Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Heart Of Gold

• Start Topic

What the hell was this episode? Fairybacks, Ozbacks, flashbacks to 9 weeks ago, five minutes of current timeline and clips from both 3x21/22 and 4x11 all in the same episode? When have they ever had clips from previous episodes like that?

They spent like five episodes building up Snowing’s secret, then had Emma learn about it off screen, and now spent less than two minutes of the subsequent episode dealing with the fallout, and instead spent 75% of it focused on a secondary character that has acted as a plot device for Regina. That’s infuriating to me as an Emma fan. If you’re hyping this secret, and hyping Emma feeling betrayed and devastated, and hyping Emma possibly going dark because of this secret, you need to spend more than two minutes on it in the immediate aftermath. Emma, we love you, we made a mistake, we’ve changed, but we really can’t talk about it now because this is a Robin Hood/Rumple centric.

Some other things:

• Poor Marian. Poor, poor, poor Marian. I think the entire Marian storyline has been so incredibly poorly handled. And they somehow managed to avoid the enormous elephant in the room- that Regina murdered Marian. We’ve gone 17 episodes and I’m still not positive if Robin knows that Regina murdered Marian.
  • My mind went to the Rolly Joger when Rumple said that the quill could only be made of Enchanted Wood.
  • And Regina’s had Robin’s phone number this whole time? She gave him keys to Neal’s apartment? Why would she ask Emma to find him then? Does no one look over this crap before it goes into production? Did I answer my own question by including the word “crap” in it?
  • I know she’s not appealing to everyone, but I enjoy Zelena because she’s batshit crazy and the narrative treats her as such. And I think Bex is good at crazy eyes and creepy closeness. 

Honestly, since this was co-written by the guy who co-wrote “Breaking Glass” and “Shattered Sight,” I was preparing for the worst, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Possibly because Emma and Regina shared zero screen time. They’ve consistently had Regina not give a shit about Emma’s feelings or even really be involved/present when Emma has any sort of big emotional storyline that don’t directly involve Henry (“Manhattan,” Neal’s death, her “Lost Girl” confession, Echo Cave, Walsh’s betrayal, Neal’s second death, wanting to run back to NY, her recognition and acceptance of home, her almost freezing to death, her magic freakout, etc.) and I was kind of wondering if they were going to throw that out the window to have Regina comforting her as part of their new ~friendship~. But they didn’t!  Who knows how they’ll handle it in the next few episodes, though.

• Love 11

And generally, this was a pretty talky episode. I've always wanted talky episodes, but of course, we only get a talky episode with characters I couldn't care less about.  And boy, Robin, Rumple and Zelena can talk. On and on and on.  

So Zelena didn't immediately fly over the Yellow Brick Road to find Robin?  He was hardly in a hurry with that never-ending goodbye with Will.  I guess him giving Will that potion was supposed to be heart-warming.  If friendship isn't planting stolen goods on someone without telling him and then immediately exiting a portal, then I don't know what is.

Rumple talked a bit less than the others, given that he was intubated for an entire scene...but he did blink :)  Also (and I'm a big RC fan) his acting in that scene was overdone - I know he needed to convey fear but there was a bit too much body movement/agitation to be believable.  I think he could have used his face and eyes in some close ups and it would have been more effective.

I couldn't make up my mind whether Robin gave Will the potion or Will managed to steal it from Robin while he was hugging him.  I'd prefer the latter.

What the hell was this episode? Fairybacks, Ozbacks, flashbacks to 9 weeks ago, five minutes of current timeline and clips from both 3x21/22 and 4x11 all in the same episode? When have they ever had clips from previous episodes like that?

Well, they had a lot to retcon.  If they flipped around the timeline enough, maybe people wouldn't notice that it didn't actually make a lot of sense, or really work with the previous story, because they were so dazzled. 

I remember us discussing the possibility that Marion was an imposter in the summer, but like Delphi, I did not expect them to go that route because it was so dumb. Which is the main reason why I was surprised, but also because there has been ZERO signs that Marion was Zelena.  Her actions in 4A made zero sense if she were Zelena.  Why would she make the speech to Regina in "Heroes and Villains", agreeing to step aside to have Robin pursue Regina?   Why wouldn't she take additional steps to make Regina's life a living hell even after losing Robin, if she's supposedly so sick?  

Her actions in 4B make little sense if she's Zelena.    Why stay with Robin?  Why not kill him, or mess with Regina more? 

• Love 4

Thinking about Robin, something occurred to me:  The only ones who get to be unadulterated "good" (or at least this show's version of it) are the major villains' love interests: Belle and Robin.  Both self-sacrificing and heroes beloved by all who know them - their goodness rising above their villain association for the citizenry. They might get some "dark" later (or the show's version of it) and blow this theory but since Robin is their beloved Woegina's prize, they won't want to tarnish it for her.

Edited by Arnella
  • Love 1

I have some serious issues with this show.  So, if "Marian" and Robin resumed a sexual relationship then haven't we yet again moved into rape/non consensual sex territory with Robin and Zelena or are we still okay with because when a woman does it to a man it's not offensive or fucked up?  Graham was controlled by Regina for more than 30 years and Robin and Zelena have been playing house for 9 weeks and he recommitted to her, so yeah...we have two canon rapists and they are the Mills sisters.  It does run in the family.

Her actions in 4B make little sense if she's Zelena.    Why stay with Robin?  Why not kill him, or mess with Regina more?

Karma would be Zelena crushing Robin's heart, you know like Graham's heart was crushed because of the other woman and because he was sort of onto her.  I haven't got a clue why Zelena is playing the long con like that.  She could have killed Robin and his kid and been done with it especially with her whole speech about how Robin doesn't love her and how there's a wall between them.  You kill him, the wall is gone!  I guess Zelena's cherry on the sundae is if Robin knocked her up.

I will never say it enough.  Poor Marian.  She really deserved better.  She was going to be executed by Regina before Zelena turned her to dust.  Those Mills sisters, fucking everyone's lives over.  They should sit over tea and apples and compare notes.  Nothing brings family together than ruining people's lives.

And Tink, how was Robin's life ruined so much since he didn't get to meet Regina in the tavern he owned where he worked alongside his wife?  I'd like an explanation on that.  Other than money problems, he seemed to be happy with her.

My wish for season 5 is that they will drop their weird view of what a hero is.  Thanks!

• Love 14

What I liked:

Emma yelling at her parents, I'm sure Emma will forgive them eventually but damn it's going to take her a long time to get over this, and I don't even think there's anything her parents can do to make it up to her......

I liked seeing Robin and Marian together as newly weds - it was good to see them both happy.

I thought Zelena was ok in 3B, but I have to say I really enjoyed seeing her back in this episode especially her scenes with Rumple and the call with Regina - the woman is crazy and I can't wait to see what she does next!

The not so good:

Still don't know why they bothered bringing Will onto the show - they seem to be blatantly ignoring Ana at this stage and I don't know if we'll ever find out what happened between them.

Still don't really care about Robin - I liked him more in this ep but he just doesn't interest me.

• Love 2

The more I think about this episode, the more of a mess it becomes. The opening scene with them searching for the author and Emma confronting her parents shouldn't have been there at all. This should have been a stand alone flashback with Zelena in New York and Regina with Gold only at the very end and that's it. The rest of it would be much better suited for the next episode because you know next week is going to start with the Charming family wandering around the woods...again.

The more I think about it, the more of a mess this half season becomes, and last night's episode is the pinnacle of that. Three queens of darkness but we already ditched one and didn't even see the other two last night -- and then they added another one back for some bizarre reason. This author storyline that is all over the place. They could have totally ditched it, completely pulled it out of season 4, and nothing would be any different. I'm still totally confused by all of it. Emma's parents are evil! I just... what is this season? You could cut out 75% of the fluff -- and there is 75% of fluff to cut out -- and focus on the core characters and it would be much better. I only hope they are doing all of this now because they need to get all of this out of their system if they're going to focus on the core crew in season 5.

I actually still don't think that Zelena's return is a retcon. To me, it seems pretty obvious that they were planning on bringing her back, that this was all going to be a part of the 4A plot, and then they actually unbelievably got approved to use the Frozen characters. So then you use Frozen for 4A. Freezing Marian is the easy way to push that storyline back to 4B while the Frozen crew runs around, and then you're all set for her return. But as someone above mentioned (can't remember who) you have to at least lay some groundwork for that. I can see Ingrid freezing Marian's heart because she somehow knows that Marian is really Zelena and wants to get her out of the way. I can see Marian doing a few things that would seem out of character to make it work -- the whole "I like it when you say it" last night is a perfect example. And I can even explain away the red heart thing by saying when she took Marian's form, she took ALL of Marian's form including her heart. But c'mon! If you knew this was coming a whole extra half season out because of Frozen, throw us a few bones. It doesn't have to be anvil-sized stuff -- just a little hint here or there. But we got none of that.

I adore Captain Swan. I like Outlaw Queen to the point where I'm head canoning things to make it work. But the rest of it has become so blech. I mean, it's a show about fairy tales and I don't really care anymore about Snow White and Prince Charming.

• Love 3

Thinking about Robin, something occurred to me:  The only ones who get to be unadulterated "good" (or at least this show's version of it) are the major villains' love interests: Belle and Robin.  Both self-sacrificing and heroes beloved by all who know them - their goodness rising above their villain association for the citizenry.

I don't know--they had Belle do a lot of victim blaming and crime ignoring for someone untarnished, and as for Robin? I think now would be the time for a pun about adulteration.

They may not make these characters out and out bad guys, but they've made both characters pretty squicky and untrustworthy.

• Love 4

Some other things:

[*]Poor Marian. Poor, poor, poor Marian. I think the entire Marian storyline has been so incredibly poorly handled. And they somehow managed to avoid the enormous elephant in the room- that Regina murdered Marian. We’ve gone 17 episodes and I’m still not positive if Robin knows that Regina murdered Marian.

[*]My mind went to the Rolly Joger when Rumple said that the quill could only be made of Enchanted Wood.

[*]And Regina’s had Robin’s phone number this whole time? She gave him keys to Neal’s apartment? Why would she ask Emma to find him then? .

I thought Emma found Robin's new number and where he is in NY, and gave that info to Regina recently?

I do like the twist, so they have a plausible reason why Regina will work with Gold and betray Emma. I don't like the retconning of Mariam being frozen by the Ice Queen and almost dying just to save her cover- Zelena would have killed her. Poor Mariam getting the short end of the stick and being killed yet again.

I think Regina did tell Robin she killed his wife, but he keeps insisting she's not that person anymore so forgave her.

I'm a little cranky after watching this episode because I didn't get my Captain Swan fix for the week.

Edited by twoods

This episode was so boring. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either, just a big contrived retcon, totally pointless and uninteresting, with a little touch of fanservice from Scott "I want to see two teenagers making out" Nimerfro. 

The scene at the hospital made me remember why I can't stand Zelena, so much scenery chewing.

The opening scene with them searching for the author and Emma confronting her parents shouldn't have been there at all.

Absolutely. That confrontation deserved more than three minutes. And having Hook and Henry suddenly appearing there and joining the search party without saying a word was utterly ridiculous. Probably someone realized that Hook wasn't in the episode and they decided to put him in this scene.

I actually still don't think that Zelena's return is a retcon.

The return probably not, but the way they have made her come back, it's a retcon for sure. A&E are just trying to stop the complaints about "Adultery Queen" with this. 

• Love 4

4B continues to be all over the place. There are four main plots that could work as half-seasons - The Queens of Darkness invading, the race for the Author against Rumple, Maleficent's revenge, and Zelena's return. This episode was so complicated and had so much explaining to do that cramming the revelation's details into one showing was incredibly over-saturated. It threw a lot of audiences for a loop... like every single 4B plot to date.

The scene at the hospital made me remember why I can't stand Zelena, so much scenery chewing.

I actually like the scenery chewing a lot, but I know many don't. Some day I'll write up a post about the villain bias this show's writing has.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Forget jumping the shark, this show has jumped the shark, a killer whale, a giant squid, and the original Ursula at this point.

Retconned within an inch of its life, and teetering on the brink of incomprehensibility -- and beyond that, committing the unforgiveable sin of being BORING.

Time to record this and maybe watch it with my finger on the fast forward button.

• Love 11

You know Robin is going to catch Zelena/Marian on one of those "Remember what you said to me back in EF....?".

I covet Roland's eyelashes.  I hope he closes his peepers when Dad and FauxMom are boinking in Neal's NYC pad.  At least they made it a realistically small flat.

Someone refresh my memory - I thought they said Zelena killed Neal this ep.  How?

Zelena's not my idea of a good villain.  So add my SHUT UP ZELENA!  to the chorus.

• Love 1

Someone refresh my memory - I thought they said Zelena killed Neal this ep.  How?

She didn't kill him. She simply gave him the information on resurrecting Rumple, sans the cost of his own life. Neal found out about it and went through with it anyway. She wasn't responsible for his death, but some of the characters seem to believe so from what they've been told. (Rumple the most.)

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Well technically Neal killed himself, but it was pretty much because he was manipulated by Z to resurrect Rumple and too stupid to listen to Belle. So it's still Zelena's fault.

Eta: Or what KingofHearts said.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 2

Rumple blames her.  Got to love how everything is water under the bridge between those two now.  She is responsible for Neal's death, Rumple tried to kill her but now that screwing people over is at stake, all is good between them.

• Love 2

Someone refresh my memory - I thought they said Zelena killed Neal this ep. How?

She basically tricked Neal by not revealing that in order to resurrect the Dark One, it would be a life for a life. I don't remember all the particulars.

Rumple blames her. Got to love how everything is water under the bridge between those two now. She is responsible for Neal's death, Rumple tried to kill her but now that screwing people over is at stake, all is good between them.

I don't know if Rumple actually trusts her. It's pretty clear he's afraid of her. He needed leverage for manipulating Regina and he also needed the elixir. Plus she could have killed him right then and there, which means he couldn't say no. I still sense some strong animosity between the two of them.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Oh lord, I can't believe they went there with Zelena.  Annoys me on so many levels because 1) having Zelena back is bad enough, 2) it's a total cop-out for getting Robin Hood off the hook for adultery, and 3) it opens so many plot holes from the Frozen Heart storyline.

Poor, poor real Marian.  Emma just wound up getting her killed AGAIN.  But at least she was spared the whole debacle of seeing her husband fall in love with the evil queen that sentenced her to death.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Someone please remind me--did Zelena give Rumple that elixir, or is she holding it hostage until Rumple gets the author to write her a Happy Ending? Thanks.

Edited by Rumsy4

I thought the implication was that he'd made a deal for the elixir and the Dark One can't break deals. With his powers and immortality back, he shouln't have any need for the elixir now. However, he broke his deal with Bae and didn't face any direct consequences because of the deal breaking. Losing his son was a consequence, but he wasn't punished directly for it, so I'm not sure why the deal thing is a problem. Maybe if he breaks deals, he can't go after others for breaking theirs?

It occurred to me that this episode didn't have anything amusing in it. There were no real quips or anything to lighten it up. It was just an endless parade of exposition.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 2

I thought the implication was that he'd made a deal for the elixir and the Dark One can't break deals. With his powers and immortality back, he shouln't have any need for the elixir now. However, he broke his deal with Bae and didn't face any direct consequences because of the deal breaking. Losing his son was a consequence, but he wasn't punished directly for it, so I'm not sure why the deal thing is a problem. Maybe if he breaks deals, he can't go after others for breaking theirs?

I always thought that Rumple could break deals whenever it suits him. He just doesn't let people break deals with him without consequence. Deal making seems to be a Rumple trait and not tied into the dark curse. I think if anything he's so against deal breaking due to the deal he broke with Bae that's haunted him for centuries.

• Love 2

I did like Zelena!Marian's quip about Old vs New York. But that's about it.

So, it's not 100% confirmed that Zelena gave Rumple the elixir? 

I'll throw in another line.

Author: You're quite possibly the biggest pain in the ass I have ever had the displeasure of writing about.

It was downhill from there.

• Love 3

Zelena still has the elixir as leverage over Rumple. However, I'm pretty sure Will getting some means that he's still using it now and that Rumple will find out, take it, and thus be free to cut ties with Zelena.

Zelena still has the elixir as leverage over Rumple. However, I'm pretty sure Will getting some means that he's still using it now and that Rumple will find out, take it, and thus be free to cut ties with Zelena.

One more reason for Rumple to go psycho on Will?

Anyone who watched Wonderland, what's his sister's story?

I'm thinking that she didn't give it to him because of his creepy speech to sleep spelled Belle.

Good point.

Rumple should be ashamed of himself for aligning himself with Zelena. Can't make the stupid potion himself now that he is in Storybrooke? 

She drowned in a frozen lake. That's all we know about her.

I sort of had that thought where maybe they were setting up the next story arc, but I'm probably wrong since they seem very little invested in Will.  

You know that dream where you have a final exam but are in a panic because you realize you forgot to go to class all semester? That's kind of how I felt watching this episode. Even though I have never missed a single episode I felt like I missed half a season somewhere along the line because so much made no sense to me.

From now on I am going to just watch this show on a week to week basis and not worry about continuity because it's just too much work. I will just accept that people who are dead are not dead and people who are not dead are dead and magic does whatever they say it does that week and sometimes there are no portals and sometimes there are portals all over the place.

Although I do agree with those who have said that the whole point of all this retconning is to make excuses for Rumple for his eventual redemption.

• Love 4

I found it rather amusing that Team Charming and their Pirate Mascot were searching for the rogue Author in a group, with all five of them together, rather than splitting up to cover more territory.

My mind went to the Rolly Joger when Rumple said that the quill could only be made of Enchanted Wood.

That's exactly what I thought, and I may have actually said, "Hey, no carving quills off the ship!"

Once again, I will point out that she got a happy ending in the book and still ended up dead. Message to villains: your author plan is hugely flawed.

Yeah, poor Marian is pretty much "Exhibit A" on why this whole Author plan is just silly. Marian was a hero who got a happy ending in the book, and yet no matter how the timeline goes, she gets murdered. In one timeline she's executed by Regina and in the other she gets rescued and then is murdered with Zelena before she can be reunited with her family.

My phone rang right as Zelena started monologuing, so I missed some of the explanation of what, exactly, she did, but I could have sworn she said something about sticking with Emma and Hook because she knew Emma had plans for Marian, and then they showed all the ball scenes. But Emma didn't have plans for Marian until they were in the dungeon together and Emma impulsively freed her. She didn't even plan to take her with them to the future until much later, when Hook said they couldn't just let her go back to her family. Granted, that was the point when Zelena killed her and took over, but was that the reason she actually gave for stalking Emma and Hook? And when did she get her physical body back? Was she wafting around in a cloud of smoke all that time, or was she sneaking around in all her witchy glory?

I don't care how many times they try to insist that this was their plan all along, I don't buy it because of this. If this was their plan all along, then they did it very, very badly. I don't believe that Zelena would have been able to maintain character as well as she did or that she would have done the things we saw Marian do. I find it very telling that in the episode in which this twist is revealed, she's suddenly dropping clues left and right, but there were no clues before. I can't imagine Zelena managing to keep a straight face while earnestly telling Regina that she's not a monster, after all. Zelena seems more likely to have stuck to the "she's a monster who was going to execute me!" narrative to try to stir up people against Regina. If she was going to play the sainted martyr who accepts that Regina has changed, after all, she'd have done it more publicly as a way of drawing sympathy to herself. She'd have been more likely to play the, "He's my husband and I'll fight for him!" card than the "I want to be his choice, but you two really love each other" game.

And Regina’s had Robin’s phone number this whole time? She gave him keys to Neal’s apartment? Why would she ask Emma to find him then?

That made no sense at all. Are they not even watching their own episodes? If he had Granny's takeout on his phone, then that was a phone he'd been using in Storybrooke, and he had Regina's number on it. If Regina gave him the keys and address for Neal's apartment (and how did she get the keys and the address?), then she knew where he was. It wouldn't have taken Emma's bounty hunter skills to track down the phone number he'd apparently used to call Regina at some point or to find the apartment where Regina sent him.

I think the Sharknado has jumped the waterskis that are jumping over the shark tank.

• Love 7

It occurred to me that this episode didn't have anything amusing in it. There were no real quips or anything to lighten it up. It was just an endless parade of exposition.

I feel like every episode has endless exposition now. Even the finale of 4A had a ton of exposition in it setting up the Queens of Darkness. The finale. It seems like every review I've read of 4B so far always leads with, "Now, I know this one was a little slow moving, but sometimes there has to be an episode devoted to setting up the exposition." But how can that happen every single time? How much exposition can they throw at us before they actually start dealing with the issues they've already set up? This is why everything always feels so rushed at the end of the season because they throw so much exposition at us during the first three-quarters of the season, and then don't properly resolve all of the numerous storylines they set up. And when they do deal with issues from the past, they're completely random issues that are retconned to hell and back.

I wasn't able to watch this episode in full last night, so I'll wait until I can finish it to comment more about it. But everyone's comments in here are really making me apprehensive about watching it now...

• Love 3

I hated this episode. I'm so over Rumple!  Marian was awesome, Robin was better in this episode. Don't care about Zelena. Really need more Hook, Emma and the Charmings.

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure Zelena did give him the elixir, that's how Rumpel was well enough to leave the hospital (he was flatlining and on a ventilator before) but Zelena said it'd only work for a while since his dark was so dark, or something like that. OK, I went back to watch it and she said she didn't know if it could cure his heart but it'd get him back home, meaning it'd last enough for him to get to SB and find the author. Then Rumpel still has to find another way (hence his speech to passed out Belle).

• Love 2

Why does Rumple need the exlir now since he's got all his powers back and his dagger?How is Zelena still holding anything over him?

How was Zelena's heart not black as coal when Regina took it out to protect Marian when frozen? The mirror clearly showed that all she has is a cover/mask on. There is no way the gem could conceal her heart like that especially once it was out side the body. It just doesn't add up. It's messy and unplanned I think and a rush job by the writers.

Does Roland actually know his mother looks different? He was looking at that mirror just as the audience was.

• Love 2

How did Belle recognize Robin in 3B?  The Robin she saw was glamoured Robin.

There you go:

And then be pissed that I'd wasted that much time trying to make sense of the senseless.

• Love 1

I'm so confused. I thought there was a huge plot point in that once you left Storybrooke you'd have no memory of it or the people there. Wasn't that the deal? Isn't that one of the reasons why it was so heartbreaking for Robin to leave - because he'd never remember his love for Regina?

She recognized his clothes and arrows...?

Is that an euphemism? ;-)

I'm so confused. I thought there was a huge plot point in that once you left Storybrooke you'd have no memory of it or the people there. Wasn't that the deal?

Apparently not for Curse 2.0. People can leave Storybrooke with their memories intact.

• Love 2

I probably missed a lot last night, because I was stuck wondering why Robin would got to NYC. Why wouldn't they send him to find a cabin in the woods somewhere? He could take whatever money Regina gave him (and surely she magicked up some for him) and get a nice place to stay outside of a small town. Why on earth would go someplace as crowded and expensive as NYC if you were a forest dweller with no modern skills? (Except for lock picking. He had no trouble picking a modern lock to get into the shop. Too bad he didn't also know about modern alarm systems.)

• Love 2

You'll like this episode if you...

... think Zelena is entertaining and just the bomb.com.

... are on the edge of your seat for the Outlaw Queen angst.

... get thrown by A&E "twists".

... are not a fan of Emma, Hook, Snow or Charming.

... enjoy watching Robin Hood.

... want a break from the Storybrooke drama.

You'll dislike this episode if you...

... are a hardcore Captain Swan shipper.

... have a distaste for mustache-twirling, ever-snarling villains strutting around while they monologue.

... don't give two flips about Outlaw Queen.

... only watch this show for Emma, Hook or any of Team Charming.

... hate endless contrivances that make no sense.

... appreciate continuity.

... can't stand Zelena or Robin Hood.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 12