Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E19: Live Top 10 Performances

• Start Topic

Denna's song is

Somebody to Love

? I don't see how she's gonna pull it off, unless it's a different song with the same title. Or she's singing a ballad version. Hope she doesn't get the pimp spot.

Joshua's song is so bland. It might be a good soundtrack in the middle of an episode of Suits or whatever. He'll probably get voted through either way, so not like it matters. Speaking of song choice that doesn't matter... Sawyer is supposedly singing

Iris

• Love 1

Wow--Deanna is no Grace Slick that's for damn sure. I loved Christina's "Boy that sounded...challenging. You look good though." Even Adam gave her a lukewarm critique. It was nice knowing you.

That being said, the other females kicked ass tonight. Hannah, Kimberly, Meghan were all awesome. Even Koryn who has been a non-entity to me at this point did an amazing job. India is someone I can't quite connect to even though I can appreciate her talent. Whitney ballads do nothing for me.

Deanna is a goner. Maybe Country Corey? Rob? Josh was a big bag of blah, but I bet he'll get the vote. Sawyer will be fine, obviously.

• Love 5

Kimberly:  She's amazing and so talented but she's predictably great every time.  I want to be surprised and hear her sing something very different.

Josh: Oddly enough, I've been listening to James Bay's album on repeat today.  Hold Back the River is a great song, but that was bad.   He was struggling with his lower register and couldn't quite hit the hit notes.  It was a bad choice on Adam's part.  Adam's strategy is often to pick relatively new but upcoming songs for his artists and most of the time (Like Take Me to Church and Jealous) it works. But imo, this strategy isn't working for Josh.  He didn't do that well with Budapest two weeks ago either.

Hannah: That was...odd.  But I liked it.  That actually pretty much sums up my feelings on Hannah as a whole.

Meghan: That was incredible.  Never heard of that song before, but I sure want to hear it again.

Koryn: I think she's a dark horse, there's something about her.  That was really good. I'm curious to see what her position on itunes is tonight, I'm pretty her song will chart pretty high.

Deanna: Started off great, but the rest was ok.  This suits her better than the christian/gospel route though.  I'd like her to actually sing a Florence + the Machine if she makes it next week.  Maybe "Never let me go".

Rob: I'm liking him more and more. I love how he just can bust out his falsetto like that.

I wasn't able to catch the rest, will watch on youtube later.

• Love 1

Omg! That seriously was the best night I've ever seen (at least in the two seasons I've watched).

I would say that everyone really stepped it up. Even Rob and Dianna who I don't usually like really nailed it. I voted for Kim, Sawyer, Hannah and India because they were the best in my opinion.

I feel the only weak performances was Josh and Cory. They were okay but didn't really improve from last week, where everyone else was amazing. I see them going home.

P.S I was a bit offended by Pherell's comment about how gospels and Christians should vote for Koyren. I liked her performance and felt that as someone who is not Christian he was telling me not to vote for her. Was I the only one who felt like this?

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

Deanna went from two weeks of Christian songs to...Want Somebody to Love. Complete with Adam was giving off vibes about empowered women finding someone to sleep with. That's a 180. I actually liked Deanna's vocals although I think she would have been better served doing pop or pop-rock that didn't feel like she was someone we had never seen before.

Joshua was terrible. It felt like Budapest worked reasonably well, so let's find another poppy guitar song that's just starting to break on radio. Joshua was bad and if there is any justice, he'll be in the bottom 3 tomorrow. He's reasonably cute though, so maybe not.

I like Corey. Probably in part because he's cute (I know, I'm a hypocrite) but he's far less objectionable than Joshua. I'd be happy with him making top 5.

Loved Kimberly again. I'm embarrassed I don't know the song outside of it being sampled. 

Koryn was the best I've heard her. Her voice is still to hard sounding for my liking, but she did very well with that song.

Meghan keeps getting stronger. I have no real opinion on India. Sawyer was meh this week, but he should still sail through.

Hannah always sounds dated. I'm happy she survived last week, but I'm fine cutting her loose.

Koryn's powerful alto is like buttered caramel. I had to laugh when Carson said that she goes somewhere else when she sings, and she probably didn't even know what happened there for three minutes, because he kind of nailed it. I have grown to love her voice, and on that song? Wow.

Deana' s voice is muddy. And Sawyer, well, I love his voice and his tone, but I don't like watching him sing. He has sort of a rictus face. Rob was amazing - that version was right up there with Hathaway' s and Ray Charles'. He really benefited from some great advice from the guest coach.

Overall, I thought this was a good night. Some really strong performances. I think I have to give the night to Koryn, though. That was really good.

But on another note, I feel like Adam isn't feeling inspired by his team at all. He just seemed defeated to me when he was commenting on Josh and Deanna, like he's given up or something.

• Love 8

But on another note, I feel like Adam isn't feeling inspired by his team at all. He just seemed defeated to me when he was commenting on Josh and Deanna, like he's given up or something.

He knew they didn't bring it.

• Love 4

Adam can't fake his feelings.  He wasn't that excited about his own team.  I thought Joshua did a bad job.  First time I did not like one of his performances.  Deanna was much improved.  Don't know if I care for the song itself much...pretty repetitive toward the end.  

Tonight was the first time I enjoyed Koryn.  That quavering quality of her voice fit the song really well and was under more control than usual.

Really enjoyed Meghan.  Liked Kimberly too although her performance seemed a little subdued compared to her past two.  

Rob's and India's styles are just not my cup of tea.  Oversinging, excessive vibrato, etc.  But I recognize that they're very talented.

Didn't care for the rest.  Sawyer, Corey, Hannah. Actually I want to like Hannah, but her weird stage presence throws me off.  She smiles at inopportune times.  The dancing is weird. 

• Love 1

Well, I'm sitting here listening to the iTunes version of Koryn's performance. She was fantastic tonight and the song really fit her voice. The raspy quality really fits songs that have a bit of a blues sound.

I'm really enjoying this season of the Voice.

• Love 3

Deanna should have nailed "Somebody To Love" but she"s afraid to let her voice rasp and wail. She could have given Grace Slick a run for her money if she had just lost herself in the song. She's got a unique voice in today's market but she cripples herself. She should have been strutting around that stage and owning it, with those boots. I like her, but I don't think that she'll get the votes this week.

Corey - meh. That song made no impression on me. He may be a good singer but his stage presence is non-existent, IMO.

Poor song choice for Josh.

Koryn surprised me; I found myself paying attention and enjoying her performance. I may have to rethink my opinion of her.

Sawyer did a good Sawyer version. I like his voice - he sounds like the bastard child of Bob Dylan and John Denver, and it's a change-of-pace from the generic boy singers of today.

Although India did her song well, a Whitney song was a boring choice, because it's either done well or it's an epic fail, and if it's done well then Whitney did it better.

I like Rob, but enough of the runs and falsetto. I just don't understand the attraction of it.

I thought that Meghan did very well, but she still needs more animation in her face when singing.

I wasn't sure that Hannah"s version was going to work, but it did.

Kimberly is clearly the most polished and professional of all of them. She could fill the Tina Turner role in the music world, since Tina seems to be retired.

• Love 2

Although India did her song well, a Whitney song was a boring choice, because it's either done well or it's an epic fail, and if it's done well then Whitney did it better.

This needs to be posted on the wall of every singing competition everywhere.

Also, for anyone who found Corey's performance oddly lacking (and what could possibly have been the problem with having that kid sing about how he cheated on the woman he thought he had wrapped around his finger, she threw him out, and now he's going to get epically drunk?) here's George Strait singing Unwound.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8

P.S I was a bit offended by Pherell's comment about how gospels and Christians should vote for Koyren. I liked her performance and felt that as someone who is not Christian he was telling me not to vote for her. Was I the only one who felt like this?

Koryn always get this frozen smile on her face when he says this. I don't think she likes it either.

Adam was kind of a tool tonight I thought. No need to throw your own contestants under the bus.

Sawyer was bad tonight. He hit a couple of rank notes and he really made the song a dirge. I am over him now.

Koryn and Hannah were my favorites tonight followed closely by Rob and Kimberly. I hate the kind of music Rob has been singing but I like the emotion he has in his voice.

Hannah is just such an odd duck that I am constantly entertained by her. Normally contestants like her have weak voices so it is refreshing to have powerhouse vocals mixed with weirdness.

I wonder if Adam loses his whole team tomorrow night. They were really not good tonight.

I agree about not singing Whitney. There really isn't a point. You won't be able to match Whitney's voice or emotion even if you do your best, so why not pick a song by a non-Diva and show off on that? The only time I really liked a Whitney song on this show was Tessanne's. That gave me chills.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 6

Has a judge ever been eliminated by the Top Eight? Adam knows he's dead in the water. He's phoning it in, right now. I did throw Josh some votes, just so we won't have to put up with bored, bittercakes Adam for the next three (3?) weeks. Deanna is so gone, What was that shit? She's no Grace Slick. What a difference a season makes for Team Adam. When he knows that he has no shot, he really wastes no time warming up the bus and rolling it over his team's necks.

Meghan was EN FUEGO. Please tell me that she's outselling Hair Boy on I-Tunes. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Adam's like a dead man walking.   If he keeps down-selling what's left of his own team, he could be out this week.   Then he can just show up on show nights and pretend to be CeeLo.

I think Blake probably sees that it could go either Christina or Pharell's way this time and he's being extremely gracious to their singers.

• Love 6

Latest iTunes Charts (figure these aren't a spoiler since we still have 12+ hours of voting left and iTunes hasn't been accurate this season):

10. Koryn Hawthorne - Make It Rain (The Voice Performance)

16. Sawyer Fredericks - Iris (The Voice Performance)

51. Meghan Linsey - Home (The Voice Performance)

93. Hannah Kirby - Shout (The Voice Performance)

99. India Carney - Run To You (The Voice Performance)

104. Kimberly Nichole - Something’s Got a Hold On Me (The Voice Performance)

134. Corey Kent White - Unwound (The Voice Performance)

143. Rob Taylor - A Song For You (The Voice Performance)

150. Deanna Johnson - Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance)

158. Joshua Davis - Hold Back the River (The Voice Performance)

I love that Hannah is in 4th place right now. I hope she can hold on and be safe again for one more week. I need another weirdo performance from her and I really feel like Blake would lose interest if he lost Hannah. He doesn't seem as invested in his other 2 contestants.

• Love 7

Adam's like a dead man walking.   If he keeps down-selling what's left of his own team, he could be out this week.   Then he can just show up on show nights and pretend to be CeeLo.

I think Blake probably sees that it could go either Christina or Pharell's way this time and he's being extremely gracious to their singers.

I think Blake would absolutely be happy for Pharrell or Christina if he or she won, and he'd be happy to see them win (though I still do think he sees Meghan and possibly Hannah as his own best chances of winning).  That's why he keeps it so classy.  Given Adam has very little class, it's not hard to see why he's shown so little of it tonight.

ETA: Wow!  Koryn is winning so far?!  KORYN?!  That's new!

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 4

I thought it was a boring night. Kimberly, Sawyer, and India (my three favorites) were all adequate, but nothing memorable. I groaned when I heard India was doing Whitney, who I love, but I was glad that India at least did one of her songs that is less performed like "Run to You." I think she did a good job differentiating it from the original, too, actually. It was a little emotionless though.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

I think Blake still has a shot. He's got Meghan and he's got the country music voters. IMO, it's a toss up between Meghan, Kimberly and Sawyer. The two girls can sing circles around the kid, but he's got the teeny bopper download vote. It's getting a little nauseating, actually. I think we need to see Sawyer come out from behind the guitar for a week. 

Even if Meghan doesn't win, she's got Blake and Miranda in her corner. I think I heard Blake mention to her last week that Miranda had texted him to say how much she liked Meghan's performance of Girl Crush.  Really, with that support, she doesn't NEED to win. And Blake is smart enough to know that it's good for the show if he doesn't win again. It was good when Usher won, and it probably needs to happen again. But man, Christina winning is going to be TOUGH to watch, if it happens. The smug will be off the charts.

Yeah -- Pharrell just last season.

Was he done this early last season? I knew he was out by the finals or semi's, but I didn't think it was this early. 

Yeah, I don't see Koryn staying on top in the I-Tunes vote. Hair Boy will overtake her. Hopefully Meghan will, too. I hope Hannah continues the up trend. I don't think she'll win, but she's quirky, which is entertaining. So many of the rest are too vanilla.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

Koryn surprised me; I found myself paying attention and enjoying her performance. I may have to rethink my opinion of her.

I was meh about Koryn until tonight. Wow she killed it! Tonight's Koryn reminds me of Kimberley Locke (AI season 2). Finally a good song choice. Did she chose it or was it Pharrell? Fits her more than those power women songs she's been singing.

Tessanne did Whitney justice back in season 5, but I think she was the only one on Voice who did.

Everytime someone sings A Song For You... without fail, I went on Youtube for Elliot Yamin's version. I can't help it!

• Love 3

DeAnna's tone was great in "Somebody To Love" but she's not a good performer and when she tried, she lost her pitch. 

Joshua..wow..just bad. Terrible pick on Adam's part. You can't pick songs for singers that they can't sing. 

Koryn was fantastic. Really fantastic. 

Sawyer was great in some parts, but overall I'd say his weakest performance on the show.

Rob was a little too much, and my guess is he's in trouble. 

India's song pick wasn't great. She needs to figure out where she wants to go musically.

Kim was fantastic as always. 

Meghan was probably my favorite performance again. Fantastic job. Girl can sing. Great song choice. 

I loved Hannah's performance. She's a little different, but she's a lot of fun.

Corey can just go home. He was meh. But it's time to exit the show now. I don't want another Mia incident with one of the more talented contestants. 

• Love 3

I'd be happy if Christina won. I'm all about girl power and I've been wanting a female coach to win for awhile now. I'd be so thrilled, I wouldn't care if Christina's smug about it next season. It's been a long time coming. I do worry about Kim losing her momentum. She came out of the gate swinging so fast, I fear that she's already reached her peak and she'll no longer surprise us. I hope I'm wrong and Christina has a few tricks left up her sleeve, because I really do want her to finally have a win.

• Love 7

I was meh about Koryn until tonight. Wow she killed it! Tonight's Koryn reminds me of Kimberley Locke (AI season 2). Finally a good song choice. Did she chose it or was it Pharrell? Fits her more than those power women songs she's been singing.

Tessanne did Whitney justice back in season 5, but I think she was the only one on Voice who did.

Everytime someone sings A Song For You... without fail, I went on Youtube for Elliot Yamin's version. I can't help it!

I'm right there with you. The singing competitions should just retire "A Song For You" because NO ONE will EVER sing it like Elliot Yamin. Bar none, one of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard. *Sigh* I still can't believe he didn't win that season.
  • Love 6

Was he done this early last season? I knew he was out by the finals or semi's, but I didn't think it was this early. 

Pharrell lost both Luke and DaNica in the Top 8 week. The show eliminated 3 that week - Ryan was the other one eliminated, with Chris getting the Twitter Save. The following week was a Top 5. That was a weird format, all for the sake of the Wildcard, I think.

In season 5, Ceelo lost his last singer, Caroline, in the Top 8 week.

So I guess Adam is still in the running for the record haha. Goooo Adam! *smirk*

Edited by rollerblade
  • Love 3

The opening number was interesting.  Hannah in her white skirt dancing like she didn't care,  

Adam has already checked out.  He knows his team is weak and he will be a spectator soon.  Xtina is trying hard this season to be kind to all the singers not on her team.  It is the new Christina.  

I expect Sawyer to win.  I like the kid but I do wish he would try something different. Maybe if he moved once in awhile.

• Love 5

Joshua..wow..just bad. Terrible pick on Adam's part. You can't pick songs for singers that they can't sing. 

I wish they would consider this when picking the group sings.  The opening number (especially rocket man) was painful. 

Meghan's performance had me really listening.  I tend to half watch.  Normally I fast forward through everything but the actual performances but I'm watching live tonight. Koryn kept it going.  She may be picking it up at the right time.  

Prior to The Voice, I liked Pharrell.   Um, not so much now.  I had such hopes for him.  Then he went all super Jesus on us.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 1

It was almost excruciating to get through the performances tonight. I was bored out of my mind due to song choice(s).

Kimberly wants to sing rock songs and Christina gives her a dusty old blues song that no matter what you do with it it still sounds dated. Joshua was given a song that was out of his range; upper and lower. 

I agree with rollerblade that when I hear A Song For You my mind immediately goes back to Elliot's version, and no one else can compare (excluding Donny and Leon). Sawyer doesn't know how to express emotions when performing. I truly like his voice, but it gets creepy watching his rather blank stare when he's singing. Plus, he didn't do enough with the song to make me not compare it to the original.

I'm sorry, but after Koryn's performance, there is no way that India deserved the last performance slot with that dreck of a song and performance. She is just not contemporary.  I see why she didn't get the part in that broadway show, why can't they? Corey and Deanna have no stage presence.

Oh well I'm still enjoying this season as a whole. It is far more entertaining than Idol this season and I don't care which coach wins. I never have. I only care which contestant(s) win. 

• Love 3

I like Corey. Probably in part because he's cute (I know, I'm a hypocrite) but he's far less objectionable than Joshua. I'd be happy with him making top 5.

He is way too inferior to most of the others, and he thus doesn't deserve it.  But whatever.  If watching paint dry is your thing . . .

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

With all the talk about American Idol's slimmed down shopping mall tour, after tonight's show, I would like to see at least eight of these contestants on tour.

As for tonight's show, Koryn came, saw, and conquered. I thought she couldn't bring anything new to a song I'm starting to tire of on these singing shows, but I was wrong. She NAILED it tonight. Also, please STFU Pharrell with the pandering for the Christian vote. This isn't that BET show Sunday Best. Koryn can sing everything AND anything.

Meghan and Kimberly were good, not great. Sawyer Seeger/Guthrie/Ochs was better this week than he was last week, but he still looks like an extra from Children of the Corn. Regardless, we'll see him next week.

The only thing interesting about Hannah is her enthusiasm. That song she sang I haven't heard in nearly 30 years and after her performance I hope I don't hear the song again for another 30 years. Her back up shouters were the best part of the performance.

India is this season's Judith Hill (will see her next week, but so what?), Rob should never sing a song that many remember from other singing shows, Joshua was disappointing and Deanna made Grace Slick sound like Grease Slick by losing the rocker's edge of the song. Jim Carrey's version of that song in Cable Guy had more grit. I guess tomorrow when we see her in the Twitter sing off, she'll be wearing hot pants and a bikini top instead of a groin length mini dress to get votes.

Oh, I forgot Corey. Maybe that's a good thing.

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 2

I didn't catch all of the performances but the ones I did see (Hannah, Deanna, India) were just completely awful. India is no Tessanne Chin, much less Whitney. That was some horrible karaoke shit.

I don't know WTF Hannah was going for, dressing like 80s Janet singing a Tears for Fear song, but I couldn't get through a minute of that performance.

Its ironic on a show called The Voice that Deanna keeps getting pushed through because she's cute. Why didn't Adam just give her a Cher song and be done with it? No way was Ms. No Personality going to pull off a rock song.

Poor Kimberly gets a boring, dated song and the worst time slot? WTH?

I just don't get the appeal of Sawyer. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I guess it pays to a blond hair, blue eyed wholesome looking white boy. And the same goes for Corey.

I keep wishing Blake had kept Cody instead of Corey.  

Oh. Yes.

I thought the night was just "okay", not sure why its not better, if its the singing style of those left that doesn't grab me or most of the song choices (possibly, it's both). I thought Blake covered nicely for Corey's flub--praising country music fans who surely -would- catch it.

Hard to tell who in this bunch should go. Deanna would be my choice, followed--surprisingly to me--by India. Then Corey and Joshua. Still not really feeling invested in a win from anyone of them, though.

• Love 2

Current iTunes chart - http://www.livepopbars.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0:

3. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Make it Rain"

6. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Iris"

30. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Home"

48. India Carney - Team Christina - "Run to You"

51. Hannah Kirby - Team Blake - "Shout"
60. Kimberly Nichole - Team Christina - "Something’s Got a Hold on Me"
83. Corey Kent White - Team Blake - "Unwound"
87. Rob Taylor - Team Christina - "A Song for You"
99. Deanna Johnson - Team Adam - "Somebody to Love"
104. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hold Back the River"

Right now, Koryn still has the lead.  Sawyer's in second, meaning both of Pharrell's remaining members will dominate this week and get their votes multiplied by ten.  And it seems that despite the raves over Team Christina's performances, it doesn't seem like any of them are charting all that well this week.  Meghan's doing well for Blake's time, and Hannah is decent, but Corey is really low.  And best of all, it doesn't look good for Adam's team this week.:)  I think Joshua might still get enough phone votes to get him to the top eight, but I'm not as optimistic about Deanna.

So far, Christina looks to have a member in danger tomorrow, unless the fifty-plus phone votes I sent for Rob help him out.  (By some miracle, I'm hoping that he pulls it out and Corey hits the bottom instead.)  And if he doesn't have enough phone votes, Joshua will be singing for his life, too, along with Deanna.  And this time, I imagine Deanna won't be saved.

ETA: Well, I'm less worried about India now that it seems that she has just nosed her way past Hannah into fourth place.  Girl is picking up fans!

Edited by Donny Ketchum

Its ironic on a show called The Voice that Deanna keeps getting pushed through because she's cute. Why didn't Adam just give her a Cher song and be done with it? No way was Ms. No Personality going to pull off a rock song.

They should have given her a Cher song a long time ago. Heck, they should have flown Cher in to give her a crash course in using that type of voice to its best advantage.

• Love 4

So after our discussion last week of what pandering means.... Pharrell actually calls out for the "Christian" voters to vote for Koryn!  Ugh!!!  My spiritual beliefs have absolutely NOTHING to do with who I choose to vote for on The Voice.  It's a TV show!!  (It's barely a singing competition.)  And here is the thing that really gets to me, I liked Koryn the best of the night.   Up until now, I haven't really had a favorite at all.  During her performance I sat up and said to my son, "Oh!  I think I just figured out who I want to win."  Then Pharrell goes and just about ruins it with his little speech!!  I came really close to NOT voting for Koryn for that reason, but I did.  She deserved the votes no matter what her coach said.

On to Team Adam . . . my issue with DeAnna & Joshua is that I want to like them.  I liked them in the blinds.  I like their tone. I think they both would do well with the type of music that I would probably buy.  But they are not doing what they need to do to win this competition.  I don't know if its Adam's fault for not picking the right songs or DeAnna & Joshua's fault for not performing well.  I think they both have lots of potential but its way too late in the season for potential to carry you.  I think that both DeAnna & Joshua will end up in the bottom 3 tonight.  But I think that Joshua might get the twitter save.  It sort of depends on who is in the bottom with them.  (Maybe Rob?)

Regarding Adam himself... I think Noreaster summed it up perfectly... Adam can't fake his feelings.  I don't think he threw his contestants under the bus with his comments.  He acknowledged that there were issues with their performances and tried to explain that they were taking big risks and being challenged.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  He's known he has/had the weakest time from the moment the blinds were over.  I actually think watching/listening to Adam's take on the rest of the contestants when he doesn't have any skin in the game could be very interesting.

• Love 3

I realized something about Deanna tonight. She has no breath support; she always gets breathless towards the end of her performances, which affects her pitch and tone. She started out strong and I thought I was in for a treat, but it got progressively worse that at the end, it was terrible. I feel bad for her but she needs some proper vocal coaching. Christina cracks me up. "Wow, that was challenging!" The way she said it says it all. It seems like Adam has given up on Deanna. I think he still has hope in Josh but I can feel him giving up on Deanna. Deanna's stage presence is terrible too, which is a pity because I really like her voice. She should think about doing country music and not pop/rock. If she's on Blake's team, I think Blake will know what to do with her, flaws and all.

Koryn sang it well, but still not a fan of her voice. Just a preference thing. Same with Rob. I am not sure what he did with that song arrangement because I can barely recognize it and not in a good way. It was bad.

Look at Corey doing easy country songs. I wish Blake would challenge him more but I think Blake knows his limitations. The problem is, Corey is not a natural country singer, no matter how much he wants to do country. Let's face it, his voice is pop. When Blake sang that short snippet in rehearsal, I was like.. "So, that's how the song should sound like!" Still, this is probably Corey's best performance since his blind audition. He didn't have that mopey look on his face. Blake sort of threw him under the bus, though and Corey looked a bit pissed. Heh.

Meghan and Kim were great as usual and I hope they at least make Top 4.

I don't mind listening to Sawyer, but I can't watch him. He always looks a bit petrified. Not scared, but just kind of stunned.

Oh, Hannah! She's my favorite person left. There's something so infectious about her performances. She has great stage presence and is so comfortable on stage. She entertains me, so I want her to stay on the show as long as possible.

• Love 4

I LOVED Sawyer's audition. But his success every week since then has been baffling to me. His pitch is all over the place and his tone is not pleasant to listen to (has his voice changed?). And he just stands there. And yet every week "Home School Hat Boy" conquers all. Is it teen idol voting?

• Love 7

I don't mind listening to Sawyer, but I can't watch him. He always looks a bit petrified. Not scared, but just kind of stunned.

*sigh* Sawyer looks like one of those scary wooden puppets that come to life in a horror movie, IMO. I like the kid (and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins), but watching him gives me the chills. On another shallow note, India looks just like Gina Torres to me.

• Love 4

I agree with most of the comments. I think it's clear that Adam can tell he doesn't have a contender. He just might lose both of his contestants tonight, or Joshua might skate through until he's eliminated next week (though a better performance might theoretically save him, that's not as common). Hold Back The River was a terrible song choice for him. Indeed, it was a poor fit for his voice, both his high and his low register. Joshua has a nice voice but his range is unimpressive, so why push him with this? Pointless. Deanna was... I'm sorry I can't, all I can think of is Xtina basically saying "ouch girl, but you're pretty!". Seriously. She is not top 10 material at all. Not even close. Joshua and Corey, the other two weakest vocalists, are at least inoffensive and they sing little ditties (and frankly I'd add Sawyer to that list too). Deanna tries to sing like she can actually sing. Girl, no.

Team Blake is interesting; I'm trying to decide if Blake gave that song to Corey to subtly undermine him, since those upbeat country songs never seem to sell on itunes, or if Blake gave him the song so Corey would be able to sing something catchier with more rythm which might help with his nerves. He did do a much better job pitch-wise (a pretty good job, to be honest) so something must have worked, but the sales are underwhelming. Still, I imagine phone votes might save him. Meghan is just awesome. Which is why I'm thinking Blake might feel that he doesn't need Corey anymore. She did a fantastic job. That is one flawless singer. I didn't really like her before the lives but, unlike most of the other contestants, she has grabbed the bull by the horns. She reminds me of Craig Wayne Boyd like that. And oh my God, Hannah. I love her. I'm European and I may or may not have an affinity for 80s synth pop, so I was pretty excited to see she'd be doing Shout. Man, her voice is razor sharp. Also, it's like I can see all the reasons someone might hate her (she, well, shouts, she dances weirdly, she makes strange facial expressions) but those are all the reasons I love her. Glad to see she's probably safe for another week.

Team Xtina did well, but there weren't any breakout moments. The song choice for Kimberly was a bit stale, but she did a very good job (though not her best). I'd prefer to see something more out of left field for her, something she can feel, something she can make her own a little more. Still, she's a great singer. Rob did a decent job singing an amazing song, but his runs and his embellishments and his enunciation were just too much, plus that lower register was uneven. He was clearly trying to put his own spin on it but it wasn't the most successful effort in my opinion. India, I agree, is a Judith Hill/Amanda Brown type of contestant. Gorgeous, great voice, minimal appeal. Run To You is probably my favourite Whitney Song and I agree that is should not really be touched unless it's heavily retooled (or, like, unless you're Jennifer Hudson). Otherwise you're just shortchanging yourself. I also thought the song highlighted some range/power issues; she didn't sing the song to its full extent at all. I didn't like the performance.

As for Team Pharrell, man, I'm glad such an avant-garde producer is a coach on The Voice, so he can give his contestants tacky alt-rock hits from the late 90s. Sigh. I've said it before, I don't get Sawyer and his pitch is very problematic. I can see how the Bob Dylan-esque colour of his voice might appeal to some and even make up for the imperfections, but it doesn't appeal to me. And I'm over the hat and the samey "emotional" performance style. Now, Koryn, she went all out. I appreciate that. I love her deep voice and I think she's gotten better performance-wise. The growl in her voice was a nice change from the loud, crisp yelling. I also thought she used enough "dynamics" (as the coaches say) to showcase her range very well. Great performance. Good for her.

I don't really know who my favourites are. Hannah, Kimberly and Meghan I guess? In random order? I also like Koryn and Rob, and I tolerate Corey and Joshua. Let's see who goes home tonight.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3

Here are the iTunes rankings, as of 9 AM Eastern:

3 Make It Rain (The Voice Performance) Artist: Koryn Hawthorne 

6 Iris (The Voice Performance) Artist: Sawyer Fredericks

26 Home (The Voice Performance) Artist: Meghan Linsey

47 Run To You (The Voice Performance) Artist: India Carney

50 Shout (The Voice Performance) Artist: Hannah Kirby

56 Something’s Got a Hold On Me (The Voice Performance) Artist: Kimberly Nichole

80 Unwound (The Voice Performance) Artist: Corey Kent White

86 A Song For You (The Voice Performance) Artist: Rob Taylor

94 Hold Back the River (The Voice Performance) Artist: Joshua Davis

95 Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance) Artist: Deanna Johnson

Looking at these iTunes rankings, I find it very odd that Meghan didn't crack the top 10. I thought her performance was top-10 quality and that the country contingent would support her at least. I wonder what it would take to push her to the next level if it wasn't last night's performance. Does the country contingent only dig guys and young girls? Is there no place in country music for her type of gritty soul country?

• Love 3