Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Another weird thing - among many - the mother, Charity, seemed to like to style her young son's hair as if he were a girl. It wasn't just that Phoenix's hair was long. In one scene he had barrettes in his hair. It was as if - in her usual unaware, oblivious manner - she was turning him into a replacement for her murdered daughter.

I noticed that both of his ears were pierced too. I first noticed when they were grocery shopping. 

• Love 7
On 12/13/2017 at 4:00 PM, KellsBells said:

I just finally got a chance to see both Final Vision and the People Magazine investigation about Jeffrey McDonald. I remember reading Fatal Vision years ago, as well as seeing stories about the murders, but didn't remember all that much. I have no doubt he's guilty, but I have another interesting theory. He says he had just finished a 24-hour shift AND he was trying to bulk up for a boxing match. Plus, that syringe supposedly found in a closet. Suppose this was a combination of resentment for being tied down, sleep deprivation and 'roid rage? 

I think he was taking (legal I think) amphetamines too, which would tie into your theory. I wondered the same thing. I'm not excusing him. He's exactly where he needs to be, and I hope every day he thinks "Why didn't I just get a divorce?!!" 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Well, I watched "The Family I Had" last night. Made by two independent filmmakers - it's definitely not your usual ID fare. I don't want to discuss the specifics for those who haven't seen it, but I will say that the story of inter-generational familial psychopaths, and the mother's denial (wrapped up in forgiveness), unfolded in a way that was absolutely chilling. So don't let those ads turn you off! It was fascinating.

I started to watch then stopped when i saw Ella(my mom's name). It was your post that caught me.  It reminded me a little of the book WE Need to Talk About Kevin, which i really liked. How would it be to have a sociopath for a child? 

• Love 6

I though the Unusual Suspects : Deadly Intent, about the farm explosions, was especially good, because it was really a while before the suspect was identified, and the clue that sealed it was very much right place, right time.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I actually kinda agree with Charity that Paris shouldn't be in jail, because being in a violent place is only going to further foster his violent tendencies, and he could wind up being even more dangerous if and when he leaves jail as a result. I think a mental institution would be better. But ultimately, whether he's in an institution or in prison, I don't think he should be getting out at all. The way he talked about wanting to prove himself when he gets out...it may have been intended as inspiring and hopeful, but it still gave me chills, because the way he said it, it sounded more like a threat. 

They kind of glanced over it - they really need to make a whole series around this family - but I think Charity consulted some of the best shrinks around and they flat out told her to move and change her name if her ever gets out.   He tried to, or did stab Charity once already ( I forgot) and slaughtered his baby sister, faking CPR.   He's a chip off the old block.   I don't think there's anything a mental institution can do for him other than make his life better and easier to escape. 

• Love 5

Charity says Paris should be in a mental institution getting help, but she removed him from a facility not too long before the murder.  She says she doesn't think anything would have been different, but maybe it would have been.  She failed her children.

The grandmother's story was a tad confusing.  She said the business had always been in her name.  If so, then what sort of motive would she have for putting a hit on her husband shortly after she remarried him?  I wish they'd gone into more detail about it.

Also, it seems that the late Mr. Bennett had also been married to Kyla Bennett's sister at one time.

I don't think the documentary mentioned that Paris sexually assaulted Ella.

Please remind me what year does Paris get out of prison?

An article mentioned this: "He is serving a 40-year sentence, the maximum penalty in Texas for a juvenile for murder, and will not be eligible for parole until 2027."

Also, right after the murder he talked with a friend for several minutes on the phone before calling 911.  Apparently, his original plan after the murder was to wait for his mother to return home and then kill her.  That's probably why Charity gets all that advice about changing her identity.

More:

“He said the first reason he didn’t go ahead with it was because it was a lot harder to kill someone than he thought,” says Lee. “The second reason was the realization if he’d killed me, I only would have suffered for five, 10, 15 minutes. But, if he left me alive [without Ella], I would suffer for the rest of my life.”

One of Paris’ motives was punishing his mother.

Edited by Josette
adding info
  • Love 8
On 12/7/2017 at 10:29 PM, Cherrio said:

It was actually an excellent show, maybe the best I have seen.  It deals in all the stories/events leading up to all the murders. It weaves together all the reasons and manipulations. There were many reasons the murders took place, not just Helter Skelter. The Tate murders were supposed to be the Melcher murders, Terry Melcher, the son of Doris Day.

For those who have never read Helter Skelter, it would be good before watching the show.  Another must read is The Family by Ed Sanders. 

The program was indeed excellent but I don't agree with the theory that Tate was to have been the Melcher murders.  Manson knew Terry Melcher no longer lived at Cielo.  He had gone by the place in March, after Melcher and Candice Bergen vacated the place and the Polanskis moved in.  Manson didn't know who the Polanskis were but knew they were "movie stars."  I think the house represented failed dreams to him and the tenants there were the perfect representation of the "White Pigs" who looked down on Charlie.  

I've been watching the Erik Menendez special on A&E.  The more I watch, the angrier I get.  For the record, I do think there was abuse in the Menendez house.  I've never before heard of a case where not ONE person or witness was found who could speak kindly or positively about a victim (in this case, Jose.)  There were too many people - - friends, relatives. athletic coaches and trainers - - who could cite examples of the abuse going on and back up the molestation.  So I believe it.   Do I believe both Erik and Lyle believed their parents were going to kill them that night?  I don't know - - fortunately I've never been in an abuse situation from either parent so I don't know what that can or could do to your mindset.  If you believe Erik, he had told Lyle what Jose was doing to him and Erik himself had just found out that he would not be living in the dorms at college.  So could they have reached a breaking point?  Possibly. 

In any event, I'm floored that the same judge heard the second trials and reversed his own decisions from the first trials.  What??  Even if the judge did not believe the abuse theory, it was a reasonable defense theory, with corroborating statements to back it up.  The judge should have allowed the defense to use it and let the jury decide whether they believed it or not.  By not allowing it in, and not allowing many of the witnesses from the first trials to testify as to how life was in that house, along with only allowing the jury to consider first degree murder or acquittal, he guaranteed Lyle and Erik to be convicted.  They had confessed to killing their parents so the jury legally couldn't acquit them.  I think it's wrong that the jury couldn't consider lesser charges or consider extenuating circumstances like abuse.   After the OJ Simpson debacle, the LA County DA's office desperately needed a win.  IMO, an injustice that Simpson was acquitted and Lyle and Erik were given life without the possibility of parole. 

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Love 6

For some reason I am a lot more sympathetic to Erik than Lyle.  Lyle's breakdown on the stand seemed pretty phony.  I still think he was the mastermind behind it all and Erik, to this day, doesn't realize how much Lyle manipulated him.  I do believe the molestation happened which was why Kitty got the brunt of the killing.  They were furious that she ignored her maternal instinct to protect her boys.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Josette said:

He is serving a 40-year sentence, the maximum penalty in Texas for a juvenile for murder, and will not be eligible for parole until 2027."

I have no idea if all states do this, but there are some who can keep a prisoner for life even after they have served their entire sentence.

Its complicated and only used for the most dangerous people.    For anyone interested in reading more about it, you can google Frederick "Kevin" Coe. He is the South Hill rapist from Spokane Wa.

I would keep Paris Bennett confined for life. He is too dangerous to ever be free.

• Love 9

I also watched The Family I Had. Granny herself needs to be an episode of an ID show. I want to know more behind the story of her being acquitted of her husband’s murder. 

Paris is a genuine, straight-from-the-womb psychopath. There is zero remorse there. I don’t think he feels much at all. And given how blasé and almost boastful she is about being put on trial for murder, that trait may be hereditary. I couldn’t even believe that lawsuit from Granny and Paris. Like what in the actual fuck? Want to disown your mother, who has every right to pretend you no longer exist, because she thinks your homicidal self shouldn’t be reading violent comic books? I’ve read Watchmen. It’s very good, but I get the qualms Charity had. And that kind of proves Paris has no remorse. If he was truly regretful and wanting to better himself before his eventual release, he’d recognize that maybe he doesn’t get to indulge in violent, mature media  

I agree with whoever said that Charity wraps up her denial in a mask of forgiveness. I get she’s his mother and the dilemma she’s perpetually struggling with is monumentally difficult, but when psychotherapists are literally saying to change her name and move the day Paris is released from prison, maybe making contact severely limited may be a good idea. She seems to be aware enough to never let Phoenix see the letters Paris wrote to him. 

And yes, Phoenix is clearly the Ella substitute. Charity hasn’t really said what help she’s getting to deal with the trauma and the unique position of being the mother of a murder victim and the murderer. A lot of people like to think that going on to have another child is a happy ending, but I don’t think that’s the case here. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

For some reason I am a lot more sympathetic to Erik than Lyle.  Lyle's breakdown on the stand seemed pretty phony.  I still think he was the mastermind behind it all and Erik, to this day, doesn't realize how much Lyle manipulated him.  I do believe the molestation happened which was why Kitty got the brunt of the killing.  They were furious that she ignored her maternal instinct to protect her boys.

I feel the same way about both Erik and Lyle.   Lyle seemed like a total dick - macho, aggressive, cocky.   Erik always seemed so frail.  There was one point in the trial where Erik became so thin, his face looked skeletal.   Everything he says comes across as more believable than Lyle.   

• Love 6

Okay, seriously.  Your Worst Nightmare MUST hire some actresses that act like a human being!  Without exception, the girls on this show are slack-jawed dimbulbs who won't even arm themselves with a BAT or a knife??  They wait breathlessly for their attacker to break down their door.  I know in NY you aren't allowed to have a gun, but PLEASE!

• Love 3

Owning my shallowness, I tried hard to dislike Charity due to naming her kids Paris and Phoenix, but mostly I just feel sympathy for what she's having to deal with. I can't begin to imagine. 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

Wow.  I just watched Christmas massacre on Oxygen, part of their Homicide for the Holidays series, or some such.
So very grim.  Some man in Arkansas kills several people in town, and his entire family, including his daughter/granddaughter, he's that kind of guy.

• Love 3

Yeah, I caught that one last night, too. Very, very disturbing story all around. 

The video footage from when the cops inspected the house was especially horrifying, to the point where I was like, "Okay, do we really need to see glimpses of the bodies? I think we kinda get the picture as it is, thanks."

• Love 4

Apparently, Paris did not meet the criteria for insanity when he murdered his sister.  That's why he is in prison as opposed to a mental hospital.  I'm not aware of any treatment that helps homicidal sociopaths.  Recall, that was a theme on The Sopranos.  Tony's therapist finally realized that she could not help him and that he could not change from being a killer. Mainly, because the treatment is considered a game for them and they don't want to really change.  And, I don't agree with Charity about the state of Texas being responsible for her son being dangerous when he gets out.  He was that way when he went in.  So, is that her fault?

Ok.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I did watch Murder for the Holidays.......lol.  Just when I think that I've seen it all.  You gotta give those ID Discovery people a hand. They sure are innovative.  lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Midnight Sun said:

On another note, I'm tired of seeing the Jodi Arias promos on ID. The only news I want to hear about that bitch is that she's received a good ol' ass whippin' (or worse) from her fellow inmates.

You and me and hubby, too.  We only want to see a headline "Twisted Killer Dismembered by Other Inmates".  Or hanged.  Or thrown off the tier; doesn't matter how.  I sure hope this will not be an attempt to get another trial!

• Love 8
On 12/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, Annber03 said:

I actually kinda agree with Charity that Paris shouldn't be in jail, because being in a violent place is only going to further foster his violent tendencies, and he could wind up being even more dangerous if and when he leaves jail as a result. I think a mental institution would be better. 

My daughter is a mental health clinician who worked in a jail for 3+ years, and she says jail basically IS a mental health institution because there is so little else available.  It's a broken system, and not getting better, and we'll be seeing the consequences for years to come. 

• Love 7
On 12/22/2017 at 4:10 PM, bubbls said:

I think he was taking (legal I think) amphetamines too, which would tie into your theory. 

As I remember Fatal Vision, McGinniss indeed concluded that steroids together with the extreme schedule caused the meltdown during which McDonald murdered his family.  He convinced me that McDonald killed them and covered it up quite well.

• Love 5

It really bothers me that someone in the FOURTH episode of Village of the Damned said "this is when you start locking your doors." Also, I looked up the cheerleader murders since the show didn't give any details and apparently the neighbor/killer walked in through an unlocked door.

Obviously he could have broken in but the fact that there had already been several murders in that town and folks still weren't locking up boggles my mind.

I hope the town is able to heal. I just can't imagine.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, applecrisp said:

Did anyone see The Eighties on ID this week?? I hate the music but have liked quite a few of the episodes. 

"Eighties" by Killing Joke was one of my favorite songs way back in the 80's, lol.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, KellsBells said:

I just finally got a chance to see both Final Vision and the People Magazine investigation about Jeffrey McDonald. I remember reading Fatal Vision years ago, as well as seeing stories about the murders, but didn't remember all that much. I have no doubt he's guilty, but I have another interesting theory. He says he had just finished a 24-hour shift AND he was trying to bulk up for a boxing match. Plus, that syringe supposedly found in a closet. Suppose this was a combination of resentment for being tied down, sleep deprivation and 'roid rage? 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, bubbls said:

I think he was taking (legal I think) amphetamines too, which would tie into your theory. I wondered the same thing. I'm not excusing him. He's exactly where he needs to be, and I hope every day he thinks "Why didn't I just get a divorce?!!" 

It was discovered the whole boxing thing was a lie at one point, but yes, it was proven he was on amphetamines (which were legal then) and I'd 100% believe he was on roids as well.  While some of the evidence may have been iffy, there's too much to ignore there that points to him being the one.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I think I've seen a new low on ID Discovery.  The step dad who shot his step daughter in the head, so that he could have sex with her corpse! OMG.  I don't recall the name of that particular show, but, what a bizarre story.  Two questions:  how did he get home after leaving his truck over in a particular area of town where he later picked it up.  He drove the victim's car there, after killing her and drove back in his truck that was parked nearby.  I never figured out how he got home after leaving his truck there AND when did he do it? The neighbor denied giving him a ride. That had to really be planned out.  What a monster.  Also, why was he wife screaming at him to tell it all to police when they came to arrest him?  Had he already told his wife the whole  story?  So odd.  I can't imagine how the wife of the killer feels that her husband did this to her daughter.  Why he picked a family member.....omg.  

That happened not too far from me, sadly.  I couldn't stomach listening to stories about it anymore, so I don't know if he ever said why he picked her to do his sick sadistic stuff.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Razzberry said:

Well,  that was one effed up family.   I believe Park Dietz gave good advice to Charity, but she obviously doesn't believe they have a psychopathic gene or she'd stop having kids.   Granny's a charmer.   The look in her eyes when she talked about manipulation spoke volumes to me.  She really enjoys it.  Was beaming about manipulating the jury that acquitted her. That must be like winning the Psychopath Olympics. 

Paris's letters to the baby need to stop.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, Josette said:

Charity says Paris should be in a mental institution getting help, but she removed him from a facility not too long before the murder.  She says she doesn't think anything would have been different, but maybe it would have been.  She failed her children.

The grandmother's story was a tad confusing.  She said the business had always been in her name.  If so, then what sort of motive would she have for putting a hit on her husband shortly after she remarried him?  I wish they'd gone into more detail about it.

Also, it seems that the late Mr. Bennett had also been married to Kyla Bennett's sister at one time.

I don't think the documentary mentioned that Paris sexually assaulted Ella.

An article mentioned this: "He is serving a 40-year sentence, the maximum penalty in Texas for a juvenile for murder, and will not be eligible for parole until 2027."

Also, right after the murder he talked with a friend for several minutes on the phone before calling 911.  Apparently, his original plan after the murder was to wait for his mother to return home and then kill her.  That's probably why Charity gets all that advice about changing her identity.

That family is so incredibly deep in denial that I don't know who or what to believe.  Someone needs to tell Paris' mom that no, it's not  the state's fault if he never changes, or gets out and hurts someone else.  I sided with Grandma more, until I heard about how she likely murdered her husband, and got away with it.  They're all master manipulators.  I don't recall hearing that he assaulted Ella on the show, but sadly, I'm not surprised.  
There definitely is genetic pre-disposition to this kind of thing.  It's not purely nature vs. nurture, but that also plays a part.  Mr. Funky's maternal grandmother was very much a sociopath.  Her first husband, and father of her first 2 kids (both boys) killed himself by jumping off a bridge.  The oldest had lots of attention lavished on him, but the younger of the two was horribly abused, and had some sick stuff done to him (it's well documented).  She then had 3 more kids (all girls) with her 2nd husband, who was a pervert with a penchant for little girls (after my husband's grandmother died, he re-married, and fathered some of his own grandchildren, may he rot in hell).  One of the three girls escaped her wrath, much like her oldest son, but the rest were horribly abused (including my late mother in law, who was horrible in her own right).  When the golden boy was killed in an industrial accident, their mother never let a second go by without telling the younger son that it was all his fault, and it should have been him that died (they traded work shifts, or it would have been him that died).  He was severely messed up, and decided to escape by going in to the military, but he was shipped off to war, and came back with horrible PTSD.  He turned to drugs and alcohol, and ran with a bad crowd.  He committed crimes (petty, and not so petty), and it culminated in him going to jail without possibility of parole for his part in a bad crime (he didn't commit the crime, but was there and was a part of it).  I believe he was doomed to do something bad to land him in jail long-term.  His brain just isn't wired right.  But the difference is that he never wavered in that he deserved punishment, and that he regretted what he did every day, and he worked hard and took being there seriously, and went for mental health counseling.  Never once did I ever hear him say that it was someone else's fault.  He did say he got a bum legal deal (and he did).  He did say he wished things would have been different in his home life, but he never blamed his mother.  I mentioned him on the Judge Judy thread because he married while in prison, and his wife stayed with him until he passed away a few years ago.  So while letting Paris in counseling may have helped or lessened what he would go on to do, I'm not sure it could have erased it entirely, but may have put him in a more reasonable frame of mind at some point.  But we'll never know.  A co-worker had a son who was diagnosed as a sociopath.  He was receiving treatment and she pulled him out.  Turned out she was receiving state benefits for him, and she was being docked for child support to the state while he was in this facility, and she didn't want to pay it.  When he was 18, he left her home and never went back.  While he seems to be functioning on his own, it does scare me a bit that he's roaming around out there, and I would not be shocked if I saw his name come up at some point tied in to something bad.  I credit Mr. Funky's leaving home at age 18 with his ability to have stayed crime free, and have a clean criminal record, unlike his younger brother (who is now doing much better), but Mr. Funky deals with mental illness through genetics, and it's exhausting at times.  

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, auntjess said:

I though the Unusual Suspects : Deadly Intent, about the farm explosions, was especially good, because it was really a while before the suspect was identified, and the clue that sealed it was very much right place, right time.

Can someone tell me how this ended?  I had to leave, and I thought I had hit "record" but it wasn't on the DVR when I got home.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Obviously he could have broken in but the fact that there had already been several murders in that town and folks still weren't locking up boggles my mind.

Haven't seen the last episodes yet, but at some point, this behavior becomes weeding out the gene pool.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Haven't seen the last episodes yet, but at some point, this behavior becomes weeding out the gene pool.

From what I've heard on other forums, the show glosses over that these crimes weren't all committed in Dryden.  Some were committed in other towns that were nearby, so it could be a case of thinking it wouldn't happen where they were.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Can someone tell me how this ended?  I had to leave, and I thought I had hit "record" but it wasn't on the DVR when I got home.

Spoiler

It was the "good" nephew/cousin, who was trying to implicate his hot-headed cousin.  An ex, or some woman in his life, said he was a genius at electronics, and I think he was afraid the farm manager would inherit, but not sure  if that was his motive.
When police got a warrant to search his house, a cop saw the sun shining just right on a piece of paper, and it showed the indentations  of a diagram of the booby trap bomb.  I think they also found a matching screw in his workshop.

• Love 3

I've looked up most all the crimes on Village of The Damned and thought they were in Dryden or in the same county.  Last night, I fell asleep for the second half of the show.  I looked up how it turned out though.  Such a tragedy.  I hope to see the second half on a repeat episode.  Two teen high school cheerleaders abducted, raped and murdered out of a home.  It really angers me when the killer commits suicide after doing all that carnage. I wish they would just do it, before they start the killing of others. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

I wonder if they're running out of themes for the shows.   What about ...

Murderous Mailmen
If He Can't Have You, No One Can
Pregnicide
Not-So-Gentle Giants

Btw, Paris is looking for "pen-pals" on the Write-A-Prisoner site.  His profile:

Paris enjoys reading, long walks around the yard, and stabbing people.

You are razzing us, right, Razz?  I mean, with the titles that ID Discovery comes up with.  These are not that outrageous. lol Oh, I have one:

Ruthless Rockin' Eve (in tribute to New Year's Eve)  lol

• Love 3
On 12/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, funky-rat said:

That family is so incredibly deep in denial that I don't know who or what to believe.  Someone needs to tell Paris' mom that no, it's not  the state's fault if he never changes, or gets out and hurts someone else.  I sided with Grandma more, until I heard about how she likely murdered her husband, and got away with it.  They're all master manipulators.  I don't recall hearing that he assaulted Ella on the show, but sadly, I'm not surprised.  
There definitely is genetic pre-disposition to this kind of thing.  It's not purely nature vs. nurture, but that also plays a part.  Mr. Funky's maternal grandmother was very much a sociopath.

Wow. Regarding Mr. Funky's maternal grandmother - that was some scary shit. There seem to be a thousand and one ways for a sociopath to make the lives of others miserable - legal and otherwise. Family members who can emerge from that legacy without becoming completely unhinged or in denial have my utmost respect. And I agree about the genetic predisposition playing a partial role. Thanks for sharing.

All of which brings me to another issue I have with Paris's mother, Charity. Apparently the audience for her forgiveness/denial tour are not only adults. She also talks before kids! Although the kids have incarcerated family members, it seems to me that she is just exploiting them for her own purposes. How on earth is her story going to help them? I can see how it might either scare them or make them feel guilty for feeling normal anger. Or, if there are any budding sociopaths in the audience, it might make them feel entitled to forgiveness should they act out in a heinous manner. I understand that she's gone through a lot, but someone with so little insight shouldn't be able to go on the lecture circuit like she's a paradigm of wisdom.

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/murder-destroyed-charity-lees-family-forever-altered-her-concept-of-justice/Content?oid=2246452

• Love 5

I was watching village of the dammed and I wonder why they didn't talk about the trooper planting evidence against Shirley Kinge? She won a $250,000 lawsuit and he went to jail. Her son was killed by the police. As a Black person, I side eye all of this, and I wonder why they leave so much pertinent information out. 

• Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, auntjess said:
  Hide contents

It was the "good" nephew/cousin, who was trying to implicate his hot-headed cousin.  An ex, or some woman in his life, said he was a genius at electronics, and I think he was afraid the farm manager would inherit, but not sure  if that was his motive.
When police got a warrant to search his house, a cop saw the sun shining just right on a piece of paper, and it showed the indentations  of a diagram of the booby trap bomb.  I think they also found a matching screw in his workshop.

That's kind-of what I was thinking.  Thanks for confirming that.

15 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Wow. Regarding Mr. Funky's maternal grandmother - that was some scary shit. There seem to be a thousand and one ways for a sociopath to make the lives of others miserable - legal and otherwise. Family members who can emerge from that legacy without becoming completely unhinged or in denial have my utmost respect. And I agree about the genetic predisposition playing a partial role. Thanks for sharing.

All of which brings me to another issue I have with Paris's mother, Charity. Apparently the audience for her forgiveness/denial tour are not only adults. She also talks before kids! Although the kids have incarcerated family members, it seems to me that she is just exploiting them for her own purposes. How on earth is her story going to help them? I can see how it might either scare them or make them feel guilty for feeling normal anger. Or, if there are any budding sociopaths in the audience, it might make them feel entitled to forgiveness should they act out in a heinous manner. I understand that she's gone through a lot, but someone with so little insight shouldn't be able to go on the lecture circuit like she's a paradigm of wisdom.

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/murder-destroyed-charity-lees-family-forever-altered-her-concept-of-justice/Content?oid=2246452

She died long before I would have ever gotten any chance to meet her, praise the Lord.  But she left a nasty legacy behind.  Of her 5 kids, all but one are dead - all died relatively young.  The oldest in that industrial accident.  Then the youngest - she died around 2000 of health issues she had her whole life but never took care of (she was a sweet person, but had been in and out of jail, and the endless parade of men in and out of the house messed up her kids - they made the same bad mistakes in their lives).  Then my husband's mother was next (she had two kids - my husband and his brother, who had substance abuse issues and was in jail for it once), followed by the younger of the boys not too terribly long after (he never did get out of prison - he had 7 kids over the course of a few relationships - most of whom turned out just fine).  The oldest of the girls is still with us.  My husband grew up being told that she was bad, and to avoid her.  And yes, she has her issues, but she's not as bad as she was made out to be.  She had 2 kids.  Her oldest was killed in an accident when he was 16-ish.  The younger is the same age as my husband, and she has mental health issues that she doesn't receive any treatment for.  We tried with her a few times, but it was just too hard.  She has 4 kids.  I talk with some of them on occasion.  The grandmother got custody of the oldest boy's son and raised him.  Sadly, no one even knows where he is.  I had some inkling that his family was messed up when I married him, but it took years and many sessions of counseling to get to just how disturbing it was.  Out of all of the grandkids, my husband and his brother are the only ones who never had children.  We were never able, and his brother said he never wanted to bring kids into the world with their background.  His cousins from his youngest aunt realized that their family dynamic was messed up and tried to do better with their kids (and the all turned out pretty well), but they themselves are extremely full of the drama, and we had to just separate ourselves.  I wish them well, but it's not worth the toxic nightmares.

43 minutes ago, Queena said:

I was watching village of the dammed and I wonder why they didn't talk about the trooper planting evidence against Shirley Kinge? She won a $250,000 lawsuit and he went to jail. Her son was killed by the police. As a Black person, I side eye all of this, and I wonder why they leave so much pertinent information out. 

They did mention it, but not the lawsuit, or that the officer was arrested.  And you're right - it should have been mentioned.  I wouldn't have known if you didn't say it.  I will give Shirley one side eye, though.  I'm sorry her son did this and put her through all of this by his actions, but she didn't need to use the credit card to buy gifts.

• Love 5

Jesus, @funky-rat, I'm so sorry to hear about all the crap your husband and his family have gone through. How awful. I can totally understand needing to distance oneself from that whole mess. That much pain and stress would be overwhelming after a while.

But I too will share in your hopes that those who have struggled and been negatively affected as a result of your husband's maternal grandmother can find their own peace with time. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

That's kind-of what I was thinking.  Thanks for confirming that.

She died long before I would have ever gotten any chance to meet her, praise the Lord.  But she left a nasty legacy behind.  Of her 5 kids, all but one are dead - all died relatively young.  The oldest in that industrial accident.  Then the youngest - she died around 2000 of health issues she had her whole life but never took care of (she was a sweet person, but had been in and out of jail, and the endless parade of men in and out of the house messed up her kids - they made the same bad mistakes in their lives).  Then my husband's mother was next (she had two kids - my husband and his brother, who had substance abuse issues and was in jail for it once), followed by the younger of the boys not too terribly long after (he never did get out of prison - he had 7 kids over the course of a few relationships - most of whom turned out just fine).  The oldest of the girls is still with us.  My husband grew up being told that she was bad, and to avoid her.  And yes, she has her issues, but she's not as bad as she was made out to be.  She had 2 kids.  Her oldest was killed in an accident when he was 16-ish.  The younger is the same age as my husband, and she has mental health issues that she doesn't receive any treatment for.  We tried with her a few times, but it was just too hard.  She has 4 kids.  I talk with some of them on occasion.  The grandmother got custody of the oldest boy's son and raised him.  Sadly, no one even knows where he is.  I had some inkling that his family was messed up when I married him, but it took years and many sessions of counseling to get to just how disturbing it was.  Out of all of the grandkids, my husband and his brother are the only ones who never had children.  We were never able, and his brother said he never wanted to bring kids into the world with their background.  His cousins from his youngest aunt realized that their family dynamic was messed up and tried to do better with their kids (and the all turned out pretty well), but they themselves are extremely full of the drama, and we had to just separate ourselves.  I wish them well, but it's not worth the toxic nightmares.

They did mention it, but not the lawsuit, or that the officer was arrested.  And you're right - it should have been mentioned.  I wouldn't have known if you didn't say it.  I will give Shirley one side eye, though.  I'm sorry her son did this and put her through all of this by his actions, but she didn't need to use the credit card to buy gifts.

I agree. However, I heard on the program that she most definitely was there. Her fingerprint was there. They didn't mention that it was planted. They didn't mention that she wasn't the only person who the trooper had planted evidence against. It kind of makes you wonder about the whole case. If they lied about that... And I really think that they lied because they killed her son and he couldn't go to prison... What else would they lie about? 

• Love 2

Last night was a struggle for viewers, imo.  So many of the shows were about women who were so gullible, very careless with their safety and apparently never read much in the news.  It was on In An Instant as well as other various true crime shows.  I guess it takes coming close to death for some people to believe a person is dangerous and can't be trusted.  Also, on Betrayed, the new ID Discover show, the lady has 3 small children and allows drug users in her house?  I even read an article that said she left a window open so her niece and friend, (drug users) could come and go as they pleased from her home.  And they had stolen money from her before.  It amazes me how some people do not believe that drug users are dangerous people and they will kill to get their drug money.  Sadly, she leaned the hard way.  I have no idea why the killer only got 6 years in prison.  That's a joke.  She wasn't a juvenile either. 

• Love 7
On 12/28/2017 at 4:37 PM, Razzberry said:

Murderous Mailmen
Pregnicide
Not-So-Gentle Giants

Btw, Paris is looking for "pen-pals" on the Write-A-Prisoner site.  His profile:

Paris enjoys reading, long walks around the yard, and stabbing people.

Jesus, his profile is so pretentious. It makes me want to punch him, even before getting into why he’s in prison. And also another notch for “psychopath.”

Honestly, this sounds really bad but I don’t mean it to be, but I’m so glad he committed his first murder as an immature child and not as an adult more knowledgeable about the world. I’m now completely convinced that he’s a serial killer that was nipped in the bud. 

Edited by Automne
  • Love 9

That episode of In An Instant seemed to go on FOREVER.  I'm glad she survived and went on to happiness, glad they put the guy away - but wow.  That whole story would barely have taken a one hour show to tell.  Maybe it just seemed longer since I was watching it sick in bed.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Automne said:

Jesus, his profile is so pretentious. It makes me want to punch him, even before getting into why he’s in prison. And also another notch for “psychopath.”

Honestly, this sounds really bad but I don’t mean it to be, but I’m so glad he committed his first murder as an immature child and not as an adult more knowledgeable about the world. I’m now completely convinced that he’s a serial killer that was nipped in the bud. 

He sounds exactly how I’d imagine an arrogant narcissist would sound. They aren’t nearly as amazing as they think they are. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

That episode of In An Instant seemed to go on FOREVER.  I'm glad she survived and went on to happiness, glad they put the guy away - but wow.  That whole story would barely have taken a one hour show to tell.  Maybe it just seemed longer since I was watching it sick in bed.

I agree.  I'm just trying to envision how I would go outside alone, unarmed because the person who was stalking and threatening me was insistent that they wanted a hug.  I mean, really?  It boggles the mind. I'm glad she survived. 

I saw something almost as bizarre last night with a family who kept ignoring that the older son had a mental illness and that he was violent and dangerous.(I think it was called Nightmare for Christmas or something like that.)  I wasn't convinced that his mental illness made him violent, but, whatever the cause, his family just refused to accept reality. Even after he attacked dad with an ax.  As a result, the guy murdered his grandpa, then called his family and said grandpa was sick and couldn't be awakened.  So, instead of calling 911 to attend to him, they pile into the car, along with their younger son and drive to the vacation home.  So, he gets what he wants and proceeds to kill brother, daddy and mom too.  And tries to kill the cops when they arrive too.  Did anyone else see this?   My question is how did he get that note on his dad's office door that his dad was dead?  Did killer son leave the vacation home, drive to the dad's office, leave the note and then return to the vacation home?  Odd.  OH, for the first time, I discovered that this family on this show was named Miller, but, in real life, that was not their last name. I found the story online.  I wonder why they changed it for that show.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

I’m liking these holiday themed shows ID is doing. I can’t wait for some Arbor Day murder!

Why is Candace DeLong wearing a god-awful wig?  It looks so fake.  I hope she’s not sick or something but it looks bad  

In An Instant—I’m glad the girl survived and she’s trying to educate teens on domestic violence.  She said she didn’t know what to do, was afraid he’d kill her mom and she didn’t want to ruin his future. I always tell my kids about the red flags and trusting your gut.  

Happy New Year fellow murder buffs!  I’m right were I want to be: in my pjs, kids in bed, watching ID and working a jiggy puzz!  Overall, life is good. 

• Love 9
On 12/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, Queena said:

They did.... didn’t they? I know it was mentioned at some point, or else I’m doing too much reading online to make up for the gaps in the show.

I’m new to this particular thread, and haven’t read every single thing in 76 pages....the case that will forever be the biggest one that hit me personally was Eric Rudolph. I was at the Olympics earlier in the day before he set off the bomb that night. We got back to my hometown of Murphy, NC late that afternoon. My mother heard about it and called my Dad’s house where we were staying, to make sure I was ok. (Parents were divorced). Lo and behold, guess who lived barely a half mile from Dad? Rudolph. Dad came home from work one day to see the road crawling with FBI cars from Virginia. One guy who lived next door was terrified, they questioned him for a long time. Interviewed my dad for the nightly news and searched his house and garage.

The guy goes into hiding for 5 years, and is living in people’s summer cabins during the winter when they are empty, then was living in a makeshift cardboard hut under one of the busiest overpasses in town. Right near the grocery stores, where he’s go dumpster diving at night. Which is how my good friend, the rookie police officer, happened to spot him and arrest him. My friend didn’t get one penny of the million dollar reward either. I told him I’d help him write a book when he’s ready, so that at least his side of everything that went down is told. Enough other people have made money off of the incident and they weren’t local.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 9

That's fascinating Cooksdelight.  It seems that police are excluded from getting the rewards like that.  I'd be interested in the book, though.   I'm from NC too. 

I'm finding the new series Betrayed not bad.  Funny, but, even though it sounds odd, I think that Swamp Murders was one of the best series on ID Discovery. 

• Love 4

If our mayor had found him rummaging in the dumpster that night, he’d have gotten the million. Jeff was 21, rookie cop, really just doing what anyone else would do when you see someone behind a store after closing time. I will never forget the press conference here, I was in Richmond at the time but caught it on CNN. He had that deer in the headlights look, wishing the cameras would go away.

Here’s an old interview, and there are newer ones out there with Jeff. Imagine having that on your resume when you’re running for office.

• Love 2
On 12/30/2017 at 8:09 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, on Betrayed, the new ID Discover show, the lady has 3 small children and allows drug users in her house?  I even read an article that said she left a window open so her niece and friend, (drug users) could come and go as they pleased from her home.  And they had stolen money from her before.  It amazes me how some people do not believe that drug users are dangerous people and they will kill to get their drug money.  Sadly, she leaned the hard way.  I have no idea why the killer only got 6 years in prison.  That's a joke.  She wasn't a juvenile either. 

Agreed. I also, couldn't believe that the victim's niece just sat there and let her "friend" kill her. Unbelievable. Here's an articles about it.

Dana Laskowski, Emily Lauenborg: Investigation Discovery’s ‘Betrayed’ Explores Case Of Puyallup Mom Found Dead In Home, Killed By Drug-Crazed Teen

‘Unusual Suspects’: Woman Murdered By A Teen She Mentored For Drug Money

On 12/28/2017 at 3:37 PM, Razzberry said:

Murderous Mailmen
Pregnicide
Not-So-Gentle Giants

There's also Nuns with Guns.

• Love 7

Another Betrayed episode where the victim's teen daughter had her boyfriend and his buddy, kill her mom.  What I thought was odd is that the daughter and her sketchy boyfriend never got any attention from law enforcement, even though she and daughter were having a terrible time and daughter had recently ran away from home.   There were loads of conflict in the home and no one told police about it?  Odd, imo.   I mean, that's a pretty big red flag, yet police didn't even consider her a suspect? Odd.  If the prison snitch hadn't come forward, they would have gotten away with it. 

These shows really make you think twice about who is the beneficiary on your life insurance policy.  lol  I mean, it might be safer to have it set up so that you are worth more alive than dead. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

Watching the most recent episode of "Evil Lives Here" and my eyes are practically rolling across the floor. I'm sorry, but this woman is an idiot. Some of these shows, there were no real red flags, this one, the damn house may have been wrapped in red flags as well as the husband and everything else she lays her eyes on.  

Edited by KellsBells
  • Love 14

What did I just watch? The preacher who was thought to be dead, church burned, his fishing buddy who he’d baptized was missing and thought to be the killer... then they figured out the buddy was the dead body and the preacher was in the hospital with a spray tan and a shaved head? WTF??

• Love 6