Phoenix's hair was long. In one scene he had barrettes in his hair. It was as if - in her usual unaware, oblivious manner - she was turning him into a replacement for her murdered daughter.

That scene with Charity speaking with a group of women was also very strange. The women all looked like they wanted to run for the nearest exit. A motivational speaker she is not.

Edited by Mannahatta
  • Love 10

Well,  that was one effed up family.   I believe Park Dietz gave good advice to Charity, but she obviously doesn't believe they have a psychopathic gene or she'd stop having kids.   Granny's a charmer.   The look in her eyes when she talked about manipulation spoke volumes to me.  She really enjoys it.  Was beaming about manipulating the jury that acquitted her. That must be like winning the Psychopath Olympics. 

Paris's letters to the baby need to stop.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

Well,  that was one effed up family.   I believe Park Dietz gave good advice to Charity, but she obviously doesn't believe they have a psychopathic gene or she'd stop having kids.   Granny's a charmer.   The look in her eyes when she talked about manipulation spoke volumes to me.  She really enjoys it.  Was beaming about manipulating the jury that acquitted her. That must be like winning the Psychopath Olympics. 

Paris's letters to the baby need to stop.

Well, it appeared that Charity doesn't intend to give them to the boy one day, as they are ripped in half.  That's going to anger Paris.  It's so dysfunctional that it' hurts.  Prayers for the young boy. I hope someone, like dad's family or social services steps in.  I doubt we saw the whole story.  I fear it's much worse. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Yeeeeeeeeeah, to say that family has problems would be a serious understatement. It was really sad and really disturbing all at the same time. The grandmother unnerved me more and more with each new thing we learned about her. I did like how they explored the conflicted feelings Charity was dealing with, though, regarding Paris and what he did to her daughter. That would be a very complicated, tough thing to wrestle with, for sure. It was so eerie to see the family videos.

I actually kinda agree with Charity that Paris shouldn't be in jail, because being in a violent place is only going to further foster his violent tendencies, and he could wind up being even more dangerous if and when he leaves jail as a result. I think a mental institution would be better. But ultimately, whether he's in an institution or in prison, I don't think he should be getting out at all. The way he talked about wanting to prove himself when he gets out...it may have been intended as inspiring and hopeful, but it still gave me chills, because the way he said it, it sounded more like a threat. 

• Love 6