Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Spoilers

• Start Topic

Has anyone ever addressed what happened in this season? What made CBS do the Second Chance voting and decide to air that season ahead of this one?

I'm not sure I buy the awfulness of WA as a reason. If BBB2 was any good, why not run it as scheduled?

Something happened.

(edited)

One of the theories was by doing the fan reveal at the end of S30, it might confuse the casual viewer who tunes in in the fall, expecting the second chancers-only to see a cast of newbies and wondering what happened.  They might have wanted to keep the momentum going.  Since spoilers are bound to leak out, I thought that might be a reason, too.  Although I'm sticking with the theory that yes, S30 was a bad chapter in Survivor's history and they want to overshadow that with something more positive and fun.  The last two weeks of S30, and half the reunion show (really more than half) was dedicated to this.  S30 became a complete after thought.  I think they've had this idea for awhile, but that they finally decided to do it at the last minute.  

Looking at the S32 cast, I'm not very hopeful.  I don't like that they are repeating the BBB theme, since sequels never go as well (though the collar theme bombed the first time, so maybe the second time around would be better).  The cast either looks annoying or forgettable.  So it could be that season tanked, and since they didn't know of the controversy that was coming with S30, maybe they needed more time to fine tune the editing so they didn't have a repeat.

On the subject of S32, here's something from Mark Burnett confirming/spoiling the medevacs from that season.  I wonder if we will be getting a number of medevacs from the second chancers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-burnett-julie-chen-nigel-803049

MARK BURNETT On Survivor — a lot. Last season, we had three evacuations, the most ever in a season. It was the humidity, cuts, people getting infected and then trying so hard on the challenges. But we tend to show most things. As a producer you get worried, but [host] Jeff Probst runs the show, and I know if my phone's ringing at 3 or 4 a.m., it's Jeff and it's not a good phone call.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I feel like the whole beauty tribe is the 'we can't fit you anywhere else so we'll make a generic 3rd tribe and there you go'.  Just like with the No Collar tribe this past season.  Looking at the cast, aside from the brawn tribe, I'm kind of surprised who ended up on the beauty and brains.  A couple of them I might have switched around.  Of course, there's a tribe swap by episode 4 so it usually is a moot point.

I wonder, since we have to wait almost a full year, if we will get spoilers ahead of time.  I'm surprised more hasn't leaked out for season 31.

I really hope that Caleb wasn't air lifted out due to medical problems. I think he's nuts, but I also think he's great TV. I look forward to watching him in Season 32.

From what I understood, no one was actually evacuated from the game.  The people medevaced were already voted off, and I believe pre-jury.

I'm not necessarily against crossovers, but I hope and pray the Survivor casting gods do not take anyone from this current season of Big Brother for any future season.  Caleb isn't someone I ever enjoyed, so I can't say I'll be sorry if he's voted off early.  I do hate when a person is pulled from the game, for whatever reason.  Sucks for them, and if you don't like the person, it's more satisfying seeing them voted off.

I'm looking forward to Caleb, too.  I thought Hayden Moss was kind of yawnsville on BB but I really loved him on Survivor.  

I thought they bumped Second Chances up to fall so they could have the continuity from the spring finale where the cast was picked and shipped off.  

I hope the season 32 finalists were told their results early and sworn to secrecy.  Waiting a year to find out if you won would be tough.  

I forgot to bring this up at the time but Caleb was on an episode of Big Brother in I want to say late August/early September.  He seemed to be completely fine so I wonder if him being medevaced (If he indeed was) was not that serious.  If this was taped in May I guess that would be enough time to recuperate and yes he was only on Big Brother to host a competition so he could have still been sick or whatever.  I guess we will have to wait and see.

Now that S31 has ended, moving onto S32.  

Between the cast and the preview, I'm already hesitant about this season.  Call me old fashioned, but the promos that showed the wildlife and scenery while Probst talked about it being the most dangerous location ever were a lot more appealing than a bunch of medics rushing in, Probst giving it away that someone is being pulled, and open wounds being tended to.  Welcome to beautiful Cambodia!  So is the winner going to be the last person who gets medevaced from the game?

I get why they featured Caleb in the promo.  I guess I'm glad this was already filmed, otherwise we might have got...well, I'd rather not say just in case they haven't thought of them yet from the most recent season of BB.

Here is the cast list/tribe breakdowns (still no picture of Darnell on the Brawn tribe but I think they did figure out who he might be):

http://www.survivorfever.net/s32_cast.html

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

32 was freaking brutal. All the earlier spoilers pointed to people dropping like flies in the cast and crew.

And I hate that Caleb is playing. I disliked him on BB and I am not going to like him in this game.

Hes not there long. Its highly speculated he is one of the there evacuations. 

Also moving this post to here:

Something I'm wondering now.  In the preview at the end of the reunion. Have they ever showed future cast members like that in a preview? If so since we just saw openings of this show foreshadow end gamers I wonder if any of those shown were people who do well or is it just random?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucpaxqbgKY

Brains

Debbie

Liz

Brawn

Scot

Cydney

Beauty

Tai

Caleb

Edited by anthonyd46

In the preview we see the man with the infection on his arm (pulled from the game) is wearing a blue plaid shirt.  He will be easily identify before this airs. 

Edited by wings707

I'm not necessarily against crossovers, but I hope and pray the Survivor casting gods do not take anyone from this current season of Big Brother for any future season.  Caleb isn't someone I ever enjoyed, so I can't say I'll be sorry if he's voted off early.  I do hate when a person is pulled from the game, for whatever reason.  Sucks for them, and if you don't like the person, it's more satisfying seeing them voted off.

My guess is that if I had to pick anyone from this past season of BB to be on Survivor it would be Johnny Mac. He apparently got pretty far in the casting process for Survivor and from interviews I've seen possibly got to pick which show he wanted to be on. He has said he would 100% go on the show, he was a pretty big fan favorite so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he popped up in Season 33 or if they wanted to space out Big Brother contestants then in Season 34. 

Another person I could see would be James. But eh. Way for me to be like 4 months late to comment on this hahaha. 

Back to Season 32. I also agree, I DID not like Caleb on BB, and I don't want to see him hurt or pulled from the game, it is a lot more staisfying to see people voted off. It seems like this season was pretty rough. It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

Edited by SiobhanJW

I would like to see Johnny Mac play Survivor but the guy is like transparent.  He'd have to be in that sunscreen basket every couple hours, like Cochran.  

Were any of this seasons returnees, a season that seems well liked by everyone, reality "celeb" or mactor types?  Doesn't it seem like part of the reason it was a good season was the people voted in were just....people? 

Do not watch any reality how other than Survivor.  So someone/anyone from another reality show strikes me as a negative already as that seems like people who are trying to become actor/reality celebs. 

But my question/comment is...an evacuation doesn't automatically mean being pulled from the game right?  In the one scene Probst says "you are pulling them" so that's an obvious out from the game.  But couldn't some of the others be helo'd out for a few hours, assessed and come back in? 

This from some random website talking about Caleb in Survivor - accompanied by a picture of him shirtless in pink cut off sweatpants, knee high socks, cowboy boots and hat...he looks like a tool

on the  Hollywood Hills website, they shared a few Caleb Reynolds Spoilers and some season spoilers for the upcoming 32nd season. Also, the Survivor Sucks website got into the action by giving major spoilers. For instance, the site says that Caleb is going to be one of three people who will be evacuated from the game because of medical. If this is true, this season would have the most people evacuated players in one season. Don’t worry, Caleb Reynolds fans, He is safe and has returned to social media.

Also, other sources on the world wide web, say that he was taken out of the game because of heat exhaustion, thus he was airlifted. Meaning his game would end. For a tough guy like Caleb, he doesn’t want to go out like this. If he had it his way, he would want to be voted out at Tribal Council.

Heat exhaustion is dangerous but fairly temporary, an hour in a/c and some fluids and you could put them back in.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

Heat exhaustion is dangerous but fairly temporary, an hour in a/c and some fluids and you could put them back in.

I think I've heard Jeff say they don't do that because it's an hour in A/C and fluids the other players didn't get so they view it as an unfair advantage. 

Yeah the concept is pretty dumb and Jeff will be annoying about it like he always is when they divide tribes like this but as with any other season it all depends on the cast. If the cast is interesting and they came there to play then the silly concept to me will be quickly forgotten.

So if this concept utterly fails I guess we will be seeing another Second Chances next fall.

Well it's the second time around for the concept, so we already know how lame it is.

And if you look back on Page 1 of this topic you will see what Probst didn't say on the show--that this all happened even before the season we just saw and got... deferred.  So they'll have been been sitting on these episodes for almost a full year by the time they air 

Season 31 [Cambodia — Second Chance]

Air dates: September 23, 2015 – December 16, 2015

Filming dates May 31, 2015 – July 8, 2015 (in other words it aired a mere 2/12 months or so after being filmed)

Season 32 (formerly "Season 31") [Kaôh Rōng — Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty (a "2" after that is implied but not stated)]

premiere on February 17, 2016

Filming dates March 30, 2015 – May 7, 2015 (in other words it ended filming a mere 3 weeks before Season 31 was filmed, then had it's airing deferred by an extra half a year longer than usual)

Edited by Kromm

I think I've heard Jeff say they don't do that because it's an hour in A/C and fluids the other players didn't get so they view it as an unfair advantage. 

That would be super disappointing.  I mean, you jump up after an hour totally fine but your done? 

In that case I'd be asking the Dr's to just some put wet towels on me and have every body fan me:) 

From web md -

Heat exhaustion is a heat-related illness that can occur after you've been exposed to high temperatures, and it often is accompanied by dehydration.

There are two types of heat exhaustion:

Water depletion. Signs include excessive thirst, weakness, headache, and loss of consciousness.

Salt depletion. Signs include nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps, and dizziness.

Although heat exhaustion isn't as serious as heat stroke, it isn't something to be taken lightly. Without proper intervention, heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke, which can damage the brain and other vital organs, and even cause death.

Treatment for Heat Exhaustion

If you, or anyone else, has symptoms of heat exhaustion, it's essential to immediately get out of the heat and rest, preferably in an air-conditioned room. If you can't get inside, try to find the nearest cool and shady place.

Other recommended strategies include:

Drink plenty of fluid (avoid caffeine and alcohol).

Remove any tight or unnecessary clothing.

Take a cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.

Apply other cooling measures such as fans or ice towels.

If such measures fail to provide relief within 15 minutes, seek emergency medical help, because untreated heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke.

After you've recovered from heat exhaustion, you'll probably be more sensitive to high temperatures during the following week. So it's best to avoid hot weather and heavy exercise until your doctor tells you that it's safe to resume your normal activities.

Edited by marys1000

Well, Joe did just get the field treatment.  I think the rule is if you need removed from the tribe for treatment or diagnosis, even just for an x-ray that comes back fine, you're pulled for good.  I can see why.  People would abuse the privilege.  

So the new season doesn't start for two months and the cast hasn't been revealed yet but the three women on the beauty tribe are already doing periscopes together, though they really couldn't say anything about the new season.

So the new season doesn't start for two months and the cast hasn't been revealed yet but the three women on the beauty tribe are already doing periscopes together, though they really couldn't say anything about the new season.

Well I guess if you look at it from their perspective this all happened 7 to 9 months ago.

Oh no doubt. I am guessing thy are dying to start talking about it since filming ended like 7 months ago. 

Regarding treating players for dehydration/heat exhaustion, way back in Africa Lindsey almost passed out from heat exhaustion so they pulled her from the game, gave her fluids then returned her back to the game like an hour later. So it has been done before.

• Love 1

I think we will see the new hidden idol twist on 32.  I don't totally buy that they switched the seasons because they wanted the second chance vote to be fresh in our minds. It could be part of it but I think they wanted to milk the idols hidden at the challenge.  You can only pull that off once, and have it be effective. 

Edited by wings707

I think we will see a new twist from this season on 32.  I don't totally buy that they switched the seasons because they wanted the second chance vote to be fresh in our minds.  I think they wanted to milk the idols hidden at the challenge twist.  You can only pull that off once, and have it be effective. 

Actually I think they could milk that four times if they were ruthless enough. How?

If you are correct and they switched the seasons because of this, then that's two right off. Neither the Season 31 or 32 people would have any reason to know about it, so it can be used on both.

That takes us up to July 8, 2015.  If (and this is a HUGE "if") you squash any rumors from returning contestants or crew hard enough, you have one more window.  None of this airs until September 23, 2015--and in fact the reveal of the twist isn't for several weeks past that, right? So as long as you get a cast for Season 33 shipped out by whenever that reveal is... you can use it a third time.  Now I have no idea if Season 33 is being shot now or is pending--I'm just talking about theoretical timing if we take your reasoning to it's furthest extent. 

And a fourth time?  When would that be?  Well presumably the first cast assembled after this stuff has actually be aired will be expecting it. And if they bang away at the twist so hard they slip in two or three uses in before anyone can leverage the knowledge, then when somebody CAN, perhaps people will be paranoid about it for a few years. So your fourth opportunity (and likely the last) is years later, when nobody suspects it's time to try it again. But after they do that, likely people will be even more paranoid and a fifth use would never happen.

• Love 1

I can see this happening, Krom.  And I suppose they could use it on into the future if they space it out far enough.

My gut says not on that last. I see one additional chance after they drop it (again assuming we really do get it a few more times with people in the right "window"). People won't have any reason to think it will come back and you can leverage that to fool them. But once they illustrate they're willing to bring it back... then it'll always be on people's radar.

Of course the additional paranoia at challenges could be made to serve a show storyline, but really if you think about it if people aren't focused at those challenges and are ALL (not just one of them) poking around the challenge sites, then it will totally muck up the challenges (and that's not good TV).

I suppose the only way that can really be handled would be at some point for producers (off camera of course) specifically telling the Survivors that there are no idols hidden at challenges and to not waste their attention looking for them.

• Love 1

Redmond has revealed what the idol twist is next season.

http://insidesurvivor.com/2015/12/survivor-kaoh-rong-idol-twist/

Survivor: Kaôh Rōng will start with three separate tribes. Each camp will have a hidden idol as per normal. These idols do not all look different like in Cambodia – in fact, they all look very similar. There is a reason they all look similar and that is because the twist next season is that idols can be combined.

That’s right. If two players both have an idol each, they can combine their idols together to create a super idol!

Hmm.  Well, I like it, though if it benefits people I can't stand then I'll no doubt hate it lol  I don't see why they need to be similar looking for this to work, and I really hope they don't go back to hiding the idols at camp in the future (I know this season came before SC so they may not have thought about it).  But I'd love it even more for the idols to be hidden at challenges going forward.  I also hope they keep the idols looking different.  Now that that is common knowledge, a ploy like Kelley's might actually work with a fake idol.

Hmm.  Well, I like it, though if it benefits people I can't stand then I'll no doubt hate it lol  I don't see why they need to be similar looking for this to work, and I really hope they don't go back to hiding the idols at camp in the future (I know this season came before SC so they may not have thought about it).  But I'd love it even more for the idols to be hidden at challenges going forward.  I also hope they keep the idols looking different.  Now that that is common knowledge, a ploy like Kelley's might actually work with a fake idol.

I think this must mean that since they are one half of another they cannot be exactly the same.  One side may be a mirror image of the other.  And the symbol on the back may span both halves rendering them similar but not exact.  

If they are not used before the merge you would have to partner with the person who has the other half and they could be an adversary.  I like this twist.  

Edited by wings707

It's a long shot, but the Dutch version of The Mole actually did a twist kind of like this one season. Two immunity tokens were hidden in a challenge and could be used in any episode; if they were both used in the same episode, the elimination was cancelled completely. Granted that probably won't work here - both because of pacing issues (although if they're starting with 18 instead of 20, it might be built into the season like the various saves on other shows are) and because the contestants that season were celebrities worried about their reputations - but it's plausible.

It's a long shot, but the Dutch version of The Mole actually did a twist kind of like this one season. Two immunity tokens were hidden in a challenge and could be used in any episode; if they were both used in the same episode, the elimination was cancelled completely. Granted that probably won't work here - both because of pacing issues (although if they're starting with 18 instead of 20, it might be built into the season like the various saves on other shows are) and because the contestants that season were celebrities worried about their reputations - but it's plausible.

So does that mean it would be like the Kelley/Jeremy idol play (except no one would go home). 

In terms of people having to combine the idols to make it one super idol-would they be aware of it?  If it is, in fact, where two people have to put their idols together to make it a super idol, it would be in the instructions.  I think the twist has potential, if it plays out.  But you might get people so stubborn to work together, to where it won't benefit either one in the long run to work together, so they don't.  Also, one may not want to play their idol for someone else unless they are in really good standing with their tribe.  Since this is a newbie season, I'm guessing there won't be a lot of flip flopping or sub alliances this time.  I guess we'll see how good old Probst hypes this twist as to whether it is going to be a dud or not.  Makes me wonder if we are going to continually see new twists every season, to prevent the current cast from forming a plan around the old twists (and to keep this show 'evolving' since that was Probst's big thing about the voting blocs this season-that that was going to evolve the game).

Since this is a newbie season, I'm guessing there won't be a lot of flip flopping or sub alliances this time.  I guess we'll see how good old Probst hypes this twist as to whether it is going to be a dud or not.  Makes me wonder if we are going to continually see new twists every season, to prevent the current cast from forming a plan around the old twists (and to keep this show 'evolving' since that was Probst's big thing about the voting blocs this season-that that was going to evolve the game).

Okay, here's the thing about that kind of predicting though.  Don't forget this happened FIRST, not after the season we just saw. You are entirely correct that newbies are far less likely to do those kinds of shenanigans. But whatever Probst says or how he acts is split between things he did or said before he was even aware of "voting blocs", and what gets put in with post-editing (and at the next reunion show). So how much the season can be twisted as some evolutionary outgrowth akin to voting blocs will depend on if they had some notion of showing the show as evolving even before those voting blocs came along--or if they can make us believe that strictly via dubs, voiceovers, edits, talking head selection, and reunion talk.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Well sounds like a lot we don't know about super idols.  My concern being that a combined super idol = super power which could lead to running the game and pagonging which would = boring.  Wouldn't there have to be some sort of new rule that balances it out somehow? 

As to shifting votes/sub alliances per tribal council - I've always wondered why this sort of thing wasn't done earlier. 

Edited by marys1000

In thinking about it, there probably is something with the idols that tells them they can be combined to make a super idol.  The last two seasons especially, people have been very tight lipped about finding idols (which has made the blindsides all the better).  So I'm assuming they probably would have to have something in there to say they can be combined to make this twist work.  Whether it will work or not I guess we will see.

• Love 1
As to shifting votes/sub alliances per tribal council - I've always wondered why this sort of thing wasn't done earlier. 

It has been. 

Historically speaking, temporary alliances of convenience have long been a part of the game.  In the past, however, their volatility was usually balanced by (relatively) more stable long-term alliances - the normal formation and development of which was largely derailed by this season's frequent and unique style of pre-merge tribal shake-ups. 

With the development and deployment of long-term alliance strategies largely nullified, the short-term one-vote alliances had a much larger impact upon the game.

I think part of it was this cast all new each other and each other's backgrounds and style of game play, to some extent.

Any word on who survives..er...makes it to the final?

I haven't seen any specific cast boot spoilers yet, other than the medevacs. Caleb is said to be medevaced pre-merge (I believe all 3 medevacs are pre-merge). Sucks is speculating that Peter, Anna, Jennifer, and Kyle may be among the other medevacs based on screencaps and things said on SM. We probably won't be able to decipher much until previews start coming out and Jeff starts dropping hints about the season. I am surprised, considering the season was filmed almost a year ago, that more hasn't been leaked out in terms of spoilers.

Here is something from Redmond about a twist I haven't seen discussed yet:

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-kaoh-rong-another-twist-7730

Sources have revealed that there is also a twist involving the Jury. While not 100% verified, it is strongly rumored that someone will gain the power to remove a Jury member, thereby taking away their voting privileges at the Final Tribal Council.

The details of how exactly this power works, or how it is gained, are still vague.

The super idol I think is going to tank. The last few seasons people have kept very quiet about whether or not they had an idol. I'm assuming something will be with the idol to let that person know that it can be combined with another idol and make it a super idol-but will anyone go for it? And you may out yourself for nothing to the wrong person, put the target on your back, and have to use the idol sooner than you wanted to. I have a feeling the super idol probably gets played, I just think it isn't going to be executed well. And if this is true about a jury member's vote being voided-well, maybe they should have saved the better Second Chances season for the spring to wipe out what I think is going to be a poor season of B/B/B 2.0.

Is this going to be the new norm? New twists every single season, so they can keep going along with the narrative that the show is evolving?

Edited by LadyChatts
Is this going to be the new norm? New twists every single season, so they can keep going along with the narrative that the show is evolving?

I don't mind them trying new things but I still think the super idol is gonna bomb, by which I mean either be inconsequential or so consequential that it's basically the whole story.  Adding to the strategic arsenal, I'm down with that.  Fundamentally changing the premise of how to win, not so much.  

And did the whole 'B/B/B' thing add anything the first time?  Other than me hearing 'Brains, BRAINS!' in zombie voice?

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

There have been times that a cast has looked bad on paper but turned out to be one of my all time favorites.  So I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm really not feeling this group.  Along with the twists and medevacs, I'm already looking ahead to S33.

• Love 1

I haven't seen them all, but hasn't nearly every season in the past 10 had a gimmick of some sort?

There have been times that a cast has looked bad on paper but turned out to be one of my all time favorites.  So I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm really not feeling this group.  Along with the twists and medevacs, I'm already looking ahead to S33.

Agree with you - seriously not promising looking at all.  As I looked at the pics, I was coming up with snarky comments to make, but by the time I finished clicking through, I felt too beaten down by despair to even muster the energy to snark.

However:  I can't help just one:  Is that a giant boombox tattooed on that bounty hunter's abdomen!!?!?  Seems like he should be on that other show about ill-gotten tattooes?

• Love 1

I disagree. I actually think it is very promising cast. As a whole I like them a lot as they seem to be a pretty diverse group of personalities. Now that doesn't always mean it is going to be a good season but I am hopeful.

• Love 1