Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

If the dough container gets too cold, it will open itself.    My parents fridge froze everything, and the poppin' fresh dough would open itself in the fridge, or in your hand too.     Having the container pop open in your hand was certainly a rotten way to start the morning. 

On the Kerrygold commercial, the son's coat is certainly pristine for having worked hours at the restaurant. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

OK, I will now declare that I cannot stand the Kerrygold butter and cheese commercial with the family that wakes up in the middle of the night to make a butter and cheese laden dinner for the son who has just started a new job.

HE WORKS IN A RESTAURANT.  He has had something to eat.  Make him come in wearing scrubs and maybe it would be more believable.

Having worked in the food & beverage industry, I will say that it isn't at all unusual to be hungry at the end of a shift. The cooks and staff are generally not eating during service. That's why so many, at least in the Before Times, went out after work to a 24 hour place for dinner and drinks. I've heard of the "family meal" (served at the restaurant! Not at home by the helicopter mom!) but that's before the restaurant opens, not at the end of a grueling 8-10 hour stint. I never worked at a restaurant that had the "family meal".

That being said, this commercial is just weird.

• Love 3
On 12/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, peacheslatour said:

Happy Festivus everybody! I'll be making the traditional meatloaf for dinner. Time for the feats of strength!

image.thumb.png.be3180be9cf6f05b49b2844795975532.png

I work at a law firm, and we got a bunch of long, complaint-laden emails through our website during the time we were closed last week. In our team zoom meeting on Monday, we decided it was because of Festivus! The airing of the grievances! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, icemiser69 said:

I was looking forward to watching cartoons on MeTV.  I just wanted to watch the cartoons.  But this?  Yikes, I don't think I am going to like this.🐟

I am hoping the Saturday cartoons will be just that, cartoons.

Quiz: Are you Tom or Jerry?

I am a vegetarian.  How did I end up being Tom? 

Wow that wasn't what I expected at all!  I love old Tom and Jerry and Roadrunner and Bugs Bunny.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, icemiser69 said:

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Pillsbury Doughboy is one horny little devil.   When you least expect it, he lets it all hang out.

I can't believe it took this long for Pillsbury to make a commercial where Santa and the Doughboy poke each other in the stomach! Tee Hee Hee - Ho Ho Ho!...

• LOL 7
On 12/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, smittykins said:

I read that for “Piano Man,” he would sing “It’s nine o’clock on a Saturday...” and let the audience take it from there.

Billy Joel doesn't perform concerts, he leads a two-hour sing-a-long. He does sing most of "Piano Man" but the audience drowns out a good part of it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Billy Joel doesn't perform concerts, he leads a two-hour sing-a-long.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've attended 4 of his "residency" concerts at Madison Square Garden, and look forward to doing it again. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Quof said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've attended 4 of his "residency" concerts at Madison Square Garden, and look forward to doing it again. 

Oh, no, not at all! I love that about his shows. I'm a Long Islander, and was growing up when he hit the scene in the early 70s, so I've been a big fan all my life. We went to see him at MSG in December 2019, and were supposed to see him here in Charlotte last April before things closed down. That show was rescheduled for this coming April, and we're hoping (but not very hopeful) that things will be safe by then.

• Love 4

About stinky towels... my towels started to smell really bad when they got wet. Not dog towels, my regular towels. I did a little Googling and the wisdom was that buildup of detergent and fabric softeners are a prime cause of that because (I think) they allow bacteria to multiply. So I washed all of my towels in hot water with no laundry soap (I generally use the pods that have a lot of scent and I think a fabric softener component) and dried them with no dryer sheet. It was immediately better.  

So from now on, I'll be washing towels that way. Yesterday, I found dryer balls at my local grocery store, so I got a set of them to use as well since I won't be using dryer sheets. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

About stinky towels... my towels started to smell really bad when they got wet. Not dog towels, my regular towels. I did a little Googling and the wisdom was that buildup of detergent and fabric softeners are a prime cause of that because (I think) they allow bacteria to multiply. So I washed all of my towels in hot water with no laundry soap (I generally use the pods that have a lot of scent and I think a fabric softener component) and dried them with no dryer sheet. It was immediately better.  

So from now on, I'll be washing towels that way. Yesterday, I found dryer balls at my local grocery store, so I got a set of them to use as well since I won't be using dryer sheets. 

My mom agreed with this. She bought something and I can't ask her but it removed any residue from fabric softeners and detergents. She swore those made the towels less absorbent and made her hair flat.

I've read that you're not supposed to use fabric softener on towels because the residue interferes with absorbency. I think you're also not supposed to use it on stuff that's supposed to be moisture wicking. I can't remember where I read it, though, so don't quote me.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, Ashforth said:

Having worked in the food & beverage industry, I will say that it isn't at all unusual to be hungry at the end of a shift. The cooks and staff are generally not eating during service.

Other than smelling food your entire shift, how is it different from any other work where you can't eat when you're on the clock?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Other than smelling food your entire shift, how is it different from any other work where you can't eat when you're on the clock?

Exactly. I wrote that post in response to someone who said something like, he's a chef, he would have already eaten.

• Love 1

Yes, fabric softener is partly an oil based substance, to break the soap surface tension (or something like that), and that makes things soft.  It also makes fabrics not absorbent too.    

The dog towel commercial, I thought that the towel had been freshly washed, and the magic fabric softener got rid of the smell, so the man kept using it.  But it wouldn't be the first time I misinterpreted a commercial. 

• Love 1

That still doesn't make sense though. If it's freshly washed, why is it so bad to use the dog's towel? I'd be more bothered to use something on the dog that was intended for people only.

Edited by janie jones

I think they're trying to show that the fabric softener can get the dog smell out of the towel, but the commercial is so ridiculous.    I do like the dog seeming to recognize his towel.    

My dogs used to like the bathroom floor tile in summer, even with air conditioning going.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think they're trying to show that the fabric softener can get the dog smell out of the towel, but the commercial is so ridiculous.    I do like the dog seeming to recognize his towel.    

Well then add another stupid thing to the list because shouldn't it be the soap that gets the dog smell out?

• Love 2

once upon a time, when I could do laundry at home and hope to again in a few months, I used vinegar in the rinse cycle for towels. It makes them fluffier and more absorbent. I never use fabric softener or dryer sheets for towels. But this past year, I didn't do my own laundry, my neices did it and they think they know everything and I'm an old fashioned fuddy duddy and don't know anything. So, fabric softener got used. I hope tomorrow to accompany my laundry doer to the laundromat. No fabric softener will be used on the towels.

Editing to add about the vinegar, it helps take out the excess soap that may be left in the towels from the wash cycle. I think I learned that from an old HGYV show, with MaryEllen, I believe. I loved HGTV in those days. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

Vinegar is supposed to be good for your hair, too.

Regarding the tax evasion conversation in another thread...I was at the gas station the other day, and when I was getting rung up, one of the employees said she just got a message from her husband saying they got their stimulus deposit. Everyone was surprised that it went through so fast. Then the cashier goes, "I didn't get the last one, so I'm probably not going to get this one." We all asked why, and she said she hadn't done her taxes in 4 years. I know filing taxes is a hassle, but I don't know what anyone gets out of avoiding it. I mean, if you're working at a gas station, you've already paid taxes. If you're trying to avoid owing more or paying a tax preparer, you're gambling, because you might be screwing yourself out of a refund. And whatever you owe doesn't just go away if you don't file.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Regarding the tax evasion conversation in another thread...I was at the gas station the other day, and when I was getting rung up, one of the employees said she just got a message from her husband saying they got their stimulus deposit. Everyone was surprised that it went through so fast. Then the cashier goes, "I didn't get the last one, so I'm probably not going to get this one." We all asked why, and she said she hadn't done her taxes in 4 years. I know filing taxes is a hassle, but I don't know what anyone gets out of avoiding it. I mean, if you're working at a gas station, you've already paid taxes. If you're trying to avoid owing more or paying a tax preparer, you're gambling, because you might be screwing yourself out of a refund. And whatever you owe doesn't just go away if you don't file.

I tried vinegar on my hair once. Wrecked it, would not recommend.

37 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Maybe she doesn't make enough to file? Or winds up having to pay and can't afford it? But yeah, she'll be in trouble at some point. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Maybe she doesn't make enough to file? Or winds up having to pay and can't afford it? But yeah, she'll be in trouble at some point. 

You only need to make six hundred bucks a year to file a 1099. If you're self employed you can pay an annual estimated income tax quarterly and either end up paying a little more or get a refund at the end of the year.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I know someone who hadn't filed taxes for 4 years and finally did to get the last stimulus. 

• Useful 4

I haven't filed taxes in 10 years. Reason, I'm on SS retirement only and it isn't enough that taxes are withheld or paid. So I owe nothing and I get nothing in return. I don't qualify for any earned income stuff. This year, I may have to file for last year because of the $1200 stimulus, I'll have to see. If all we get this year is the $600, I probably won't have to. If we get more stimulus money, I'll have to see. 

and for those who want to look down on me for just having a minimum SS retirement, stick it in your ear. There are reasons, plans were made then circumstances happened. Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

• Love 10

Friendperidot, you probably won't have to pay taxes on the stimulus. I still have some money in my iRA and have withdrawn as much as $5000 in addition to my social security and still didn't have to pay. i also make a tiny amount at my part-time job, and that STILL didn't put me over the bottom line. (When not in lockdown, i work 12 hours a week at $9.50 an hour. No withholding taxes are taken because the amount is so small.)

A former boss was telling me I should put my IRA into a Roth IRA, because you don't pay taxes on the interest.  BUT...at the rate I'm going, I'm withdrawing money i never paid taxes on and don't have to now because my income is so tiny.  The ex boss was stunned that I don't have to pay taxes on my IRA.  Sometimes being poor is an advantage. LOL.

RE: Turning into your parents: I don't think I've turned into my mother, although I did inherit her spider veins.  But sometimes I catch myself making a gesture that's VERY much like my mom.  I'm a former hippie, so blue hair doesn't bother me; it's the multiple piercings and all those tats I don't understand...especially the stud in the nose. Doesn't that hurt when you blow your nose?  As for the multiple tats, I grew up in Miami and suffered many sunburns as a child. I go every year (when not in lockdown) to the dermatologist to get potentially cancerous spots on my skin frozen off. How can you see a skin abnormality with all that ink?

Alright - I thought of one other mom-like thing: When someone makes a huge mess in a movie or incites a food fight, Mom would say, "Who's gonna clean up that mess?"  I don't say it out loud, but I think it.  LOL

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day when I worked part time in a department store, it was absolutely disgusting how filthy co-workers and customers left the bathrooms.  I would hate to see what their bathrooms were like at home.  They are supposed to be adults, they should have been able to clean up after themselves.  At least one would think that.  And yes, there were a lot of none flushers, and some people were missing the toilet bowl completely.  That had to be an intentional act, at least in some cases.

Hence why self flushing toilets in public restrooms came to be.  People are disgusting. 

• Love 7

I worked in fast food for almost ten years, including closing shifts.  Part of the routine was cleaning the restrooms.(I still think men should clean the urinals!)One time during a lunch shift, someone had apparently 

Spoiler

shit in the urinal.  One of my coworkers volunteered to clean it, since she had a daughter who was potty training.

When my dad worked retail, he told a story once about someone who'd gone to straighten up one of the dressing rooms. Apparently someone had gotten sick in one of them, which, okay, that happens...

...except it was all over the walls and floor and whatnot. They were talking about it and being like, "Was Reagan from The Exorcist in here, or...?"

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

...except it was all over the walls and floor and whatnot. They were talking about it and being like, "Was Reagan from The Exorcist in here, or...?"

Have you ever projectile vomited?  You'd swear it was coming up from your toes with the force of a fire hydrant.  And, when it happened to me, I went from I think I'm going to puke to puking in about 30 seconds.  Thankfully, I made it into the bathroom and got most of it into the toilet.  But when it had happened to my friend 20 years earlier, she was at my place, and emerged from the tiny half bath downstairs to say, "I'm going to need all your cleaning products."  That bathroom looked like what you're describing.  We were both astounded. 

So that could be what happened to the person in the dressing room, and maybe they were too embarrassed and/or sick to notify anyone. 

• Love 3

About ten years ago, there was a rash of people putting poop on bathroom walls in the store I work at. I never saw it myself but I remember the first time it happened, this one associate discovered it, and then people one by one went in and came out laughing and telling everyone else they had to go in and see. I abstained.  It stopped happening after the associate who discovered it the first time quit.

• Useful 2
56 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I haven't had it that bad that I can recall, no,

You'd remember!  Projectile vomiting has distinct characteristics, like a migraine compared to a severe "regular" headache.  It's really quite surreal; it's so forceful it's almost violent.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

A friend from colleague, when he was telling us that a mutual friend projectile vomited in his dorm room, said, "He redecorated my room in Early American vomit."  I use that phrase to this day. 🙂 

"You give a decorator a free hand....."

• LOL 6
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

About ten years ago, there was a rash of people putting poop on bathroom walls in the store I work at. I never saw it myself but I remember the first time it happened, this one associate discovered it, and then people one by one went in and came out laughing and telling everyone else they had to go in and see. I abstained.  It stopped happening after the associate who discovered it the first time quit.

This reminds me of an issue we had at our office several years ago. We had a "Mystery Shitter". At least 2 or 3 times a week we'd find a huge, and I mean HUUUUUUUUGE pile of poop in one of the toilets. It literally looked like one of the Budweiser Clydesdales broke into our office and unloaded in the toilet. It was so large that it would not flush so we'd always have to call maintenance, those poor people, to take care of it. 

At the same time there was a young girl, I would say late 20's at most, who I would run into from time to time in the ladies room. Definitely had some OCD issues, I witnessed on several occasions when she would wash her hands she would wash all the way up to her elbows using a ton of soap. And she always got freaked out whenever anyone came into the bathroom when she was in it, it was a 2 stall bathroom so it wasn't like you had a private room. Anyway, if you came in to the bathroom she would move over to the wall and just stand there until you went into the stall and she would finish her scrub and practically run out. Very strange. 

After several months of the Mystery Shitter it suddenly stopped happening, at the same time that the girl stopped working for our company. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I do find myself avoiding certain cable channels simply because I don't like and am tired of the same old commercials.  It really is amazing how different the commercial line up is on various channels. 

I like to watch the office. It's on Comedy Central and Cozi. The difference between the type of commercials they show is a astounding.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My last job before I retired had a very bizarre employee.    For some reason instead of doing anything about her behavior, they just moved her from section to section.  In her case she was retiring soon, and everyone knew it, so no one did anything about her.     She never washed her hands after using the toilet, so my poor boss had to talk to her about it.   So she would go in the ladies' room, wash her hands, and then go in the stall, and then walk right past the sinks and out the door.    I hate how some employees are totally incompetent, but everyone is supposed to tolerate that. 

Uncle Milty not only had huge equipment, but said that impacted his romantic life.   Some women took one look, and walked away, because they were afraid of what would happen to them.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I have no intention of subscribing to Discovery+. Fortunately, they didn't move any of the shows that I watch. However, you can still watch Discovery+ on your television. You don't have to watch it on your phone or tablet. 

Discovery Plus will be available to customers on the platforms: Roku; Amazon Fire TV streaming devices, Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and later on Prime Video Channels; iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, and the Apple TV app;  Google devices and platforms including Android phones and tablets, Chromecast with Google TV and Android TV; OS devices, and Google Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices; and Microsoft Xbox One and Series S/X devices; and 2017 and newer Samsung Smart TVs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have no intention of subscribing to Discovery+. Fortunately, they didn't move any of the shows that I watch. However, you can still watch Discovery+ on your television. You don't have to watch it on your phone or tablet. 

They moves lots of shows we watch. My kids are bummed and so am I. I have no way to hook up my phone to the TV, so the phone is the only option. Which isn't one. But the point is, I already pay for the programs. I'm not paying twice. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

People can wash their hands all they want, but they would still be touching that doorknob that has been covered in germs from those that don't wash their hands as they exit the bathroom.  I don't know if they make self-sanitizing doorknobs or not.  I would think that would be a real popular item.

Since Covid, I pull out two paper towels before washing my hands.  I use one to hold onto the handle to turn off the water whnen I'm done and then wipe my hands and I use the other to open the bathroom door.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day when Matlock first aired, I don't think it was supposed to last.   For the most part critics didn't appear to like it.  Right now it airs in syndication on at least three different channels.   Even with all of the cast changes it did run for nine seasons.   I enjoy most of the episodes, and I like it much more than Diagnosis Murder.  I like Dick Van Dyke  a lot, but there is something about Diagnosis Murder that just bugs me.  That series lasted eight seasons, and I just don't get that at all.

I, on the other hand, don't get Matlock, but loved Diagnosis Murder.

• LOL 1
On 1/25/2021 at 12:56 PM, Katy M said:

Since Covid, I pull out two paper towels before washing my hands.  I use one to hold onto the handle to turn off the water when I'm done and then wipe my hands and I use the other to open the bathroom door.

Bingo! that is what I do  the few times I have to go out in public, And sorry to say if the trash is not located in a near throw from the door I do my best to get it in the trash.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, Gramto6 said:

Bingo! that is what I do  the few times I have to go out in public, And sorry to say if the trash is not located in a near throw from the door I do my best to get it in the trash.

Especially if the towel dispenser is hung high on the wall. By the time you get a towel out, you've got water running down your forearm, headed for your elbow. Best to get the towel first. And I *really* hate those turbo hand dryers that show you just how loose your skin is.  The first time I came across one of those was at a crossroads in Mississippi.  It's not even a town on the map - it's a community - but there's a gas station and a general store name McDonald's. The store was known for serving free coffee so the community is called "Hot Coffee."   It's probably the last place I would have expected a "state of the art" hand dryer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4