Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Girl Meets Pluto

Yes, Maya and Riley doing the Feeny call was gold, as was everything Feeny. "Is he a good father, you poor, poor, child?"

I was shocked that the jean jacket and the infamous Lauren letter made it to their time capsule, but it was touching. I'm a sucker for all the GMW callbacks.

Tomorrow is Eric!! Can't wait!!

• Love 6
(edited)

Honestly, this episode ticked me off. Don't get me wrong. The actors sold it. Rider was great. Ben and Danielle were great. It doesn't even have to be stated that William Daniels was great. Even the younger kids were great. But what bothers me is this Shawn/Katy thing. They are trying SO hard to make it happen and it's just sloppy. Shawn is in his 30s now, correct? I understand that he has trust issues. But the thing is, I think it would be better for this possible relationship with Katy to happen with Shawn actually deciding for himself that he wants to be with her. I didn't get much of a vibe that he truly does. Yes, they get along and he's probably attracted to her but this is all very forced. Apparently Maya can't possibly have an important bond with Shawn without him being her stepdad. Frankly, it kind of ruins their dynamic a bit because it shouldn't have to be that way. I would have been much happier had they just left the story line at Shawn and Maya in Riley's bedroom. But noooo. They just had to include the thing with Maya and the photo in the time capsule.

Also, where was Auggie? 

Edited by zayasex
  • Love 10

Yes, Maya and Riley doing the Feeny call was gold, as was everything Feeny. "Is he a good father, you poor, poor, child?"

I was shocked that the jean jacket and the infamous Lauren letter made it to their time capsule, but it was touching. I'm a sucker for all the GMW callbacks.

Tomorrow is Eric!! Can't wait!

Definitely! :) Feeenaay!

Word.

• Love 2

When I watched the very first episode where Shawn came back, my brother wandered in, watched the last scene Maya and Shawn had together and said "they're going to have a really awkward affair in 5 years time."

For a little bit, this episode had me thinking he was right.

Confused by all the updates I keep seeing for "GMW" - are they actually running this 5 nights a week like it's "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"?

Just for this one week. They're starting off season 2 with a new episode every night. After that, it'll be back to its sporadic Friday night schedule.

• Love 1

I loved seeing Feeny and the old set again, man i wished they would've shown inside Cory's old home, I kinda wish they stayed in Philadelphia.

I'm sorry Maya love ya but Shawn can be a role model without being your daddy, this whole thing is coming on too soon and honestly after all this talk about about Angela i kinda want him with her since he doesn't seem to be over her.

She's slow but for some reason Riley was all kinds of adorable this episode with the flower crown and pluto

• Love 9
(edited)

Wondering what "Big Boy Detention" is like.

Jail. That's the whole joke.

I'm in the "Shawn can be Maya's father figure without being her stepfather" camp. This whole Katie/Shawn thing is just a shade too contrived for me. Probably because it is literally contrived by Maya and Riley.

However, I can't complain too much. Mr. Feeny (and the Feeny Call!) automatically raise the level of quality for the episode.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 6
(edited)

But what bothers me is this Shawn/Katy thing. They are trying SO hard to make it happen and it's just sloppy. Shawn is in his 30s now, correct? I understand that he has trust issues. But the thing is, I think it would be better for this possible relationship with Katy to happen with Shawn actually deciding for himself that he wants to be with her. I didn't get much of a vibe that he truly does. Yes, they get along and he's probably attracted to her but this is all very forced. Apparently Maya can't possibly have an important bond with Shawn without him being her stepdad. Frankly, it kind of ruins their dynamic a bit because it shouldn't have to be that way. I would have been much happier had they just left the story line at Shawn and Maya in Riley's bedroom. But noooo. They just had to include the thing with Maya and the photo in the time capsule.

Also, where was Auggie? 

I agree with all of that, except, I don't care where Auggie was...and I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! But yes, the whole thing with Katy is extremely forced and Shawn has less chemistry with her than he had when he was a kid and was with his crush/girlfriend of the week. I don't see how Katy and Shawn are even a match at all based on what we have seen. 

When I watched the very first episode where Shawn came back, my brother wandered in, watched the last scene Maya and Shawn had together and said "they're going to have a really awkward affair in 5 years time."

For a little bit, this episode had me thinking he was right.

Yeah...the actress who plays Maya has wayyyyy more chemistry with Rider Strong than the actress who plays Katy/Maya's mother. That makes the whole thing even weirder because we just don't see anything between Shawn and Katy to go off of.

I loved seeing Feeny and the old set again, man i wished they would've shown inside Cory's old home, I kinda wish they stayed in Philadelphia.

I'm sorry Maya love ya but Shawn can be a role model without being your daddy, this whole thing is coming on too soon and honestly after all this talk about about Angela i kinda want him with her since he doesn't seem to be over her.

I was really disappointed we didn't get to see much of the old set at all, the could've just done part of the kitchen and had the mom or dad pop out for a minute..were we really to think they didn't stop and see the Matthews?

I didn't like Shawn and Angela but they were much better than what we have seen on Katy and Shawn so far. And yes, way too soon.

Mr. Feeny (and the Feeny Call!) automatically raise the level of quality for the episode.

Yes! Despite my complaints this was my favorite episode so far. I can't wait for Mr. Squirrels tomorrow, I really hope Shawn is also in the episode. I don't like Shawn and Katy/Maya's mom and they have just about zero chemistry but whatever gets Rider Strong more time on the show is great with me so I'll take it.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 4
(edited)
I was really disappointed we didn't get to see much of the old set at all, the could've just done part of the kitchen and had the mom or dad pop out for a minute..were we really to think they didn't stop and see the Matthews?

I can easily believe a visit took place offscreen.

I don't like Shawn and Katy/Maya's mom and they have just about zero chemistry

For me, it isn't so much about them not having chemistry. I've seen pairings that I didn't think had much chemistry to start develop into couples I thought had loads of chemistry. And I think Shawn and Katy play off each other well enough. I don't feel repelled seeing them together or anything, and have even enjoyed some of their moments.

The problem is the way they set it up. First, we get hints that Shawn longs for a family. He's also longing for a relationship (whether he says he's given up on that or not). So here's this girl he wants to be a father figure to. And her mom, who's single, isn't exactly hard on the eyes either. It's almost like they're this ready-made family, and everyone seems to think they could be his family if he'd just give having a relationship with Katy a shot. 

Basically, they've set it up to feel like it's more about Shawn wanting a family (and wanting to be there for Maya) than him actually being into Katy.

Maybe that's not what they're going for, but that's sure how it feels.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 5
(edited)

Yeah...the actress who plays Maya has wayyyyy more chemistry with Rider Strong than the actress who plays Katy/Maya's mother. That makes the whole thing even weirder because we just don't see anything between Shawn and Katy to go off of.

Except that girl has chemistry with everything.  Lucas sucks the air out of every scene he's in?  Put him in an exchange with Maya and suddenly he doesn't suck. Farkle annoying too much? Put him in a scene with Maya and while he might still be stalkery, at least it will be funny. Bring in some random one off character you are unsure of?  Put him or her in an exchange with Maya and it won't suck. 

So why would it be any different with Shawn?

The real test would be giving her a scene with Auggie... or even worse Ava.  That might test even Sabrina Carpenter's abilities.

Also, where was Auggie? 

Sitting at home watching Cartoons with Ava?

Really it doesn't matter.  Wherever he was it was better than him being onscreen.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

"Is he a good father, you poor, poor little girl?"

Oh, Feeny

This episode filled my with intense longing for everything Shawn and Angela. I was so 100% about that life during BMW, and I wish they hadn't broken up during college. and this isn't a dig at Katy, I'm #1 on the Get Shawn to be Maya's Dad team, I really I am, I swear, but I was Team Shawn and Angela first and I'm finding it hard for me to let go of that.

Saying that, I love love love what Shawn brings to the cast, I love him and cory and him and topanga and him and the girls. I would probably pay good money to see him with Farkle again. 

Great episode, but honestly, I love any episode with Shawn in it. (sigh, that long term crush on rider strong paid off for me in the most magnificent way.)

I wish Feeny had more, though. Just me? Hopefully he'll be back. (I'm predicting another holidays episode, but with Morgan and Feeny this time.)

• Love 6

Katie/Shawn is a tad bit too forced and it's being written in such a way it's forced that Shawn is part of Maya's life. Too soon methinks.

Loved seeing Feeny, More Feeny is always good :)

It's fairly obvious that there's a huge angst thing coming up between Shawn and Angela.

The Riley committee? While tounge in cheek, this actually makes sense as to why Riley is so emotionally immature, the other are keeping things from her, including her Father apparently.

Pluto is no longer a planet? Cmon. I'm sure Riley will deal with it.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wouldn't have minded Maya wanting Shawn to end up with her mother had they not been beating the idea into our heads since S1. Maya putting that picture in the time capsule would have been more heart breaking had there never been any indication that Maya felt like that way about Shawn, could have been an interesting plot twist instead of a cringe-worthy moment.  

Edited by SosaLola
  • Love 7

Pluto is no longer a planet? Cmon. I'm sure Riley will deal with it.

Riley can't deal with anything.  She's an emotional cripple, doncha know?

I can easily believe a visit took place offscreen.

For me, it isn't so much about them not having chemistry. I've seen pairings that I didn't think had much chemistry to start develop into couples I thought had loads of chemistry. And I think Shawn and Katy play off each other well enough. I don't feel repelled seeing them together or anything, and have even enjoyed some of their moments.

The problem is the way they set it up. First, we get hints that Shawn longs for a family. He's also longing for a relationship (whether he says he's given up on that or not). So here's this girl he wants to be a father figure to. And her mom, who's single, isn't exactly hard on the eyes either. It's almost like they're this ready-made family, and everyone seems to think they could be his family if he'd just give having a relationship with Katy a shot. 

Basically, they've set it up to feel like it's more about Shawn wanting a family (and wanting to be there for Maya) than him actually being into Katy.

Maybe that's not what they're going for, but that's sure how it feels.

Word. You hit the nail on the head.

I hope it works out for him to be a good influence for Maya. Not sure if it would work out with Katy tbh.

Is Lauren Mrs. Minkus now? I was expecting Farkle to see tge ripped up note and say, hey, that's my Mom's handwriting

Oooh good catch. Didn't get to see that part (stupid DVR). Hoping that it works tonight so I can watch it. Maybe.

I wouldn't have minded Maya wanting Shawn to end up with her mother had they not been beating the idea into our heads since S1. Maya putting that picture in the time capsule would have been more heart breaking had there never been any indication that Maya felt like that way about Shawn, could have been an interesting plot twist instead of a cringe-worthy moment.  

Exactly. But what show is perfect? Hopefully they'll handle it a bit more carefully going forward.

• Love 1

"Is he a good father, you poor, poor little girl?"

Oh, Feeny

This episode filled my with intense longing for everything Shawn and Angela. I was so 100% about that life during BMW, and I wish they hadn't broken up during college. and this isn't a dig at Katy, I'm #1 on the Get Shawn to be Maya's Dad team, I really I am, I swear, but I was Team Shawn and Angela first and I'm finding it hard for me to let go of that.

Saying that, I love love love what Shawn brings to the cast, I love him and cory and him and topanga and him and the girls. I would probably pay good money to see him with Farkle again. 

Great episode, but honestly, I love any episode with Shawn in it. (sigh, that long term crush on rider strong paid off for me in the most magnificent way.)

I wish Feeny had more, though. Just me? Hopefully he'll be back. (I'm predicting another holidays episode, but with Morgan and Feeny this time.)

I feel the same way tbh. Loved seeing Feeny back again. It was old home episode! :D

Shawn was just awesome through this ep, and so were Cory and Topanga. Recently it's been so much like BMW that it hurts (in a good way). I hope that they can keep it up!

• Love 3

My one issue is that Pluto was un-planeted back in 2006.  And Riley is what, 13?  So when in her first 4 years of life did she learn what the planets were, let alone get attached to Pluto. 

• Love 3

My one issue is that Pluto was un-planeted back in 2006.  And Riley is what, 13?  So when in her first 4 years of life did she learn what the planets were, let alone get attached to Pluto. 

Fair point. But it's a show. *shrug* Not a huge deal imo.

Eh, Lauren was in Age of Ultron, so she's doing fine. 

Loved the jean jacket. And the Lauren letter and Angela purse items. But I gasped when I saw the jean jacket. Cory and Topanga were the Cory and Topanga of my childhood this episode and that means so much to me.

"I was in Philedelphia!" I love Shawn. I love him so much. Can I marry him? And also, does he pronounce "Philedelphia" differently from the other characters? I've noticed this on BMW before and noticed it again tonight.

Oh, and when they first said the letter was not from Topanga, it took me a second to realize they didn't mean it was from Shawn.

• Love 4

Eh, Lauren was in Age of Ultron, so she's doing fine. 

Loved the jean jacket. And the Lauren letter and Angela purse items. But I gasped when I saw the jean jacket. Cory and Topanga were the Cory and Topanga of my childhood this episode and that means so much to me.

"I was in Philedelphia!" I love Shawn. I love him so much. Can I marry him? And also, does he pronounce "Philedelphia" differently from the other characters? I've noticed this on BMW before and noticed it again tonight.

Oh, and when they first said the letter was not from Topanga, it took me a second to realize they didn't mean it was from Shawn.

Yep. Word :). That had me grinning like a fool. 

Did I miss something, why are people asking if Lauren is Mrs Farkle? Good news, Lauren, Linda Cardellini is on another Disney show or at least her voice is. Maybe they can steal he away from Gravity Falls for an episode.

Did I miss something, why are people asking if Lauren is Mrs Farkle? Good news, Lauren, Linda Cardellini is on another Disney show or at least her voice is. Maybe they can steal he away from Gravity Falls for an episode.

I think it's due to the letter.

And the fact we haven't seen her yet (Farkle's mom).

• Love 1

It's either 2013, or Corey/Topanga/Shawn magically became the class of 2000 again. Never change, show.

I don't mind them forcing the Shawn/Katy thing, but man, I wish they'd be a little more subtle.

I wish they could have shown more of the Philly skyline. It's changed quite a bit since the show was on.

• Love 2

It's either 2013, or Corey/Topanga/Shawn magically became the class of 2000 again. Never change, show.

I don't mind them forcing the Shawn/Katy thing, but man, I wish they'd be a little more subtle.

I wish they could have shown more of the Philly skyline. It's changed quite a bit since the show was on.

This. ^ Exactly.

Same. Take it one step at a time.

Agreed.

• Love 1

I was just about to say that P2C2E. I'm all about science, and scientific research and progress, except in this once case. I refuse to think of Pluto as anything other than an actual planet.

• Love 3

I can deal with this over the part in Glee where Rachel Barry, who memorized Patty Lupone's 1994 touring schedule, didn't realize that Cats had been closed for a decade.

Just tell yourself that Riley had hand-me-down planet books from Corey's childood.

• Love 5

Oh, i totally assumed it was from Shawn. BMW was the original bromance for a whole generation of us. 

• Love 5

That was my first thought too. I wonder if Boy Meets World had been made now and not in the 90s, would Cory have ended up with Shawn instead of Topanga? 

• Love 2

I giggled when they showed Riley upset about Pluto. because it reminded me of Gus from "Psych" always saying, "You hear about Pluto, that's messed up." It never got old. I might be okay with them pushing Shawn and Maya's mom together if it means he will be on the show more!

• Love 4

Have rewatched this episode multiple times and the Feeny call just gets funnier.  After the first few watches, I focused on Cory and Shawn instead of the girls and the looks on their faces are hysterical. I agree with those who found the interaction between Shawn and Maya kinda....weird.  There was definitely a romantic vibe during the scene in the bedroom.  I really hope they stop pushing Katie and Shawn because, as I stated when this first started, it's really coming across as Maya being the whole reason Shawn is interested in Katie and they both deserve better.

And lastly, Ryder Strong and his "Women used to like me, right?" was great.  He has still got the timing and facial expressions to make every scene a win.

• Love 4
I really hope they stop pushing Katie and Shawn because, as I stated when this first started, it's really coming across as Maya being the whole reason Shawn is interested in Katie and they both deserve better.

Yes, this. If they'd had Shawn meet Katie before knowing she was Maya's mom, it wouldn't feel quite so much like he's forcing himself to like her so he can be Maya's dad. The whole situation is just really, really weird. The only conversations they have had are "We both care about Maya" "we have both been dumped". That is the depth of their "relationship". Ugh

That said, I get the girls' POV. They are still kids. They are naïve and romantic and Maya wants a dad. I just would love the show to take this opportunity to teach a life lesson about the many ways people can be a family rather than going for the fairytale of Shawn and Katie getting together just because they both want a family for/with Maya. Besides, how much more meaningful if Shawn stays because of Maya rather than because he wants an insta-family.

• Love 6
(edited)

Sabrina Carpenter and her inappropriate chemistry with everyone is amazing to watch. Maya seemed more jealous of Shawn with Angela than wanting a daddy honestly.

"My family doesn't knock, they're pigs." Riley at least have good one liners.

Feeney and his amazing side eyes. Oh god this was a good episode.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 3

I'm weirdly enamored with Danielle Fishel's reading of the line, "Not long" when Shawn asks, "How long does [Cory] have to live." Anyone else notice it? The acting choices she made with her facial expression, body language and tone of voice we're all unexpected but just a great way to go.

• Love 7
(edited)

Was I the only one who was annoyed with the bit in the beginning where Riley looked around like a moron for 5 minutes, trying to find a bird?  I get that she is supposed to be this naïve dreamer, but she looked like a 3 year old with her mouth and eyes wide open.  I don't like it when they make her seem stupid.

No, Gbb, you were not the only one who noticed.  I also got a huge laugh when Shawn swung the shovel and Topanga blocked him.  There was  "clank" noise that made me think the shovel hit a bracelet or a ring on Topanga's right arm.

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 4

I thought the writing between Maya and Shawn was just incredibly clunky in this episode.  Cory says something like "How have you not figured it out yet, buddy?"  *I* hadn't figured out where they were going with it!  Maya wants Shawn to be ... something ... for her.  I can't blame people for saying it seems like she's looking for some sort of romance there.  But again, considering the network we're on, pretty sure that is NOT what they're going for.

Have we (collectively on the boards) figured out what the target demo is for GMW?  Do we know what the target demo was for BMW?  With all of the discussion about Auggie and how he seems to collectively be disliked among board members, but that younger audiences would love him, does that mean all of the writing is supposed to be somebody of a younger audience?  If so, there won't be any subtlety - meaning Shawn and Katy are endgame no matter what.  If that's the case, hopefully the writers can do a better job putting them together than how it's been set up so far.

Lauren better not be Mrs. Minkus.  Stuart was long gone from being on the show when we met Lauren (or was he just on the other side of the ski lodge???), so there's no reason to pair them up like that.

Feeny was awesome.  How could he not be?  But again, poor writing - they buried the time capsule in FEENY'S yard?  Really?  Not the Matthews?  Just have them making so much noise in the Matthews yard that Feeny comes out.  If he "remembers everything" like he says, he wouldn't have needed to ask why there was a capsule in his yard.

I do enjoy this show, but this episode was pretty hard to like overall.

• Love 2
Have we (collectively on the boards) figured out what the target demo is for GMW?  Do we know what the target demo was for BMW?  With all of the discussion about Auggie and how he seems to collectively be disliked among board members, but that younger audiences would love him, does that mean all of the writing is supposed to be somebody of a younger audience?  If so, there won't be any subtlety - meaning Shawn and Katy are endgame no matter what.  If that's the case, hopefully the writers can do a better job putting them together than how it's been set up so far.

I generally assume that the target audience for any DC show is the tweeners.  Some shows skew a little younger or a little older than the rest, but I think that's the channel's general target demographic.  Of course, the morning stuff (and now, the Disney Jr. channel itself) are geared towards the preschool age to get those kids locked into the brand before they become tweeners.  But the prime time stuff is skewed to tweeners, with enough little moments/jokes to appeal to their parents or older siblings watching with them. 

(edited)
Have we (collectively on the boards) figured out what the target demo is for GMW?  Do we know what the target demo was for BMW?  With all of the discussion about Auggie and how he seems to collectively be disliked among board members, but that younger audiences would love him, does that mean all of the writing is supposed to be somebody of a younger audience? 

I don't dislike Auggie. I dislike the Auggie/Ava stuff. And, every once in a while, Auggie does something that makes me cringe. But, in general, I like Auggie just fine. And have been mostly amused by him in these first episode of season 2. For example, the whole "Let him be right, Mom," thing with Doy tickled me.

If so, there won't be any subtlety - meaning Shawn and Katy are endgame no matter what.

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. Shake It Up did this storyline where CeCe's mom was getting married. And the really built up to it. She met the guy, they started dating, she met his mother, they got engaged, there were wedding preparations. They actually got all the way to the wedding, and the couple standing at the alter, only for the mom to call it off. Why? Because her ex-husband had shown up a little earlier, and they ended up kissing (which one of the kids saw, and his reaction was hilarious). And it wasn't that she wanted to get back with the ex, but she realized that, if she was making out with Guy A right before her wedding, she probably wasn't ready to marry Guy B.

And I was somewhat surprised that they didn't do the "fairytale ending," but chose the whole, "I'm actually not ready for this," thing instead, especially after the build up. Never mind the whole, "Kissing the ex right before the wedding," thing.

Which is all my way of saying that I don't assume things will play out a certain way on a show just because it's on Disney Channel and has a younger target audience. The shows often end up surprising me with some "mature" thing I might not have expected going by older DC shows.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 2