Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Girl Meets Pluto

(edited)

I sometimes get the feeling they were surprised by how many of the original BMW watchers are watching, and are scrambling to try to keep things interesting for both the new target audience of tweens, and all of us older people who have fond memories of BMW, but now need slightly 'aged-up' writing not to pick things all to pieces.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 1

I sometimes get the feeling they were surprised by how many of the original BMW watchers are watching, and are scrambling to try to keep things interesting for both the new target audience of tweens, and all of us older people who have fond memories of BMW, but now need slightly 'aged-up' writing not to pick things all to pieces.

Exactly. And it isn't a bad thing. I think it could work out in the end, it'll keep them on their toes and hopefully keep the show going well.

• Love 1

Seems pretty dimwitted of them if they weren't expecting BMW viewers to follow the show.

I think considering their normal demographic, they were looking at it as a show where parents would remember watching BMW, and now introduce their kids to GMW, but not necessarily watch it themselves, because they have their own adult-oriented shows they're watching.

(edited)

I think considering their normal demographic, they were looking at it as a show where parents would remember watching BMW, and now introduce their kids to GMW, but not necessarily watch it themselves, because they have their own adult-oriented shows they're watching.

I think Disney Channel very much wants adults to watch their shows. That's why the adult roles on some DC shows are bigger now than they were back in the day. Many DC shows will throw in bits of subtle, suggestive humor that a tween viewer might not get, but any adults watching will. And some shows will reference things no one under 20 or 30 would be likely to know about.

I think one of the main reasons GMW exists is DC wants adult BMW fans watching. And that means making the show appealing to those fans. However, they do also want the show to appeal to their tween audience. And I think that was part of their problem early on. Because a show trying to appeal to just one audience can have trouble finding its legs early on, and GMW started out trying to appeal to two audiences. But the writers seem to be finding their way.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 3

I don't think they are surprised at all.  This is aimed towards viewers of BMW who are primarily adults.  No normal tween is going to care about any of these characters or what happened to them after all this time.  I am honestly surprised that the show is so popular with the younger set because a lot of what happens with the original cast is so meta sometimes.  I try to imagine if I didn't know who Shawn and Eric were if I would even care about them coming on the show.  Same thing with Angela or seeing Minkus or seeing Feeny or hearing the Feeny call after all this time.  

I feel like a lot of upcoming reboots/sequel shows are trying to capture the viewers who loved it the first time around.

• Love 1
(edited)
I don't think they are surprised at all.  This is aimed towards viewers of BMW who are primarily adults. 

A lot of tweens and teens have picked up BMW thanks to reruns. So a lot of the kids watching GMW are familiar with BMW, and do know and care about those characters.

And as hard as it might be for some BMW fans to believe, there are tweens watching this show because they like Riley, Maya, Farkle, etc. The fact that they might never have seen BMW makes no difference to them liking the show. But that doesn't mean they can't like the adult characters too, just as tweens like the adult characters on some of the other DC shows.

No normal tween is going to care about any of these characters or what happened to them after all this time.

Tweens don't have to know anything about BMW to like the adult characters on GMW. There have been adult characters on other DC shows who have become very popular. Amy Duncan, the mom from Good Luck Charlie comes to mind. A lot of young viewers just loved Amy. So much that when the actress was in other DC things, that was usually promoted heavily.

If the writers can make the adults appealing to the tweens, the tweens not knowing them from BMW doesn't matter.

For example, I know of some young viewers who had no idea who Eric was, but thought he was just too funny. (And thought the way he was dressed at first was hilarious, even though they knew nothing about the bit on BMW where he was dressed the same way.)

I just don't find it hard to believe there are tween viewers who just like GMW, and the returning BMW characters, whether they've ever seen BMW or not. And I definitely don't think GMW was made only for the BMW fans. If that were the case, the young characters would get no attention at all.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 3

Just like when we were kids. We fell in love with Mr. Feeny and Mr. Turner and they were adult characters, in fact I'm still upset that Mr. Turner was written off the show after S4. 

• Love 2

Just like when we were kids. We fell in love with Mr. Feeny and Mr. Turner and they were adult characters, in fact I'm still upset that Mr. Turner was written off the show after S4. 

Me too. He was hot ;).

• Love 1

Me too. He was hot ;).

Really? His weird not-quite-mullet hairdo turned me off. But I liked him fine as a character. I especially liked his dynamic with Feeny. I wouldn't mind seeing Cory interact with a co-worker or a boss.

Really? His weird not-quite-mullet hairdo turned me off. But I liked him fine as a character. I especially liked his dynamic with Feeny. I wouldn't mind seeing Cory interact with a co-worker or a boss.

Guess I was a sucker for that back then :P. Yea he was a good character. Both him and Feeny ruled. Definitely.

• Love 1