Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: This Just Ain't A Good Day For Leavin'

As I was listening to the last lullaby duet, I was thinking, "nice harmony," then "enough with the harmony".  So when she looked up and said "I know what to name the baby," I fully expected "Harmony".  I mean, you don't go from that scene to "Ethel".   I don't see how voting makes any difference, as the next episode has been filmed. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think they're revealing the baby's name until the finale, oddly enough.

They're filming the finale now and voting ended last night. It looked like Cadence was in the lead.

Edited by airwair

So is Bucky deliberately sabotaging Hwy 65 because Rayna won't let him sign whoever he wants? What a back-stabbing tool!!

Please preach. 

I love the name Cadence, but I know someone with that name, so I'm biased. I didn't think any of names were ugly though. Well, Blythe isn't a name I would ever choose, but...

I felt bad after watching last week's episode and not feeling the Deacon Rayna reunion like I wanted to. I rewatched an episode from S1 (can't remember which one it was now...) and I remembered how much crazy chemistry they had, more than she ever had in all of her episodes with Luke, or Teddy for that matter. So y'all will be happy to know I'm back to shipping it (I know, let the church say amen). I love how comfortable they are with each other. I don't think I've ever seen that with Rayna and any other man, including the one she was once married to. Except maybe Liam? He had such a chill personality anyway.

I love the thought that Daphne takes after Tandy, because I always liked that character and really loved the relationship she and Rayna had in some of those early episodes. 

• Love 1

I can't believe after all the years together Bucky is stabbing Rayna in the back. He didn't even try to get that singer (don't know what his name) for Rayna to hear, he just folded and let Luke have him. Talk about being a traitor. What's with Bucky? It's a good thing that Rayna has Deacon because he's the only one that has her back and will help her with getting Highway65 successful.

I loved Daphne in this episode talk about someone who had the most common sense in this episode. Deacon counting for Maddie to open the door 1,2 3. Daphne - "Yeah, that counting thing? It only works on little kids" When Maddie walks out of the restaurant Daphne again "I think we should get the check."

Did Luke think that Sadie owed him something because he sure looked like it, and the expression on his face was saying you leaving after what I just did for you. The guy just can't get a break with women. Next one up is CA, I wonder where the series is going to go with that.

Deacon/Rayna scenes were them being comfortable with each other which made those scenes perfect. The chemistry between Deacon/Rayna (C/B)is so wonderful to watch because they are so connected emotionally, just them holding hands, hugging and kissing each other knowing that they are there for each other no matter what. Rayna saying "You're here" Deacon saying "Yeah, I'm here" together they will work through whatever lies ahead.

• Love 1
(edited)

Soup: I've read other places that it seems fast for Rayna/Deacon to fall into such a comfortable life together, but honestly, to me, they've always been like that. And Rayna, in particular, is so much softer and calmer when she's getting along with Deacon. She came across to me as wound up very tightly with Luke and Teddy. I feel like maybe she was always a little drunk with Liam, and yeah, he was just very chill.

But Deacon and Rayna were always very much relaxed with one another and very touchy, especially in the first season, and what always seemed awkward to me was how forced their hands-off policy was. And then those moments when they'd forget and slip into their normal way of interacting, they'd be relaxed and touchy again. So for me, of course they're totally at ease with one another. That's how they've always been. That part of the story has been done really well, I think.

Sutton: I'm not sure Bucky is stabbing Rayna in the back. I think he doesn't get or support her vision for the label so he's frustrated. It happens. He didn't bother pitching the artist to Rayna because he thought she'd turn the guy down. Done right, that kind of crossroad could be interesting to watch, especially since I do think running the label so that it makes money would be very hard to reconcile with Rayna's idealistic vision. If she's not willing to compromise, what's Bucky supposed to do?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I don't see betrayal in Bucky's not wanting to sign the newest YouTube sensation to Rayna's label; if he thinks the kid isn't right for Rayna's "brand" I'm presuming he has some latitude to make that kind of decision. She trusts his judgment enough to make him her A&R guy; why would she want to vet every decision he makes?

• Love 2

Maddie is poorly written. That is my excuse anytime a character on this show consistently annoys me. I get that she has been through a lot - but as someone stated above - not allowing her to grow and mature makes her character a lot less believable. I really hate playing the dads against each other and I'm glad the scene between Deacon and Teddy didn't go where I expected.

Daphne Rules! I've been the little sister who had to witness the drama between my teenaged sister and my parents, so I love the way she just lets it all pass by without losing her shit. Wish I'd been that cool at her age. Also happy to see some interaction between she and Deacon; harkens back to Season 1.

So apparently Eric Close is only allowed one good scene per season. Loved him and Deacon, liked him and Maddie; hated him with everyone else. Comparing Teddy to Lamar is an insult to Lamar, who would never have let things get so far out of control. Count me in as another one who thinks Teddy's liver has Deacon's name on it.

I liked Sadie because I like Laura Benanti and her beautiful voice. Even Luke was tolerable for me when he was with her, so I'm sorry to see her go. That said, they need not replace her character with three new characters who also serve no purpose.

Gunnar is not a great boyfriend. I really like goofy, musical Gunnar, but presumptuous, stalking Gunnar is not cool. Since his best interactions are with the guys, let's just let him be single; or even better, let's try hooking him up with and Will.

But boy, do I love those Scarlett/Gunnar duets!

• Love 5

Teddy really wasn't in trouble regarding Natasha until he started blackmailing and embezzling funds from the city.  Yes, he could be brought up on charges associated with Natasha but those would be relatively minor compared to what he's getting involved in at this point.  He should have just held a press conference, apologized and resigned.  So much less hassle and less damaging than what he is now facing.  I just don't get how he let this whole thing get so out of hand.  The same thing for Natasha.  Soliciting charges and then it's over, unless she's involved in something much worse which is why the FBI was listening in.

Agree with others-get over yourself Gunner.  His moping was so over the top.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Soup: I've read other places that it seems fast for Rayna/Deacon to fall into such a comfortable life together, but honestly, to me, they've always been like that. And Rayna, in particular, is so much softer and calmer when she's getting along with Deacon. She came across to me as wound up very tightly with Luke and Teddy. I feel like maybe she was always a little drunk with Liam, and yeah, he was just very chill.

I love it. At the end of the episode when she came home and just sank onto the couch with him, like "Babe, it has been a day..." That teeny scene right there was worth more to me than her entire relationship with Luke.

Based on what you and Sandman have said, I will reserve my judgement on Bucky. For now. But since it's on topic, can we talk business for a minute? Sure, Rayna has Lamar's money, and even if she split it evenly with Tandy, I'm sure it's more than enough to keep her in rhinestones for a while. But H65 as an entity needs to make money. Sadie's gone, at least for now. And they lost money dealing with Pete. Juliette had to quit her tour before she could fully rebound from the Wentworth scandal. Layla, as Bucky himself has said, is coming off of her own reality-show drama/horrible image problems. So...how is he in any position to turn down ANY artist without at least running it by Rayna first? 

Rayna can't be the only artist on her label that's making any significant money. I'm sure now that Baby Barkley is here, Juliette won't waste any time getting back out there, but come on. If I were Rayna, I'd be worried about signing another artist and investing time, energy and MONEY into them with no return. 

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 2

Did Luke think that Sadie owed him something because he sure looked like it, and the expression on his face was saying you leaving after what I just did for you. 

I didn't take it that way. Luke was working on that song she helped him with when she walked in to say she was leaving. I think that she was the first woman he felt even a tiny bit of anything for since Rayna and he was disappointed at the loss of exploring that. That's my impression anyway. Unfortunately, the show does a piss poor job of creating any layers in secondary characters to they all become ciphers that force us to try and figure out what they hell motivates them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Soup: My guess is that Rayna alone probably makes enough to keep the label going, actually. She's such a huge star. Add Juliette to the mix, and they should be fine. As a comparison, there was a time (maybe it's different now) when Joss Stone had just herself and one other band on her label. Because the musician who owns the label basically pays herself, she takes a much bigger cut of the profits.

But I struggle to understand what Rayna wants her label to be. She wants it to be a refuge for musicians but like...does she only want women?? Men need refuge too! Is it only people who feel slighted elsewhere or have emotional problems? If it's a sound she's looking for, what is that sound? What's the brand Bucky's talking about? I think he has no clue either! If Rayna wants to build her label into a powerhouse, she needs more than her and Juliette. If she's content with small and niche, OK. But then she doesn't even need Bucky as her A&R guy. I'm hoping that next season, Deacon will heal up miraculously and get involved with running the label. He'd have a better grasp of Rayna's vision, I think, but could also push her to expand it.

That scene with them at the end was really lovely. It was so simple, but told us a lot about who they are and what they need. You could tell Rayna wanted him to stay, but she let him leave. And you could tell Deacon didn't want to go, but knew he had to. He also prioritized their family without her even mentioning it, and she got that. They make a good team.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I think HookerGate is a set up to get Teddy.  Otherwise, how can prostitution be more of a federal crime than Sadie justifiably killing her ex?  Sadie didn't ask for money to get out of the country; hooker did.  Hooker herself would only be charged with hooking, not with any other type of malfeasance.  If she was as high a class a hooker as would have Jeff as a client, she would have a boatload of money and a team of lawyers on speed dial.    And I also might add that the city guy with the extra kid from the wrong side of the blanket might also go to the feds to get Teddy off his case, because otherwise, guy's name is on the docs apportioning the funds.  Exactly what Teddy and Pig Blood Peggy had done when we first met them.

• Love 4

I figured they'd name the baby Melody or Harmony after their duet, so it's probably Cadence (from the poll). It's just the right amount of weird too for a celeb/tv show baby name. Whatever. I hope everyone promptly forgets she was born and puts her off with a nanny so we can get Juliette back to work.

Gunnar is the worst Nice Guy wanna-be boyfriend since Noel Crane. Ugh. It would/will be nice to hear him and Scarlett sing together again but they're toxic.

As are Rayna and Deacon, really. I just don't feel them. And it still feels like they got together too easily. I wonder if a lot of the plotlines this season have been truncated/partially resolved for fear of cancellation. I presume Laura left early to prepare for the Radio City show she's doing. That was a whole big useless run. I wish they'd committed to making her Single White Female-Rayna (like they hinted they might in that one episode where she oddly sized up Rayna trying on wedding dresses) and steal Luke away.

Teddy is the worst. What a thankless role for Eric Close.

I think HookerGate is a set up to get Teddy.  Otherwise, how can prostitution be more of a federal crime than Sadie justifiably killing her ex?  Sadie didn't ask for money to get out of the country; hooker did.  Hooker herself would only be charged with hooking, not with any other type of malfeasance.  If she was as high a class a hooker as would have Jeff as a client, she would have a boatload of money and a team of lawyers on speed dial.    And I also might add that the city guy with the extra kid from the wrong side of the blanket might also go to the feds to get Teddy off his case, because otherwise, guy's name is on the docs apportioning the funds.  Exactly what Teddy and Pig Blood Peggy had done when we first met them.

I have to admit that I tend to zone out when Natasha is on screen. I've thought the same thing as you. But maybe she fears some of her clientele coming after her to keep her quiet? If the feds or whoever are squeezing her to get to her clients (for some reason, like maybe as part of a corruption charge or something) maybe she is worried about being caught in the middle.

I still can't fathom why she needs so much money if her goal is just to get out quickly.

Does anyone know if the actress who plays Sadie is really done or could this just be a break? I like Rayna and Avery better and find them more interesting when they interact with Sadie. I also thought Sadie and Luke had some chemistry so would like to see them together down the road.

I'm liking Will more and more since he and Layla ended. I'm interested to see where the storyline goes with the writer.

Ditto what most of you say on Maddie, just ugh and annoying.

MM - On your last post I wish I could have given you two thumbs up because it was perfectly said. It just shows how comfortable they are with each other. He knows her so well and just what she needs and the same goes for her. Their thoughts are so connected that they don't have to say a word, they just think it, and it's understood without a word spoken.

Does anyone know if the actress who plays Sadie is really done or could this just be a break? I like Rayna and Avery better and find them more interesting when they interact with Sadie. I also thought Sadie and Luke had some chemistry so would like to see them together down the road.

It was announced a while back that Laura Benanti was cast in the CBS pilot of Supergirl as the mom.

• Love 1

I don't think the speed with which Rayna and Deacon are moving is off base at all. Like Madam Magpie said (and I paraphrase), their connection is just that deep and natural.

They've been through basically everything there is to go through together and they've been connected in pretty much every possible way for going on 30 years now. I honestly wouldn't buy it if they did try hesitating and taking it slow because there are no more secrets now; the walls are down and everything is on the table.

They literally have nothing left to lose except each other and they aren't willing to lose each other again, so all in is the only place left to go to.

And it feels so right to me, but that could largely be because Chip and Connie have ridiculous chemistry that's actually palpable. It's a bold statement (and the roles were completely different and in an entirely different space) but only Jim Gandolfini and Edie Falco have ever given me the same chills onscreen together that Chip and Connie do.

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Deacon has liver cancer and is waiting for a transplant, right?  I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.  But IMHO, he looks pretty good.  I would think for someone so sick, he would at least look and BE sick.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well these writers also had him experiencing a seizure-like episode as a result of this awful cancer that typically only happens in very late stage liver cancer-- "late stage" meaning on deaths door-- early on in his diagnosis and he's apparently had no other issues since.

I don't anticipate they'll be asking Chip to lose weight or painting him yellow any time soon. Medical experts, they aren't. It's painfully obvious they just googled liver cancer and picked a random side effect to give him without further investigating the context in which said side effect occurs.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 2

Good question. She added nothing, had a plot that wasn't related to anything else & distracted from the storylines we already had, & now she's gone. What was the point?

I think she was the "strong female singer" on the cast list since Hayden P was not as available.  But the story was pretty big for it to just be over in a blink.

But next week Christina Aguilera starts, so they brought on a "strong female singer" to get rid of her & bring on a different one? 

• Love 1
(edited)

ABC held a contest where viewers got to vote for the name of Avery and Juliette's baby? This is SUCH a bad idea. We are the worst at stuff like this! (see: every reality show voting scheme ever)
But I hope they reveal it next week.

And yeah, this episode might have been soapier than usual, and the Sadie storyline may not have resolved the way that I wanted, but I loved it anyway.

Edited by Kat

I also do not think Deacon and Rayna are getting back together, too quickly.

As others have pointed out,these, are two people with a lifetime of history. They've been thru the wringer, together. In the early days of their relationship, they had a romantic relationship of 11 years. I think most of us assume, that the majority of time, they lived together.

R/D aren't kids. They're middle aged adults; to me that's a good part of the appeal of their relationship.

For the show to back track, and have them inch their way back together, start dating, etc., would have seemed silly!

I think the show had reached the point, where, they were either going to put them together, or write a storyline, where, their romantic relationship was irrevecobly over, and they would be friends and co parents only(what a waste of amazing chemistry that would be).

So hoping for a Season 4, so we can see it play out!

• Love 3
(edited)

I should say too that I only think it works now because they've finally had everything out. I've always liked that Rayna/Deacon don't behave hesitantly with each other at all. They know they love each other, know they want a life together even, but for whatever honest or contrived reason felt they couldn't do it. They've fought about or discussed all the reasons now, though. The secrets are out. The hurts are out. So like airwair said, "all in" is the only reasonable choice. I mean, the fact is too that on some level they've behaved like a semi-partnered couple, at least emotionally, throughout the run of the show. They don't need to learn each other's annoying habits or figure out how to parent together or how to communicate. They already do all that. They just had to stop playing their stupid game.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I've been on record here many times bitching about Maddie's bratitude, but I guess I've found a place of zen for it, because all I thought last night was "Lennon's really nailing that scene!" and "Did Maisey have a growth spurt?" They beat me down, y'all.

Aside from Eric Close I feel like the actor getting hosed most is Sam Palladio. He's so good in the friendship and the music-making and the performing scenes, but anything romantic and Gunnar is just an immature, tone-deaf jerkwad. I cheered when Scarlett blew him off, but I have little hope that this is the end of Emo Gunnar. This is a soap, after all.

I know there's a truism on TV that happy is boring, but I don't agree with that at all -- IMO Rayna/Deacon now function as the solid heart of the show. They've got other dramas outside of the relationship they can deal with, but I hope TPTB don't mess with this reunion because it WORKS.

Surprised but not sorry that they tied up the Sadie storyline so quickly.

• Love 2

Why does that stupid whore need so much money to disappear, anyway?

If nothing else, she could get some $$ upfront from Teddy and let him send her the rest later surreptitiously.

Plus she could always do her whore of Mensa thing to earn $$ wherever she winds up.

All I know is I could disappear for a lot less than that.

This.  If I had to disappear, I would have to give up a professional license, making it a hell of a lot harder to earn a living.  Tramp has a portable skill set. 

All while Daphne behaves like Nashville's version of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I see her more like Yoda. Maybe it's the height.

I thought I saw a tear roll down her left cheek while she was watching them all ooooooohh and ahhhhhh over the baby.  :-

You did. I rewound to be certain.

• Love 3
(edited)

I will say that I found Bucky's comment that if he were someone else's A&R guy, he'd snap up Mister Internet Sensation in a heartbeat kind of ... weird. Maybe not a full-on stab in Rayna's back, but disrespectful somehow -- like her "brand" was somehow restrictive to him, or against his inclination.

Tramp has a portable skill set.

Hee. "She Don't Need A Licence, She's Licentious"? I'm sure there's country hit there somewhere.

I agree that Sam Palladio is probably better than the material he keeps getting.

Edited because "someone's else" isn't a thing that one can be.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who does this. I rewound to make sure that it was just a regular cast iron skillet and not a coated one that Deacon was using. The coated ones scratch easily and Deacon was stirring the hell out of that meat. The abuse of good cookware is a huge pet peeve of mine and...admittedly, I have issues.

I've been on record here many times bitching about Maddie's bratitude, but I guess I've found a place of zen for it, because all I thought last night was "Lennon's really nailing that scene!" and "Did Maisey have a growth spurt?" They beat me down, y'all.

The first half of the episode I wanted somebody to slap her. I had a flashback to when she rolled her eyes at her mother the day she got home from the hospital. But when she burst into tears while talking to Teddy, I was like, poor baby. They got me too, rubyred.

And Maisey does look taller! The casting of those two was such a lucky stroke for the show because they really look like they could be Rayna's daughters with those particular fathers. 

This.  If I had to disappear, I would have to give up a professional license, making it a hell of a lot harder to earn a living.  Tramp has a portable skill set. 

I see her more like Yoda. Maybe it's the height.

Portable skill set. Too funny. Bitch is setting you up, Teddy. 

Could the lady of the evening be in partners with someone? Don't forget she asked for $200,000. thousand, splitting it with someone like Jeff? I would put my money on him since he told Teddy he was broke. He would be the one who would know that Teddy could get his hands on that kind of money. After all he was once married to Rayna and she has that kind of cash. Remember, she fought Jeff to protect her daughters and would do anything to protect them from a scandal. Just saying...

Please don't name J/A daughter Bella my grandkids just named their new puppy Bella.

Juliette actually name-checks "Blanket" as one of the celebrity baby monikers. So fantastic! And I'm pleased to see that psycho diva Juliette is still in full force even as a mommy. It bodes well for her future.

I did miss Will/Layla/Jeff, though--just when they were getting interesting.

• Love 1

Late to the posting party.

Was I the only one wanting Teddy to slap Deacon when Deacon dropped the bomb about having cancer? Teddy could've been just like Rayna, and then there would've been a whole line of people wrapped around the block ready to slap Deacon.

Speaking of Teddy, I was hoping that Sadie would have shot him too while she had her gun out. And then maybe she could have gone to the concert and shot Gunnar?

Nice to see that the writers remember Daphne this week I was beginning to think she had laryngitis .

Juliette sure knows how to trash a baby shower, that was my favorite scene. You could tell that Hayden was very happy to be standing up for once, instead of lying in bed texting her husband.

And the best line of the night was about Rayna's perfect hair. I missed feisty Juliette.

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 3

She must take after her Aunt Tandy and, perhaps, Grandpa. Cool on the outside and a player.

I had no idea they had listed a bunch of potential baby names for Juliette's baby. When she and Avery were singing that song to the baby with the word "star" so pronounced in it, and then Juliette said, I know what we should name her, I thought she was going to say, "Stella," which means star in latin. Plus, it kind of sounds good with Barclay.

I also thought she was going to say "Stella", both because of the song they were singing and as a 'wink' to the sisters because Juliette seemed to be an older friend to/nurturer of the elder sister's character, Maddie. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they name the baby Harmony or Cadence. 

I will say that I found Bucky's comment that if he were someone's else A&R guy, he'd snap up Mister Internet Sensation in a heartbeat kind of ... weird. Maybe not a full-on stab in Rayna's back, but disrespectful somehow -- like her "brand" was somehow restrictive to him, or against his inclination.

I thought it was the writers (slightly clumsy) way of foreshadowing that Bucky is going to leave Rayna's label and become Luke's A&R guy. Bucky and Rayna don't seem to share the same vision for her label, but Bucky and Luke seem to be on the same page.

I think Cadence could be a cute name. They could call her Cady (pronounced like Katie).

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 2

What was the whole point of the Sadie storyline if she is just going to leave town? I predicated she would shoot the ex as soon as she bought the gun but I still don't get why she bought the gun under a fake name, why did they bother to have Sadie and Luke interested in each other and well the whole story. 

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the end of Sadie and I'm bummed about it. I really liked her and I liked the relationships she forged with the rest of the cast. She had connections to Rayna, Luke, Avery and Gunnar. I wanted her album to be a big success so Avery could have a win. I also really liked the potential between her and Luke. At least we got one of the best songs of the season from the two of them before she took off. 

I swear, no one has their shit together as much as Daphne does. She remains the voice of reason in the family, despite the fact that she`s in freaking elementary school. 

She really does. I think she's the most mature character on this show followed closely by Emily and then the unnamed Barkley-Barnes baby.

Am.... I suppose to find what Gunnar did at the end to be romantic?  The whole song bit?  Because, honestly, I felt like that was kind of creepy.  I mean, not in a "Scarlett should fear for her life" kind of creepy, but that Gunnar clearly has no issues pushing boundaries and potentially humiliating her kind of way.  I mean her only options was to go along, or blow things on stage, which considering her history, the media would eat it up.  Either way, it just disturbed me.  Honestly, I almost hope he keeps it up and either Scarlett kicks him in the nuts or Doctor guy ends up secretly having some fighting skills, and kicks his ass.

This! It was so creepy and uncool. Gunnar is awful in relationships. He was awful with Scarlett the first time, awful with Zoey and awful again now that he's set his sights on Scarlett. Last week he creepily barged into her hotel room and this week he's decided to force a different sort of boundary. I love them singing together, but I cannot be here for their ship until Gunnar shows some serious growth.

I can't believe after all the years together Bucky is stabbing Rayna in the back. He didn't even try to get that singer (don't know what his name) for Rayna to hear, he just folded and let Luke have him. Talk about being a traitor. What's with Bucky? It's a good thing that Rayna has Deacon because he's the only one that has her back and will help her with getting Highway65 successful.

I don't know if its necessarily that. Rayna has been using her label more for helping artists who inspire her than for any sort of business decisions. She's all about finding a poor soul and giving them support. She likes people who remind her of herself (which explains why all of her named artists are women) in some way and doesn't make decisions based on numbers but rather her gut. I guess that's fine for a vanity label, but she's on her own with H65 and she needs to care about the real world. Bucky didn't betray Rayna; he just knows he'll be outvoted so why put up the fight. 

Teddy really wasn't in trouble regarding Natasha until he started blackmailing and embezzling funds from the city.  Yes, he could be brought up on charges associated with Natasha but those would be relatively minor compared to what he's getting involved in at this point.  He should have just held a press conference, apologized and resigned.  So much less hassle and less damaging than what he is now facing.  I just don't get how he let this whole thing get so out of hand.  The same thing for Natasha.  Soliciting charges and then it's over, unless she's involved in something much worse which is why the FBI was listening in.

I don't even think Teddy would have had to resigned if he'd come clean right away. He's single and just lost his wife in a very tragic way in the past year. (I think, the timeline on this show is pretty messy) Sit down with a friendly reporter and talk about his mistake, how he was lonely, how he knows he has to do better for Nashville and for his daughters. He's probably got a few more years before re-election so he'd have to be totally above board moving forward but by the time it mattered, most people would have moved on.

• Love 5

Baby Barkley-Barnes is here! Now Juliette can get back to kicking ass and chewing bubble gum -- as long as it doesn't mess things up between her and Avery. Loved the lullaby at the end! I thought she was hilarious throwing her fit and kicking stuff around. I wish the writers would get back to having Juliette and Rayna in more scenes together. They are so great together, and I don't totally hate Rayna when she is with Juliette.

When did Gunnar turn into such a mopey little douche-baby? Besides almost all season? I swear he's been stomping around and throwing a tantrum like his diaper needs changed. Dude! All your ex-girlfriends agree: You suck as a boyfriend. Scarlet's moved on. You lose. Now go fake-write some songs I can download on iTunes. I have no use for this snarly toddler. He's moved up to the top of my Potential Donors for Deacon List.

Speaking of Potential Donors for Deacon. Teddy, Teddy, Teddy. You had a chance to be a decent human being there, and you blew it. You didn't have to blackmail anybody. You could have come clean and apologized for sleeping with a used up hooker. It's not like you killed anybody. Well, except for Lamar... and you're the only one who knows about that... and the writers dropped that thread, so bygones. You're being set up by your ugly hooker, dumbass. Since Six-Shooter Sadie is apparently leaving town, and if Gunnar isn't going to die in a flood created by his own tears, I hope the guy he is blackmailing takes Teddy out. One dad must die, so the other may live. Sorry Daphne. But at least Maddie still has her dad. Right?!

It's a good thing that parking garage didn't have any security cameras in it so Luke Wheeler could save the day by lying for Supergirl's mom. That was random. Too bad she couldn't stick around Nashville. Sluke/Sake/Suke might have actually been fun to watch.

I think Bucky is realizing that Hwy 65 isn't the right fit for him. So if he leaves, who will replace him? Jeff? Bwahahahaa.

Edited by ReadingZombie
  • Love 3
(edited)
Dude! All your ex-girlfriends agree: You suck as a boyfriend. Scarlet's moved on. You lose. Now go fake-write some songs I can download on iTunes.

HA! It's funny because it's true. Gunnar is quickly sinking into Cooper Nielson territory. Scarlett needs to tell him, "You're an amazing [musician] but as a boyfriend, you kind of suck." You know you are really sucky when Cooper and Jody Sawyer can put aside their differences and work together EVERY DAY but Gunnar can't manage to do that with Scarlett. He needs to be put in an isolation booth and only let out to sing with Scarlett (with or without Avery as a third - he deserves some paternity leave to be with his new daughter). Scarlett and Gunnar duets are by far my favorite songs on the show (if you looked at the songs I have bought from Nashville, most of them are Scarlett/Gunnar duets followed by anything Lennon and Maisy sing with each other or anyone else), but I can't stand what a creepy sadsack he has turned into.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

And I really hope the hooker with the awful nose job goes far, far away.

I feel horrible for harping on it, but that is one horrific nose job.  I don't know how she's a high call hooker with that thing.

hey said on the poll site that they would announce the name 4/15 so I was expecting that. I was hoping they would name the baby after Juliette's mom. Maybe as a middle name? But the poll has four choices (Bella, Blythe, Cadence, and Nina) and none of them are even close to Jolene (Juliette's mother's name).

I did not know these were the options, but it's obvious (to me) that it will be Cadence.  It came to Juliette right after they sang, so I'm assuming she was inspired.  I thought to myself - that poor baby's name is going to be Harmony.

• Love 1

Gunnar is beginning to rival Maddie in brattishness except his dad isn't dying. Of the 'main cast', the characters we've had since season one, Gunnar ties with Teddy as least useful.

I liked him well enough in the beginning when he was this kind-hearted country dork mooning over Scarlett but he turned into an ass pretty quickly. IIRC, in season one he was told by Watty White he would get where he wants to go eventually but he'd get there faster with Scarlett. Pretty much the next episode he was 'encouraging' her to pursue a career as a singer/songwriter and he was a little pushy in the recording studio when she was uncomfortable. That never sat right with me but I kind of shrugged it off because they sing so well together and Avery was an enormous dick. But he was always possessive of her and would badger her if she did something he didn't like, like when they went out drinking and she ended up hanging out with a bunch of guys. He started yelling at her, I think? And it was not about her potentially being in danger, he was just jealous. She reamed him a little for that and he backed down, but still. Once they were together it wasn't actually any better and he proposed despite their relationship being younger than six months. Scarlett dumping him was the best thing she could do for herself. He set her couch on fire! Then hooked up with her best friend. (And look how he treated Zoey, especially during the Micah situation.)

Now he sees her happily involved with a kind, attractive, and accomplished man who likely has no ulterior motives for being with her (I do think Gunnar, in his way, cares about her but I also think Watty's comment is always in the back of his mind). And, unbeknownst to Gunnar, Caleb is providing Scarlett with much needed emotional support and happiness during one of the most difficult times of her life. I don't care about Caleb but he does right now have a great deal of emotional intimacy with Scarlett that Gunnar can't claim, and isn't even really aware of.

I hope Scarlett continues to reject Gunnar and stays with Caleb. If Gunnar wants to take a page out of Avery's book, eat some humble pie, grow the fuck up, and become awesome that would be great. But I need him to otherwise keep his trap shut unless it's to sing. He's making everyone uncomfortable and he's been kryptonite for Scarlett's character since s2.

Juliette's outfit was hideous. The color, the lace, the style, THE SLEEVES. Who picked that out? I hope they burned it after this episode. They've really been wasting Hayden P.'s talent this season. Juliette could've been shown writing a lot of new songs, very personal and introspective songs. Being pregnant, contemplating motherhood, it all has to have dredged up some things from her childhood and how she wants better for her child. But instead her pregnancy has been played for cheap, vaguely sexist comedy (they hit almost every trope in the book and none of it was funny).

I...don't think Rayna has perfect hair. She has such a low hairline that the center part always swallows her face. A side part, though, looks beautiful on her. Not that any of that matters, especially with what she had to deal with. They're finally writing Rayna in a way I like. I think she works best when she's focused on other people because they don't know how to write her as self-caring without making her obnoxiously selfish. She was attentive and quick to act, solving as many problems and taking care of as many people as she was able but it all still seemed believable. Loved her shutting down Juliette, someone had to. But it did highlight how little these two have interacted since season one. The show was pitched as being about them, individually and together, but sometimes it feels like I'm watching two different shows.

MJ's definitely setting up Teddy, even my mom called it. I hope he just gets prison instead of death. He could even still donate to Deacon, it's not like Deacon needs a whole liver. Or do we think they're saving that storyline for Maddie?

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

ABC held a contest where viewers got to vote for the name of Avery and Juliette's baby? This is SUCH a bad idea. We are the worst at stuff like this! (see: every reality show voting scheme ever

Admittedly, I don't pay close attention to stuff, but I had no idea that this contest was going on.  Marketing fail ABC.

I really hope they don't name the baby after Juliette's trainwreck of a mother nor anything music related. 

I really hope they don't name the baby after Juliette's trainwreck of a mother nor anything music related. 

I don't think Juliette would want to name her daughter Jolene, especially not her first name. I had a lot of sympathy for Jolene as a tragic figure at the end of her life, when she was remorseful of what she'd done and trying to make amends to her daughter. I think it's a testament to the writing at that time and the acting of both parties that they were able to garner an ounce of sympathy for an addict mother who was neglectful and abusive to her daughter. It's a miracle Juliette made it out of that situation without being even more emotionally damaged than she is right now.  My heart broke when she visited Jolene at the funeral home and asked her mother why she'd left her. Her fears of being abandoned, of not being enough...aren't just going to disappear because she's a mother and a wife. I don't know if Avery's love is enough to fix that. And I'm worried about my girl, honestly. I've got my fingers and toes crossed that he'll be patient and she'll get some therapy.

But I could totally see them naming the baby something music related. Music is their life as a couple. Juliette probably feels like music saved her and enabled her to get the hell out of Alabama. Her memories of singing with Jolene "when she was good" could be some of the only good memories she has of being a kid. Music is how she and Avery met and played a huge role in how they got together. Not just that Avery was her roadie, but that they became friends and confidants as they wrote together. And his desire to pursue a musical career was a point of contention with his father. I don't think the decision to go against his father's wishes was something that came easy for him, he would have to have been passionate about it to cause that rift. It's just a huge thing in both of their lives and even if it seems corny to some, I could absolutely see a musically themed name for their baby being very significant to them.

• Love 1

I used to love Gunnar but even I am getting a little tired of his neurotic dating style. 

Juliette's baby, please die already! I don't like any of the names, either. Jolene or something more traditional I would be okay with, if we have to keep hearing about it. But I see that baby as a big drag on Juliette's awesomeness. If the last few weeks is any indication, mommy/baby storylines could really ruin her entire character.

I don't have a problem with Maddie. She's a kid, she's been through several ringers the last two years. Bratty is normal sometimes, especially given what she's been through. 

I love Teddy the Dad, Teddy the beta male husband, Teddy the second choice. I wish so much he could just be that guy. I hate Teddy the Mayor, Teddy the Schemer. That's why I was so glad at the end when we got a flash of the old Teddy, who cared about his family more than anything. 

Bucky, I guess I don't know what happened there. He didn't push to have first dibs on that artist, as was his perogative. That was definitely weak, but I didn't see it as a betrayal of Rayna, more a failure to stand up to Luke. Maybe I missed something between him and Rayna about the right kind of artists for her label?

Here's a nit I've been dying to pick- what's up with Deacon and his guitar strap with his name on it? Nobody over 8 years old would choose that for a guitar strap. It is so hokey and dumb and a cool guy like Deacon, I don't think, would EVER have a guitar strap with just his name on it like his is. It's the only guitar strap he ever plays with, though I think the guitars change underneath the strap. 

Edited by Midru

I will carry the torch while you catch your breath.

I'm sure Teddy's imminent demise/incarceration will fuel a full chorus of "But he promised he wouldn't leave me me me me me me MEEEEE!"

Teddy's storyline is verging on "howler."  He's using his office to blackmail and embezzle--to amass the money a hooker has specified she will need--to set herself up in a new location the FBI won't be able to puzzle out (uh huh)--after he's already been identified by the FBI's surveillance.

More than a few problems there, and all because he doesn't want to hunker down and rehearse his "I was attracted to a beautiful woman who turned out to be a pro...sorry" speech.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

More than a few problems there, and all because he doesn't want to hunker down and rehearse his "I was attracted to a beautiful woman who turned out to be a pro...sorry" speech

100% agree. This is not a crime worth all this coverup. It is part of the writing of this show, where they can't figure out how to write coherent storylines or consistent characters.  

Juliette's scenes were horrible. I know some loved her line about somebody choosing to shoot someone on her special day, but to me that line is flat out unbelievable- when someone you know just shot her husband. 

• Love 2

"Blanket," hee. Whatever you do, kids, don't mix up the Potential Name List with the Amazon Wish List. Bad things will ensue.

And North, Apple and Moon Unit.  Heh.  The trend is to give your celeb kid a name that's a random noun so Cadence works fine.  

100% agree. This is not a crime worth all this coverup. It is part of the writing of this show, where they can't figure out how to write coherent storylines or consistent characters.  

Juliette's scenes were horrible. I know some loved her line about somebody choosing to shoot someone on her special day, but to me that line is flat out unbelievable- when someone you know just shot her husband. 

I often wonder if the actors read their scripts and call their managers in horror, saying this writing is going to make them look like idiots or worse and to get them off this show and onto something with better writing.  Poor Hayden.  

There is no way I'm watching another season of this.  I'm pretty close to just cutting the cord and giving up network tv entirely, after this season.  

So totally agree.  Does Teddy have no advisors?  Asking for forgiveness because he consorted with a pro is pretty low on the bar to holding public office.  And the FBI won't care about that part, but sure will care about the financial improprieties.  Even finance guy has to realize that a family implosion is nothing compared to being up on federal or state finance misappropriation charges, especially when an elected official is involved. 

• Love 3