Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

How do you get Neapolitan, then?

You feed the cows chocolate, strawberries and vanilla beans.   And then through a complicated process make sure each flavor goes to a different one of the cow's four stomachs.  What you really should be asking is how do they make Rocky Road, because I have no idea?

• LOL 10
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

You feed the cows chocolate, strawberries and vanilla beans.   And then through a complicated process make sure each flavor goes to a different one of the cow's four stomachs.  What you really should be asking is how do they make Rocky Road, because I have no idea?

After the cow eats the ingredients, you don't let her run around, mixing them into a smooth blend. You have to have her be still so the ingredients remain discrete.

BTW, I once was driving slowly past a field of cows and two goats. There was one cow who seemed to be pissed at the goats. She came running across the field, making a direct bee-line for the goats. She was moving a quite a fast pace. I don't think I'd ever seen a cow gallop like that.  I should have stopped to see what happened, but there were cars behind me.  On that same trip, I saw two mules frolicking in their corral. I'd never seen frisky mules before, either. I miss my road trips.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

After the cow eats the ingredients, you don't let her run around, mixing them into a smooth blend. You have to have her be still so the ingredients remain discrete.

BTW, I once was driving slowly past a field of cows and two goats. There was one cow who seemed to be pissed at the goats. She came running across the field, making a direct bee-line for the goats. She was moving a quite a fast pace. I don't think I'd ever seen a cow gallop like that.  I should have stopped to see what happened, but there were cars behind me.  On that same trip, I saw two mules frolicking in their corral. I'd never seen frisky mules before, either. I miss my road trips.

My BFF was almost raped by a goat. It came up behind her, grabbed her around her waist and just started going to town. I finally pulled it off of her after I managed to stop laughing.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My BFF was almost raped by a goat. It came up behind her, grabbed her around her waist and just started going to town. I finally pulled it off of her after I managed to stop laughing.

I "gobbled" at a turkey and I must've done a good job, because he came right over to the fence and spread his tail feathers for me.

Does your BFF tell the story as an amusing anecdote now? Or was she vaguely traumatized?  or both?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

I "gobbled" at a turkey and I must've done a good job, because he came right over to the fence and spread his tail feathers for me.

Does your BFF tell the story as an amusing anecdote now? Or was she vaguely traumatized?  or both?

Not traumatized at all. She thought it was funny as hell too. After the goat was penned up, of course.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

We tried to use Flex Tape on a garden hose with a small hole, and it DID NOT work. However, we have extremely good water pressure, so that might be a mitigating factor. We also found that we couldn't use those hoses that were being advertised for a while that curled up when you were done using them (Pocket Hose), because our water pressure would cause them to rupture after a few uses.

That's some water pressure! We have the opposite problem, for example it takes forever for our washer to fill and my hair takes ages to wash and condition. I hate having low water pressure but we have old pipes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

. I hate having low water pressure but we have old pipes.

Our house was built in 1872 and people who lived here in the 50's (when it was a boarding house) have told us the water pressure was always great!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Our house was built in 1872 and people who lived here in the 50's (when it was a boarding house) have told us the water pressure was always great!

I bet your house wasn't built by my FIL and his drunken friends back in the fifties either. 😉

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

We tried to use Flex Tape on a garden hose with a small hole, and it DID NOT work. However, we have extremely good water pressure, so that might be a mitigating factor. We also found that we couldn't use those hoses that were being advertised for a while that curled up when you were done using them (Pocket Hose), because our water pressure would cause them to rupture after a few uses.

Same here with the Pocket Hose.  Our water pressure is intense.  We have a regulator inside, but outside, I can't put the hose on full or I can't control it.

• Love 2

If I had a vegan meat store, I'd refer to it as a "vegan charcuterie." Charcuterie technically means butcher shop/meats, but the concept of vegan charcuterie is I think more easily transparent than a vegan butcher shop.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, janie jones said:

If I had a vegan meat store, I'd refer to it as a "vegan charcuterie." Charcuterie technically means butcher shop/meats, but the concept of vegan charcuterie is I think more easily transparent than a vegan butcher shop.

And since most people will have no idea what a charcuterie is, it will sound all fancy and such!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2021 at 9:20 AM, tres bien said:

Thought best to post this here.

The vegan butcher in Minneapolis that my daughter shops at makes vegan meats and cheeses and like a deli makes vegan sandwiches too

Vegan "cheese" is an abomination.  Cheese is made from milk.  Anything else is just fake.

• Love 8

On 3/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

How do you get Neapolitan, then?

Since cows have four teats, I think you could manage chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla AND chocolate sauce.

• LOL 8
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Vegan "cheese" is an abomination.  Cheese is made from milk.  Anything else is just fake.

Word.  P.S. California Real Cheese is the best because it comes from our happy and contented California cows.  Followed by Wisconsin cheese, I suppose.  This is not including any foreign cheeses though.  I miss true Roquefort cheese.

4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Since cows have four teats, I think you could manage chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla AND chocolate sauce.

No, the green teat gives mint chocolate chip.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

And since most people will have no idea what a charcuterie is, it will sound all fancy and such!

Plus, I'd guess the store sells more of what we consider charcuterie (sliced "meats," etc.) than what we would expect to find at a butcher shop (big huge hunks of raw meat, possibly with bones still attached).

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2

Yes, it's always been a dream of mine to look like a inflatable sex doll.

Right? Although I know some former customers of mine who would have loved me to wear that thing. 

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It took a lot of looking online to discover that the pink mouth thing is a facial exerciser.    

I don’t want to think about what kind of ads you’ll get now.  

• LOL 12
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

When I was a kid home alone I was using a staple gun.  No staples would come out of the gun so I stuck my index finger in front of it and pulled the trigger again and put a staple in that finger.

I ran over to a neighbor's house to ask her if she could pull out the staple.  Well she was on the phone and I got her attention.  She motioned to me that she would help me in a couple of minutes after she was done taking on the phone.  Meanwhile I am bleeding all over the paper towel she handed me.   After she got off the phone she removed the staple and dressed the wound.  Never again did I put a staple gun in front of my finger, lesson learned.  Not quite a lion with a thorn stuck in his paw story, but pretty damn close.  I wasn't mad at her for making me wait, it just hurt really bad.

You're not half as dumb as I am. This happened a couple years ago so I don't even have the excuse of being a kid. There was this giant fly in the house and I smacked it with a rolled up magazine. It went behind a table and I wanted something heavier and longer to reach it because the thing would not die, I grabbed a staple gun out of the kitchen junk drawer and hit it with that. As I did, a staple zinged past my head. A an inch or two closer and would have hit me in the eye.

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I grabbed a staple gun out of the kitchen junk drawer and hit it with that. As I did, a staple zinged past my head.

I assume you mean that you wanted to whack the fly with the gun, as opposed to shooting the fly with a staple?  Because that would be awesome if you could staple the damn thing to the wall as a warning to any other flies hanging around.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I assume you mean that you wanted to whack the fly with the gun, as opposed to shooting the fly with a staple?  Because that would be awesome if you could staple the damn thing to the wall as a warning to any other flies hanging around.

I tried a similar thing when I had a black ant infestation in my bathroom.  I'd squish some with my finger and leave them there as a warning.  Dumb ants didn't heed the warning. I finally got rid of them with cotton balls soaked in a borax/sugar/water solution left out for them to eat.

My mom was cleaning out the banana trees once - the dead leaves needed to be cut off. She was using a meat cleaver. A wee green tree frog jumped onto the back of her left hand and, without thinking, she chopped at it with the cleaver. She had a scar across the back of her hand for the rest of her life - she'd broken the skin, but not damaged anything internally. It could have been SO much worse. But she was very lucky - she could still play piano!  If that had been my hard-luck friend, Janet, she would have cut her hand off.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wouldn't hurt a fly, literally.  I catch them and put them outside. 

I have to get them out of the house as quickly as possible.  My twenty-three pound cat goes nuts when he sees one and he isn't the least bit agile.  He is like a horse on an ice skating rink.🐎  He will clear a coffee table setting everything flying while he chases that fly down.

That wouldn't be a warning.  That would be lunch for the rest of them.  Don't they eat their own?

I tried that borax combination with an ant infested planter that I have on the front exterior porch and it didn't help at all.  I have re-potted those plants several times, but the problem still persists.

We have had problems with black ants getting in our hummingbird feeders. My DH solved the problem with a product called Spectracide ant control. It only kills ants, no other critters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We have had problems with black ants getting in our hummingbird feeders. My DH solved the problem with a product called Spectracide ant control. It only kills ants, no other critters.

You may already know these tips, so I'll post for people who might not.  One tip is to put vaseline on the hook, and another to buy little cups that you fill with water, that are specifically made for hummingbird feeders in order to keep ants out.  

• Useful 1

I used to work in a call center, and you'd get people calling and hanging up until they got a female rep they could say disgusting things to. This one time, the girl at the desk next to me got a call, and I can't remember what she said or did, but it was obvious that it was a pervert and she ended the call. I immediately got a call from someone who informed me that he had heard I liked sucking dick. Part of me wanted to be like, "Oh really? And where did you hear that, exactly." But I just hung up.

@icemiser69 I don't know if you're aware, but you can use the multiquote function to quote things from other threads.

• Useful 2

My mother and her sister (I refuse to call that woman Aunt), both were totally hooked on their soap operas.   They called them their programs, and were fanatics about them.  My mother's sister only got a job when she found one that let her watch her TV while she worked (it was working for their city, and apparently no work was involved), and she even named her son after her favorite actor.  Unfortunately, she misspelled the son's name.     No matter what happened, they watched their shows, and in a particularly engrossing story line, would call each other, and discuss the stories for hours.  This was when in-state long distance was very expensive too.    

A man who was a villain for a long time on a soap was interviewed, and he said after he did something horrible on the show, some woman whacked him with her purse for what he did.    The true fanatics didn't have the capacity to separate an actor from a role.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

I used to work in a call center, and you'd get people calling and hanging up until they got a female rep they could say disgusting things to. This one time, the girl at the desk next to me got a call, and I can't remember what she said or did, but it was obvious that it was a pervert and she ended the call. I immediately got a call from someone who informed me that he had heard I liked sucking dick. Part of me wanted to be like, "Oh really? And where did you hear that, exactly." But I just hung up.

This really happened...I had made chili and Chester, my cat, was begging for some. I put a little bit in a bowl, knowing he was going to hate it, and as I was straightening up from putting the bowl on the floor, the phone rang.  Some guy said, "I hear you have a hot little pussy that needs handling..."  What popped out of my mouth then still stuns me in its appropriateness: "How did you know I was giving my cat some chili?"  The dude hung up & never called again.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't know if you're aware, but you can use the multiquote function to quote things from other threads.

Can you elaborate?  I tried using multiquote, then going to a different thread where I want to be able to reply, but the multiquote box was no longer there.  And if I go to the multiquoted box while still in the same thread, I don't see an option to move it to a different thread.  I've seen people do it, but I can't seem to figure it out!  Thanks!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can you elaborate?  I tried using multiquote, then going to a different thread where I want to be able to reply, but the multiquote box was no longer there.  And if I go to the multiquoted box while still in the same thread, I don't see an option to move it to a different thread.  I've seen people do it, but I can't seem to figure it out!  Thanks!

The quote ## posts box should appear automatically when you switch to the forum in which you want to respond.  If not try these two options:

1. refresh the page
  2. click into the reply box
  • Useful 2
34 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The quote ## posts box should appear automatically when you switch to the forum in which you want to respond.  If not try these two options:

1. refresh the page
  2. click into the reply box

Aha! It only seems to work if you want to go to a different sub forum within a main forum. I was trying to test it out by taking something to the “test” thread. Thanks!

9 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It always brings up feeling of inadequacy in me.  I grew up on a farm, no sidewalks, no sister, just a brother, and when I went to school, it seemed like I was the only girl who didn't know how hopscotch worked.  Other kids made fun of me, and I never did learn.

My Grandfather was a cement worker, so we had sidewalks all around our house. His house was next door, so we had sidewalks connecting our back doors. Sidewalks everywhere!

But nobody in the neighborhood who knew the "rules" of Hopscotch, so, while I could draw the layout, I never knew how to play - that placing the rock in certain squares and picking it up was alien to me.  At school, we had TWO hopscotch layouts painted on the asphalt, right outside the boundaries of the basketball/volleyball court.  A few girls knew all that stuff about the rock, but all I ever did was jump in the squares.  Boys, of course, wouldn't be caught dead playing hopscotch.  Thinking about it now, when you do the one-legged hop, does everyone hop on their left leg, or was that just me?  I am right-handed. I couldn't do that now due to a damaged sciatic nerve down my left leg - I can't always rely on it to do what I want it do and I cannot balance on it at all anymore.

And speaking of girls' games at school, my school had those big ol' hemp jump ropes that made your hands smell funky. We'd come in after recess and then immediately had to put our heads down on our desks to "rest."  Nobody ever thought of letting us wash our hands, so it was really stinky putting your head down atop the hempy hands.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Neither of my children got chickenpox although I'm sure they were both exposed to it. By the time they were 11 and 6 their doctor recommended they get the chickenpox vaccine. 

When my older daughter was 15 and the younger daughter 10, they both got mild cases of chickenpox.

The original shingles vaccine was recommended for adults 60+. I got shingles a few years before that (although it was just starting and I didn't know what it was ) but I went to the ER and was given Valtrex to stop it and it worked. 

At age 60 I got the vaccine but in 2019 Shingrex came out and it was recommended that I get revaccinated, which I did. Some people I know had bad reactions from Shingrex. I didn't besides I'm sure it's much worse to get full blown shingles.

Edited by tres bien
  • Useful 2

I never had chickenpox, and it's so uncommon now I doubt I'll be exposed to it.

But if I was exposed to someone with shingles, I wouldn't get shingles, but could get chickenpox, which could be harsh as an adult ... I guess I need to look into what, if any, vaccine I should get under the circumstances.  (I'm in my late 40s.)

Right now I'm less than three weeks away from being eligible for the COVID vaccine, so I'll be putting all my effort towards securing an appointment for that.  When the dust settles and I next have a regular check-up, I'll ask about the whole chickenpox/shingles thing.  It has never come up before.

I don't know the rules of hopscotch, either (I don't think I ever did; it existed but wasn't A Thing when I was a kid), but, thanks to that commercial, the next time I come across one instead of just walking over it I will hop my way through it.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I never had chickenpox, and it's so uncommon now I doubt I'll be exposed to it.

But if I was exposed to someone with shingles, I wouldn't get shingles, but could get chickenpox, which could be harsh as an adult ... I guess I need to look into what, if any, vaccine I should get under the circumstances.  (I'm in my late 40s.)

Right now I'm less than three weeks away from being eligible for the COVID vaccine, so I'll be putting all my effort towards securing an appointment for that.  When the dust settles and I next have a regular check-up, I'll ask about the whole chickenpox/shingles thing.  It has never come up before.

I don't know the rules of hopscotch, either (I don't think I ever did; it existed but wasn't A Thing when I was a kid), but, thanks to that commercial, the next time I come across one instead of just walking over it I will hop my way through it.

I used to be a hopscotch fanatic. I knew dozens of games and rhymes. Can I remember any of it now? Nope.

• Love 2

I had chickenpox way back in second grade, but I'm in my 30s, so I'm still too young to get the shingles shot. My mom got the shingles shot last year-it knocked her out pretty good for a day or two, but she's glad she had it. If people have been known to get chickenpox again, though, then yeah, maybe I should look into a chickenpox vaccine. 

In another week or so they'll open up the COVID vaccines to all adults here, so my mom and I are going to get our appointment set up for as soon as possible so we can get that taken care of. 

• Love 3

I had chickenpox way back in second grade, but I'm in my 30s, so I'm still too young to get the shingles shot. My mom got the shingles shot last year-it knocked her out pretty good for a day or two, but she's glad she had it. If people have been known to get chickenpox again, though, then yeah, maybe I should look into a chickenpox vaccine. 

I had my first go round with shingles when I was 27. I told the doctor I thought only old people got it and he said no, even babys can get it.

Edited by peacheslatour
Just now, Annber03 said:

If people have been known to get chickenpox again, though, then yeah, maybe I should look into a chickenpox vaccine. 

It's uncommon, for sure, but I don't think it qualifies as rare.  I do know it mostly (but not only) happens in people with vulnerable immune systems or those whose first case was really mild or happened when they were really young, though, so I think those are the people for whom the chickenpox vaccination is recommended even though they've already had it.  (Emphasis on "I think"; again, I've never had it or been vaccinated for it, and never talked to a doctor about it, so this is just what I've picked up via cultural osmosis.)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I had my first go round with shingles when I was 27. I told the doctor I though only old people got it and he said no, even babys can get it.

Oh, wow. Okay, something to keep in mind, then. 

5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's uncommon, for sure, but I don't think it qualifies as rare.  I do know it mostly (but not only) happens in people with vulnerable immune systems or those whose first case was really mild or happened when they were really young, though, so I think those are the people for whom the chickenpox vaccination is recommended even though they've already had it.  (Emphasis on "I think"; again, I've never had it or been vaccinated for it, and never talked to a doctor about it, so this is just what I've picked up via cultural osmosis.)

Appreciate this info, too. I don't remember a whole lot about my experience with chickenpox-I just recall sleeping a lot and it lasted for about a week and a half, I think it was? I don't know how mild/severe it was beyond that. 

• Love 2

My kids brought home the chicken pox to me from their school. I was 24-25, it was miserable to have it as an adult. I called my mom to see if I had had it as a child. She said I had, but a very mild case. So I guess you can get it more than once... I'll worry about shingles another day...

On 3/28/2021 at 6:09 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Thinking about it now, when you do the one-legged hop, does everyone hop on their left leg, or was that just me? 

You're probably just goofy footed. Right-handed people can be goofy and left-handed people can be regular.

I know someone who got shingles multiple times as a child.

• Useful 3

A friend said her younger brother has had multiple cases of shingles, starting in his early 20's.     

Another young cousin (early 20's, in college) started feeling awful, and had terrible headaches, and pain.    She went to the doctor, and felt so awful her mother drove her there.    The doctors were very worried, scheduled all types of tests, and were suspecting a brain tumor.    Her mother called her father to be with them.   Then an older doctor in the practice was called for a consultation, and he heard about the symptoms, and looked at her scalp, and cancelled the other tests.    The girl had shingles on her scalp, not some brain tumor, but the nerve pain was horrible.   

I had the shingles shot (the first one) as soon as I could get my doctor to write a prescription, and I paid every penny for it.   Then when Shingrix was available, I had that prescribed also, but this time the health plan paid for both shots.     I've seen too many people with shingles have the long lasting nerve pain after, so I've taken every precaution I can. 

Also, they can prescribe anti-virals that shorten the length of shingles too, and may help prevent nerve pain that lasts for a long time.  However, that has to be the start of an attack, not days later. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Another young cousin (early 20's, in college) started feeling awful, and had terrible headaches, and pain.    She went to the doctor, and felt so awful her mother drove her there.    The doctors were very worried, scheduled all types of tests, and were suspecting a brain tumor.    Her mother called her father to be with them.   Then an older doctor in the practice was called for a consultation, and he heard about the symptoms, and looked at her scalp, and cancelled the other tests.    The girl had shingles on her scalp, not some brain tumor, but the nerve pain was horrible.   

Oh, lord, that sounds utterly miserable. Poor girl. 

• Love 3