Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

In some of those cases, I can't help feeling that the guilty parent is manipulating the children to their side, or has been manipulating them against the murdered parent for some time, even before the actual murder happened. 

• Love 7

Yeah, it could be fear that they could be next, fear of being left out of the Will, or fear of the backlash if they win at trial and then cut you out of the family.  It could be a number of reasons the adult kids side wit h the killer. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Fable said:

I totally believe an innocent person would commit suicide if investigators were hounding them mercilessly, especially if they were emotionally fragile to begin with.  I imagine the constant scrutiny could become almost unbearable.   Admittedly, however, in the People Magazine case, I wasn’t really convinced one way or the other. 

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I"m really on the fence about the crime lab worker.  What a bizarre case. I had actually seen that story somewhere before.  Maybe, it was on Forensic Files or something, but, I was perplexed the first time I saw it too.  I just don't know.  Part of me thinks that it WAS contamination in the lab, but, then again.......IDK.  I suppose a jury will get the matter eventually, since the widow has filed a lawsuit.  

One thing that I don't buy into is a family member, friend or co-worker, saying, something like," There is no way he would do that.  He isn't capable of committing that kind of crime."  I believe that anyone is capable of anything under the right circumstances.  And plenty of times, very nice people, turn out to have a very dark side. YOU NEVER KNOW who may be evil. 

I haven't seen the People version of this story -  I didn't watch because I've seen this case on at least 2 other shows over the years.  So I'm not sure how People presented the story, but one of the shows I watched had other crime lab employees who worked with him being interviewed, and they explained in-depth why they all used their own samples (I don't understand it, but I know it had something to do with using it as a control, as DNA stuff was in it's infancy then, and they said this was common practice).  They also said the person processing that scene sat right next to the guy who was accused and killed himself, and the sample of his DNA that was on the slide was so microscopic that it is highly possible for cross-contamination.  And that's what planted a seed of doubt in my mind (sorry if this was all re-hashed in the People episode as well).  They also said he was highly suggestible, and would get flustered so easily that he was never called to testify in criminal trials because he could be very easily led by a slick lawyer.

Now I didn't know the guy.  And I have no vested interest in this case.  But based on the two shows I saw, I thought there was room for doubt.  I rarely believe family members either.  But highly suggestible people can be easily led by cops, etc, and it does happen.  It just didn't make sense to me.  I'll try to catch the People version when it's on again to see how they tackled it, because shows sometimes leave things out, or gloss over them, and after digging deeper, I find out things that change my mind.  There's a Dateline case I saw years ago and when I was done with it,  I was outraged and felt an innocent man was in prison.  The show certainly pushed in that direction, but when I looked deeper and looked at the actual documents from the case, I saw that this had gone back years, and the show glossed over some huge things.  The show claimed that because they found someone else's semen on this dead girl that meant her dad was innocent.  No - that just means he didn't leave his semen behind  -that doesn't mean he didn't kill her, and I believe he 100% did after reading the case info, interviews with his other kids, but there are websites out there dedicated to getting this sleaze out of jail, all because of the way the show presented the case.

• Love 2

I was up with insomnia and watched Forensic Files, and they started off the half hour discussing women, usually prostitutes, being murdered in Tampa in 1984. I got a weird feeling I knew this, until they focused on a teenager who was abducted and let go by the killer. Big mistake, because she was smart and noticed enough and left her fingerprints all over the bathroom in his apt to lead police straight to him. It was Bobby Joe Long, and that ass is STILL on death row. Ted Bundy was executed quicker for killing 2 FL coeds, this guy killed 7. That police know about.

I think it was “Married with Secrets” that focused on him and his wife, and she showed old photos and talked about his eyes, and how they changed over the years. Boy, did they ever. You could see him slowly going crazy. He beat the crap out of her, raped her and stalked her after they split. Once they finally went their seperate ways and he was in FL with a new girlfriend, that’s when his rape/killing spree began again. I will always wonder if he killed the women he was raping when he was married.

• Love 4

Hey, my fellow murder lovers, are you guys watching the new season of The Killing Fields, nobody is writing about it on its forum and I gotta tell you, this season is so good, man, it's a dilly.  There are no re enactments on this show, at all, it's a live active case, man alive, (or I should said man dead) don't miss this show if you are a murder mystery fan.  This is THE BEST. It is in its third season.  On the Discovery channel and ID as well. 

• Love 6

Darnit I can't remember which show this was on but it aired this week. Teen is murdered and it turned out to be a spurned suitor but what blew my mind is that her brother in law (who was married to her older sister) was a suspect. The reason? He had molested her. The kicker? The sister was still married to him and her parents were ok with this and still considered him family on the condition that he agreed to never be alone with the teen again.

Am I the only one who find this completely outrageous? In the re-enactment, one of the girl's friends told the police something like "nobody in her family protected her" so I'm assuming the writers agree with me.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Darnit I can't remember which show this was on but it aired this week. Teen is murdered and it turned out to be a spurned suitor but what blew my mind is that her brother in law (who was married to her older sister) was a suspect. The reason? He had molested her. The kicker? The sister was still married to him and her parents were ok with this and still considered him family on the condition that he agreed to never be alone with the teen again.

Am I the only one who find this completely outrageous? In the re-enactment, one of the girl's friends told the police something like "nobody in her family protected her" so I'm assuming the writers agree with me.

I saw that show, I was apalled that the guy wasn’t forbidden to have any contact with her afterward. And blaming HER??? That entire family is f’d up.

• Love 8

It was on Unusual Suspects: Deadly Intent. The victim's name was Rayna Rison. And, yes, it was unbelievable that the sister would stay with that guy.  And he went to see the poor girl the very moment his probation ended! 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Hey, my fellow murder lovers, are you guys watching the new season of The Killing Fields, nobody is writing about it on its forum and I gotta tell you, this season is so good, man, it's a dilly.  There are no re enactments on this show, at all, it's a live active case, man alive, (or I should said man dead) don't miss this show if you are a murder mystery fan.  This is THE BEST. It is in its third season.  On the Discovery channel and ID as well. 

I watched the first season of this and I think part of the second. I must have deleted it off my DVR. Are they still going after the same case?

• Love 1

No they are on a new case, they are not in Louisiana, now I forget where they are, but it is a juicy case with a good old detective and his young sidekick just like the first two seasons, they will be going back to that original case eventually I understand, but you will love the new one.  It really has me going, it's a cold case and they are finding new suspects because of DNA.  Oh man, it is good and nasty! But, most of all, no re-enactments.  

• Love 3

I missed all 3 episodes of The Killing Fields this new season, but have dvr set to record them tomorrow morning.   I can't even remember if Roady in Louisiana ever resolved those cold cases.  He was obsessed with Eugenie Boisfontaine, but it kind of petered out for me.  Glad to hear of new locale and cases.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, Razzberry said:

Yep, the taxpayers will be supporting that slob for the rest of his sorry life.   Apparently he was planning on killing his girlfriend of ten years next, according to Kala.   His girlfriend said “I knew there was something that didn’t sit right with me about him, but I couldn’t really put my finger on it.”

She's attractive but she must be dumb as a fence post.

Oh my gosh, what was she doing with him? He’s so gross. And she’s not.

I admit I enjoy the idea of these wicked bastards sitting in jail with regrets (for getting caught) for decades. Nothing to do but think......I love that. 

• Love 4
(edited)

A&E Adds Marcia Clark, Nancy Grace Crime Shows

“Marcia Clark Investigates The First 48” with the former prosecutor and “Grace vs. Abrams” with hosts Nancy Grace and Dan Abrams.

Produced by ITV Entertainment, “Marcia Clark Investigates The First 48” will feature Clark, the prosecutor from the O.J. Simpson murder trial, investigating the events of the first 48 hours after a murder to uncover new revelations about the crime. The show is scheduled to premiere March 29.

“Grace vs. Abrams,” from Lincoln Square Productions, will feature the two legal analysts debating infamous crimes and legal cases. The series will be filmed at Times Square Studios in front of a live audience and also premiere March 29.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

“Grace vs. Abrams,” from Lincoln Square Productions, will feature the two legal analysts debating infamous crimes and legal cases. The series will be filmed at Times Square Studios in front of a live audience and also premiere March 29.

This is a must NOT see for me.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

I love those two cajun men! Yummy. 

I love to hear Rhodie, and think IE or someone, should hire him as a narrator.
As to the Marcia Clark show, is it some mashup with The First 48, which already exists on A&E?   I hope they're not messing up a show I like.

• Love 4

That ep of People Investigates showed up on the On Demand, so I watched it (with the girls killed a few years apart at the beach).  I'm still not convinced the crime scene tech did it.  I am basing this on all of the shows over the years I've seen on the case.  I also 100% disagree with them proclaiming "case closed" the day after the tech killed himself.  They had no other viable options, so they just washed their hands.  Especially since both people involved were dead, and none confessed before they died.  Innocent until proven guilty in court, but we all know how that goes.

I disagree 100% with the allegation that the crimes aren't related.  I don't see how they're not.  And if none of their theories fit so they just figured "copycat", then they need to keep looking.  The boyfriend of the first girl killed said as much.

And I know the police eliminated the beach comber, and he's so messed up that I don't know how much they could have gotten out of him anyway, but it wouldn't shock me if he weren't somehow involved with both, even if he mutilated the bodies after the fact.  That could explain how that guy who drowned was involved in one but not both.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, bubbls said:
On 1/8/2018 at 2:07 PM, Razzberry said:

Yep, the taxpayers will be supporting that slob for the rest of his sorry life.   Apparently he was planning on killing his girlfriend of ten years next, according to Kala.   His girlfriend said “I knew there was something that didn’t sit right with me about him, but I couldn’t really put my finger on it.”

She's attractive but she must be dumb as a fence post.

Oh my gosh, what was she doing with him? He’s so gross. And she’s not.

I know, right?  There must be something seriously wrong.  She needs to explain this in an episode of "Evil Lives Here".  Even the show says             There were signs:

• Love 5

I don’t know if this is the right place to put this, but it is a true crime so here it goes....

I just finished watching “The Tower” on Netflix about the University of Texas shooting in the 60’s and it is devastating.

I can’t recommend it enough, just quietly devastating and even more quietly uplifting.

Officer Houston McCoy will haunt my dreams.

• Love 5

Just erased the chef one, unwatched.  Comments here warned me.
I watched something, two cousins (female) visiting, one goes out to get food very late, and never returns.
That was so horrible, and I don't understand why the guys didn't get death.  If anyone deserves  it, they did.
The only consolation was that I assume they'll be doing their life sentence in Angola.

• Love 3

Investigation Discovery Launches ‘True Crime Files’ Syndicated Strip With Sinclair, Tribune Stations

Investigation Discovery is making the most of its vast library of programs about murder and mayhem with the launch of “True Crime Files” as a syndicated strip. Stations owned by Sinclair and Tribune are on board for the series, giving it clearance in more than 60% of the country.

The arrival of “True Crime Files” appears to draw a chalk line around Warner Bros. Domestic TV Distribution’s “Crime Watch Daily” syndicated strip, which has been on the bubble for a fourth season renewal. Tribune had been the core affiliate group for “Crime Watch” in major markets. Tribune’s new commitment to “True Crime Files” indicates that those key stations will not renew “Crime Watch,” although Warner Bros. may be able to line up new stations in Tribune markets for the 2018-19 season, given the lack of new shows for stations to chose from this year.

• Love 3

I'm watching the Arias shows because I didn't follow the story all that much when it happened. I think I saw a Dateline well before the trial, but that is it. I've got two questions: (1) Was there ever a good explanation as to why the roommates didn't smell decomp? The "we thought it was dirty dishes" line just does not work for such an otherwise spotless house. [Arias is obvi guilty; I just wonder what kind of nutballs were renting rooms.] And (2) did Juan Martinez shrink suddenly or does he have a moral objection to buying dress shirts that fit and don't make him look like he's a kid playing dressup?  The shirts are seriously distracting.

• Love 5

I'm watching as well, Lizzing, because I never really followed the case when it was happening "real time." I can't find anywhere on the board where they're discussing it, but I didn't want to bring it up here because I know most are sick of it. They're going to get into more about Travis and Jodi's relationship in this last epi tonight, but admittedly without knowing all the facts, I have to say the fact that Travis baptized her and was sleeping with her makes him a total scumbag in my book. I have many LDS relatives and was baptized into the LDS church in my 20s (didn't stay long), but in that church, that is just downright evil, akin to a trusted religious figure sleeping with a parishioner. So, no, obviously she had no right to kill him, but I'm not buying his friends' schtick that he was such an awesome dude.

• Love 8

I was watching village of the dammed and I wonder why they didn't talk about the trooper planting evidence against Shirley Kinge? She won a $250,000 lawsuit and he went to jail. Her son was killed by the police. As a Black person, I side eye all of this, and I wonder why they leave so much pertinent information out. 

This bugged me too, mainly because the telling of it seemed incomplete, meaning that before we were even told that the gas can evidence was planted, it didn't make sense; even if the can had her prints on it, that on its own would not definitively put her at the scene of the crime. 

• Love 2

I wasn't going to watch the Jody Arias special on American Murder Mysteries (what's the mystery,  btw, she's guilty as hell) because the coverage has been pretty exhaustive.  But since nothing else was on, I did, and it's worth it just to see that detective with her in the box.   "Look, I've been doing this a long time, alright?  That's the most ridiculous story I've heard yet. "

• Love 7

Oh yeah, that was priceless....I didn't want to watch it either, but of course I did. She is a sociopath....loved every golden minute so could hate her even more. She really really really loves herself and her makeup and hair. God, what a whore. Rot forever you nasty twist. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

And, ID Channel?  QUIT putting ads for IDtoGo OVER the closed captions!!

YES. That bugs me, too. If you're going to have text sections/subtitles/etc. in episodes, don't obscure them in any way. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Lizzing said:

And (2) did Juan Martinez shrink suddenly or does he have a moral objection to buying dress shirts that fit and don't make him look like he's a kid playing dressup?  The shirts are seriously distracting.

He looked like a Martin Short character out of a bad 80s movie in those shots. 

12 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I have to say the fact that Travis baptized her and was sleeping with her makes him a total scumbag in my book. I have many LDS relatives and was baptized into the LDS church in my 20s (didn't stay long), but in that church, that is just downright evil, akin to a trusted religious figure sleeping with a parishioner. So, no, obviously she had no right to kill him, but I'm not buying his friends' schtick that he was such an awesome dude.

I'm right there with you. Nothing he did means he deserved what he got, but I was seriously squicked out by him. Taking a girl on a free trip Cancun who just wants to be friends but you apparently want more from seems very manipulative to me. Add in having sex with your crazy ex and stalker right before this trip, and it just isn't a good look. The guy seemed like a skeeze. 

• Love 7

Ewwwwwww, that guy, The Iceman, he's too nasty and sick even for me, and I love a good ole serial killer. I tried to watch the HBO documentary on him that had many interviews with that sicko, and seriously he creeped me out so much I couldn't listen to him. That's saying a lot for me. If you have HBO and are interested in The Iceman, check it out. Good luck. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I have to say the fact that Travis baptized her and was sleeping with her makes him a total scumbag in my book. I have many LDS relatives and was baptized into the LDS church in my 20s (didn't stay long), but in that church, that is just downright evil, akin to a trusted religious figure sleeping with a parishioner. So, no, obviously she had no right to kill him, but I'm not buying his friends' schtick that he was such an awesome dude.

I agree with you.  Also, the fact that he knew she was BSC (after she broke into his house via the doggie door and slashed the tires on his car as well as his new girlfriend's car), but when Jodi showed up wanting to have sex, Travis was always ready and willing. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but somehow I think even if he had gotten married to someone else, he would have kept Jodi on the side as she was probably was a little more adventurous sexually.  No, he did not deserve to be murdered, but he wasn't as innocent as his friends and family tried to make him seem to be.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

So if it wasn't for the major eff-up of leaving the camera in the washing machine, do y'all think Jodi would have ever been caught? I wonder if she kicks herself every day for that.

Yes, she probably would have skated!  Being able to recover those pictures was pretty close to a miracle, IMO. 

Edited by Brattinella
Hopefully her housemates are kicking her every day!
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

So if it wasn't for the major eff-up of leaving the camera in the washing machine, do y'all think Jodi would have ever been caught? I wonder if she kicks herself every day for that.

I think that her sociopathy/psycopathy coupled with what I assume has to be narcissistic personality disorder would prevent her from possessing the self awareness that she made a mistake. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, she probably would have skated!  Being able to recover those pictures was pretty close to a miracle, IMO. 

She also left her bloody hand print, and his friends fingered her right away as a likely suspect. Then she had the cuts on her hand when she met with her post-murder hook-up. But I guess that still might not have been enough to fully convict.

• Love 5

I knew a guy in high school who was able to lock his middle finger joints to make it look as if his finger had been jammed or broken.  When Jodi displayed her “broken” finger, it looked just like my high school friends, so I watched closely and low and behold, during the rest of the trial and sentencing, her finger was perfectly normal.  And no one noticed it (!), though she spent plenty of time with her hand to her face.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, MaggiesMom said:

I knew a guy in high school who was able to lock his middle finger joints to make it look as if his finger had been jammed or broken.  When Jodi displayed her “broken” finger, it looked just like my high school friends, so I watched closely and low and behold, during the rest of the trial and sentencing, her finger was perfectly normal.  And no one noticed it (!), though she spent plenty of time with her hand to her face.

I noticed that, too.  She would forget about it, and relax her hand.  Then she would remember, and cock her finger again.  BS!

• Love 4