Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a vegetarian also.  It is hard to find processed vegetarian or vegan foods that don't have absurdly high amounts of sodium in them.  My blood pressure spikes due to sodium.

It took me forever to try button mushrooms and I now like them just fine.   I don't think they taste like much of anything.   I am not sure I would be willing to try other fungus among us.

What do Crimini mushrooms taste like?

Please don't say woodsy.

I don't like the term toad stool either.   It is too close to toad's stool.  I can't imagine eating toad poop, or any other kind of poop for that matter.

They're  baby portobello mushrooms, if you've ever had portobello.  

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love Rocky and Bullwinkle! And I also sing the "kill the wabbit" song to this day. Is is sad that I got most of my knowledge of opera from cartoons and my biblical information from Hollywood?

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of a hat....WRONG HAT!" 

Did you ever see Robin Williams does Elmer Fudd singing Springsteen's "Fire?" One of the funniest  skits ever. It's on YouTube. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

The other term I am not too thrilled about is when a food is described as "earthy".  It sounds like anything earthy would taste like dirt.

When my friend was getting trained to work at Starbucks, they had to do these taste tests on all of the coffees. (This was 20 years ago; I don't know if they still do that.) And at one point, the trainer asked them to describe the coffee they were currently sampling, and my friend said it tasted like dirt. The trainer goes, "Okay, we're going to go ahead and call that 'earthy.'"

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 7
On 11/10/2020 at 10:04 AM, Colleenna said:

I don't do beef (vegetarian) but I make a mean mushroom stroganoff using Crimini mushrooms.  

Do you mind sharing the recipe?  Yes, I’m collecting recipes.  I’ve been trying to find one to replace the one I grew up with since having had to go dairy free.  I’m mixing techniques until I find one I like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, elle said:

Do you mind sharing the recipe?  Yes, I’m collecting recipes.  I’ve been trying to find one to replace the one I grew up with since having had to go dairy free.  I’m mixing techniques until I find one I like.

Unfortunately I don't recipe. I just throw stuff together. Nothing comes out the same way twice. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Unfortunately I don't recipe. I just throw stuff together. Nothing comes out the same way twice. 

It is a gift you have, and peacheslatour and others like who can cook like that.  I’m lucky if everything turns out okay following a recipe 

I have a little better luck with baking.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, elle said:

It is a gift you have, and peacheslatour and others like who can cook like that.  I’m lucky if everything turns out okay following a recipe 

I have a little better luck with baking.

Yeah, baking is definitely a science. I think it's about understanding flavor profiles when inventing recipes.  I just invented one the other day. I took asparagus spears, spread a tiny amount of dijon on them laid a narrow slice of provolone on there and wrapped them in strips of puff pastry. Turned out some lovely appetizers that my DH went crazy for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, baking is definitely a science. I think it's about understanding flavor profiles when inventing recipes.  I just invented one the other day. I took asparagus spears, spread a tiny amount of dijon on them laid a narrow slice of provolone on there and wrapped them in strips of puff pastry. Turned out some lovely appetizers that my DH went crazy for.

Yum!  Though I can’t have dairy, I can still appreciate a tasty sounding creation.  I am by no means a kitchen chemist.  Trying out the vegan/vegetarian substitutions has been a very hit or miss process.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, elle said:

Yum!  Though I can’t have dairy, I can still appreciate a tasty sounding creation.  I am by no means a kitchen chemist.  Trying out the vegan/vegetarian substitutions has been a very hit or miss process.

Oh, I bet. That takes more creativity than I could probably muster.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Just a personal observation, I hope it taste better than it looks.

Boy howdy; that looks like a cat stood over a plate of pasta and puked up her breakfast.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 7
On 11/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, icemiser69 said:

I have never used this recipe, but here is a dairy-free beef stroganoff recipe.   Just a personal observation, I hope it taste better than it looks.

I couldn't use the recipe unless I made drastic changes to it.  I am also a vegetarian.

Just as an aside.... I find Gardein's "beefless" strips and "chikn" strips tough as shoeleather. I LOVE their  Mandarin orange Chikn though. Meat substitutes are kinda a crapshoot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Just as an aside.... I find Gardein's "beefless" strips and "chikn" strips tough as shoeleather. I LOVE their  Mandarin orange Chikn though. Meat substitutes are kinda a crapshoot.

I don't eat enough meat to worry about it. I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't like meat that much.

• Love 1

It reminds me of when Tom Bosley pitched some kind of yard sale rejects sellers club to shut-ins, invalids and stay-at-home caregivers.I'm STILL mad that he agreed to do that instead of telling this deal that virtually guaranteed that these folks desperate for income would become broker-than-broke in no time flat! 

SMC? My mom fell for that in the 80s, long before Tom Bosley shilled for them.  She even had her then-husband turn their attached garage into a shop, which she ran evenings and weekends while still working full time.  It lasted less than two years and she never made a profit.  She supplied me with a shitload of cheap Walkman-style headphones that always died within a couple of months.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

have never prepared anything with firm tofu before.  I would like to, but I just don't know what to do with it.

Don't know what area of the US you live in  (or even if you're in the US) but I'll share what we do during summer,  when we can use the  BBQ grill. I'm assuming that you know all about draining the tofu. After draining,  use a toothpick to poke holes in the tofu. Cut the block into quarters.  

In a shallow  dish, pour a layer of honey teriyaki marinade (i use Ken's). Put the tofu on the marinade  cut side down. Cover with more marinade.  Let it sit for at least one hour.  To cook, grill it for 5 minutes on each side. You can "baste" it with the marinade while it grills if you want.  

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, smittykins said:

SMC? My mom fell for that in the 80s, long before Tom Bosley shilled for them.  She even had her then-husband turn their attached garage into a shop, which she ran evenings and weekends while still working full time.  It lasted less than two years and she never made a profit.  She supplied me with a shitload of cheap Walkman-style headphones that always died within a couple of months.

I'm almost certain that's the one! Since virtually all the stuff that was pitched were knick-knacks that few folks would pay more than a few bucks for if they happened upon them in said garage sales but nothing anyone would go out of their way to hunt down, I knew something was off re the company that produced/obtained the items have others sell it on their behalf and somehow the 'middle folks' were supposed to be all-but-guaranteed to be put on easy street the rest of their lives? It didn't wash with me- which is why I was furious Tom Bosley shilled for it instead of telling them what they could do with their idea AND warning others to avoid this! 

You're the first person I know of who had a family member participate in this (and I'm not surprised that your mother never made a profit for the year and change she did this). However, it brings to mind a friend of mine whose grandmother   'gifted' him a timeshare in a Heritage USA vacation condo. Yeah, that wound up laying a big lemon goose egg,too! 

• Love 2

I also hated it because the whole time Mom was involved with them, we never went anywhere(except shopping for groceries/necessities; we lived in a no-horse town where even that usually meant a 20-minute drive)or did anything fun.  I also occasionally got roped into minding the store for a few minutes so Mom could take a bathroom break.  And you’re right, how would anyone “make their dreams come true” selling chintzy knick-knacks and cheap electronics?

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

I also hated it because the whole time Mom was involved with them, we never went anywhere(except shopping for groceries/necessities; we lived in a no-horse town where even that usually meant a 20-minute drive)or did anything fun.  I also occasionally got roped into minding the store for a few minutes so Mom could take a bathroom break.  And you’re right, how would anyone “make their dreams come true” selling chintzy knick-knacks and cheap electronics?

So much for the idea that there'd be enough of a market for wooden model motorcycles to put the sellers on a permanent path to 'easy street' with 'no boss'! UGH! BTW, did your mother express remorse and do a 'what was I THINKING' deal on this?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I actually don’t recall if she expressed it verbally, although she may well have.  I’m sure she wasn’t happy that their promises of “financial independence!  Be your own boss!” were a bunch of BS.

She probably felt duped and didn't want think about it.

• Love 2

In regard to PureWick, I'm pretty sure an iteration of this device is what a hospital used for my mother recently when she experienced severe fluid retention after a surgical procedure and was on diuretics. She was relieved (no pun intended) and so was our family. We couldn't be there to look after her as we normally would be. The device they used was comfortable, not intrusive like a catheter with its inherent risk of some kind of infection, and she didn't have to try to get out of bed and to the bathroom, which would have been very risky for her.

If I had significant urinary incontinence at night, this sounds better than an adult diaper. 

Edited by Ashforth
multiple edits to get rid of the image of Max from How the Grinch Stole Christmas! It somehow didn't suit the subject.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

Back in the days of video stores, I often rented certain Robin Williams and Eddie Murphy tapes.  They each did a bit where they borrowed a camera from an audience member, took a picture of their crotch, and handed the camera back saying “Try explaining that one to the folks at Fotomat.”

• LOL 8

One of the places I work had a management consultant come in to review how we work. We were also invited to a company breakfast. He was a bit alarmed about that... he told us that when mgmt invites you to dinner, you've done well & you're probably getting a promotion. Lunch means everything's OK, but there's probably a new policy they want to present before instituting it. When they take you to breakfast, when you get back to the office, your desk will have been cleared out & you'll get your severance pay along the the box of your personal stuff.

Turned out, our company breakfast was to announce the move to another state.  Nobody got fired, but a lot of people quit, including me.

• Useful 2

In relation to absolutely nothing in any previous post, I just need to vent. I live with my sister, she's several years younger than I and I am learning more about her than I ever wanted to know. I used to watch shows with a profiler and they would say, "the killer has a disorganized mind." I never could figure out what was meant by that. Now I know, I don't understand it, but I see it in action daily. My sister couldn't plan her way out of a paper bags with 2 sides slit open. She gets something on her mind, stews about it for several hours or days, then rains hellfire down because something must be done right this minute, usually meaning she expects me to drop whatever and jump to fix it. I don't work that way.

Our bathroom faucet has been dripping for a couple of months now and is getting worse. I did mention it several weeks ago. I'm only allowed to mention something like that once or else I'm nagging. She got the water bill and it's higher. (duh) So she told me we must have a leak. I said, yes, the bathroom sink. This was a couple days ago. Tonight at nearly midnight, she decided something must be done this instant! I've been studying the handles on that faucet and I can't figure out how they come off, they are like levers, not knobs, there's no screw and I can't see how to remove them. I'm not sure I could do it, I don't have the physical abilities I used to have. She didn't wait for any more explanations. A few minutes later she knocked on my door and said she'd just get a cheap new faucet and replace them herself! (not ever going to happen, just believe me.) During this tirade she mumbled something about turning the water off under the sink or putting a bowl in the sink, I had quit listening by that time. She rarely uses the bathroom sink, I'm the one that uses it frequently, so I guess she's planning to punish me for not being able to replace those washers or something. Now all during this, I was trying to have my quiet time so I can go to sleep. I don't sleep will and anything can upset my sleep. Well, she did it. She sleeps all day and is up all night, I think she takes a perverse pleasure in having her day opposite the rest of the world and she will chew off an arm or leg of anyone that interrupts her sleep. But I got chewed out for wanting to go to sleep at midnight. We had a rather big screaming match and I attempted to go to sleep, but it didn't happen, maybe tomorrow night.

But now comes the part that has me so puzzled. I went to the bathroom and she had put a bowl in the sink for the water to drip into, why? beats me. And, she had removed the aerator from the faucet and it's nowhere to be found, again why? I have no idea what she thinks those things will accomplish. When I've calmed down, maybe in about 3 days, I'll ask. Right now I wouldn't be able to ask without a great deal of sarcasm and that won't help. 

Just need to vent, don't expect any answers. Bipolar disorders can be more difficult for the family members than the person with the disorder.

Update, things calmed down, thanks for letting me vent. My sister's ex-son-in-law came over and replaced the washers, it's still not quite right, but there's not a steady stream of water now. After I got an hour nap in, I could handle things a little better and I did ask why she removed the aerator, she knew there was a washer in it and thought that was the washer that needed replace. I really wish she'd stop "fixing" things. She gave me the aerator, I've got it back in the faucet, but I can't get it screwed in tight enough just yet. Tomorrow when I've had a full night's sleep, I'll try to put it in correctly.

Edited by friendperidot

Not really what? Edith Piaf was a Nazi collaborator. 

image.png.1e9a5e41b22e4c0e5997d637caed4bfd.png

At the outbreak of war she had recently embarked on a professional partnership with Michel Emer, a Jewish musician whose song ‘L'Accordéoniste’ (The accordion player) became one of her big hits. Piaf was able to pay his way into unoccupied France, where he lived in hiding until the liberation. She also helped Jewish pianist Norbert Glanzberg, who became her lover for a time. Glanzberg had worked as a jazz musician with Django Reinhardt in the mid-1930s in Paris and later became involved with the Resistance. The composer Georges Auric helped hide him until 1944 in unoccupied France, and after the liberation Glanzberg returned the favour by helping to release Maurice Chevalier and defending the French actress Mistinguett (originally Jeanne Bourgeois) in trial.

While I don't think she actively collaborated, she did sympathize with some of the German soldiers. There is a difference between the Gestapo and regular German soldiers.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Then there was Coco Chanel, and her signature CC logo was supposed to be based on her SS lover's emblem.      How she never was shunned for this is beyond me.    Other women with German lovers were chased by mobs, had their heads shaved, and found out what tar and feathering was all about.     CC didn't have anything happen to her. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I was asked what refrigerator we bought in July that still hasn't been delivered. It's a Whirlpool French door upper with a slide out freezer bottom. We are constrained on size because of the cabinets surrounding it. It's one of the highest rated refrigerators for its size and dependability.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I was asked what refrigerator we bought in July that still hasn't been delivered. It's a Whirlpool French door upper with a slide out freezer bottom. We are constrained on size because of the cabinets surrounding it. It's one of the highest rated refrigerators for its size and dependability.

There was a time when Sears Kenmore appliances were made by Whirlpool. That's why they were one of the only decent things you could get at Sears.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Along with Craftsman tools, back when those were good.

Oh, Craftsman for sure. Lol, my husband had an auto repair business for thirty years and he only used Craftsman. He used to like to go to Sears and stand around the Craftsman section like a kid in a toy store.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, Craftsman for sure. Lol, my husband had an auto repair business for thirty years and he only used Craftsman. He used to like to go to Sears and stand around the Craftsman section like a kid in a toy store.

Mine too!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He used to like to go to Sears and stand around the Craftsman section like a kid in a toy store.

So did I.  Quality tools, great selection, lifetime warranty - it was fabulous tool shopping.  I still wander in occasionally (well, prior to this COVID year) when I'm at another nearby store in the mall, and I've found a couple of handy gadgets I hadn't thought of, but it's a mere shell of its former self and it has long since ceased being where I go when I'm in need of a specific tool.  (Thankfully, my local independent hardware store is still in business, but even there things aren't what they used to be.)

Now everyone get off my lawn!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My father got paid weekly. We did not have a checking account (Mom, being a non-wage-earning wife had time to drive around to pay bills in person) so every Friday night, we drove off to Sears to cash the paycheck. My brother was too old/cool to go out on family outings like that, so it was just my parents and me.  As soon as my dad was in line to cash the check, i'd leave. After the financial transaction was concluded, my parents would split, too.  I'd be in the record department, looking for Peter, Paul, and Mary or Beatles records, Mom was over in fabrics, intending to sew a dress or something, and Dad was in the Craftsman section. Mom & I were through browsing first and we usually found Dad at the register, buying yet another tool.  On the way home, we'd stop at Dairy Queen.  Whoo Hoooo!  Big night!!

Now I'm 71 and I still have some of those Craftsman tools he bought. They are indestructible.

• Love 21