Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E19: Live Top 10 Performances

• Start Topic

I LOVED Sawyer's audition. But his success every week since then has been baffling to me. His pitch is all over the place and his tone is not pleasant to listen to (has his voice changed?). And he just stands there. And yet every week "Home School Hat Boy" conquers all. Is it teen idol voting?

I love Sawyer. He might even be my favorite. I've enjoyed all of his performances so far. But even I can admit that his performances haven't been as captivating since his blind audition. I think Pharrell needs to give him better songs. I mean, I loved Iris back in the 90s, but I don't think it's a song that fits Sawyer's voice very well. But since his fanbase seems so huge, I expect he'll have plenty of time to captivate once again. 

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 2

Sawyer appears to be unstoppable at this point. All of his performances are still in the top 200. Now that's one dedicated fanbase.

KORYN HAWTHORNE
     3. Koryn Hawthorne - Make It Rain (The Voice Performance)
 262. Koryn Hawthorne - How Great Thou Art (The Voice Performance)
 353. Koryn Hawthorne - Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) [The Voice Performance]
1225. Koryn Hawthorne - Try (The Voice Performance)

SAWYER FREDERICKS
  6. Sawyer Fredericks - Iris (The Voice Performance)
 79. Sawyer Fredericks - Imagine (The Voice Performance)
145. Sawyer Fredericks - Trouble (The Voice Performance)
164. Sawyer Fredericks - I’m a Man of Constant Sorrow (The Voice Performance)
174. Sawyer Fredericks - Collide (The Voice Performance)
190. Noelle Bybee & Sawyer Fredericks - Have You Ever Seen the Rain (The Voice Performance)

MEGHAN LINSEY
    26. Meghan Linsey - Home (The Voice Performance)
    90. Meghan Linsey - Girl Crush (The Voice Performance)
1363. Meghan Linsey - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (The Voice Performance)

INDIA CARNEY
  47. India Carney - Run To You (The Voice Performance)
422. India Carney - Take Me To Church (The Voice Performance)

HANNAH KIRBY
  48. Hannah Kirby - Shout (The Voice Performance)
977. Hannah Kirby - Edge of Seventeen (The Voice Performance)

KIMBERLY NICHOLE
  56. Kimberly Nichole - Something’s Got a Hold On Me (The Voice Performance)
155. Kimberly Nichole - House of the Rising Sun (The Voice Performance)
615. Kimberly Nichole - What’s Up (The Voice Performance)

COREY KENT WHITE
    81. Corey Kent White - Unwound (The Voice Performance)
1133. Corey Kent White - Why (The Voice Performance)

ROB TAYLOR
  86. Rob Taylor - A Song For You (The Voice Performance)
814. Rob Taylor - I Put a Spell On You (The Voice Performance)

DEANNA JOHNSON
  95. Deanna Johnson - Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance)
410. Deanna Johnson - Down To the River To Pray (The Voice Performance)
692. Deanna Johnson - Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) [The Voice Performance]

JOSHUA DAVIS
  94. Joshua Davis - Hold Back the River (The Voice Performance)
552. Joshua Davis - Budapest (The Voice Performance)
743. Joshua Davis - America (The Voice Performance)

Edited by yourpointis
  • Love 1

I thought Sawyer sounded wretched last night and expected him to be on the bottom of iTunes.  I still thought he'd not be bottom 3 with the other voting methods.  Dear god, he ruined Iris.  Again, why would people buy a song where he sounds horrible?  Then again, I also thought "Shout" was bad, and I like Hannah too.  Actually, I thought they were all either bad or boring except for Koryn and Meghan.  Koryn really impressed me last night.  I thought she'd be on top - at least I got that one right.  

• Love 1

The opening number was interesting. 

It was like a Kid Bop Elton John.  Not good to my ears.

I was underwhelmed.  I thought they had some interesting choices for the mentor assistants this week and we only got a wee bit of their interaction.  Is Mark Ronson always that low energy?  Cause I was thinking they should check for a pulse.

Christina made a good call on Hannah dressing Janet Jacksonesque.  Curious styling choice considering they wanted to try to severe the 80s association with the song.  Of course, Janet had moves and Hannah has something else.

Deanna's Somebody to Love was severely lacking.  I was never a fan of the song in the first place but even over the radio you felt Grace Slick's intensity.

India was good, but seemed to be disconnected from the song.

Corey - so not in his wheelhouse.

Sawyer - there's some interesting aspect of his voice, but I think he boggled this one.  Plus, he seems to just stand and perform (nicely at times) but with no connection to the song.  That really showed on Iris.  In terms of appeal, he's falling way short for me.  I usually am a big fan of the androgenous look but Sawyer is just so bland.

• Love 1

Sawyer Seeger/Guthrie/Ochs was better this week than he was last week, but he still looks like an extra from Children of the Corn. Regardless, we'll see him next week.

Sawyer doesn't belong in the same sentence as Seeger, Guthrie and Ochs. He seems like a nice kid, with an intermittently pleasant voice, but that's a far cry from demonstrating the complete emotional and lyrical understanding those three brought to the lyrics they sang.
  • Love 1

I'm annoyed when the song "Song FOR You" is sung as 'Song TO You" not only by Rob, but I've head it that way before. Same way some people get mad when the lyrics to "House of the Rising Sun" are misinterpreted.

On a positive note, I find myself liking Kimberly and Hannah more and more and look forward to seeing them around 'til the end, and neither of them is in my wheelhouse.

Here's the iTunes list as of 11am:

3.) Koryn - Make It Rain

4.) Sawyer - Iris

25.) Meghan - Home

45.) India - Run to You

47.) Hannah - Shout

51.) Kimberly - Something's Got a Hold on Me

81.) Corey - Unwound

83.) Josh - Hold Back the River

87.) Rob - A Song for You

92.) Deanna - Somebody to Love

Looking at these iTunes rankings, I find it very odd that Meghan didn't crack the top 10. I thought her performance was top-10 quality and that the country contingent would support her at least. I wonder what it would take to push her to the next level if it wasn't last night's performance. Does the country contingent only dig guys and young girls? Is there no place in country music for her type of gritty soul country?

I agree. I don't respond well to country but this was my kind of country: more blues and rock and roll than folk and bluegrass. It was the first time I've liked her and was maybe the performance of the night for me, too.

I had to laugh at Christina having her team sing all the songs she's covered: A Song for You, Run to You, Something's Got A Hold On Me. So I couldn't help but contrast them and didn't like their versions as much, except for Kimberly with Something's Got A Hold On Me. She really did well but I agree with those who don't care for her Fantasia-like tone.

I loved, loved, loved having the accomplished producers there. The technical, substance-driven commentary is everything and I want that over the redundancy of having more artists come on to mentor for the pre-lives shows.

• Love 1

Well, it's top 10 and I'm still not getting the Sawyer love. It's like, I understand there's supposed to be something magical there, but I just don't feel it. To me, he just sounds so... ordinary. *shrug*

Koryn was freaken awesome. Out of the big voices I find Koryn and Meghan to be much more entertaining and interesting to watch then either India or Kimberly.

By the looks of itunes, it seems like Adam's pretty much out. I think Deanna's pretty bad and I find Joshua (who has a good voice) to be dull, so it's A okay with me. 

• Love 1

I thought the performance of the night belonged to Koryn. Up to now, I'll admit that she wasn't one of my favorites, but last night, she really impressed me. I'm glad to see her doing so well on iTunes.

I also liked Hannah, Kimberly, India, and Sawyer.

I think that Adam's team may be in trouble tonight. Joshua's performance was poor and Deanna didn't do well either. Christina's critique pretty much said it all.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 2

Looking at these iTunes rankings, I find it very odd that Meghan didn't crack the top 10. I thought her performance was top-10 quality and that the country contingent would support her at least. I wonder what it would take to push her to the next level if it wasn't last night's performance. Does the country contingent only dig guys and young girls? Is there no place in country music for her type of gritty soul country?

Meghan's song last week, Girl Crush, cracked the top 5. Maybe this song wasn't considered country enough.

I also don't get Sawyer at all. My husband loves the guy, so it's not just teen girls.

• Love 1
Is there no place in country music for her type of gritty soul country?

I hope so. That's what Miranda Lambert is to me. Not so much "soul," but definitely gritty. More twangy Country than Meghan, and probably younger, though. I can see her taking an interest in Meghan, post show. 

What time is the I-Tunes cut off for votes? As of 12:00:

3: Koryn (was I wrong about her, or what? I thought she would have dropped by now)

4. Sawyer (Seriously, people? He stands there, doesn't move, hides behind his guitar and his hair, and sounds exactly the same each week)

25. Meghan (if she had closed the show, or at least sang in the second half of the show, she'd be ranked higher)

45. Hannah

46. India

52. Kimberly (off week, but still should be safe. She opened the show, and that's always a problem)

In danger:

78. Corey

82. Joshua 

88. Rob

91. Deanna

Edited by ChicksDigScars

I usually don't get the WGWG. Usually they struggle to stay on pitch (which Sawyer did this week in the beginning, but he usually doesn't) or they bore me. But I love Sawyer. He's not the best this competition has to offer (Kimberly, Meghan, Mia Z *weeps*) but he's been one of my favorites from the beginning. He's just interesting. 

• Love 4

I think the cut off is 12 EST and ITunes has them still about where they've been:

3 - Koryn

4 - Sawyer

25 - Meghan

46 - India

47 - Hannah

51 - Kimberly

80 - Corey Kent White

83 - Joshua

88 - Rob

93 - Deanna

I was thinking the bottom 4 would be exactly who they are, so no surprises.  Well, maybe Rob.  I'm not fond of that oversinging thing, and throwing runs around just to be throwing - but I thought other people like him more than I did.  I'm almost certain hairboy will win this thing.  He is SUCH a robot.  No emotion, no happy, no sad, no nothing.  I do think his hair is attached to the hat.  I bet he's got a farmboy buzz.  Don't I wish Pharrell would give him "Moves like Jagger" for next week.  Put DOWN that stupid guitar and show us something else.  Drives me crazy.

• Love 1

Itunes voting closes at 12 noon ET.  Just a reminder, the itunes curve is very steep.  There's a big sales difference between #10 and #30.  Less of a difference between #30 and #50.  Much less of a difference between #50 and #70, and so on.  And then, of course, it's hard to say whether the itunes sales are a good reflection of total voting.  Remember that last week, Deanna charted at #36 yet landed in the bottom 3.  

The thing that really surprised me about Joshua's poor performance is that he is an experienced professional.  The song choice may not have been a good one (although I think the style was a good fit) and it does expose his limited range and power.  But Joshua should be able to make it sound somewhat decent, or if not, know to push back against the song choice.  I'm really surprised. 

At the same time, I've felt for a little while now that Joshua is not long for this show.  The contestants usually need to showcase some range and versatility to make it to the end.  Joshua is really good at what he does but he has noticeable limitations. Then again, Sawyer is pretty much doing the same thing every week and that hasn't hurt him. 

Regarding Pharrell and his comments about Koryn and Christian voters, he has mentioned it once or twice before.  I've only been watching the live shows in bits and pieces so perhaps there's a good reason for it and Koryn has been talking about it in rehearsals or something like that.  But Pharrell has been pretty blatant about encouraging the Christian/gospel audience to root for Koryn.

Kimberly sounded OK with what I heard from the kitchen.

Joshua sucked. Song choice was horrible and exposed his lower register.

Hannah was alright. Blake better not turn her into an even weirder Lady Gaga clone because she has a really cool voice. If Blake can utilize her well, she can make it to the finals IMO.

I love Marc Broussard and I thought Meghan did a pretty good job but there are more songs to his collection than just Home. Come Around, Must Be The Water, Keep Coming Back, Gavin's Song, Evangeline Rose are some of his best songs.

Koryn did a fantastic job.

Deanna was horrible...bleating all over the place. It should be curtains tomorrow night for her.

I wasn't really on the Rob train before but now I am most certainly never going to be on board after his butchering of A Song For You. Elliott Yamin's performance of that song brought me to tears and it still remains the only performance of any singing show that has done it. They need to retire this song from competition lest Christina or one of her team members picks it again.

Corey is super forgettable which means top 6 here we come!

I am slowly getting off the Sawyer train. He has been getting worse each week and this week was no exception when he decided to throw in a couple of flat notes in there.

India was rushing Run To You. What could have been a spectacular moment turns out to be just average. Meh.

Ranking

1. Koryn

2. Meghan

<BIG GAP>

3. Kimberly

4. Hannah

5. Corey

6. India

7. Sawyer

8. Rob

9. Joshua

10. Deanna

• Love 3
I'm not fond of that oversinging thing, and throwing runs around just to be throwing  

Team Christina (and Christina, herself). I'm giving you the side eye.

Don't I wish Pharrell would give him "Moves like Jagger" for next week.  Put DOWN that stupid guitar and show us something else.  Drives me crazy.

YES. I would pay money for this. 

I want a guest coach to look at him and say, "Do you move? Do you ever step out from behind that guitar?" Kinda the way Blake and his guest coach did to Whats-his-face last night.  It wasn't an IMPROVEMENT, singing wise, but it changed things up a bit. Every other past contestant who has shown up with an instrument, was encouraged to put down the binky and go solo. Why not Sawyer? Because he charts well no matter how boring he sounds? Because he has pretty hair? He's got enough of a fanbase that he can afford to try SOMETHING different, whether it be an uptempo song (PLEASE....I'm bored!) or putting down the guitar.  And putting down the guitar and sitting on a stool to sing yet another rock ballad isn't enough, Pharrell. 

Sawyer was one of my favorites but now it's just the same damn thing week after week after week.  No more votes for him until he surprises me. He's still the cutest thing ever though.

At least, with the exception of Sawyer, it seems people are voting based on how well they sing.

Whoever sang SHOUT sucked. Is that Hannah?  I still listen to that song to this day. Just no.

I threw ten votes Rob's way since he's in trouble.

NOW, KORYN!  Wow.  That was fantastic. I was watching my Warriors and flipping back and forth but just had to stop and watch her and then rewind and watch her again.  I've always looked at her as king of an underdog but man she really catapulted herself  to the top this week. I have liked her from her audition but felt she was too bitch face for this show (reminded me in a way of Jennifer Hudson when she was on idol) but this week she seemed to be more relaxed and smiling and plus when they wanted her to sing in falsetto and she said "I can't do that" I just cracked up. Her voice is unique although I hear shades of Toni Braxton from time to time.  I will definitely buy this song.

• Love 2

I'm still on the Sawyer train and I look forward each week to hear his unique interpretation of a song.  The emotion he puts into his music is incredible particularly since he is so young.  Yes he stands on stage and plays the guitar but I prefer that to the gimmicks some of the other artists need to be entertaining.  I don't even vote but when he puts out his first album I will buy it... and I am no teeny-bopper!  You can tell that it's the point in the show when all of the singers voices are getting strained and tired. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I usually love it when singers play guitar (or, occasionally, piano). I think it should be a huge help to stay on pitch, huge help rehearsing with (and especially without) the band, and gives a performance a little more visual interest for someone who doesn't move well. Also, when they play particularly well (James Taylor comes to mind for the styles Joshua and Sawyer go for), it is just so good to hear and watch. And can give such an important alternative when you aren't feeling what the band is doing in rehearsals.

I can't prove it, but I think when TV singers are also playing guitar, they aren't "Xtina-ing up" a song with meaningless runs and distracting vocal embellishments. Again, imo, all to the good.

Looks like Deanna will leave tonight. It would be quite a surprise if by the end of next week Adam is already completely out of it.

• Love 1

Sawyer is pretty much the most underwhelming front runner this show has ever had.  So boring.  I guess I see him doing well on the show, but I don't see him successful post-show either?  I don't understand what his target audience is?  Also, Iris was laughably bad.  I don't even no how to describe it.  If things results were actually based on performance and talent, he'd be in the bottom 3 with Deanna and Joshua.

• Love 6

I'm annoyed when the song "Song FOR You" is sung as 'Song TO You" not only by Rob, but I've head it that way before. Same way some people get mad when the lyrics to "House of the Rising Sun" are misinterpreted.

As one of the people who gets all irritated about House of The Rising Sun, I sympathize. I'm not sure if this helps, but even Leon Russell seems to alternate between singing "to" and "for" when he performs "A Song For You" and he wrote it!

I like Josh and was sorry to see him given a song that just wasn't right for him.  I figure he'll be one of the eliminated tonight - probably along with Deanna.  

Koryn has pretty much been a non-entity for me until last night because I stopped what I was doing and watched her performance.  It was perfection.  I agree with the person above who said spiritual beliefs don't translate to votes on a TV reality show.  For me, it never has and never will.  I voted for Koryn because it was a beautiful performance and the best of the night.  

On the other hand, I stopped what I was doing and watched Hannah because it was so incredibly odd, not because I was particularly captivated.  She's certainly not my favorite but "Shout" was good in a weird way.

I love country but Corey has been a huge disappointment since his audition.  I don't think Blake kept the right country guy.

Sawyer isn't doing it for me and I'm gobsmacked at his iTunes numbers.  Whatever.

Rob's delivery of "A Song For You" was way too overwrought for me.  Add me to the list of people who adored the Elliott Yamin version on American Idol of long ago.    Still my favorite (along with the incredible version done by Karen Carpenter).  

• Love 2

I think my total viewing time for this show on DVR is down to less than 30 minutes. I skip the commercials, prep sessions, coaches commentary, and even many of the performances if they don't grab me in the first 30 seconds. It's goddamned glorious this way, you guys!

I think the only ones I watched in full were Hannah, Meghan, Rob, and Deanna (but Deanna only because I left it playing while I was getting a soda from the kitchen). Most everyone else really annoyed me, from Josh mangling his lower register (why do people never pitch-shift to their sweet spot?!?), Sawyer struggling to stay in pitch at all, or the brutal warcry oversinging of Koryn (although I may watch it on YouTube because apparently you all are raving about it).

Truthfully, Hannah is the only one I care about. The rest are Bic disposable karaoke singers, a 3-pack for only $1.99 at your local CVS! We won't remember them in a year, and they have little to distinguish them from the steady stream of warmed-over meh. Hannah makes me feel like some people apparently did about Michelle Chamuel: she's fun, cute, quirky, and clearly doesn't give one shit about politicking or pandering the Xtian/Country/etc vote. She just goes out and sings and dances like Elaine Benes, and it's freakin' magnificent. :) Plus, her voice is actually fantastic: it cuts like a knife and is dead-on pitch, all through her range. Her biggest weakness is song choice; just once she needs to slow it down and tear our hearts out, as fun as she has been.

How odd, even as it seems Blake tries to dampen his competition and quietly push away from winning... he might have the single most interesting artist left, and hopefully making the finale.

• Love 5

Poor baby, Josh.  That was just awfulness from the first note.  He seemed defeated after his performance, too.  Like maybe he was going to go pack.

I never was on the Sawyer bandwagon, I just don't care for his voice (the hair, the hat, the robot smile - other than that, he's ok).  Glad to see other posters coming off his praises a little.  I'd give about anything if he got ahold of a song that broke him out of that mold, if only for my entertainment.  And yes, whoever said that - Hannah needs a slow gut wrencher for a change as well. 

I think Koryn had her eyes closed throughout most of her song. I wasn't too enamored of that.

The thing that I don't like about Kimberly is that she's a bit too theatrical. I applaud her professionalism, but her performance was like watching a Vegas show last night. i sorta wanted her to just sing.

I thought India came off stiff because her mic got stuck and she couldn't leave the stand. 

Hannah was interesting. She reminded me of an...Alanis Morissette, I think. However, I would never have picked Shout for a singing competition, with its anthem-like chorus and loud ass drums.

As for Meghan, she remains one of my favorites. Was she out of the pocket, or is that how the song goes?

Edited by tmelange

The thing that I don't like about Kimberly is that she's a bit too theatrical. I applaud her professionalism, but her performance was like watching a Vegas show last night. i sorta wanted her to just sing.

These singers can't win haha. If they stand still and sing, they are too stiff or boring. If they hide behind their guitar, they will be labelled WGWG. If they command the stage, they are too theatrical. :p

I actually wanted Kimberly to sing Aguilera's Walk Away, with full theatrics... but what Christina had on that song during her Stripped Tour probably is too "TV-MA" for the show's rating(?). That was one smoking hot performance, and probably my favorite from the tour.

Or if she's due for a "stand there and just sing" song, I nominate David Cook's Permanent.

There's a place between standing there like a board and full-out Broadway show that engages the viewer without being too focused on what the singer is doing and not what she's singing. Kimberly kind of went over that line, IMO. 

• Love 1

Goodness, I feel so out of it when I read these Boards.

I don't like Kimberly AT ALL.  I think she has a good voice but she's so presentational - I just don't feel any heart there.  I think India - although when she sang that song with Clint I thought she was awesome - hasn't chosen or had chosen for her a song that she can sink both her skills and her heart into.  Singing without heart just doesn't do it for me.

I think Sawyer absolutely has to change up somewhat.  He has become boring to me which is sad when someone has such a good voice.

Where I think I'm hearing what everyone else is hearing is - Meaghan (or however she spells it) who I think is such a good singer that I barely even mind her awkwardness.  Koryn. I. Love.  She is all heart and has real skills.

Hannah sings every note so perfectly - I think when many contestants get to belting their pitch just flies away but not Hannah.  She is a pure, good singer.  But not much of a performer. I mean, she PERFORMS, obviously - but she hasn't grown into her groove yet.

Don't think Corey's much of anything.  (And that song choice.  COME ON!  Whiskey blah blah blah - are you kidding me?)  You'd think I'd like Josh, having come up in the 60s, but he is so very very very very boring.  Even when he's in tune.  Which he was not last night.

But that brings me to where I disagree with most folks here - (well except for Kimberly which just - no) - and that is that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rob.  I LOVE and ADORE Rob.  I think he's voice is beautiful, his heart is huge, and I love to listen to him sing.  If he had a different coach (except not Adam who - well - ish) I think he'd be soaring here since other coaches are much less in love with excess runs.  But even WITH the excessive runs, I just tear up whenever he sings.  LOVE HIM.  Really worried about him tonight.

And finally - just - poor Deanna.

I'm likely missing something. I didn't get much out Mehgan's performance of "Home." I was trying to explain to hubby what the original song was, but he couldn't place it. When I later played the original off You Tube,  he was like "oh, yeah, I do know that song."

Meghan's song last week, Girl Crush, cracked the top 5. Maybe this song wasn't considered country enough.

I also don't get Sawyer at all. My husband loves the guy, so it's not just teen girls.

I agree about "Home" maybe not being country enough, but I don't really consider the original song as country either, so that might explain it.

My hubby also likes Sawyer a lot and keeps saying every show: "They better not get rid of that one long-haired kid." He doesn't remember his name, but definitely knows as soon as he hears his voice... because then he pays attention to the show. Hee.

Sawyer is pretty much the most underwhelming front runner this show has ever had.  So boring.  I guess I see him doing well on the show, but I don't see him successful post-show either?  I don't understand what his target audience is?  Also, Iris was laughably bad.  I don't even no how to describe it.  If things results were actually based on performance and talent, he'd be in the bottom 3 with Deanna and Joshua.

I disagree for the most part, because I like Sawyer, but I understand the feeling. I felt the same way about Cassadee Pope when Blake won with her a couple of seasons ago. I just did not get the appeal. With the exception of the "Over You" performance, she bored me to tears. I preferred Amanda Brown, and I still listen to her rendition of "Stars" from time to time.

Loved Koryn's performance - I agree she had her breakout moment.  Outstanding.  I thought Meghan was compelling as well.  I didn't like the song much but she sang it with more conviction than usual and, for once, I appreciated the power in her voice.  I think she has over sung everything before this week and probably did the same thing this week, but the song choice suited her.

I like Hannah a lot, but I didn't like that Tears for Fears song much for her.  Still, I look forward to her turn every show.

I am surprised India's Whitney song is getting such a lukewarm reception.  I thought it was pretty good.  I used to agree (in the early days of Idol) that Whitney songs were untouchable.  Now, I think that was mostly because the contestants there couldn't handle it.  But I'm rethinking this.  I haven't minded Tessanne and India's attempts.  And Whitney's heyday was in the late 80's ... nearly 30 years ago.  Maybe it's possible that in 30 years, there will be other talents that can pull off her stuff?

Anyway, that was my favorite performance of India's.  I thought she was third best of the night.

Another contrary opinion:  I don't really like A Song For You.

Sawyer is getting worse by the week.  I think he's capable of much more but Pharrell should step in and coach him, instead of letting him do his thing over and over.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

These forums are fascinating. There are so many differing opinions on who's the best and worst.  I am curious if there's anyone who agrees with all of my rankings:

Favorites:

Kimberly: My favorite at the moment. I know she's super theatrical, but she consistently entertains AND she's an excellent singer.

India: She's got a gorgeous voice, but really, she suckered me in with the Battle Round "Stay" and I'll root for her until the end. (And I agree with tmelange, I think her mic got stuck, which limited some movement when she performed last night). 

Also really great, but I could deal with a loss of one or two of them:

Megan: She's amazing, but I want her to move away from country soon.

Koryn: She was great, but I still forget about her until she sings (and then slowly afterward). 

Rob: Another big talent, I have no feels for him.

Meh to BLECH:

Joshua: good singer, boring. 

Corey: Who? Don't care.

Deanna: OK ADAM, WE GET IT. SHE'S NERVOUS. Who cares?

Sawyer: On occasion, I think he sings well. But he both scares me with his vacant smile/stare, and bores me because he's boring. (And my friend heard him for the first time this week and said "He sounds like a goat!")

Hannah: Okay, so everyone seems to love her, and love her weirdness. But every week, I just find her super awkward to watch. I don't enjoy it at all. She's a great singer, but I just do not care for her.

For me it was:

1. Koryn

<HUGE GAP>

2. Meagan

I can't really remember the rest, and frankly, fast forwarded through them all (it made for a very quick viewing for me).  Hannah is just too awkward for my liking; I wouldn't pay to watch her, that's for sure.  I like Kimberly, but I would like to hear something current from her.  Sawyer has his legion of fans, and I just don't get it.

I hope Pharrell lets Koryn choose her song next week as I am starting to get pissed @ the religious pandering.

• Love 1

I took a break from watching The Voice after this season first started.  Just wasn't that interested (they should really only do this once a year, IMO). I started watching again to see who had made it through to the finals, and I must say that I am startled by how much better the singers on The Voice are compared to American Idol.  I think most of the singers in the finals on Idol wouldn't have even made it to the finals on Voice. 

Anyway, there's a few I really like.  The only one I cannot stand is Sawyer.  Cannot even watch that kid.  Have to fast forward every time.  He totally creeps me out.  I think he looks like Cousin It with that hat and hair.  I have a pet peeve about these young performers who smile inappropriately, though, so I think that's what really makes me want to smack the shit out of him.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 1

Super happy that Hannah avoided to the bottom 3 for another week. She's is still about the only person who can totally surprise in a good way w/ an out there performance. She absolutely is on the right team for voting considerations this season....but I really wish she could have been on Team Usher in an Usher season or even one of the Ceelo vintage seasons. Shout wasn't perfect, but she brings an energy and an unpredictability that pretty much no one else in the competition (maybe Koryn has a little bit of this too) has. Although....Blake having this thing on lock does get a little exasperating especially when it benefits the wildly undeserving Corey. Now if Brooke Adee had survived and was getting the same Coach vote booster, I'd happily be speaking out of the other side of my mouth.

Still can't really deal w/ Kimberly (so, so harsh sounding) or Sawyer.....and Joshua was inexplicably terrible for some reason. It should not be this difficult to find songs for him, but Adam is certainly giving it his best try...If you need a current song, I'd love to see him take on Mr Probz's Wave after Wave. Megan was much, much better this week although I have so much irrational love for Marc Broussard's Home and Marc Broussard in general, I could be a bit biased.

India feels like a fully formed 3rd or 4th place reality singing show finisher...

• Love 2

I was away this week and only managed to watch the Top 10 shows today.  For me this week is summed up in one word: KORYN.  I was already something of a fan, having thought her Try was the best of the knockout rounds and having really liked her cover of Stronger last week.  But even then I was surprised by sear perfection of her Make it Rain.  I had thought it would be really difficult to surpass Kimberly's What's Up as the performance of the season, but I think Koryn did just that.

Not that there weren't some other worthwhile performances.  Both Kimberly and Meghan were great as usual, though not quite up to their best. 

I think I would actually rate Hannah fourth.  The beginning of her song was nothing special, but I really loved the last part after she went into the crowd.  While I do like Sawyer, there was something missing in his performance of Iris.  He emoted well, but for once the vocals seemed a bit too bland for that song.  India also did a fairly good job, though she was hurt by song selection.  When will these contestants learn not to do Whitney (unless their name is Tessanne)? 

The remaining four contestants were all deficient.  Deanna and Joshua had very noticeable vocal issues, while Corey not only messed up the lyrics, but basically showed why he should stick to ballads.  Rob's vocals were fine, but he tried to do to much and the song got lost somewhere in the process.  In sum, I`m not at all surprised with who ended up in the bottom 3.