Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 05/18/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 5/18: Kelly Rutherford, Danai Gurira, guest co-host Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins

Tu 5/19: Pitbull, Chris Harrison, Sutton Foster, guest co-host Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins

We 5/20: Jeff Foxworthy, Eric Stonestreet, guest co-host Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins

Th 5/21: Craig Robinson, Archie Panjabi, guest co-host Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins

Fr 5/22: Amanda Seyfried, Thomas Sadoski, Omari Hardwick, Naturi Naughton, Alec Mapa, guest co-host Raven-Symone & Michelle Collins

Watched only the "Hot Topics"  segment.   They missed the boat on the Louis CK controversy.   nobody has ever said that his words would incite others to molest children.  The criticism is that  comparing wanting to molest children to liking a candy bar was insensitive and offensive.  I think if he had done it in a way that was funny, self-deprecating, or had a different "tone", I might have had a different reaction.  But I thought it fell flat, and he just kept on hammering at the joke.  

And I joined Joy in wanting to know "where is TLC now?"   I hated Raven for telling her "calm down joy, Calm down,"  as Joy was very calmly ASKING A QUESTION.  Gee, Raven, answer the question, or ignore it.  Don't chastise someone for ASKING. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Watched only the "Hot Topics"  segment.   They missed the boat on the Louis CK controversy.   nobody has ever said that his words would incite others to molest children.  The criticism is that  comparing wanting to molest children to liking a candy bar was insensitive and offensive.  I think if he had done it in a way that was funny, self-deprecating, or had a different "tone", I might have had a different reaction.  But I thought it fell flat, and he just kept on hammering at the joke.  

And I joined Joy in wanting to know "where is TLC now?"   I hated Raven for telling her "calm down joy, Calm down,"  as Joy was very calmly ASKING A QUESTION.  Gee, Raven, answer the question, or ignore it.  Don't chastise someone for ASKING. 

I'm watching "live" this morning, I know, I know.  I couldn't believe my ears when Raven said that to Joy.  OMG.  She really thinks she's all that, doesn't she??

I've never really paid attention to what Raven does, but she does have a holier-than-thou look on her face, especially when Joy is speaking.  Gawd.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4
(edited)

I heard Raven say that, but I wasn't sure what she was saying it for or to whom? It just didn't fit anything that was happening at the time; nobody needed to "calm down." If it was directed at Joy, she can just get over herself. I have never liked Raven. I still remember that stupid Disney Channel show she was on years ago, and the fact that it was the zenith of her talent says it all. She's an idiot. If Joy were to come back, I'd put up with anything, but Raven would definitely grate just as much as Nicolle and Whoopi.

Anyway, I disagreed with Joy when she was talking about how comedy doesn't cause suicide. I mean, naturally, the person who kills themselves is ultimately responsible, but having to hear yourself be the butt of jokes would be hard for anyone. I remember thinking the same thing whenever I'd hear a Michael Jackson joke--pretty much from everyone--about his looks down to his alleged crimes (for argument's sake, looking from an innocent pov). That would be hard for anyone to deal with over time. I don't believe in censoring comedy, but it shouldn't be a free-for-all.

I'm guessing Nicolle is taking it upon herself to bring us news of Bush, Romney, etc. because I wouldn't hear about them anywhere else these days. And everyone's right--Rosie P does sound as if she swallowed Wikipedia, but at least she has good intentions to avoid misinformation or bad messages.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

Yes, Raven had a very patronizing response to Joy.  There's something about telling someone to "calm down"  when they're not upset, that says that you are not taking that person's opinion seriously.  

Like, calm down, take your medicine, you don't want to have a stroke - when you really mean, 'I don't want to hear your opinion, and I'm disregarding you because you're old."

Maybe it's me, but that's how I heard it. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm sorry (favorite Nicolle words), but if George W. Bush were the commencement speaker at my graduation, I'd have to skip the whole ceremony for fear that I would seethe and possibly start yelling uncontrollably. Was the speech about his new painting hobby, skipping the White House years when he brought disaster to our country? I'm sorry, Nicolle, he was just the worst president ever, along with his boss, the evil Dick Cheney.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 15

Since Rosie O left, I've avoided this show except on the rare occasions when Joy or a guest I want to see are on. I watched today because of Joy. Again, totally bewildered by the choice to make Nicolle a moderator in Whoopi's absence and the decision to pay homage to Whoopi while she's gone. PLEASE give me non-Whoopi hours!  Her obnoxious presence is most of why I stopped watching!

Had it with Raven.  I'm so sick of the mindset that she shares with Whoopi that, because she has an opinion, it's automatically got gravitas. Honey, everyone has opinions, and most of them are full of shit, including yours and Whoopi's. The fact that you both shut down other people and wear black lipstick doesn't make your opinions any more valid.

• Love 10

I thought he was funny - that is his kind of humor.

• Love 5
(edited)

It's delusional and deplorable that Nicolle thinks her boss was a "great" president. More accurately and in line with Joy's thinking:

"No one else knows how to churn out corpses like rich white people. One million dead in Iraq alone. And the rich and powerful kill staggering numbers of people and never go to prison. They can retire to a ranch in Crawford, Texas, and paint amateurish portraits of world leaders copied from Google Image Search." Chris Hedges

ETA: for attribution

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 12

If Whoopi saw today's show and Raven's eye-rolling, Raven will NOT be there tomorrow.  Raven might never be heard from again.  I enjoy the quirkiness of Raven, but today she was more negative than ever.  You know "resting bitch face"?  Hers was aggressive bitch face...a few times too many.  Very interesting.  Perhaps she feels that by sitting in Whoopi's spot, she can make all the negative faces/eye-rolls Whoopi seems to get away with.  ...all the faces with which Whoopi seems to get away, Sister Mary Monita!

• Love 5

I could not believe that Joy let me down.  I thought for sure that she would be the one to straighten Rutherford out.  Here is a complete article on their split.  She neglected to tell anyone at the View that the father pays for her trips to Monaco 6 times a year and that includes air fare, lodgings and a car.  She also gets the children for the whole summer.  The article is very informative.

I can't stand Raven and she just shows us how "complete" a studio education is.

• Love 5

I could not believe that Joy let me down.  I thought for sure that she would be the one to straighten Rutherford out.  Here is a complete article on their split.  She neglected to tell anyone at the View that the father pays for her trips to Monaco 6 times a year and that includes air fare, lodgings and a car.  She also gets the children for the whole summer.  The article is very informative.

I can't stand Raven and she just shows us how "complete" a studio education is.

I don't know any of the true facts of this case, but that article is very biased right from it's first sentence.  I am not a mother nor an American, so no bias here.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but i interpreted this joy/raven/tlc exchange very differently. Joy had a mocking tone when she asked her question, as in,'tlc thought they were all high and mighty and refused to change their lyrics for tv, but where are they now?!'

I thought raven was trying to save joy from some embarrassment because apparently joy is not familiar enough w/tlc to know that one of its members passed away. I think that's one of the issues raven was referring to, amongst others.

I wondered about this too.  Raven over-reacted, regardless of what it was about.  At first I thought she was getting the message in her earpiece to shut Joy down. But then I remembered this show is a shit-fest.

At first I thought she was getting the message in her earpiece to shut Joy down.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the show right now.  The show is completely producer driver.  Everyone is wearing an ear piece.  It takes away the spontaneity.  One co-host has barely finished speaking when the producer tells the next co-host to move on with topic number 2.  It's very abrupt and makes the show choppy. I guess when Whoopi returns and "moderates" that will not happen.  Haha. 

If I remember correctly, when Raven appeared on the show several years ago, she is a Whoopi super fan and really looks up to her. She is a lot like Whoopi in some ways:

- They both have no hair on the sides of their heads.

- They both make questionable fashion choices.

- They both say things that are totally inappropriate or just down-right ignorant.

- They both make odd faces when someone else is speaking. (Remember when Whoopi's mother told her to stop it).

- They both give TMI about personal hygiene/bodily functions.

In other words, she's a perfect fit!

On the positive side, I like her confidence.  Even with the wild make-up, I think she is very photogenic and has beautiful glowing skin. She brings somewhat of a younger perspective.  She is a loose cannon and she brings the crazy.  Crazy can make the show work.  As Jumper Sage said, her studio education shows. But I don't think she is Sherri-levels of ignorance.  From here forward I will measure all ignorance against Sherri.  I don't know if Raven is ignorant or just uninformed.  If she is uninformed, she will grow on the show.

Things 

(edited)

The whoopster is back..I nearly barfed at the adoration that was heaped upon her by her co-hosts and the audience....I am sorry for her loss, but, I just don't care....Raven Symone definitely hates Rosie, did you  guys catch her facial expressions when Rosie was talking...lol.....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

For whatever reason (perhaps therapy would clear it up) I don't give a hoot about anything Raven says, even if it's snarkable. Now Sherri,  she was of interest to me.

I wonder if its because Raven seems to be contrary for the sake of being contrary.  She spouts all this ignorant stuff to get people talking or rile up feathers.  With Sherri, at the very least when she spoke it was genuine, genuinely ignorant maybe, but genuine.  Raven is just awful and pretentious and just an overall disappointment.

• Love 4

Ill tell ya... I get really annoyed when wealthy TV personalities cry poverty..... The Guest Host was complaining because she was being contacted by collectors about her student loans.... well the best way to end that is to pay your bills..... I seriously doubt that her financial adviser has told her not to pay her student loans...... they just want us to see them as regular people who are struggling..... a load of crap

• Love 4

i:m having a heard time generating a lot of sympathy for people who "can't"  pay their student loans.  I got through college without a lot of debt.  The small loan i took out, I paid back.    I had a bunch of friends who joined ROTC to afford college, then did their time in the service. 

My kids needed my help for college.   AND they took out loans -  the 5 grand per year that is the guaranteed loan.  I live in a state with some excellent state universities, so we took advantage of that instead of private schools. AND my kids worked - summers at local stores, then took jobs at school.    My kids are paying their student loans.  It's not much, a couple hundred a month, but it's their responsibility - and  a way to build a good credit score.  Some of their friends are griping about their loans.  But some of these kids are driving nice cars, going out all the time, have the latest electronic stuff - even as they're still looking for good jobs.  One refuses to work, one works at the GAP.  They can complain all they want, but I am against any government program to help out the people who DON'T pay their loans, at the expense of the people who DO.   

And I certainly have no sympathy for someone who is on TV who refuses to pay her loans back.   I paid mine - pay yours. 

• Love 8

Why didn't all those stupid women go prone & let The Whoopster hop from one to the other to get to her frog chair & then they could line up to give her a tongue bath & drink her Kool-Aid.  GAWD!!!

It should be a felony to be as full of crap as The Whoopster.

• Love 8
(edited)

And everyone's right--Rosie P does sound as if she swallowed Wikipedia, but at least she has good intentions to avoid misinformation or bad messages.

She was doing it again today.  I don't even know exactly what she was talking about because I was in the kitchen, but I could hear the shift in the cadence of her voice. I hollered in to ask my daughter if Rosie was reading from a piece of paper again, and got the answer back "you know she is mom!"  

She was saying something about 20 million Americans or 20% of Americans or something. Piling one statistic on top of the other.  I hate it.  The whole show almost grinds to a halt while they endure Rosie reading from her notes.  It's so embarrassing.  Like a first grader giving a nervous, stilted reading of their school paper in front of a group of adults being forced to watch patiently and can't wait for it to end so they can nod appreciatively and get back to whatever they were doing. 

If Rosie can't commit one relevant fact to memory for adding to the Hot Topics discussion, she should just stay out of it.  The reading thing just makes her look dumb.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7

Does anyone believe that Nicholle has a Pitbull Pandora station? I sure as hell don't.

Wasn't it just last week that she was shouting down Rosie to tell the world that she had never heard of rap or whatever.  

• Love 4

I've really had a problem knowing Nicolle was the Director of Communications for GWB. But today it all became clear to me when she commented to Chris Harris she was surprised he could be there the day after the first episode aired last night. 

Yes, Nicolle, he flew all night from the mansion just to be there and will fly back this afternoon to be there tonight because the Bachelorette just couldn't be taped and edited......could it? LOL

• Love 6

Damn! There's some controversy about that boxing match a few weeks ago. Now I know to skip Hot Topics tomorrow since Rosie will be stuttering thru an explanation as to why we should care.

• Love 2

That article is two years old.  It's now known that Rutherford's attorney is responsible for the ex-husband's visa being revoked.  He reported him to the State Department.  The allegations were probably false and never proven, but under the Victory Act, it was easy to deport him, and virtually impossible to reverse the decision.  She shot herself in the foot, and absolutely refuses to back down.

• Love 1

I agree with you RedheadZombie.  I could not pull up a link that proved that.  I loved, during her interview, her body language when they announced they had a statement from the attorney of the ex.  She blinked liked crazy and looked down - guilty much?  I love the statement was merely that they were going to abide by the court and NOT COMMENT OR SHOW THE CHILDREN.

• Love 2
(edited)

Since Rosie O left, I've avoided this show except on the rare occasions when Joy or a guest I want to see are on. I watched today because of Joy. Again, totally bewildered by the choice to make Nicolle a moderator in Whoopi's absence and the decision to pay homage to Whoopi while she's gone. PLEASE give me non-Whoopi hours!  Her obnoxious presence is most of why I stopped watching!

I've mostly stopped watching for the same reason and I believe what I read here (and have seen) about Nicole's obnoxious bff behavior kissing up to Whoopi.  I hate to defend Nicole here but I think she was the logical choice only because she is actually the only co-host with any kind of broadcasting credentials/experience (I won't say skill, lol).   Not that's saying much.  I didn't see more than a few minutes of her doing it but somehow it doesn't surprise me she couldn't do it.   Nicole has been such a disappointment to me this season. 

The whoopster is back..I nearly barfed at the adoration that was heaped upon her by her co-hosts and the audience....I am sorry for her loss, but, I just don't care....

Thank you for the heads up!  I feel the exact same way.  All the Whoopi adoration while she was gone was bad enough, I really don't want to see her bask in it too.

Does anyone believe that Nicholle has a Pitbull Pandora station? I sure as hell don't.

Hahaha, this mental picture totally cracked me up GiveMeSpace

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Just got around to watching Whoopi's return and actually watched it until the end (something I normally don't do). When they all come back for the sign-off, Whoopi says, "You know what? I am really living for the day when I don't have to say, Raven and Michelle will be back tomorrow." Then a quick pan to the two with a cat.that.swallowed.the.canary expression on their faces.

Did Whoopi just spill who the next cohosts will be?

• Love 2

Tuesday's show illustrated what a phony Nicole is.  She said she watched the Bachelorette  ("the whole show") in anticipation of Chris Harrison being on the  View.  Then when someone said "I liked the drunk guy"  she says "Which guy was that?".   really?  you watched a show, and didnt see a guy getting  sloppy drunk and obnoxious , grabbing the Bachelorette's ass, taking his clothes off and falling into the pool - and Chris H having to throw him out.  Don't say you watched, and then make it so obvious that you did not.   

And Raven looked RIDICULOUS.   with that mohawk , the front of it bobbing and falling into her face.   Then, interviewing Pitbull, her pointy brooch creeping up her collar, threatening to give her a tracheotomy at any second.   

• Love 5
(edited)

Why would Nicole not shut up and let Jeff Foxworthy talk?  He was telling a funny story about getting a text from someone informing him that "Tim" had been in a bad wreck, saying "pray for Tim."  He started in with how his wife kept asking questions like "where was  he at?" "who was with him?" but he didn't have the information and she kept asking him questions he couldn't answer.  It was FUNNY but that twit Nicole kept interrupting him to exclaim "women want to know! women want more information! women want you to ask more questions" until he finally just gave up even trying.  A lot of his humor is based on his gentle contempt for idiots who just don't "get" things, and I know he was probably frustrated with her.   But he was too polite to show it.  Nicole is such a stupid cow. 

Rosie just sounded so dumb and random when she proclaimed how funny she found Jeff Foxworthy, then added "and my sister Robin likes you, too."  huh? Robin?  Who the hell cares? Why are you mentioning her? It was just goofy. 

I think I will start ending all my posts with "and my sister Robin agrees with me."  Apropos of absolutely nothing, but hey if Rosie can do it so can I

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 8

Whoopi is nothing if not predictable. Along with all the self-adulation and gross body references, you can always count on her to get things wrong. About the woman who posted the skin cancer instagram -  no, she's not going to look like that forever. She had applied a cream which brings out superficial cancerous and precancerous lesions (and granted serves as a warning to us all of the dangers of too much UV exposure). The lesions heal.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/womans-skin-cancer-highlights-the-dangers-of-118869816902.html

• Love 5
(edited)

Never thought I would be able to say this and mean it but I am pretty much cured of this crapfest So i have not watched Louie CK but when he's on I'm assuming he gives his agent hell for continuing to book him on the show.

Today in and out of room and did I hear Whoopi say she's been praying for the dancer from DWTS to win after 7 seasons ?? Really ??? she had no qualms about saying she does not watch and rolled her eyes when other hosts would talk about it.

Nicole's laugh makes me want to put my hands thru the set and slap her silly, same with whoopi continually laughing while reading the monitor with the lead into something that is not particularly funny.

Mercy with the daily Whoopi euology.

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 8
I guess The Whoopster "let" them show her appearances on Letterman & that kids' show.  What other truism can they pull out of their butts???

You and I both know, MedicineCrow, how humiliated Whoopi was at those two clips that provided unwanted attention.  We could see it in her eyes.

• Love 4

Ugh.....and then tries to imply she and Letterman were "tight." He is a very private man. 

AND THEN Rosie jumps on the bandwagon.

All clips were from years and years ago, lol.

• Love 2
(edited)

Whoopi's outfit today.  Just wow.

You made me look Morgalisa and Wow is right!  I think that outfit belongs in the Hall of Fame of Worst Dressed TV Talk Show Hosts.  Comfort is one thing; looking like a homeless slob is another. 

Shuffling out in what looked to be bedroom slippers or slip-ons  with socks and that stretched out brown bathrobe looking sweater over some sort of sheer (yes, gross) dress was really too much, even for Whoopi.   Maybe she heard some of us are watching with the sound off and she needed to find a way to offend/assault our vision instead of our ears.  And for those too slow with the mute button she immediately got in a 'joke' about not being able to open her legs lest she catch a cold or something crude like that.

Much like this show, just when you think Whoopi couldn't look any worse, she does.   In contrast to Whoopi's mess I thought Nicole looked extra chic and polished today - I loved her outfit but anything would look good next to Whoopi today.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

You made me look Morgalisa and Wow is right!  I think that outfit belongs in the Hall of Fame of Worst Dressed TV Talk Show Hosts.  Comfort is one thing; looking like a homeless slob is another. 

I had to look too, so I found the show online.  Her outfit looks like a nightgown covered by a bath robe. 

However, I must give credit where credit it is due, and Whoopi's hair looked pretty good.  Much better than the last time I'd watched when it was longer.   It's scary when Whoopi has better hair than Raven (obviously) and Rosie (her hair still looks too dark and heavy in my opinion).

• Love 3
(edited)

Wasn't it raven-Simone that said Bill Cosby was never inappropriate with her when the scandal first broke?  Of course not, nitwit - you were no where near the age bracket he was going for...

I too wanted to hear Jeff Foxworthy just talk.  He seems like so much of a regular guy and I love his takes on a long-term marriage...

.Not one of these 5 hosts (I'm assuming we're stuck with Raven and Michelle)  knows the least bit about how to get a guest to talk.  Perhaps they could watch some of Dick Cavett's or Rosie O's or Joy's old interviews for how to do it.  You do your preparation and then just let them talk and you listen!  You respond to what they say - not what's written on your card.

Well to be fair to Raven, she said that because people on social media was asking her if anything happened.  And I believe she did mention that she was a baby during her run on Cosby.  Lisa Bonet is someone I would like to hear more from regarding this since their tension has long been gossip fodder.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 1
(edited)

You made me look Morgalisa and Wow is right!

Glad to help, Cosmo.  Haha.  I'm usually amused by Whoopi's outfits, but this time I was shocked.  She reminded me of my elderly neighbor who had a virus and was feeling like crap.  But she would never have gone out of the house like that.  

The entire panel looks kind of ragtag together.  Some of them look stylish, but as a group, to me, they don't have a cohesive look.  Hard for me to articulate it, but they look like random people and not a panel.

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 5

Glad to help, Cosmo.  Haha.  I'm usually amused by Whoopi's outfits, but this time I was shocked.  She reminded me of my elderly neighbor who had a virus and was feeling like crap.  But she would never have gone out of the house like that.  

She reminded me of a homeless woman in my old neighborhood, wearing ALL her clothes,  pushing a shopping cart down the street and muttering to herself.  

• Love 4

I think Whoopi just declared that she is a Republican...... she just endorsed Carly Fiorina.

Whoopi thinks that just because she is a woman she should be part of the debates..... She would be excluded if her poll numbers are not in the top 10... which is fair.... it has nothing to do with her gender...... what needs to be pointed out is it is offensive to think that a candidate should be treated differently because they are a woman

• Love 5